Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti M35/M45 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• allagarooallagaroo Member Posts: 88
    I'm considering a M35X for my current A6 and the poor performance of the heated seats is a big negative for us. Is everyone having this problem? Does it heat both bottom and back? Does the ventilation feature work well? :confuse:

Thanks,
    J
  • james27james27 Member Posts: 433
    The cooling is nicer than the heating. The heat doesn't appear to be electrical resistance heat like on most seats and takes longer to notice. It does cover both the bottom and the back.
  • twhite6279twhite6279 Member Posts: 5
    My A6 and my XC90 had great seat heaters. The M35 has bad heaters, but the rest of the car makes it a much better experience! The seat AC isn't much better, and feels as though they wet, even though they aren't.
  • art234art234 Member Posts: 99
    Has anyone with an M35 experienced a buzzing sound or vibration from the engine compartment between 2500 and 3000 RPM, particularly on acceleration? It seems like a loose shroud or engine cover, but the dealer can't find it.

Any ideas?
    Oh yeah, I agree with all who say the seat heat on the M is slow and not great. It seems to start faster if it's been on for a while, then stop the car and restart--although I can't figure out why.

My wife has the RX-400H from Lexus and the seat heat on that is amazing.
  • jsiller58jsiller58 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2006 Infiniti M45, with the Adv Tech package. I have what looks to be aux inputs mounted behind the center console next to a "lighter" power outlet. Anyway, I just recently got a Creative Zen Micro and connected it into the aux inputs. Unfortunately, when I push the steering wheel "source" button all that it cycles through are the 3 sets of preset radio stations - the aux input is never enabled...

I am sure that this is a silly question, but I must be doing something wrong... I looked into the manual (yes, I broke down and did that!) and all it says to do is to use the "source" button...

Any help would be appreciated. I can always get one of the FM based solutions, but I know that I would be giving up way too much audio quality.

James
    You have to use the Disc selection on the dash-and when you cycle it tot the DVD, move the cursor down to the AUX button in the lower left hand corner and enter.

My IPOD plays fine throught the aux inputs, although when connected to the cig lighter jack it makes a humming noise.

That should help you.
  • bcorigbcorig Member Posts: 13
    Related question - is the Advanced Tech package the only one that has AUX inputs? I'm still playing my iPOD through the radio by FM transmission - really decreases sound quality
    I think you need the upgraded audio with dolby 5.1 and the audio DVD player in the center console in order to have the AV inputs in the back, although I am not sure--and I am not sure which package that is part of.
  • jsiller58jsiller58 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the pointer - don't know how I missed that! Anyway, works great now. I now have my MP3 player hooked up to a Creative Xmod unit (which acts like an external sound card using Creative's X-Fi technology), and then the Xmod connected to the Aux inputs in. The MP3 player and the Xmod unit are neatly tucked into the center console so there isn't any clutter. The sound is great - once again, thanks for the help!

James
    No problem--it was my pleasure.

Enjoy the ride....
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    I've read in the M forums here that the M doesn't use heating elements to warm the seats. It actually uses the HVAC system of the car! That's about the worst possible way to heat the seats. By the time the cars heating system is warm enough to produce warm air, the seats will already be warmed by your body anyway. Very poorly executed by Infiniti. The cooling portion also takes far to long to become noticeable; again, because it is dependent on the car's HVAC system.
  • rollbarrollbar Member Posts: 297
    This is the first post from me on the M board. I have a 2006 G35 Coupe. I'm posting because I have a problem with the transmission in my Coupe that may pop up in the M45.

When shifting manually, sometimes the shift from 2nd to 3rd is very harsh. It actually slams into 3 so hard I wonder if the rear end is going to show up in my rearview mirror. :cry:

Dealer tried a new valve body but it didn't fix the problem; they are busy now putting a new trany in the car. New I say because apparently there are no rebuilts available for my 2006 Coupe. That's a good thing, I would not have been happy with remanufactured.

The kick here is that the Dealer had two cars in the shop with exactly the same symptoms; you guessed it, the other car was an M45. Apparently the two share transmission components. The two tranys are not identical but close.

I don't have any info on the M35 but since it uses the same engine as the G35 the tranys maybe identical.

The Dealer has questioned Infiniti several times but has been told there is no "problem" with these gearboxes. I got the impression the Service guy was skeptical. He is still amazed they would have two cars in at the same time with identical problems. (Yup, the M is upshifting hard between 2nd and 3rd too.)

