Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

E46 M3 Performance Modifications

aampwraampwr Member Posts: 2
edited April 2014 in BMW
Does anyone have any experience with Dinan modifications? Am I crazy to even want to modify a 2003 M3? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Dinan is a very reputable vendor/tuner. First off, I'd check on how the chip affects your warranty, and secondly, I'd ask Dinan for dyno tests regarding the chip. Once you get the test results, you can come back here and we can help you interpret what they might really mean. I don't think M3 engineers leave a lot of HP on the table when they build an M3 engine, but there may be more HP available from a chip---I just don't know what you give up to get that HP. Maybe the dyno test will tell us. Sometimes chips don't increase HP as much as move it around, which could also be good. Question is really how much do you get from a chip for what you pay and is the chip doing what you really want?
  • m34shezm34shez Member Posts: 2
    I AM LOOKING INTO GETTING AN AFTERMARKET EXHAUST SYSTEM BUT AM UNCLEAR ON WHICH ONE TO GO WITH. THE AC SCHNITZER AND HAMANN SYSTEMS LOOK LIKE WORKS OF ART BUT IS THERE AN ADVANTAGE TO THESE OVER THE CHEAPER AMERICAN MADE SYSTEMS OTHER THAN THERE FAR SUPERIOR AESTHETICS? ANY INPUT WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED, IF IT HELPS $ ISN'T A PROBLEM I JUST WANT THE BEST OF THE BEST. KREISSIG ALSO MAKES SOMETHING FOR THE M3, BUT I DON'T WANT TO VOID THE WARRANTY IF POSSIBLE.
    Not sure exactly what parts of the exhaust system you are thinking of replacing on the M3---if it's just from the catalytic on back, then the German systems are just charging you for quality construction and perhaps a nice sound---but nothing from the cat back is going to give you much power---especially given the costs, it's not something I'd buy to gain power economically.

If you are thinking of putting headers on back, doing the whole thing, that could gain you 10-15HP but I would research these systems and see some dyno test results. I have seen, on occasion, where the cheaper system does the best job--e.g., a flowmaster on a Porsche 930 turbo did a much better job than the more expensive exhaust systems.

So you never know---but I feel pretty certain that the quality of a Schnitzer exhaust would be superior to anything you can buy domestically----and, priced accordingly.

Personally I don't wanna pay $300 per HP for something if I can get it for $50 per HP, just because it looks nice underneath the car.

One reason I'm suggesting researching dyno results is that I'm not sure the BMW engineers have left a lot of horsepower on the table with the M3.
  • m34shezm34shez Member Posts: 2
    I'm interested in upgrading my m3 performance wise. I was curious about what my options were. I don't want to void the warranty though. That is my only condition which I'm sure dramatically limits my options but I would like to know what the possibilities are.
    Well they can't void your warranty unless they can prove the part you installed actually did the damage to the component that you are claiming warranty on. Of course, they can harass you mercilessly whether they are right or not. You might just ask your dealer's policy on modifications but they may in fact tell you something that isn't legallly speaking, quite true (not out of maliciousness, they may not always know all the consumer laws in place).

I think I'd start reading "Roundel" and European Car magazines and see what's up. Nothing like reading about what someone ELSE has done to their car first.

Have you considered contacting tuners like Dinan Engineering here in the states and chatting with them?
  • gwinergwiner Member Posts: 1
    Dinan (mentioned in several previous posts) is generally regarded as the premier tuning company for BMWs in the US. They have set up relationships with many BMW dealerships around the country (they call them "Authorized Dinan BMW Performance Centers"). When done at an authorized Dinan BMW dealership, the parts and modifications are usually covered by one of two scenarios: either the manufacturer's warranty is not voided, or Dinan provides supplemental warranty coverage equivalent to the factory. With years of engineering experience, and thousands of modified BMW's of almost every model type on the roads, most BMW enthusiasts would have no problems recommending Dinan. There are some other tuners that have some better products, but if you're concerned about the warranty situation, you can't go better than with Dinan, in my opinion. As an example of their reputation - some unscrupulous BMW' owners improve their look by badging with fake "Dinan" emblems, instead of fake "///M".

