Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Real World MPG

Comments

• kenymkenym Member Posts: 405
    vehicle either hasn't broken in yet or that the very cold weather up here is limiting the vehicle's ability to be more economical.

It's probably a combination of your vehicle isn't broken in yet and the winter additives they add to the fuel during the winter months. It also takes longer to get around in bad weather. I live in Northeast Ohio and during the winter months ( late Oct through late Mar ) my mileage drops any where from 8% to 10% ) :sick:
  • gtgtcobragtgtcobra Member Posts: 268
    kenym,
    Yes, I think that the combination of the cold weather and the additives that are in the gasoline may be contributors towards the bad mpg fuel economy that my vehicle is getting. The weird thing about this is that back from 1997 to 2000 when I owned my 97 Camry CE, I NEVER had bad fuel economy during all the 3 1/2 years that I owned my vehicle thruout the very cold and sub-zero weather during the wintertime. If that was the case, why then am I having bad fuel economy in my current 2010 Camry LE which is supposed to have a much better engine and transmission than the 97 Camry CE which I used to own? Either the engine on my current 2010 Camry was made to burn more fuel than the one in my 97 Camry or the biggest contributor towards the current bad fuel economy that it's getting is from the additives that they are putting int the gasoline. Back in 1997 to 2000, I don't think that there were any additives put into the gasoline, but I could be wrong.
    What I do know is that the rated mpg fuel economy in my 97 Camry CE was 20 city/ 29 highway. The mpg economy fuel rating for my 2010 Camry LE is 22 city/ 32 highway. In the 97 I used to EASILY get an overall average of 31 to 32 mpg city/highway while in my 2010, I am only getting an overall average of 24 to 25 mpg city/highway. The 2010 Camry which supposedly has a much better and more fuel efficient engine than my 97 Camry had is getting worse fuel economy than the 97 Camry. This doesn't make any sense to me. The 2010 should be getting at least the same overall average 31 to 32 mpg fuel economy that my 97 Camry was getting if the 2010 Camry has got a better engine than the 97 Camry. It $ucks bigtime that my 2010 Camry is not getting the same type of mpg fuel economy that my 97 Camry was getting. I was expecting much better gasoline mileage from my 2010. I have a feeling that my 97 Camry was much better with fuel economy than my 2010 Camry is.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    Ethanol wasn't used in most gasoline back in 1997-2000. It hard to avoid ethanol now, which can constitute up to 10% of the fuel.

Plus you had a manual transmission in the older car, which if you know what you're doing, can allow you to maximize mpg in way not possible with an automatic.
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ....I am getting 28.4 mpg on my 2006 Camry le V6 ( 90 % highway ).. I always warm up my car for 4-5 minutes .. I also use Chevron 87 octane..

I had a Camry Solara (the final year for a manual transmission V-6) that got really good highway fuel numbers. Sometimes 36/37 mpg. Sold it to an old college roomie who said he got 38 at times. We're both cars guys (but he's sharper than I am).

That being said, the Honda V6 6M that supplanted my Solara has turned in over 40 MPG at least twice (IIRC) - - - using 6th gear/2150 RPM (circa 65 MPH)

ez....
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Don't warm the car up and the mpg will be even better. Modern cars are ment to be started and driven off - don't floor it or anything till it is warm though.
  • crazedcommutercrazedcommuter Member Posts: 281
    I just got back from a roundtripper to NJ in my 08 Solara 4 cyl. Car now has 22,000 miles on the odometer. I used a bottle of Lucas F.I. cleaner on the tank last week and ran it down past "E" prior to the fill up for the NJ trip. Tire PSI at 36. Temps 35-53. About 80% highway travel at speeds up to 80mph. 530 miles and filled 16.2 gals. = calculation 32.7. Computer MPG reading was 34.1. The Solara ran beautifully.
    edited March 2010
    I just did my 14th gasoline fill-up at 5,463 original miles this evening. I've been tracking my average MPG on the www.fuelly.com website since I got my 2010 Camry LE brand new back on December 12, 2009.

I'm finding that I am currently getting an overall average fuel economy between 24.7 to 25.5 MPG. The last 3 to 4 weeks have not been very cold and the average temperatures have been in the 40's Fahrenheit.
    During the last 4 gasoline fill-ups that I've done, I've gone a total of 420 miles, 392 miles, 432 and 450 miles consecutively on a full tank of gas.

