Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura MDX MPG Real World Numbers

Comments

• mecheng1mecheng1 Member Posts: 161
    Not so fast. FoxNews article is more accurate because it includes the tax credit in the calculation.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,210038,00.html

So, if I break even on my Escape Hybrid in three years (as is now projected) and I usually keep my vehicles for more than 8 years (minimum battery warranty length), that could be a lot of savings in the out years (who knows what gas prices will be?) Once owners learn how to drive the hybrid and the eCVT, it is not hard to get over or above the rated EPA numbers. And "plug-in" hybrids and conversion kits are coming soon.

I have monitored my '01 MDX for five years and it consistently gets 16 mph on a tank full of short trips around town and 22 - 24 mpg on long trips (loaded down with family and cargo).

:)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The Edmunds study referenced in the Fox news report was based on $3 a gallon gas so there's another reference point that keeps moving (gas is flirting with $2USD in some places, like Iowa). Lots more in the Hybrid Vehicles board.
  • aspesisteveaspesisteve Member Posts: 833
    can someone explain to me why the '06 Acura MDX requires premium fuel?

I assume it has the same engine that the Pilot has - the Pilot only needs regular unleaded.

thanks
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    It is not exactly the same engine.

The MDX is tuned for a higher level of performance. The timing, compression, intake & exhaust, and other systems are all tuned to get the most power out of a gallon of gas.

That said, you can run regular in the '06 MDX. For the first generation MDX, premium fuel is recommended, but not required. Sensors in the engine will retard performance and it will operate in a manner not unlike the engine in the Pilot.

With the new '07 MDX, premium fuel is required.
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    Just took another road trip in the 06 MDX.
    Went from Massachusetts to Chicago, IL and back.

Did some driving while there, but not more than 2 or 3 hours worth of city driving.

I had to fill up 3 times each way, sometimes with the good stuff, sometimes with mid-grade, depending on state and gas prices.

Door to door and back, computer reported a MPG average of 22.9. :D
  • inincubusinincubus Member Posts: 11
    paid $34500.
    18.7 mpg
    15000 droven.
  • inkyofokinkyofok Member Posts: 62
    Sticker says 17-22
    I found the following after 1500 miles.
    expressway flat at 55 yields 28
    expressway flat at 60 yields 26
    expressway at 65 yields 25

500 mile trip on I 44 for xmas. avg speed 65 all interstate yielded a trip avg of 24.4 mpg. I was fully loaded and had a tail wind on first half.

Not bad. However, when driven fun the mpg goes looooooooooow.
  • blackexv6blackexv6 Member Posts: 503
    That's great MPG's for a 300hp SUV. I am considering leasing an '07 when Acura runs a money factor special next year.

Are your numbers based upon the trip computer or fill-ups?

Thanks.
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    The only way you can maybe get 28 mpg with the 2007 MDX is if you remove all the seats, have a fraction of one gallon of gas in the tank, fill the tires with helium and have a category 2 hurricane following from behind.

In other words, I don't believe you.
  • xcelxcel Member Posts: 1,025
    Hi Hpowders:

I see you have a little problem with the FE capabilities of the MDX. Why not learn to drive one for what they are easily worth instead of spewing ill will. In other words, welcome to the real world ;)

31.2 mpg in 21 degree F temps during a Chicago Blizzard back in early 2005 while heading to a Harlem Globetrotters game.

33.1 mpg in 82 degree temps while performing local errands around my suburb and back home this past summer.

This is my wife’s personal 2003 Acura MDX so I do not get the opportunity to drive it that often :(

Good Luck

Wayne R. Gerdes

Show me similar stats for the 2007 MDX. That's what I was referring to.

I don't see anyone getting much more than 21 mpg and that's pure highway driving.
    Probably more like 15-17 mpg in combined driving.

Several auto press test-drives list the mpg of the 2007 MDX as a negative. Still a lot better than the Q7, but not great.

How come nobody in the auto press has been able to achieve your results? I mean getting 31 mpg with any MDX would have been headline news. Are you questioning their testers' driving skills too?

Don't show me stats for when the MDX is coasting down Mt. St. Helens with a 100 mile wind gust at one's back. Anybody can create a temporary artificial situation.

