Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti M35/M45 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• jian2003jian2003 Member Posts: 4
    hi, barryend,

You got the exactly same answer I got. It looks infiniti is trying to avoid this issue.
  • BMW540BMW540 Member Posts: 33
    I have a 06 M45 sport that has noticeable driveline whine at 40mph and 80 mph. The dealer states that this is a normal characteristic of the car. Anybody else notice this in their car?
    Bmw
  • ghstudioghstudio Member Posts: 972
    As always, when the service manager says "they all do that" or "that's normal", you say ok...let's find one in your used car lot and drive it just to verify that "they all do it" ....make him come with you. If he refuses, then ask to see the infiniti regional rep on his next pass thru the dealership and then take the infiniti service rep out driving with you.
  • shmangshmang Member Posts: 297
    I have a 06 M45 and when ever I adjust the steering wheel (up, down or telescope), it makes squeaking noises. Has anyone had this kind of issue? If anyone does, what is the fix?

TIA
  • southbay1southbay1 Member Posts: 9
    I forgot to add that when I saw the service manager last week they took me out in another '06 M35 Sport that was in for service (for some other issue I was told). It too showed the same grabby/wandering steering but all that really tells me is that the problem is pervasive to the '06s. Is anyone driving '07-'09s experiencing the same steering problem/defect or has Infiniti quietly fixed the issue in the newer models?
  • alanpreston05alanpreston05 Member Posts: 36
    My 06 M35x did the same thing. The dealer lubricated it and it stopped for about a year, now it's starting to do it again, mostly when it's cold. Other than that, not sure what another fix might be.

Alan
    Thanks. I will ask my dealer to lubricate it and see how long it will last...
  • ellie15ellie15 Member Posts: 1
    can someone help, my seat will not lean forward, all the buttons are working, seat will go forward and back but the back rest will only move back, has anyone had this problem how did you fix it?
    Well, I take the car in this morning to have the steering wheel noise checked out - thought it just need to be lubricated or something,no biggie. This afternoon, got a call from the service adviser, the motor to move the steering wheel need to be replace and they ordered the parts, should be all good next Monday.

While doing the inspection, they want to replace the coolant, tranny fluid, air filter and driving belts and stating there are some bad cracks on the belt. I know for a fact that the coolant was flushed 3 month ago and I myself replaced the air filter last month, I just basically declined all those service requests.

Now, I am curious: Has anyone replace their driving belts? If you did, at what mileage & age of the car? It seems too early consider the car is only 3 years old and has about 43k miles on it.
  • tmartin63tmartin63 Member Posts: 19
    my '07 M35 has 27k and the belts are making a squeaky noise - more so when cold. Dealer told me the pulleys were fine but I should think about replacing the belts for "a couple of hundred" bucks. At 27k !!?? Isn't it under warranty? Nope - wear part. I hate #$%^&-ing wear parts!

Then he said, well if you get some belt stop-squeak spray at Pep Boys and spray it on the belts they'll quiet right up. They show no signs of wear so that's prob what I'll do.

My experience with american cars is belts every 45-50k miles whether they show signs of wear or not. You don't want to get in the middle of tim-buck-too and have the altenator belt snap. Probably at night. If you're gonna keep it a while I'd say 43k is getting to the point of consideration. BUT if you can see cracks on the INSIDE of the belt or any fraying on the edges it's time to change them regardless of mileage. Rubber belts will degrade at different rates depending upon your climate, humidity, is it garaged every night or out in the weather ... this type of stuff.

I'd be interested to know what they charge you, so let me know if you get it done.
  • james27james27 Member Posts: 433
    I've been told that the reinforcing fibers inside the belt end up getting brittle as they age (fatigue from being flexed), and the belt can break with no obvious wear...so, follow the suggested time frame for replacment, regardless of what they look like.
    Wow, that is strange. I had Nissan and Honda before and their belts do not need to be replaced until 105K (and Infiniti share parts with Nissan). As a matter of fact, I have a 10 years old Honda that the driving belts has never been replaced. Although there are a few cracks on the inside, they works fine. I do the same type of driving and keep all my cars in garage. So, I guess it is either Infiniti use inferior belts or the stealership is trying to make some profit out of us. :mad:
  • osbornkgosbornkg Member Posts: 30
    Speaking for myself, I will not do any major preventive maintenance until our 2007/M35 has between 50k-60k miles on it other then oil/filter and air cleaner. This has always been my practice since we started with Japanese cars some 30 years ago.
    I agree with you. I normally just do the oil/filter and air filter until about 45K, then I replace coolant and brake fluid. By about 60K, have the tranny fluid, power steering fluid changed.

