Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Ridgeline Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• gearhead1gearhead1 Member Posts: 408
    Anybody heard about this???????????????

Yep, read the whole thread geo. He bought it damaged off of e-bay. it was obviously in a previous accident. He admits there is over spray on the frame indicating a rpair job. unfortunatly someone took advantage of him. They foisted a wrecked truck on him.
  • geo9geo9 Member Posts: 735
    Tolbert posts it has a CLEAN carfax............
    Still waiting for him to post underbody pics.

Did you note that ScottIn, hipsi, whaleya, and mikerl'n
    also have the body flex issues?
  • m4mulveym4mulvey Member Posts: 11
    All doors on my RL close better than on my Mercedes.

I also had the roofracks and running boards (side steps) installed. Rack adds a slight extra noise at high speed but nothing worth complaining about and certainly no need to crank up stereo volume. I have heard that most rack noise is due to cross bars being installed backwards - you may want to check yours. I'd also make sure that the eyes at the front of each crossbar mount are turned so that the hole points down to the roof - less turbulence that way.
    which should further reduce any noise.

Dealer accessory pricing is a crap-shoot - I got widely-varying prices on every accessory.

IF they repair the dent properly there should be no consequential damage. Check carefully. I had a few minor scratches after my accessories were installed - made sure that everything was corrected.

Only problem I now have with the vehicle is that my wife and kids love it so much they want to drive it all the time.
  • m4mulveym4mulvey Member Posts: 11
    After having backup sensors installed, I got the same noise - Tracked it down to the back panel of the roof (plastic - has to be removed to run backup sensor cables). Dealer secured it properly and has not made any noises since.
  • danielacostadanielacosta Member Posts: 132
    The GAS WAR post is an old urban legend (i.e., NOT TRUE).
    link title
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    ...use the forums for email forwards. As pointed out, most are urban legends or just plain spam. Thanks!

kcram - Pickups Host
  • frn2allfrn2all Member Posts: 1
    Unfortunately I got my ridgeline 24 days ago so I am not much better to compare with but I will tell you that I am gettting crappy mileage. I have been getting 10-12 MPG over a full tank.

Does anyone know how to get better mileage?

• chaddo_kailuachaddo_kailua Member Posts: 12
    Aloha, Thank you for your response, I appretiate your comments. I did try disabling the VSA and while the vehicle doesn't jerk forward it also doesn't respond well to accelerating after slowing down. I have to take my Ridgeline in to the dealer to replace the plastic pieces along the top of the bed and around the rear windoe because they were installed improperly and I will talk to them and see if there is some way to get the transmission to shift without hesitating. Seems a little unsetteling that I have to disengage the safety feature and manipulate the accelerator to drive, I am not real happy about that to say the least but I love the Ridgeline otherwise. I have had lots of fun in the mud and sand and have not been able to get the vehicle stuck, that's nice! Thanks again, Aloha
    Aloha, I was getting around 17 miles per gallon when I got my truck and then the state of Hawai'i started putting ethenol in the fuel (10%) and my milage has gone down considerably. I don't know if that helps but it is just something I noticed. We are paying $ 3.20 per gallon for regular today and that hurts, espetially with decreased milage
    Interesting, I suppose with any new model there will be some problems. I think you are correct because as I recall the mechanic told me that when I took my truck in. They hooked up the computer to the transmission and tested it twice. They told me the truck is shifting "OK". Interesting technology, hopefully they can work out the quirks. Mahalo, aloha
  • hairballhairball Member Posts: 4
    I've owned V8 Chevrolets for 30 years and this is my first V6. The hesitation is driving me crazy but I got the same answer at the dealership...shut off the safety system and it should help. When I do this I have noticed no real difference. I still get hesitation, especially noticable as I go around corners. My wife's V6 4runner does not have this problem. I love my Ridgeline otherwise.
  • lem888lem888 Member Posts: 7
    Anyone out there have a problem with a grinding noise from the ABS? I have a fairly steep driveway and when I brake at the bottom while driving forwards and downwards, I get an awful grinding noise from the left front wheel.

