Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti M35/M45 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• 03_m4503_m45 Member Posts: 1
    unfortunately I'm not in the big leagues with the 2006 of 2007 M's but I do have a 2003 M45 that I am fed up with. I have a similary problem with my steering as well, I've been told that it was my tires, but mind you I already have brand new tires on it and it still seems as though when it gets in rut it wants to follow the rut instead steering straight and Ive been wondering could it be bushing or something wrong with the steering column and based on what I've been reading it might be the steering rack or column.

Does any one have any other ideas of what could be causing this? I have new tires and have gotten an alignment..
  • tmartin63tmartin63 Member Posts: 19
    While the vehicle is moving I can usually get the nav system to work using voice commands. I agree with the headlights not turning on timely and people have complained to me about the bluetooth echo.

I really like the voice command system in the M, but it is cumbersome to use. I see Microsoft is putting a voice command system in Fords (Fords!) that I think is called Synch. You've probably seen the amusing commercials on TV. Maybe this idea will catch on. I can hope that M/S or its competitors will create a Synch-lik product for other car makes.
  • acrockettacrockett Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know what this problem could be? My car is making a noise when turning slowly (or sharply?) to the right. The dealership says it is not a problem, that it is the ABS.
  • dhellerdheller Member Posts: 28
    Regarding the Nav lockup, there is a TSB and software update for this as it is a known problem. The tire problem is a known one too -- best suggestion from Infiniti is to " buy new tires...". One would think that they would be a little concerned about these tires...
  • dhellerdheller Member Posts: 28
    Did you ever get any improvement in your AC system? The dealer comments you were given is nothing short of lame. No car manufacturer in their right mind would pump 105 degree air into the cabin.

My "M" has horrible temperature control in the cabin. It seems to be way off in measuring the outside air and comparing to the inside air.
  • j21mj21m Member Posts: 22
    What a ripoff....I had my tires rotated at a local reputable repair facility...now the Tire pressure monitors on the nav shows "***" for pressure. I called my local dealer and they said I have to come in and have the system recalibrated, at a cost of about $50.00.....what happened to the days when you could have your car serviced anywhere??? I think this is unfair!!!
  • alanpreston05alanpreston05 Member Posts: 36
    Don't pay it! That just about always happens when I have mine rotated ('06 M35x) and all I have to do is drive it for 10 miles or so and they recalibrate automatically. This has happened a few times and the Infiniti dealer has always told me to just drive it to get them to reset.
  • james27james27 Member Posts: 433
    I was told that some of the Infiniti TP sensors will self-adjust to their new location, but those on the M-series won't. I'm pretty sure that the first time I swapped between my summer and winter tires I drove to work a few times - that's about 20-miles each way. They didn't adjust. My dealer does it for free.
    You are correct...I wrote Nissan and complained about their "$50.00" reply....Let' s see what happens.

Thanks
  • cire2cire2 Member Posts: 1
    As a former BMW owner, I'm looking to get away from the German sedans. Not wanting to jump in over my head, I'm pricing 2006 M35's so I can get a feel for this sedan. Recently I came across a 2006 M35x with over 100k miles. I'm told it was all highway miles by a salesman and the price is very attractive. Seems like a very affordable way to get into one of these sedan's, but not sure about the 100k+ miles. What would you suggest? Is it too risky to get a 2006 model with that many miles on it? What is the life expectancy (miles) of an M class Infiniti?
  • ghstudioghstudio Member Posts: 972
    It's pretty much the same engine as in the 350z and maxima but with different gearing.....so that should help your research. it's pretty hard to put 100k non highway miles on a car...so I guess I'd believe him. Having said that, the M35 is a high reving engine at highway speeds and that will effect longevity. I'm not sure that highway miles matters.....
    How was the rotation done? I always do front to rear. I never cross rotate (i.e. rt rear to lt front, etc) which means you change the direction of rotation. I'm only guessing here, but cross rotation could impact the sensors' ability to function.

