Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Real World MPG

Comments

• kennethrkennethr Member Posts: 13
    Eldaino,
    I am certainly one of those "who complain" about my Honda Civic. I probably wont continue to complain as it seems there isn't any point doing so: I have been had! Perhaps sometime in the future Honda will be forced to at least publish their own test m.p.g. and be held accountable. Or at least be limited in the language they are allowed to use in describing the Civic as an "economy car". Dissatisfied Honda Civic owners like myself seem to have no recourse as there "Isn't anything mechanically wrong with your car". In the meantime Honda gets to take over market lead by false advertising. By the way is this just a site for those that want to sing Honda's praises?
    All I can do it seems is to vote next time with my wallet and to tell everyone who will listen about my lousy experience with Honda. KennethR
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    Well in truth, which top 5 (besides Honda) can you point, given the complex scenario in which you drive your vehicle/s; promise and deliver better!? I have already hinted at a few, but then the host shot down one: diesel off limits!?
  • harvey44harvey44 Member Posts: 178
    Hilarous. In a whiny kinda way.
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    I think some of these guys are suffering from a terminal case of driver induced low mpg syndrome.
    I should point out that my 32 mpg city is really suburbs. (A recent poster mentioned this and it's true at least for me.)

I STILL CANNOT BELIEVE that if you take an 06 or 07 out on the highway, drive steadily at 65 mph that you can't get at least 38. That just doesn't make any sense.

YMMV. :)

PS what does SWAG mean?
    Scientific Wild A-- Guess.
  • eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    Perhaps sometime in the future Honda will be forced to at least publish their own test m.p.g. and be held accountable.

yes, and when they do, every single auto manufacturer will have to be doing the same thing. ;)
    ..."Perhaps sometime in the future Honda will be forced to at least publish their own test m.p.g. and be held accountable. "...

Again, they already do. That is why I mention folks should read their own new car sticker (Honda or otherwise) that comes with every new car. Or read the so called fine print on cars that you actually ARE considering. It IS already there!!??

On a ..."2004 Civic EPA of 29 City / 38 Highway, the actual mileage... City: 24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34. Highway: 32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44, Compact between 13-48 city and 19 to 51 highway."...
  • tseoshtseosh Member Posts: 26
    72 mph average on hwy, city miles are gentle- not stop-and-go, and yes, I get up in the 7k rpm range a couple times/day
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    Well most of what has been said about covers it...the "old" EPA sticker is an estimate derived from a flawed test proceedure and is,in most cases,optimistic by varying degrees. The "new" EPA numbers, from what I have seen, seem to be more realistic though there will still be complaining. Individual manufacturers probably do internal fuel economy testing but the EPA is the clearinghouse for all makes and models. Fuel economy WILL vary depending on a myriad of factors. There will still be those who swear they get 40+ mpg and those who complain they don't. The best anyone who cares more about fuel economy than blistering performance can do is pick a vehicle within this class (Civic,Corolla,Elantra etc.)and as before use the EPA sticker (new) for a rough idea of which MAY be best for you.
    Now I am convinced that Honda has infiltrated this site! KennethR
    in what sense? you are on a civic thread....
    I say that the site is compromised by Honda because of all of the detailed and breathless apologies that are posted in defence of the poor performance of the Honda Civic, KennethR
    sorry to dissapoint you. Not all civic thread are filled with complaints about the car...some people actually like it.

Again, its a honda thread.
    Now I am convinced that Toyota has infiltrated this site! Harvey44
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Let's get back to the subject - we're talking about the Civic's fuel mileage here.

