Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Murano vs Toyota Highlander vs Subaru B9 Tribeca vs Honda Pilot

ostaosta Member Posts: 9
edited July 2014 in Acura
Hi all!
I am currently checking out the above mentioned mid size sub 40K SUVs. I was surprised not to find a comparison of the Highlander and Murano and thought I would add the new Tribeca too.

I am looking for Sat Nav as a very important feature all three cars have it available though at the high end scale.

I am looking for advice and ideas that I'm sure others have considered before me. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• cpp788xcpp788x Member Posts: 47
    Hi,
    When the smoke clears it basically comes down to 5 things:

1. - Gas Mileage - Murano is the best unless you go for a Highlander hybrid.
    2. - Features - the Tribeca gives you a lot of features standard that you need to upgrade to get in the other models. You need Nav so that's not really an issue
    3, - Space - Tribeca wins here but not by much..
    4.- Drive it - which ever you like better wins - they are all good cars.
    5. - The dealer - A reputable dealer is the most important thing to me! I'm in NJ and the highway dealers are mostly crooks - They treat you like cattle.

The Tribeca has the lowest center of gravity of the 3 with the largest wheels (w/4 wheel vented disc brakes) on paper it should be more stable on the road. Again you need to drive it and wait for reviews to come out.

I have a 2001 base Forester and it handles like a cheetah. very surefooted. For me it's Subaru.

Charlie
  • mikegia5mikegia5 Member Posts: 4
    I just bought the Murano last week and I really wanted the Nav system but decided against it because they are making some very nice portable car units (Magellan 700, Garmin 26xx?, Tom Tom) that are a lot cheaper; you can take from one car to another, or take with you on vacation when you rent a car.

Good Luck!
    Mike G., Phoenix
  • sweet_subiesweet_subie Member Posts: 1,394
    I completely agree with mike on NAV.

I just bought the Garmin c330, it is better than any in-car NAV. It is simply amazing, the accuracy, easy of use, portability.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    I think the Murano would win on features. There are some features that you simply cannot get on the Tribeca -- memory seats, power exit, tilt & telescoping steering wheel, auto up/down power windows, power adjustable pedals, Smart Key, upgraded Bose stereo. These are all useful features standard on the SE. Plus, if you order the nav and DVD, it comes with rearview monitor, which I'm not sure if it is available on the Tribeca.

Also I would expect the Murano to be faster, since it has a decided torque advantage.

I think styling is a draw, each has it's own love-it-or-hate-it front end.
  • ostaosta Member Posts: 9
    I currently have a pocket PC Bluetooth based GPS system which works well and I will continue to use that for travel, I have used it in both the USA and European travel. What I want to get away from is all the cords and plugs I have running all over the place between the GPS, ipod and portable Sirrus radio.

The Murano solves all those problems quite easily. But I love the "classic styling" of the Highlander, when I see a silver or gold one drive by my heart goes pitterpat. I currently have a 2001 Outback and I still do like the Subaru. The Tribeca and the Murano have such modern styling I'm not 100% sure I'm comfortable with for the next 3-5 years, though perhaps the Highlander will look real old in that same 3-5 years, a Toyota dealer showed me the prototype Highlander 2007 and it looks more like the Murano and Tribeca than the current Highlander.

I'm still investigating pricing but it seems the Murano and Tribeca MSRPs would be about 2-3k more than the Highlander but I'm not quite sure what actual deals can be negotiated. I would think it would be hardest for the brand new Tribeca though we have bought 2 Subarus fron the same dealer and are happy doing business there.
  • tigger5753tigger5753 Member Posts: 43
    Funny thing - when I first saw pics of the B9X, I thought it looked a lot like the Murano, except for the front end.

I've only looked at the B9X brochure so I can't really comment on it, other than it has a nice lookin interior, but I don't like the exterior at (especially the front end).

I've driven a Highlander and the ride was very sedan like. Interior was typical Toyota - simple and functional. To me, it was a bland vehicle, not an exciting ride.

I ended up getting a Murano. Ride is more sports-car like - very smooth ride, but if you push it, it responds like a sports car. It did take me a while to get used to the exterior before I considered it. Compared to the B9x and the Highlander, you get a lot of equipment - Bose 6 disc CD, HID lamps, Moonroof, power front/heated seats, auto climate control,etc. Also standard that few vehicles have are:

reclining rear seats, power adjustable pedals, CVT (which is so smooth)

And like bodbl3 mentioned, birds-eye NAV, smartkey, and a rear backup monitor are available.