l find the mechanics are split about 50/50 on which is the "best" way to rotate tires. From 30 yrs personal experience, I've always done front to rear/rear to front and suffered only 2 blowouts and no uneven tirewear. Who knows why blowouts happen? They could have been caused by a hundered different things, rotation patters being one. So be sceptical if a mechanic shop tells you there is only one correct way to rotate. And I wouldn't pay the $50 either. Isn't the TPM system under warranty? The should fix for free.
  • barryendbarryend Member Posts: 121
    There was a great auto journalist in Popular Mechanics when I was a young lad. He said the best way to rotate tires was to put it in Drive and step on the accelerator.
  • osbornkgosbornkg Member Posts: 30
    I have had two 2007 M-35’s one I purchased in Nov. 06 and totaled it in May of 07.The car had 10k miles on it and the tires were rotated twice. I purchased a new 2007 in May of 2007. This 2007 was just like the first 2007 in every detail. This car has run for 15K and the tires have been rotated 3 times. I rotate every 5000 miles.

I have had both cars’ tires rotated at Discount Tire Company. They rotated your tires free of charge. I have always cross rotated rear tires to the front and bring the front tires to the rear. This is against what Infiniti recommends – this is just what I have done on every car I have ever owned. If you tires are directional then you will need to rear/front rotate.

With both cars, the sensors would reset after driving a number of miles. Never had a need to return either car to a dealer. That is not to say there are bad sensors out there, however, Infiniti is still manufactured in Japan with a high degree of quality built in.
    I have driven probably 200 miles..and no reset!
    I bought new tires at Mavis Discount Tire. They offered to reset the sensors for free. They reset on their own in a few days. 200 miles sound too long.
  • crr14crr14 Member Posts: 2
    See Post #842. I had the same problem and was first told it was normal and nothing could be done. I brought in this post and was persistent. Service manager finally admitted that this service didn't always work and wasn't factory authorized. They did the service in January and the noise has not returned.
    Steering wheel and column
    Parts
    Gear & linkage - 49001-EH11A
    Power steering fluid - 999MP-AG000P
    This week service manager told me that this service is now factory authorized fix.
    Be persistent - this is a great car.
  • crr14crr14 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for your post. I had this problem and was told that nothing was wrong the noise was normal. I persisted and brought in your post. The service manager finally admitted that this service didn't always work, so it was not factory authorized. They agreed to do the service (gear and linkage and power steering fluid) in January. The noise has not returned. This week the service manager told me this service is now factory authorized for this problem.
    Thanks for your help, this is a great car.
  • walounkwalounk Member Posts: 6
    I also have this problem, initially it happened only when the car is cold,the dealer replaced the steering gear, the noise got worse, now it happens everytime I make a right turn, I am so sick of going to the dealer back and forth, I also had to replace the tires with only 6500 miles just to have a better ride, there is only one thing I know for sure, this going to be my first and last Infiniti.
    2007 M35X
  • art234art234 Member Posts: 99
    I brought the car back to the dealer for the umpteenth time for the vibration problem (rumbling vibration throughout the car and especially wheel and pedals). I also had the steering issue. They did the steering rack, and they replaced the tires with Michelins-with 27K miles on the tires, Infiniti could see I was complaining about tramlining since I got the car, so they did pay half for the tires.

But the vibration between 45 and 65 is still there. It's so bad that the rear deck resonates at 65 under certain temperature conditions. At 50, light acceleration creates a rumble (like driving on a road with horizontal grooves). They changed the rear differential already but this did not solve the problem, it actually made it worse.

