Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Real World MPG

Comments

• wheels_r_superwheels_r_super Member Posts: 44
    That sounds way low for that car. After watching and using the accumulated MPG readout on the Solar A5-4Cl, I can flat out tell you that cold starts are the number one killer of gas mileage, followed by bumper-to-bumper rush-hour.
    My Solar will show 36 MPG after getting gas in town with a hot engine. Doing the same thing leaving home from a cold garage, it is like 24 MPG. Big difference. So going out to lunch every day means starting a cold engine and that will get ya also in the final calculations.
    2. I especially avoid rush-hour. The heat that builds up under the hood, sitting thru stop lights and congestion, (especially if you don't have the air on which turns on the dual fans) is a killer for batteries, MPG, and hoses.
    I generally do not replace the OEM battery in a car for at least 5 years. Same for rubber. Heavy traffic is bad for everything on a car.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    I agree with drem. "City" driving is so variable that it's hard to compare with others' reports. Consider the difference between Manhattan, NYC and Manhattan, Kansas.

A long trip using cruise control would be a better gauge. Better yet, a longer trip with multiple tankfuls would be the most accurate indicator for comparison purposes.
  • janderson8janderson8 Member Posts: 30
    I get the same mileage on a 2000 camry 4 cyl, so you can imagine how that makes me feel! (And have since we bought it new.) We've never thought the car performed as it should but could never get the dealer to do anything to fix it. So...we hardly ever drive it (using our Honda Civic which gets almost twice the mileage) and thus we won't be back for another Camry for a LONG time! We usually drive 5 mile trips to work in easy city traffic, but even when we drive longer trips, the mileage isn't good. And we have rarely, if ever, gotten the 29 mpg highway mileage the car should get...usually more like 26 or so.
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    Take some of these high mileage claims with a grain of salt.
  • dremdrem Member Posts: 24
    janderson8,

With and engine and car that is designed to get good fuel economy slight changes in driving habits can make for big differences in overall mileage, but your 26 mpg highway mileage is too far below normal to be expected in my opinion. I don't know what shape your car/engine is in, but here is a suggestion...

Take it to another reputable mechanic shop other than your Toyota dealer. Have them align all four wheels, make sure the brakes are positioned properly, put 35psi in the tires (nitrogen if you can get it), tune the engine (include an injector clean if it hasn't been done in 25,000 miles) and put in 5-30w motor oil.

Go on a Saturday drive! Take the car on a 300-400 mile highway round trip run at 65mph on cruise control. Don't worry much about the terrain and use the A/C and the stereo if you want. Stop and have lunch, too. Try to fill up at the same pump at the beginning and end of the trip and fill to the first pump stop both times.

Let us know the results. This test is designed to focus just on the condition of the car and engine and isn't too dependent on the weather or road conditions. It is designed to take the driver OUT of the equation. You should easily be able to hit 35 mpg+.

Drem
  • wheels_r_superwheels_r_super Member Posts: 44
    Right about the salt.

If I had a car that average over 36 MPG, there would probably be a major valve job in my future, as a lean running engine is hell on valves and their seals.

But if I got less than 34.x average in Interstate driving, discounting construction traffic jambs, I'd also be looking for good answers.

I agree on the city thing, but here is my status anyway on the 07 LE:
    For the first three fills for driving to work 8mi one way, subdivision to country back into city - first fill 27 MPG. Second - 28. Third 29.
    No traffic going, and Medium traffic coming back.

The 2000 mile trip all interstate averaged close to 35, even though fills with different pumps (some slow and some fast) ranged from 32 to 40 MPG.
    So I will never quote average MPG based on a single fill. Even if you follow the rule of "no top offs", you are in trouble because a fast pump will trip the pump long before it is full. This is a fact. As I mentioned, I registered 40 MPG on one fill. My previous fill was a very slow pump so I got a full tank without trying.
    wheels,

Another 340 mile highway trip today averaged 36.7mpg with 100% A/C and CC set at 72mph. Same pump, same fill speed, etc., etc. This is just another of a hundred highway drives between 36-37mpg with an engine at 87,000 miles.

In another two months I will be getting a timing belt change, injector clean, full tune and new synthetic oil. It will be interesting to see what difference, if any, a new tune will make.