Test drive them all, and your instincts will decide for you. Good luck!
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Why is the Pilot not included in this comparison title?

Bob
    The ones I listed were the three I'm currently looking at. I guess the Honda Pilot is in the same category and there are probably several other vehicles that fit too. I'm interested in other comparisons as well.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Fwiw, the Toyota Highlander vs. Honda Pilot discussion is still active (barely) although the Honda Pilot vs. Nissan Murano one faded away.

Steve, Host
    Steve, why can't these threads be combined? It seem silly to leave the Pilot out of this discussion. I know the original poster left it out because he wasn't considering it, but I think it should be included as I know others would be cross-shopping the Pilot with these vehicles listed in this thread.

Bob
    It's funny; when I first saw pics of the Tribeca I flashed on the Murano and the FX35. The Highlander is a bit curvy I guess, but the Pilot strikes me as more of a minivan on asteroids. Both look bigger than the Subbie in the photos.

Nosing around the Subaru B9 Tribeca (B9X) board, it seems that Subaru aimed at the Pilot and Highlander market.

We aren't adverse to tossing more cars into the mix if people want to.

No one has mentioned the MDX either (but it's early yet).

Steve, Host
    I was at a Subie dealer the other day and saw a salesman's pocket "sales aid" in which Subaru was comparing the Tribeca to its primary competition, which are:

• Pilot EX (not LX).
    • Murano SL (that trim level only)
    • Volvo XC90 2.5 AWD
    • VW Touareg V6

I know there are others too, but those are the ones SOA feels are the primary competition, as the others were not listed.

Bob
    I think, as Steve said, a lot of people think of the MDX and (especially) the Pilot, as AWD minivans. Their full-size widths also don't lead to a natural comparison with the Tribeca and Murano. I'm actually kind of surprised people include the Highlander in this comparison, since it offers none of the styling and driving excitment that the Tribeca and Murano offer. But I suppose it's comparable in terms of price and size.
    primary competition

If you'll allow me a bit of Monday morning cynicism, I think I'd be worried about cannibalizing Outback sales....

Steve, Host
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Reclining rear seats - actually the Tribeca has that in the 2nd and 3rd rows, so it takes the edge here. The 2nd row slides fore-and-aft up to 8", too.

Tribeca's DVD is the biggest in the SUV segment - 9". Most are 7" nowadays, only the Honda Odyssey minivan has gone to a 9" screen.

Just for fun, I priced the other two out just like a loaded Tribeca (NAV, DVD, heated leather seats, big rims, etc.), and MSRP comes out to $38k for the Tribeca, $39k for the Highlander, and $41k for the Murano.

The latter two may have rebates and deeper discounts so I think price is a wash, pick the one you like best. Murano does offer some unique features but then it'll cost more so like I said, price is roughly the same.

-juice
    In fact, I bet a lot of Outbacks will be cross-shopped with the Tribeca.

rsholland, "The Forums Test Drive Team" #157, 23 May 2005 6:50 pm

Steve, Host
    Steve, I never disagreed with you on that point. I was just posting what SOA gave their sales people as "sales ammo."

Bob
    Well, I learned long ago not to be too surprised by what people cross shop. It'll be interesting to see if the Subbie salespeople wind up selling Tribeca's to Outback owners instead of luring Pilot shoppers to the showroom.

Steve, Host
    Subaru surprised everyone and price the Tribeca $1200 below a similarly equipped Outback VDC.

So I don't know if we'll see lower prices for the 2006 Outback VDC, but if not the value shopper will buy the Tribeca.

-juice
    I doubt we'll see lower Outback VDC prices. Remember it comes with leather, Wasn't there also a rumor that the '06 VDC had the NAV standard? In any event, neither leather or NAV are available in the base level Tribeca.

Bob
    Is from an Outback VDC to a 5 seat Tribeca Limited, so it has all the same equipment, including leather.

Tribeca is priced aggressively.

We'll have to see if they make NAV standard on the 06 OB VDC, but if so they'd still better not raise prices much if at all.

-juice
    Has any bought any of these vehicles after comparing them closely?
  • subienewbie2subienewbie2 Member Posts: 458
    I have taken a good look at Lexus, Infiniti, Nissan, BMW and after considering such things as: brand quality & reliability, price, features, fit & finish, performance, and style I chose the Subaru Tribeca.

