Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Pilot Real World MPG

1181920212224»

Comments

• justaveragejoejustaveragejoe Member Posts: 268
    ever since Edmunds got rid of Carspace attendence has seriously dropped

Yep, Carspace was nice. All of my stuff is gone. :cry:
  • odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    yeah, too bad they can't bring it back and have all our stuff still there in a stored database.

Odie
  • brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    I have a 2003 pilot exl bought new great truck. Had trany problems at 100k replaced trans . Gas mileage is not good maybe 18 city 23 hwy . Overall still very happy. the new pilot is ok but there are alot better choice for 2013. if gas mpg is your main concern the pilot is not your answer

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• mimid1962mimid1962 Member Posts: 1
    My 2011 Honda Pilot does not get anywhere what your pilot's are getting. My dash says I average 17.9 on the hwy/city but when I took it in to be tested by Honda, it came back with 16mpg average. Don't trust your dash....go to the same station, fill up to one click and drive...when you fill up again, go to same pump and stop at one click and do the math....My pilot's best mileage was 22 on a rainy day that I drove and 185 miles of 65mph hwy. driving....the worst is got is an average of 5mpg. Something should be done but Honda says that they can't do anything because it is not a defect, it's just false advertising...of course they didn't say that last part, I did.

Dose anyone know of any lawsuits going with Pilots that are as bad as mine?? My window sticker said my car would get 18-24...
  • tomslentomslen Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Pilot EX with only 50K miles that used to get between 17-23 MPG. However, lately only averages 12-15. Not sure the reason - maintained per recommended schedule, though have not had timing belt replaced, but doubt that is the cause for drop in MPG. Doubt there are any lawsuits.
  • whattodo2whattodo2 Member Posts: 18
    After searching for the answer for almost two years, I found it to be the ethanol mix (suggested by someone on this board - very helpful post and worth a search here!) When I stick with two particular stations of two particular brands (can I mention names??? Shell and BP) I get the 17+ in-town mileage always, 20+ short trips (haven't taken long trips recently). BUT I have to go to these particular stations - same brands at other stations don't work as well (16-18 top). It took some trial and a lot of manual tracking but well worth it. (Someone said you can ask the owner/operator about their particular mix - I didn't do this since the options were limited - just stuck with one station for a few tanks, switched to another for a few tanks - and voila!)
    Yeah, the ethanol mix is really a pain in the rump. All the stations around me have either switched (or are starting to) over to the 15% ethenol / 85% gas mix. Now this is not the E85 (85% ethenol / 15% gas mix) since I know the Pilots wouldn't like that. What makes it even worse, the 2 stations that sold Ethenol Free have both been closed - 1 due to fire, the other due to re-zoning.

Odie
  • kipkkipk Member Posts: 1,576
    edited December 2012
    I agree with whattodo2 .

Gas brands can make a difference. And for some "unknown" to me reason even certain stations seem to yield better mileage.

There are also other culprits that can sneak up on us over time.
    Here are just a few.

1, Dirty fuel injectors and other fuel delivery components. Once they have gotten dirty, sometimes the only thing that will clean them up is whatever they do at the Honda Dealer. That can cost near $100. So trying a bottle or 2 of a fuel injector cleaner that you add to your fuel tank might be a worthwhile option. Also using a "Top Tier" fuel can help clean them, as well as to keep them clean. This link will yell you all about "Top Tier" as well as where to find it. http://www.toptiergas.com/

2. Driving habits, such as "Foot weight" etc can change as we become more lax concerning fuel mileage. But also even slight changes in commute distances, heavier traffic, any additional traffic lights? Cold weather, especially combined with short distances are real MPG killers.

3. "ILP" : Several years ago our 03 Pilot suddenly dropped 3-4 mpg across the board for no apparent reason. Seems it had less than 10K miles on the clock.
    Tried several things to no avail. Then someone suggested doing the "ILP" (Idle learn Procedure). I did it and the mileage returned.

