Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V Real World MPG

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
edited December 2013 in Honda
This topic is for CR-V owners to report their actual MPG. Please be sure to include the year, automatic or manual, and whether it is FWD or AWD.

"Real World" Fuel Economy vs. EPA Estimates

Comments

• varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Been tracking MPG since September 1999. Overall average is 25. I'd have to check my chart to see what the highs and lows have been.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    2003 CR-V EX AT. At 75 Mph, 26-27 MPG on the freeway. At 55-65 on secondary roads at high altitude, I have gotten just under 31 MPG.

Normal in-town is around 22, mixed 23-24.

Note that I drive carefully (but not slowly). If I stomp on the accelerator all the time, I have gotten as low as 18.5 for all city driving. The I4 engine will support rapid starts and acceleration, but you pay the price at the pump.

My mileage got better at around 2000 miles.
  • fishhead41hfishhead41h Member Posts: 5
    Just got it, first tankfull was 21.5 mpg,2nd tank went up to 23.6 mpg mostly backroads,very little highway miles seems to be a very good car!!!!
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    2005 EX manual. First recorded tank was 22 mpg 95% city driving (BJ's fuel, regular). Second tank was 24 mpg 80% city driving (Mobil fuel, regular). Looking forward to some highway driving to see what the mileage is going to be.

I think it would be a good idea for people to post their mileage and the brand and grade of fuel used. I see greater difference in fuel economy (based on observations in my other cars) from brands than driving style.
    Good idea to post the fuel. I use only regular unleaded, Exxon/Mobile, Shell, Texaco, or Chevron. Won't touch the other brands...
  • newhondadadnewhondadad Member Posts: 1
    On my third recorded tank now, my 05 LX Fwd is at 22.4 mpg. At the previous fill-up it was 21.6 mpg. This is almost all short trips, city driving.
  • bob05bob05 Member Posts: 27

05 LX FWD automatic

Purchased 12/17/04
    Current mileage 5700; no oil change yet; OEM tires--29 psi all around.

Driving: 80% inter-suburban; 20% highway
    Vendors: Shell, Mobil, occasionally Exxon
    Driving style: Stevedebi; gentle all around

Lifetime mileage: 23.3 mpg

Winter MPG (thru 3/31/05): 22.8
    Spring (sic) MPG (from 4/1/05): 24.2

Best tank: 27.5 (all highway ending 3/19/05)
    Worst tank: 20.8 (all suburban driving ending 3/11/05)
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
  • glm3glm3 Member Posts: 1
    2005 CRV LX auto, 2WD, 9,000 miles:
    Have not checked city driving, but getting 27 mpg on highway (75-80 mph) using regular unleaded.
  • nornenorne Member Posts: 136
    2002 LX FWD AUTO

22-23 mpg with A/C running all the time. The MPG was higher when I lived in mainland around 24-26 MPG.
  • asmith2asmith2 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought 2000 CRV, even though this model's engine is 2.0 I am getting 20-21 MPG. I drive 60% in city and around 40% on freeway (70-75mph). I checked with mechanic, he says every thing looks ok. I will appreciate any comments or suggestions. Thanx.
  • chochchoch Member Posts: 3
    I have had my 2005 CRV 5 speed auto 4 cyl AWD since the end of november. My mileage in US Gal/mi average is about 21. This consisted of 50/50 hwy city driving as I drive to the city to work. This is dissapointing as my 2003 Accord gets an average of 29 doing the same thing. The accord has a much larger tank. I almost ran out of gas last weekend at less than 400 k (240 miles) on a full tank. The CRV needs a larger tank. Does anyone know of a retrofit???
  • bshelbshel Member Posts: 232
    I have a 2004 CR-V EX MT. I fuel up with regular unleaded (87 octane) nearly every time -- at either Exxon/Mobil or Sunoco.

My mpg seems quite similar to stevedebi in post#4. At 75 Mph, 26-27 MPG on the freeway. When I keep my highway speed under 70, I have improved to 28 mpg.

Average city is around 22, mixed 23-24.
  • mhildebrantmhildebrant Member Posts: 2
    I bought a used 2003 EX about 2 months ago with 53,000 miles. Here in East Texas, we run the A/C pretty much all the time May-September. With about 50/50 city and highway miles we average 18-19mpg. Our best so far is 22mpg on an all-highway trip, running the A/C.

I called the dealership, asking if this kind of mileage was typical. He said it was because we run the A/C a lot, and that it should get better in the Fall. I know that A/C affects fuel economy, but I'm getting 4-5 mpg less that I should.