I've had two dealers look at it and waited 3 weeks to get a response from the regional "customer service" hack. When we (the dealer tech and I) disconnected the ABS fuse, the noise went away - along with the ABS. Their solution? Live with it.

I'm very disappointed with the quality of this Honda. I had an F-150 prior to this and never had problems like this (or any problems, for that matter), but don't write me off as one of the "buy America, dammit" rednecks that seem to be lurking out there - my wife drives an Odyssey and we're both happy with it. I want to love this truck/car/SUT/whatever it is, but dealer service is mediocre at best and the attitude that I should just live with a very loud grinding noise is arrogant.

If anyone else has had similar problems, I'd like to hear.

P.S. - I have the annoying hesitation problem as well. It is especially apparent when turning right after slowing and when you are trying to accelerate and merge - say into moving traffic.
  • master1master1 Member Posts: 340
    Call American Honda.
    The number is (800) 999 - 1009.
    Turning off the ABS is a HORRIBLE IDEA. :surprise: Tell Honda that the dealer turned off your ABS. Call them, they will solve your car's problem.

Let us know on their response. Good luck ;)
  • whaleyawhaleya Member Posts: 28
    The hesitation when turning is because the transmission logic doesn't downshift properly when turning. The idea is that if you are turning you will than accelerate thus it holds the gear. The logic of looking at steering input is interesting but the computer holds the gear too long.

I see no reason why Honda can't issue an upgrade to the transmission firmware to alter the hold thresholds

On the differnt subject of body flex. TO follow up with a past post, I have looked _very_ closely at the area where the sheetmetal is slightly warped (near my gas flap) and I beleive 100% that the problem was with the stamping of the panel and not body flexing issues.
  • 5553543255535432 Member Posts: 150
    Host,

Host or any Ridgeowners here, experiencing rattles on the front seat passenger side.On very smooth roads it can't be heard, but on roads a bit rough I can hear two kinds of rattle one low pitch rattle and one squeaking sound. Got them around 18,000 miles on my Ridgeline. It is driving me nuts.At one time after the delearship can't remedy it I almost traded it in even at a huge lost for a Civic, but backpedaled when I realized the civic is a new design and may have issues worse than my rattles when it reaches 18000 miles.
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    After 18,000 miles, concerned enough to consider trading 'at a huge loss' over a rattle and a squeak when driving on roads 'a bit rough'.

And some people call me picky....

Remember, this is a truck. On a smooth road, a Ridgeline is very smooth. When I drive on not-so-smooth roads, I know I'm driving a truck.
  • maddog13maddog13 Member Posts: 5
    I bought my RL in May 2005, drove it for 14,000 miles through a Utah winter with no problems. Then, we got 2 weeks of rain this March and it soaked every inch of my carpet before I noticed it. Having been through the fall and winter with no problems, I figured I my truck didn't have the defect so I didn't check the carpet until I noticed a mildewy smell. The rubber floor mats, which I love, helped to hide the problem.

As it turns out, the carpet and pad were ruined, so they had to rip out the whole interior. Then, in process, they noticed some dashboard padding got wet so they ripped out the whole dash and replaced all the padding there too. It took 6 days, but I got the truck back with no smell. All because of that little drain plug in the right front wheelwell.

After getting it back, I noticed that a piece of the leather in the interior was torn and the bed was badly scratched (where they put the seats while recarpeting). The dealer repainted the bed and replaced the leather trim piece with no questions asked. Unfortunately, my truck is now famous at the dealer, and not in a good way.

I was impressed with how the dealer stood behind the product, especially since I bought it in Denver but service it in SLC. But on the other hand, they aren't too happy to see me anymore when I bring my truck in.

