Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma Prerunner (owner experiences)

Comments

• 2k1trd2k1trd Member Posts: 301
    Well if i was to put some steps on my truck,i would get them from the dealer.Just my opinion.
  • toyowner2toyowner2 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my v6 prerunner in Aril 2000. Initially i was getting 18 mpg regardless of how i drove it.
    I thought this was a little low so i called the dealer to see if this is normal and they assured me the mileage would increase after break in. well, to cut a long story short i got less than 16 mpg with the last tankful i ran through it so, in fact, it has gone the other way. This may be due to the cold weather but i won't know till spring i guess.
    One thing i have noticed is wind seems to affect it a lot. A head or crosswind will really affect performance and has a tendency to push it around. I attribute this to the height which allows a lot of air to get underneath it.
    I have found the best way to get a little extra passing power is to take it out of overdrive with the button rather than press the gas pedal. This will increase speed without moving the gas pedal and it is really peppy when not in od.
    Overall i am pretty happy with the truck. It is my third Toyota. I had 217,000 miles on my '85 xcab four cylinder when i traded it in and believe me i put that truck through hell. That 22r motor has to be one of the best.
    How about the stereo in the prerunner? Not bad for standard equipment huh!!!!
    Anyhow, in the bonehead department i screwed up my tailgate rolling a 1200 pound round hay bale out of the truck and am going to have to replace it. I would like to get a real nice metal flow-through one. I had one custom made for my old truck after i got rear ended but it wasn't the best quality. However it did improve gas mileage. Does anyone know if these are available and where to find one.
  • oxymoronoxymoron Member Posts: 2
    After some number crunching, I may decide to opt for a '01 non-TRD PreRunner instead. I can do without the higher stance of the TRY's suspension for now, but it is very possible that I may want to upgrade the shocks later down the road, so to speak. The standard steel wheels will serve well too, but I still want that V6. As far as little extras like the matt fender arches, can those be ordered through the dealer or an after market company? The very first thing I do want is a Rhino-Liner, that thick spray-in bed liner. I have a friend who did that to his '00 TRD, and I was very impressed, well worth the cost.

BTW, are there are nice after market aluminum wheels that will fit the '01 PreRunner? What company and size is recommended? Is 16" a good diameter to start with?
  • saddaddysaddaddy Member Posts: 566
    Does anyone know where you can get the black overfneders (not fender flares)that would go on a 2000 prerunner?
  • leon_vleon_v Member Posts: 8
    Good morning.. i am about to start looking for a truck ( i have godd 5-6 month before i can actually buy one) i do want to get a 4x4 and was looking at the tacoma's TRD package.. but i am a bit confused.. with the package the price jumps up about 4000-5000... and if all it is is just flares and shocks.. i am not too crazy about the flares.. so if all it is is just better shocks.. whould it not be cheaper to buy some and have them installed elsewhere?

it might sound naive but i am not quite sure what the trd package is..

thanks for your help
  • dweber4dweber4 Member Posts: 3
    my 98 pre-runner xtra cab used to vibrate on the highway and at speed. I had the dealer check allignment and wheel balance to no effect. I switched to bridgestone dueler At and the problem stopped. These tires are also quieter than the original firestones

Anybody have problems with squeaky driver's seat
  • azcopazcop Member Posts: 1
    All,

If you are looking for the black OEM-style overfenders for the Tacoma, I'd highly suggest the "OE-Style" fenders made by Bushwacker. I purchased a set of these from autostyles.com (abotu $308 out the door vs. $800 plus from the dealer), and installed them myself on my 98 Taco 4x4. They look excellent, and took only about 2 hours to install. As a plus, all newer Tacomas already have mounting holes for the fenders, which means no body drilling to mount the fenders.

