Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti M35/M45 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• demarcomdemarcom Member Posts: 5
    I do believe the supply problem has subsided. I have a scheduled appointment for Nov 6th to have all 4 panels replaced. As to overall quality this is the only issue I have experienced with this M35x...
  • j21mj21m Member Posts: 22
    This is such a great car! I owned 3 M-B's previously and my '07 M35 car is superior! Yes I live in Fl and had to replace 2 door panels, but otherwise this car is a gem...Can't wait for the 2011 ;)
  • demarcomdemarcom Member Posts: 5
    I just had all 4 replaced on my 08. Service advisor said it's been a problem on all year M's and the 08 panel are the easiest to get. Evidently the 06 and 07 have lots of backorders.
  • justthefacts2justthefacts2 Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone noticed small (size of a pin head) orange/ rust colored spots on their white infiniti? There very stubborn and hard to remove. Seem almost like freckles.
  • james27james27 Member Posts: 433
    While a scary thought, could it be rust peaking through? If it is one of the panels that isn't made of AL, it could be. I was very disappointed in the paint and metal prep on mine. Stone chips take a big divot out of the paint...other cars I've owned, it made a small crater, the paint on the hood causes it to separate from the metal, like they used a poor primer and break out. On a fender, a little paint chip rusts almost instantly. If the panel was not prepped well, it could be rust.