Nobody in the real world (who has come forth to write about their experiences) in normal city and highway driving is getting 28-31 mpg with the 2007 MDX.

Have a Happy New Year! :)
  • btalbtal Member Posts: 4
    After 1000 miles on my 07 MDX, I can say that it's about 19-21 on freeway & around 17 city. I have noticed the Trip computer showing above 25mpg a few times on freewyay.

Mileage readings changed dramatically after 600 miles on the car..did anyone else notice this?
    Hi Hpowders:

Sorry, I don’t own an 07, we own an 03. Those drives were for round trips and I don’t think we have a Mt. St. Helens to coast down w/ a 100 mph tail wind and then drive back up with another 100 mile tail wind from the other direction for the round trip segment. At least not in the Chicago area the last time I looked ;)

Would you like to drive an 07 MDX over to my home and I will punch out 30 + out of it for you too? Pretty easy to do if you care to learn.

Nobody in the real world (who has come forth to write about their experiences) in normal city and highway driving is getting 28-31 mpg with the 2007 MDX.

If I owned an 07, I would :D

Good Luck and Happy New Year!

Wayne R. Gerdes

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Hi, Wayne!

I think it would be much more helpful if you were to provide some substantive details about how you achieved those mileage numbers rather than taunting other members with extraordinary claims only to entice or lure them into visiting your own site with those links.

Thanks.

tidester, host
    "Real world" means just that. What the typical driver is getting. And for the 2007 MDX, it falls in around 17-19 mpg for mixed commutes with a top of 22 mpg on the highway.
  • ma10005ma10005 Member Posts: 1
    I noticed a marked improvement in fuel economy from 250 miles to 700 miles. Now, it's averaging about 20.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    We do not own a 2007 MDX (neither do you I assume), but I'll nontheless take on your cynicism that anyone can achieve better than the highway EPA estimate on the 2007 MDX when cruising at highway speeds. I have kept detailed mileage logs for all of my vehicles. I also travel regularly 370 miles each way to our second home. Virtually all highway, including 150 miles of PA Turnpike which includes some significant hills and grades. I average 65-70 mph with 2-3 rest, lunch or bathroom stops. Here are actual results:

1995 Nissan Maxima SE 5-speed: EPA 22-27; actual MPG: 27.8 to 30.1 estimated average 28.5.

2002 Honda S2000: EPA 20-26; actual: 28.8 to 32.5. Estimated average 31. (28.8 was with the top down, all others 30+).

2004 Acura TL 6-speed: EPA 20-29; actual 28.8 to 32.1. Estimated average 30.5.

2005 MDX: EPA 17-23; actual 22.5 to 26.4. Estimated average 24.5.

2005 Porsche 911S Cab: EPA 18-25; actual 25.5 to 28.1. Estimated average 26.5.

In all of the above cases, my actual highway fuel efficiency for straight highway "cruising" is higher than the EPA estimate. And this is not babying the car at 55 mph downhill downwind, but similar 370 mile trips at 65+ mph, with grades.

I think your cynicism of inkyofok's claim to average 25 mpg at 65 mph cruise in the 2007 MDX is misplaced. The fact that the 2007 V6 has a bit more horsepower than the previous model is insignificant to highway cruising at 65 mph. It's no heavier and perhaps a bit more aerodynamic and the added power actually helps maintain speed on grades. As a matter of fact, we only averaged 19 mpg on our routine trip with our old 1996 Isuzu Trooper 5-speed with 190 horsepower. It had to be downshifted constantly to handle the Pa Trunpike grades.

Tidester: Hopefully this meets your request for "real world" data. But I think your indirect defense of hpowders was also a bit misplaced. I was polite in my response, but someone that states "I don't believe you" as much to say "You're lying" is apt to get a punch in the forehead from me in person. ;)
    But I think your indirect defense of ...

That was neither my point nor my intent. Even your top MDX mileage (26.5 mpg) is 5 mpg less than the claim made by the original poster (31-33 mpg average). It would certainly be interesting to learn how that was achieved without being enticed to go elsewhere for the information. :)

I have no problem with the data. I just want to know how it was done.

tidester, host
    When someone claims 31-33 mpg average in the "real world" for a vehicle as big and heavy as the MDX, I have the right to challenge his credibility.