Regards,

Drem
  • manujawsmanujaws Member Posts: 29
    I did exactly as suggested. I went on a round trip 600 miles. one way trip for 300 miles gave me an average of around 32 mpg. Drove at 65 and used cc for almost 99% of the trip. No major constructions zones and no hills or slopes as such. While coming back though, didn't use cc as it was getting mad with slopes and slight hills, but this time drove at nearly 80. Believe that the mpg shld come down to 26-28. ANd yes, 35 psi in tires. Used A/C (100%) and stereo all the time. Stopped three times for 5-10 mins each.
  • igrigr Member Posts: 17
    I bought 2004 Camry 2.4L 6 months ago and was taking fuel consumption notes since then. I changed air filter 1 month after purchase and keep tires pressure at about 32 psi.
    This is how I measure: I fill the tank only when I have exactly 1/4 left, write down ODO and amount of fuel. When fuel gauge indicator reaches the same 1/4 mark I do my math. If I need to add fuel before I can get indicator exactly to 1/4 mark I just add amount of fuel filled to previous record and wait till I get exact 1/4 indicator position.
    My findings so far are about 21 MPG in the city with occasional AC, driving about 13 miles a day. If I add about 30% of highway into the picture it goes up to 29 MPG.
    When AC is ON it's virtually impossible to increase the speed above 40 mph going 30-40 degrees uphill.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    :surprise: That is steep.
    manujaws,

I think your experience must just show the differences between engine/car setups and perhaps variability in manufacturing.

I just had a full tune-up including 36psi tires, new plugs, filters, all fluids and injector cleaning and took off to PA and back. Cruise set at 72 with only a few 62 mph areas. Both 505 mile non-stop trips. Going up was 36.7 mpg. Coming back was 37.7 mpg.

The tune-up after 30,000 miles seemed not to improve the mileage although the engine idled a bit smoother.

So my experience to dat with the 2004, 4 cyl auto is 36-37 mpg at 72 cruise, 40 mpg at 66 cruise and 44 mpg at 62 cruise. Hard to beat without spending the money on a hybrid or diesel.

Regards,

Drem
  • aznmaskaznmask Member Posts: 21
    Last time i goes to Six Flag,, and i drove like 2hr+ and i goes like 80mph. And my mileage is so good.. i think it is like 25mpg.

*** my conclusion is not all highway is the same, unless it it state highway consider "HIGHWAY" other those busy highway with a lot of braking still like a local street.
  • phd86phd86 Member Posts: 110
    I am partially amused, but more distressed by this type of message, that reports astonishing mileages of 30 or 36 or even more mpg on a toyota camry. The car doesn't do it. Yours doesn't. Mine doesn't. Nobody's does. It get's 26-28 mpg, on 100% freeway. That is it. It doesn't matter how you drive. Of course, anybody can say anything on the web - me included. But do you keep a written record of every fillup since you bought the car? Including exact number of freeway miles? I do. Do you have all the receipts? I have mine.

Willing to post those receipts as pdf's so we can all see them? And certified records of your odometer readings at said dates? I'd sure like to see them. If not, then what is this? A bunch of web-chitchat with no proof.

Or do you just look at the odometer and gas meter on random occasions, and say, yippee, I just went 200 miles on a quarter tank! That's 5 gallons, so I'm going 40 mpg. Well, dude, I don't do that and ummm, yahh, I don't think that's real accurate reporting.

What's worse about drem's message is that he/she implies that it has something to do with alleged maintenance, or additives. The colorful modifier's like "I'm sure I got 37 mpg going up.." should bring pause for suspicion.

Does anyone out there really believe that the range of maximum mileage can vary by almost 50% (from 26 to 40)? I think there are a bunch of "hopers" out there that, having invested $20K in some car just imagine any way in their head of thinking they are getting great mileage, when they aren't.

There are two primary unintended consequences of this type of thread. A) people think there is something "wrong" with their car because they don't get 30 mpg on the freeway, and B) they go out and buy the car in the first place.

Bottom line: if you want to know the TRUE mileage of the toyota camry (or anything else), there's a cheaper way than buying a new car. You don't have to believe DREM or ME, or anyone else. Just rent it for a week for a road trip. Alot cheaper than a new car.

Otherwise, here's my free unbiased report on the camry driven on flat ground, full tanks, 65 mph, freeway only - 2004, 2005, 2006, or 2007.

