Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord Real World MPG

Comments

• cstilescstiles Member Posts: 465
    You're fast. =) I just corrected it! Thanks....
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Haha - just messing with you. I do that kind of thing ALL the time and have to catch myself and correct it.
  • tankbeanstankbeans Member Posts: 585
    It's funny you should say that the car runs better on premium than on regular. I swear I read a few days ago that the V6 is designed to run on premium. I think it was on Honda's website, not sure though. I remember looking at it and thinking that it was a little strange.

On a side note, in my 4 I recently got 27.5, using the A/C fairly often.

I think I may do some digging and see what I find when it comes to premium versus regular, especially since around here premium is generally around .15 difference. I'll post a link if I can figure out how.
    I know the original poster has since edited this, but he could have been riding the brake. :surprise: Even worse. ;)
  • carzzzcarzzz Member Posts: 282
    I also notice less knocking with Premium fuel. However, I do not see any increase in FE of premium fuel, still under 20 mpg in city (stop & go). Mine is a 07 V6 auto. My shift point is mostly below 2500rpm. In my opinion, if there is a way to disable the Honda Grade Logic, maybe i can go above 20 mpg. This car cannot coast and force me to either brake or give it gas. Also when I apply brake, the Grade Logic downshifts very early and the rpm is always above 1200 to 1500 rpm . My other cars usually below 1000 rpm. It is designed to be driven on hwy rather (30 mpg combined easily 85%hwy/15%city)
    2006/2007 Accord V6 3.0 SOHC Vtec Engine
    244HP under new SAE rating
    255HP under old SAE rating (Assume the from Odyssey)
    265HP under old SAE rating with premium fuel. It is nearly as powerful as TL with 270HP under old SAE with premium fuel.
    Vtec.net says there is about 5 Wheel hp when using the premium fuel on 08s V6 auto.
    Last gen V6 and I4 are better efficient car than this Gen8.
    From what I've read about "grade logic" I don't think that disabling it would do much of anything besides cause your car to shift more often. It will end up hunting around when going up an incline I notice mine, an 03 I4 allows me to coast down hills without having to apply the brake or the gas. I have also noticed that if you put a little more pressure on the gas pedal enough to raise the RPMs just a bit the tendency to downshift is less. I'm not sure how the "grade logic" works exactly, but I would guess that if it were disabled FE would decrease due to the constant back and forth between 4 and 5, or 5 and 3, whatever it happens to be in the 5 speed auto.

I'd ask the people with manuals what they think the net result would be if the grade logic were disabled, what they think the car would do.

For instance there is one pretty large hill that I have to climb every morning, comes right after a smaller hill, and when my lights start to light up the ascending side I give a little more gas pushing it to about 2000, which normally coming into the hill it at around 1800, and it climbs without downshifting. However, if I don't do this my car will get about 3/4 of the way up the hill and then low and behold it shifts down pushing the revs to about 2300.

I would guess in that if I were in your car I wouldn't have to be that involved since yours would have more power to negotiate this hill. However, since I haven't driven a V6 since I had my LeSabre I can't vouch for the differences.
  • packer3packer3 Member Posts: 277
    If your car is pinging with regular I would take it back to the dealer, there are knock sensors in the car to compensate for the fuel change. Higher Octane only explodes faster in a car, no way it adds 10 hp to a car. I doubt it increases the gas mileage by that much, put in gas that's rated in book otherwise it's a waste of money and a higher octane could damage the valves over a period of time.
  • jsmith1975jsmith1975 Member Posts: 22
    Here is some info some might find useful from a long driving vacation we just took.

2007 Accord SE 2.4L 5AT w/ 10,400 miles at the start of the trip
    98% Hwy miles - mostly interstate (estimate)
    2 adults/2 kids
    trunk FULL of luggage
    7-9 MPH over the posted speed limit (78-84 MPH)

4,225 miles total
    130.4 gallons used
    32.4 MPG

I expected it to be a little higher, but it's not bad considering the speeds and extra weight.
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    I expected it to be a little higher, but it's not bad considering the speeds and extra weight.

