Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Pilot Real World MPG

Comments

• jeffinvajeffinva Member Posts: 6
    Hello kingfans1,

I have a 2WD Pilot. We avg right around 24 MPG on straight hwy trips during the warmer months (march-nov). I'm in richmond, VA and the trips i take in the colder months (dec-feb) usually AVG around 22.5. Most trips are with a family of 4 (2 adult-sized teenagers). Of course when I'm sitting in heavy traffic for a super long-time, that changes things some. We have 29k on the pilot so far. Its been great.

I have also had (2) 400 mile round trips on I95 from Richmond, VA to Baltimore during the summer where I got 26.8 MPG. It obviously doesn't match an accord but I think its great for the size of the pilot. I have always just used 87 octane.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I don't think I'd use a commercial for Shell as proof. I do note that, at least here in Alabama, Shell is one of the only gas station chains that makes you pay for premium to get extra cleaning agents. Chevron, Texaco, BP, etc... all have extra detergents in all octanes; 87, 89, 93. No octane sold has more agents than another.
  • kingfans1kingfans1 Member Posts: 137
    ok. I think 24 mpg hwy is about right for your pilot. 17/23 according to Honda. I do understand it is 100% safe to use octane 87 on the pilot. just make sure the gas brand is from top tier.

I want to gain some HP/torque on my pilot. since all 2009 /2010 pilot have factory cold air intake already installed, so after market air intake is out of question.

i think 2011 pilot will get same hp/torque rating.
  • kipkkipk Member Posts: 1,576
    Thank you!

FROM THE SHELL LINK:
    For automotive enthusiasts with high compression, direct injected, turbocharged motors or for those drivers who expect the most from their car’s performance, there’s Nitrogen Enriched Shell V-Power®. As a high-quality premium gasoline, Shell V-Power boasts the highest concentration of the Shell Nitrogen Enriched cleaning system. With five times the cleaning agents found in fuels that only meet the EPA requirements, Shell V-Power is designed for those looking for maximum engine performance, especially for those with vehicles that recommend or require a premium gasoline.."

"All Shell gasolines meet TOP TIER standards and stop gunky build-up on critical engine parts to help cars perform at their best."

For high performance engines, requiring or recommending premium fuel they suggest using premium fuel. Honda recommends 87 octane. All Shell Gasolines meet TOP TIER standards.

Kip
    I think i will start using shell or chevron 87 octane for a year. lol.. I am getting my 2010 white pilot windows tinted... it will cost $275 for full vehicle tint. life time warranty. they will use metalized film. I am in Nevada. so i can have 35% front sides and 5% back/rear.

anyone have their car windows tinted? please provide some pictures..
    hi mr thegraduate,

you are wrong what you said in the post #1003. Honda cars are equipped with ‘Knock Sensors’ that detect the octane quality of the fuel used, enabling it to automatically adjust spark timing to prevent engine knocking.

honda have compact 4-valve combustion chambers and precise fuel injection and spark control..

so if you are using octane 91 or higher, your engine will always have the best spark timing.. and even if VTEC kick in..
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited March 2010
    "Using a fuel with a higher octane rating than the vehicle requires sends unburned fuel into the emissions system and catalytic converter. This puts unnecessary stress on the emissions system. For some vehicles, a rotten egg smell coming from the tailpipe signals use of too-high octane gas." (link)

That may not hurt your mpg, but it doesn't make sense to spend more for premium and get less.
    Thanks for the link, steve.
    edited March 2010
    >"you are wrong what you said in the post #1003. Honda cars are equipped with ‘Knock Sensors’ that detect the octane quality of the fuel used, enabling it to automatically adjust spark timing to prevent engine knocking. "

Your statement seems to suggest the sensors somehow chemically analyze the fuel itself. Therefore adjusting the timing ahead of time. Is that what you are saying?

Thanks,
    Kip
    edited March 2010
    I think it's more like the sensor watches for pinging and advances or retards the spark to compensate.