Well, back to my G35 Coupe board; just thought you might want to know.

Roll
    They're replacing mine on Monday in a 2006 M35x with about 15K miles on it. The loaner (a G35)had a perceptable difference on the 2-3 shift vs the others, so I think it is a generic problem. Hopefully, the new one is better!
    I'm not sure, but the heating/cooling MAY be from a peltier diode type component, and not directly from the hvac system. Anyone know for sure?
    Has anyone bought the M's service manual? Retail is about $220 and a cursory search didn't find it for less. While I normally don't do much work on a car, it is nice to understand what it entails and to have a decent wiring diagram to decide if a tweak is possible or desirable.
  • rlejr66rlejr66 Member Posts: 44
    Long overdue follow up on this post that seemed to fall into never never land. I took my '06 M35 Sport in for the 15K service last Friday. When I finally got a chance to look at the receipt last weekend detailing the work that was done, what did I see? I saw that the recall for the ICC was done during this visit. Interesting that I never received any feedback from Infiniti after calling to find out what the deal was back in July '06. I just assumed the recall had been cancelled indefinitely. I guess it wasn't a life threatening thing. Although I would think the correct functionality of the cruise control would be a major safety concern which should have been addressed asap.
  • rollbarrollbar Member Posts: 297
    New tranny is hooked up and I'm back in the seat again. By the way, there is no doubt, the sedan seat is wider than the Coupe. I was comfortable in the sedan but the second I got into the Coupe I felt the pressure of the seat control panel on my right thigh.

Car shifts fine although I thought I picked up a bit of an affirmative bump 2nd to 3rd this morning. We'll see over the next week or two if it's really gone; maybe the new tranny will develop the same problem. Hope not. If anyone can bring out the problems it may be me, (Infiniti may put me on a "Do not sell to" list.) Do Dealers share those lists?

Funny; when I picked up my G35 Coupe the guy with the M45 that had the same problem, (and also just got a new transmission), was standing at the counter going over his invoice for the tranny, ($4,000). We were both covered under warranty of course. He apparently did not know a Coupe was in with the same problem and seemed concerned that we might have the same transmission. Service tech stated they were not identical. I'll bet the differences are not significant; mounting brackets, etc.

The tranny and test results were headed back to Infiniti for analysis by the engineering folks who were interested in trying to sort out the problem Dealer said. I bet so at $4 K a pop.

Roll
  • racer_xracer_x Member Posts: 8
    I don't believe the M uses peltier diode components for heating/cooling the seats. While useful in small footprint applications (such as computer CPU cooling, drink holder cooling, etc), the last time I checked peltier diodes were notoriously inefficient, dissipating a significant amount of heat for only a little cooling, and may not be well-suited when trying to cool the larger surface of a car's bucket seat.

Also, anecdotally, the fact that the seat's cooling/heating is almost perfectly timed to the status of the car's climate system certainly indicates that they are simply capturing heated/cooled air from the climate control system and forcing it through the ventilated seat via a blower. That would also certainly justify the formal name for the system being "Climate Controlled Seats".

Interestingly, if you get the M package with the deluxe rear seats, they are heated using traditional, dedicated electrical heaters. Too bad they didn't elect to combine the best of both worlds and use quick-warming electric seat heaters for winter plus the a/c cooled air for summer.

The "climate controlled seats" do take longer to warm up than the "old fashioned" electric kind, but having access to the ventilated cooled seats in the warm months makes it worthwhile, IMHO. :-)

- Racer_X
  • bw45sportbw45sport Member Posts: 151
    Too bad they didn't elect to combine the best of both worlds and use quick-warming electric seat heaters for winter plus the a/c cooled air for summer.

Amen. Perfectly explained and I agree with your final comment. The concept of using "climate controlled" air really makes sense. Unfortunately, the engineers didn't consider that most people use the heater function to stay warm until the climate control kicks in. Also, many people have begun to use the seat warmers as therapeutic heat rather than a function to keep warm. My girlfriend keeps the seats in her BMW on the high heat setting even during the summer.

Though others on this forum have commented otherwise, I have yet to drive a car with seats that cool as nicely as the M. Other manufacturers merely run fans to reduce sweat on your back... giving the illusion of cooling. The cool air from the climate control system on the M is terrific.
  • s54s54 Member Posts: 29
    Anyone know of an effective and safe polish for the grille of the M? I have a number of spots related to salt or magnesium chloride or whatever they use in Colorado.