Any ideas?
  • fjd3fjd3 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought my '08 M45X with tech package $1,000 under invoice thanks to the conquest program. financed it at 1.9%--feeling like I did really well until the dealership spring this whole prepaid maintenance offer. I know better. Against my better judgement, decided to do it. Now, I have buyer's remorse. :lemon: Normally, if you follow infiniti's recommended maintenance schedule over 60k miles it adds up to a little over $4,000 (this include belt changes, new filters, blades, tire rotations, oil changes, other fluid changes, etc, etc). Anyway, the cost of the premium prepaid is normally $2800 or something like that. they offered it to me, supposedly at their cost, $2200 (i was able to add it into financing which helped) because I know the owner of the dealership. covers ALL scheduled maintenance for 4 years, 60K miles. this seem reasonable? thanks fjd
  • walt18walt18 Member Posts: 54
    That sounds like a great deal. God bless
  • ryoderryoder Member Posts: 1
    Just had my 30,000 mile service on my m35x and the cost was $750. I could not believe it. I just did it as I did not have time for further investigation. This is a very high price in the new car age. Anyone else checked out costs?
    What did they really do? Check things that don't need checking or even do nothing? Giving a dealer carte blanch for a service is a blank check. My gas station can change all the filters and lube for under $200.00. Tire shop can check alignment. Tell the dealer to only do warranty work or fix a price in advance for service before signing the service order. Don't be a sucker. If they give you attitude take a walk and they will chase you out the door. Japanese cars are practically maintenance free anyway. I don't know why they don't use synthetic oil like my wife's Audi. 15,000 mile oil changes only. Probably to get you in the door more often to sell service you don't need.
  • james27james27 Member Posts: 433
    For the last year, I've had Mobil 1 in my car. I had the oil tested at approximately 4K, 8K, and 11K. At 11K, they said I should change it...it was still okay, but nearing the end of its life. The filter (also a Mobil 1 product) was still showing zero particles in the oil. So, depending on how you drive, you are likely to get through at least double the oil change intervals recommended if you use this product. Mobil says 12K or 1-year, whichever comes first, and it would have been about both for me.
    Very interesting. I used Mobil 1 in my 1979 Chevy Caprice when it was introduced. It helped the car start during VT ski trips. I have read it is now an entry level synthetic and there are much better ones. I have 6 months left on my lease so it is academic to my situation. If I owned an M I would try a high end synthetic or follow the service interval. I would be concerned about my warranty also.
    All the dealers have a "fixed price" for each of the service intervals. This is one of the highest profit items in the entire dealership because they do almost no real work...they look around and one mechanic can do 4 or 5 six hour "fixed maintenance" deals in one day...after all you pay by the book rate/fixed rate not the actual time taken.

My advice, which I follow rigorously, is to look at what the manufacturer recommends changing or replacing and I get that done. I don't do any of the inspect and adjust if necessary's. You will save a great deal of money doing just what's really needed instead of taking the prepackaged profit packages.
  • njm35njm35 Member Posts: 7
    Yeah the dealers are crazy with their prices. I stopped taking my car to the dealer and just took it to my local mechanic. It was a fraction of the price! What are they going to do send the car cops after you....
    I finally hit my boiling point with infiniti over the entire steering problem and the noise issue. I contacted corporate and started to complain. First round they gave me a massive $300 service credit. Well thats great, it should cover an oil change. Called again and complained.and told them to take the car back. They are giving me an early termination out with a consideration becaues of the front end problems. I should get it this week and i will share it with everyone who has this problem.
    If it sucks, i am really thinking that M35/45 owners need to band together to fight them on this issue. This is a safty issue that they have been screwing around with for way too long and screwing with all of us.
    Here is a suggestion. Here is a link for various Inifiniti mileage kits. These kits have the major parts needed for that mileage. Most GOOD auto repair shops can install these kits. Also, I run AMSOIL oil in my M35. This oil is the best. I have been running this oil for years and now only change once a year or 25,000 miles which is there warranty period. AMSOIL now has a oil filter that runs the same mileage or time. Their web site is: amsoil.com

Wishing you well in the future with your Infiniti - there great cars.
    http://www.infiniti-parts.com/service.php?id=25&model=&cat=servicekits&name=M35/- 45%20Premium%20Service%20Kits
    My dealer wants $750 for the 30k maintenance. My M35 just hit 20k so I have a while to decide if I want to give them $750 for about $200 worth of work. Oil the hinges? Please. Wouldn't a squeaky hinge be covered under warranty? I paid them $340 for the 15k maintenance and they did not even do everything Infiniti recommends at 15k (e.g. did not change the wiper blades). I also let them talk me into a $99 front end alignment I probably didn't need. I know it's my fault and I should have told them where to stick it. Which is what I'll prob do when I get to 30k. I just need to find a reputable shop that won't screw the car up.

