Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Real World MPG

Comments

• thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    To answer the questions, I try to keep the RPMs low and I don't floor it from a stop. However, driving in NYC is not like in other cities from what I have seen. They don't drive any faster but there is no shoulder on many of the highways and the lanes are curvy and small. You have to drive aggressively at times even if it isn't your preference. So there are plenty of times the RPMs hit 3K and above!! That probably accounts for my lesser mileage.

Oh, no wonder you don't quite achieve EPA numbers; you're in the Big Apple! That is a little different from most "cities" where I've been (I've been to NYC several times, I love it...except for the traffic!). I'd bet you'd get GREAT mileage driving normally in MY town, Birmingham - Alabama's capital for urban sprawl (though not actually the STATE capital).
  • ny1911ny1911 Member Posts: 11
    My first tank on an '06 LX sedan 5MT got me 34.5mpg with about 75%/25% city/highway.
  • jph3006jph3006 Member Posts: 49
    First 2 tanks, 100% non-highway driving:
    1) 30.5 mpg
    2) 33.1 mpg

We are very happy with this mileage!
  • bman64bman64 Member Posts: 14
    My '06 LX 5MT sedan mileage, 1500 miles on the car so far.

First 5 tanks:

1) 32.6
    2) 31.0
    3) 32.4
    4) 31.5
    5) 31.2

Average comes to 31.78 MPG so far. :)

I average about 9 gallons per fill-up, I don't run the tank near empty. I always use the same pump at the same station and top off the tank the same way, adding fuel to the nearest $0.25 increment after the initial 'click'. I always check my fuel mileage on all my vehicles using this same method, it's very accurate.

Miles are 95% city driving, but not highly congested. It's been raining a couple of days a week since I took delivery a little over 2 months back, this hurts fuel mileage a bit.

Should get a bit better with some more break-in miles, I'm very happy. :shades:
  • gpkgpk Member Posts: 38
    My first tank on my '06 EX was 29.45 95% city. I am happy with this I will let you know more when the engine breaks in.I have less than 500 miles on it so far. :shades:
  • cybergypsycybergypsy Member Posts: 51
    MPG
    1st tank,32.5 2nd tank 34.5, 3rd tank 35.0, had 2 hybrids and find the cost of ownership way to expensive, 5K for the large bat. o n the prius and the civic was not much better...the prius always calculated it own MPG , when I did it it was much lower......
  • tlccar1tlccar1 Member Posts: 3
    We have a 2006 Civic EX Auto Sedan. On long trips we have recorded 42.1 MPG and 41.6 MPG, and during normal weeks with stop and go traffic and highway travel mixed in we have averaged 32-33 MPG consistently. It is an awesome car and I am very pleased with the gas mileage, considering the size and comfort of this car.
  • butterflyjonesbutterflyjones Member Posts: 72
    Its great to hear you are getting the EPA posted mileage on long trips. What speed were your going and did you use the AC on these trips? How many miles do you have on the car? Does it have the LUG BUG issue? Squeaks and rattles? Hope you have many more happy miles!!! :);) :shades:
  • crissmancrissman Member Posts: 145
    Today's fill-up showed about 35 mpg in mixed driving of suburban roads and some highway. Highest so far. Will be doing a road trip next week so I'll finally get a pure highway reading. Car ('06 EX auto) has about 7000 mi. on it.
  • sab3313sab3313 Member Posts: 1
    I have a '06 civic lx 5spd sedan and just finished a long road trip of just over 500 mi through the canadian rockies. I had only one bar left when i pulled in to get gas, considering the mountain climbs and passing vehicles on a two lane highway (one each direction) for at least the first 300 mi doing an average speed of 75mph (about 3400rpm in 5th) then when i hit the last 200mi i set the cruise control at about 71(3100rpm in 5th). I am very pleased with the fuel efficiency with this car considering i could have gone at least another 25mi if not more and that i filled my tank up with about 14gal;I got 37.8mpg I've put on 4350mi to date
  • jimbos99jimbos99 Member Posts: 1
    Our '06 LX Sedan his returning great numbers, both city and highway. We've already made several long trips (to Minneapolis and Syracuse (2) from Springfield, Il) and have posted Hwy averages of 40 - 46 MPG (mostly interstate @ 70-75 MPH). Consistent 35 MPG in the city. With ~ 9K on the odometer, we're averaging 37 MPG. Only complaint is that %&($ Lug Bug!
  • bulldogrobbulldogrob Member Posts: 2
    2005 Civic LX Special Edition, MT, 28,000 miles
    I am a contractor, driving about 30,000 miles/year
    speeding - 75 mph highway - 36 mpg
    sipping - 60 mph highway - 44 mpg
    stop and go City Driving - 34 mpg
    normal - 70% Highway 30% City commute - 37 mpg

