Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord Real World MPG

Comments

• glanwinglanwin Member Posts: 28
    No, 70 mph only in CA :mad:. AZ do allow 75 mph on highway :P.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I'll have another trip to report on when I get back from the beach. Should be another 700 miles to report.

This will be on dad's 2005 EX I-4 AUTO Accord with 39,000 miles. The weather looks cool enough for no A/c, but warm enough for an easy load on the engine. I'm hoping for 36mpg this time. I only managed in the 35's last trip, but I drove 80 as opposed to 75, and used the sunroof some.

I'll check in Monday.

thegrad
  • jhinscjhinsc Member Posts: 399
    On my second tank, I went 358.2 miles on 13.722 gallons. That's 26.1 mpg. I think I'm liking this mileage! It sure beats my previous car, an 02 Infiniti I35 that averaged 23 mpg on premium. Now I wonder what kind of mileage I'll get if I take it on the open road for a long trip. The opportunity may come up in the next several months. :shades:
  • mattgg1mattgg1 Member Posts: 191
    I will be buying a new Honda Accord 4 cyl. in the next few months, and I'm somewhat concerned about the MPG posts that I have read.

I realize it's difficult to determine real-world MPG from these posts. However, my 1992 Acura Integra (160K miles) routinely gets 35 MPG on the highway (flat Ohio interstates) while driving 70 MPH. FYI...the EPA highway rating for this car is 29 MPG.

I haven't seen many posts reporting 35 MPG highway. Also, since my Integra gets 5-6 MPG over the EPA estimate, shouldn't it be plausible to get close to 40 MPG in a new Accord, with an EPA rating of 34 MPG?
  • waterguy4waterguy4 Member Posts: 11
    After 1600 miles at 50/50 city/highway use, I'm averaging 30.0 mpg. Lowest was 23.0 on snowy roads, all in town. Highest was 34.5 driving over passes in the Rocky Mtns. Am anxious to see how it does on the open road. All in all, am very satified with my selection of 4-cyl, although that 6-spd V6 was awfully tempting.
    Tank of gas going TO the beach I got 40 MPG even (243 miles, 6.08 gallons = 39.97, but close enough). I drove approx 80 MPH, I filled up right along the highway and didn't stop for the entire 243 miles. I realize it is a small amount of fuel used before filling up, so we'll say 40MPG is an estimate, with room for a MPG either way, kapeesh?

On the return trip, my dad was sick to his stomach, and I drove 90 most of the way (too fast, i know). I got 323 miles on 9.9 gallons which equates to 32.6 mpg. On the whole trip I managed exactly 35.375 mpgs. 566 miles/16 gallons.

PS, the second tank includes putting around Gulf Shores at 30-40 mph for about 50 miles worth.
  • tx1911tx1911 Member Posts: 1
    Hello guys. I am getting a Honda Accord sometime this year. I am torn between the V6 and I4 engines. I have read the earlier posts. My wife will be the main driver, driving in town back and forth to work, picking up kids, etc., total daily driving miles est. @ less than 10 miles a day. Maybe a couple times a year we go on a long trip over 500 to 600 miles. We live in Abilene, TX ( pop. 115,000 ). Would their be a big difference in gas mileage in the V6 vs. the I4 ? What do you guys think ?
    In mixed driving (6 miles @70mph, 10 miles @10-35mph) I average 27-29mpg in my 2006 inline-four cylinder. I have never found a need for more power. Most on the Accord boards will say that the I-4 is best in class, but the V-6 is powerful enough to make you giddy!

Most find that EPA numbers are about right for these cars (some will disagree). I actually got 40mpg (see post #258) on a recent trip in the I-4.

A recommendation: Drive the I-4; punch it, drive around town, see if you have enough power. If you do; GET IT! If you drive the V-6 first, you'll be led to believe the 4 doesn't have enough power; when in reality, it has as much power as the V-6s of 9 years ago!

Don't tell anyone, but I actually touched 105MPH when trying to get to a bathroom :blush: ; the 160 horsepower 2005 model had no problem getting to that speed, and the 2006 models have even more power than the 2005 I was driving!
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ......getting a Honda Accord sometime this year....torn between the V6/I4....wife the main driver, driving in town......couple times a year we go on a long trip over 500 to 600 miles.

