Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Real World MPG

Comments

• gtgtcobragtgtcobra Member Posts: 268
    I just leased a brand new 2010 Camry LE and I want to get the "most" and the "maximum" fuel economy out of my car. I drive very conservatively and I do NOT race or abuse the car while driving it. This will be my point A to point B car for the next 3 years until my lease is up in December of 2013.

I am looking to try to get an average of 30 to 31 MPG fuel economy on my Camry LE. I see that a lot of people do not get that type of mileage and that they get in the mid or upper 20's in MPG fuel economy in their new 2010 Camrys.

When I received my new 2010 Camry LE on the 15th of December it came with a full tank of gas in it, but the needle on the gas gauge was "exactly" on the "F" LINE.

Well, I just filled the tank in my brand new 2010 Camry LE for the 1st time today with regular 87 octane fuel and when I did the mileage per gallon (MPG) calculation it showed that my Camry LE only got 18.17 MPG on its very first tank of gas. I had exactly 4 gallons left in the tank before filling up the car with gas again today.

I went 264 miles and I put 14.53 gallons of gasoline in the tank (264 miles/14.53 Gallons = 18.17 MPG).
    I have driven the car on the highway 2/3 of the time since I've owned it and I haven't gone over 65 and 68 MPH. I have also been varying my speed to below 60 MPH while on the highway. I have been driving the car "very gently".

WHY am I getting only 18 MPG on my very first tank of gas? Is anything wrong with my car? Does my new 2010 Camry LE need to be broken in more before I see decent gas mileage on it? Why am I getting such low gas mileage on my car? Does anybody here know? I live up here in the Northeast and I want to try to get 30 MPG fuel economy on my new Camry if I can. Why did my new 2010 Camry only get 18 MPG on its first tank of gas? What's wrong?
    I have the 2.5L, 4 cylinder automatic in my 2010 Camry LE by the way.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    You cannot base your mpg on the first fuel-up. #1 you don't know if the tank was full or not - basing it on the fuel gauge is NOT accurate. #2 - the car was probably taken on many short trips and lots of idling at the dealer, which is ZERO miles per gallon. There is nothing wrong, enjoy your new car. Don't worry, just take it to the same pump, when it clicks off, then look at how many gallons you put in. Then take the number of miles since the last fuel up, and divide that by the gallons. Now do that at least 3 times to get a better overall average (add the 3 overall miles and 3 overall gallons put in and divide).
    Just so you know, the 2010 Camry LE, 2.5L automatic which I picked from the dealer's lot had ONLY 3 miles on the odometer. It was NEVER driven by anybody else other than the people who delivered the car to the dealership from the factory in Kentucky where the car was manufactured. The dealer had the car on the lot for less than 1 week before I leased it. The only thing that the dealer did to my Camry was prep the car for delivery and also add a full tank of gas to it. When I picked up my new 2010 Camry LE from the dealer it had ONLY 5 miles on the odometer.

ALSO, the needle on the gas gauge was exactly at the very top "first line" full marker when I took delivery of my new car.

I have been driving my new 2010 Camry "very gently" since I got it. Just yesterday, I filled the tank up with regular unleaded gasoline and the needle on the gas gauge has gone ALL THE WAY UP beyond and past the letter "F" full marker.

I still don't know WHY I got ONLY 18 MPG on the first 3/4 tank of gasoline??
    I rechecked the calculations that I did and I am 100% sure that I only got 18 MPG with the 264 miles that I drove in the car.

Do you think that the MPG fuel economy mileage will get much better during the 2nd gasoline fill-up that I just did? What have other people gotten for fuel economy and gasoline mileage on their first full tank of gas when they picked up their brand new Camry LE, 2.5L automatics??

I am hoping that my car will start getting 30 MPG very soon. I NEED to be able to get an overall 30 MPG fuel economy in my Camry LE. The biggest reason why I got the Camry LE was because I needed a car that was able to get an overall 30 MPG fuel economy.
    HOW LONG do you think before I start getting 30 MPG fuel economy? Is there a "realistic" time frame before I will get the 30 MPG fuel economy that I am looking for? What do you think? I am starting to worry that I will not get the 30 MPG fuel economy that I want in this particular vehicle.
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    5K miles
    Again, you cannot count the first tank - you do not know how much it was idling, etc. And no matter what it looked like, you don't know for sure about the actual amount of fuel in the tank. Don't worry about it. I agree - wait until you have at least a few thousand on it. The Camry will give you 30+ mpg IF your driving style, circumstances, environment, etc. support it. Mine does, but I have also seen very low 20s, but it was because of lots of short trips, idling, etc. etc.