Thanks,

S
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    ... Though others on this forum have commented otherwise, I have yet to drive a car with seats that cool as nicely as the M. ...

You really need to experience the Mercedes ventilated seats this Spring/Summer. The M's seats are utter rubbish in comparison, IMO, of course. The beauty of the Mercedes seats is that they are engineered as they should be. They don't force air through the seat, they draw it out. Much more effective at eliminating and preventing sweat and cooling you off.

I've tried the M's seats and didn't care for them at all. It seemed to take forever for any cooling to begin and when it did, it seemed to only be on the seat bottom.
  • bw45sportbw45sport Member Posts: 151
    I have an '03 SL500 and had an E prior to the SL. I also converted a family friend to MB with an S. The ventilated seats function the same way in all three of the cars I've been in. They wick but don't really cool.

I wish the M moved air through the entire seat, but you are correct that air is moved only through the seat bottom and the lumbar region of the seat. Even with this limitation, and with dark graphite seats, I've found the M's seats to much cooler that MB's.
  • clarence10clarence10 Member Posts: 57
    Anybody here of an issue like this?
    I felt some strange shaking in the steering wheel when breaking from the first day that I got it. Thought it might just need to be worked in a bit. After 400 miles, it was still there, so I brought it in.

They said the Rotors had warped and had to be replaced.

Anybody ever here of such an issue?

Anyway, they replaced them, balanced the tires and changed the oil Free of Charge.

Just wanted to get some opinions on this.

Thx
  • clarence10clarence10 Member Posts: 57
    All, Another issue I had, is that the Driver Side window will go Auto down, but not auto up.

I inquired at the dealer, and they said the computer needs to be programmed and I have to bring it back in.

Is it possible to do myself, or does this have to get done at the dealership?

Thx
    After I had some soundproofing installed, the windows weren't reliable in using the one-touch up/down. They told me they had to adjust the limit switches, course it could have been readjusting the computer. If the motor is a stepping motor, that might work with resetting the computer (i.e., telling it it is fully up, then moving things down and telling it the position)...so, I don't know.
  • alanpreston05alanpreston05 Member Posts: 36
    I haven't been on this Board for a while, but I am very interested to see your post about the rough shift from 2nd to 3rd. I have an M35x that does it and I posted a question about this issue a few months back and people seemed to think it was just me. I guess not.

Interestingly, I was part of an Infiniti owner focus group about a year ago and the chief engineer and some specific feature chiefs (sound note, ride) from Japan rode with me in my car. We talked about a lot of things and they taped it. It was pretty cool. Anyway, I asked about the rough upshift from 2nd to 3rd and the Chief engineer said that it does not indicate a problem.

I have just about stopped trying to use the manumatic shift because it is so difficult to get it to shift smoothly. I've tried everything and sometimes I get lucky.

Otherwise, I really love the car (2 years, 27K miles). I have been a little disappointed in my dealership - they are not in the same league as their competitors in this class.

Thanks for the post, I'll keep an eye on it and if it gets worse, now I know that I'm not delusional.
  • knowspinzoneknowspinzone Member Posts: 91
    Go to whambamusa.com. Wham Bam is a metal polish that is unbelievable. I've used it, and its earlier version Bombs Away, for years on my Harleys.

You know the discoloring on the exhaust pipes of a motorcycle right where they attach to the cylinders? Well the first time I saw this product used, the guy said he was going to remove that discoloration. I would have bet him $1000 he couldn't do it. I've used every polish imaginable over the years and never removed that discoloration. Well, he just started rubbing this polish back and forth over the pipes and sure as heck the pipes were restored to practically new condition. The interesting thing is the discoloration doesn't even come back at all, or not as badly.