Too low an octane could cause pinging, so the sensor sends a signal to the ECU to change the timing (or throw a code).
  • poodog13poodog13 Member Posts: 320
    Recently drove round trip in my 2009 Pilot Touring from Pgh metro to DC metro areas, via I-68 through Cumberland, MD. Had cruise set at 75-80 through most of the trip, which winds up and down some pretty hilly terrain. Averaged 20 MPG's for the trip.
    yes sir, thats what I am talkin about.. Knock sensor mechanism device ensures that you're getting maximum performance for the lowest amount of gasoline. Cylinder pressure is also affected by the ignition timing: But the best power and efficiency are reached when the timing is advanced as far as it safely can be, just before knock starts to happen. A knock sensor helps the engine management to find this point: a sensor in the cylinder detects the intense shockwaves produced by knock as soon as they start to happen, and a signal is sent to the engine management, which in turn holds the ignition at a point where these shockwaves are only just occurring.
  • etroupetroup Member Posts: 7
    There is no difference in "Power" as expressed in BTUs between a drop regular gasoline and a drop of high octane gasoline. The only difference has to do with the resistance to pre-ignition. Higher compression engines, above 8:1 or 9:1 or so generally begin to require antiknock or anti pre-ignition additives.

However, it not correct to say that using premium sends unburned fuel into the emissions system. The exact same amount of fuel is used in both cases. It is just that in a lower compression engine, there is no benefit from the addition of antiknock additives.

Computer monitoring systems on modern engines can automatically adjust ignition timing and fuel injection timing to optimize engine output for a given fuel. Some engines that like to burn premium fuels can run on regular without damage because the computer adjusts its settings so as to avoid harmful knocking. These engines produce less power when running on regular - not because of the gasoline itself but because the engine computers have deliberately detuned it to avoid engine damage. Flexfuel or military multifuels are specific examples.

Using premium in a engine that requires only regular fuel does no harm but it is a waste of money.
    edited March 2010
    it not correct to say that using premium sends unburned fuel into the emissions system

All I know is what the Ph.D. in my link said. Somewhere I'm sure there's a link to counter that one. ;)

But we're in complete agreement that putting premium in an engine that only requires regular is a waste of money.
    I am not happy with the statement you say using preminum in an engine that only requires regular is a waste of money.

Most Pilot and Ridgeline owners getting 17 mpg on their truck....

I am a good driver using preminum octane and get around 21-23 mpg..sometimes i rev, activate the vtec. Lets do the math..

regular cost $3.03, preminum cost $3.25. Vehicle drive 20,000 miles.

17 mpg truck using regular , gas will cost $3564 for the 20,000 miles.
    21 mpg truck using preminum, gas will cost $3095 for the 20,000 miles.

so my point is I can still enjoy using preminum octane, keep an engine on top performance, and I am actually saving money for a being a good safe driver.. such as driving the post speed limit.. :)
    edited March 2010
    Try switching back to regular - your mpg may improve. :D

Mr_Shiftright, "What about fuel types & gas mileage?" #232, 15 Jun 2006 2:33 pm

Shifty also famously said "premium gas is not a doggie treat for your car".
    no. I will always use Preminum.. You can also gain 10 HP using preminum octane. Gary Flint from ridgeline forums point out the benefit of using preminum... I agree with his statement. If you want to read, i will send you a link..
    I'm comfortable running what my owner's manual recommends and I don't really want to buy a car that requires me to run premium.

I gained 10 hp when my van was new by throwing away the middle bench seat. If I could drop 30 pounds, I'd really be something to watch at the stop light drag races. :shades:
    I see many honda pilot owners doesn't want to spend any money on their truck.. not even on the preminum gas.. lol. if you go to RL forum, many rl owners are spending on accessories.. i should have get the rl.
    Your MPG is better due to other factors; driving style, terrain, and normal commute. Mileage doesn't get 25% better because you're burning a higher-octane gasoline. I'd bet money you'd get the same mileage as they do if you followed them to work every day, premium or not.

But... I don't have the extra few hundred dollars a year to literally burn through; I'd rather put that money towards new tires, a new phone, or a weekend trip!
  • kasrhpkasrhp Member Posts: 11
    Kingfans,
    Why dont you go through the next couple of fill-ups with regular, and see what comes out. I assure you that you will do no harm to your engine by using what Honda tells their owners to use. Plus, it would only be a couple of fill ups, so no harm no foul.