Also, winter blend gasoline cuts 1 or 2 mpg off.
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    agreed, depending on the vehicle, sometimes after 2500 miles you can start to get pass the break in but typically you need to give the vehicle to 5k miles till your past the break in period and you can start figuring pretty accurately what the avg mpg is for the car!
    Okay, I will take your advice.
    I will monitor the fuel consumption for the next 3 to 4 gasoline fill-ups until my car has 1,500 to 2,000+ miles on it. The car currently has only 270 miles on it right now.
    I will drive very conservatively hoping that the gasoline mileage will get better and go up to 30 MPG. I will try to not idle the engine and will try to drive around 60 MPH and under 65 MPH on the highway. Also, I will NOT use the cruise control until the car gets over 2,000+ miles.
    I really need to attain an overall 30 MPG fuel economy on my brand new 2010 Camry LE. I am hoping that my Camry will easily get 30 MPG without any problems once it gets to 2,000 & 3,000 on the engine and transmission. I am trying to be realistic about the gasoline fuel consumption.
  • petras2petras2 Member Posts: 104
    another factor that affects fuel mileage is seasonal fuel formulation changes..generally you'll get less mileage in winter months...
  • skilauskilau Member Posts: 26
    Okay, I will bite...
    Why do you NEED it to be at least 30MPG?

I agree it would be nice to get 30, and depending upon your driving habits, you should be able to get it... But what is so pressing that you absolutely NEED it?

BTW,
    I hate to bring you down, but I have a 2010 Camry LE V6 with a tad over 5K now, and my best gas milage I have gotten was back on the first couple fills.
    I now get about 350 miles per fillup.
    Lets hope for you that 4 cylinder doesn't act the same way as the V6 version...
    Okay, I will tell you why I need to get an average of 30 MPG on my 2010 Camry LE.
    It's because I also own a Dodge Charger R/T 5.7L, V8 and the Charger gets between 14 and 16 MPG when driven up here in the northeast in the wintertime. It burns a lot of gasoline.
    I really want to drive and to use the 2010 Camry much more than I use the Charger R/T and I don't want to have to fill the tank up in the Camry as often as I have to fill up the Charger. I basically want to be able to get the most mileage and the most fuel economy from the Camry in order to save money on gasoline and to use the Charger R/T a lot less.
    That's why I really need to get an average of 30 MPG with the 2010 Camry LE. I calculated the driving distance on a full tank of gasoline if I can get 30 MPG on the Camry and it will go over 555 miles on a full tank of gas.
    (18.5 Gallons x 30 MPG = 555 Miles) That's not bad for fuel economy if I can get the Camry to get this type of gasoline mileage.

Also, I once used to own a 1997 Camry CE with a 2.2L engine that I purchased brand new and I used to get an average of between 30 to 32 MPG with that particular vehicle.
    I am hoping that my 2010 Camry LE will get an average of 30 MPG just like my 1997 Camry did. I am going to drive very conservatively so I can try to get the 30 MPG fuel economy that I want. I don't know if I will get 30 MPG but I am hoping for it.

If you say that you can only go about 350 miles with a full tank of gasoline with your 2010 XLE V6 Camry then you are only getting an average of 19 MPG fuel economy. That's not very good fuel economy. I am hoping that my 4 cylinder 2.5L automatic will not act the same way like your 3.5L V6 in the fuel economy category. I will be disappointed with my 2010 Camry LE if my car gets below 30 MPG fuel economy. I really want to be able to get the 30 MPG fuel economy in my car. I want to be able to go very long distances on a full tank of gasoline with my Camry (like 555+ miles on a full tank of gasoline). :)
  • skilauskilau Member Posts: 26
    Nah, mine isn't as bad as that... :)

I never run myself down to the last few drops of gas.