I would think you would have done better too. Those high speeds were probably worse for mileage than the added weight. How was the AC use? That would be a big factor as well.
    Speeds of 80+ mph are really detrimental to economy. 75 is really a cap to good fuel economy, I've learned.
  • slingshot80slingshot80 Member Posts: 55
    Now have 1,050 miles on my new car. In commuting to work 26 miles each way, mostly highway with some stop & go, 2nd fillup was 25.6 and third fillup was 26. 7. The ECO light is on during most of the driving.
  • ljgbjgljgbjg Member Posts: 374
    I would agree - got 26 at 80 versus 30 at 75 over basically the same stretch of highway with our '08 EXL V6 Sedan. The real problem with anyone posting mileage here is that there are SOOOOOOOO many factors - air temperature, topography, load, tire pressure, speed, manual versus AT, etc. that, frankly, these posts are meaningless.

Let's face it, as I have said before, the biggest issue is topography. Ever drive I-80 across Pennsylvania? A roller coaster. No way you are going to get the same mileage there as driving across Iowa, or if you know it, alligator alley in Florida - perfectly flat. The real issue? Are YOU happy with the mileage you are getting or if it is exceptionally terrifc or lousy. 20 with an I4 - you've got problems - 35 with a V6? What are your secrets!!!???
    20 with an i4 could just be a tremendously heavy foot. ;) I've gotten 17 a couple of times. Mostly during the winter. I know my average on this tank is going to be way down because my mom's friend drove and she drives like a raped ape all the way to the stop lights and then mashes on the brake, plus there is usually lots of jerking as she speeds up. Lately I've been around 29. I'll have to wait and see what this tank gets when I fill up. Going to be scary.
  • larryallen707larryallen707 Member Posts: 174
    70/30 highway/city
    23 mpg.

I was hoping for 25. Maybe next tank!
    Hey all-

I'm sitting at 160 miles and have about 2 ticks left until it reads half. I'm going to cry now. J/K. Anyway, I know that I'm getting better overall, but this tank has just been going out the window lots of things going against. Mom's friend, lead-foot, a/c and stupid people.

Oh well, not going to dwell on it since it won't do me any good anyway.

Just thought I'd post in here.

03 LX I4 coupe,
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    I bet you could get 30 if you changed your spark plugs.
  • jebinc1jebinc1 Member Posts: 198
    Same conditions and same results here (25.7 - 27 MPG typical).
    I don't even know how to get at them. I know it sounds stupid, but I can't even find where they may go. Is all the 'mess' under the hood just for show? By mess I mean the cover saying 2.4 dohc vtec and all that good stuff, or is there something that would need to be removed to get to the spark plugs? I now know how to install them.

What would I need to be looking for to find out if they are in need of replacement? They're probably original and I am coming up on 53,000 miles.
    Got the owner's manual? It's illustrated in my 02 manual. They appear to be right on the front on the 4.
    If it is a DOHC, aren't they between the cam covers?
  • jsmith1975jsmith1975 Member Posts: 22

I would think you would have done better too. Those high speeds were probably worse for mileage than the added weight. How was the AC use? That would be a big factor as well.

I would estimate the A/C was used 85% of the time.
    I took a peak at the manual and it said something about removing the ignition coil and fiddle farten around. It didn't seem complicated, but it seemed a little more involved than it should.

I don't remember if I mentioned it, but it is a DOHC, not trying to 'look' like I'm yelling or anything, but sometimes minor details get lost in the shuffle.
    The manual illustrations are what I used to do it.
    Is there anything that I would need to look for to see if they are in need of replacement.
    They will look ok, the platinum is very tough. It will probably just run better with new ones. I saved my old plugs to take to the dealer for comment when I have my annual inspection. It's important to use anti seize compound and not over tighten the plugs. I use a torque wrench to be safe.
  • heidmanrheidmanr Member Posts: 8
    Filled up today with 1896 total miles. So far overall MPG is 28.07 while driving 70% highway miles and 30% in town. Typically I put cruise on 70, but last few times on 130 mile round trips have done 75-80 MPH. Best tank was 30.04 MPG while lowest tank was 24.81. Overall very satisfied and glad that my numbers overall are in the upper 20's.
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ....overall MPG is 28.07 while driving 70% highway miles and 30% in town. Typically I put cruise on 70, but last few times on 130 mile round trips have done 75-80 MPH.

.....have been driving lately like I was behind the wheel for my first license with some DMV [non-permissible content removed] in the right seat.... (60HWY/40CITY)

....seems to work: last four tanks ups over 1045 miles used 33 3/4 gallons of 87. That is 31 MPG (Someone should tell my V-6 to stop acting like a four.............)

best, ez
    have been driving lately like I was behind the wheel for my first license with some DMV [non-permissible content removed] in the right seat.... (60HWY/40CITY)

....seems to work: last four tanks ups over 1045 miles used 33 3/4 gallons of 87. That is 31 MPG (Someone should tell my V-6 to stop acting like a four.............)