Granted I do not keep cars as long (used to keep them for 10-12 years), but I have never need to replace the driving belts before 90K miles on Japanese cars. So, this seems fishy to me. I will have to look at the belts Monday to see what is going on.
    I agree with the other posters...check the serpantine belt and if it's not worn, it's more than likely OK. Also, if it does break, you won't hurt the engine (assuming you turn the car off before it overheats)...it will just be awkward explaining to the "meaningful other" why you didn't replace it as you are waiting for the flatbed tow truck.

Don't use the belt spray...it's a temporary fix, at best. If you can't tighten the belts and get rid of fan belt noise, replace the belt.

The only belt I change religiously when it's recommended is the timing belt. If that goes and you have an "interference" engine your engine will be destroyed. I don't know if the M35 or M45 are "interference" engines.
  • c5_4func5_4fun Member Posts: 59
    At the top of the front window where it meets the roof I have a black rubber seal that runs all the way across the front of the car. I noticed a big section of it is flush with the top of the window and the roof while other sections are pushed in and not flush where the window meets the roofline.The dealer said its normal, but I'm wondering where the water goes at the spots where the rubber is pushed down in the opening. Anyone else have this issue and more importantly, any problems with water leaks?
    If you are talking about the M, then, no, it should not be pushed in. Mine is flushed all the way.

What year and model is yours?
  • c5_4func5_4fun Member Posts: 59
    thanks. It's a 2006 M35x. I was going to walk a dealer lot and look at a few others as the dealer noted on my repair note that it was a "normal condition".
    I see. Mine is 2006 as well (M45 though, but oth.er than the engine, it should be the same). So, it is definitely not normal. Have it checked out while it is still under warranty.
    Well, the other day, my wife bought me a few music CDs and I like them, so I thought I will put them in the CD player (6 CD changer with MP3). But, the strange thing is: some of them will not play and show a message: "Track information not available" while the others plays just fine.

I thought it might be the slot, so I swapped them and didn't make any difference. The ones works still works and the ones doesn't doesn't. I can play ALL of them in my regular CD player at home, so all CDs are good CD.

So, is there any trick that I am not aware or is there a work around?
    I inspected the belts and there are a lot of crackes - although the belt itself looks perfect. So, I asked them (dealer and other shops) how much it will be. Here is the quote I got:

Dealer: $280 (belt included)
    Other shops: $120 + cost of belt - about $60. So, total about $180.

So, I decided to try it myself. Ordered the belt for $52 (2 belts) and have them done in about 1.5 hours. The actual belt change took me 20 min. the rest is taking off and put on the under engine cover (I did not know they have 20+ screws to hold that thing).

Since the belt I put on is of much better quality, it is supposed to last another 10 years. So, I am all set for now.
    Figure that the "flat rate" is about $100 an hour and this is at least an hour job so the shop estimates are at least in the ball park.
    Good for you. Who did you order the belts from?
    Well. I got the parts from Amazon.com (I researched which is the best quality parts and found them on amazon.com).
  • fiddler2500fiddler2500 Member Posts: 4
    Hi all,
    I bought a 2007 M35 recently and noticed later on that the floor mats are missing. Does anyone have suggestions on where I can buy decent floor mats? The mats have a funky shape and "generic mats" dont fit this car.
    I searched online and there are ton of results, but don't know who I can trust among all these sites.
    Thanks.
    Sean.
  • hilleyhilley Member Posts: 10
    When my M45 reached about 60,000 miles the service engine light appeared. There is nothing wrong with the engine and I get about 20 MPG in mostly city driving. Is this simply a way to get you into the dealer? How can this light be turned off? How much danger is there with the original timing belt at 60,000 miles?
  • james27james27 Member Posts: 433
    In most places you can't get a passing state safety inspection with an engine error code. If, in fact, it is for the timing belt, while it could last a long time, you could be on borrowed time depending on how many miles are actually on the car and the use pattern. I'm pretty sure that the Infiniti engines are what are referred to as interference engines...this means that if a valve stopped as a result of a broken belt, it could interfere, or hit the piston. This can pretty much destroy an engine - breaking pistons, throwing bits out the side of the block, etc.. Is it worth the risk? No warranty, extended or factory will cover damages caused if this happens if you've exceeded the miles on the belt. When they fail, they fail catastrophically....working fine one second, in piece(s) the next with you stranded.
  • fiddler2500fiddler2500 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks. I will check it out.
    I believe all the V8 engine in M45 use timing chain and do not need to be replaced periodically. Maybe you are talking about the V6, which I am not sure if it uses timing belt.