On the Audi I had before the Infiniti, all of the steel panels were double-sided galvanized, so a paint chip never had a chance of rusting...not so on the Infiniti.
  • justthefacts2justthefacts2 Member Posts: 4
    That would be very disappointing. While the spots are stubborn, they do seem like something you can rub off and there is no obvious damage to the clear coat underneath. Almost seems like the color leaches out from underneath. If you know any other sites that I might check for information, please forward the link. I can not believe I'm the only case and if others noticed this it may be a quality / mfg issue
  • osbornkgosbornkg Member Posts: 30
    I am not totally sure but much of the skin is aluminum to reduce weight, which cannot be galvanized. Aluminum can however be anodized for protection but who knows what those rice eaters are up to. One thing I would suggest which has helped us with the last 3 Infiniti’s is having a clear bra installed over the front-end and front third of hood. Several companies make this product with 3M being a leader. Our 2007 M has 52K and the front bumper still looks new. Do a google for auto clear bras and you should be able to find kits and installers who come to your home or business. You won’t be disappointed.
    The fenders are steel. So, are these spots all over, or only on certain panels? The aluminum panels don't technically rust, but if not prepared properly the paint doesn't stick well. The only thing that saves elemental aluminum from corroding away to nothing quickly is it forms a thin aluminum oxide skin amost immediately. Unlike iron where the iron oxide (rust) is bigger than the elemental metal (and thus exposes more iron to corrosion), aluminum oxide creates a seal to further oxidation unless abraided - the aluminum oxide is almost the same size, and doesn't expose the metal underneath to further corrosion.
  • longspot2002longspot2002 Member Posts: 2
    I am having the same problem with my 2007 M35x. Did you ever find out what the cause of your problem was and were you able to resolve it?
  • longspot2002longspot2002 Member Posts: 2
    I am having the same problem with downshifting when braking going downhill. Did you ever find a resolution to that issue?
  • rocketman62rocketman62 Member Posts: 1
    While driving my m35X tonight my monitor screen scrambled and went blank (stayed that way) and now the audio system is not operating. Any ideas? Thanks.
  • 1carnut1carnut Member Posts: 1
    Thanks to all who have provided comments regarding this issue. I had complained about it for 2 yrs to the local dealership, and all I got was "that's the way the car is designed" - now we all know that is BS. I have a 2007 M35x, and I do not have any steering rack or mis-alignment issues. However, the violent pulling of the front wheels on rough roads got worse as the tires wore down (20,000 mi). My car had the Goodyear RS-A's, and they are horrible. After much research and discussions with tires "experts", I decided to take a gamble and replace the tires. I went with the Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum UHP All Season tires. This was a tough choice, because of the good all season tires out there - they are all about $1000 for this car (installed/complete). The Kumho's had all great reviews and the 60k mile warranty. They changed everything. Gone is the violent pulling - it has been reduced to more of a gentle tug - the same, and perhaps a bit better, than our BMW 135 converitble. Both cars have 18" wheels, but the BMW has UHP run flat tires - we still feel a little bit of tugging in the BMW (2 wheel drive). The Infiniti is now much, much better, and as my wife puts it "safe". We have had the tires for about 500 mi now, and the change was dramatic. It is my understanding that the construction of the all season tire, which differs from a summer UHP tire, is what helps in this situation. For those of you who have dealerships that have helped you, you are fortunate. My dealership refused to help me at all. SInce Infiniti/Nissan will not acknowledge the issue, neither will they. Infiniti's consumer affairs group has ignored the emails I sent to them; all I got was the automated reply. I did log a compliant with the NHTSA. I have to question a manufacturer of a luxury automobile who refuses to acknowledge an issue like this. Kudos to Toyota for taking the hit and following through on the floor mat/gas pedal issues. We have decided to get rid of our M35x, and we will no longer consider Infiniti or Nissan products at any level. It's not the products they create, because we really like the car; it's the way they treat the consumer, especially when there is a potentially negative issue. This issue could be addressed individually and easily. But it would cost Infiniti/Nissan $$, and I assume they are not willing to put up the $$ to save some consumers. What a shame. Let's hope our USA automobile manufacturers embrace better consumer support than this. Thanka again to those who commented in this forum - the data helped me a make a decision that worked for us.
  • BMW540BMW540 Member Posts: 33
    While my fuel gauge has never functioned properly and I guess this is the norm. My nav computer for fuel economy did until they replaced it. It used to be quite accurate. Now it will say I'm getting 15 mpg., yet it states, 10 miles to empty I still have 6 gallons. Anybody have a idea. As usual, the dealer is of no assistance. Thank you
    BMW
  • mltsurgermltsurger Member Posts: 102
    I have the M45 X with the Goodyear RSA's ,I live in Wi. and decided to go with winter Tires.I put 17 inch Bridgestone Blizzacks L60.The dealer stated I needed to buy them from them and that 17 inch wheels would not have clearance.I thought that strange when I noticed the spare is a 17 inch size.Anyway,when I left my local mechanic's shop ,I was driving a different car.The Tramlining was resolved.The car was nice before but concerning on certain roads.Its the tire/design combination of the vehicle.It was not safe and now is.They should fix the issue or be prepared to pay for someones life lost.
  • kiwikkiwik Member Posts: 10
    I live in Colorado and just put on new Michelin AS Pilot Sport Plus tires on my M35X and what a difference!!! I agree the 'tramlining' is gone and its like driving a brand new car.
  • BMW540BMW540 Member Posts: 33
    I just adjusted my volume for my cell as per instructions on this forum and it did help. Thanks guys! I am still hoping to hear if anybody has the problems with both their fuel gauge and the computer not being able to calculate how much gas is in the car? I stated earlier in the forum how at least my computer was accurate until the dealer replaced part of it. Now they say,nothing is wrong, and it is just guess work on how much gas remains in the tank. I also still have some kind of driveline whine at about 40mph and 80 mph while under power that they say they cannot hear. not super loud, but never the less there.
    Selective hearing I think. Any ideas or solutions would be great.
    BMW
    The Bridgestone winter tires,Blizzacks are a wonderful driving change.I do not look forward to the Spring in going back to the Goodyear RSA's .There is a safety issue with the tires and Infiniti should own up to it.I do have life insurance for the RSA's quick pulling to the ditch or worse in front of a truck !
  • shmangshmang Member Posts: 297
    If you hate the RSA tire that much and worried about your life, I would just replace them. Yeah, it will cost you, but it is not worth risk your life or suffer while driving a luxury car like an M - you paid way more than a set of tire. I would buy a Accord instead if the $1k is a big deal - no offend intended.
    I will ,thanks for your insight.I am still concerned that the dealers contend that the tires and pull are normal.
  • southbay1southbay1 Member Posts: 9
    I've been experiencing fairly severe tramlining with my '06 M35 Sport and had no success resolving it by doing steering checks, wheel alignments, watching the tire pressure, etc. I was running on fairly worn Bridgestone Potenza RE050 (orig equip) and was skeptical that changing tires would resolve what I thought was a mechanical/design issue.

I finally bit the bullet and installed new Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 and am amazed at how much better the car handles. The tramlining is still there but it is hardly noticeable under most driving conditions. I also have the added benefit of better cornering and decreased road noise. I just hope the problem doesn't return/worsen as the tires get worn. We'll see ...
  • barryendbarryend Member Posts: 121
    My former 2006 M35X was improved when the worn RS-As were replaced with Conti Contact Extremes. I declined leasing another M and went for an Audi A4 2.0 with sports package. 18" Pirelli P7 summer tires and now winter tires. The difference in steering, tracking and handling is astounding. The M was borderline unsafe.