26-28 mpg.

Have a nice day.
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    phd,

I think you are in the right range, but possibly a little low. My early post #372 without any regard for 'trying' to eek out better mileage, yielded a road trip at 29.3 mpg (28.5 when the cars speedometer/odometer error is corrected for). This was over a 1K trip, with typical travel speeds at 70-75 mph, however airconditioning was not needed/running.

I would suspect that if REALLY wanted to try to maximize mpg (increase tire pressures, drop speed down to 50-55mph, reduce weight, etc).... that we could get over30+ mpg. A hypothetical 5-10% improvement would put it at 30/31.

I too, would question 'substantially' higher numbers for the masses. However, I could see an occasional statistical outlyer (prevailing winds, traffic, altitude/winds/barometric pressures all could have an effect).
  • jgfanjgfan Member Posts: 9
    Well, here is what I did to get better gas mileage...I traded my 2007 Camry in on a 2007 Honda Civic Hybrid!! Now, I get around 32 city and 45 Hwy. I am a much happier consumer. :)
    Nope: don't agree - 35 mpg isn't a statistical outlier, its a bad measurement, or something that hasn't been measured at all. These cars are made on an assembly line. They are substantially the same.

A case in point is the 1,000 mile trip you mention. That's basically 2 tankfuls and change. Unless you have a dipstick in which you filled the tank to the exact same level, you could have underfilled the last fillup by anywhere from 1-4 gallons.

I've tested the car with REALLY trying all that stuff (tire pressure, reduced speed, no luggage, no other people in car, zero wind). I've even compared 65 with 55 and not seen a hint of difference; of course, when I do that - its with a minimum of five consecutive tanks (about 2,000 miles). You can leave your A/C off till the cows come home and this car will not average 30 mpg.

Let me be clear on three things. First, I'm not questioning the higher number for the masses. I'm questioning anyone and everyone who claims the car gets 30 mpg or more, under any condition of pure freeway. Second, the 26-28 mpg is PURE freeway driving - not a mix. My mixed mileage is about 20-23. Third, it is not just my car. I have tested a number of rental camrys since 2004. They all get the same (or worse) than my 2004.

If you are buying a car for mileage, the camry 2004-2007 is not it.
    Oh, you're back after so many moons and still displaying the same skepticism?

Well, I have a 2004 Camry and a 2005. The '04 definitely gets better mileage on the highway compared to the '05. Both are 4-cylinder cars, the older one with the 4-speed, the newer with a 5-speed auto. My averages for trips only (mostly freeway): about 35 for the older one and 32 for the newer one. I'm only giving the approximate numbers without going into the specifics because you and other doubters refuse to believe them.

Why in the world would you keep all your receipts? I just copy my information onto a spreadsheet. And no, I don't use a dipstick in filling my gas tank, but I try to use the same technique every time. Nor do I keep track of freeway vs. other miles -- who seriously does that, besides you? But I do try to refill just before leaving and right after getting back from a major highway trip, to see what I got. And I have checked my odometers against highway mileposts. I never use the trip computer on the '05 for my record keeping -- it's wildly optimistic.

If you want to temporarily place your e-mail address in your profile, I'll send you my gas mileage spreadsheets.

We've discussed this before, but below is my record from a cross-country trip with the older Camry (almost 3700 miles). This is my longest single trip by far; typically my longest are to Indy and back (about 1200 miles, not enough according to you).

When we drove our '04 Camry back from Los Angeles to central VA in December 2005, we filled the tank 10 times. Most of the driving was highway, mainly 2-lane major highways like US 395, 6, 50, and 56, but some interstates, more so in the east. We did tour many small towns looking at the neat architecture of some of the older buildings, and we also looped through Arches National Park.

The weather was mostly quite cold once we left LA, but it did get over 60 degrees on the warmest day (Kansas City area). Of course, the altitude and terrain varied greatly. Speeds out west on the highway were primarily 65 or 70 mph; 55 to 65 mph east of the Mississippi.