Would their be a big difference in gas mileage in the V6 vs. the I4 ?

What do you guys think ?

Previous post makes a lot of sense...........

FWIW
    ..a coupe of givens.........

A. your wife drives like my girl (not an engineer)
    B. you are part of the 80 per cent: auto trans

..... GET THE FOUR

...on the freeway, my V-6 experience pushes hard on the four's fuel efficiency.....still there's a measurable difference................

Both cars are quite well-engineered.

best, ez..
    Both cars are quite well-engineered.

I agree. It's not a question of right or wrong here; for you, tx1911, it is a question of right and more right. That, my friend, only you can decide by driving the car.
  • harryliuusaharryliuusa Member Posts: 22
    I have a 05 EX-V6, it gets 18.6 mpg when it is new driving on strickly local. At rush hour, it took about one hour to go 20 miles to get there. This si from my wife's driving.

From my daughter's driving to and back to HS, about 4 to 50 miles one way. She gets 16/18 (winter/summer).

Whe I drive it to work, I got 22 to 25 on 25 miles of local roads but straight and sometimes seppds up to 55/65.

Dies it sound reasonable to any of you having the V6?
    Every time I looked at the trip computer, my is broken seeing 15.9MPG...
    Certainly your mileage will vary based on your driving habits. I did have to adjust mine somewhat with my 06 EX V6 5A. I found that it has less rolling resistance than my previous 02 Infinit I35. I had to learn to anticipate a stop sign or red light a little earlier and start coasting sooner before braking to a stop. It was little tricky since I also want to move with the flow of traffic and not hold anyone else up. The thing I can't stand is someone who obviously is driving to "save" gas but they'll have a long line of cars behind them gunning to get around, because they're too slow to move away from a light/stop sign, or they'll start coasting to a light/stop sign way too early. This drives people nuts!

Since my first tank of gas almost 1 month ago, I have been averaging 25.5 to 26.5 mpg. I don't have any open highways where I live, but the roads sometimes allows me to get up to 60-65 mph between lights. On my 13 mile drive to the office, I have 4 stop signs and 5 lights to go through, so I consider my driving to be 50/50 city/hwy. :D
  • harryliuusaharryliuusa Member Posts: 22
    25 to 26 MPG? That's amazing!

I just had my new 06 EX-V6 driving back from dealer's lot.
    A 35 miles of drive on I-495 (DC area), some stop and go on interstate but not bad.
    25MPG is what I got.
    I just filled up with my 4th tank of gas. MPG's is holding steady at 26.5 mpg. I'm lovin it! :shades:
  • chedonnachedonna Member Posts: 2
    My last drive down to Parris Island, SC in May, 05 - a nine hour 2 tank trip - gave me 38.6 mpg on 95% highway averaging between 65/70 mph. I was stoked. Now, I'm barely scraping in at 27. My car is tuned in and maintained just as well now as it was last year so it's gotta be the gas. I don't know what they've added to our fuel in VA but I don't like it. I'd rather pay an extra $.30/gal than lose over 10 mpg. Think about it... If you're spending $2.20/g and getting 27 to a gallon, that's $.08/mile. But $2.50/g at 38m/g is only $.065/mile. Multiply that times the 50,000 miles I've put on my car in the past two years... $750 in savings over two years. Shoot, that's more than half what I paid for the car. :mad:
    My last drive down to Parris Island, SC in May, 05 - a nine hour 2 tank trip - gave me 38.6 mpg on 95% highway averaging between 65/70 mph. I was stoked. Now, I'm barely scraping in at 27....

You're saying with 95% highway driving, you're now only getting 27 mpg? That's a big drop! Did you change tires, or maybe brakes are dragging? What about emissions - does it pass currently? :confuse:
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,511
    MPG seems to be stabalizing on my '05 EX-L 4 cyl/5 seed (now up to 2,500 miles.

Last 2 tanks, all local running around, have been 24.5-25. Slightly better than my Scion tC did in the same usage.

For the driving I don, that isn't bad, since it is a mix of stop/go, lots of short trips, mayny on/off cycles. I did get 33+ on the one road trip I did do with it.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

....trust me (stick), your MPG will improve........

...at 2500, your engine is still tite/breaking in.....