For the check engine light, it most probably is a failed sensor related to emission - either the O2 sensor or the MAP sensor. It will not affect how the car drives, but will definitely fail you on inspection. Also, if your gas cap is loose (not closed tight enough or the cap itself is failing), it can also turn on the CEL.
    There are many reasons the Check Engine Light comes on....and your dealer can find the reason very quickly by reading the error codes. It's wise to get this checked and it may be something that's not all that expensive. It may be as simple as a hose pulled off it's fitting or a bad gas cap gasket. If it's the o2 sensor, then you want to change it anyway because it effects your performance and fuel economy.

I don't believe the Check Engine Light has anything to do with the Timing Chain .....that chain is either working or broken...no light to warn you of imminent disaster. You DO want to change the timing change when it's scheduled, even though it's expensive. The replacement chain is far less costly than the replacement engine.
  • BMW540BMW540 Member Posts: 33
    Once in a while when I start my M45 it will blow out blue smoke and possibly run rough like it has a stuck lifter. The roughness doesn't happen very often, and it probably only blows smoke once every month or two. However, the car does seem to be using a lot of oil. Yesterday when I checked it before going on a 300 mile trip I was shocked to see it down approx. 3 quarts! It is time to change the oil, but where is all the oil going in a car that has only 40,000 miles on it?
    Bmw
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    It sounds like a rather textbook case of bad valve stem seals or valve guides, but the miles seem too low for that, so I'm going to first suggest that the PCV system be checked for malfunction (positive crankcase ventilation) and also that the vehicle be carefully inspected for engine sludge.
  • hsmolinhsmolin Member Posts: 20
    I came to this forum to search out the steering problem that I was experiencing on my 2008 M35x. Took it to the dealer a couple months ago for the 3000 mile service and dealer said they drove it and found nothing wrong. I thought I was nuts until someone else drove my car and mentioned that the car was very difficult to control on the highway. The problem still exists and is very dangerous. Can't take your eye off the road for a second for fear that your car will be in a different lane.
  • art234art234 Member Posts: 99
    You might be referring to tramlining, where the car wants to go in its own direction.
    I would ask to have the tires replaced with non Goodyear tires...in fact it's a known issue and I would insist on tire change.

My saga continues--in dealing with an interior rattle the dealer heard, his response was "play the radio".......never another Infiniti for me.
  • barryendbarryend Member Posts: 121
    I suggest you read mine and others postings. Other Infiniti forums have similar postings. DEMAND NEW TIRES for a start. These cars should be recalled. My Audi is due soon. Bon Voyage Infiniti.
    Also search this discussion for "steering" and you will see 137 postings discussing steering problems. The M's have this problems. Not the G's.
    By the way, they improved the 2008 M35 (non sports or x) by introducing trammeling. Fortunately, I only have a 2 year lease....

At some point, the NHTSA will get enough complaints or there will be enough accidents so that they focus on this. Hint....
    I think the trammeling is within NHTSA acceptable limits. Perhaps the M shares this issue and ride quality with other pickup trucks loaded with live poultry.

My wife would not drive mine unless I was in no shape to.

Not a great car for the Bronx River Parkway.

I got used to the steering since it was like some boats I have sailed.

Conti Contact tires helped allot. Much safer in rain & snow also.
    Complaints Summary
    Make: INFINITI
    Model: M35

Year: 2007
    Complaint Number: 10262951
    Summary:
    1 - PROBLEM HAS OCCURED SINCE I PURCHASED THE CAR NEW IN FEB 2007.1 - WHEN I DRIVE ON ROADS WITH TRUCK RUTS THE CAR PULLS ONE SIDE OR ANOTHER, OFTEN FORCING ME INTO THE OTHER TRAFFIC LANE (IF I DO NOT CATCH IT SOON ENOUGH). 3 - NO RECALL TO FIX THIS PROBLEM TO DATE. I DO NOT HAVE AN ALIGNMENT PROBLEM NOR A TIRE PROBLEM.