The ILP is part of the dealers "Get Ready" procedure and may or may not actually get done. Within that procedure, it says to do it when ever the battery has gone dead, or been replaced, or certain fuses have been pulled. In my case the battery had been disconnected while doing some wiring stuff, just prior to the mileage drop. FWIW the idle never seemed to be affected, but the fuel mileage was. kipk, "Honda Pilot Real World MPG" #201, 30 Dec 2006 4:02 am Some folks think it is BS and others got results. Only takes a short time to do CORRECTLY, and worked for us.

4. Stale gas. A gov report I read said that Ethanol blends tend to deteriorate quicker than the pure Dino fuels did. They suggested buying gas from "Busy station" where the gas doesn't have time to sit in their storage tanks and go bad.

Also to run the pump on it's lowest setting. This helps prevent sucking up sediment from the storage tank.

When the pump clicks "OFF" the first time, stop! Topping off to where you can see gas in the filler tube can damage some parts of the Ennissions.

Kip
  • beachin2beachin2 Member Posts: 4
    Guys, I agree with most of the suggestions but am surprised no one is mentioned top tier gas. Honda even puts this suggestion in their manual now.

Google it ... I don't burn anything else. Not just for the mileage, but more so to ensure my injectors and engine stay clean.
    edited January 2013
    Beachin2,

I spoke of Top Tier Fuel in the post just above yours. (Post #1169) :)

Supposedly TOP TIER gas IS SUPPOSED TO simply HELP KEEP THE FUEL SYSTEM CLEANER. I totally agree with you, in that TT gas seems to deliver better mileage for us, from tank to tank. Especially on the road.

We traded our 03 Pilot for an 09 Ridgeline. And although the RL doesn't get the MPG of the Pilot, it does OK. On a recent trip to Indiana, from South of Atlanta, we got 23.9 mpg going up and 24.9 on the return, driving the posted speed limits. Approximately 550 miles each way with Cruise control operating most of the time, and AC about half the time.

We can better that by 1-2 mpg, when driving 62 mph, but there were too many trucks, and it made more "safety" sense to drive the higher speeds.

My neighbor has an 07 Ridgeline and is a conservative driver. Driving the posted speed limits, he averages 20-22mpg on the road. He saves 3-5 cents per gallon using "CHEAP" gas.

I keep a list of the Top Tier Brands in my cars, and look for them when on the Road. http://www.toptiergas.com/

Kip
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited January 2013
    I'm one of those who isn't convinced.

Top Tier Gas

(you got better mpg going to Atlanta because it was downhill all the way. :shades: )
    edited January 2013
    Steve,

My neighbor isn't convinced either.

He seems to feel he is better qualified than BMW, General Motors, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen and Audi. Of course his mileage is 7%-10% worse than mine. But he saves 1%-4% on fuel prices. :sick:

For me personally I will stick with Top Tier. Real world, it is the same price as BP and other Top Brands that are not Top Tier.

You may be more right than wrong about the downhill thingie. :)

We always get 1-2 better mpg driving "downhill" to Myrtle Beach, than the return "Uphill" to Home. Provided all other conditions are the same.

Of course the prevailing winds from West to East likely play most of that.

Kip
    The second of these 2 videos is funny.

http://www.76.com/OurGas.aspx

Don't know how anyone could call that gal a "Super Model". But it must be true! Cause you can't put anything on the internet that isn't true! Right? :confuse:

Kip
    edited January 2013
    He seems to feel he is better qualified than BMW, General Motors, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen and Audi.

Which begs the question of why Ford and Chrysler and the others didn't sign on. It's even more interesting that Top Tier is trademarked by GM, the same people that gave us Dex-Cool and Dexos.

Funny thing is that my local "off-brand" station that I usually use paid the fee and is Top Tier.
    Well...! They are "Ford and Chrysler and the others". I don't purchase their products any longer, so I don't try to understand their logic.

Maybe they need to rethink this thing. Ford is experiencing more than it's share of problems.
    Don't know who owns Chrysler this week. Is it still Fiat? Others are others, also rans!