But for what it's worth, here's our record (gallons to fill, mpg, brand and place):

14.20 26.7 Shell, Bishop, CA (includes city driving in LA)
    10.82 29.2 Shell, Ely, NV
    12.46 32.4 Sinclair, east UT
    14.15 30.3 Phil 66, east CO
    15.27 31.2 Brothers, west KS
    14.35 28.5 Shell, Kansas City, MO
    15.42 35.5 Shell, Spencer, IN
    5.10 25.5 BP, Indianapolis
    15.60 31.1 Kroger, Elkins, WV
    6.95 27.7 Exxon, home

Overall avg: 30.3 mpg. I would say I may have "overfilled" the tank in Kansas City, which was reflected in the "best" mileage of the trip on the next leg. The top-off in Indy resulted in as per usual for me, low mpg.

This trip was done with 3 adults and a very full load of furniture and other luggage. The trunk was crammed to capacity, and the back seat was filled with a lot of stuff also, with just enough room for one of us to sit properly in the right rear.

Of course, you won't believe this because it isn't documented to your standards. Whatever.

Oh, and how did the Camry get to L.A.? My son drove it out alone the preceding summer, but he doesn't bother with gas mileage records. :(
    Another poster said, If you are using pure gas compared to the 10% acohol that is in a lot of gas that will be your difference.

I responded as follows:

Maybe in a lab under carefully controlled conditions, you'd see a difference with 10% ethanol vs. "pure gas," but not on the road with so many other variables in play.

As an example, here are the calculated mpg values for my '04 Camry 4-cylinder since the first of the year. The car is used pretty much the same way: 3-4 days a week for commuting on mostly highways (35 miles round trip), plus weekend duty for short trips into town and occasional, somewhat longer trips into neighboring counties. There were NO long trips taken with this car during the period.

I used only 4 brands of gas, all 87 octane: Hess, Exxon, Sheetz, and East Coast, the last labeled as containing no ethanol (and in bold font below).

1/14/07 29.0
    2/2/07 28.2
    2/18/07 26.9
    2/25/07 25.6
    3/3/07 30.2
    3/29/07 30.0
    4/22/07 29.1
    5/12/07 28.1
    5/31/07 28.4
    6/9/07 26.5
    7/1/07 27.5
    7/11/07 24.4
    7/29/07 27.7
    8/12/07 26.0
    9/1/07 27.1

As you can see, there is quite a bit of variance, but the only pattern discernible is somewhat better mileage during the spring when ambient temperature was warm but not hot, and no a/c was being used. Winter mpg didn't suffer much either, but the car is garaged overnight, and the temperature doesn't go below 40 degrees. The worst mileage occurred during our brutally hot summer, when I had to use the a/c pretty much all the time (even on some humid mornings).
    Unless you have a dipstick in which you filled the tank to the exact same level, you could have under filled the last fill up by anywhere from 1-4 gallons.

phd,

You are way off base and exaggerating, if you think you can't top off a gas tank at the beginning and end of a trip.....and have under filled the tank from 1-4 gallons.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Last two tanks on my '07 manual transmission was 30.4 mpg and 30.8 mpg. This is running AC all the time, 35% city, 65% highway (2 lane with a few traffic lights).

No complaints here.
    I suppose phd's beef is that because his Camry doesn't get better than the high 20s, he's very skeptical that others can do better. But I agree that refilling short by 1 to 4 gallons is exaggerating. If I refill short by a gallon or so for whatever reason unintentionally, it's immediately apparent on the gas gauge, and I count that particular fuel stop as "not filled" in my records.

The corollary for him is that two consecutive readings aren't enough. You have to take the car on at least a 2,000-mile trip to "smooth out" any inconsistencies in filling the tank.

Well, how often do people take 2,000 mile trips by car these days? The only exception would be traveling salespeople or commuters who regularly drive very long distances on largely traffic-free highways. The latter has to be rare.

I wonder if the rental Camrys phd says he tested have all been put through this same regimen (2,000 mile all-highway trips). For one thing, he'd have to immediately top off the fuel tank of each rental as soon as he starts out, because the tank might not "really" be full.
    .....and if his tank isn't "really" full to begin with, then it will appear that he has consumed more gas than he really has, yielding a lower mileage per gallon.
    Right, and I'm sure this is common. When I return a rental, I fill up at a cheaper place away from the airport. So when the car is turned in, the gauge still reads "full" but obviously some fuel has been consumed.
    Those super low mpg comments should be taken with a grain of salt. One big giveaway is stating that 55 mph and 65 mph net the same mpg (not possible) and that all mpg numbers are over 5 tanks. 5 tanks consecutive without getting off of the highway is a long way. ;)

I wound up with an Accord, but the EPA mpg is similar to the Camry. I get way way over 30 mpg. In fact my mpg over 16,000 miles (dozens of tanks) is at 33.5 mpg. My best mpg for one tank is 43.8 (going 520 miles at 60 mph - including a few very small towns). My numbers are calculated by hand and confirmed by a scangauge (which is always within a few percent of the hand calcs).