Best of luck!
    -Jason
  • dlucas26dlucas26 Member Posts: 3
    I've got 900 i. on my '01 TRD Prerunner v6 xtracab. I've always had great respect for Toyota products and this one seems to be built with the same tightness and quality feel as the others I've owned. Here's what I would like to know from others: When I start mine, it idles at 1300-1500 and slowly drops to 800 rpm(Texas, 50-70 degrees)as it warms up. It is pulling to the left a little. Fuel milage so far kinda sucks, 16.8 on 2 tanks so far. When I put my foot in it, I'm getting what sounds like an intake resonance at 4000 rpm (I'll look next time and see exactly what rpm). The ride is great. I test drove one of these 2 yrs. ago and it beat me to death, but this thing rides almost like my wife's Camry, unbelievable. I paid 20700 with pw,pl,ac,and stuff like the $80 floor mats? and $479 "Customer Prep"(The label on the door says 26front-29rear but I got a little extra air for my $479-35lbs all around), the usual dealer sh**.
    I'm very happy with the truck so far, just wondering about a few things.
  • 2k1trd2k1trd Member Posts: 301
    This is a normal condition and as for the pulling,try rotating the tires.
    Azcop, thanks a lot for your input on the fender flares. Are those the OE flares the low-profile kind like the ones on the 99 trd models or are they the thicker kind like what comes on the "new style" 2001 tacos? I don't like those thicker ones as much because of the way they have a notch cut out (on the back right one) for the gas pump hole.
    One more thing. I have a 2000 prerunner. When I drive my truck when it hasn't been driven for a few hours or more and the engine is cold, the truck shifts from 2nd to 3rd gear at an obviously higher rpm than when the engine is warm (about 2500). Is this normal, or should I get the transmission or soemthing else looked at? I have about 4k miles on it.
  • dweber4dweber4 Member Posts: 3
    Our driver's seat squeaks-both the cushion and the back.

Any solutions-this is very irritating
  • cajunmancajunman Member Posts: 4
    Your transmission is programmed to stay in the lower gears longer while the engine warms up in order to get up to proper operating temperature sooner. When an engine warms up slowly, it gets very poor fuel economy during the warm up time.
  • cajunmancajunman Member Posts: 4
    You mentioned that your MPG with the first 2 tankfuls was around 16.8. This will improve as the enginebreaks in a bit.I have the very same truck, and my mileage started out as poorly as yours, due in part to me enjoying the power of that V6 a little too often.Using a little gentler pressure with your right foot, you can get around 18.5 in town and around 21 on the Interstate.
    Thanks, 2k1trd and cajunman. I found time to swap the front tires, but it did not change a thing. That did work on my 99 gmc POS. On that one, I did get it to pull to the right instead of the left by swapping the front tires. BTW, the dealership called to see how I liked the new Toyota truck and I mentioned that it may need the alignment checked, asked if they could do that under warranty, and she assured me she would find out and call me back. That was 2 days ago. No word, yet! Not that I really want them working on it anyway. Anyone know of a good place to take it for an alignment in the Baytown, Houston or surrounding area? Also, I got the premium 6 speaker sound system w/cd-radio-tape, and it's not very powerful. Has anyone added an amp to this system or should I just yank it out and put my Sony in that I saved from my old Toyota and go from there?
  • l84werkl84werk Member Posts: 1
    dlucas26.......I bought a '01 Pre-Runner that I have put 6000 miles on. The gas mileage was around 17 when I first bought it. I have been getting a consistent 20mpg since I made a few changes. The first thing I did was open up the air box to allow more air flow. You can find out the specifics on how to do this on tacoma territory web site. I also use Mobile 1 Tri-Synthetic motor oil. The addition of a tonneau cover and a Helix Power tower intake mod. from Performance products ($97 and easy to install) has enabled me to increase mileage dramatically.
    All of this has been fun to do and it has paid off quite well....not to mention the very noticeable power increase. I recommend every tacoma owner to try these things to get better mpg.
  • jjgittesjjgittes Member Posts: 54
    What can I expect to pay for a prerunner doublecab SR5?? Anyone actually get one for Edmunds TRV of under 18k? Anyone actually get one for under 23k for that matter??
  • tacoma_trdtacoma_trd Member Posts: 135
    I currently own a 98 Mazda B2500 ext. cab and I personally know a guy selling a 2000 V6 Prerunner, loaded, with locking rear differential. Anybody have any thoughts on this, I also have thought about getting a Ranger 4x4, 99 or 2000, but I really like the Tacoma. I test drove it and fell in love with it, now I just have to sell my truck to get that one. I drove it without the ECT button on. I felt like it accelarated very well and was very responsive. Is it a big difference with the ECT button on? And I have a fairly heavy foot, any heavy-footers out there, I would like to know what is the gas mileage range you are getting. I will keep everyone posted on what I decide