I will be getting the oil and oil filter changed for the first time next week in my brand new Camry. Do you think that the MPG fuel economy will go any higher "AFTER" I change the oil and oil filter in my Camry? My car currently has 5,463 original miles on it right now. I've been doing 50/50 city and highway driving within the last 4 gasoline fill-ups. Do you think that the fuel economy gas mileage will go up to around 30 to 32 mpg "AFTER" I get the oil and filter changed on my Camry?
    I am hoping that the gas mileage will go up after I get the first oil and filter change.
    What do you think?
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    edited March 2010
    I think you're dreaming, if you think changing the oil will get you a 20% improvement in fuel economy that you are looking for.
    "I think you're dreaming, if you think changing the oil will get you a 20% improvement in fuel economy that you are looking for."

I was thinking the same thing. It would be very nice if the gas mileage on my new Camry could go up to 30+ MPG after its 1st oil change. Especially when the engine on my car has already been broken in with over 5,000+ miles on it right now. The MPG fuel economy on my Camry has gone up a little bit since it was purchased, but not by very much.

The 2010 Camry LE should be getting better MPG gas mileage than just the overall 25 to 26 MPG that it's getting right now.
  • petras2petras2 Member Posts: 104
    look at your window sticker..for a 2010 le with 4 cyl epa figures are 22/32 and 26 combined..also consumer's reports in their 12/09 test of the 4 cyl le got 17/37 and 26 combined..as you can see the figures differ widely due to many variables...your numbers are not that far off..I've been getting around 27 combined with 50% in light city traffic/50% highway with winter blend fuel and easygoing driving style..
    I agree with the others. The real test will be a long highway-only trip at say, 65 mph or less (you live in MA, right)? Only then should you get over 30 mpg, maybe 35 mpg depending on how conservatively you drive. Light traffic and use of cruise control, at least where it's not too hilly, should help.
  • kingfans1kingfans1 Member Posts: 137
    hi gtgtcobra, I think it is possible you can achieve 30-34 mpg on your 4 cyl camry. You have to drive post speed limit, use cruise control sometime, turn off a/c/fan..

I am currently driving 2006 camry le v6 automatic. the car have 174,000 miles. Michelin primacy tires, 29 psi front/rear. I use only shell or chevron octane 87. epa rate 20/28.. I average 28.9 mpg. my best was 30.9 mpg.

oil change and filter change not gonna do much. it is depend on how you drive..

I don't care what other people say... temperature 40 F, I warm up my car for 2- minutes and drive. if the weather is very cold, I warm up for about 5 mintues..

Your car drive more efficient if you warm up... It is according from my 2010 honda pilot manual.. I trust Honda Engineer.
  • troylikesbikestroylikesbikes Member Posts: 132
    Yo folks. Last I posted here, I had just squeezed 40mpg highway out of my 2007 CE on a Grand Canyon spring break trip with the kids. Traded it off back in late 2008 (wife hated the thing)....but 3 weeks ago....I threw caution (and marital harmony) to the wind and acquired a new, 2009 kermit green hybrid. First tank around town was 33.5 mpg calculated. Not bad, but about what is expected, although its still cold here, and hybrids ( this is #2 for me ) do like it a bit warmer.

So I know it will do better around town by its very nature (25-26 mpg on the 2007 CE around town) but the REAL question is, what will this thing get on the highway? Some people have claimed that it does the 40mpg advertised prior to the EPA revision for the 2008 (2009?) model year. Others insist it doesn't. Its got the 2.4L engine in it from the regular Camry, same size wheels and tires, with a slight modification or two (higher compression, Atkins cycle, oil nozzles pointed at the pistons, I think) but the real question is how does the CVT do versus the 5 speed stick?

Anyone wish to speculate prior to its first long highway trip? The car has 700 miles on it now, in the next two weeks it'll hit 1000 or so, I'll change the oil, and then I'm headed from Denver to New Orleans and back in the middle of April, call it 3000 miles round trip. Mostly interstate on the way down, higher speeds, and then secondary roads on the way back, lower speeds, a little stop and go through towns along the way. No commuting in New Orleans, no real stop and go, once it gets to New Orleans it gets parked in the hotel garage for the duration of my visit.

I've been watching the instant gas-o-meter while on short trips at 65mph, it hovers between 35-45mpg most of the time, but we all know better than to trust the electronics. So far the "mpg per tank" meter (versus the more instant gauge) was spot on for the first tank.

All my usual rules for how to calculate these things will apply, mileage calculated from one particular style of driving as much as possible, majority of the tank consumed in that configuration to minimize % effects related to fill-up error, standard fill-up technique and car positioning whenever possible, return to same pump at same station on return for a trip total.