Someone should tell the driver to stop DRIVING like its a four! ;) Just funnin'
    Yeah - what is the point of having the POWER of the V6 if you aren't going to use it!! ;) Again, just funnin too! :P
  • malmouzamalmouza Member Posts: 141
    I have been consistently getting 37 MPG highway, and 26 MPG city (avg. 32 MPG). The speed in highway is between 65 mph and 70 mph, in the city in NEW YORK bumper to bumper between 10 MPH and 25 MPH. I don't slam on the brake at last minute until the cars nose dive into the ground , and I do not start from stand still with the car's nose in the sky and the tires chirping looking for traction. I tried once to drive this car like I use to (defenssively), but still I managed 28 MPG on average between city and highway. One more thing, this is a manual transmission, and I always try to up shift early and down shift later, to avoid reving the engine. with automatic transmission you can not do that, especialy with grade logic that is always trying to downshift as soon as you take your feet off the gas pedal. ...
    Assume you has the best I4 mpg on 08 model, Post #1880 (mikekrause) has the 2nd best mpg with his I4 MT coupe. He could almost get 37 mpg, when going at 55mph. What gallon are you talking about (Imperial /US gallon)? lol
  • matador51matador51 Member Posts: 17
    This is the third trip I've taken to the same 357 mi destination driving ~75 mph. Not more than 10% city driving. There is ~ 3500 km on the car.

Trip #1 - 22.2 mpg
    Trip #2 - 25.6 mph
    Trip #3 - 23.5 mph
  • malmouzamalmouza Member Posts: 141
    I am talking about US gallon. This must be surprise to some people that drive like they are cop chasing a drug dealer; but it is quiet simple; As soon as I get on the highway I shift the gear on fifth and stay at 8 miles per hours above the speed limit, looking at my SCANGUAGE II can see that my MPG is floating between 27 MPG and 48 MPG, it goes up or down depending on head winds or tail winds or little up hill or down hill.
    Last week I made trip from Hershey PA to JFK airport, I managed 38 MPG, but as soon I got into the bumper to bumper traffic on Belt Pkway. NY, the AVG went down to 33 MPG. The whole trip is 400 miles, 200 miles each way. When I refueled after this trip I had to put 13 gallons for full tank. If you do math; I travelled 430 miles with 13 gallons; that's 33.07 mpg on avg. And during this trip I was flowing with traffic I was not crawling on the right lane. Those are the numbers I collected using the SCANGUAGE2 and using the old fashion way of calculating the fuel used during a trip. When it comes to fuel consumption it all comes down to how you drive, if I drive my Accord like a street racer I will still manage to get 25 MPG from the I4 engine. Some people even if they are not racing the fact that they are revving unnecessarily the engine wasting all that energy just to get to next stop light, specially in heavy traffic. You just need to take it easy on the throttle, you're not going to go anymore faster than all those people in that heavy traffic, unless your car can fly, plus trying to drive like jerk will only increase your chance of having an accident or ticket, and wasting more time. I am saying this and feel like an old man trying to advice his kids. Sorry for been long, I just wanted to make clear that driving behavior influence a lot the AVG fuel economy for a specific car model. lol
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Latest tank for me. I4 MT 450 miles 40.6 mpg calculated 39.2 scangauge (been reading a tad low lately need to adjust for the heat). First 190 mile trip was 47+ mpg at 55 mph. next 190 miles was 45 mpg at 60 mph. Rest was in town driving - 70 miles. Went 380 miles at half tank, but filled up because I have a 200 mile trip tomorrow with only one gas station (this is SD).

Lifetime mpg is now at 33.2 calculated for 36,000 miles.
    10 tank rolling average is at 36.4 mpg calculated.
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    .......First 190 mile trip was 47+ mpg at 55 mph.............

Outstanding! (As we used to say in the Navy)

Those are numbers my V-6 can only dream of (apologize for grammar).

best, ez....
    Yes I was Happy. Conditions were very good. Slight tail wind, level terrain, and very little A/C needed.