Doesn't matter whose name the "TradeMark" is in. But, could be, it is because GM thought of it first, and the other manufacturers thought it to be worthwhile. One of those mfg being HONDA! Another being Toyota. Of which we own one of each. So I pay attention when they recommend something that they don't sell.

BTW, how do you know there is any kind of fee involved to be a Top Tier Supplier? How much is it and to whom is it paid?

GM does have a good idea.... occationally! Top Tier may have been one of them. Are they still the largest auto/truck mfg in the world?. Or have they been overtaken by Toyota or other.

I buy from "QT" Stations eveny chance I get, and they are generally less expensive than most others in our neck of the woods. They were an off brand at one time! But now one of the most sucessful in the area.

The day of the "service station" as I grew up with are pretty much gone. Now they are mostly Fuel stations/Convience stores. So I applaude QT for selling their fuel at less $$ than the competitions. Of course that brings in more customers to their inside store. ;)

Kip
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    edited January 2013
    "... BTW, how do you know there is any kind of fee involved to be a Top Tier Supplier? How much is it and to whom is it paid? ..."

It is not a fee per se, but the gas is more expensive from the Top Tier refiners, and the stations pass that cost along.

One thing I find interesting is (I've read) that the station owner does not have a lot of choice on price; the same brand may be more expensive at a different station because that is how the refiner sells it. I don't know exactly how they determine the pricing. Maybe location?
    edited January 2013
    GM does have a "fuel engineer" (or maybe many of them?). And I assume the other makes have similar positions, but it seems to me that the people cracking the crude have the most tribologists and petroleum and lubrication engineers and that the car companies should work with them. And probably they do.

Wikipedia says "Gas brands can participate and get Top Tier listing if they meet certain standards, which includes performance tests for intake valve and combustion chamber deposits, fuel injector fouling, and intake valve sticking. Additive manufacturers pay for the testing, which costs an estimated $25,000 to $30,000, while gasoline companies pay an annual fee based on the number of stations it operates to participate in the program."

Hm, additive manufactures pay for the testing - gee, and I bet they then try to sell detergent packs to the gas companies. :shades:

Rats, and I just resolved to try to be less cynical in the New Year too. Don't mind me, just go out and enjoy your Pilot.
    Good stuff Steve!

Appreciate your investigating and providing info that it is more than paying a fee to belong to the TOP TIER group!

And that it is more than adding. or claiming to add, some detergent. They have to actually meet the standards and prove that their "stuff" works to clean up the system and help keep it that way.

Wikipedia says the fuel companies pay an annual fee depending on the number of locations they operate. That may have to do with "Surprise" visits to various locations by the "Top Tier" folks. To keep the gas companies honest.

Can't enjoy the Pilot any longer as we got "Top Tier" money for it back in '09 when we got the New Ridgeline! :)

Kip
    So what role do you see Octane playing in all of this?

I tested 93 a bit from our "best" station (which happens to be Top Tier, I guess, although the other "best" isn't but still gives me superior mpg...) I found mpg went up directly in proportion to price. So I pay significantly more for a little more mpg, but after the calculations it is just about a wash (maybe a wee bit more $).

Any thoughts? Is it worth it in a 2006 Pilot?
    edited January 2013
    This post is old but I think it's still valid.

To quote Mr Shiftright, premium gas isn't a doggie treat for your car. :)

Since you're experimenting, check out pure-gas.org and see if you can find some ethanol free gas in your area. The price difference may still make it a wash but most people report better mpg with the "100% gas" stuff.
    Thanks! There's one literally down the street. Only available in 91 octane. Who knew?!? I may just have to do a bit of experimenting...
    whattodo2,

I agree with Steve. (Gasp) ;) Generally speaking higher octane fuel is not a "Treat" for cars designed to run on 87 octane.

Here is my take on it.
    The only purpose for Octane is to slow down the speed of the explosion of the gas as it is ignited.

Note: It is not actually an explosion. More like an ignition on steroids.