I have a 2007 Accord MT with 39 psi tires and 0w-20 synthetic oil.

I am certain that a Camry can easily get 30 mpg on the highway, and 40 mpg if driven for excellent mileage.
    phd,

I am not sure why you can't get above 26-28 mpg with your Camry, But just for your information, I just completed another road trip to DC area, with a time averaged 66 mph over 322 miles, and got 35.9 mpg. Returning home was a time averaged 67 mph and got 36.3 mpg.

I don't keep receipts, but I calculate every tankful I use. Whether you believe it or not I always get mileage in this range. Interestingly, but anecdotally, I checked with four other Camry owners and one Accord owner and asked them what their typical highway mileage was...

#1: '93 4-cyl AT 142,000 miles driving 65-70mph...36-37 mpg
    #2: '04 4 cyl AT 32,000 miles driving 70mph...35-36 mpg
    #3: '97 4-cyl AT 65,000 miles driving 70mph...35-36 mpg
    '97 4-cyl AT 65,000 miles driving 60mph...39-40 mpg
    '97 4-cyl AT 65,000 miles driving 60mph...44 mpg
    #4: '93 6-cyl AT 182,000 miles driving 70mph...31-32 mpg
    #5: '07 4-cyl AT (Accord) 27,000 miles driving 70mph...35-36mpg

Now mine...

#1: '99 4-cyl AT 87,000 miles driving at 72mph...36-37 mpg
    driving at 66mph...40 mpg
    driving at 60mph...44 mpg
    #2: '04 4-cyl AT 28,000 miles driving at 72mph...35-36 mpg
    driving at 66mph...40 mpg

My mileage in NC winters knocks about 2 mpg off my non-highway numbers, but nothing noticeable on highway numbers.

So it is quite inaccurate to say that a Camry won't possibly get above 28 mpg as many clearly do. It is possible that higher percentages of ethanol will certainly decrease your mileage. A car getting 30 mpg on 0% ethanol would be expected to get about 18 mpg on 100% ethanol, 20 mpg on E85, about 29 on 10% ethanol, etc. This is something to to be taken into account.

BTW you won't get quite as good mileage on a new rental as the engine hasn't loosened up. All my cars bought new have gained about 2 mph from 0 to ~50,000 miles.

drem
  • dooreeroodooreeroo Member Posts: 5
    Hey fellow Camry owners! :)

I will be buying a 08 Camry sometime in the Spring. I'm torn between the V6 and 4cylinder only because the V6 claims to get just about the same as the 4 banger.

I'm reading everyone's posts and everything is mixed.

So here's what I gather from you guys....
    ReaL WorLd EPA:

V6: 28 mpg hwy / 20mpg city
    4cyl: 34 mpg hwy / 24mpg city

Does that seem about accurate? :P

I'm also considering getting the XLE 4 cylinder. But if its too expensive maybe I'll just settle for the LE 4 cyl.

What do you guys think? :)
    I'd get the LE 4-cylinder. If you want the extra doodads, get the XLE 4. If you must have more power (I personally don't think it's necessary), get the V6.
    I went to a Local Toyoa Dealer lot, and couldn't help but notice that the V6 and 4 cylinder were identical in MPG figures. Both were 22mpg city / 31 mpg hwy

Did they post up the wrong papers or what?
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    Were they both 2008 models? The EPA revised their procedure for 2008 so mileage numbers are lower than they were in 2007 and earlier. You'll definitely get better mileage with the 4 but the actual savings obviously depends on how many miles you drive in a year. At 12,000 miles a year assuming 4 mpg difference and $3 gas, it's only $250 a year savings for the 4.
    Imacmil is right about the change in procedure by the EPA for 2008 models.

The Camry 4 cylinder (automatic or manual) transmission is 21 city, 31 highway

The V6 (auto only) is 19 city, 28 highway.