Complaints Summary

Complaint Number: 10255842
    Summary:
    CAR HAS VERY IRREGULAR STEERING ESPECIALLY ON GROOVED PAVEMENT. PULLS SHARPLY IN EITHER DIRECTION FROM TIME TO TIME. I BELIEVE THIS IS CALLED TRAMLINING. I HAD A 2006INFINITI M35X SEDAN WHICH HAD THIS PROBLEM AND I NOW HAVE A 2007 MODEL OF THE SAME CAR AND THE PROBLEM IS EVEN WORSE. MY WIFE REFUSES TO DRIVE THE CAR THINKING IT IS UNSAFE. I HAVE NEW TIRES ON THE CAR. *TR

Complaints Summary

Complaint Number: 10251031
    Summary:
    I OWN A 2007 INFINITI M35X AND IT PULLS OR IT HAS TRAMLINING ISSUES. THE CAR PULLS WILDLY TO THE RIGHT OR LEFT INDISCRIMINATE ON VARIOUS ROADS. THE CAR FEELS LIKE IT IS GOING TO LOOSE CONTROL AND GO INTO THE DITCH OR ONE COMING TRAFFIC! SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH THE TIRES, STEERING RACK OR BOTH. RECALL IS IN ORDER. *TR

Complaints Summary

Complaint Number: 10245407
    Summary:
    ON MILDLY RUTTED HIGHWAY SURFACES, SUCH AS I-5 AND I405, VEHICLE JERKS TO THE LEFT AND RIGHT, REQUIRING AGGRESSIVE STEERING WHEEL MANAGEMENT TO KEEP THE CAR IN THE PROPER LANE OF TRAVEL. ON HEAVILY WORN SURFACES, LIKE I-90 IN SPOKANE, THE CAR WILL JERK HARD ENOUGH TO THE LEFT AND RIGHT TO SWERVE INTO THE NEXT LANE ON EITHER SIDE. DEALER SAYS THIS IS A COMMON COMPLAINT ON M35X (ALL WHEEL DRIVE) ONLY. WAS ADVISED BY INFINITI DEALER TO INCREASE TIRE AIR PRESSURE TO 37PSI FRONT AND 33PSI REAR. THIS HELPED BUT NOT SUBSTATIONALLY THIS IS A DANGEROUS VEHICLE! NO ACCIDENT, YET! THERE NEEDS TO BE A DESIGN CHANGE BEFORE I GET KILLED OF KILL SOMEONE ELSE. *TR

Complaints Summary

Complaint Number: 10221928
    Summary:
    I PURCHASED A NEW INFINITI 2007 M35X DECEMBER OF 2006 THE CAR CAME EQUIPPED WITH GOOD YEAR RSA TIRES 245-45-18 AFTER 15,000 THE TIRES ARE TOTALLY WORN TO THE WEAR BARS FRONT AND REAR THESE TIRES HAVE BEEN ROTATE AT 6,500 MILES AND 13,000 MILES. THE CAR IS UNSAFE TO DRIVE ON THE HIGHWAY IT FOLLOWS THE GROVES IN THE ROAD, ALSO IN RAIN IT IS HORRIBLE AND UNSAFE. TIRE PRESSER IS AT 33 LBS ON ALL TIRES AND ALL TIRES ARE EVENLY WORN. *TR

Complaints Summary

Complaint Number: 10262951
    Summary:
    1 - PROBLEM HAS OCCURED SINCE I PURCHASED THE CAR NEW IN FEB 2007.1 - WHEN I DRIVE ON ROADS WITH TRUCK RUTS THE CAR PULLS ONE SIDE OR ANOTHER, OFTEN FORCING ME INTO THE OTHER TRAFFIC LANE (IF I DO NOT CATCH IT SOON ENOUGH). 3 - NO RECALL TO FIX THIS PROBLEM TO DATE. I DO NOT HAVE AN ALIGNMENT PROBLEM NOR A TIRE PROBLEM.

Complaints Summary

Complaint Number: 10255842
    Summary:
    CAR HAS VERY IRREGULAR STEERING ESPECIALLY ON GROOVED PAVEMENT. PULLS SHARPLY IN EITHER DIRECTION FROM TIME TO TIME. I BELIEVE THIS IS CALLED TRAMLINING. I HAD A 2006INFINITI M35X SEDAN WHICH HAD THIS PROBLEM AND I NOW HAVE A 2007 MODEL OF THE SAME CAR AND THE PROBLEM IS EVEN WORSE. MY WIFE REFUSES TO DRIVE THE CAR THINKING IT IS UNSAFE. I HAVE NEW TIRES ON THE CAR. *TR