Unsolicited opinions:

All in all, I love the design of the truck and have no complaints about any of the mechanical features. But, as this is my first Honda ever, I am disappointed with the lack of attention to detail. My 2001 Chevy Suburban was initially problem free and had better thought-out interior features (BOTH front seats are powered, the auto temperature setting actually works quickly, etc.)

Had Honda issued a RECALL on the water leak, a lot of trucks would not have needed costly and time-consuming repairs. Mine isn't the only truck that needed new carpet this spring from the dealer I use. I shouldn't HAVE to read this board to find out what is potentially wrong with my brand new $30,000 truck, IMHO.

The moral of the story: touch the carpet under the right front floormat with a dry tissue after each rainstorm just in case. ;)
  • norcalmike53norcalmike53 Member Posts: 2
    Hi folks,

Thanks for allowing me to follow this forum to get a heads up on any Ridgeline problems. I bought a new RTS two days ago. I was checking out all the hardware under the car and noticed a small amount of fresh oil on the bottom of my front transaxle. I'm not sure if it's an oil leak or some residual oil from the manufacturing process. Also, the number "10424" has been written on the transaxle with a black magic marker. Has anybody had any oil leak problems? Does anyone know what the numbers written on the transaxle mean? Thanks for any reply.
  • silvercoupesilvercoupe Member Posts: 326
    I just had to add 1 quart of oil to my new Ridgeline at 4,500 miles. Is this usual for the break-in period for this engine?

I have owned 5 Accords (all 4 cylinder) in the past and have never had to add oil between changes.
  • ergoergo Member Posts: 56
    Okay, those bent frames & body damage on the Ridgeline's were scary to read about. No less than 5 have body creasing by the C-Pillar! :cry:

Sure, 2 of them were CPO vehicles purchased used from a Honda dealer, but there's no excuse on a vehicle with only 10k on it. Can't believe the dealer told the guy to keep driving it. An independent frame shop ferified his fears. Bent frame. Was a shame he was villified by fellow owners before a resolution was posted. :sick: All the bumper VIN ID's strongly imply the vehicle hasn't been in an accident.

I'd feel better about this if the owner had towed with it or something. :(

Then again, all the aggressive "Rugged" advertising for this urban truck may come back to bite Honda. They need to proudly target the city dwellers and leave the banjo playing music out of it. :P Paul Bunyan's truck it ain't!
  • dpiccolidpiccoli Member Posts: 1
    I'm not happy for your troubles, but misery loves company and I share your pain. My '06 Ridgeline interior was gutted by the dealership a couple months ago. The entire interior carpeting was soaked and moldy after 2500 miles of neighborhood driving. They were attentive and turned the car around in 3 days, but as the summer heats up I started noticing that "smell" again. Yesterday I discovered more water under the driver-side rubber mat. This time I'm also seeing some rust stains! The truck is a year old with less than 5000 miles on it. I have no confidence they will ever truly fix this issue.
  • master1master1 Member Posts: 340
    It's nice to see that this category doesn't get new posts everyday. I guess the Ridgeline's all work! :)
  • tgeorgiantgeorgian Member Posts: 2
    Nope, just getting complacent. I am resigned to the fact that this will never work properly. I'm a "soccer mom" SUVer turned Ridgeline so this is my first experience with a pickup. The problems I'm having are minor, but inconvenient, and the dealerships in this area don't seem to care.
    I have to manually lift the Tonneau cover every time I want to close the back tail gate. The cover droops down so the tailgate can't latch on, or I think it is tight and it falls down when I'm driving. The kids are used to sitting in the back with all our packages on the floor, but sometimes this isn't possible. The truck was just back from the dealer and they can't seem to get a fix on the cover so it will hold at the right level. They "repair" it by tightening the screws and it fails again two or three days later. Have been to two different dealerships on this.

