Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Silverado 1500 3:73 - vs- 4:10 gear ratio

rjb43rjb43 Member Posts: 2
edited August 2015 in Chevrolet
I am looking at two Chevy Silverado 1500 3dr ext.
cabs. Both have the 5.3,4spd auto trans,autotrac
4wd, P265/75R16 tires. The only difference is the
rear gear ratios 3:73 vs 4.10. Does any one have
any back on the gas mileage for the above
configurations. GM states their is only a 1 mpg
difference. Most of my driving is in the city but
when I get on the open road I like to move along at
75+

Thanks
Ray

See Also
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 - MPG

Comments

• f150rulesf150rules Member Posts: 195
    People who have the 4:10 gear swear there is a huge difference in power. I havn't experienced a great difference in the ones I have driven in comparison to the 3:73, but I havn't driven one daily so I am not perhaps the best to say. I would doubt that you will see more than 1 mpg difference in mileage though, so I would still opt for the 4:10 if it is available at a decent price. I would have gotten the 4:10 in my F150 if it was offered, but I have not been at all disappointed in peformance from the 3:55 gear it has. Engine and transmission to rear diff match has more to do with it than just differential gearing by itself.
  • vince4vince4 Member Posts: 1,268
    I have the 4.10 in my 2000 Silverado 2500. I choose it because I carry a camper and wanted every bit of go power possible. Also because I expect to put bigger tires on which reduces the effective ratio. Other than towing/hauling I'd say stick with the 3.73. It's a nice all around ratio. You may as well take the 1mpg and also enjoy the lower rpm when zipping down the freeway. From all I read on the Siverado board people are quite happy with the 5.3 power with 3.73.
  • mrurlmrurl Member Posts: 116
    I've got the 3.73 with the 5.3l and am quite happy with the power. I'm getting about 16.5 mpg in around town driving.

Peter
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    8.1 - 4:56

Dean
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    4:10 with 6.0....1st gear is only 2:48....which is good for hauling....but lags for commuting.....with the Allsion....I'd have to see what it's first gear was?.....course if I had an Allison/Duramax....I'd get the max rear cuz I'd most likely have it for a 5th wheel or something.

- Tim
  • jaijayjaijay Member Posts: 162
    The Max rearend for the Duramax/Allison is 3.73. You would want to keep RPM low for the diesel, redline 3500 or so rpm. All of your power is in the low RPM range.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    5.3 with the 3.73 is the way to go if your not doing much towing
    oops..you are right for diesels....I'd have an 8.1

sorry

- Tim
  • bob332bob332 Member Posts: 137
    Of the two ratios mentioned, also recommend you get the 3.73. I think of the 4.10 as being better if you are doing a lot of serious hauling and towing in hills, etc. Sounds like the 3.73 will be more than adequate for your needs. Enjoy the lower rpms on the highway and better mpg. Bob
  • rcoosrcoos Member Posts: 167
    I have the 3.73 in my truck. I have a 2000 1/2 ton LT X/C 4WD. I am not towing anything heavy (small ATV trailer) & am happy with the 3.73.

The 5.3 with 3.73 in the rear should run at around 1650 rpms at 60 mph. The 4.10 around 1800 rpms at the same speed.

Just my two cents worth!
    rcoos
  • mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    Reason being: I have a manual transmission with a 5.61 low gear and a 3.04 2nd gear.

Rcoos - the 2500's and 1500's w/manual trans have a different OD than the 1500 w/auto. Both my trucks run 3.73 and 1800 rpm at 60mph. And I'd guess you have the 265 tires which also slows down the engine a bit.

Mike L
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    Stick with stock size tires I would (did) go with the 3.73 - If you plan to up size to the 285 75 tires I would get the 4.10's. Since passing 11K miles I have been getting almost 16mpg - in town-a/c on, average speed is 23-25 mph. Not bad for a full size 4x4. I only got 15 mpg with my Nissan 4x4.

When I bought my truck the 4.1 was a no cost option - I saw somewhere that GM was going to start charging a few hundred $$ for the lower rear end, but can't say for sure.
  • rrichfrrichf Member Posts: 211
    I've got the Power Stroke and a 3.73 with the automatic. In overdrive, there are about 35 MPH per 1000 RPM. At about 2050 RPM I'm running close to 70 and at 2500 RPM I'm in the 85 MPH range. That RPM range is ideal for driving.