I keep the tires at 40 psig, checked weekly.
    I run only Mobil 1 5w20 since new.

I bought the gas Civic because the majority of my miles are highway, the Hybrid won't pay back on the highway.
  • mycivicmycivic Member Posts: 6
    Total Miles 313
    Total gallons 13.21
    Average mpg 23.69
    40/60 city/highway.

I ran it practically bone dry before my first fill up. I filled it as much as possible. I hope my mileage improves before I drive down to Hilton Head in July.
  • boonedogboonedog Member Posts: 1
    2006 EX Civic Coupe 5 Speed Manual. My coupe has 10,000 miles on it now. Just filled up today ($2.80 a gallon in Madison, Wisconsin) my last tank of gas got 39.95 miles per gallon. I drive 35 miles each way to work, 80% 4 lane highway, the rest city.

I use my cruise control whenever possible, drive close to the posted limit, and watch my acceleration and braking to avoid wasted fuel. The absolute worst I have ever gotten with this Civic is 32 MPG, and that was basically driving like an idiot, just testing the car in "real world conditions" like most of the people in the Madison area do.

This is my 4th new Honda in 18 years. My others were a 1989 Honda Accord Ex Coupe, a 1990 Honda CRX Si (the most fun I have ever had on 4 wheels) and a 1994 Honda Civic EX Coupe. I never checked the mileage on the '89 Accord, but the CRX did 38 to 46 MPG consistently, the '94 EX Coupe got high 30's to low 40's always.

That one thing that has impressed me with Honda over the years (besides the quality of there cars) is their ability to achieve a MPG higher than what is stated on the window sticker, I have always been able to do better than what they say the vehicle will.
  • usmcandersenusmcandersen Member Posts: 4
    my 98 has almost 150,000 in it and i just took a road trip to mich from carolina 881 miles best tank 36 worst tank 34 all highway anywhere from 65-90 mph.
  • keswickkeswick Member Posts: 3
    first tank from the dealership 44.99mpg. mixed 35%city, 65%highway. temperature in 90's with air set at 71F, on recycle. some cruise control at 70mph in the hill country central texas. i am very pleased so far. :)
  • beetlebatbeetlebat Member Posts: 11
    Just filled up after the first oil change, 37mpg on my commute. I leave early and miss some traffic, but still spend about 10 minutes in school traffic dropping off junior. Then lots of stoplights and some heavy traffic with some cruising between from 40-50 mph. About 25 miles to work, then usually go out to lunch. Average day with Walmart trips is 75-90 miles a day.
    I had hoped for 35, very happy that under 6k miles I'm getting this mileage. Still room for improvement as it fully breaks in. Not much a/c yet, so we'll see what happens when the brutal summer heat arrives.
    My mileage has been 30 mpg or better since new. Going up to 32, then 35 after a trip, now 36.5 and 37. I would have expected mileage like this only with a manual trans.
    So, I'm happy, love the car. Just need leather and power seats!
  • casifancasifan Member Posts: 7
    yeah my totals are close to yours also. i dont know how every one else is getting such great gas mileage :cry:
    and i dont drive crazy or anything.
  • crissmancrissman Member Posts: 145
    Finally got some pure highway numbers for my '06 EX automatic. Heading from NC to Pittsburgh a 400 mile stretch came in at 42 mpg. On return leg a 280 mile section showed 44 mpg. The average speed was about 65 for both. Light load, one person, no A/C needed. I was kind of amazed that it actually exceeded its EPA rating.
  • butterflyjonesbutterflyjones Member Posts: 72
    Just wanted to ask does your Civic have the "lugbug" and do you find it annoying. Does it increase in vibration as the car gets more miles on it??? Hope you continue to get good mpg's as the break in period continues. :) :shades: :D
  • beetlebatbeetlebat Member Posts: 11
    Butterfly,
    Yes, I noticed the noise early in my car. I notice it mainly when cold, leaving my subdivision which is hilly and has a slow speed limit. It seems to have gotten better.
    But, it doesn't bother me at all mainly because I know Honda will take care of any problem. They have before, I'm confident they will again.
    I just finished my third tank. And I got 31 just because I had a road trip in there. I have not seen the big numbers either. But I do know that Honda engines take awhile to break in so to speak. 95% of my driving is stop and go lights. So I expect lower numbers but still wish to see a mid 30's mpg. I cannot wait till I get the first oil change over then I will put synthetic oil in the it always bumps up my fuel economy. Good luck
  • hauvishauvis Member Posts: 2
    Auto Civic EX consumer reports MPG data:
    CU's overall mileage, mpg 28
    CU's city/highway, mpg 18/43
    CU's 150-mile trip, mpg 34