Also fell for the pen trick on a crack in the windsheild as detailed in numerous posts in owners forums of other Honda vechiles. Never heard of a tension crack before this. Woke up one morning to see the sun highlighting a fine two inch crack on the upper midline of the windshield. The dealer needed a closer look at the crack. He swooped his pen down and grind a nice little point where there hadn't been one before. After that the small crack I had waited on for 2 weeks walked all over the windshield. The 800 number was of no help. Now at 16000 miles I am starting to hear a rub in the break area.

I expected to own this Honda forever(owned 3 Volvos 10-20yrs each before this). The Hondas may last, but with the minor problems and the attitiude of the dealer it won't be a car I would want to drive anyway. Might as well consider this Ridgeline something fun & disposable for 3 years and not aggrivate in the meantime.
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    You problems seem very minor to me.

You have an add-on accessory, the Tonneau cover. Add-ons can be a source of problems.

A cracked windshield? What does 'grind a nice little point' mean? Did he just press on the windshield with a ballpoint pen? If so, I think he pressed on a spot where something had hit the windshield. And the crack then spread, which, after the initial hit, is going to happen sooner or later. Get your windshield replaced, your comprehensive insurance should cover this.

'Hear a rub.' Have the Honda dealer check the 'breaks' (brakes). If there is a problem you will have a much better chance of having it repaired at no charge at 16,000 miles than waiting later. Brakes are, after all, a maintenance item and are expected to wear out.
  • maverickme2maverickme2 Member Posts: 3
    I have 1500mi on mine and it does the same thing. Seems to be a litte rattle behind the instrument panel and steering column. Happens a little when I turn too. Going to take it in under warranty. Is it continual problem?

Thx Wes
    I have 1500mi. Mileage has ranged from 15-16 avg with mostly city driving and one time 19+ with about 50mi highway, cruise set at 70mph. I don't baby it in city driving. My daily commute of 15mi includes 5mi of highway @ 75-80mph.
    I'll try the covers. But I notice squeaks and rattles around the steering column, mostly over rougher surfaces. I also hear ticking sounds when I turn. It doesn't happen all the time but its a little annoying...1500mi
  • sreedersreeder Member Posts: 2
    My ridgline has 16,000 miles and the engine is being replaced.I wondered if anyone else has had Vtek engine problems. The dealer has no idea what the problem is so they are replacing the engine. It just lost power. Does anyone know the history of this engine and reliability.
    These Honda V6 engines are 99.9% reliable. It doesn't suprise me your dealer doesn't have a clue. They've probaly never seen a bad one. This V6 has been used in the pilot and has an excellent reliability history. I'm sure you also know that Honda is the most renown engine maker in the world.
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    The VTEC V6 is also in the Odyssey, Accord and Saturn VUE too. Perhaps minor diffs, but really a good engine.