I dont understand you saying Pilot owners dont want to spend money on their vehicle by them running their Pilot by the book. If Honda required premium, Im sure we would put it in the Pilot. Just sayin.
    yes sir thats correct. I am the only driver in the car. 95% highway driving. I am very easy on gas, and never exceed 65 or 70 mph.

On my 2006 toyota camry v6 3.0L, I average 29.0 mpg, best 30.9 mpg, 5345 total miles.. ( all winter season during 2010). using chevron 87 octane.

2010 honda pilot. 4wd. average 20.0 mpg, best mpg 21.1, 3052 total miles driven.. using chevron or shell 91 octane..

I only have about 5000 miles on my pilot. oil life is still 50%.... The way I drive, I probably have to do first oil change at 10,000 miles..

I will try 87 octane, after I do my first oil change..
    hello I have a question.. according to the carsdirect 2009/2010/2011 honda pilot 0 to 60 acceleration is 7.1 seconds.. and according to insideline, they report 9.7 seconds..

I wonder if anything have to do with the brand of the gas, octane level, manual gear change, tire psi, temperature.. if anyone know, please share. thank
    Likely has most to do with traction available and the method used to launch.

Some car mags use brake-torquing, or do whatever possible to get the best possible time (even if hard on the drivetrain), where others simply pin the throttle and go.

That said, I've NEVER seen a time in the low 7s for a Pilot. Best time I've seen from a consistent source was in the 8s. Not slow, but not fast by today's standards, either; slightly slower than my 4-cylinder Accord.
    >"That said, I've NEVER seen a time in the low 7s for a Pilot. Best time I've seen from a consistent source was in the 8s."

Yep! 8.6 - 9.1 seems to be average for most articles I've read.
    edited March 2010
    >"yes sir thats correct. I am the only driver in the car. 95% highway driving. I am very easy on gas, and never exceed 65 or 70 mph.......
    ..........2010 honda pilot. 4wd. average 20.0 mpg, best mpg 21.1, 3052 total miles driven.. using chevron or shell 91 octane.. "

When I traded the 03 Pilot for the 09 Ridgeline I was told to not expect the same fuel mileage, because the RL is geared, and tuned to perform more truck like duties. The transmission also stays in gear much longer (forever :sick: ) before shifting up. Service manager said to expect 17 or so in local driving in our area, as that is what he gets. And he was spot on at first..

Now I'm averaging closer to 18 mpg. But the Pilot was getting 20. On the road at 60 mph the RL gets more in the 24 range and the Pilot got 27-28. At 65 the RL drops to 22 and the Pilot dropped to 25-26+. At 70 the RL drops to 20 and the Pilot dropped to 23-24. These figures are/were hand calculated.

The Pilot mileage reflected about 7 years and 40K miles. The RL only has about 2500 miles on the clock so far. Don't know if it will improve or not. Mileage did improve on the Pilot when I switched from bargain brands to Shell 87. I've only used Shell 87 in the RL.

Your mileage considering 95% highway and 65-70 doesn't seem to be spectacular.

Actually your mileage is about the same or slightly lower than my RL, and the Pilot is rated higher. I'm thinking you to be a fuel mileage conscious driver. So.. It is entirely possible that the Premium fuel is costing you mileage. ;)

Kip
    yea RL epa rate 15/20. so far you are getting 2 mpg less.. same thing with my pilot. epa rate 16/22. I am getting 20 mpg , 2 mpg less.

It doesn't matter how I drive, I am still getting 20 range.. Honda VCM is a joke.. without vcm is better for pilot. if you look up fuelly.com a few RL owners get 20.. mostly 17 18 19 range..

hopefully mpg will get better.. how do you like your RL.
    It doesn't matter how I drive,

Untrue statement right there. How you drive is the biggest factor in MPGs.
    >"yea RL epa rate 15/20. so far you are getting 2 mpg less.. "

Actually the RL is beating the EPA by 3 mpg city as it has been averaging 18 lately. It matches the EPA Highway of 20 at 70 mph. And beats it by 4 at 60 mph.

It gets less mileage (by 10-12%) than the 4wd Pilot did, under the same driving conditions. When the EPA re-did their ratings the revised 03 Pilot ratings became 15 city/21 highway. Same city as the RL and only 1 better Highway than the RL. Yet Pilot delivered much better across the board than the Ridgeline.