My gas light comes on at about 3 gallons left.
    When I fill, I tend to be able to pump exactly 15.5 gallons in.
    That nets me about 22.6 MPG.

The "combined" milage of the V6 is supposed to be 23 MPG, so I am right about in line...

Now, you don't want to judge based on my numbers, as I am the exact worst thing you could do to a car.
    I love to jam on the gas "off the gate", and I love to (looking around to see if there are any cops around...) speed... :P

I suspect if I cooled my jets, I could probably get myself up to 25, but I didn't buy the V6 for gas milage... I would have gotten the Camry Hybrid instead. :P
  • hackattack5hackattack5 Member Posts: 315
    "I still don't know WHY I got ONLY 18 MPG on the first 3/4 tank of gasoline?? "

Do you think the dealer is really going to give you a full tank of gas? I bet they have figured out how much it takes to show a full tank with the least amount of gas. If they save 1 gallon per car @ $2.60 a gallon it would add up. I have a 08 Toyota and have lost 5 MPG since it has gotten cold. Re formulated gas for the winter + all the oil and grease in your car is cold on start up which means more friction + my mechanic tells me that Toyota's in general will really turn up the fuel mixture in the cold weather. Next tank really watch how much highway driving you are really doing because I don't think there is a camry out there besides the Hybrid that will give you 30MPG with mixed driving in the winter time.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    I normally drive an 05 Prius. While mine was in the shop I drove a new 2010 Camry on the same route for 1000 miles. I drove it over the same route that I've been driving my past 2 Camrys ( 97 and 00 ) and my Prius. It's 85% 'Highway' at speeds of 58-63 mph with a little suburban driving at 30 mph.

In my Prius I've gotten 47.5 mpg over 135000 miles calculated by spreadsheet ( miles driven / gallons pumped ) with every purchase listed. In the past two Camry's over 210,000 miles I averaged about 31 mpg ( not recorded tank by tank ).

For the 1000 miles I drove the new 2010 Camry I was shocked that I was able to get 36 mpg for the entire 1000 miles ( Highway and City ). What I was shocked most about was that at ~60 mph on the Highway I was easily able to get 38+ mpg without trying anything different than what I normally do in my Prius.

Caveat...it's never very cold here near the ocean on the E Coast.
    My experience is entirely different. I've owned 4 Camrys since 1989 and now drive a Prius. See post just above. I've found that the new 2010 Camry is way more fuel efficient than my four prior Camrys. On those prior four Camrys I normally drove 30000 to 50000 miles annually. I've put in some seat time in them.
    "For the 1000 miles I drove the new 2010 Camry I was shocked that I was able to get 36 mpg for the entire 1000 miles ( Highway and City ). What I was shocked most about was that at ~60 mph on the Highway I was easily able to get 38+ mpg without trying anything different than what I normally do in my Prius."

That's excellent mileage for a 2010 Camry. The 38 MPG that you are getting is more than the MPG fuel mileage that's listed on the sticker on these cars.
    "I've found that the new 2010 Camry is way more fuel efficient than my four prior Camrys. On those prior four Camrys I normally drove 30000 to 50000 miles annually."

I'm hoping that the 2010 Camry which I own will also get excellent gasoline mileage just like the one that you drove which that got over 38 MPG. I will be happy even if mine gets 30 ~ 31 MPG. I will not complain if I can get that type of mileage on my 2010 Camry.
    See message # 934. I get 32.5 mpg on my commute.
    Does the newer 6 speed Automatic transmission that's currently in the new 2010 Camry LE 2.5L give this particular vehicle better gasoline mileage than the older 5 speed automatic transmission that was in the previous 2008 & 2009 Camry LE 2.4L engine? I read somewhere that a 6 speed automatic transmission in a vehicle gives better gasoline mileage than a 5 speed automatic transmission. Is this true or false?
    If it is true, then how does a 6 speed automatic transmission give much better gasoline mileage to a vehicle than a 5 speed automatic transmission? I would like to know.

Thanks
    Yes, mpg is a little better with the 6 speed - how much EPA difference, I'm not sure, but you could find out with a search here or somewhere on the net. On the highway, the engine runs at a lower rpm due to the extra gear, so that's why you would get better mpg. Around town, you may be getting better due to the extra gear (it keeps the rpms lower by having more gear ratios closer together). The better mpg is also due to the engine. The 2.5 Liter is a newer design, so it is more efficient while also giving better acceleration.