Has anyone else had this experience?
  • saabgirlsaabgirl Member Posts: 184
    2005 CR-V EX auto with factory roof rack -- avg 21.8 mpg for the first 1000 miles.

Used Shell 87. The missus likes to run the AC full bore anytime the temp is above 85, which it has been quite a bit here in the Northeast. Most of the driving has been suburban stop and go, with some city and a fair amount of blue highways.

We expect to take a trip to Maine soon, and I'm looking forward to seeing what I get with 300 interstate highway miles.

But so far, I'm getting pretty much what Honda promised.
  • theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    With about 50/50 city and highway miles we average 18-19mpg. Our best so far is 22mpg on an all-highway trip, running the A/C.

A lot depends on your driving style.Is the highway mileage driving at 80 MPH? Or at 65 MPH? Faster highway speeds mean lower fuel mileage. City fuel mileage is affected by how fast you accelerate. Slow and steady wins the fuel mileage race.
  • mhildebrantmhildebrant Member Posts: 2
    The highway miles we put on are right at 65mph, and the city driving isn't just stop and go, either. Most of the stretches in town we drive are 40mph+. As far as heavy/light acceleration goes, we don't hot rod it, but sometimes it feels so sluggish that it requires a heavier foot to get moving. When we kick off the A/C, it seems to do much better, which I'm used to with 4 cylinders, but this seems pretty extreme.
    As far as heavy/light acceleration goes, we don't hot rod it, but sometimes it feels so sluggish that it requires a heavier foot to get moving.

Is this your first SUV? You need to remember that it's heavier than a sedan and is not going to accelerate as quickly. If you try to "push" it to accelerate like a sedan, your mileage will be poor.

JM2C
  • sky23213sky23213 Member Posts: 300
    With a 05 CR-V SE at about 2600 miles, apparently running the A/C makes more of a difference than I thought, but still pretty good MPG. On highway commute with some stop & go and A/C all the time its 23.5 MPG. With no or very little A/C is 26.5. So far I avoid flooring it, even when merging. And always put the mid fuel - Plus 90.
  • springsalmonspringsalmon Member Posts: 1
    wife's '98 2L 4s auto awd gets 25 hwy consistently, any regular 87O unleaded. loves Mobil 1 full synthetic 0w20, improved performance, smoother running, faster accel.
    also loves the Bosch 4 platinum plugs, noticible improvement in performance over NGK and NipponDenso. long life 100k plugs.
    noticeable acceleration improvement and hill climbing after breakin around 5 to 10k.
  • latino71latino71 Member Posts: 3
    :cry: The dealership handed me my CRV with an almost full tank and 15 miles in the tach. Currently the tachometer reads 455 miles and I have put $48.00 in gas. Drive 60/40 since I do many errands around my way and don’t like to speed. So let do the math Figure the dealer put $28 to fill up plus my $48 that’s $76. Divide $76 into 455 that 0.167 or 16.7mpg! Is this correct?
  • poodlegirlpoodlegirl Member Posts: 1
    No, this is not correct. What you need to do is:
    1. Fill up the tank completely
    2. Set your trip meter to zero miles.
    3. When it gets close to empty, fill it up all the way again. When you do this, keep the receipt and write down how many miles are on the trip meter.
    4. Then, your mpg will be equal to the number of miles you wrote down from the trip meter divided by the number of gallons your receipt says you put in.

I hope this helps!
  • me3me3 Member Posts: 30
    Miles per Gallon (MPG) is calculated by dividing the number of miles driven by the number of gallons used. If you odometer says you've driven 455 miles, you need to know the exact amount of gas put in to get a correct mileage number. So, if you know that you have burned a total of 20 gallons of gas, you would divide 455 by 20 and find that you are getting 22.75 MPG.
    The dealership handed me my CRV with an almost full tank and 15 miles in the tach. Currently the tachometer reads 455 miles and I have put $48.00 in gas. Drive 60/40 since I do many errands around my way and don’t like to speed. So let do the math Figure the dealer put $28 to fill up plus my $48 that’s $76. Divide $76 into 455 that 0.167 or 16.7mpg! Is this correct?

How can you divide Dollars by Miles and get miles per gallon??????? What you have is 16.7 cents per mile.