Manual Civic EX Consumer reprots MPG data:
    CU's overall mileage, mpg 31
    CU's city/highway, mpg 22/40
    CU's 150-mile trip, mpg 37

the majority of my driving will be on the freeway at around 75-80mph with no traffic. I have always owned manual cars but was considering the auto. The EPA ranks mpg in the auto higher on the freeway. The only way this makes sense to me is if the auto is at a lower rpm lets say at 75mph than the manual. Does anyone know the RPM at 75mpg for both cars?
  • hauvishauvis Member Posts: 2
    I forgot to mention I was doing this research for the new 06 civic I plan on buying. Currently I have an 05 STI which gets 18-19mpg. But I have a good reason for the low mpg I have 350hp! and even more torque.
    how accurate are the bars? i reset my tripodometer at my last fillup, so far i went 250 miless and i have about one bar over a half tank. so according to my calculations that is about 45mpg. is that correct? or what?
  • crusher1crusher1 Member Posts: 9
    All my calculations for my 2006 Civic EX Auto (700 miles on odometer)is 29-30 MPG here in Vancouver Canada, with stop/go commuting traffic to work. I am only 7 miles away from my office so engine doesn't really have a chance to warm up. I fill up the gas to the "Brim" each time to get an extremely accurate amount of gas consumed. Is there any harm in filling it to the brim??
  • civicex05civicex05 Member Posts: 42
    how accurate are the bars? i reset my tripodometer at my last fillup, so far i went 250 miless and i have about one bar over a half tank. so according to my calculations that is about 45mpg. is that correct? or what?

They're never very accurate. The only way to get accurate MPG calculations is to record the number of gallons it takes to completely fill the tank, and divide this into the miles driven since the last fillup. I've kept a log in my car of every fillup, and the MPG on that tankful since the car was new. So far, my best results came on a road trip from Cincinnati to Michigan and back where I averaged 42.3 MPG. On that trip, I kept the speed to 72 MPH or less and did not use air conditioning.

David
    '05 Civic EX AT Sedan
  • mrcavemanmrcaveman Member Posts: 17
    First let me say I use the same station, the same pump, and stop filling the same each time. I purchase my 2006 in the middle of May and have about 1100 miles on it without any complaints.

My first trip was 298.9 miles and the mileage was 40.6 mpg. Speed averaged between 35 and 65 through small towns and no interstate.

My second trip was both interstate and county roads. The trip was 221.4 miles. Fuel used, 5.4 gal at 40.62 mpg.