The host asked him to provide his methodology. So far, nothing but silence in response.
    I have an 06 Touring, and since the wife and I work within 2 miles of each other, we 'share' the car a lot of times.
    I notice on the highway, she has this odd habit of constantly adjusting her pedal pressure.
    On-off-on-off-slightly back on-off-on-... drives me bezerk!!! Ugh, I hate what she drives LOL

Anyway, when I have the car, I'm in the area of 23.8 MPG average.

When she drives, it's an average of 17.

I drive more aggressively than she does, but I don't fiddle with the pedal as she does.
    Something as little as that makes a big difference.

I have never gotten the MDX above 25 MPG average for any real amount of time.
    Maybe a half mile down hill, but that's about it.
    And, may I remind you, you started this off with:

"The only way you can maybe get 28 mpg with the 2007 MDX is if you remove all the seats, have a fraction of one gallon of gas in the tank, fill the tires with helium and have a category 2 hurricane following from behind.

In other words, I don't believe you."

The poster you challenged qualified his MPG experience as 28 mpg at a 55 mph steady cruise and 25 mpg at a 65 mpg steady cruise.

Although I would fall asleep or be run over from behind trying to test a 55 mph cruise on our MDX, the 25 mpg at 65 mph is completely consistent with our experience, using cruise control for long highway trips.
    On-off-on-off-slightly back on-off-on-... drives me bezerk!!!

LOL, My mother-in-law must be from the same gene pool as your wife. After the second automatic transmission replacement on their Saab, the mechanic went out with her for a drive, called my father-in-law and told him to either buy a manual transmission (w/o a torque converter) or divorce her. Apparantly, doing the herky jerky on the gas pedal is not only bad for fuel efficiency, it's one of the worst things you can do to an automatic transmission.
    Great, as if I didn't have enough worries with the impending torque converter issues on the MDX as it is. :sick:
    Hi Tidester:

Because posts get buried here at Edmunds, you cannot do much with a 15 page post and have to post it again and again and again over the years. When I link Edmunds from CleanMPG, it can be found quite easily … I asked Sylvia to build a Mileage DBase years ago and of course none can be found :(

As for the details, Google my name and you will find all kinds of details from tens of other sites on how you get 30 + in an MDX, 60 + in an Accord, 120 + in a Prius II and 195 + in an Insight ... Those are long distance segment peaks however.

Good Luck

Wayne R. Gerdes
    I asked Sylvia to build a Mileage DBase years ago ...

The "MPG-Real World Numbers" discussions constitute a database.

you cannot do much with a 15 page post

The question was how do you achieve the numbers you claim? 15 pages and dozens of sites sounds way too complicated but a "Reader's Digest" version here will do nicely. :)

tidester, host
    Hi Tidester:

Real word FE discussions in a forum do not represent a Mileage DBase. Click the link in my sig and you have a real mileage DBase.

These links will be buried in this forum within a matter of weeks but here you go even though Edmunds hates for me to link to other sites :(

Beating the EPA - The Why’s and how to Hypermile.

Adapting Basic Hypermiling Techniques to the HCH-II

Hypermiling the Ford Escape Hybrid ...

Pulse and Glide plus Warp Stealth in the Prius II for maximum FE …

External Factors Affecting Mileage, or why “YMMV”

How to save gas - Hypermiling 50 years ago!

This is how you receive > 30 mpg from an 01 – 06 or the new 07 MDX’s. Whether one chooses to do so is entirely up to him or her.

Good Luck

Wayne R. Gerdes
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    Tidester,
    Kudos on being so diplomatic with this guy. I look to this thread to see how my mileage compares w/ other owners of '04 and '07 MDX and have offered my own suggestions from time to time(e.g. the "Tornado"). Is there no rule that you can't have a link to your own website on these threads? I get enough garbage from infommercials and junk mail.
    These links will be buried in this forum within a matter of weeks ...

Well, this IS a Forum! Perhaps you missed the handy search function located at the top of this page. I notice your forum has one too. :)

Let's take the general discussion over to Fuel Economy: Most bang for your buck since your points are not really vehicle specific and you've been given more than adequate opportunity to promote your own site - which, BTW, is not the purpose of THIS Forum.