Certainly some may feel they are not getting the economy they expected. We'll be glad to discuss tips for improving the economy, but there is no reason to accuse anyone here of - essentially - being dishonest.
  • beetlebatbeetlebat Member Posts: 11
    Remind me not to hit enter until I'm through...Anyway, 2006 Civic Ex AT, just over 22K miles. I've gotten from 30 to 39 on my commute that is about 26 miles each way, Suburban cruising with heavy traffic on both ends, never above 45mph and lots of redlights. It takes me almost an hour. The new Civic AT gets it's mileage on the taller final gearing, so if you don't ever get up to speed for long, you won't get the mileage. My daughter's '04 Civic coupe is geared for 2000rpm at 50mph ( same as '06 MT, I think). 2006 AT is going 62-63mph at 2000rpm. So at 45mph I'm cruising at 1350rpm's or so. Mine just loosened up a bit and is allowing me to accelerate in lower gears and climb hills without downshifting as much. With a lite foot, generally keeping the tach under 2k except for 1st and 2nd, my mileage has gone from 33-34 in the bitter cold that just ended to 35,36,37 three times and now 39mpg. At 5K miles I took two interstate trips and got 40 with air and 44 without. I love the car and wouldn't trade it for anything right now. I still own my '98 Jetta TDI but would not buy another VW due to the local dealer, they are criminals. I'm tired of working on my own cars, so we have four Honda's and one VW (to hone my mechanics skills) in the driveway. I don't want to start bashing VWs, since my 98 has been an exceptional car. However, I had a 2001 Beetle 2.0L auto and was on a first name basis with two VW dealers. All kinds of problems with that car, but my 98 is still chugging along at 53 mpg right now. I'll keep it until the turbo blows, everything else I can fix!
  • rikrakrikrak Member Posts: 31
    :surprise: MPG on my (about) 2,500 mile trip. Purchased my 2007 LX Coupe about mid-February I got "okay" milage but as others have said not the 30 City 40 Highway I dreamed of. I was getting about 28 mpg in "mixed" driving so I was not upset, for me that's good but not great for the first 1,500 miles. Last week I headed for South Padre Island about a 1,200 mile drive and noted on the way down an average of about 36 to 37 mpg (seemed to be improving each fill up) by the time I returned home with just a tad over 4,000 miles total I was always over 38 but under 39 mpg. This was 99% "Highway" but was not always big Interstate as on the way down and in both directions I was NOT driving for economy just my normal (just a tad over legal) 75 mph (or so). I sure don't work for Honda. I would like better fuel economy but this IMHO was very good. I'm convinced NOT using the Cruise Control could really have been a benifit from a MPG standpoint as the car seemed to drop down and "punch it" more than I would have when it got a bit below my set point speed. However, the Cruise Control is just so nice to have on long trips and in fairness some areas had some pretty steep terrain for the little 1.8 to deal with. I've since switched to synthetic oil and that might tweak my highway milage a tad, however, at this time I don't have anymore "long" trips planned until a repeat SPI trip this summer. I should note on the way down as it was unusually warm and muggy :cry: I ran the air for defrost about 80% of the time. By comparison on return I ran the air only for maybe the first 15% of the drive. :shades:
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    The cruise control has been updated in all Hondas to be more responsive than it used to be. My 2006 Accord will downshift in a heartbeat if the speed drops off by 2 MPH or more, or if I press the "ACCEL" button. My 1996 LX Accord on the other hand has dropped as much as 6-8 MPH before finally getting in the process of catching back up to speed, and only in rare RARE instances will it downshift. It NEVER downshifts above 50 MPH. Good for economy, but bad for keeping up with traffic. It's a tradeoff.

Averaging close to 39 MPG with A/C on, hilly terrain, and speeds above 70 MPH is very good, especially with the downshifting from the cruise control.

Your mileage sounds normal to me. Enjoy your Civic!
  • tysalphatysalpha Member Posts: 51
    Hi all, just got my 07 EX Coupe two weeks ago. I've only filled it up twice so far.. the first time I got 31 mpg, and the second 28. I drive about 25 miles a day, about two-thirds of which are freeway and the rest city streets. I was a little surprised by the 28 on the second fill-up, but I do live in St. Louis where it's humid already, so I had the AC on more than I would if I was really trying to conserve. In any case, it's much better than the ~20 mpg I was getting in my old car! :)
  • piasonpiason Member Posts: 55
    BS - sure you are and the rest of us on a similar commute get 25 - 28 mpg. You civic has one of those experimental engines. :surprise:
    My experiences are not unlike yours. Just this last fill up after the commute, the mpg was 41 mpg. Pretty much just another week.