Today I completed 210.3 miles, used 4.9 gal for 42.9 mpg.
    Again both interstate and county roads. Interstate speeds between 65 and 68 average. I haven't driven just in town to see what I was getting. Came close once and it was about 32 mpg. The key is always use the same station, the same pump etc if you are going to check. :blush: Happy with the results so far. I will post from time to time.
  • spdj20spdj20 Member Posts: 7
    I'm not sure if I'm calculating this right, but the tank capacity is 13.2 gal on my 06 coupe, I drive mostly city though on this tank I've driven twice on a 120 mile commute, with 2 bars left on the gauge I was at 330 miles, I was told once the light kicks on you have 30 miles left, if so that would put me at 360/13.2 only gives me a mpg of 27? is that right or is there another way to calculate it
  • slowpedalerslowpedaler Member Posts: 62
    The only way to accurately calculate mpg is divide number of miles driven by number of gallons to replace. For example; fill it up, drive 300 miles, then record how many gallons it took to fill it up again. Then you'll know how much gas you used to go 300 miles.

The "light means 30 to go" estimate sounds conservative. You'd probably be surprised how far it will go, but it's not good for the car to run it so low.

I average 32 mpg on a manual coupe. It sounds like the autos are doing much better.
  • hockeyfoolhockeyfool Member Posts: 30
    The milage you are getting is fantastic! Based on what I have read, it sounds like you are on the extreme end of the scale, although there have been a few other postings for all highway miles with MPG above 40. I wish I could say the same. I have had 4 fill ups since buyin my 06 EX sedan auto 3 weeks ago. My results are: 33mpg, 35 mpg, 33mpg and 32.5mpg. The last couple of fillups I was driving much less conservatively, hence the drop in MPG. I've been working hard this tankful to keep my speed down, slow starts and slow braking to see if I can increase my fuel efficiency. I will let you know the results. All in all, though, I am happy with the results so far, but I'll be even happier with better mpg.

BTW- I've run some numbers on cost savings by driving the civic vs. my Subaru Legacy GT wagon which I traded in. I religously got 24.5 mpg with the wagon. Based on my average miles/year of about 35,000 and gas at $3/gal, even at only 33 mpg with the civic, I save about $90 per month in gas. Add to the fact that I was having to put money into my subaru just about every month to keep it running (had 120k miles on it), its almost like getting paid to drive the civic!
  • rakadrakad Member Posts: 2
    I hate to say it, but after reading your post, I'm not feeling so all alone with the poor gas mileage I'm getting. I was told by my dealer that I am lucky to have received a "made in Japan" automatic EX sedan. He says that the ones actually made in Japan, have less problems than those manufactured here in the States.

Unfortunately, I'm getting about 292-294 miles per tank. The weird thing is that the gas hose clicks off at like 11 gallons or so. I thought the fuel tank capacity was 13.2 gallons. If I use the 11 gallon figure I'm getting around 26 or 27 miles per gallon. If I use the 13.2 gallon figure I'm getting around 23 or 24 miles per gallon. My "time to fill up" light turns on when there are 2 bars left. I've driven the car to where all the bars are gone, but I'm too fearful to just let it go empty and measure from there.

I'm disappointed, but since I traded my 2003 G35 Infiniti for the purpose of fuel economy, I have to admit I've accomplished this goal. Still, it concerns me that other Civic owners are getting tremendously better gas mileage.

I do mostly city driving, but I thought that's why the ads posted distinguish city mpg numbers from highway mpg numbers. In other words I anticipated getting 30 mpg consistently since I consistently drive in the City. I spoke to the salesman recently and he says to give it a couple of thousand miles. I've got 1400 miles on it now-so I'm still hopeful.

I also live in warm climate and the air conditioner runs cold during driving and slightly cooler than warm at idle;like at a red light. Anyone else, have this problem?

">
    i am getting better gas milage now. but i top it off. when i fill up my tank, i can add like another 2 gallons after that initial click. if i fill it to the brim. the milage is good if not then its not so good. i was up to 110 miles last time before that first bar went down.
  • dromedariusdromedarius Member Posts: 307
    One, overfilling your tank is a BAD thing. Your owner's manual should tell you how to fill your tank. I always fill my tank to two clicks, which is generally a second or two of filling after the first click.

Secondly, as other people have mentioned, you NEVER figure your gas mileage by guessing how much fuel is left in your tank. You reset your trip odometer each fill and divide the number of miles you've traveled by how much you've fueled up.