The '09 and '10 4WD Pilots are rated at 16/22. Point I'm striving to make is that this RL is getting equal to better highway mileage than your Pilot, at the same speeds, even though the Pilot is rated 2mpg higher. I'm thinking it could be the Premium Fuel is costing you mileage.

It can't hurt anything to try a few tanks of 87 Shell and see if anything changes. I truly believe the mileage with "87" will be the same at worse and maybe improve at best. :)

Mileages above reflect North-Central Georgia rolling hills, and cruise control on when possible.

Kip
    "how do you like your RL."

Mixed bag of emotions with the RL, as I have to compare it to the 03 Pilot we had for 7 years. Newer Pilots are probably much improved.

-Pilot got better fuel mileage.
    -Pilot ride was softer.
    -Pilot seats more comfortable.
    -Pilot had more room for 2nd row seat passengers. (Never used the 3rd row seats)
    -Pilot 2nd row seat backs would recline, where the RL seat backs are fixed.
    -Pilot engine and exhaust noise quieter inside the cabin.
    -Pilot transmission would shift positive at 2200 RPM. RL preferrs to wait until 3000 RPM or the shifts will be mushy and unsure if that is what it really wants to do.

-RL seems to corner better.
    -RL has less road noise. Although I understand the newer Pilots have less road noise than the 03 did.
    -RL engine seems more responsive.
    -RL tranny will up shift when conditions and speed are right, going up hill or down, where as the Pilot would not, no matter what I tried with the throttle. Example: If the Pilot downshifted, it would stay in that gear until reaching the top or bottom of the hill. RL will shift back up when conditions are right, while on the hill.
    -RL will lock the torque converter at 42 mph while the Pilot waited until 50.
    -RL 2nd row seat bottoms will tilt up for more floor srorage.
    -RL has storage under 2nd row seat.
    -Rl has more storage and cubby holes for the front seat occupants.
    -RL has 7 Pin Electrical connector, tows more and better tranny cooling than the Pilot did.
    -RL bed is convenient for trips to Home depot, fuel cans, hay, and such. So I don't have to hassel with the trailer as often.
    -RL has a unique look, and I get a lot of questions and favorable comments on it. Although some folks don't like the looks at all! :sick:

So...! For family stuff, people hauling, and driving comfort, the Pilot wins. For the utility that I need, the RidgeLine wins. :)
    Kip
    Thanks. Since I got my windows tinted, I have to downgrade the octane from preminum to regular..

chevron 87. 20.6 mpg ( method by hands). 40% driven in heavy snow).

mpg is about the same as using 91 octane.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/hondavtec/pilot

Happy Easter.
    I hope you will love your RL Have you drive on the snow yet?

My 2010 pilot 4wd did very well in the snow this winter.. I hope you have no problem in the snow. Honda make the best AWD. someone from ROC forum said RL 4wd is better than subaru wrx...

I will buy Honda Pilot 4wd in the future..
    We got one snow that "stuck" this winter. About 3" inches accumulated. It was real dry and powdery. No problem driving in it. But when It thawed somewhat during late day and the "wet" re-froze over night, the resulting ice became a bit of a problem for some drivers the next morning..

A friend with a "Hemi" powered Dodge Ram. was unable to meet with our usual group for Saturday morning breakfast, due to traction issues In his neighborhood.
    Our RL had no problems.

As a reference, during the 7 years that we owned the Pilot, we encountered several conditions where the 4WD was very useful and worked like a charm. My understanding is that the newer Pilots have even better traction control than the older models.

If I had my "Druthers", there would be a switch to convert the RL tranny shifting and torque converter operation from "truck" mode to the smoother shifting "Pilot" mode.

Happy Easter !

Kip
    Yes. I love Honda Pilot 4WD system.. My brother have 2008 4runner 4wd. He have to press the button to activate the 4wd . It is not safe. I don't know newer 4runner 4wd are automatic. Honda 4wd system is automatic... you don't have to press any button.

my pilot mpg on the computer show 22.3 mpg 110 miles driven.. the question is. from using 2nd tank chevron 87? car is broke in ( 5600 miles), or computer learn my driven techniques?

the answer is ??
    "my pilot mpg on the computer show 22.3 mpg 110 miles driven.. the question is. from using 2nd tank chevron 87? car is broke in ( 5600 miles), or computer learn my driven techniques?"