Since then I've used it to restore discoloration on my pipes and to restore several types of metal (such as a brass heat register) to their original condition. I'm realizing this sounds like a commercial for them. Trust me, I have absolutely no affiliation with this company, but they have a fantastic product.
  • csrmaxcsrmax Member Posts: 9
    FINALLY!!! someone else with the same problem.
    I have a 2007 M45 Sport with 3100 miles on it. I live in the Northeast, and I've noticed in cold weather, the transmission feels VERY rough,(worse in Manual mode between 2nd and 3rd) especially when the car is cold and ascending hills. I've had the vehicle back to the dealer for the problem, and of course, they find nothing wrong!! From your post, it seems that Infiniti is aware a an "issue" but if you could give me an idea for where I should investigate next, I'd greatly appreciate it!!
  • bobicgbobicg Member Posts: 15
    I have this same rubbing sound coming from the right front end . It only occurs at very slow speeds and on a hard right turn. Anyone else have this problem?? It does not seem to have any effect on the steering, braking or tires. I cannot see any wear or rub marks in the wheel well. Could this be a brake related problem, caliper or rotor? 2006 m35X. [email protected]
  • csrmaxcsrmax Member Posts: 9
    Hi,
    I have an 07 M45 Sport with the same issue, usually when the car is cold. Has Infiniti offered any solutions?
    Thanks,
    CSR
  • paulgilberpaulgilber Member Posts: 1
    I have an 06 M35X since September 05 and I have a constant problem with the intelligent cruise control. When working the system is perfect but the issue is for any reason when you are running at 65 mph on the highway the system beep and stop to work creating a very dangerous immediat slowdown, then the system cannot be re :mad: activated. Next day the system work fine! I contacted the dealer, a new software was installed but I still have the same problem. That is very dangerous I almost get hit in the rear when the "intelligent cruise control" stopped to work last week. Do any body experimented the same problem?
  • duker98duker98 Member Posts: 6
    2006 M35x with the same shifting problem (btw 2 and 3, especially when cold) and the tech "reset some settings" but it does not function properly. Will be taking it back in again.
  • max929max929 Member Posts: 16
    I have an '07 M35X with ICC. I have noticed the same tone along with shutting off of the cruise control. It seems to happen when driving into a very bright, low Sun. I have not noticed that happening any other times.
    If you are driving into a morning sunrise or evening sunset it is probably the reason.

I dont have anything else to offer except you can turn it off and back on again and reset it. Not sure if there is a fix.
  • nrwaynenrwayne Member Posts: 45
    As much as I like my M35x, it's got two major problems and one annoyance. The Bluetooth just plain stinks. No matter what I do, people I'm calling complain about the echo. So I had to get an aftermarket Bluetooth speaker to do the job. Pity, since the incoming sound on the built-in Bluetooth is great. Unfortunately, the outgoing part of the equation is essentially unusable. My dealer says "they'll have a fix soon." Doubtful, in my opinion. Second, the transmission needs a higher gear for highway speeds so the engine can run closer to 2,000 rpm. That would mean less wear and tear on the engine and a nice bump up in gas mileage. I get 23-24 now on the road and think higher gearing could easily push that up 10% or more. Third, the gas cap holder is a hit or miss proposition. A slight modification of the holder would hold the cap securely and eliminate the occasional pop out when you're filling up. This problem, however, is minor compared to the first two.
  • blov8rblov8r Member Posts: 567
    I don't find the same issues w/ my M35's Bluetooth ... although I don't use it a great deal and perhaps if I were to use it more I would receive the same complaints.

Absolutely agree about the transmission gearing ... my old Caddy got me 28 mpg on the highway so a 5th or even 6th highway gear could push the M to ~ 30 mpg.

Nit-picking (as is the gas cap holder) they MUSY ventilate the eyeglass compartment. Glasses stored in there become unwearable in the desert heat. My wife's Lexus has a very similar compartment, but ventilated ... no problem there.

Some things big, some little; all readily fixable IMO. Bart :shades:
  • spaceguy1spaceguy1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2-month old 2007 M35 that has a loud rattling noise in the rear end when the car is shifted into reverse after a period of rest. We've only noticed it in backing out of our garage (so it may not be limited to going in reverse), but it sounds like something is trying to catch for a couple of seconds, and then it disappears. The noise is loud enough that anyone that hears it comments about it. If you shift back to drive and then into reverse, or park for a brief period of time, it doesn't come back. Anyone else heard this?
    Haven't had the problem w/ my M35 and have been on this thread for two years and not heard this from anyone else. Back to the shop for a fix! My M has been in for oil changes only ... not a single "fix" needed. The best deal in town. Oil change, filter, full check-up + a thorough cleaning inside and out ... for $37.95! :shades: :) Bart
  • nycdudenycdude Member Posts: 33
    After 17 months and 15,000 miles, I just had my first non-routine maintenance problem. The driver's seat made a severe grinding noise when moved forward, and a ball bearing was found on the floor. The excellent service department had the necessary part over-nighted and got the car back to me within 24 hours. The service rep said that the seat track had "failed," a so-far unheard-of problem. The repair was covered by warranty, of course. Has anyone else on this thread had such an experience?
    Hello -

No fix as far as I know. I'm taking my M35x in for its 30,000 mile service in month or so and I will ask about it. I can live with it so long as it's not damaging the transmission, but all the rest of the shifts work well in manu-mode. If I get any valuable info I'll post it.