If memory serves, the 2005 auto LE had an all time single tank best of 38mpg, the 2007 stick a 40mpg. Think I can get a 42 mpg out of this one somewhere along the way? Guesses for pure interstate? Guesses for pure secondaries? High speed interstate / low speed interstate? No 100mph cruising this time trying to drive mileage UNDER 30mpg, normal interstate speed is going to be 70-80 mph, normal secondaries probably 50-65mph, with slowdowns for towns and such.
    About 240 miles roundtrip today, first half was secondaries, small towns every 10-15 miles or so. 55-65mph speed limits. Trip computer read 45.5mpg. 2nd half was interstate, 75mph speed limit, I put the cruise on 80mph and just let it run. Fillup at the same pump I started at, 42.0 mpg calculated. Trip computer claim, 42.5. Not bad, I usually expect those things to be off 1-2mpg.

Assuming the trip computer is reasonable, and that the faster half was symetrically opposite the slower half, that puts secondary road estimates at approximately 45 mpg, and interstate at higher speed estimates at 40 mpg.

Tire pressures set before leaving, 1000 miles on the odo now, first oil change coming up in 2 weeks, then first big cross country trip.
  • red09hybridred09hybrid Member Posts: 1
    '09 Hybrid owned almost 2 years. Summer mileage here in Pacific NW is 39 to low 40's, winter is around 35-36, and spring is 37-38mpg. Right now reads 38.5 over 2/3 of a tank. My commute is 8.5 miles each way. I go down a steep hill right out of my driveway into a 50mph country road, then up/down a couple more times, level out, a few stop signs. If nobody's around, I can keep it at 41mph/electric mode for some of the trip. By far, the car performs best on trips. Last trip to the coast was 45mpg, previous was 46mpg, loaded down with family and stuff. Yes, I'm trying the whole time, but not holding up traffic. seems ok.
    Good deal. I've gotten a few highway tanks at 40+ on my 2009 TCH, my around town has increased from 33 to 35 as the weather warms, but I've only got 5K on it, 3K of that on a trip. I figure it needs 10K before its fully broken in. Only this week have temps cleared 40F at night.
  • crazedcommutercrazedcommuter Member Posts: 281
    edited June 2010
    Just filled up today with 12.6 gal for 392 miles on OD= 31.1 MPG. Solara is 4 cyl auto with 28k miles. I even topped the tank off an additional gallon. A mixture of 85% hwy and 20% city with the A/C on for both sides of my daily 70 mile commute. Very pleased with the car thus far.
  • michaelscaimichaelscai Member Posts: 75
    Numbers on my brand new 2010 camry:

32 MPG on first fill up with mixed city and highway
    30.6 MPG after 2nd fill up with mixed city and highway

most driving are highly, i'd say 60-70 percent, and I drive it pretty gently for the break in period, with a/c on low for the most time here in phoenix.. but the MPG has been amazing so far, it's almost like the number from a civic or corolla.

I hope it stays that way, do i need to use synthetic oil for the engine? does toyota came with regular or synthetic oil in the engine?
  • michaelscaimichaelscai Member Posts: 75
    85% hwy and 20% city, your math sucks
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    That was a fairly rude way to correct someone's error. Let's try to be polite if there's a need to comment. If that's not possible, please just skip the post.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Starting with the 2010 model, the Camry 4-cylinder requires synthetic oil.
    Requires? Recommended? Is this the one with the 10K oil changes, which might certainly require synthetics for that length of drain interval?
    Requires, and this is the one with the 10K mile oil change intervals.
    I wonder if they changed anything in the motor, or the synthetic is just toyota going "European" in that they require the synthetic for the drain interval.
    hi my 2006 toyota camry le v6 is using regular dino untill 185,000 miles.. changed to synthetic at last week.. no problem using conventional oil...

95% highway.

castrol gtx oil. best mpg was 33.0 and 33.4
    castrol synthetic. best was 33.5.

synthetic oil doesn't increase mpg...

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/hondavtec/camry
  • bush2bush2 Member Posts: 1
    I have been quite dissatisfied with the gas mileage on my 2006 Camry V/6. The car has recently been tuned and trans. and radiator fluids changed. Air filter is new and I use 89 octane when I fill up. The owner's manual recommends 93 octane. I use cruise control whenever I can and drive modestly. No jack rabbit starts nor high speed highway driving. I have wanted to just give it up and get a Prius but I like the Camry otherwise. Any suggestions re. mpg with this car. Would synthetic oil improve mpg??
    What mpg are you getting?
    I am running chevron 87, 30 psi with michelin tires.. I am getting 30-33.5 mpg 95 %highway with cruise control.. epa rated 28 mpg hwy.. so I am very happy what I am getting. synthetic will not increase mpg much..

what type of motor oil are you using? fuel brand ?
  • motorcity6motorcity6 Member Posts: 427
    In the garage I have a 2002 XLE which will read 27.5 and is actually 23.8,.4 -banger..w/80k miles..mixed driving, female driven..