Oh and I forgot to mention that is the coolest & most unique looking. Nothing is me too about this SUV.
  • gt2b9gt2b9 Member Posts: 16
    We've taken nearly all of the aforementioned out for a test spin... our take is as follows. Volvo XC90, well appointed, drives like a boat, and is $42K, Toyota Highlander...One word BORING....Volkswagen Touareg, High expectations left us unfulfilled....BMW X5...Great Drive, Exceptional Styling, and 52K for the model we would buy, but the clincher was no third row.... Acura MDX, the vehicle we'd decided on the day before we discovered the Tribeca, Excellent driving, Spacious interior (Beats the Tribeca in this category) integrated rearview camera is a huge plus, but again $42K....All the things we need in an Uber Cool Subie for 36 and Change it was a no brainer!!
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    It'll be interesting to see if the Subbie salespeople wind up selling Tribeca's to Outback owners instead of luring Pilot shoppers to the showroom.

For the most part, it seems like it would be Subaru's marketing firm, rather than the actual salespeople, that lure those Pilot shoppers into the showroom. Whether or not the salespeople steer them toward Outback or Tribeca once they're in the showroom... like you said, Steve, it'll be interesting. I'm an Outback owner, and tentatively would like to move up to a Tribeca.

Seems like folks in the general B9 Tribeca thread have mentioned considering switching from Honda & Mazda minivans, from Mercedes, BMW, Acura, and even Lexus SUVs, and from other Subarus, so I think Subaru's target is true, and they may even perhaps pull in a few more high-end customers than expected... those who aren't brand snobs, anyway.

I must admit the high-end Murano's features are VERY appealing, though I'd never buy one. I didn't realize they had that type of equipment available. Must be stealing from the Infiniti parts bin. Those are the features Subaru needs to incorporate, especially the high-end sound system, rear camera, telescoping wheel and memory seats/wheel. Perhaps we'll see these features on whatever LL Bean-type edition comes out next.
    would be Subaru's marketing firm, rather than the actual salespeople, that lure those Pilot shoppers into the showroom

Excellent point. I killed my TV back in '99 and, what with popup blockers, etc. on my browsers, forgot about all that marketing stuff :-).

I haven't kept up with the Subaru B9 Tribeca (B9X) discussion but so far this discussion seems pretty heavily weighed with existing Subaru owners so I didn't know if any Honda or Nissan fans were on the radar.

It should help when some of them actually hit the roads too.

Steve, Host
    "I forgot to mention that is the coolest & most unique looking."

Just playing devil's advocate, but that's what they were initially saying about the AMC Pacer too.
  • njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
    Fitz is coming out of the gates pretty aggressive on pricing - they range from high $29 to mid $33s. For $36k yours must have been really loaded up.

Congrats to both of you, by the way.

Did anyone ever call the Pacer cool? :surprise:

-juice
    From someone who has driven a Q45 for the last three years the rear view camera is not so great. To be of value you to keep looking at it. Since a lot of others also need attention - much prefer an ultra sonic sound system which my dealer will have installed for me on my Tribeca.

Listening for the chirps leaves your eyes free use side mirrors and look for other hazards. Also, snow, dirt and darkness have no effect with ultra-sonic systems.

Another negative of the camera based system is you scare the crap out many drivers of the car you are backing up to because they think your not look at what your doing. You get honked at a lot.
    I've seen those, they're pretty neat as well.

If you have Nav, though, you already have the screen, it seems it wouldn't cost too much more to add the rear view camera. I bet Subaru will add this (and maybe HIDs) as running changes the next model year.

-juice
    Not sure yet.

The dealer is checking because aftermarket kits have limited colors for the sensors. My B9 is Atlantic Blue Pearl - so if the sensors have to be mounted in the Blue portion of the bumper they will have to get them painted.

If you like DIY - the kits cost between 90 and 150 bucks.

I'm pretty handy but I do not trust myself to drill 4 holes in my B9's bumper
  • tytnsfan1tytnsfan1 Member Posts: 44
    I have been researching suv/xuv's for a while. From what I've read the XC90, BMW, ML350, Touraeg have terrible reliability and the gas mileage stinks. I was actually considering them until I found that out because they are all nice looking vehicles and have decent cargo space. In looking at safety which is one of my important criteria I was looking for the most airbags and safety features. At first thought the Mercedes because it has the most airbags of any SUV/XUV but then the reliability and gas mileage issues came out so that one was out.