To get miles per gallon you need to divide miles driven by gallons used.
    The simplest way is to:
    1) Wait until your first tank is empty, or until the light comes on.
    2) Go to the station that you know you will be able to return to for the consecutive fill up.
    3) Fill up until the auto shut off clicks. DO NOT TOP OFF.
    4) Reset the trip odometer.
    5) Drive as you normaly do.
    6) When the gas light is on, return to the SAME STATION, SAME PUMP, SAME TIME OF DAY, preferrably SAME WEATHER CONDITONS.
    7) Fill up, until the automatic shut off clicks. DO NOT TOP OFF.
    8) Take the miles driven on the trip odometer and divide by the GASOLINE VOLUME (not price). e.g. Trip odometer says 280 miles, it took 11 gallons to fill. 280/11=25.5 miles per gallon or mpg.
    9) Reset the trip odometer and repeat procedure 5 or more times.
    10) AVERAGE the 5 or more fill ups.
    Your mileage will improve after about 2500 miles. Also, you need to work out the best acceleration methods for in town driving. Try different styles until you find the one that yields the best MPG. I went from 19 MPG to 22 MPG in town just with driving style.
  • tamarastertamaraster Member Posts: 107
    [I posted this on the SUV mileage thread too; sorry for the duplication]

Well, I just got my 6th fill-up or so.

This tank was completely city-driving - I did not set foot (er, tire) on a road with a speed limit above 35 the entire tank. I got 20.9 mpg (on the lowest grade of fuel), which is about the same as my VW Passat Wagon (4-cyl turbo) got, for a car with a lot more pep and space.

The previous tank was mostly Rocky Mt highway driving, and I got 25.1 mpg. The previous tank, which was all Rocky Mt highways (including a lot of driving through Rocky Mt National Park), I got 28 mpg.

Altogether, I've gotten 24.2 mpg to date. I haven't tried mid-grade fuel yet, which is what's recommended in the owner's manual.
    I haven't tried mid-grade fuel yet, which is what's recommended in the owner's manual.

That's odd. The Honda website lists "regular unleaded" as the correct grade of fuel for the 2005 CR-V.
    Well, I just got my 6th fill-up or so.

This tank was completely city-driving - I did not set foot (er, tire) on a road with a speed limit above 35 the entire tank. I got 20.9 mpg (on the lowest grade of fuel), which is about the same as my VW Passat Wagon (4-cyl turbo) got, for a car with a lot more pep and space.

The previous tank was mostly Rocky Mt highway driving, and I got 25.1 mpg. The previous tank, which was all Rocky Mt highways (including a lot of driving through Rocky Mt National Park), I got 28 mpg.

Altogether, I've gotten 24.2 mpg to date. I haven't tried mid-grade fuel yet, which is what's recommended in the owner's manual.

READ THE MANUAL AGAIN!!!! You probably missed the part where it says to use octane 86. Unless you are in Brazil, Eastern Europe, other developing country, or Rocky mountain region still gets 76 octane. The lowest grade sold in most of the US is 87, which is higher than recommended 86.

By the way, I am getting 26 mpg 95% City driving in a 2005 CR-V EX manual with 3 oz of acetone per 15 gallon tank. 24 mpg without acetone
  • sky23213sky23213 Member Posts: 300
    Acetone? I guess if you do it, it wouldn't hurt the engine. Care to give some details? Thanks!
    I live in Denver. Our three grades here are typically 85, 89, and 91 octane. So the lowest is lower than the manual recommends, unless I really did misread it.
    I live in Denver. Our three grades here are typically 85, 89, and 91 octane. So the lowest is lower than the manual recommends, unless I really did misread it.

I guess you are right, and I am wrong. I have been to CO and never saw 85 octane. Even CA, which has the most stringent emission requirements does not sell 85 octane.

Does it have to do with the lower air pressure, lower O2 concentration in the mile high city?
    I really don't know why it is. I should look at the pumps again, I guess, but I've looked 2 or 3 times. I knew that 91 was the highest, so I just assumed the others would be 89 and 87, but the lowest one is 85 instead.
  • northwest1northwest1 Member Posts: 65
    Any opinions or information out there on whether Costco regular gas is just as good as Chevron regular (or other "Top Tier" certified brand)? It seems like I get better mileage with the occasional tank of Chevron, but it is probably just my imagination. Thanks.
    Acetone? I guess if you do it, it wouldn't hurt the engine. Care to give some details? Thanks!

I can't post links, as per agreement, because the site that explains what is at work happens to have a forum board. But if you search for Honda and SUV and then search for acetone thread, you will get all the details.

People have been adding varyous proportions of Acetone to gasoline (not gasohol) and getting improved and not so improved fuel economy. The general ratio that works is about 2 fl oz. per 10 gallons. This is why I add 3 oz per fill. It usually takes about 12 gallons to fill, but the tank's capacity is listed at 15 gallons. I do this with Mobil brand of gasoline as I know it has no ethanol. Cheaper gas from reservations and wholesale clubs is of unknow origin. The fuel economy suffers when acetone is added to fuels containing ethanol (gasohol).