My experience with the two is I get about 1 to 2 mpg better with the 2010 vs. the 2007 (2007 is the same as the 2008 and 2009).
    UPDATE on Current Gasoline Mileage:

I just filled up the tank on my brand new 2010 Camry LE automatic this evening. This is currently my 3rd fill-up NOT including the 1st fill-up of FREE gasoline that the dealer gave to me which was "already" in the gas tank in my Camry when I picked up my car on December 12th. During the 1st FREE gasoline fill-up that the dealer did for me, the dealer ONLY filled up my car ONLY up to the "LAST" full needle marker on the gas gauge. Just so you know, the dealer did NOT fill up the tank up to the "F" mark on the day that I picked up my car. Instead, the gasoline gauge needle was exactly on the top needle marker when I picked up my car from the dealer.

I drove the car just like I got it from the dealer and when the gasoline gauge needle went on "E" on empty, I ended up filling up the tank with a "Full" tank of gasoline this time around about 1 week after getting my Camry (which was sometime last weekend).
    So basically, tonight's gasoline fill-up is the 2nd fill-up with a "full" tank of gasoline that I got all by myself since I picked up and got my car from the dealer.

Before I filled up the tank this evening, the gas gauge needle was past the "last" empty line and it was almost at the "E" marker.
    After I filled the tank tonight, the "first" click where the gas pump stopped at was at exactly 16.503 gallons.
    What I did after the gas pump stopped was I pressed the gas pump handle and filled the tank up a little more with gasoline for a total of 4 more "clicks" (5 "clicks" total). In other words, the gas pump handle clicked for a total of 5 times until it stopped at the 18.09 gallon mark.

At the 1st "click" the gas pump stopped at exactly 16.503 gallons. Then at the 2nd "click" the gas pump stopped at 16.8 gallons. Then at the 3rd "click" the gas pump stopped at 17.0 gallons. Then at the 4th click it stopped exactly at 17.5 gallons. Then lastly, at the 5th "click" the gas pump stopped at exactly 18.09 gallons.

If I do all the calculations regarding the MPG gas mileage for my Camry I get 6 different gas mileage figures. Each MPG mileage is:

1. If I use 444.4 miles/ 16.503 = 26.928 MPG

2. If I use the 444.4 miles/16.8 gallons = 26.452 MPG

3. If I use the 444.4 miles/17.0 gallons = 26.141 MPG

4. If I use the 444.4 miles/17.5 gallons = 25.394 MPG

5. If I use the 444.4 miles/18.09 gallons = 24.5660 MPG

I would like to know exactly which one of the 5 "clicks" that I made at the gasoline pump is the "true" and "exact" MPG fuel economy for my new 2010 Camry LE for this 2nd "full" tank of gasoline that I put in my car and just burned?
    Does anybody in here know?

ALSO, don't you think that the MPG fuel economy of between 24 MPG and 26 MPG that I got on this 2nd "full" tank of gasoline is currently a VERY LOW fuel economy for my new 2010 Camry LE for the 2nd "full" fill-up that I just did over 1 week ago? Just so you know, I've been doing about 60% to 65% highway driving and about 35% to 40% city driving since the 2nd fill-up. And I've not gone over 60 to 62 MPH while driving on the highway. While driving on the highway, I have been driving LESS than 60 MPH 90% to 95% of the time. If this is the case, then WHY am I ONLY getting between 24 to 26 MPG as fuel economy on the 2nd "full" tank of gasoline? Is this normal or should I be getting better than 24 to 26 MPG on my 2nd "full" tank of gasoline? I was hoping to get around 28 to 29 MPG on my 2nd "full" tank of gasoline, but I didn't get that at all. Is my new 2010 Camry LE burning a lot of gasoline?

ALSO, will the fuel economy get any better on this 2nd "full" fill-up with the "full" tank of gasoline that I just got and put in the gas tank this evening? What do you think?
    Get a book, and start logging all of your fillups. Note the date, the odometer reading, and the # of gallons you put in.