Can't you be more specific?
  • sreedersreeder Member Posts: 2
    I was pulling my 2 4-wheelers an incline in Rt 30 in PA. ans all of a sudden I lost power and the engine light flickered. At first I thought I had gotten some bad fuel. I parked it and had it towed to the Honda dealer. They drained the gas tank and refilled it, but no go. the spark plugs were black on the ends. They have no idea what it could be. That's when they decided to pull the engine, send it to Honda so they can take it apart and try to pinpoint the problem. I am waiting now for the new engine to be installed. I was just wondering if anyone else was having trouble with this engine. Thanks for the reply
  • usedtobeloyalusedtobeloyal Member Posts: 31
    This forum is very helpful. I am considering a 07 Ridgeline. Does anyone have any information concerning the problems that were encountered previously on the Ridgeline and whether there has been a "fix" on the new year model?
  • bobwileybobwiley Member Posts: 241
    Have had no prblems with water leaking or any of the other problems mentioned in this forum. My engine problem was fixed with a new engine. I was impressed with the no hassle from Honda. I have only had it back for a week but so far so good although now the gas gauge is not working correctly it won't register past half full. I take it in tomarrow for the repair. I can't say I am not a little aggravated! But I am still happy with the truck in general. The only trucks I have ever owned before this were Toyotas Had my last one for 16 years. I chose the honda this time because the Toyotas felt cramed inside compared to the RDL. Hope I made the right choice!!
  • usedtobeloyalusedtobeloyal Member Posts: 31
    What was the problem with the engine?
    I have owned a F-250, F-350, Chevy 1/2 ton and a Toyota and drove and worked all of them for many years. I bought the Ridgeline because of the ratings and the fact that it is a very versitile vehicle. It is not as "rugged" as my other trucks and certainly doesn't haul heavy loads like some other trucks. I looked at all the new mid size trucks on the market and the Ridgeline has more room, better safety, smoother, quieter ride. It drives more like a car. I have had my Ridgeline for around a year now and it is by far the best vehicle I have ever owned. I have been in the mud and sand quite a bit and have tried but not been able to get stuck as of yet. Don't count on it being a heavy duty work vehicle or a serious 4x4 but it is excellent for family recreation. The Honda service center is excellent and while I have not had any serious problems I know they will be there to help me if needed. I don't have leaks, my engine works great, there is no rattle. All good, I would buy it again.
  • skelley1skelley1 Member Posts: 5
    I own a Ridgeline and the tail does lock !! I own a RTL I do not know what you bought. The locking tonneau cover is redundant. I bought the hard cover, it has it's own lock .

But it also has latches that lock it in place meaning that no keyed lock is required because the tail gate locks.

Maybe your model does not have a locking tailgate ???
    Here is why I bought a [non-permissible content removed] vehicle

By the way I am a USA army veteran who swore he would never buy a foreign car !!!

87 Ford Ranger super cab the paint peeled off the roof and hood Ford would not fix !!

I still bought another Ford :
    96 Ford Windstar Bad headgasket at 30,000 miles covered under warranty but I paid dearly when I traded it in.

I still bought another Ford :
    2002 Ford Windstar Transmission rebuild @ 60k miles $2300.00 bill while I am still making payments on it.

I was in the market for another Ford when my tranny failed but changed my mind and bought a Ridgeline .

I am a loyal American but I have a son in college and cannot afford to buy what for me has been a inferior product.

I now proudly have veterans plates on my [non-permissible content removed] vehicle !!!
    Shame on USA carbuilders !!!
    Hmm let me think why me a USA Army veteran bought the [non-permissible content removed] vehicle I swore I never would.
    I have owned 4 Fords now:
    First one a Ford Escort my wife totaled it.
    Second vehicle 96 Windstar Bad head gasket at 30,000
  • tonkatruktonkatruk Member Posts: 11
    OK, so we've got Ridgelines that leap and lug while idling, engines that lose power and need replaced, and the weak braking systems. The wet carpets and loose plastic pieces and the noises emanating from the front and rear at various speeds. More troubling is the body flexing on a van redesigned to look like a truck. BUT... it is quality BECAUSE it is Japanese and not American. Now, if it was an American vehicle these folks would be bashing American products till the cows come home, but because it's foreign, it's gotta be good.
    You go Mr. Veteran (I'm one too), The Fords and Chevy's pay a hell of allot more into the tax base than Honda or Toyota ever will as they have abated all of their taxes to bring industry into lower income areas. Who is ultimately paying your retirement??
    As for your experiences with Ford, wow! I've been driving Fords and Chevys my entire life and haven't had any serious issues whatsoever. Some people need to make stories to justify doing something that doesn't sit exactly right in their conscience. DO as you will as we're all the boss of our wallets. Peace Mr. Vet
  • beebee13beebee13 Member Posts: 38
    My son and I went to test drive and look at an 07 Ridgeline yesterday. It had rained here earlier in the day, and when the dealer unlocked the truck so that we could look inside and possibly test drive it the entire console between the seats as well as the area around the moonroof was soaking wet! Some of the leather passenger seat was also drenched. I asked if they have many moonroofs that have this leaking problem of course I was told NO! Has anyone had this problem? I've heard of leaking moonroofs in other cars, but was VERY surprised that this happened in a Honda.
    Has anyone had this problem?