Thanks
    Travis
  • kongtikongti Member Posts: 1
    hey dlucas26, you mentioned a price for your trd
    where did you buy yours? $20700 sounds good what
    were the options?

kongti
  • toyrotatoyrota Member Posts: 66
    I have the above with the following options: SR5, TRD, Power Package, Convenience Package. I paid $22,000, which was about 300-400 above invoice, and $150 over Edmunds TMV.
  • steven_p1steven_p1 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought it a week ago. Excellent feel, handling, and has a pretty face. Had a good buying experience until went back to the dealer for the "clean-up".

When the truck was purchased, the dealership's service department was swamped with vehicles. So, the sales consultant wrote up a "we-owe you" for the clean up and removal of an ignition shut off alarm (a dealer add on that I didn't need for $300). Anyway, a few days later, I go to get the truck cleaned up, and 4, yes 4 &*%$&*% hours later they bring me my truck. Everything is fine up until that evening. Get in my truck, look in the right rear view mirror, and the mirror is full of scratches. After a closer look, it is obvious that the Einstein's waxed the mirror, both right and left. During the day it's not noticeable but at night, with the headlight glare, it blows.

Now, I called the selesperson/manager/pric&$, and let's just say customer satisfaction was the least of his concerns. Any thoughts as to what I should do? Take it to the small claims court? File a complaint with BB? Like that will solve something.

For the life of me, I still can't figure out who the hell would buff a mirror. I still kick myself for going back for the clean up.

Thanks,
    Steve
  • toyrotatoyrota Member Posts: 66
    Steve, If you go to Toyotas webpage, you should be able to find a customer satisfaction #. Call them. I have read about people having their beds repainted after the toyota bedliner has rubbed paint off, etc...so they may instruct the dealer to replace the mirrors either on warranty or by some other method. Good luck!
    I test drove a prerunner a few days ago, and a 4-runner today. I notice they both have a red button on the dash on the left, it is right next to where the diff lock and ECT button is. I do not know what this is for, can anyone enlighten me about this red button? Thanks.
  • allknowingallknowing Member Posts: 866
    Probably the LED for the alarm system.
    Hey, kongti. I got mine at Baytown toyota. The best way to go is to get preapproved from your Credit Union before you ever set foot in one of these places. On mine I've got:
    air cond., alloys, 6 speaker cd/tape/radio, v-6, auto, SR5, TRD, power windows, locks, and mirrors, daytime running lights, sliding rear window-tinted, extra mile option(glass etching, pin stripe, bodyside moulding, spare tire lock, carpet floor mats, cruise control, 3yr./36,000 mi. roadside assist. and rental car), and Securikey Plus, which is an elaborate alarm system I'm still trying to learn all about.
    I could not believe cruise was an option till I saw how they bundle it with all that other "stuff". I think if I had not been rushed at the time of delivery(7pm on a friday nite), I would have done a little better, but?
    I just put a Covermaster Camper on it, and it is great, really beautiful match on the style and paint, and my mpg. went from 16.8 to 17. I ordered the spoiler to keep the back window a little clearer and to cut the drag, hopefully. Seems like it did!
  • mchwickwiremchwickwire Member Posts: 1
    I BELIEVE THAT THE OWNERS MANUAL SAYS DON'T DRIVE OVER 5 MPH WITH THE DIFF LOCKED. IS THIS TRUE OR WHATS THE STORY
  • rlaaustinrlaaustin Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2000 tacoma SR5 V6 xcab and I absolutely LOVE it. The dealer told me the red button is to manually activate/deactivate the alarm system. If you have the key in the ignition and you push the button a couple of times you'll hear it honk a couple of times. I have yet to figure out when it's on vs. off. Good luck!
    Well guys I just sold my 98 mazda B2500 last night, and this week I will be buying a Tacoma V6 Prerunner loaded, ext cab, locking rear diff. I can't wait, I'm so excited, this will be my first tacoma, once I drove it I wanted it at that moment. I'll keep everyone posted, and if I can get my scanner working I may post some pictures
  • allknowingallknowing Member Posts: 866
    Pretty cool. I'm sure that you'll like the truck. They seem to do pretty well out here in the Calif. deserts and forests even without the four wheel drive. California is full of them and I haven't met an unhappy owner yet.
  • ser22ser22 Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a 2001 Prerunner and love it. I chose to not include a bedliner at my time of purchase because I want to see what else it out there besides Toyota's bedliner. Is Toyota's a good choice or are there any others that you can recommend? Thanks for your input.
  • mjenmjen Member Posts: 1
    i'm close to getting a tacoma doublecab would like to get the 4x4 but can't seem to justify it. is a prerunner + diff lock a good alternative if all i expect to do is take a few ski trips during the winter? thanks for your input.
  • evanspa5evanspa5 Member Posts: 2
    I recently bought a 99 per-runner. I have to say, The loud flunk when releasing the brake is annoying! The dealer said it was "normal". Normal for what? a $5000 yugo, or a 20K truck! I have had the truck for 3 weeks, if I can't find a fix, I may just sell it. Does any one have a sure answer for this problem? Is it axle wrap, a down shifting trannie or brakes? Please help. The Toyota dealer was useless(no surprise).
  • bp53bp53 Member Posts: 23
    Can you get a 5 speed tranny in a prerunner or is one limited to an automatic? Also, if I can purchase an xtra cab 4x4 v6 for 22, 500 is this a good price?
  • brtybrty Member Posts: 1
    Does anybody have any input on the 4 cyl. Prerunner? I am thinking of getting one for a commute truck and I am wondering if the four banger in front of the automatic cranny will suffer too much. What about gas mileage? Is the 6 cylinder worth the extra thousand or two? Any advice would be appreciated.
  • pooh001pooh001 Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone had a similar experience?
    2001 Prerunner sr5 v6 automatic transmision