Thanks for your input, Wayne.

tidester, host
    Doc,

Is there no rule that you can't have a link to your own website on these threads?

Yes, we do have such rules but we're progressing toward amending them. Think "kinder and gentler!" :)

Links will be allowed if they are directly pertinent to the ongoing discussion but chronic linking to or blatant promotion of other sites will remain unacceptable.

And don't get me started on spam! :mad:

Thanks to you, also, for all your comments!

tidester, host
  • barb36jack31barb36jack31 Member Posts: 34
    Have had my 07 MDX just a little over 2 weeks. Got 20 MPG on trip home from dealer, about 75 miles on mostly secondary roads and being very conservative with the throttle. Since then all driving has been mixed city and freeway driving. It seems to be settling down at about 18.1 MPG. I am sure that if I were agressive with that 300HP mill, I would see that number drop dramatically. Hope to see MPG increase after the 1000 to 1500 mile mark.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,306
    to getting the best highway mileage is to avoid downshifts.
    that varies by vehicle. speed limits still apply if you don't want to get a ticket. :)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • stv187stv187 Member Posts: 4
    with 2,200 miles, 50% hwy + 50 % suburban Long Island driving, average fuel consump 17.7 mpg and i'm not aggressive driver
    when driving hwy only: 20.3 mpg
    that's with slight improvement after 500 miles driven

regardless of gas prices, i'm enjoying my MDX

:)
    Have an '07 thats getting around 17mpg mixed driving, fairly disappointing but it was interesting to see the stickers on an'07 and'08 Pilot side by side, 17-22 mpg and 15-20 mpg respectively. The '08s sticker said that the numbers reflect "new" epa guidelines. Wonder if '08 MDX numbers will change too...
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    All 2008 vehicles will get new EPA ratings and they will all go down considerably.
  • dms9dms9 Member Posts: 137
    I am getting about 20-22 in mixed driving, mostly highway. All stop and go, it goes down to about 16.
  • ebbyebby Member Posts: 23
    Drove from Houston to San Antonio with 7 passengers (4 adults, 3 kids) - about 200 miles each way. I got 23.5 mpg going and 22 mpg on the return trip. Average speed was 80 mph, rarely under 70 mph.
  • miacar07miacar07 Member Posts: 28
    II will be looking to buy an SUV in the Spring of next year. Right now I'm looking at the MDX and 2008 Toyota Highlander. My first choice right now would be the Highlander because it gets better fuel economy. I love Acura (I have a 2000 3.2 TL) and has never given me a problem. The fuel economy is 19/29. I have loved the MDX for several years now, but the fuel economy is what's holding me back in getting it. Are there people here who think the way I do about the MDX?
  • dms9dms9 Member Posts: 137
    I didn't really like the highlander, although they have just redone it. The MDX drives so much better. I wish they made a hybrid or at least made it run on regular (not premium), but at the end of the day, the differential in cost to run them is not that great. Buy the one you enjoy driving.
    We just returned from a last minute 5 day trip to the Finger Lakes. Over the course of the first 4 days and a total of 750 miles, with 80%+ highway driving, we averaged about 22.6 MPG. On our 370 mile return trip yesterday, 100% highway at an actual average speed of 68 mph, we averaged exactly 26.0 mpg. That's about the best we have done on the highway in our 2005 MDX. More typically, we average 23.5 to 25.0 on 65-70 mph highway runs that include some western PA/MD hills. These are all calculated numbers, not the trip computer (which happens to be accurate, but I still do my own math).

We have considered the possibility of trading our 2005 for a 2008 - what is the best highway mileage the new MDX gets? I know city and mixed drivign vary considerably based upon conditions, but the highway mileage is usually a good basis for comparison.
    We just returned from a last minute 5 day trip to the Finger Lakes. Over the course of the first 4 days and a total of 750 miles, with 80%+ highway driving, we averaged about 22.6 MPG. On our 370 mile return trip yesterday, 100% highway at an actual average speed of 68 mph, we averaged exactly 26.0 mpg. That's about the best we have done on the highway in our 2005 MDX. More typically, we average 23.5 to 25.0 on 65-70 mph highway runs that include some western PA/MD hills.