As one poster said, ideally you would fill at the same station on the same pump during the same time of the day (same temp and conditions), and while that is probably unrealistic for most of us, it's important to fill the car the same way each time. That will get you close enough.
  • mrcavemanmrcaveman Member Posts: 17
    I believe the real test for me is when winter gets here as my routine then will be mostly driving to the local dinner to share coffee and chat with friends. The dinner is only a mile away so the car will not even warm up by the time I reach the dinner. And I cut back on my travels in the winter. My concern is I hope that the "lug bug" issue stays away. No noise or vibrations yet and I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

One other note. I'm a conservative driver as I believe this is the way to improve your mpg. The fuel station I use is right at the corner of my house and this makes it easy to get to the same pump each time I need fuel. And I agree with the last post. Do not over fill the tank. Like I stated early, I use the first notch on the pump (the slowest setting) and when it clicks off I only and to the nearest hole numbers. Thanks for listening.
  • medic4txmedic4tx Member Posts: 18
    My Civic Sedan has 1400 miles and have been averaging about 31 mpg with 70% highway and the rest city. On a recent trip I was getting anywhere from 38-41mpg while using the AC. This is outstanding compared to what my Sonata was getting. :)
  • firstdaddyfirstdaddy Member Posts: 19
    Just got back from our trip to Disney World. From Indianapolis to Orlando was about 985 miles one-way. The car had about 8,000 miles on it before the trip, it now has a tad bit over 10,000 miles. Btw it is a 2006 EX with 5-speed auto. We had three adults and two children and a truck full of suite cases. We ran between 68mph to 76mph depending on what the speed limit was. Worst tank was 37.4mpg and the best was 38.8mpg. Cruised most of the way, and A/C was on the whole time. Very pleased with the car so far. Gotta love these little Hondas.

Rgs :)
    My last tank with 100% city driving with A/C on a couple of days was 32.7. 06 EX sedan AT 1770 miles. ;)
  • dfsdfs Member Posts: 2
    There are two ways to gather data to calculate your gas mileage; one short the other long.
    The short way is to fill the tank until the gas nozzle shuts off automatically; set your trip meter to zero; drive for a period of time; fill the tank and read the trip meter then divide miles by gallons to get your mileage.
    The long way is to keep track of the number of gallons every time you put gas in and the number of miles from the odometer over several times putting gas in the tank (not necessarily full). Take the most recent odometer reading, subtract the earliest reading then divide by the sum of all the numbers of "fills" in gallons to get your mileage.
    I have found over the years that when a gas guage says half full you may be at one third full or over half full. In other words gas guages are not all that accurate.
  • crusher1crusher1 Member Posts: 9
    If you saw the shape of the gas tank you would understand why the gas guage is not exactly correct when it says you have 1/2 tank. I keep getting around 29 MPG or 10L/100kM(Canadian) city driving..
  • maleko42maleko42 Member Posts: 3
    I've had my 2006 EX Coupe MT for about 6 mos.
    City driving mostly averaging between 28 and 29 mpg.
    Although my last fill up was 31 mpg!!!
    I don't drive much highway (only twice), and both those fillups were around 40mpg.