Complaints Summary

Complaint Number: 10251031
    Summary:
    I OWN A 2007 INFINITI M35X AND IT PULLS OR IT HAS TRAMLINING ISSUES. THE CAR PULLS WILDLY TO THE RIGHT OR LEFT INDISCRIMINATE ON VARIOUS ROADS. THE CAR FEELS LIKE IT IS GOING TO LOOSE CONTROL AND GO INTO THE DITCH OR ONE COMING TRAFFIC! SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH THE TIRES, STEERING RACK OR BOTH. RECALL IS IN ORDER. *TR

Complaints Summary

Complaint Number: 10245407
    Summary:
    ON MILDLY RUTTED HIGHWAY SURFACES, SUCH AS I-5 AND I405, VEHICLE JERKS TO THE LEFT AND RIGHT, REQUIRING AGGRESSIVE STEERING WHEEL MANAGEMENT TO KEEP THE CAR IN THE PROPER LANE OF TRAVEL. ON HEAVILY WORN SURFACES, LIKE I-90 IN SPOKANE, THE CAR WILL JERK HARD ENOUGH TO THE LEFT AND RIGHT TO SWERVE INTO THE NEXT LANE ON EITHER SIDE. DEALER SAYS THIS IS A COMMON COMPLAINT ON M35X (ALL WHEEL DRIVE) ONLY. WAS ADVISED BY INFINITI DEALER TO INCREASE TIRE AIR PRESSURE TO 37PSI FRONT AND 33PSI REAR. THIS HELPED BUT NOT SUBSTATIONALLY THIS IS A DANGEROUS VEHICLE! NO ACCIDENT, YET! THERE NEEDS TO BE A DESIGN CHANGE BEFORE I GET KILLED OF KILL SOMEONE ELSE. *TR

Complaints Summary

Year: 2008
    Complaint Number: 10260639
    Summary:
    THE STEERING ON THE CAR PULLS LEFT OR RIGHT WHEN STOPPING DEPENDING ON THE ROAD PITCH. I TOOK THE CAR INTO INFINITY FOR SERVICE. THE SERVICE MAN SAID NOTHINGS WRONG ALL INFINITI'S DO THAT. I AM NOT HAPPY WITH THAT BECAUSE YOU CAN EASILY GET INTO AN ACCIDENT IF THE CAR PULLS INTO THE OTHER LANE. THIS SEEMS TO ME LIKE SOME SORT OF DEFECT IN THE STEERING OR BRAKING OF THE CAR. *TR

Complaints Summary

Complaint Number: 10250128
    Summary:
    2008 INFINITI M35 SPORT HAS A SEVERE TRAMLINING PROBLEM. DRIVING THE CAR ABOVE 60 MPH THE STEERING BECOMES VERY UNPREDICTABLE. THE CAR LIKES TO SWERVE LEFT AND RIGHT AND RARELY WANTS TO TRAVEL IN A STRAIGHT LINE. SOMETIMES THE CAR ACTUALLY GOES INTO THE OTHER LANE. CAR WILL NOT TRACK STRAIGHT FOR MORE THAN A SECOND OR TWO AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS. EVEN MORE NOTICEABLE IS AT SLOWER SPEEDS (I.E. COMING TO A STOP) VEHICLES PULLS VERY HARD AS THOUGH IT HAS HIT A LARGE POTHOLE. I AM VERY DISAPPOINTED. *TR

Complaints Summary

Complaint Number: 10248870
    Summary:
    BRAND NEW 2008 INFINITI M35 SPORT HAS A SEVERE TRAMLINING PROBLEM. DRIVING THE CAR ABOVE 60 MPH THE STEERING BECOMES VERY UNPREDICTABLE. THE CAR LIKES TO SWERVE LEFT AND RIGHT AND RARELY WANTS TO TRAVEL IN A STRAIGHT LINE. SOMETIMES THE CAR ACTUALLY GOES INTO THE OTHER LANE. CAR WILL NOT TRACK STRAIGHT FOR MORE THAN A SECOND OR TWO AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS. INFINITI DEALERSHIP SAYS THERE IS NOTHING WRONG. THEY ARE OBVIOUSLY NOT TELLING THE TRUTH. *TR

Complaints Summary

Complaint Number: 10247283
    Summary:
    MY CAR, A 2008 INFINITI M35X, EXHIBITED EXTREME TRAMLINING (POOR ROAD TRACKING) ON INITIAL DRIVE. THE CAR WOULD WANDER ALL OVER A LANE WHEN RIDING ON A RESURFACED TAR LINE OR SIMILAR. IT WAS MORE SEVERE AT HIGHER SPEEDS. COMPLAINT TO THE DEALER RESULTED IN AN IMMEDIATE TIRE REPLACEMENT, FROM
    Complaints Summary