I just got back from Las Vegas, and the return leg was 50 mpg on a Jetta TDI. I probably could have gotten 52-54 mpg if I used the left lane more.?! :)
  • rupnok1rupnok1 Member Posts: 29
    yeah, you told me I had an 'experimental engine' back in Dec, and in october you suggested that '[I] must be rolling [my] car down a hill with the engine off.'

over 13.5k miles my average mileage is 37.1 mpg and has stayed there for the past month or so.

sorry you didn't get one of the experimental motors too... ;)
    If your "average" is 37.1 it stands that you get something near the middle 40's as a high and the lower 30's as a "low". I must NOT have had one of those experimental engines installed either. Are you sure your Civic doesn't say "hybrid" somewhere on the read deck???
    if his driving habits are epa test-exact, and he drive nothing but highway, then it doesn't have to say hybrid. :)
    the rest of you must have done something to upset mr. Honda. So you gave you what you got. :P
    Having seen the (old) EPA test standards if he tried to drive at those speeds he would have been run over long ago. The "highway" portion of the test specifies something stupid like a 46 mph ave. and the city portion is done on a dyno inside a building where traffic..weather...and all other pesky situations real world drivers have to deal with don't exist. They collected the exhaust gasses and measured them and extrapolated fuel economy from that....some test!!
    Yeah, I guess one COULD get 43+ if he/she chose to creep the slow lane at 50 or 55 mph but watch the rear view very carefully for those Peterbuilts running at 70-75+ mph they close quickly at that speed differential. "What great fuel economy" could be on your very own tombstone.
    I maintain you will NOT get 43mpg in a Civic driven at a normal semi-safe speed on any highway in America where traffic flows at 70-75 mph on up.
    It is pretty obvious that you do not. !:)

Longer trip highway speeds at 80-95 yields higher 30's. This was with two different drivers.
    OK - Go to this link half way down you will see a chart with the new 2008 Civic mileage ratings. All the owners who were claiming 35 to 44 mpg city/hway are not correct. It's time to come out and tell the truth as indicated in the new 2008 mpg ratings. The 2008 ratings are right on with what I've been getting and several civic owners I spoke with.

link --> http://www.edmunds.com/advice/fueleconomy/articles/119812/article.html
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    So, basically you're calling lots of posters in this forum liars. I'm not sure thats a great idea. Good luck with that. After my folks got 40 MPG driving to Oklahoma (700 miles one way) in their 2007 Civic 5AT, I think it'd be better to say "Your mileage may vary."

Driven in the old testing manner, you'll get the same numbers. Driven the way the new tests are done, you'll get those type of numbers.

You don't have to be so accusatory just because your results/driving style don't match others'.
    I am not claiming 35 to 44 mpg with a 2008 Civic! :) I have not driven one, have you?

But I have said (38-42 mpg daily commute) with a 2004 Civic in a few past posts. Will the 2008 Civic ratings change what I have gottenon the 2004?

(No, of course not)

So what about MPG RANGE do you NOT understand!!??

(see my past posts about new car sticker posting of RANGE)
    Since wind resistance increases with speed there comes a point at which the vehicle requires greater and greater power to sustain speed and overcome this resistance. There is a "sweet spot" at which any vehicle gets its best highway fuel economy. Naturally the size and shape of each vehicle dictates its coefficient of wind resistance and an SUV isn't going to be as great as a Corvette however it is generally quoted this "sweet spot" is between 65-72 mph or so(+/- a few MPH). So,your road speed of 80 to 95 MPH clearly exceeds any speed where one could expect to get fuel economy anywhere near the high 30's so my B.S. meter is now...pegged! BING...BING...BING. I am not even taking into consideration the comparatively high RPM at which the engine is running at that speed. High speed is NEVER good for good fuel economy so how do you expect me to believe that you can get high 30's at 95 MPH when I got 37 mpg at 72 MPH on our last highway trip...it only goes downhill as speed goes up. I ain't quite that dumb!! However,I know you also own a diesel Jetta and I may...may mind you... concede upper 30 mpg could be possible with that at 80+ MPH but I own a 2006 Civic and I can assure you it is NOT possible with that. So depending what vehicle you are making that statement about may recalibrate my BS meter.
    ..."I ain't quite that dumb!! However,I know you also own a diesel Jetta and I may...may mind you... concede upper 30 mpg could be possible with that at 80+ MPH but I own a 2006 Civic and I can assure you it is NOT possible with that. "...

Are you speaking of wind resistance to explain why I DO get high 30's? :) Same principle of wind resistance that works on your Honda Civic works on my Honda Civic!!?? :)

But it would seem that more wind, i.e., hot air, is blowing my way than yours! :)

I am not the one casting aspersions on your intellect.