In addition to Dinan, other well-regarded companies to check out are AC Schnitzer (body panels, suspention, etc.) and (Jim) Conforti (software and intakes). I don't believe these carry the same warranty implications as Dinan. Good luck!
  • m3geneticm3genetic Member Posts: 1
    The black sheep of the family, yep, that's me. My father owns a BMW and so do my brothers. I might be a future ex-Lexus owner by the end of the week.

I'm in the midst of purchasing my first ever E36 M3 '99. My friend is selling it to me with 77K miles for $16,500. What do you think? Is this the deal of the century or half decent? I'm going to get the car checked tomorrow at a BMW dealership. Assuming all goes well with the inspection, should I keep the car stock or visit my nearest DINAN shop?

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Kinda depends on how he drove it and took care of it. The M series cars, at least historically, are not long-lived automobiles as a rule.
  • m3xkrm3xkr Member Posts: 1
    i am about to get a 2003 m3 as my first car and dont know what to get a stick or smg. i dont want to get in an accident as im shifting the gears and paying attention to the road. but everyone tells me to get stick so i dont know what to do????
    Kinda depends on your geography. If you are in a high traffic metro area, a stick shift can be annoying but generally it's more rewarding to drive in a powerful and agile car like an M3. Driving a manual I think contributes to safety, as you have to pay more attention to the car.
  • nexusracenexusrace Member Posts: 2
    If your looking for a top of the line exhaust for the E46 M3, Dixis of Japan makes some killer systems, some as high as $20,000 dollars, which is honestly quite rediculous, otherwise an awsome system is by Powerhouse Amuse out of Japan also, the quality is unmathced and the asthetics are just disgustingly gorgeous, the A1 titan system is a complete titanium tig welded design, that flows 35% more, its the best exhaust I've ever seen, you can check it out on bullettproofautomotive.com
  • aampwraampwr Member Posts: 2
    I'm going to purchase either Fikse Profil 10's or HRE 541's for my 2004 Imola Red M3 Convertible. I've not found exact weights for either wheel compared to the stock 18" wheels, and I don't know which one is stronger (for some reason neither Fikse or HRE has this information?). Anybody familiar with these two brands? Any other recommendations?
  • bull00marketbull00market Member Posts: 1
    FYI, if you're still in the market for some wheels for your m3, check out kinesis wheels. they look really good on m3's. i have an '03 m3 and am thinking about getting them. my father has a 2006 911 carrera S with 19" kinesis wheels and it looks awesome. the web site is below and they actually have some photos of m3's with the one piece forged wheels.

http://www.kinesismotorsport.com/f110.htm
  • benztunerbenztuner Member Posts: 76
    Im own a luxury tuner shop on the East Coast, and I heard some things about DINAN. DINAN isnt doing very well in US markets, due to their difficult product availability they have suffered. DINAN will only allow BMW dealerships wholesale purchase their products, well that isnt entirely accurate, DINAN mandates that any wholesale operation must have a BMW Master Tech on hand during all business hours. Also the Master Tech must stay up on current models, well there is NO way to do this unless they work at a BMW dealership becuase BMW, like most major manufacturers, only allows dealership employees to attend training sessions. So there would be no way to keep up with current models. DINAN is also expensive, more expensive than most. DINAN's downfall can be attributed to the sucess of tuners such as Active Autowerke and EVO Technik. Evo Technik is going to be explosive on the BMW tuner market in the US. So you might want to look at all of the options before you make a decision.
  • benztunerbenztuner Member Posts: 76
    HRE, you cant hardly beat the wheels and they arent too badly priced for what you get. I like HRE's and thats what I recommend to my performance oriented customers. Anyways, I like the HRE's.
  • bigtiresbigtires Member Posts: 2
    I would take any used bmw to a dealership to get looked over before buying one, as I had a used m3, and had a ton of problems, because of poor repairs in the past.

It was a blast to drive tho!
  • phudphud Member Posts: 4
    Hi M3 owners,
    I found a set of M6 wheel & tire that i'm going to take a look in this weekend & intended to buy it for my 04-M3. The bolt pattern is the same so it would fit. But does anyone know is there anything wrong to use M6 wheel on a M3 b/c the wheel offset may be different from one another?
    Any insight from your past experience or comment is most welcome

The M6 wheels look very sporty & the tires are still in great condition. The price is very reasonable & i really like to have them

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.