Some people believe the modern vehicle's engine and drive train takes 10K-20K miles to "Break In" completely, and MPG will increase accordingly. Others believe the "Break In" is pretty much done by 5K miles, and MPG doesn't improve much after that.

I believe our 03 Pilot's transmission controls had the ability to learn and relearn my driving style and shift accordingly. This '09 Ridgeline seems to have a mind of it's own and do what the heck it wishes. I don't know how the newer Pilots are programed.

FWIW our Ridgeline's mileage display seems to always be 5/10ths to 7/10ths miles per gallon optimistic at fill up time. Yesterday was typical. Display showed something like 19.3 mpg for the tank. Hand calculation revealed more like 18.7 mpg. Most of the miles driven on that tank were 4-6 mile trips with cold engine starts. There was one round trip of about 65 miles that involved stopping at 10 or so traffic lights and about 40 miles of freeway driving at 60 mph. Traffic was lite and moving well.

Kip
    I always beat EPA estimate with my 2006 camry v6.. I know I can do the same for the pilot.. hopefully after 1st oil change, tire psi 32, chevron 87 will achieve 22-24 mpg.

does elevation affect milage on the pilot?.. I am usually on elevation 5700 - 9000 ft.
    hi kipk, I just want to let you know don't use automatic car wash.. I wash my pilot with automaic car wash. the paint came out, and you can see the chips... so no auto car wash.
    >"does elevation affect milage on the pilot?.. I am usually on elevation 5700 - 9000 ft."

Driving in extremely hilly conditions, such as in the mountains can drag down mileage., But I don't know how or if relatively flat terrain at various elevation affects mileage.

Maybe someone with such knowledge can let us know.

Kip
    Higher elevation means thinner oxygen and less available power. I'd assume the ECM adjusts fuel down just like when an air filter is dirty and clogged, restricting airflow. It doesn't necessarily hurt mileage so much as available power.

That said, the denser air of sea-level will be easier on the engine than more than a mile up there, and I'd expect that mileage likely suffers a bit only because you have to open the throttle more to get the same acceleration as you would at lower level.
  • mtairyordgemtairyordge Member Posts: 144
    I recently purchased a 2011 touring 4WD and just filled up for the first time. It worked out that I got 20.2 MPG by my calculations. Mostly highway miles and bucolic country roads. Not Bad but I am hoping to do better.
    You are getting better mileage than the first tank in our Pilot or Ridgeline.

If the 1st "Full" tank came from the dealer, it may not have been full. Your present tank will likely be better than the first, due to some of the drive train parts and pieces beginning to be a little more polished, resulting in less friction.

To keep the best track of tank to tank mileage, always fill up at the same pump. Run the pump nozzle at the slowest setting to create as little turbulence as possible, and when the handle clicks off. STOP!. Forcing extra fuel does nothing for MPG, but can cause problems with the fuel system evaporative. recovery system. (I think that's what it's called)

Back roads are excellent for breaking one in, especially if hills are involved. Hills cause the tranny to shift more often and the RPM to fluctuate. You don't want to hold a steady RPM for long periods during the first 600-1000 miles.

At 600 miles I like to "Gently" east the throttle down enough to allow 3000 RPM before shifting to 2nd and to 3rd. At 700 miles go to 3500 RPM for the 1st 2 gears. At 800 miles I find a safe place where I can ease up to 20 mph or so, then quickly push the throttle to the floor, allowing the tranny to automatically shift back to 1st gear. Hold that until the vehicle shifts to second, Then let off and drive normal. Then I usually say WOW! :shades:

Good luck,
    Kip
    I hope you will do better. my 2010 pilot 4wd average 20.1 mpg, about 5600 miles..

I always check the engine oil level too. it is important.
  • thomasr1950thomasr1950 Member Posts: 76
    How do i reset the mpg gauge on my EX-L? It stays around 15.9 whether hwy or city. Manual doesn't cover it very good, just on the touring model. I've got to be getting better than15.9. I've had the Pilot about 6 wks, mpg gauge just doesn't move at all. I've read it resets every 100mi., that can't be right since it hardly ever moves.
    I think you should take it back to the dealer... my pilot average 20.1.. 95% highway. I read on the RL forum that A Honda engine is not fully broke in until it has between 7-10,000 miles on the vehicle ...
    I think you should take it back to the dealer... my pilot average 20.1.. 95% highway.