Last time I filled up at the Indian reservation and added 3 oz of acetone. I don't know what the fuel economy is going to be, but expect it to be worse than Mobil gas. Generally, I am getting 10% improvment in fuel economy with acetone. Some people on that board reported as much as 30% improvment.

I use HPLC grade acetone that I get from work. Most hardware stores sell lower quality acetone, which does not seem to have a negative effect on the fuel economy. I have not tried hardware store acetone.
  • bshelbshel Member Posts: 232
    tamaraster, be sure to post which model of 2005 as well. Helps to know if it is a AWD or FWD, and AT or MT.
    Oh yeah, sorry about that! It's an AT AWD EX.
    Steve,
    :confuse: I filled up my tank completely and put odometer "A" in zero by the time it was empty "A" read 180.1 miles. Now that's 12.3 gallons I poured into the tank divided by 180.1 and that's 14.64 mpg. Do you think this is a Lemon? The dealership told me in my face today that the CR-V would normally spend 12 to 14 mpg. I am complaining to Honda about this.

Alex
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    You have to fill up after you drive the 180 miles, and use that number of gallons to divide by..

Otherwise, you have no idea how much gas you used out of your tank.. A common mistake..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

OK, Well I filled up today and the tank took 12.4 gallons.
    How is your driving? Speed limit? Racing from light to light? Stomping on the gas? Carry allot of stuff, family members, frequent stops and engine start ups?

I get 26 mpg in 95% City driving. I shift at 2500 RPM's, almost never exceed the speed limit (which is 35-45 in my town), and don't race from light to light, but rather time it so that I don't have to stop at every light.

This is different from when gas was $1.50, I would have been at the "head of the pack" Now I drive like an old lady. There some old ladies that actually drive faster than I.
  • saabgirlsaabgirl Member Posts: 184
    2005 CRV EX AT
    Tires at 32 psi
    Odometer under 3,000

Traveled from central Connecticut to central Maine
    total miles 672
    total gas 25.48
    avg mpg 26.4

The trip Nawth was in heavy traffic with some construction delays. For this 280 miles, the CRV did 26.6 mpg.

Returning home, with much lighter traffic and frequent use of Cruise Control set at approx 65 mph, the CRV did a bit better than 28.

Local trips amounting to 100+ miles, the CRV avg 22.24 mpg. Although the town in Maine has only one traffic light and is surrounded by blue highways, the local mileage was only marginally better than I get in Central CT suburban stop and go.

Overall I’m getting what Honda promised and may get better with break in.
  • clunkerdriverclunkerdriver Member Posts: 4
    steve,

can you tell us how you changed your driving style? apologies if you already did and i missed it.

:shades:
  • viper07viper07 Member Posts: 6
    6,820 miles, 22.84 avg mpg, 60% city, 40 % hwy. The vehicle is not drive hard and is not driven over 70 on the interstate. Latest trip, 1002 miles, 24.66 mpg, 90% interstate, 10% traveling thru small towns. Best mpg 26.73. Currently 18.37 mpg, 9 mile commute to work with few stops. Exxon, Chevron, Shell, 89 octane. Michelin Destiny tires since 1,236 miles on odometer. Mobile 1, 0-20 synthetic.

I have a 99 4Runner SR5 V6 with 77, 710 miles, avg. mpg in similar driving is 19.72 mpg. Latest trip, 1720 miles, 24.92 mpg, 95% interstate, 5% city, dead stop on I-20 for one hour, 102 degrees outside. Best mpg 25.41. Exxon, Chevron, Shell, 89 octane. Michelin LTX tires. Valvoline 5-30 dino.

96 Camry LE 4 cyl, 92,973 miles, EPA 21 city, 27 hwy. 50% 4 mile one way city drive to work, 50% rural roads. 25.26 mpg. Texas to Colorado trip with 7500 miles on odometer, 2047 miles, avg 34.76 mpg with car loaded. Will still do 32+ mpg on rural roads. Exxon, Chevron, Shell, 89 octane. Michelin Destiny tires, Valvoline 10-30 dino.

The CRV is the first vehicle I have owned that I have not been able to exceed the EPA ratings. Perhaps the mileage will improve when I hit 10000 to 20000 miles.
  • vedocvedoc Member Posts: 1
    2005 LX AWD
    850 miles averaging 18.5 in mostly city. ">
    I hope this improves!!
    87 Octane.
    Easy driiving in first 500 miles..
    "can you tell us how you changed your driving style? apologies if you already did and i missed it. "

Well, keep in mind that I have a 2003, which has a 4 speed transmission.