Complaint Number: 10247283
    Summary:
    MY CAR, A 2008 INFINITI M35X, EXHIBITED EXTREME TRAMLINING (POOR ROAD TRACKING) ON INITIAL DRIVE. THE CAR WOULD WANDER ALL OVER A LANE WHEN RIDING ON A RESURFACED TAR LINE OR SIMILAR. IT WAS MORE SEVERE AT HIGHER SPEEDS. COMPLAINT TO THE DEALER RESULTED IN AN IMMEDIATE TIRE REPLACEMENT, FROM GOODYEAR EAGLE RS-A TO MICHELIN PRIMACY MXV4 WHICH RESULTED IN SOMEWHAT BETTER ROAD RESPONSE, BUT STILL QUITE SEVERE AND NOTICEABLE EVEN AT LOW SPEEDS. THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE PERFORMANCE FROM ANY CAR, LET ALONE ONE THAT COSTS MORE THAN $50,000. CHECKING VARIOUS FORUMS, I SEE THAT MANY PEOPLE HAVE COMPLAINED ABOUT THIS VERY PROBLEM. MANY CLAIM THAT CHANGING OUT THE STEERING RACK SOLVES THE PROBLEM. IT'S CLEARLY DANGEROUS AS IT STANDS AND NISSAN/INFINITI SHOULD ISSUE A RECALL TO CORRECT IT. *TR

Complaints Summary

Complaint Number: 10220198
    Summary:
    STEERING MECHANISM IS DEFECTIVE. STEERING WHEEL TRAMLNES AND WANDERS. UNSAFE LANE CHANGE. *TR

Complaints Summary

Complaint Number: 10217860
    Summary:
    THE STEERING WHEEL "TRAMLINES" AND TURNS UNCONTROLLABLY. AT LOW SPEEDS , AND BEFORE THE CAR COMES TO A FULL STOP, THE STEERING WHEEL MAY COME TO REST AT A 30 DEGREE ANGLE. *TR

Complaints Summary

Year: 2006
    Complaint Number: 10262863
    Summary:
    BOUGHT CAR IN OCT/2008. AFTER FIRST MONTH NOTICED ERRATIC STEERING PROBLEMS. SEARCHED ONLINE AND FOUND SEVERAL OTHERS WHO HAD SAME PROBLEM. CAR PULLS TO RIGHT OR LEFT VERY ERRATICALLY EVEN ON SMOOTH FLAT ROADS. TOOK CAR TO ONLY INFINITI DEALERSHIP 3 TIMES. THEY DROVE CAR AND SUGGESTED I BUY NEW TIRES BEFORE THEY WOULD LOOK AT ANY STEERING ISSUES. THE TIRES THAT WERE ON THE CAR ONLY HAD 3000 MILES ON THEM. REPLACED TIRES ANYWAY WITH SECOND SET. CAR STILL HAD SAME PROBLEMS. TOOK CAR BACK TO DEALERSHIP, TECH DROVE 6 MILES AND SAID NOTHING WAS WRONG WITH THE CAR. CALLED INFINITI CONSUMER AFFAIRS TO NOTIFY OF THE PROBLEM AND POOR SERVICE FROM INFINITI DEALERSHIP. CONSUMER AFFAIRS SPOKE WITH DEALERSHIP AND BOTH REFUSED TO FIX THE CAR. THIS CAR IS UNDER FACTORY WARRANTY WITH AN EXTENDED WARRANTY AND WAS TOLD THAT THIS STEERING IS NORMAL FOR THE CAR AND THEY WERE NOT GOING TO FIX IT. I EVEN GAVE THEM CONTACT INFO FOR OTHER DEALERS THAT HAVE REPLACED PARTS ON OTHER CARS FOR THE SAME PROBLEM. THIS CAR IS UNSAFE. DEALER DID NOT TAKE TIME PUT ON THE RACK TO INSPECT OR PROPERLY TEST DRIVE. TERRIBLE DEALERSHIP WITH TERRIBLE SERVICE!! *TR

Complaints Summary

Complaint Number: 10258870
    Summary:
    THIS CAR WILL FOLLOW EVERY DIP OR RUT IN THE ROAD AND WILL PULL THE WHEEL HARD TO RIGHT AND LEFT MAIN IT DANGEROUS TO DRIVE IF BOTH HANDS ARE TIGHTLY GRIPPING THE WHEEL. NEW TIRES HELP THE PROBLEM FOR A WHILE BUT THEN IT STARTED BACK UP AFTER THE TIRES GET WORN IN AGAIN. *TR