I have previously posted the Jetta TDI mpg, repeating it will probably serve no purpose.
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    Actually wind resistance increases exponentially w/ speed. Wind resistance is always there. Wind resistance is there at 5mph and at 70mph. It is much more noticeable at 70 because of its exponential increase. There is no "sweet spot" the best mileage is obtained at the slowest speed you can cruise in top gear. Please don't lug your engine! In the course of my bass fishing I have occasion to drive roads less traveled and got my best towing mileage(26)@ 50mph in my V6exl Accord. There was no traffic to worry about. So safely slower is always better.
    raise your hand if you are one of the people who bought a civic for its gas milage and were expecting the epa's EXACT numbers, don't get them, and then blame honda. (75% of civic owners on this forum should be raising their hands now. :blush: )

Agree with grad; calling people flat our liars is not going to get you much praise. Unless you make it a point to travel every day with ever civic owner and calculate their milage with them....you can't call them liars.(i could do the same and call out all the 'bad mileage civic owners' and ask them to come clean about how they may be flooring it all the time, drive for 5 miles a day and have the a/c blasting all the time. :P )

I wont get into epa testing procedures, i know how they are done thanks, so i'll just give some more real world experience AGAIN;

26-28 in the city, 36-38 on the highway.

I had my civic for a year, when me and my wife were still engaged, and she lived almost 3 hours away. I'd see her every weekend and drove over there QUITE often. I never saw anything below 36mpg and averaged REGULARLY 38 with mild a/c in about 70 degree weather.

So my ratings of 28/38 are on par with the old epas numbers (30/40) and with the new ones:

25/36.

I've encountered a similar scenario with my rabbit.

I average highway driving about 27 mpg. The old epa's numbers are 22/30, the new ones are 19/28.

I'm right on par with it.

Just because you are on the lower end of the mileage spectrum doesn't mean that your civic is doing anything wrong.

Geez. Lets get over it people.
    I would agree! As folks have probably gathered, I do not drive to get max mpg!!! :) I even wonder what the mpg would be if I did. :)

I got 62 mpg on the Jetta TDI,for ONE fill up. Watching paint dry was like watching a blood sport in comparison. :) It also leaves one exposed to road hypnosis. :( I would not recommend it, but it is do able.
  • gpkgpk Member Posts: 38
    I have a 06 civic ex with the 5at. When I am on the highway I can average 40 easily and I do not baby the car either. But during the winter in town my mileage really drops I once got 19 mpg versus 31 with ac on in the summer. I have noticed that the newer honda's are affected by cold temps. And the winter blend. Years ago I had a cutlass supreme and no matter what that always got 24 mpg. I think that honda engines are really subjective to the outside temp, which fuel blend summer vs winter and driving style. My first civic a 92HB routinely got 35mpg+, 97 accord was lucky to hit 30 on the interstate both were MT. I had an 05 accord with the AT with 23 city and 38 highway. My point is if you are gonna drive it like you stole it the cars will get up and go but your mileage will tank. It all revolves around driving style and outside temps. What you get for mileage is based on the cars driving environment, not the car itself. You will never get good gas mileage when you are in stop and go traffic. On the highway at 70 with cruise its pretty hard not to get in the mid to upper 30's. Except if you are trying to pull an andretti.
    Nope...I'm using wind resistance as a reason, possibly one of the main ones, why it is NOT possible. Yep, the principle of it works on mine too which is why I'll never get that mileage at that speed.
    I don't see anywhere in my post the word liar. That being said, I asked approx 20 2006/2007 honda civic owners about their gas mileage. Everyone's mpg --> city = 26 & Hway = 34. I live in a heavy traffic area, so the people on this forum who are claiming 30+mpg city and 40+ Hway must live in a flat, no traffic, no lights area.
    Well I think you have a very practical approach to the discussion points.

To sum it up, yes there are a plethora of variables, all working at once and differently at almost all times. But really, that is not what we are talking about, as you probably would agree.

One very small example is there are literally over a dozen unleaded regular fuel blends. In turn this is just ONE variable, that can and does cause differences.