Basically I accelerate briskly, but do not exceed 2500 RPMs. I try and get to 35 MPH in town (generally the speed limit) as soon as I can without exceeding 2500. Sometimes I have to let off on the accelerator pressure to get the engine to shift into the final gear (usually at around 30-35 MPH). Then I watch my Tach - I have found that I can maintain 35 MPH on a level surface with 1500 or so RPMs, but if I'm not careful, the RPMs will creep up, without a significant increase in speed. I can't really explain that, except that maybe the traffic is influencing me. When I first realized this, I found I was driving about 1700 -1800 RPMs for just about the same speed.

I have found that this generally keeps up with most traffic - nobody honks their horn, anyway. Those that stomp on the gas are generally about 50 feet ahead of me at 35 MPH. Well, OK, if they really stop on the gas, they are 100 feet ahead.

This includes something that is also a safety enhancement - I find myself watching the traffic ahead so as to compensate for the "accordian effect" normal to traffic. So I am more alert to upcoming problems.

The other tricks are to try and time the traffic and the lights, so that you don't have to speed up and hit the brakes all the time. Every time you accelerate that 3500 lbs of metal, it takes more gas. So try and time the lights such that you make them, especially if you go the same route every day. Which is another thing, check your various routes to work and see which one provides the most consistent speed at approximately the same distance.

My "bad" MPG (18.3 MPG) was when I really dipped into the VTEC, with "jackrabbit" starts that went into the 3000's for RPM. I actually got the RT4WD to kick in often, which seldom happens now. It sure was fun though...

One note: I don't skimp on the gas when accelerating onto a freeway, or passing. I usually get up to 4000 RPM on the on-ramp. And I never hinder traffic, not ever. I'll use a little more gas first.

You will also save if you stay at 65 MPH. My absolute best tank was in New Mexico last year. I went about 60 MPH for 1/2 of the tank, and 80 MPH for the other 1/2. I got 30.8 MPG (as I recall). I've often wondered what would have happened if I'd gone back by the secondary roads instead of the Interstate, but we found ourselves 180 miles North of Santa Fe, NM - all the way into Colorado, in my misguided attempt to get back from Taos. Don't ask for details, it is painful to a person like me who generally has a very good sense of direction. :blush:

Beautiful scenery, however, in the fall. I also found the neatest ski resort nestled in the mountains. I was trying to get over those same mountains, but when the road turned into dirt, I decided to circle around the mountains on the paved roads. It turned out to be a rather large circle. :D

BTW, I was over 400 miles on that tank, which is unusual. That was only the second time I've gone over 400; the other time I got 27.5 MPG, which tells you that I was running on fumes when I stopped at 410 miles. I missed my exit on the interstate, and in some parts of Arizona, and California, that means a lot of miles to the next stop. I put in around 15 gallons as I recall.

My mileage increased at about 3000 miles.
    05 CRV SE...89 octane

The CR-V doesn't need 89 octane. Save yourself some money and use 87 if it's available. I think you'll find that your Owners Manual says to use a minimum of 86 octane.

JM2C
    At my most recent fill up, I had again driven only in the city (results reported above, but I'll recap). I mostly commute 8 miles to and from work every day in the city - not with bad traffic, but not without stoplights and the usual mess.

My last tank's mileage was 20.9, and for this tank I got 21.9. I'm really satisfied with these numbers. I use 85 octane, which is what the lowest grade sold here in Denver is.

My CR-V has about 1600 miles on it, so it has whatever oil & tires came with it.
  • viper07viper07 Member Posts: 6
    "05 CRV SE...89 octane

The CR-V doesn't need 89 octane. Save yourself some money and use 87 if it's available. I think you'll find that your Owners Manual says to use a minimum of 86 octane.

JM2C

My mistake. I run 87 octane in all my vehicles. I had a 93 Camry SE, V6, 5 speed that I ran 89 octane in.

I run 32 psi in all vehicle tires. Road noise in the CRV seems to increase with tire pressure.
  • newcar_lovernewcar_lover Member Posts: 6
    05 EX AT 2300 miles

Front tires: 34 psi
    Rear tire: 32 psi

Drove 1111 miles (started w/ an empty tank and ended w/ an empty tank), with 650 highway miles and the rest was city miles; with AC on half of the time. Total was 43.9 gallons. The average mileage is 25.3 mpg.
  • jjd2jjd2 Member Posts: 1
    I have had my CRV for about 2 months and have been monitoring the MPG pretty close. My driving consist of about 60% highway and 40% city. The best I have done is 25.5 mpg the worst has been 22.5. All on 87 octane.