As for oil, my owners manual specifically states NOT to use synthetic. I don't know why and don't really care - an oil change at the dealer is only $35 which is about 1/3 the cost of synthetic.
    Go to the dealer and get the oil changed...with no additives. When they show you the dirty air filter, tell them it's fine :) Get the tires rotated and rebalanced at a reputable tire shop (that tightens the lug nuts by hand...important if you don't want warped brake rotors). Stand back about 15 feet from the car and look it over...you have now done most everything else in the 30K package.

And don't worry about those wipers they didn't change. You really should change them when needed, not on any mileage/time schedule.
    I am persoanlly fed up with infiniti and the continued problems with the streering on the car. I have had several coversations with infiniti and their solution has been to give me a $300 service credit and then offer to get me out of the car for a small amount, that small amount turned out to be $8K!

At this time i am proposing to join together with all other M35/45 owners that have had or are having problems with the steering on their car. If we act together we might be able to get further.

If you are interested please email me at the email below with the subect of "M35 action". Please include your contact info in the email. If i can get enough people interested i will see how we can act.

wtschafer@hotmail.com

Thanks
  • mdugganmduggan Member Posts: 1
    I am having this same problem. My phone and car's bluetooth worked fine for about a month and then quit working. Have you found any solution to the problem yet? Have you been able to reconnect your phone to the car as you did originally to get it to work for another month? Thanks.
    I have a 2006 M35X. Last January my steering rack was replaced and I replaced the OEM POS Goodyear GT-A's and it is fine.

My problem is wandering all over the road and dangerously loose feel.

Maybe try a better dealer. Where are you located? What year & model and what symptom?
    FYI, we don't own a Blackberry but have now owned 2, 2007 M35's with bluetooth and never was there a problem with our cell phones connecting to Infiniti's bluetooth month after month. The bluetooth in both cars performed beauitfully.
    when I took the car for service last time I mentioned the noise problem AGAIN , the service manager told me that Infiniti is aware of the problem but they don't have a fix for it and that the engineers are working on it, that was almost 2 months ago.
    they replaced the steering gear 4-5 months ago but that did not help.
    I am really frustrated, the noise is really annoying and imbarressing if you have somebody riding with you, I can't believe how they can't fix it, any suggestions?
  • bobicgbobicg Member Posts: 15
    All,

I had my 06 M35x into the Cincinnati Infiniti dealer on 11/9 to fix this problem.

Here is what was done and it worked:

Gear & linkage - 49001-EH11A
    Power steering fluid - 999MP-AG000P

Check my other posts for more details, basically on slow right turns it made a rubbing/creaking sound especially at slow speeds when cold.
    I had exactly the same job done on my 07M35X but it did not work, it actually made it worse!, and yes this is the same noise that I have.
  • bnkbnk Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2007 M45 Sport, which I love. The only problem is an intermittent low-pitched whine during acceleration, typically from a stop or going uphill. It is hard to locate, but generally seems to be coming from the rear of the car. It will happen a couple of times during my 45-minute commute. I'm taking it to the dealer soon, but I'm concerned that they won't be able to duplicate the noise. Anyone encounter this or have any suggestions? Thanks.
    If I were to guess, it sounds like the fuel pump which sits in the gas tank is causing the noise. Let me know if I'm right....