Christ! I got a six and I've pushed real hard on 40.....

...these are great automobiles.......

all the best, ez..
  • davidholzmandavidholzman Member Posts: 2
    '99 Accord LX, 2.4L, 5 speed stick, 97k miles

Driving is mostly 35-50 on rural roads with few traffic lights; some highway ~70mph, some city. Currently have snows on, and it gets 30-32. Same mileage on trips, 70-75mph.

This is slightly off topic, but I find the engine works better with Shell than other, non top-tier gasolines (for more info google "top tier gasoline"). It had started to feel sluggish last December and the mpg was down a bit. I filled up w/ Shell before a 400 mile trip, and by the time I reached my destination, the car was back to its old self.

David
    I haven't seen many posts reporting 35 MPG highway. Also, since my Integra gets 5-6 MPG over the EPA estimate, shouldn't it be plausible to get close to 40 MPG in a new Accord, with an EPA rating of 34 MPG?

It is very plausible; in fact, I recently achieved 40 (39.96 if you nitpick like me) miles per gallon in my father's 2005 Accord EX-4-cyl. The lowest mileage I ever get in my 2006 Accord EX-4 cyl is 28ish (mostly in-town, with a few 25 miles interstate stints mixed in). On the last two trips I have taken, I average 80 MPH; one trip returned me 36.43 MPG (my BRAND NEW car wasn't much broken in) and my dad's 2005 which got me the 40 MPG (it has 40,000 miles and is loosened up).

If you can get 6 MPG over in that old Integra, you can surely do it in one of these Accords. The best I have ever gotten in my 1996 Accord is 33 MPG (EPA lists 23/31 for it), or 2 MPG over hwy estimate.
    remember, the Accord is much bigger/heavier, with a larger engine. A civic is much closer in concept to an old Integra, and will likely get you more MPG than you are used to.

Even so, the Accord gets very good MPG given the room, features, power, comfort, etc.

• desertmom99desertmom99 Member Posts: 19
    A while back I had posted that I was only getting about 25 mpg on freeway driving that is more like city driving (southern California). Some of you reassured me that I was getting appropriate mileage for the type of conditions that I was driving in.

Last weekend I drove from a suburb north of Los Angeles to San Diego and back. I was not able to use cruise control and drove at speeds ranging from 75 to 85 mph, mostly averaging 80 mph. I was able to get 30 mpg on that trip and although it is not as high as some other drivers are getting, I was quite happy with that.
    I'm glad your mileage is improving, albeit slowly. Stand by, it will likely continue to improve.
    leaving this afternoon. I won't be driving, but Dad will, in his 2005 EX 4 cyl Auto. I'll report on mileage and conditions when we get back. Maybe he can settle down and get 34+ MPGs instead of going 85 MPH-90MPH.
    '05 EX-L 5 speed, now with 2,500 miles on it. Got 25.25 on the latest fill, up from 24.5ish on the last 2.

This is all local around town stuff, no highway trips. If anything, this tank had even less short highway trips.

So, seems to be settling into a nice 25ish range around town. I will take a road trip in a few weeks. Hoping to push 35 on that one!

......So, seems to be settling into a nice 25ish range around town. I will take a road trip in a few weeks. Hoping to push 35 on that one!

...stick:

...with the 6M: 25-27 around the state capital...

...on I-5: wide range: 30 - 38. (speed/wind/heat factor) ..

..unless you're Roger Rocket, your I4 should easy surpass my numbers............

best, ez..
  • 94accord_lover94accord_lover Member Posts: 42
    Auto trans., constant short trip rural driving. I drive 11 miles to my high school and back every day, along with a few trips to town a week. Roads are curve filled and hilly. I am a leadfoot, jackrabbit starts are my specialty :shades: . I usually get in the range of 23-25 m.p.g. with my style of driving. I can't say im thrilled, but i love my car anyways :) . Hey, anyone else having problems with an incorrectly reading fuel gauge? i can go about 250 miles until it reads empty and only put 10 gallons in it until it says full. I know it's a 17 gallon tank, so what's up? :confuse: any suggestions or experiences would be nice. thanks ya'll. ;)
    Sat for an hour in traffic on the way down before being able to go 80ish. Got 31 MPG on the way down. ON the way home we averaged 84MPH or so and got 34 MPG on the nose (336 miles on 9.8 gallons).
    I filled up my 7th tank of gas and my mpg's are holding steady at 26 mpg. So far this is about 3 mpg more than my previous Infiniti I35, and on regular rather than premium that I had to use before. Very happy so far. I'll be going on a trip in a couple of weeks, so I'm curious to see what mileage I will get on the open road. :shades:
    Is just because of the type of driving I usually do. Most trips are probably less than 4 miles, many are 1-2, lots of lights/stops putting around town, cold starts, all the things that tank mileage. I did get 28 one tank where I actually managed to take a few short trips (maybe 15-20 miles on a highway). If I lived in a more rural area, or drove longer steady-state distances, I would get better.