This is the source.
  • prochefprochef Member Posts: 1
    I have a 06 SC Solara V6 I am a commuter to be sure
    160 mile per day almost all freeway 405/5 So Cal.
    I average 29.3 mpg putting on just under
    40k in the first year, actually not bad and
    its provides a nice ride in the process
    like the saying goes Give Us Your Two Cents
    and we'll give you change.
    Jim
    Yah you know what... :D

I think I'll just get the Camry LE 4cyl. It has all that I need and even a auto adjustable seat. :shades:

What price should I be fighting for?
    Does 20k sound reasonable for a LE? :confuse:
  • igrigr Member Posts: 17
    Can't tell you about V6, but my Camry LE, 2004, 4 cyl., automatic is 20-21 MPG in the city and about 29 MPG on the highway. 4 banger seems to be struggling speeding the car up from the full stop (city), but is sufficient on the highway because of the constant speed. Going uphill steep can be challenging too, especially with AC on.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Here's a good resource for you: Camry Prices Paid and Buying Experience.

Good luck - keep us posted!
    Hey,

Thanks Pat!! :) :P :blush:
    There is no chance the OP "drem" ever got 35 mpg.

Like many posts, his (#434 on this thread) drives a bunch of freeway miles, then underfills on the fillup.

Look at the post. He says he went 322 miles. Gives me pause to wonder, well, if this is such great mileage, why do you need to fill up? According to the post, there were instances in which people are getting an alleged 35-40 mpg on this car. That means they should be able to pull say 35 X 18.5 miles (647 miles) and not need a fill up. Know anyone who has gotten 650 miles on a single tank on their camry? I don't. how about 600. Nope. 550. Nope again. How about checking this entire sub-forum? 400+ posts - how many report 650 miles. none. not even 600. not a one.

Know why? Because as sure as the sun will rise tomorrow, if "drem" attempts to drive 600 miles without a fillup, his/her tank would be dry. There would be no gas in it. But "drem" says he/she gets 40, so that means "drem" should be able to drive 700 miles without filling up. Never happened, and never will happen.

Here's my response to the statement "many clearly do" (get better than 28 mpg):

NO WAY. No one does. No one ever did. It does not happen. Not 40, not 35, not 31, not even 30 mpg as a true pure freeway mileage; and by "true", I don't mean a single tank which has a 2 gallon inaccuracy on the fillup. I mean at least 5 consecutive tankfuls. Go ahead, next road trip, keep your reciepts. Then you can post something. But asking your friends who keep no records, I just don't buy it and neither should anyone else. It's not your driving vs. mine, tire pressure, your car, your maintenance, ethanol, or any other factor.

BTW, my last two tanks yielded 489 miles on 18.26 gallons (ran nearly dry), and 503 miles on 17.41 gallons. Essentially all freeway.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    "NO WAY. No one does. No one ever did. It does not happen. Not 40, not 35, not 31, not even 30 mpg as a true pure freeway mileage; and by "true", I don't mean a single tank which has a 2 gallon inaccuracy on the fillup. I mean at least 5 consecutive tankfuls."

My last 4 fill-ups were done at the same pump, driving nearly the same routes. I calculate my mpg as accurate as possible. As soon as the pump stops, I am done (I never add a few extra squirts). I take my "trip B" odometer reading (which I clear out at the gas station after filling), divided by the gallons off the receipt.

Guess what? Once again, my average is 30.5 mpg, about what I always get on my normal commute. This is a '07 CE manual transmission, using the AC. 35% city, 65% highway (2 lane with a few traffic lights).

It is a fact you can get 30mpg (maybe more). I am in the finance profession, so I know a little bit about calculating numbers and accuracy! I will calculate a pure highway mpg when the opportunity becomes available.
    So why did you ignore my post -- a cross-country trip with 10 fillups, and not even mostly freeway but rather 2-lane roads, and I still averaged over 30 mpg (post #426)? Also my next post gave my day in/day out mileage from January to September of this year without a single long trip. Still got in the upper 20s overall.

Just because you can't do it doesn't mean others can't. Either your car isn't right or you're not telling us the whole story about exactly how you drive.

Keeping receipts in and of themselves mean nothing -- they don't tell you the miles driven since the last fillup, and therefore cannot provide the mpg figures.