I suggest anyone who acquires an Infinity with the RS-As change them out ASAP. They may be OK for the 1st year. Put them in storage and remount them for lease end. If you own the car dump them when the car trammels.
    I agree.Not safe and I have placed Blizzachs on my M45X ,what a difference.
    I run Michelin Alpine snows in the winter on my M35x, and they're quieter and track better than the Goodyears. They don't quite have the same performance, but are close. I'm planning on replacing the car, maybe with a BMW 530ix GT late summer when that becomes available, and hope to avoid buying new tires. I dread putting the Goodyears back on, but don't want to spend the money to replace them if I'm buying a new car. The new M's have less headroom in them than the old ones, and that puts it out of the market as well.
    People are shaming Toyota.Why do we not expect safe tires on an Infinity ? The rest of the car is incredible!
  • tom2006tom2006 Member Posts: 6
    Does anyone know it there is a better highway gear for the differential? I have a 2006 M-35, I think it has a 3.54, and I believe the M-45 has a 3.36 ratio. I would like to change to a 3.00 or less ( smaller) for better gas mileage.
  • capoanycapoany Member Posts: 32
    I expereienced the same things on my '06 Sport, and went to the Michelin Pilot Sports. That was over 40K miles ago, and they are still great. Probably have another 10-15K left ( I rotate every 6-7K), tramlining decreased dramatically, still the case. Best tire for the 19 in Sport set up. By the way, I am a dedicated Blizzak guy, but didn't get a set for the M yet...procrastinated. This morning, on the heels of the great blizzard of 2010, I drove from the Poconos to NYC on the Pilot Sports, with zero problems, including snow and ice covered hilly secondary roads. Still going to do winter tires next year, but the Michelins are outstanding all around tires that transform the Sport.
  • m4mm4m Member Posts: 76
    edited February 2010
    Infiniti released a reflash for the Transmission Control Module (TCM) to resolve this issue.

The applicable vehicles are as follows for ITB09-032

2009 FX 35 (S51) 2WD
    2009 FX 35/50 (S51) AWD
    2009 G37 Sport Sedan (V36) 2WD and AWD
    2009 G37 Sport Coupe (CV36) 2WD and AWD
    2009 M35 (Y50) 2WD ONLY

The flash made a very noticable improvement throughout the shift range, not just the 3 to 4. That being said, the 7 speed is very different than the 4 or 5 speed in most older vehicles and does take some getting used to.
    shi mag-How much are the accords and do they come with RSA's.No offend offered.
  • slyfox16slyfox16 Member Posts: 37
    We are picking up a new M35x in a couple of days and read about the problems people were having with the Goodyear tire. How severe an issue is it and will the dealer replace them with another tire, if you ask? (What model would anyone suggest)
    The tire issue makes the drive exciting and demands that you drive with two hands on the wheel unless on an interstate.I now have my winter tires on for the first time and I can not believe the improvement.I changed these with 12,000 miles on my car .I don't know if the dealer will do anything for you,but it is worth a try.At first it is not so bad but at 10,000 miles it was very pronounced.I plan to buy new tires this spring unless there is a safety recall,which Infinity should do!
    Don't pick up the Infiniti. I you have to, do not accept it with the RS-A tires. Different tires help but do not cure.

The NHSA site has complaints about Infiniti steering gong back to 2006.

When my lease was over I changed to an Audi A4. Much better car.
    I am picking up my 2010 M35 in the next couple of days. With all the posts about tramling, I am paying to have the Goddyears replaced.(The dealer says he contacted Infiniti and they didn't know anything about a problem and wouldn't do anything.) I live in NYC which would give a better ride the Michelin Pilot Sport or the Continental Extreme Contact, as these seem to be the most mentioned as replacement tires.
    Your dealer must be a psychopathic lair. Some way to start a long term relationship.
    Search this Federal database http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/

Kill the deal or mourn later.
    Tell dealer you want out or you will call Chuck Schumer. He would love the grandstand. Run don't walk to another car. Worst case settle for a G or FX. At least they drive straight.
    Take the M for a spin on the Bronx River Parkway and see for your self.
    Had one for three years. Wife and daughter would not drive it. Thought I was losing my driving skills.
    Demo and M35 and an Audi A4 back to back and write us.
    I wish I knew this before I bought the M.The dealer told me that it was not an issue and that the car is a lux. Performance car.Very quick handling.
    Print out the steering complaints from 2006 and next years and meet with the dealer. Tell him you want to bust up the deal our you will call Consumers Union, Schumer, Cuomo, Arnold Diaz, Ralph Nader, Fox News and Al Sharpton.