Um, there's nothing implying that the OP drives as much highway as you do. If they're doing a lot more suburban driving or more stop and go than you their mileage should be noticeably lower.
  • justaveragejoejustaveragejoe Member Posts: 268
    edited April 2010
    Finally checking back in the forum. There always seems to be recurring topics. I have a 2007 4WD, so mine doesn't have VCM. Around 28,000 miles now. Lets see if I can spice up this post with some images. You guys should add some photos to your car space. I gotta do a video some day.

I get 19 mpg to 21 mpg in my regular suburban, rural, highway mix of a commute.

As for the octane, getting 10 extra HP (or 4 more MPG, or any other significant benefit) from 91 premium is highly doubtful. Buy premium if it makes you feel better about your Pilot, but it is not needed.

Kip, remember when I posted about my transmission in this forum? We talked about gearing, shift points, etc. Our 2004 Ody shifts much lower than the Pilot and gets better mileage. Now you know exactly what I was talking about.

As for the driving style, with cruise control, only the speed setting matters. Around town, style is everything. However, I'll let anyone set the cruise control if it gets me better mileage.

As for elevation, the best mileage I ever got was driving through the mountains (7000') on a twisty, turny two lane road with lots of steep up and downs. I got 24.5 MPG that trip and that has been the only time I got above 22 mpg. I think the main factor was my speed never got above 65. Most of the time was 40-55 mph. Here are pictures from that trip.

As for the 4WD, with the traction control on, most of the benefits comes from that feature and less from the four wheel drive aspect. But switch it off and the Pilot acts like a regular 4WD. Fun to drift across an empty parking lot. I don't know who was the bigger kid, me or my son. I was smiling, too.

imageSee more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com

yes justaveragejoe
    I have been using octane 91 since I got it.. I also tried chevron 87, not bad. I think I will be using 87 until my first changed. it is still have special break in oil.

my pilot is about 6000 miles. after the first oil change, I will use chevron or shell 91..

here is my fuelly fuel up for pilot 4wd and camry v6.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/hondavtec/pilot

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/hondavtec/camry
    edited April 2010
    >"Kip, remember when I posted about my transmission in this forum? We talked about gearing, shift points, etc. Our 2004 Ody shifts much lower than the Pilot and gets better mileage. Now you know exactly what I was talking about."

You got that right! :sick:

I was reading a link on another forum concerning the Ridgeline. It said the RL engine is different from the Pilot and set up to be more "Truck-like". Although it didn't say what the differences are, I inferred the differences are most likely the cam configuration, ignition timing and so forth. It also possible that 1st and 2nd gear ratios are different. Certain routes that I frequent, have indicated that a fairly light foot and the tranny shifting at it's 2800-3K rpm, in the first 2 gears, yields about the same mileage as my forcing it to shift sooner by lifting the foot and so forth. Haven't driven a late model Pilot, so don't know how they behave.

Took a short trip a couple of weeks ago and the mileage was up a couple of MPG, compared to 2 other times I made the same trip. Most likely that is due to warmer weather and possibly a change in the fuel formulas.

Joe, How do you turn the traction control off? I've pressed the button while driving, but no light comes on the dash to indicate there is any change.

Kip
  • denver5357denver5357 Member Posts: 319
    I'm shocked at how high the mpg is for some Pilot owners here. One person even described their driving as similar to ours and their mpg was 19+.

We have had a 2010 Touring since Dec. 31, and we are averaging 14.7. Our driving is almost entirely 2 mile trips or 4-6 mile trips, from work and school. We have about 800 miles total now. I use 87 octane gas, though at this altitude the dealer said 85 is OK.

Now, we do live in Denver so we are a mile up. In around town driving - almost no highway, and the trip computer says the average speed is about 29 mph - the Pilot has consistenly been between 14 and 15 mpg. The only exception was a 40-minute trip to the airport almost all on the highway, which was 19.5 mpg.