Alan
    My '06 M35x has an irritating popping/clicking noise in what seems to be the roof in the rear section of the car. Strangely, it ONLY happens when the car has been parked and warmed by the sun and then only in maneuvers that would cause the car to slightly "flex" (turns at an intersection or in a parking lot for example). Once I drive for a while it stops! I've looked everywhere around the car to see if something is loose, rolling around in the trunk, etc. but no luck.

Anyone else experience this?

Thanks,

Alan
    Sounds like it could be the fit of the rear window with the roof frame.
    I wouldn't consider that a "problem"; I'd consider it a nuisance. Man made stuff breaks ... it's as simple as that. If lots of seats were doing that it would be an issue ... albeit a minor one. Bart :shades:
  • kiwikkiwik Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2006 M35X(journey pack.) that I bought when they first came out in 2005. Absolutely love it - right now it has approximately 12K miles on it and the problems are starting - car will not start. This began about 1 month ago....I noticed the clock in the console was losing time. Dealer replaced it. About a week later I am in a mall and car will not start. I called RoadSide Service and they started it right away with a battery charger. I immediately drove it to Infiniti and they could not find any problem with it, battery was fine - so I left. Earlier this week I noticed new clock was losing time again. Sure enough a few days later, when car was in my garage - it would not start. I did a Google serach which led me to this web site and your Nov. posting. I did not realize that you could try the car again after about 20 minutes and it would start. After I read your posting, I went to the garage, tried it and sure enough it started up. Today, I was downtown in a major city for lunch, went back to my car and once again car would not start - called RoadSide Assistance. But before they got there, I tried it again and sure enough it started right up. I did hear a noise in the console that sounded like the DVD player was trying to access a DVD. I do have DVDs in there, but never use it as I listen to the satellite radio all the time. Drove it to the dealer and now a I have a loaner car for a few days. Dealer is supposed to pull the entire console apart which I am not crazy about, but have no choice. Did you ever get your problem resolved? Please advise - thanks.
    Oops. I meant to say CD player not DVD player.
    When you say the car will not start, do you mean the engine turns over but will not start, or when you push the start button, nothing happens? From your description of the slow clock and something (CD player?) running while the car is shut off, it sounds like you may have some drain on your battery. Does the battery have a separate emergency reserve?
    What I mean is that nothing happens when I hit the start button. Engine does not turn over. When the problem first started occurring, I heard just a little pop sound and that was it. However, this past week after it would not start, a few minutes later as I was sitting in the car calling Roadside Service, I heard a churning sound as if it was trying to access a CD (I mistakenly said DVD in my write up) then the sound stopped. It was very hot inside the car so I stepped outside and then rentered the car from the passenger side about 10 minutes later. All of a sudden the churning started again trying to access a CD and then stopped. Dealer has no idea what is wrong with the car. Wanted to return the car to me on Friday and I said NO WAY! Something is definitely wrong with the car. I did some more on-line research and found out that an Infiniti consumer alert was issued in Nov. 2005 on the M35's saying there was a major electrical problem in the console. I purchased my 2006 model in Aug. 2005 when they first came out so I assume mine could be affected. I relayed this to the dealer Friday afternoon and they wanted to keep the car over the weekend to check out the electrical wires near the steering wheel. Then they wanted to allow the car to go into "sleep mode" for 6 hours and start it up on Monday morning. They did check the battery out twice and claim there is nothing wrong with the battery. I am not sure if the battery has an emergency reserve?? but its the original battery that came with the car.
    Sometimes when there is not a good connection between the battery and the cables, not enough power is available to start the engine yet still allow other electrical items to operate. This can be a sporadic occurence, the engine starts one time and not the next. I wouldn't expect this would happen on such a new car, but I'd suggest they disconnect the cables and clean them and the battery posts.
    That is exactly what happened - they cleaned the cables and tightened them - they said there was a loose ground wire. I have had the car back 5 days and its working perfectly!! Thanks so much for you input.
    I was almost hesitant to suggest that as the problem since as I said you would not expect that in a new car. I'm glad it was a quick and easy fix for you.

My charge for the advice is a nominal $100. You can pay by money order or PayPal, but please NO personal checks, I don't even know you! :D:D:D:D