You should not accept delivery.

I hear free Michelins are a common give away.

Which dealer did you buy from?
    I am purchasing the M35 from a dealer in the NYC area.
    The M35X is a very good car except for the steering trammeling and fuel mileage. I likeed the looks, quality, tech, and spaciousness. I did not lease another when my term expired in early 2009. I am glad I did not. Bad steering is unacceptable to me.

I would:
    Not accept the RS-A tires or
    Break the deal and insist my deposit was returned and shop for something else. Or:
    Settle with a different Infiniti model
    The M35X is a very good car except for the steering trammeling and fuel mileage. I liked the looks, quality, tech, and spaciousness. I did not lease another when my term expired in early 2009. I am glad I did not. Bad steering is unacceptable to me.

I would:
    Not accept the RS-A tires or
    Break the deal and insist my deposit was returned and shop for something else. Or:
    Settle for a different Infiniti model
  • m4mm4m Member Posts: 76
    My opion is that its all depends on driving style. If you like spirit driving and performance oriented vehicles, I would recommand you INFINITI vehicles but if you like the quite and comfort then to Lexus might be a better bet. Its all up to ur driving style that all matters.
    FYI
    Consumer Reports: Most dependable car
    In addition to top-ranked reliability, the M35 earned near-top scores in Consumer Reports' performance tests.
    http://money.cnn.com/galleries....html
    edited February 2010
    My 2006 M35X Goodyear RS-As were replaced with the Conti's and they were better for tracking and much better in the snow. The latest Conti Extremes and now called RWS(?) I put a pair on my wife's 2007 A4 3.2. They seem good but a bit soft handling. Hard to tell. Their aggressive tread should be good in today's snow storm in NYC. Fine for her needs and driving style.

The Michelin's must be close to $100.00 a tire more and may not be worth the difference. There are several Michelin's models and each are a bit different. Some wear forever but don't stick as well as the softer rubber sports versions. Look at the Michelin web site.

Get the road hazard insurance. I did. My wife just hit a pothole in Manhattan and blew a Conti I bought three months ago from Mavis.

In general, most OEM tires are garbage regardless of the manufacturer. The RS-A trammeling seems to be a major problem on the M35X model. I hear not too bad on the RWD M35.nor G37s.

An exception is if you get a sports package with ultra high performance tires like my 2009 A4. Those are summer only and now I have a dedicated snow-winter set that are made by Goodyear and are great. Blizzaks are supposed to be tops also. I am a skier and need good winter traction.

I you principally drive around NYC then ride and pothole survival are paramount. Michelin Primacy may be worth consideration. Tire Rack is a good source of honest advice.
    I am supposedly getting the Michelins at dealer cost. Cost about $300 for the 4 of them. What is the road hazard insurance?
    I am sure the tires are good in the snow. It is just the other City drivers who don't know how to drive in the snow that worry me.
    Good deal. I suggest asking which Michelin and checking their rating on www.tirerack.com. Even Michelin sold some poor rubber. Hazard insurance pays the pro-rated cost of a new tire. Tire dealers offer it. May save a buck if you blow a tire in a pothole.

I assume the dealer keeps the RS-As for his used car purposes. That's his profit.

Any Michelin tire is an improvement.
    Michelin makes a Primacy and a Pilot for the M. The Primacy has a 620 wear rating vs. the Pilot's 300. I believe the Pilot has a more sporty character. Probably good for 30,000 miles or less vs. 50,000 or more for the Primacy. The Pilot would be my preference. Primacy has to be a hard rubber for long wear vs. handling and traction. Good for an airport limo. All tires are a compromise in some way.
    I believe he is putting on the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S/
    Top notch tire.
    Since I am sort of losing faith in the dealer, can anyone tell me what the correct pressure would be, mainly doing city and some high way driving in NY, for the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. Thanks.
  • tmartin63tmartin63 Member Posts: 19
    I'd check the placard in the door sill. Mine says 30 psi front & rear. Generally speaking it is okay to go a few psi over (32or 33 psi) without problems. It doesn't change with the brand of tire you use.
  • kiwikkiwik Member Posts: 10
    I have the Michelin Pilots and usually have them set between 33-35 psi.
    34 pounds seems to be a reasonable compromise between ride comfort and evenness of wear.