My offer still stands -- temporarily add your e-mail address to your profile and I'll send you my spreadsheets.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You could email him at his carspace address.
    You're right -- forgot about that, and I will do so. Thanks!
    Wow - some serious negativity about the Camry mpg.

We have one person that does not believe a Camry gets over 30 mpg - ever.

I will counter that by saying I don't believe that it is possible for a 4-cyl Camry driven at or below the speed limit on a highway trip to get below 30 mpg. In fact I strongly believe that 95% of people who drive the vehicle under those conditions would be hard pressed to get under 35 mpg.

Just because one person makes a big stink about an issue it does not negate the experiences of everybody else.
    Look at the post. He says he went 322 miles. Gives me pause to wonder, well, if this is such great mileage, why do you need to fill up? According to the post, there were instances in which people are getting an alleged 35-40 mpg on this car. That means they should be able to pull say 35 X 18.5 miles (647 miles) and not need a fill up. Know anyone who has gotten 650 miles on a single tank on their camry? I don't. how about 600. Nope. 550. Nope again. How about checking this entire sub-forum? 400+ posts - how many report 650 miles. none. not even 600. not a one.

This is getting a little silly. You may not need to fill up at 322 miles, but you may want to. As in, if I've already made a stop to take a bathroom break at a gas station, I might want to fill up at the same place if the price is right.

Also with my 2 Camrys, the "low fuel" light comes on when the gauge is very close to the "empty" mark. If I then drive another 30 or so freeway miles until the gauge reads "empty," I typically find that I can only put in about 15 gallons. The most I've ever put in was just over 16 gallons; my son when in L.A. once put in 17.30 gallons on the '04 when he had the car (I found the receipt in the car later).

Why would I want to risk running the tank dry just to prove a point? Plus I understand it isn't a good practice to do so because the in-tank fuel pump is cooled by the gasoline surrounding it. Finally, on the cross-country trip through the desolate parts of Nevada and Utah where the signs read "next gas 90 miles" or "next services 83 miles," you don't want to be playing games.

I just checked over my spreadsheets and I found one trip to Philadelphia and back in the '04 Camry where I filled the tank only once, just short of home, going 544.2 miles and putting in 15.01 gallons, yielding 36.3 mpg. Let's say I "underfilled" the tank by 3 whole gallons -- even that yields 30.2 mpg, and note that I've NEVER let the gauge drop so low that I can put in more than 16+ gallons.

On the cross-country trip, the longest leg between fill ups was 547.2 miles from Kansas City to Spencer, IN. I put in 15.42 gallons, yielding 35.5 mpg. Again, assuming a liberal 3-gallon underfill (tank would have been essentially dry), the mpg still would have been 29.7.

My odometer in the '04 is pretty much on the money also (less than 1% error).
    So when is it that you went 600 miles on one tank?

Oh, that's right....never.

3 gallons underfill? you probably underfilled by even more than that for that particular filling because you couldn't stand the thought of finding out what your actual mileage was, so you just shut it off at the first click.

And if you underfilled by more than 3 gallons, you were essentially running on fumes. 15+ 3 = 18, and the capacity of the tank is 18.5 gallons.

I suppose you could average things out by posting 5 consecutive tankfuls that yielded 35 mpg....well, where's that post?

I'll tell you why you can't do it....cause it never happened, that's why.

And what's this deal about never having to put in more than 16 gallons. What are you afraid of? Would it be, perhaps, running out of gas? Oh no, that couldn't be, because you get 35 miles per gallon. Or is it now 30? Whatever.

So make my day. Go 600 miles on a single tankful. According to you and the alleged "35 miles per gallon" theory, you should have 1.36 gallons left over - enough for you to go another 47.5 miles.

As clint once said - do you feel lucky?

Well do you?
  • janderson8janderson8 Member Posts: 30
    Well, we have a 2000 4 cyl Camry that has never gotten 30 mpg on the highway. In city driving it has NEVER averaged over 20 and is usually about 18.5 to 19 in summer and lower in winter by 1 or 2 mpg. We are careful drivers, don't jackrabbit start, try to time lights, etc. Even in mostly freeway and tollway driving it rarely gets even 28, so it is possible to have a Camry that doesn't get 30 on the highway. We asked the dealer about it several times when it was new, and they always said there was nothing they could do; that it checked out normal! It has been disappointing, to say the least.
    Now you're getting into the realm of the absurd. I went 544 miles and 547 miles...pretty damn close to 600 miles.