So with variables in mind, that is why I post a range when I say I get 38-42 mpg in the "same" daily commute. This is NO guarantee that even I would get the same, the next tank full or whatever, let alone someone else. Hopefully it is used in the spirit it was offered, so one can adapt it to their own driving situation. (and not also)
    Well, nothing magical here in this environment! :)
    By sweet spot I mean the best fuel economy at a practical semi-legal and safe cruising speed. Obviously, or maybe not,I didn't mean driving at 35 MPH on any interstate or most rural/suburban surface two lanes either since you WILL be run over by everyone on the interstate and almost everyone on the surface roads. So there IS a practical and semi-legal speed at which you will both get good fuel economy and still avoid death by semi. It will not be the ultimate fuel economy the vehicle is capable of if driven stupidly slow but the best taking safety, traffic flow, and common sense into account. This is what I call "the sweet spot". Higher speeds as you point out does nothing for good fuel economy.
    "I live in a heavy traffic area, so the people on this forum who are claiming 30+mpg city and 40+ Hway must live in a flat, no traffic, no lights area. "

While that would be a reasonable hypothesis, it is not true in my case. The roads traveled are considered the worst in the whole NATION, as rated by traffic folks. My sotp is we are as congested (lower speeds) as LA during rush hours. Indeed LA traffic moves at higher speeds. The place is a rolling parking lot or a parking lot that rolls during RUSH hour. The commute is so called "flat" as it is at most 50 feet above sea level. But at the same time would you consider "flat" flat at 4,000 feet?
    Depends. On the trip that I last got 50 mpg I was passed while I was going 85/65 mph zone in the "SLOW" lane by a Sheriff's car in the #1 lane, in full prowler mode. Normally the fast or #1 lane is slower, but I think most folks tried to get out of his way due to the color of authority? I could be wrong. :)
    I fail to see what it is you are saying. The principle is the same everywhere...the faster you go the more air you push...the more the engine has to work to maintain a high speed pushing against all that air resistance...the more fuel you use trying to go 90 mph with the engine buzzing a couple of thousand RPM faster in order to push against all that air resistance (and because it runs faster at 90 than 60 mph anyhow). Simple
    "I fail to see what it is you are saying. The principle is the same everywhere...the faster you go the more air you push...the more the engine has to work to maintain a high speed pushing against all that air resistance...the more fuel you use trying to go 90 mph with the engine buzzing a couple of thousand RPM faster in order to push against all that air resistance (and because it runs faster at 90 than 60 mph anyhow). Simple "

No I think you see it. Yup, it is very simple. You said it in a past post and I agreed with you. You say it again in this post and why do you think I now disagree with you!? Let me SWAG that using your example of 60 mph rather than higher, I would probably get more like 56-62 mpg. I obviously got less at the higher speed; 50 mpg.

So you are probably wondering why I am talking of a TDI rather than the 2004 Honda Civic? Well at those speeds, I would only get MAX high 30's rather than 50 mpg . See I agree with you, the Civic IS a gas guzzler!!! :)
    It isn't like I am arguing an unknown theory here, it isn't like I never drove a 2006 Civic but simply just like to argue for the sake of it. The fact of the matter is I own a 2006 EX sedan 5 speed automatic and have since Nov 1 2005. We have since put about 7 thousand miles on it in both summer and winter. It is driven in a mostly small city/town environment with not a lot of gridlock a couple of traffic lights and a rush "minute" every day. Although my wife drives it mostly to and from work and "running around" I am the one who fills the tank and I am the one who computes fuel economy and I can assure everyone I can do the math. 21-23 mpg winter and 24-25 mpg summer. On one of the few long trips during warm weather 37.7 mpg @ a cruise locked at 71 mph. I look forward to a couple more long trips to see if 40 is possible if I slow to 65 mph. 45, 46, 48 mpg is a pipe dream as far as I am able to determine at even a legal 65 mph. You can accuse me of driving too fast..driving too slow..not driving at all (wife does most of it with this car)...not having the right environment...whatever,this is what I get and it is approximates what I believe the car is most likely to deliver for most users. The end.
    I think rather than "give up," you might swap cars with a friend for a tank full (whatever that might mean to you) and see how it compares with your Civic. I would SWAG your Civic will do better than MOST cars.
  • gpkgpk Member Posts: 38
    I got the 31 mpg during the summer with slow starts. My city is fairly mixed, I have hills and I have flat stretches. When I get 40+mpg its on a semi-hilly stretch. But I can see your point. I realistically could see maybe 44 with the psi in my tires @ around 40+. I keep them at 38 psi I am afraid to go higher cause I really do not need a blowout at highway speeds. I had one at 35 and I thought that was bad enough. With my car I am still within range and I think all civics are capable of my range.
  • stallionrestallionre Member Posts: 205
    My new 2007 Mazda S Grand Touring gets 28 city and 35 Highway, but then again, I only use premium gas. I drive an average speed and I never slam on the gas or the brakes like some. I am very happy with this car, more than any other cars that I owned, which was a lot of different models and makes.