Complaints Summary

Complaint Number: 10257736
    Summary:
    TL*THE CONTACT OWNS A 2006 INFINITI M35. WHILE DRIVING APPROXIMATELY 55 MPH ON UNEVEN ROAD SURFACES, THE VEHICLE UNEXPECTEDLY PULLED TO THE LEFT WITHOUT ASSISTANCE. THE VEHICLE TURNED IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION OF THE INTENDED STEERING. THE VEHICLE HAS NOT BEEN DIAGNOSED FOR THE MALFUNCTION. THE CONTACT IS IN THE PROCESS OF TAKING THE VEHICLE TO THE DEALER FOR REPAIR. THE FAILURE AND CURRENT MILEAGES WERE 28,000.

Complaints Summary

Complaint Number: 10256809
    Summary:
    2006 INFINITI MX35 STEERING PROBLEMS. CONSUMER STATES THAT OTHER OWNERS HAVE THE SAME STEERING PROBLEMS. *NJ THE DEALER STATED THAT ALL ASPECTS OF THE STEERING SYSTEM TESTED NORMALLY. *JB

Complaints Summary

Complaint Number: 10252326
    Summary:
    VEHICLE EXPERIENCES SEVERE "TRAMLINING" OR PULLING OF THE STEERING WHEEL TO THE LEFT OR RIGHT UNDER BRAKING OR ON UNEVEN ROAD SURFACES. I HAVE ALMOST ENDED UP IN THE NEXT LANE AND MUST APPLY ACTIVE PRESSURE TO KEEP THE STEERING CENTERED. *TR

Complaints Summary

Complaint Number: 10246745
    Summary:
    THE CAR STEERING IS UNSTABLE AND CAN'T GO STRAIGHT ON THE UNEVEN PAVEMENT. IT GOES TO RIGHT OR LEFT BY ITSELF. THE ALIGNMENT DOESN'T FIX THE PROBLEM. THE NEW SET OF TIRE DOESN'T FIX THE PROBLEM. TOTALLY, THE DRIVING FEELING IS UNSAFE. *TR

Complaints Summary

Complaint Number: 10216326
    Summary:
    STEERING DIFFICULT TO CONTROL. DEALER INSTALLED NEW STEERING RACK.. SEEMS TO HAVE CURED PROBLEM. *TR

Complaints Summary

Complaint Number: 10161464
    Summary:
    WHEN DRIVING OVER A SECTION OF RUTTED ROAD THE CAR MOVES UNPREDICTABLY AND STRONGLY TO BOTH LEFT AND RIGHT REQUIRING CONSTANT STEERING ADJUSTMENTS TO KEEP IT STRAIGHT. THIS CAUSES A HAZARD IN HEAVY TRAFFIC. *NM

Complaints Summary

Complaint Number: 10159432
    Summary:
    2006 M35 SPORT PULLED TO THE RIGHT WHEN BRAKING OR HITTING A BUMP. *TS WHEN THIS OCCURRED THE CONSUMER LOST SOME CONTROL OF THE VEHICLE. *NM
    Thanks for posting all the complaints here....it may help get infiniti to focus on the problem, once they know (hint) that it's on Edmunds.

I don't know if they have a standard for this....if an accident occurs and is linked to this problem, I suspect that they have enough to start an investigation.....

Hopefully, Infiniti will do a public or private recall on tires...
  • veragenveragen Member Posts: 34
    I was reading some of previous posting from Infiniti-M’s maintenance & repair thread and I find some owners and lease-drivers have a very serious situation with their `06 thru `08 Infiniti-M’s! I’m looking towards a possibility to get a 2009 luxury /sports mid-size sedan at year-end `09 sale. My luxury choice as of now is the Lexus ES350 or Hyundai Genesis 4.6 and (my favorite & high marks from CR) lux-n-sporty Infiniti-M. So what gives this problem with the Infiniti-M? Can anyone explain or express any recent resolutions to their Infiniti-M? I’m kind of leaning as a year-end potential buyer of the “M”, but will keep myself posted and aware in these areas of this car. And is possible can it be other issues besides the tires, ABS, tire air pressure & steering–rack/alignment. Maybe other features need looking into like the electronic stability control, intelligent cruise-control or lane departure feature to prevent the “M” to intermit or possible crashing. :confuse:

VeraGen
    The M35X is not a luxury riding car. It is harsh, noisy, heavy steering, poor directional control, ineffective seat heaters, crummy Bose speakers, and a huge gas hog. My wife hated it.