At 1800 miles I make a brief highway trip (20 miles). I make a stop and then continue for about 5 miles. When I slow to an idle to make my turn the engine noisily clunks and dies (much the same as a standard would if I had not downshifted). When I start it up again It runs fine in Park and Neutral but as soon as its placed in gear (any gear including reverse) it clunks and dies as if it is stuck in too high a gear to take off.

After towing it in to the dealer the mechanic witnesses this problem once but it goes away once he gets it into the bay. With no problem left to fix it gets turned back over to me like a ticking time bomb.

Fast forward to 5000 miles. I go on an extended higway trip (150 miles) I stop for gas, get back on the road and have no problems. 60 miles later when I exit and slow to an idle... Bingo! same old problem.

Towed it to a dealer (this time out of state)and they are convinced it is the Torque Converter. After they change it ...No Joy!

Final result is the Transmision has been replaced and so far so good. I'm just curious if this has been seen before. Thanks for the input!
  • ebbgreatdaneebbgreatdane Member Posts: 278
    We may need you some day!

John
  • tony22rtony22r Member Posts: 45
    I bought my 2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner V6 SR5 TRD from Longo Toyota in El Monte, CA for $24,200 out-the-door; no hassle, no bait & switch. 7.49% financing with $0 down from www.peoplefirst.com was Easy and Fast! They qualified me in 15 minutes, sent a blank check to me in 2 days, and we went Shopping!

This truck is NICE! Smooth, seamless power from the 3.4L DOHC V6. Those 190hp comes on fast and pulls strong! Cab is quiet, ride is smooth, feels refined like a TALL Camry!
    Already thinking of making it louder and obnoxious with TRD Supercharger (+50hp) for $2300, along with TRD headers and exhaust. hmm... i'm gonna have Fun with my new Toy!

The women really dig the head-turning rugged good looks. I feel like royalty riding tall with legendary Toyota quality & build. Drivers in any other new trucks/SUV's get jealous when my ride pulls alongside.