Intermittent problems are very difficult to pinpoint. If it is the fuel pump, it will just get worse over time until one day in the middle of the night in the middle of nowhere in a drenching rainstorm, it will fail. Of course, well before that happens, you will be able to demo the sound to your dealer.
    Thanks. I was assuming the noise was coming from somewhere in the drive train, but if I can localize it at all, it does seem to be from the right rear, which is the gas tank location. Will let you know.
    Took it to the dealer and they couldn't duplicate the noise. Of course now it's back, so we'll see.
    Go back to the dealer and advise them that Infiniti wants to meet your expectations and if they should hesitate, advise them you will write a review to all the magazines that rate Infiniti M the, “Highest Ranked Midsize Premium in Initial Quality.” J.D. Power and Associates. If they suggest not being able to match the color w/ one front seat have them put in two front seats!

Taken off Infiniti’s website. - Reviews - Awards - Commercials

Infiniti M Receives Initial Quality Award from J.D. Power and Associates
    read more Read More
    Awards

Infiniti Wins ALG 2008 Luxury Brand Residual Value Award
    read more Read More Awards

Ward's 10 Best Engines for 14th Straight Year read more Read More
    Awards

Owners Rate Infiniti #1 in Vehicle Satisfaction read more Read More
    Awards

M Wins Popular Mechanics' Automotive Excellence Awards read more Read More
    Awards

2006 Infiniti M Named BEST LUXURY SEDAN in MotorWeek's Drivers' Choice Awards read more Read More
    Awards

2006 Infiniti M Safety Ratings read more Read More
    Awards

2006 M Wins Top 10 Best Resale Value Award
    read more Read More

Driver's Car (32 sec)
    read more View Commercial
    /flash/flv/NOMN1066_V8allWheelDrive_M.flv
    Commercials

Driver's Car (32 sec)
    read more View Commercial
    Infiniti M Receives Initial Quality Award from J.D. Power and Associates

Awards

The J.D. Power and Associates 2008 Initial Quality StudySM has named the Infiniti M the "Highest Ranked Midsize Premium Car in Initial Quality in a Tie"[1]. The study is the industry benchmark for new-vehicle quality measured at 90 days of ownership.

To view the TV commercial, click the Commercials tab to the right.

[1] Infiniti M received the lowest number of problems per 100 vehicles among midsize premium cars in a tie in the proprietary J.D. Power and Associates 2008 Initial Quality StudySM. Study based on responses from 81,530 new-vehicle owners, measuring 344 models and measures opinions after 90 days of ownership. Proprietary study results are based on experiences and perceptions of owners surveyed in February-April 2008. Your experiences may vary. Visit jdpower.com.
    Infiniti Wins ALG 2008 Luxury Brand Residual Value Award

Awards

Automotive Lease Guide (ALG), the standard for Residual Value projections in North America, has honored Infiniti with its ALG 2008 Luxury Brand Residual Value Award – recognizing Infiniti as the luxury brand forecasted to hold its value better than any other[1].

[1] Based on Automotive Lease Guide's (ALG) 2008 Luxury Brand Residual Value Award. Award based upon projected residual value of MY08 vehicles. ALG uses an econometric model to predict residual value and considers many factors including pricing (including MSRP), incentives, vehicle characteristics, market trends, sales strategies and economic variables. For more information about the ALG Residual Value Awards, see www.alg.com. Always wear your seat belt, and please don’t drink and drive. INFINITI, the INFINITI logo and INFINITI model names are Nissan trademarks. ©2007 INFINITI Division of Nissan North America, Inc.
    Ward's 10 Best Engines for 14th Straight Year

Awards

Hailed as the "all-conquering VQ V-6," the Infiniti M35’s VQ-series V6 has been named one of Ward's 10 Best Engines every year they’ve awarded it. 2008 marks an unprecedented 14th year in a row[1].