Other car is a S/C 2006 Pontiac GPGT..driven 50 miles@70mph, cruise control w/a/c running, shown mpg was 26.6, return trip from Ft Myers no a/c, no cruise control, speeds at 80+, same mpgs..26.6..probably a solid 25 mpg..90 degree temps..v-plus Shell gas..

Never owned an Asian brand car and the only Camry that I would buy is an SE w/sunroof, V-6...The 4-banger is too droney, and the a/c sucks up the power..I live in Fla so a/c is a 9 month deal..I do not own the 2002 Camry in my garage however I take it to the local dealer for oil change and estimates on any other work required..then I take it to a mechanic two blocks away..The Toyo dealer in Venice, Fl has a beautiful operation, and also owns the Honda outlet across the street, also new and impressive.. I have a neighbor who owns a 2003 Camry LE, w/45k miles, pristine car, always garaged, great shape, and at oil change time they always manage to replace something that doesn't need replacing..They do like to pick on older people and sell the goodies..

Her visit today was interesting, the rear speaker bezels, plastic, were totally cracked up, which I assume was just a snap-on grille, cost $200. wow-wow..The last oil change was an engine belt, $100..

Having gone through 53 cars in my life to date, I know dealers for they pulled that on me during my second visit to that dealer for a simple oil change, they brought the air cleaner element into the waiting room and it was clean, not dirty, just the way it came from Nippondenso..Put it back
    hi my 2006 camry v6 have about 190,000 miles.. Only been in the shop 2 times for maintenance ( brake pads replace, transmission fluid change, timing belt,tune up ). thats all. Toyota camry is a working car for me.. lol.

I only like V6. by the way I change motor oil every 7000-8000 miles at local walmart. 95 % highway driving..

I am very happy with my Camry V6. Never had a problem.

easy on gas, drive speed limit, use cruise control, you will beat epa number.
  • dirtyharrywkdirtyharrywk Member Posts: 9
    kingfans1,

I'm glad to hear that your Camry has treated you well. My confidence in Toyota is very high. I've owned 4 Toyota's. I recently traded in my 2004 Rav4 for a 2011 Camry. The Rav4 for had nearly 119,000 miles and I was the only owner. I had zero problems with that car. I did all the normal maintenance, oil changes, coolant flush, transmission fluid change, tires and brakes. My 2011 Camry SE 4 cyl rides even better and quieter then my Rav4. Oh and it was built in the U.S.
    edited August 2010
    yes. i drove my friend 2005 camry SE 4 cyl back in 2007. It was really quiet and smooth. New camry are even more quieter.. most of my family members only drive toyota.. I recently purchased 2010 honda pilot ex-l 4wd for the winter driving. I hope Honda will do well, in term of reliablity..

by the way, my 06 camry v6 was built in kentucky. I hope you enjoy your new 2011 camry. :)
  • bourne1bourne1 Member Posts: 20
    i get an average (from ~40 fillups) 23.65MPG from my 2009 camry, 4cylinder, auto. i drive mostly in and around city, no or very few highway. the highlighted ones are actually road trips (95% highway).

data shown below

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/6132/capturenfn.jpg
    HI I just want to add that toyota camry v6 are capable of getting 33 mpg. I use cruise control, and drive 65 mph.

2006 Toyota Camry V6 3.0l
    motor oil. Castrol Syntec 5w30
    Chevron 89
    Michelin primacy mxv4 32 PSI

miles driven 484.8 miles. 14.306 gallons used.
    33.9 mpg.

I am very impressed. This is like having a hybrid car.
    edited September 2010
    Track it over a number of fill-ups, to reduce any error's associated with how much you top it off when filling. Just 1/2 gal of difference with your single tank test, would be 1 mpg less on your average.

Still good, but you'll find factors change when monitoring gas. Time of year and ethanol mix, also can play havoc with the humbers.
    I don't top it off when filling. after I hear the click, i stop.

those are the best result. I always fill up my gas at the same chevron station. I like that place. they don't cheat. From my understanding, their station are very accurate. if you buy 1 gallon, you get 1 gallon.

yes. cold weather, as well as heavy traffic will decrease my mpg to around 30-32 mpg. by the way, I need to change my motor oil. it is now at 9,200 miles. I try to change at 10,000 miles.

please check out my fuelly.
    http://www.fuelly.com/driver/hondavtec/camry
    nice!!
  • petras2petras2 Member Posts: 104
    recently averaged 39.4 mpg, 90% hwy, on several long trips..lightly loaded, level surfaces, mostly 65-75 mph, original michelin tires at 35psi..
    Thats nice. EPA rated 22/32 for 2010 camry 4cyl.
  • motorcity6motorcity6 Member Posts: 427
    I buy the gas for a 2002 Camry XLE, 4 cyl w/80k and it gets around 8% more mpgs than my supercharged V-6 Pontiac, 2006 vintage..In fact the driver of the Camry is somewhat more aggressive on the pedal than myself in town driving..22.5 is no get shakes for a 4 banger, with a/c on..and probably sunroof open..We are talking Venice, Fla area..