Without getting into the necessity to supply extra gas to a cold engine, lets concentrate on an engine at operating temps. The gas/air mixture is hot from entering the hot environment of the combustion chamber. The piston compressed that fuel, and at the proper moment the spark plug fires and the fuel ignites to its fullest potential as the piston reaches top of it's travel. The fuel's ingnition drives the piston back down for its "Power" stroke.
    In reality the plug fires slightly before the piston reached the top to give the fuel a head start, because that piston is moving fast. The higher the RPM, the faster the piston and the sooner the spark.
    Computers do all that stuff now. In days of yore, we depended on engine vacuum, springs and weights, rpm slinging those weights. Sometimes , smoke and mirrors and luck helped.

High octane gas that we buy for our cars has the same energy as the lower octane gas does. No more.

For an engine designed and tuned for 87 octane, it runs best on that.
    Higher octane COULD result in poorer mileage because the full force of the ignition was slowed/delayed by the excessive octane.

But there are exceptions. An engine being stressed, such as carrying heavy loads up a mountain on a hot day, towing a heavy trailer, sitting in super heavy traffic on hot days can result in the cylinder temps rising. The fuel mixture wanting to ignite quicker. The modern car's computer "Listens" for noises known as "Knock". If it hears it, it backs off the timing a bit. Yep modern engines actually have a "Knock" sensor. If you should hear"KNOCK" inside the car, it will sound more like a "Ping" or rattle.

There again, it gets even more complicated.

Suffice to say Most mfg suggest using high octane gas when towing or some other stressfull situations. It helps curtail knock and helps ignition timing to stay where it does best.

Otherwise use 87. Under normal everyday driving, higher octane cost you more and does nothing for you car.

We do get better fuel mileage with 93 octane when towing our camper, with the Ridgeline.

High performance cars and those with turbo/super chargers are another subject.

Kip
  • bbb99bbb99 Member Posts: 58
    I'm looking at getting an 08 pilot with 4wd, but I live in S. Texas. I will almost never have to drive in snow. Anyone with experience here with 4wd and 2wd piolts and the difference in mpg?
  • bobncbobnc Member Posts: 12
    I have a Honda, new in 09, 4x4 Pilot. One of the best cars I have had of about 23 in the past 50 years. I live in NC and have a home in FL and drive a lot on the interstate with average MPG of 23.0 to 25. Overall in town and road milage( I live in the mountains in NC), I average milage 21.5. Great car.
    I have 44,000 + miles as of now on the Honda.
    4WD will cost you about 1-2 miles per gallon if you drive fairly conservative.
    I had an 03 Pilot 4wd and traded it for an 09 Ridgeline 4wd, cause I needed a truck more than an SUV.

The Ridgeline gets 25+ mpg at 65 mph, around 22 at 70 mph.
    Wife and I took a trip to Indiana in the Ridgeline from Atlanta area. Drove the posted speed limits. Not 5 or 10 mph over. POSTED.
    Mileage was 23.6 going north and 24.9 returning south.

In the Pilot the same trip yielded 27+. Drove the posted limits with a top limit of 65 mph. Took that same Pilot to Myrtle beach at 80 mph most of the time in a light rain and got 18 mpg.

Coming back, the AC ac wasn't needed and I drove 65. That return trip yielded 26+/- 2/10ths.
    edited June 2015
    stever said:

This post is old but I think it's still valid.

To quote Mr Shiftright, premium gas isn't a doggie treat for your car. :)

Since you're experimenting, check out pure-gas.org and see if you can find some ethanol free gas in your area. The price difference may still make it a wash but most people report better mpg with the "100% gas" stuff.

A new Ethanol Free station opened new me outside of Hershey. Now granted they run about 5-10 cents higher, but I tried it and notice a slight increase in MPG. I'm still running around 13-15 City / 17-18 Hwy in my '06.

Now remember I'm also running the Off-Road Package that was available on the first half year of the '06 Pilot. It adds a lot of extra weight over the stock EX with a heavier suspension system, ORV Tires, and the breather box / underhood snorkel (similar to the FJ Cruiser).

Odie

This is a test video I shot for a new dash cam set-up. The road is a very twisty up/down hilly drive. You will hear the groan of the tires on the pavement.

https://youtu.be/C6ShU8CeQYw