[1] January 2008, Wardsauto.com.
    Owners Rate Infiniti #1 in Vehicle Satisfaction

Awards

Infiniti owners are the most satisfied with their vehicles over buyers of any other luxury brand, according to the 2007 vehicle satisfaction data collected by AutoPacific, whose survey objectively measures many aspects of vehicle ownership, including vehicle operation, comfort, safety and overall purchase/dealership experience.[1]

[1] ©2007 AutoPacific, Inc. Vehicle Satisfaction Award.
    M Wins Popular Mechanics' Automotive Excellence Awards

Awards

In their October 2005 issue, Popular Mechanics selected the 2006 Infiniti M35 and M45 as winners of their Automotive Excellence Award in the Luxury category. They cited the M's abundant technology and luxury options delivering an array of amenities and personal conveniences, and a build quality that's good enough to embarrass some well-known, old-school European luxury makers.
    2006 Infiniti M Named BEST LUXURY SEDAN in MotorWeek's Drivers' Choice Awards

Awards

A team of 15 judges evaluated more than 150 cars and trucks, focusing on key features of superior performance, technology, practicality and dollar value, resulting in the Infiniti M being named "2006 Best Luxury Sedan." Awarded by MotorWeek, the original automotive magazine series on television, this announcement was part of the 14th Drivers' Choice Awards.
    2006 Infiniti M Safety Ratings

Awards

The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) rated the 2006 M 'Good' - the highest of the Institute's four rating categories - in both the side-impact and 40-mph frontal offset crash tests.
    2006 M Wins Top 10 Best Resale Value Award

Awards

This year, Kelley Blue Book's KBB.com placed the Infiniti M among their 2006 Best Resale Value Top 10, along with the Infiniti G Coupe. Aside from these two prestigious awards, Infiniti also won Best Resale Value Awards in the Coupe and Luxury classes.
    /flash/flv/video_player.swf
    /flash/flv/NOCB1229_jdpower.flv

Reviews
    The Infiniti M45 still glows after a year with AUTOMOBILE Magazine.

AUTOMOBILE Magazine, August 2007
    Infiniti M retains crown in Car and Driver Comparison Test for 2006.

Car and Driver, November 2006
    read more Download the Car and Driver Comparison Test - 5M pdf
    Infiniti M retains crown in Car and Driver Comparison Test for 2006.

Car and Driver, November 2006
    read more Download the Car and Driver Comparison Test - 5M pdf
    "This M45 isn't just better than the car it replaces, it's arguably in the top three in its class."
    You appear to be responding to a post made in 2005. I doubt the poster really cares about your thoughts now that we are in 2008.
  • art234art234 Member Posts: 99
    Here is the latest update on my problem. I had the car back several times for the vibration problem. The dealer has tried to be very helpful but they could not identify.
    They arranged for the district technical specialist to drive the car, which he did three weeks ago.

They have since replaced the transmission, the front and rear drive shafts, with no success. About 45 mph the vibration starts, and it is very pronounced between 50 and 60, particularly on light to moderate acceleration. The rear deck resonates at around 65 when cold, and now there is a constant hum or rumble above 70.

The vibration is particularly noticeable now on deceleration or gliding, and I even tried putting the car in neutral to decelerate and the problem remained.

Again--the tires have been replaced, which corrected the tramlining issue, but this problem appears to be getting worse.

Infiniti has refused to take me out of the lease, although they did agree to reimburse the tires plus a couple of other incentives.

The problem is distracting to me and sad that they cannot fix it. Except for this I love the car....but would NEVER get another Infiniti.

Thoughts??? I really need some advice here.
    Invoke the Lemon Law...that will get their attention quickly.
  • 442w30442w30 Member Posts: 2
    Hello all, new to the site and have a quick question. I am purchasing a 2006 M35 with 25k on it. Is the warrenty 4/60 bumper to bumper or is that just the drive train?
    Thanks for you response.
  • dulfelderdulfelder Member Posts: 10
    bumper to bumper :)
  • bcorig1bcorig1 Member Posts: 3
    I almost put 25K on my M35 in the first year. You will LOVE this car.