I pulled over 33 on a trip to Va, with 4 people and lots of stuff, that included some local driving, so I know it will get better mpg if I let it stretch it's legs.

That sounds pretty impressive (25 MPG) with such short trips!
  • sammymsammym Member Posts: 19
    After reading most of this discussion, I'm even more undecided on choosing between a I4 and a V6! Mileage was a concern for me initally in going with the V6 but a 26 MPG average sounds pretty darn good! I know I'll be driving a new accord by next weekend. You guys got any last pearls of wisdom for me in chosing between the two engines? "thegraduate," you're right, the I4 has plenty to get me around and is all I need, but the V6 is so good i'm just deciding if I should fork over the extra 2 grand. I got a couple of price quotes for both cars and my checkbook ready!!!

On another note, any other issues (maintenance, repairs, etc.) with the V6 that anyone has experienced? Thanks guys!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi sammym - let's take that part of the conversation back to the main Accord discussion since this one is specifically for reporting mileage. ;)
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    I've filled up four times now and I'm averaging about 34 mpg. 33.3 is the lowest and 34.8 is the best. This is mostly freeway driving but a fair amount of heavy stop and go traffic plus the around town driving as well.

It is interesting to note that the trip computer (I have the Navi) isn't all that accurate from tank to tank. I do like the "History" feature when you set it to reset after each fill up.
    That's impressive stuff, but a manual with the same gearing as an automatic SHOULD be getting better numbers (than my 30 MPG). Congrats on the $$$ saved!

I'm happy I got the I-4, since gas just jumped from $2.69 to $2.79 today here in B'ham.
    I filled the tank for the first time this weekend on my 2006 Accord 4 cyl. Auto.

The first 400 miles, approximately half of which were highway miles, yielded exactly 30 MPG.

I am happy with number, considering it is a green car and half of the miles were spent in city/suburban/rush hour driving.

I expect to see mid-high 30's for pure highway driving once the car is broken in.
    Sounds about right. Congrats on the new purchase! I'm at 5,400 happy miles and counting, now!
    ......I expect to see mid-high 30's for pure highway driving once the car is broken in.

..........things you may know: in it's infinite wisdom, the EPA hangs the highway number 34 on your car...........

..........things you may NOT know: that esteemed number has been detuned - again by your friendly government agency - by 20 per cent.........

..........In my experience, any competent driver who so wishes, can easily exceed 35 with the well engineered 4 cylindro........

..ez.. (former minor gov't official....who - like those retired generals - will now speak)
    EZ -

Based on my past experience, I concur with all of the points you made.

Prior to buying the new Accord, my primary car was a 1992 Acura Integra automatic with 160K miles currently on the odometer. The EPA Highway rating for this car is 29 MPG.

I've owned this vehicle for the past 9 years, and routinely get 35 MPG during highway driving in the Integra.

Based on this experience, I hope to get an additional 2-6 MPG over the EPA highway rating in my new Accord.
    Prior to buying the new Accord, my primary car was a 1992 Acura Integra automatic with 160K miles currently on the odometer. The EPA Highway rating for this car is 29 MPG.

I've owned this vehicle for the past 9 years, and routinely get 35 MPG during highway driving in the Integra.

Based on this experience, I hope to get an additional 2-6 MPG over the EPA highway rating in my new Accord.

Your hope is not unfounded.