I actually enjoy the luxury of slowly cruising accross the prarie. Very relaxing. I must be getting old. I will try not to drive with the blinker on.
    Hey all-

I just filled up today and my average ended up being just over 26.6. I don't know if it was because I set the nozzle on the pump to the slowest setting, something I don't normally do, or if it was because I had to use the a/c a fair bit. It's been getting very humid around here lately. I guess I'm still beating the combined mpg for the car so I'm not too upset. I'm starting to wonder if I should increase my tire pressure pretty soon.
  • jhinscjhinsc Member Posts: 399
    Overall I'm happy with my mileage. I have kept track of mileage for every tank of gas on the fuel economy dot gov website. City/highway split is 53/47. :shades:
  • hackattack5hackattack5 Member Posts: 315
    I just got 23 on my first tank also. I know guys at work who have new Accords that tell me they get 27 city and 34 HWY (that is why I bought the Accord) So I hope it gets better.
    Doug
    City/highway split is 53/47.

How do you know with such precision? Do you keep track of your miles on the freeway and on the streets? Seems hard to imagine you could be so precise? Just curious.
  • accordguy0325accordguy0325 Member Posts: 169
    Hello all

I am currently getting between 23-24 mpg in my 2008 EX 4 Accord coupe.... I have about 4,000 miles on the car currently and am thinking of switching to a K&N air filter when I have its first oil change due to its supposed fuel saving benefit.

Has anyone here switched over to a K&N filter for your Accord ? Or used it with a previous Accord ? If so- have you or did you see a mpg improvement upon making the switch ?

Also- Mobil 1 has an advanced fuel economy oil meant for engines that normally use 5W 20- and claims up to a 2% fuel economy gain - over the life of the vehicle saving upwards of $ 500.00-

Has anyone used this oil ? I was thinking of using this instead of regular 5W 20 as well as the K&N filter...

Thanks
    I don't think the K & N filter actually filters as well as the stock filter. Use the weight of oil recommended in your owner's manual.
    The city/hwy split was calculated by the fueleconomy dot gov website. You can only estimate in increments of 10%, so is exact? No, but I think it's close enough. Most of the time, I drive a 50/50 split between city/hwy. I think people should consider not just the miles driven in each mode, but how much time is spent in each mode. If most of your city driving is more stop than stop/go, I would weight more toward city. 10 min spent going nowhere at 0 mpg at fast food driveup windows or stoplights cannot be overcome by like time or distance of hwy driving at 34 mpg, and then expect 26 to 28 mpg overall. I crack up when I read complaints of low mpg - 99.9% of the time, it's their driving habits, nothing else.
    That's my point. Who knows exactly how much they spend city/highway and even if you do know exactly how was this exact measured (time, miles, etc....). I thus think you might be better off just leaving it at 50/50 rather than 53/47 because saying 53/47 just sounds silly. Just my two cents. Or is that 2.1 cents?
    I use the 0w-20 Mobil 1 advanced economy. Love it.
    Quite frankly, I don't know how the split is calculated since you can only choose in 10% increments. If you want to say 50/50, fine with me. I'm happy with my mileage regardless.
    I'll be quick since I'm worn out!

I drove from Birmingham to Gulf Shores and back to Birmingham (all in Alabama) in my '06 Accord 2.4L 5AT. I drove 547.6 miles, used 14.7 gallons, and garnered 37.25 MPG. This includes 50 or so miles of mixed city driving (35-55mph limits with red lights), idling for 15 minutes at a car wash, and a majority of 72 MPH interstate driving on I-65. I used A/C 100% of the time. Oil life at the end of the trip was 10%, and I'm getting it changed tomorrow! :)

I reached the "half" (actually around 7 gallons used) line at 268 miles, the low-fuel light came on at 481 miles, and was just below the red "E" line when I re-filled at 547 miles.

Have a great day!

TheGraduate
    Congrats - but I still say this whole board is meaningless other than for bragging rights, because there are SO many variables to fuel economy - altitude, topography, traffic (regardless of highway vs city), tire pressure, weather, temperature, The only real concern would be if your mileage was extraordinarily poor. Otherwise the EPA gives a range - if you are within it everything is probably fine. But a 200 mile trip across flat highways is not going to give the same mileage even in the same car as 200 miles across the Rockies!

And anyone who talks about how many miles they have on 1/2 a tank also does not understand how the gas gauges work. If truly 1/2 a tank, why then did I have 300 miles on half a tank on my car, and then not double it before having to fill up, driving essentially the same road conditions? I have never gotten the same distance out of the second half of a tank of gas as the first..
  • dpmeersmandpmeersman Member Posts: 275
    I've noticed the same thing with all the cars I've owned including my 08 Accord. Typically the second half of the tank returns about 25% less in miles than the first half.