To calculate your mpg, take the TOTAL mileage, divided by the TOTAL gallons. Any error that you have made in filling will get averaged out over time....it won't matter that it is the first click or the 5th click. As you've seen it's about a gallon and a half difference, which if you take over say 15 tankfuls is a nominal 'error' rate.

You start with a full tank of gas, and you end with a full tank of gas.

You have to get to a couple thousand miles before any mileage rate would start to be optimal. Wait until you get to about 5K miles before you'll hit top mpg that you'll get. Until then, lot's of new bearing surfaces getting broken in.

Personally, I wouldn't even keep track until I hit at least 2K miles.
    I currently have a little over 800 miles on my brand new 2010 Camry LE right now. I thought that the MPG fuel economy will start averaging out at around the first 1,000 miles.
    I am worried that my car will not get any better MPG fuel economy than 25 or 26 MPG with what I averaged out earlier tonight from the calculations that I did above with the 444.4 miles that I drove with the "full tank" of gasoline that I put inside the tank. And this was just my 2nd "full tank" of gasoline that I burned thru driving the car.

Do you really think that the true MPG fuel economy will get better in my Camry LE as I put 1,000 to 2,000+ more miles on my brand new vehicle? The only reason why I am asking you this particular question is because of the past experiences that I've had during the break-in period in the past when owning brand new economical 4 cylinder cars. Whenever I've purchased a brand new economical car in the past, the MPG gasoline mileage that I've usually gotten during the first 2 or 3 "full tankfulls" of gas is usually the same MPG fuel economy that I usually also get when the same car is broken in and when it has 5,000+ miles on it. In other words, the MPG fuel economy has never changed for the better or gotten any better when compared to the first "full" tank fill-up that I started off with.
    And I drive all the economical cars that I've owned which I've purchased brand new VERY GENTLY and 60% to 65% on the highway.

I haven't really noticed any better MPG fuel economy in any of the other economical 4 cylinder vehicles that I've owned in the past if I compare the 2nd or 3rd "full tank" of gasoline with the MPG economy that the same car will get after it breaks in and when it has 5,000+ miles on it.
    Is the 2010 Camry LE any different from the past economical vehicles that I've owned regarding getting better MPG fuel economy as you put more mileage on the vehicle?
  • petras2petras2 Member Posts: 104
    normally don't give strangers advice on how to live their life, but you are so hung up on this fuel mileage thing..maybe you ought to sell the other car you talked about..the cost of owning/operating 2 cars far exceeds the money you'll save in gas driving the camry..my two cents...
    We NEED 2 cars. Plus I love my Camry LE.
    I am trying to be analytical about this because I want to get the "highest" MPG fuel economy out of my new vehicle. I am trying to get a "precise" MPG fuel burning figure.

The reason why I purchased my 2010 Camry LE was because I wanted to get 30 to 31 MPG "minimum" overall average gas mileage from it. I used to own a 1997 Camry CE that I purchased brand new and I used to "very easily" get between 31 and 32 overall average MPG from it without any problem. Because of this, I am hoping that the 2010 Camry that I am driving will get the same MPG fuel economy like my 1997 Camry.
  • samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    You will not average 30-31 MPG "minimum". You will probably average around 25-26. Now, live your life and enjoy your Camry. :)
    You're worrying this to death.

I have a 2007 LE, with just under 50K miles, and it always gets low thirty's on highway driving. It's a great car, would buy another Camry in a heartbeat.

Now, to be fair, this is not the exact same engine and transmission as the 2010. The 2010 has been improved over the 2007. Slightly better HP from the engine, and also now 6 speed transmission versus 5. Aerodynamically though, it's basically the same vehicle.
    Would I would be concerned with is you needed to break the car in properly - see the owner's manual, which says do not travel for a long time at the same speed (same rpms) for the first 800 miles. I followed this, which results in poor mpg.