The Tacoma's ain't the cheapest ride you can buy, but hell i KNOW it's the BEST ride you can Own!
    15 years from now my Grandkids will be riding tall and proud in this truck!
    More than i can say for my poor (not very old) Ford... which blew its head gaskets after 65,200 miles and 6 years.
  • presboogiepresboogie Member Posts: 4
    Hello Everybody,

I'm about to move north to Iowa from Georgia and am a bit worried about the winter weather I'll experience. I bought my PreRunner V6 with Georgia winters in mind and suddenly find myself facing tough Iowa winters. I wouldn't be concerned if I had a 4x4, but I bought the 2WD PreRunner.

If anybody has some experience with a PreRunner in snowy weather, please share your experiences. Can you share some tips for making my truck a good snow vehicle?

Thanks much,
    Bill
    Hey folks check out:
    www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls

It lets you see Recall details on various makes, models, and year.

You'll be happy to know that there are ZERO Recalls for 2000-2001 Toyota Tacoma's!

Toyota Quality is not only Legendary but it is Fact!

Not so for Ford, Chevy, and Dodge :o(
    You'll see that there are Already 4 or 5 RECALLS on Brand NEW 2001 models like Ford Ranger or Chevy S-10!
    And we're not talking little stuff, but Serious stuff like: brake lines, airbags, seatbelts, fuel systems, tires, hoods flying off while driving, cooling systems, mislabeled GVW ratings.

Ford Quality is JOKE One!
    Chevy, like a CRock (sits on jackstands like a Rock)
    Dodge... um, i can't think of anything for Dodge.

So if some Chevy/Ford/Dodge owner starts disrespecting your Toyota Tacoma ride... point them to the Recall Database to see just how many recalls their vehicle has. They'll shut up real fast!

Because Toyota is the BEST!
  • pyramid1pyramid1 Member Posts: 1
    I use on occasion and have driven up to 45 MPH with it engaged with no problem (off road). I own a 2000 X-Cab TRD Pre-Runner. I often go to the mountains and the truck never dissapoints. I did however have a constant rattle behind the passanger air bag. Dealer said they had a few come in. The result was them replacing my entire dash. They scratched the hell out of my A pillars and numerous dash pieces re-installing it. That was last Dec. They have since replaced those pieces (no charge, all warranty work). I love my sunroof and is constantly open until I can't stand the squeek that comes from it (probably needs grease). Minor gripes. I have hauled everything from palm trees to a full scoop of gravel and I have logged 36,000 miles in about 18 months of ownership. No problems mechanically. It drives today like the day I drove it off the lot. I use my truck, never abuse it. I will recommend a K&N air filter, my only modification. A little better gas mileage. Changing the oil is a snap for the filter is easily accessible (every 3,000 miles, 10W-30). I use Maguires auto care products. Their Soft Wash Gel works great along with their liquid wax (I wax every 3 months). I threw some clear corner and bumper lenses on the front end as well as plasma super whites for headlights.They look and function well. I am running Hella 550 fogs hooked to a tastefully done Pre-Runner bar made by Rhino. It bolts up to the hook mounts connected to the frame and comes up to the top of the front bumper. It's black so it doesn't look overbearing like most do and can have it welded to the frame if you like. Well I love my truck. On a scale of 1-10, I give it an 11. To bad they changed the front end 6 months after I bought mine. Oh well, I know mine is the cleanest! Form follow's function with Toyota trucks. This is mine and my wifes 3rd Toyota. She has a 98 4 Runner we have logged 40,000 miles in it, again no problems. I have owned a Ford Ranger and a Dodge Dakota (that one was a nightmare). The ford was O.K. but lacked power (4 cylinder). The Dodge fell apart in only 32,000 miles (serpentine belt system went out 4 times, 2 front end alignments, Rear brakes would lock up under light braking, brake lights would stay on by themselves, radio would turn itself off, had to replace the exhaust) I could go on with more and only had it a year and a half! It was a brand new truck, the current body style Dakota (new in 1997). Will never buy another Dodge as long as I live (they lost 300 million last year). Toyotas are built to last and the company has never foundered. There's a reason for that. They make a great product. I will probably be one of those guys jumping in front of his truck in a advertisement having logged 250,000 miles in his 10 year old Toyota. Thanks all =) Remember, the fun begins, when the pavement ends!
  • ggg9ggg9 Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased a 2001 v6 prerunner and I am going to put in a liner, including the bed rails. I have seen the literature on Rhino and Linex. Anyone have any suggestions or preferences? Are there any downsides to a spray in versus a drop in? Any advice would be appreciated.
  • smgillessmgilles Member Posts: 252
    Go with spray in unless you just want under the rail bedliner. The bedliner rubs the paint off the rails, even the Toyota bedliners do this. I have never seen an over the rail bedliner that doesn not rub the paint. So go with spray-in (lineX), it is what I used and it was great and the even do the top of the rails. Have a bunch of colors to choose from. My Tacoma is black and you can hardly tell I even have the black lineX.
  • ggg9ggg9 Member Posts: 3
    Thans Smgilles for the advice. I got the Linex liner. They did a super job and it looks perfect.
    smgilles ->
    1) I too was looking at headers for my DoubleCab 3.4L V6! But i think the TRD ones re-combined into 1 pipe.
    I was hoping to get something "dual exhaust".
    Do you know if TRD or Toyota has any headers for dual exhaust?
    I guess i can just get my muffler man to split it and have two tips sticking out the back.
    there's just something about dual exhaust that gets me goin, hehe.