My wife has a 2006 LX 4dr AT for about 1 mos.
    City driving has been disappointing around 25mpg :( .
    (I think I might have to drive her car for a couple of weeks to confirm if it's her heavy foot or not) ;) .
    But just took a highway trip and fillup was 43mpg which was
    probably 95% highway 5% city.
    (of course I drove this trip) :D
  • hockeyfoolhockeyfool Member Posts: 30
    Last fillup over about 280 miles with 70% highway was 35.2 mpg. I've got about 1600 miles on my 06 ex sedan.
  • spdj20spdj20 Member Posts: 7
    ok so this time I filled up on monday morning drove about 130 miles all highway, and the rest ended up at 158.5 miles, i filled up last night to a dissapointing 27 mpg :confuse: shouldn't i be up in at least the 34-38 range if not higher? Between the issues with my a/c the random timing issues I'm really starting to think i have a :lemon: My 2006 LX coupe is only 2 months old with just over 2000 miles on it, what gives?
  • rakadrakad Member Posts: 2
    I feel you. I thought I would get better mileage too. (See my June 9th post). What's your a/c issue?
  • sd70acesd70ace Member Posts: 1
    I have a 06 EX Coupe I'm getting 33 to 35 city (if I keep my foot out of it :)) The only modification i have made is a K&N stock replacment filter.
  • dfsdfs Member Posts: 2
    What type body is your car? sedan or coupe? Is the transmission automatic or standard? I don't know where you live north or deep south, but try your 288 mile trip with the A/C off. You did mention problems with the A/C that may be the problem. I know that in my 2001 Civic sedan, with 5 speed manual, in the summer I can drive 700 kilometres on one fill-up. That is highway driving through a large park with lots of hills. (700 km = 442 miles) the tank took 37 litres or 37/4 = 9.45 gal US for 46.8 mpg (converted to US figures)
    Added info: cruise control used for 90% of the trip
    A/C used 100% of trip
    speed limit is 55 mph (90 km/h)
    2 adults only
    Bottom line...I agree you should be getting at least 40 mpg
  • dbrosdbros Member Posts: 81
    Well, I sure hope you use the "severe" maintenence schedule, for your car's sake!

What do you mean severe maintenance? :confuse: The redline that I'm talking about here is not the rpm but the gasoline redline. ;) And if you have done that before and filled up your tank it's only around 11+ gallons and to think of it you have 13.2 gallons in your civic. :P

Well lately I have been religious in re setting my trip meter every time I filled up my tank and I'm having an average 30 mpg city driving. :)

I already have 25,700 miles on my car and it has really improved my mpg compared to when i was breaking in my car. Hope it gives some sense to those of you who just bought their car.
  • psypsy Member Posts: 122
    I cant complain about MPG at all in my Civic EX Sedan 5MT, Navi. I dont know how some are getting such awful mpg. My worse tank was the 3rd one rat racing, 0-60 runs, driving around with the windows down and the A/C on. Ive drivien the car from hard to hypermiling and have logged tanks from 29 mpg to 50.5 mpg. took a trip to PHX. with awful head winds CC set at the speed limits. PHX city driving a run down to Mexico and also to the Grand Canyon we still managed 38 to 39 mpg.

Its all in my gas log here http://www.gassavers.org/garage.php?do=viewgaslog&id=94

If folks are driving like my wife does in her 05 Accord then no wonder there mpg is bad. :P

Ive also been filling my tank all the way up. And yes i can cram 2 more gallons in it after pump clicks off. Ive also went 20 plus miles after no bars left on the gas gauge. The farthist ive gotten on a tank was a bit over 600 miles. A/C does deliver a blow on MPG in this car. Mine drops a soild 3 to 4 mpg with the A/C on.

Seeing that honda saw fit to rip us Navi folks off with no trip computer built into the Navi I bought a ScanGauge. This thing will let you know right what your mpg is doing in realtime or in current, daily or tank ave's.

IMHO I think Honda has went out of there way to make a engine that gets good MPG for dummys. The R18 is in a class by itself. It has enough pep to make the landscape whiz right by, or one can choose to let up just a tad and enjoy near steller MPG.

Enjoy your Civic's,,, Im lovin mine. :shades: ">link title
  • roundtriproundtrip Member Posts: 105
    What do y'all think about OTC fuel additives like STP fuel treatment to increase MPG? It seems to cost about the same amount ($1.00) as buying a tank of mid-grade instead of low-grade (in AL.) But, I don't know if it injures the new Civic engine (non-hybrid.) I've used STP fuel treatment and STP fuel injector in my 2001 Chevy Lumina and experienced smoother idles. I didn't seem to get more MPG. Of course, I don't know squat about car engines and tend to believe what is written on the back of a product. I was just curious.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    I was counting the bars on the fuel guage & I got 20 bars from F to E, or 10 bars per 1/2 tank. Anyone else count their's? Am very pleased with my 1st tank so far even with the a/c on. At least 6 mpg's better than the '03 Sentra I had. Am a very happy camper here!

The Sandman :)