If you're into stop light racing and/or heavy towing the 4.11 would be best. With my 3.73 if I have to tow I can always lock it out of overdrive or in extremes pull it down a gear.

Rich
  • davec1257davec1257 Member Posts: 24
    I've got the 3.73 with a 4.8L. Could this account for sluggish performance during commute?
    I had a '99 with the 4.8 and 3.42. Wasn't awe inspiring, but neither was it sluggish. The 3.73 is a good all around. Shouldn't be sluggish with the 4.8. My opinion anyway.
  • rjb43rjb43 Member Posts: 2
    I found a GMC with 5.3 & 4:10 setup. In addition
    the dealer has added a bedliner,mud flaps, and bug deflector. I can get the GMC for $600 cheaper than the Chevy with the 5.3 - 3:73 set up. The question is. Although I truly want the 5.3 -3:73 set up, is the difference in MPG worth $600.

Thanks

Ray
  • mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    In a word - NO!

The difference is very minor ~ 200rpm at 65mph. No real difference in fuel economy, but 10% more pulling power with the 4.10.

If it is the truck you want otherwise, don't let the 4.10's bother you. Obviously it is a 4wd, you'll like the lower ratio when in 4wd lo range creeping down some hill.

Mike L
  • vince4vince4 Member Posts: 1,268
    Go tell the Chevy dealer you can get a GMC cheaper. Get them to match it.
  • rrichfrrichf Member Posts: 211
    rjb43,
    I have to agree with vince4. You want the 3.73. You'll be happy with the 3.73. If you get the 4.10 you'll be riding around for 3-5 years saying to yourself, "I should have gotten that 3.73!"

Be sure to tell the Chevy dealer that you can get the GMC for $500 less AND that the GMC dealer has tossed in a bed liner to make the deal. So, Chevy dealer what are you going to do?

Rich
  • wesyangwesyang Member Posts: 32
    If I have a 3.73 gear. Can I tow stuff more than 7800? How about if I manually lock the gear at low when I start moving the truck.
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    If you haven't tried the 4.10 with the 5.3L 4x4, I just shake my head. I've driven both. The 4.10 is peppier, and especially good in hill country, or high altitude. There's not much of an economy penalty either. Less shifting going up and down hills.
    with any engine get a 4:10....unless you are a strictly commuter on flat ground.....(course I would still get a 4:10)....

with O.D.....it's silly not to...

My 3 cents

- Tim
    Highly over-rated three cents at that

Anytime you buy a GM truck, better get the lowest gearing possible to compensate for the GM engine's lack of power. GM highly over-rates their powertrain specs for marketing.
  • cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    and your free advise is about what you would expect for something free...
    ..I read some hot air?.....nothing more..

ahhhhh...the baby who is afraid to come to the site where we can have real talks...

- Tim
    GM trucks know what hot air is for sure. GM has their trucks running temps well over 195 degrees because it is the only way they can meet emissions!

Ping...ping....ping ping ping! LOL!
    roasting hot or freezing cold and I have yet to hear ping...must be that 5.4 in a 3/4 ton?

- Tim
  • cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    he just needs to hear himself talk...

its the only person he's smart enough to argue with...so just let him.

Kinda like one of those little kiddy toys, we get to shake him up every once in a while and see what happens:

Crap falls to the bottom everytime...
    ..yup..he's the only one like him...that's for sure..

LOL

- Tim
    Taking a quote out of context...that's pretty good even though it doesn't tell the whole story. I do enjoy reading my style of writing....LOL!

So where's your brother dodgeram7? Out playing with the other crazies in your ward? Hehehe....

Justice has a swift hand when dealing with the likes of you. I'll bet your time here is actually shorter than you think....LMFAO!!

Good luck on this one now!!

obyone
  • meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
    After 30 or more days of inactivity....

this topic is being "frozen." It will be archived or deleted in the next 10 days or so.

Front Porch Philosopher
    SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host
This discussion has been closed.