We have considered the possibility of trading our 2005 for a 2008 - what is the best highway mileage the new MDX gets? I know city and mixed drivign vary considerably based upon conditions, but the highway mileage is usually a good basis for comparison.

P.S. Friends of ours out west own a Highlander Hybrid. They like it, but are a childless couple and don't need the room the MDX provides. However, the Highlanders fuel efficiency advantage is stricly in the city, where they still average 22+. On the highway, running purely on gas but carrying the extra battery weight, they get WORSE mileage than our MDX.
  • parker4551parker4551 Member Posts: 58
    '07 MDX, 2000 miles on odometer, 23.2 on a trip from Missouri to Indiana, mostly going 75, occasionally quicker.
    Usually in the 18-19 range on a normal split of 20% highway, 80% city.
    This is incredible mileage IMO from a 300hp mill pulling 4600 pounds, plus cargo, with AWD engaged. You probably won't get better mileage on the highway if this thing was a hybrid, or had another gear. Running at 85 mph only turning 2400 rpms.
    Just returned from a 300+ mile trip 95% of which was highway miles. The '07's trip computer registered 22.4 mpg. Had the cruise set @ 80 mph. Have about 8500 miles on it now. Have people found that the computer is accurate? I think that's pretty reasonable for a loaded down suv.
    Our 2005 MDX's computer is accurate. On a similar 370 mile highway trip, we got 26.0 mpg at an actual average speed of 68 mph (including short sections of non-highway), meaning that most of the time on the highway, the cruise was set between 70 and 80 mph. Generally, we have averaged 24-25 mpg on the highway.

We are considering trading for a 2008 or 2009 MDX before our warranty expires. I don't consider the new model's slightly lower fuel economy to be a detriment, given the better performance. But we will try out the new Cayenne with 290hp linked to a 6-speed manual, assuming we can live without the third row seats. Even after having the new MDX as a loaner several times, I've concluded Acura's automatic transmissions are, IMO, their weakest link. Fortunately, my wife agrees and is more than happy to go to a manual, if it makes sense.
  • realestatemanrealestateman Member Posts: 5
    I was also considering the 2008 Highlander (much improved, IMHO) but went with the MDX. The Highlander just didn't have the driving feel, the reviewers are right. It gets you from Point A to B quietly and comfortably enough. But why buy any car that isn't fun to drive, especially when it's as safe as the MDX?

If it's because you would save $15-$25 a month on gas, that just doesn't seem like a good enough reason, especially since the MDX is one of the top vehicles for resale value.
  • realestatemanrealestateman Member Posts: 5
    That is excellent! I don't know how someone could ask for much more. What is your top mileage without towing?
  • bill124bill124 Member Posts: 246
    While premium is recommended and I guess gives better performance, will regular harm engine? I have mercedes and NEVER put premium in and it runs fine. I don't drive on the autobahn so 120+ is not what I am trying to do. Any suggestions?
  • mecheng1mecheng1 Member Posts: 161
    The truck has performance and knock sensors that will adjust the valve timing to accommodate fuels of different octane ratings....top end, max power when you need it, horsepower would be affected. Probably no short-term harm and FE change may not be noticable. But for what? Is premium more than $.20/gal where you live? $.40/gal ?

At 15,000 m/year, 18mpg, $.30/gal....that comes to $250/year (more or less) on a $45,000 vehicle. :confuse:
  • bill124bill124 Member Posts: 246
    Thanks very much. Actually, the car we traded had about 35K miles after 3 years, 10 mos, so its even less. I guess you are right. In my area, I think difference is around $.30 and maybe a few cents less.
    Took our '04 MDX on the same 300+ mile trip that we took our '07 on three weeks ago. Same exact mileage according to the computer, 22.4mpg. Go figure....
  • mtairyordgemtairyordge Member Posts: 144
    I am trying to justify the extra expense of the MDX vs the HL. Since the milage on my 2004 HL is 22-24 for the type of driving I do, country roads/ some Highway in mid-Md (Carroll/Howard/Frederick county area, I am trying to see what others are getting on the MDX and the type of driving that it comes from.

Could people please respond to me and give me MPG and type of driving done.

Thanks
    George