I figure Volvo is safety conscious so I'll go with front driver/passenger airbags, front torso bags, and side air curtains in both rows. The Pilot doesn't have torso bags in front so that was out although it does have side air curtains. The Acura has them but not worth extra $$$$.

That leaves Lexus, Murano, Tribeca, Highlander, 4Runner plus several others that you can get as optional equipment the airbags. To get the safety features in the 4 Runner you have to get the V8 which kills the gas mileage so that one is out. The Highlander is usual around where I live and I want something different so that one is out.

The Lexus is great but don't want to spend that much so we're down to the Murano and Tribeca. I think these two are comparable. I haven't driven the Murano yet but I don't think the fit and finish is going to be near the Tribeca.

The Murano has a couple of features that the Tribeca doesn't, but the Tribeca has standard air filter which I've read is good for anyone in stop/go traffic every day like me. Also standard are the traction control/stability control which you have to get the most expensive Murano to get and a lot of dealers aren't stocking them with the traction control.

I'm still going to test the Murano so I know for sure that I'm getting the best thing for me but I'm pretty sure when it comes to it I'll probably be buying the Tribeca. You can't beat the standard features which is what luxury should be...STANDARD. Not some pricey group of options or lumping things together so to get the one you really want you have to get a bunch you don't. The only thing I really wish it had was the key pad to open the doors. I have that now on my Explorer and it'll be an adjustment for me, because I can go into a ball game or concert and lock my keys in and not have to take them.

I guess it all depends on what is most important to each buyer, but that's my take on it.
    I thought the Pilot didn't have side curtains either? Maybe not?

-juice
  • jmaxejmaxe Member Posts: 198
    I believe you are correct that the Pilot doesn't have side curtains.
  • njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
    But do they have an A-Spec package with side skirts? ;)

Pilot is bigger and truckier than other 3 models in this thread. I'd argue that the Endeavor is actually a closer competitor than the Pilot.

-juice
  • tigger5753tigger5753 Member Posts: 43
    Interesting comparison - you make some good points...

What do you mean by "Tribeca has standard air filter"? Doesn't all vehicles have an air filter? If you mean cabin air filter, the Murano does have one as well. As for the Traction control (VDC) it is a dumb thing to make you purchase the Touring Package to get that as an option. I do encourage you to test drive the Murano - I think you will love the ride, the CVT transmission, and spaciousness of the cabin, as well as some of the extras few SUVs have (birds-eye NAV, Smart Key access, rear backup camera).

PS. I too owned an Explorer before my Murano and I totally miss the keypad.
    I believe Nissan and Subaru use the same name, coincidentally.

-juice
  • newsubunewsubu Member Posts: 39
    I had a VERY similar new car search, gt2b9, which evolved over the last year, starting with the Touareg. Love it at first, and then ran like H*** once I understood reliability and VW's treatment of customers. Your take on many of these B9 competitors is right on...

Seriously looked at B5, X90, Pilot, 4 Runner, Highlander, new Pathfinder, Murano. Different flavor each month since last fall, nothing was just right. I was actively searching for a 2003-2004 MDX when I stumbled upon that first rendering / concept drawing of the B9. Intrigued, I kept it on the "list" and grew further impressed the more I found out. Finally, a long test drive and I bought one; awaiting delivery soon. Just found a buyer for my Avalon this afternoon.

Right now, I look forward to leaving all those other vehicles mentioned in the dust!
  • dherzfelddherzfeld Member Posts: 9
    I told my wife the other day that I'm not paying a bunch of money for airbags that I've never used. Call me an optimist (or stupid), but I'm not choosing a car based on the number of airbags it has. In general the more the better, but other features outweigh airbags.
    Do you buy fire insurance for your house? How many times has your house burned down?

The defence rests. ;)
  • otis123otis123 Member Posts: 439
    Man, juice, you are everywhere! :) My theory is you are actually several people or one of those people that sleeps 2 hours a night...btw, are you pulling a Subie paycheck yet??