Like everyone else has said, you will be fine. I would not even start looking at mpg until you have at least 3,000 miles on it.
    All right. I will wait until the vehicle has over 3,000+ miles on it and then I will try to see if the MPG fuel economy gets any better than it is right now.
  • motonationmotonation Member Posts: 34
    gtgtcobra: I understand your desire to achieve maximum efficiency from your Camry, and in order to gain a realistic understanding of what MPG other Camry owners are experiencing, you may want to have a look HERE also.
    I just checked the website out. It seems that most of the 2010 Camry owners that posted on the website that you gave me are getting an "overall average" fuel economy of ONLY 26 to 27 MPG. The MPG fuel economy figures are VERY DISTURBING.
    The MPG fuel economy figures are NOT that good considering that the 2010 Camry LE has the "newer" 2.5L engine and also the all new 6 speed automatic transmission in it which are BOTH "supposed" to give it "better" fuel economy than the 2009 and previous year Camry models.
    With the upgraded 2.5L engine and 6 speed automatic transmission, the new 2010 Camry LE should be getting an average of 30MPG in fuel economy.

Toyota should have stayed with the 2.2L, 4 cylinder engine that it had in all of its 4 cylinder Camry vehicles back in 1997. The 2.2L "easily" got 30 to 32 MPG without a struggle. I used to own one and mine got 31 to 32 MPG in a heartbeat without any problem.
    Don't sweat it. Keep in mind that the 97 was smaller and lighter too. I've said before that mine gets 31.5 mpg easily on my commute, which is about 1-2 mpg better than my 2007, and only 4 mpg worse than my old small Corolla! I know I could do better than 31.5mpg on my commute if I slowed down a little and did not accelerate as fast. You will get above 30 under the right conditions!!
    This is the best advice of all.

Your fuel economy doesn't matter from tank to tank for a variety of reasons. Ignore it. After the seasons turn and spring finally arrives then total your 'winter' mile and 'winter' gallons to get your 'winter FE rating'.

Do the same for the next three months until summer arrives.
    Do the same for the next three months, etc, etc, etc.

You'll have 4 different averages. Then compare next winter to this winter, etc, etc.

I've kept track of every tank and every mile I've driven over the last 137,000 miles in all 4 seasons. The average on my Prius is exactly where it's supposed to be. But I know this for a fact because I've kept detailed records in the car then logged them onto a spreadsheet to do all the calcs.

I wouldn't even look at any averages until about 5000 miles. You will see significant seasonal variations though.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    Like the others said, don't sweat it. And don't bother filling up to the 4th or 5th click; you don't want to risk spilling gasoline on your new paint job. I record all my gas mileage figures, but I don't record gallons added beyond 2 decimal places and mpg beyond ONE decimal place.

Based on my experience with 2 prior-generation Camry 4s, there's NO WAY you'll achieve an overall average of 30 mpg if you mix in city driving with highway driving. Highway driving alone? Sure you'll get 32-33 mpg easily, even 35+ with light loads in warmer weather on flat terrain and keeping top speeds at or below 70 mph. Cruise control helps, but don't use it much until the initial break-in period is over (1000 miles).
    What you mention here is an "excellent" idea. I will keep "seasonal" MPG fuel economy figures. I am hoping that the MPG fuel economy will get better in the springtime, summertime and fall when the weather is milder and warmer. Right now we are getting very cold weather up here. The temperature up here was ONLY 12 degrees Fahrenheit today.
    I am just hoping that the MPG fuel economy will get better and go into the 30 to 31 MPG range as my Camry gets towards the 5,000+ mile mark. I don't want the MPG fuel economy to stay stagnant at the 25 to 26 or at the 27 and 28 MPG range. I most definitely like to see it get to the 30 and 31 MPG range.
    So you really think that I will NOT be able to realistically attain the 30 MPG fuel economy with mixed driving in my 2010 LE 2.5L, 4 cylinder? In my 1997 Camry CE 5 speed manual I used to get 30 to 31 MPG fuel economy with "mixed" driving without any problem. Maybe it was due from the car having the smaller 2.2L engine. I would think that the 2.5L engine would be more economical with the 6 speed transmission. The 2.2L and the 2.5L engines shouldn't make much of a difference regarding the MPG fuel economy. And I don't think that the 1997 Camry CE 2.2L is a lighter vehicle than the 2010 Camry LE 2.5L.
    No, I don't think so. The '97 Camry with the 2.2 4-cylinder was a little less fuel efficient, based on my experience with one (an automatic though). You had a manual base model, so I'm not surprised by your average mpg. And yes, the '97 was lighter than the 2002-06 generation, which in turn is lighter than the 2007-10 generation.