Why do I want to risk running out of gas? It isn't my idea of fun, and no, I'm not carrying my gas can for my lawn mower in my trunk on long trips.

3 gallons underfill? you probably underfilled by even more than that for that particular filling because you couldn't stand the thought of finding out what your actual mileage was, so you just shut it off at the first click.

How do you know what the hell I do? You sound like my mother! I went 544 and 547 miles; why wouldn't I want to find out what I really did in terms of mpg?

After the first click, I add another 25-35 cents (more lately with higher per gallon prices), stopping at 5, 10, 15... etc. cents. I don't want gas squirting out of the filler neck -- been there and done that!

Do you want my spreadsheets or not? Sounds like it's not worth the effort because you mind is made up. I wish we could swap cars, but that's not likely since we're on opposite sides of the country.

And it doesn't matter if you run the tank down to fumes, as long as you make your best effort to fill it the same way each time, at least as closely as possible., as mcdawg above has stated.

I gave you my 10 consecutive fill ups for the cross-country trip -- and averaged just over 30 mpg. What more do you want?

I suppose you could average things out by posting 5 consecutive tankfuls that yielded 35 mpg....well, where's that post? No can do, because I don't ordinarily take 3,000-mile long all-freeway trips -- who does these days? Do you?

And again to clarify -- 30.3 for a cross-country trip with 10 tankfuls under less than optimal conditions; 35 mpg on single tankfuls, which you regard as out of hand, even though in both cases, I went just short of 550 miles on a single tank.

Even if the tank was BONE DRY in both cases, then for 544 or 547 miles divided by 18.5 gallons, the mpg would be 29.4 and 29.6 mpg. Or are you going to say my odometer is off or the gas pumps were miscalibrated?

For someone presumably with a Ph.D., I find it odd that you can't comprehend this!

Do I feel lucky? Silly question. I'm quite happy with the gas mileage of my '04 Camry, and if you don't believe it, too bad!

Give up on him, don't waste any energy on him...just ignore his posts. Let him believe whatever he wants to.

I gave up when he indicated I didn't know how to calculate mpg. I'm an engineer and have been tracking mileage (verified w/gps), and calculating mpg longer than he's probably been out of diapers. I've had some vehicles where I tracked every gallon put into them for the 10+year life of the vehicle, when I had a business and tax reason to do so. His assertions are absurd.
    You're right; I'm getting too wrapped up in this. Thanks for the reality check.

I've been keeping mpg logs since I bought my first car in 1975 (still have them somewhere in the house).
  • troylikesbikestroylikesbikes Member Posts: 132
    I've only been keeping logs since 86. Rats.

4600 miles roundtrip to a shuttle launch last week. Denver to Pennsylvania to Florida to Houston to Denver. Trip average on 2007 CE, 2.4L 2AZ-FE with 5 speed manual, occasional A/C, 75-80mph everywhere I could get away with it, 2 adults and their junk, 35.2mpg

Lows of 32.5 and highs of 38.4. 35.2 is the trip average. I was hoping for 38+ if I went slow, but never really had the chance to go slow.
    Good, but phd doesn't believe any Camry owners really have manual transmissions. ;)
  • troylikesbikestroylikesbikes Member Posts: 132
    "NO WAY. No one does. No one ever did. It does not happen. Not 40, not 35, not 31, not even 30 mpg as a true pure freeway mileage; and by "true", I don't mean a single tank which has a 2 gallon inaccuracy on the fillup. I mean at least 5 consecutive tankfuls. Go ahead, next road trip, keep your reciepts. Then you can post something"

Why would you say this? I can crack 500 miles on a tank and still have more than 1/4 tank remaining. Just did 4600 miles with a 35+ AVERAGE for the entire trip. I was actually hoping for more, based on my experience with my 05 LE 5sp AT, I hit 36+ on that one on slow secondaries back east during a family trip to the beach. I figured the 5sp manual was good for at least 2mpg, and it is better, particularly around town, but not as good as I had hoped on a trip.

I was only doing 70-80mph most of the time, I still expect to get honest 37-38mpg if I could run an entire trip in the 55-60mph range.