Nope, my moonroof is as tight as a drum. I've been in high pressure car washes and rain storms and not a drop.
    OK, so we've got Ridgelines that leap and lug while idling, engines that lose power and need replaced, and the weak braking systems. The wet carpets and loose plastic pieces and the noises emanating from the front and rear at various speeds. More troubling is the body flexing on a van redesigned to look like a truck.

You're something else. Do you believe every post you read on the internet?

so we've got Ridgelines that leap and lug while idling, engines that lose power and need replaced, and the weak braking systems.

I know the few problems this truck has well and the ones you've listed aren't even real problems. I've followed owners problems with the RL from the beginning and the only genuine issues it had were a leaky cab from a faulty weld and creeky steering wheel.

These are the most frequently reported problems from actual owners, not 1 post trolls like you cite. Look at CR if you want to know what true crap american vehicles are. Ford and GM continue to their customers and like sheep they go back for more.

I've driven my Ridgeline for almost 2 years without a problem. It has been the best vehicle for us. We couldn't be happier with it. The Toyotas we owned before the curent Fit and Ridgeline we now own also were reliable for the 15 years we owned them.
    double post
  • hairballhairball Member Posts: 4
    I've had my Ridgeline for 9 months and besides a slightly undersized engine, it's been a great vehicle so far. Before, I have only owned Chevy trucks and Vans for the past 30 years. It was a tough choice but quality per dollar, and trust, ultimately drives everything in our global economy. My Honda has small design features that most people don't notice and Detroit would never even think about. Those who focus on serving the customer first, rather than themselves (Unions), ultimately conquer.
  • jarhead3jarhead3 Member Posts: 1
    so what if your a vet! so am I, buying a domestic car doesnt make you patriotic, anyone who works on cars can tell you the quality of the domestic vehicle has gone to [non-permissible content removed], and if people would stop buying [non-permissible content removed] then maybee the quality will improve. insted of preaching to buy Americn built start writing to the manufactures and let them know that they should improving the quality of their vehicles, and an economy car doesnt mean cheap quality or piss poor design, try a corolla or a civic vs dodge neon or an escort having to work on these piles of [non-permissible content removed] makes me wana gag.
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    There has been a lot bad imports produced as well as North American vehicles. It is obvious that you can't express yourself without swearing. Where is the Host?
  • tonkatruktonkatruk Member Posts: 11
    Pvt. Jarhead, You're getting all worked into a frenzy over a Civic or Corolla? Personally son, I would never be caught driving something like that. I prefer a vehicle I can stretch out in and has enough power to get away from itself. As for a neon, not my type of vehicle (give me a truck), but at least it generated some tax dollars that flowed back into our economy (the one that pays your paycheck). I hope you take advantage of some of the other tax dollar options available to us who've served and use it towards education. Your verbal skills give John Kerry the ammo to back up his latest statements about "stupid goes to Iraq". You're embarrasing many of us.

:cry: Peace Bro.
    OK, you guys are getting a little out of focus. Perhaps you should look into the local bingo group or buy yourself a fishing pole? Maybe try spending a little of your time to research and find out exactly where your vehicle was produced. Come on, exchange emails, we don't need to read this crap
  • beebee13beebee13 Member Posts: 38
    AHEM...I thought that these sites were for car information and not car owner bashing. :confuse:
    No made up stories here all true !! My conscience will not allow me to buy a inferior product because it is simply made in good old USA !! If they built a good product I would be still driving one !!

Made up stories let at the ratings for these vehicles they speak for themselves !!!

No one but myself is paying for my retirement !!!
    I think that maybe you are making up stories about your experiences with Ford and Chevy !!