My lease expired in Feb and I am waiting for a special ordered an Audi A4 2.0 with sports suspension package.

Your other cars considered are luxury rather than performance driving cars. Two good choices if you like their feel and handling.

CR is not a good source of car tests. They are better for safety and reliability data. Read the forums with postings and reviews by real users.

I also hear BMW is giving great deals on 328's or 328x's.
    Also take a few long test drives over rough roads, tight parking garages, potholes and highways. If two suspension options are offered drive one of each. The Audi A4 sports and standard suspensions ride and steer like two different cars.

Listen to the stereo, See if the seat heaters really work (unlike M35s)

Don't be bullied and BSed by salesmen. Most people spend more time trying on shoes than road testing cars.

Discuss OEM tires before accepting delivery. Read the ratings on Tire Rack . Don't get a $50,000 car with worthless rubber like Goodyears on Infinities.
    IMO, the Infiniti M35X is the worst of the M line. It does give you the all wheel drive, but not close to what Audi or Subaru's AWD.

On top of that, the OEM tires from Infiniti just made it worse - I have mine replaced at 20K and it drives perfectly. During normal drive, it feels like a luxury car and when drive aggressively, it reminds me of BMW 330i or even the M3 (I have no experience for the current M3 and I am comparing with the M3 back in 2005).

So, if you do decided to get an M, try to avoid the X - M35X or M45X and replace the OEM tire with something else. You will get yourself a luxury performance sedan.

As far as the seat heater - I am in Texas, so, no complaint there since I rarely use it. But the seat cooler works beatifully!
    IN NY they only carry the M35X. Mine went great in snow especially when I tossed the Goodyear RS-As and got Conti Contacts. I am a skier. Contis also reduced the trammeling. Still the ride was harsh and noisy, steering heavy and unsafe and the Bose is a fancy label on a cheap stereo. Roads in the NYC area are often rough. In NY you need a car that steers straight on narrow parkways and streets. Borrowing a 2006 Jetta GLI with sports suspension until my Audi arrives. Jetta rides and handles allot better than M35X. Kudos to the M for quality build, navigation, good looks, service, and roomy interior. Just not the car for NYC suburbs. Everyone here hates them.
    I had G35s as loaners and loved them. If the rear seats folded down I may have consider a G37 with the new engine and tranny.
    I got you. Yeah, when the road get really rough, the steering could be a problem. For you guys up north, AWD makes sense (vs. RWD). So, I guess the M is not a northern car then. Still, I am simply pointing out (and agree with you) that there are steering related issues with M35X regardless where it is driven or how it is driven.

I like the G35 as well - the newer version. The older model is OK, but not as nice as the M, so I bought my M45 and so far it has treated me really good. The premium sound upgrade make it bearable - still not great consider the cost of the car ($58k).

When are you going to get your Audi?
  • art234art234 Member Posts: 99
    To the person asking about resolution:

My resolution was to insist they replace the tires--with 29K on the car they made me pay half, but then agreed to reimburse me as it was a known issue with the Goodyear tires--and they to date have not reimbursed me!

Then again, I have other issues inside the car, and am willing to walk away from the last three months of the lease--I would NEVER recommend an Infiniti to anyone any more based on this experience.

When you leave the car for a week, and they say they can't find the vibration noise in the cabin, then you insist that the service advisor comes on a drive and he hears the noise, then the service manager says "just turn up your radio", there is a PROBLEM.
    Art

Yes. Some auto problems have no solution. M35X trammeling may be one. My kids just moved to Dix Hills. Try the trammeling the Bronx River Parkway from the Cross County to White Plains for a white knuckle M35X ride. See Pepe Infiniti. They may solve your problems. They replaced my steering rack on my 2006 M.

Could your vibration be from wheel damage from potholes in NYC?

Lease was over 2/09 I had the 14 speaker 5.1 Bose but the speakers were light weights. I liked the cruise that slowed with the traffic and the keyless entry, a/c seats too.

Audi is due in late April. I didn't order all the Infiniti level options like keyless and Bang Olufsen stereo. That would be a 3,000 add-on. I have another car in the meantime.

I may have considered another M if they put the 7-speed in the 2009s. Still the Audi A4 is a great car albeit smaller and much lighter on the gas pump. A smaller car is easier to maneuver in my area. We don't have the Autobahn like L.I.E. ;) We do have the Sprain Brook speedway whose 55 mph limit is eschewed by the 75-80 mph average. A great source of ticket revenues and DWI arrests.