2) TRD Supercharger...hmm... that gets me drooling too, but cheapest i saw them going for was about $2300 online. it sure would be hella fun though!
    does the Supercharger replace your entire intake manifold?
  • smgillessmgilles Member Posts: 252
    Yes, the manifold is completely replaced by the supercharger and yes it is a lot fun. You can be doing 85-90 and step on it and you better hang on! There isn't a V-8 truck that will touch it. I raced my brother's chevy z71 he was mildly upset to put it lightly. I don't think you will find the charger any cheaper than $2300. I think cost for Toyota is 2270 or so, but that is what a parts guy told me, so who knows how much they actually make.

I thought on the doublecab that it had 2 catalytic converters so you could do dual exhaust. I may be mistaken thought since it has the same 3.4 as the ext-cab. Go to www.toyotaguys.com and check out what they got. About the cheapest on the web or anywhere else for all Toyota stuff.
    Nope, the 3.4L has dual headers off the engine that combine into one exhaust pipe that translate into one tail pipe.

This is true for all 3.4L Tacoma engines no matter the body style.

John
  • chas29chas29 Member Posts: 3
    I am trying to decide between the 4 and 6 cylinder prerunner. I drive about 37,000 miles per year about 2,000 of that is over a rutted dirt road to and from work. I think I need the clearance a prerunner can provide. I like the timing chain on the 4 cylinder and hear that in general the engine is just more reliable than the v6. However, I use the truck as a delivery vehicle also and often drag a trailer that weighs about 1,500 loaded and occasionally weighs 2,000 at the same time I also have a load in the bed of about 900 lbs. Most deliveries are flat land but sometimes I need to drag the trailer up some hills (not mountains just hills). So... who has experience with towing behind 2.7 liter engine? Can they handle it? Of course dealer says no problem but that's the dealer.
    I posted this in the towing forum too but you'll have no problems.

I would suggest however for towing 2000Lbs. with 900Lbs. payload in the cargo box that you opt for the TRD package. It's a bit stiff when empty but you'll never have to worry about the towing capacity of your suspension.

John
  • salamander3salamander3 Member Posts: 8
    I can't find this information anywhere and I don't know another tacoma owner personally, so anyone's help would greatly be appreciated.
    Basically, I don't have a tachometer, and I'm looking for engine RPM at these given speeds:

20 MPH
    45 MPH
    60 MPH
    70 MPH
    80 MPH

If anyone would be willing to take note of their tachs when they're driving around and get back to me on these, I would be greatly appreciative. Thanks.
  • rdupre1rdupre1 Member Posts: 3
    I bought my wife a 2001 Tacoma PreRunner and was wondering about what seems to
    be a pretty stiff suspension. Is this normal for these trucks?? I guess I'm used to the
    smooth ride of an extended cab truck. Can reducing the tire pressure help to smooth
    out the ride?? Any suggestions???
This discussion has been closed.