Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru's fortunes sinking - can they turn it around?

1575859606163»

Comments

• nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Shifty just started a separate discussion on this, and I wasn't aware of what you mentioned here - that the Forester being sold in January 2008 was still the old model? I couldn't remember when it came out. So is it pretty safe to say that the Forester is pretty much entirely responsible for Subaru sales being up 8% for the month?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I'm not certain but I'd bet on it. I read a headline from Automotive News about the 8%, no detailed breakdown. I'm sure we'll see that soon.

Yeah, January 2008 they were still selling the last generation Forester. Even in March supply was very limited.

So April onwards will be key, same model vs. same model.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Bottom line, in 2008 there were 3 car companies that INCREASED their sales...

Rolls Royce
    Mini
    Subaru

Of those the only one that sells more than 2 models is Subaru...

Period, undisputable FACTS...

-mike
    Subaru Guru and Track Instructor
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    "Of those the only one that sells more than 2 models is Subaru...

Period, undisputable FACTS... "

And that means what?
    They're the only automaker with significant sales volume that grew.

Mini is basically a subsidiary of BMW anyway.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    ummm... Not sure I agree with that.

Mini is a separate brand, just as is Lexus, Dodge, etc. Yeah, it may be owned by BMW, but it's a brand unto itself.

Bob
    Mini sales were up more with the addition of the Clubman (and the intro of the revised Cooper) than Subaru's were with the debut of the new Forester and '09 WRX!

Two brands that had the exactly right product at the exactly right time for the market. ;-)

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Unlike Scion, which did the exact opposite (cars grew just as shoppers moved towards smaller cars).
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    All this talk of Subaru dropping out of the WRC makes me pipe in here, though a little late to be timely to the conversation. The WRC's new Super 2000 class rules specify transverse-mounted engines only. More than Subaru leaving the WRC, the WRC left Subaru. There's no way a small manufacturer is going to redesign their entire engine design philosophy simply to compete in WRC.

http://www.fia.com/en-GB/sport/regulations/Pages/FIARallyChampionships.aspx
    What a strange rule?!
    That's the problem with all series like the WRC, too many odd rules. One might come to the conclusion that some are designed specifically to exclude a single manufacturer.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "Despite bucking the downward U.S. sales spiral, Subaru parent Fuji Heavy Industries reported Tuesday it had widened its loss forecast, largely due to writing off components supplied to bankrupt aircraft-maker Eclipse Aviation Corp., of Albuquerque, New Mexico. Fuji supplied the wings for the Eclipse aircraft.

Fuji said its net loss may total $233 million for the year ending March 31 and it won't pay a year-end dividend for the first time in 14 years."

Subaru and Mitsubishi Among Japanese Makers Seeking Government Loans (AutoObserver)

is going to sink Subaru just when it pulls off the neatest hat trick in the book - being the only automaker with increasing sales in the deepest recession since the 30s!

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    I could be wrong (really, I mean it), but I think later this year, once the comparable sales numbers include the months from last year when the new Forester was available, you'll see that Subaru sales have tanked similarly to other Japanese manufacturers... (is that a run-on sentence, or what?).

Waiting patiently to be proven wrong...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Subaru sells a half dozen different models, not just the Forester, and the fact remains that for CY 2008 they were the only ones to be up for the year.

If Subaru is the only profitable unit of FHI, maybe it would be better for Sube to be bought by Toyota, they already own 19.9% is it? As much as I don't like to think of Subaru being owned by another automaker, the fact is FHI is dragging Subaru down.

Of course, would FHI sell? Probably not.

• leighracinleighracin Member Posts: 1
    I know this is a response to an old post, but I came across it and figured I would resond...Sioux City, IA now has a Subaru dealer. www.jensen.subaru.com
This discussion has been closed.