Anyway, we waited several years for the Tribeca... ended up buying a base 2004 MDX in Sept. for $33K. That should be in this mix. Best value out there. I can read a map and I sure as hell don't want a boob tube in my car. 9K miles and riding smooth... Just attached the painted spoiler on it this weekend to get rid of the minivan edge. It worked. The MDX may be reaching 5 years old but it will still look good 5 years from now...unlike the Pilot and Highlander.

dherzfeld, if you don't believe in air bags - go to the Insurance Institute website and look up their 2003 research on side curtain air bags. If you understand what they wrote, you would never buy a car without them. That was the final straw that led us to the MDX...at that price point - 4yr./50,000 miles warranty, curtain air bags, service at Honda. Plenty of room from my head to the driver side glass...and an air bag to boot. I certainly "spent a bunch of money for airbags that I've never used." Thank god....my family's lives are worth it.

Ralph

PS...I know this isn't the right thread but 74K miles on the 2001 LLBean and still flawless...except those front rotors/pads...need a new set. The only design flaw on that Outback...and the whistling front window gossets...otherwise it's amazingly reliable. :-)
  • sweet_subiesweet_subie Member Posts: 1,394
    In my humble opinion, 2003 MDX (my brother in law's), has much worse suspension/ride even compared to my base 2001 OB.

OB is the best made vehicle ever, i only hope Tribeca ride is equally good or better. I will have to wait till i drive.
  • gt2b9gt2b9 Member Posts: 16
    According to the dealer, our LTD was sent to the wrong dealer....hmmmm, something doesn't quite pass the smell test on that excuse but supposedly, we'll have our VIN tomorrow. My 97 GT Legacy went out for a test drive tonight and I'm hoping it has found a loving home. With 169,000 miles it still runs beautifully and is as pretty as the day I got it back in 97. Makes me feel a bit nostalgic, except for I'm like a kid on Christmas eve waiting for my Tribeca to arrive! If ya all know of someone in the Northwest looking for a beauty of a 97 GT let me know although it has high miles the engine was replaced at 110,000 so it's a relatively new car!
  • dherzfelddherzfeld Member Posts: 9
    Murano also has side curtain airbags standard and in this price range, the full complement of airbags is kind of like seatbelts and a steering wheel - they should all have it. I'm much more interested in the dynamic handling qualities that keep you out of trouble in the first place, not to mention the defensive driving skill of the driver.

The styling and appeal of the Subaru brand have never really caught my eye. The Pilot (and MDX by extension) seem a little top heavy and truck like (sluggish) to me, and besides we already have an Odyssey in the family. Pilot and Highlander both suffer from a bland exterior, IMO. Murano on the other hand seems to be the best combination of SUV ride height, sports sedan power and handling, and curb appeal.
    Well, I'm sure the mortgage company requieres home insurance, so it's not really a choice.

Ralph: no paycheck, but if you have any ideas or want to send me money please do! :D

Subaru did invite me (and Bob) up to HQ on Tuesday for a Ride-n-Drive event, so we'll get a good chance to really test the Tribeca away from public roads.

Tribeca has bigger brakes than your OB and door frames to quiet wind noise. Though I'd miss my light frameless doors.

At $33k the MDX is a solid value, I remember people were paying MSRP for those for years. Does yours have leather?

Test drove a cloth 7 seat Tribeca yesterday and was thoroughly impressed. It's not perfect, but I still want one.

Here is my take on it:

ateixeira, "Subaru B9 Tribeca (B9X)" #3137, 26 May 2005 10:39 am

-juice
    Thanks for coming to my defense. You know I never really thought too much about airbags or active head restraints, etc. either before having a baby. I want the very best in safety for her. It isn't my only criteria but it is high on the list.

I have a 97 Explorer which only has the front airbags for driver and passenger. My mom had one too the exact vehicle just about and was in an accident up against a small Nissan car and it did a world of damage to her vehicle and her unfortunately. She is fine but it crosses my mind enough I don't want to have to go through what she has and definitely want the best for my child. It probably doesn't help I'm in risk management!

Also, Pilot only has torso bag in front not curtains-that's why I don't want it. Head injuries are usually more serious so it would seem more important than torso bags.

I will definitely test drive Murano however before signing on the dotted line. A friend of mine has one and I really don't want her to think I'm copying! Ha!
    I did mean the cabin air filter and I was unaware that the Murano has one too. Thanks for the info. I would like to have the rear back up camera too especially with the smallness of the rear side windows but won't probably spend money for it. Again used to the larger windows on Explorer. My husband said I would have to learn to use my mirrors. I guess you can get used to anything. Do you miss the cargo space in the Explorer? That's another thing I'll need to get used to I guess.
    Thanks
    That's the great thing about these vehicles=you aren't paying a bunch of money for airbags or anything else for that matter!
This discussion has been closed.