I do like the SE series and would probably be the only Camry on my list, but I still lean toward our domestic nameplates of Detroit origin..I think Ford is the only hope..

Maybe the 2002 XLE needs about 50 miles of 80+mph to clean its system up..
  • patriotpaulpatriotpaul Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2011, 4cyl, Camry XLE with 6 speed auto, using Toyota synthetic oil with 4400 miles.

On a recent trip from NH to FL I recorded a tank average mpg in the high thirties at a cruise control speed of 70mph on I-95. At 60 mph, the sweet spot, I hit 43 MPG and averaged 42.4 MPG. A Germain Toyota salesman in Naples, FL said I must have the Info Center switched to kilometers/litre. Ridiculous. This is an American Camry and the tank avg. is printed as MPG, not KPL.

Calculating the old way of dividing the mileage by the gallons used results in similar mileage figures. Am I really getting this kind of mileage?

PatriotPaul
    Sadly 42.4 kilometers per liter is much better "mileage" than 42.4 miles per gallons. Tells you a little about the salesman.

My Accord gets that mpg - Camry should as well. The key is steady driving and not going too fast. Of course a nice tail wind can make a huge difference.
  • dookie84dookie84 Member Posts: 33
    I don't understand how one person could squeeze 43 mpg with similar driving to mine on a long highway trip. I have a 2010, 4 cylinder with 15,000 miles and the most I have ever achieved is 33 mpg. How could the Govt EPA estimates be 10 miles less than the 43 MPG and one person get 30% better mpg than another?
    What else but driving 60 mpg - no quick starts or quick passing - with clear road conditions in the summer and not a heavy load could be done to increase gas mileage? I'm confounded by these #s.
  • patriotpaulpatriotpaul Member Posts: 6
    The numbers were achieved on I-95 in the Carolina's (level road with little wind) with the cruise control set for 60mph. I filled the tank at one exit, drove for eight hours and refilled the tank at the next exit. I'm told by the selling dealer that the oil is synthetic, which I've never used before. Could that have made the difference?
    You need all highway to get the real high numbers. 10 minutes of driving around can take several mpg off of an otherwise excellent tank.
  • kenymkenym Member Posts: 405
    I don't understand how one person could squeeze 43 mpg with similar driving

Perhaps yours is actual and lets be nice and say his is maybe not so actual. ;) .

Reminds me of a guy I golf with who just has to have a low handicap even if it's fictional. If you don't count every shot in golf or don't count every gallon of gas in a fill up. Your handicap or mpg can be what ever you want it to be.. :sick:
    Don't call somebody a liar until you drive an entire tank at 60mph.

Try it and report back if you don't get 40 mpg.
    "Calculating the old way of dividing the mileage by the gallons used results in similar mileage figures. Am I really getting this kind of mileage? "

Sure. Not everyone is able to achieve the top-notch figures, but even the older Camrys, and certainly the hybrids, approach those figures. My 2007 5-speed stick could do 40+ under the right circumstances, no reason why a new 6 speed auto couldn't do at least that good.
    "Don't call somebody a liar until you drive an entire tank at 60mph.

Try it and report back if you don't get 40 mpg."

Agreed. On modern interstates, I've found it difficult to keep the speed that low for any long period of time. Secondaries out west you can do it, but even there you are forced to slow down and go through a town occasionally, which can hurt the mileage.

At a steady 60 on a 2007 5speed stick I could do 40+, but then I'd get back on the interstate at the half tank mark, start going 70 again, and the average would end up near 40mpg.

At 60 speady in the hybrid, moderate temperatures, mixed A/C, the hybrid can do 43-46mpg or so. It actually doesn't mind the small towns, because the hybrid will shut down and you just coast around and through it, and you can actually get a mileage boost from them. At regular highway speeds, 65-75 mph, the hybrid can still return 41-44 mpg, move that to 75-80mph and throw in some wind or temps and it can get as low as 33-34 mpg. On a trip to Alaska and back it was about 39mpg overall,