I can relate. I commonly get 33 MPG (70MPH cruise) in my 31 MPG HWY rated 1996 Accord LX, and average 36-37 MPG on the highway in my 2006 Accord, and have gotten as high as 40MPG.
  • semantic2semantic2 Member Posts: 28
    recently i got 383.4 miles on my 99 Honda Accord 4 cyl SDN with 104,000+ miles. Filled in 13.544 gallons so it came out to close to 28 mpg now the only thing is my signal light for the gas near empty did not come on. So I figure I could have made it to 400 miles easy since i do mostly highway driving. was pretty nice. Been averaging 370 miles to the tank, wondering how many miles a 2006 Accord EX SDN should give me.
    The gas tanks in the Accords have been 17.1 gallons for more than a decade, now. Compute mileage accordingly (for example, at 30 MPG, you'd get about 500 miles before you ran out of gas (actually 510 miles). You'd want to fill up at about 400-450 miles assuming 30 MPG. Just multiply gallons by MPG number expected.
  • hermannhermann Member Posts: 38
    to the Ozarks Mountains in NW Arkansas from Kansas City.I drove 1867 miles and averaged 33 MPG. The highest was 33.4 and the worst was 32.7 MPG. On my most recent tank around town and a 30 miles trip each way 4 times a week I got 30.5 MPG. The I-4 5AT continues to impress even in a hilly curvy environment..The engine loves to rev and it doesn't really seem to affect the mileage. Plus the engine sounds so nice especially between 4-6K on the tach.

Dan
    2005 Sedan I-4 5AT
    Yes I know that, but has any one been able to successfully get above 400 miles on the newer Honda Accord 4 cyl SDN in years 2005-06? I haven't seen many posts where anyone has been able to hit above 400 miles yet. It doesn't matter to me if you compute it all mathematically when the number on the trip computer tells you exactly how many miles you have driven on the tank. Understandablely you would need to make sure that you calculate the amount of gas you put in minus the previous amount of gas that you had to get the most accurate reading of amount of gas used in the honda accord 17.1 gallon tank which at most you could probably only fill close to 14 gallons and never reaching the 15-16 gallon fillup before the warning light went on. Also note the EPA ratings for the 99 Accord vs an 06 Accord are different even though same size tank.
    Let me state, before you go on, that I don't know what you mean by SDN. If you are referring to "sedan", that doesn't matter, because coupe and sedan achieve same mileage on all trim levels of Accord.

Now, I regularly reach 400 miles on my tanks of gas in my new 06 I-4. The light usually comes on about 420-440 miles for me (I average 30 MPG in mixed 50/50 driving; I'm fairly slow in accelerating unless a need to punch it arises).
    Yes, I meant a SDN and yes it should matter. For a honda accord CPE AT on LX trim the weight is 3122 lbs and an ex has 3155 while a Sedan has 3201 lbs for an LX trim and 3239 lbs for an EX trim. If you can reach 420-440 then you are getting great gas mileage even though the EPA ratings on Honda's website say for both CPE and 24/34 on all trims. In real life that's not possible when you have a CPE that is lighter in weight than a Sedan. It should theoretically be much higher in real life. That would be the same as saying that a Civic coupe and Civic Sedan would get the same gas mileage even though one vehicle is lighter than the other. I only wanted to compare sedans in the 4 cyl range of the honda accord and see if anyone has been able to consistently get over 400+ miles and maybe closer to 500 miles. it seems like you have been consistent with your 420-440 miles and that's great.
    300 mile quick tri in my '05 EX 5 speed (4 cyl) returned about 34mpg. Mostly highway, running around 70-75, but also some local driving, and a trip to NYC. So, plenty of stop signs, toll booths, etc.

I seemed to do real good on the open road parts. Probably got killed by the trip into the city, since that included 45 minutes of creeping to get out of Shea stadium's parking lot, plus rush hour out of th ecity.

I assume if it was purely highway I would have pulled a legit 35mpg. Pretty impressive given the comfort level, room, etc of the Accord.

• dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    100 lbs of weight makes very little difference in mileage. Hardly measurable. The EPA allows cars to use the same mileage tests if they are withing 500 lbs of each other.
    The weight difference is incredibly slight. Shall we also forget the drag difference if you are going to talk about 80 pounds?
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    ok - let's also decide not to factor in the weight of the driver, his/her clothing, water bottle / big gulp, laptop and accessories... ;)

thegraduate - have you got an automatic or manual?