Just FYI, my overall average for my 2004 Camry LE 4 (with 4-speed auto) is 28.0 mpg over the last 40K miles (it will turn over 70K miles tomorrow). The lifetime average for my 2005 Camry XLE 4 (with 5-speed auto) is 25.6 mpg. It has nearly 42K miles.

Why the difference? Easily explainable: the '04 has seen more highway miles plus my daily commute with the car is 13 miles one way, with low traffic volumes, few traffic lights, and 60 mph top speeds. The '05 is used by my wife in much shorter trips into town, besides occasional highway use.
    In winter you have a lot of bad issues to overcome as does everyone in northern climes.
    ..Cold air is denser than warm air. It takes more effort to force your block of steel through that denser air.
    ..Especially in northern areas they switch over to 'winter gas' which contains less BTUs than normal gas.
    ..Very often in winter the weather is stronger. Winds blow stronger or seem to to me but road conditions are definitely worse with slick precipitation on the roadways which cuts down traction.
    ..Then the ICE has to work harder all winter. Not only does it have to warm up the fluids and catalytic converter but it has to keep you warm too.
    I found all the comparison specs, weight and fuel data for BOTH the 1997 Camry 2.2L, 4 cylinder CE
    5 speed manual and for the 2010 CAMRY 2.5L, 4 cylinder LE 6 speed automatic.

Below are listed all the exact specs for BOTH vehicles:

1997 Camry CE, 2.2L 4 cylinder, 5 speed manual:

Exterior
    Length: 188.5 in. Width: 70.1 in.
    Height: 55.4 in. Wheel Base: 105.2 in.
    Curb Weight: 3086 lbs.
    Interior
    Front Head Room: 38.6 in. Front Shoulder Room: 56.2 in.
    Rear Head Room: 37.6 in. Rear Shoulder Room: 56.1 in.
    Front Leg Room: 43.5 in. Rear Leg Room: 35.5 in.
    Maximum Seating: 5
    Performance Data

Performance
    Acceleration (0-60 mph): 9.9 sec. Road Holding Index: .77 g
    Base Number of Cylinders: 4 Base Engine Size: 2.2 liters
    Base Engine Type: Inline 4 Horsepower: 133 hp
    Max Horsepower: 5400 rpm Torque: 147 ft-lbs.
    Max Torque: 4400 rpm Maximum Towing Capacity: 2000 lbs.
    Drive Type: FWD Turning Circle: 35.4 ft.

Fuel Data:
    Fuel
    Fuel Tank Capacity: 18.5 gal.
    EPA Mileage Estimates: (City/Highway/Combined)
    Manual: 20 mpg / 29 mpg / 23 mpg

Range in Miles:
    Manual: 370 mi. / 536.5 mi. / 425.5 mi.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

2010 Camry LE, 2.5L, 4 cylinder, 6 speed automatic:

Exterior
    Length: 189.2 in. Width: 71.7 in.
    Height: 57.9 in. Wheel Base: 109.3 in.
    Ground Clearance: 5.5 in. Curb Weight: 3307 lbs.
    Interior
    Front Head Room: 38.8 in. Front Hip Room: 54.6 in.
    Front Shoulder Room: 57.8 in. Rear Head Room: 37.8 in.
    Rear Shoulder Room: 56.9 in. Rear Hip Room: 53.9 in.
    Front Leg Room: 41.7 in. Rear Leg Room: 38.3 in.
    Luggage Capacity: 15 cu. ft. Maximum Seating: 5
    Performance Data

Performance
    Base Number of Cylinders: 4 Base Engine Size: 2.5 liters
    Base Engine Type: Inline 4 Horsepower: 169 hp
    Max Horsepower: 6000 rpm Torque: 167 ft-lbs.
    Max Torque: 4100 rpm Maximum Towing Capacity: 1000 lbs.
    Drive Type: FWD Turning Circle: 36.1 ft.

Fuel Data:
    Fuel
    Fuel Tank Capacity: 18.5 gal.
    EPA Mileage Estimates: (City/Highway/Combined)
    Automatic: 22 mpg / 32 mpg / 26 mpg
    Range in Miles:
    Automatic: 407 mi. / 592 mi. / 481 mi.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ----

The 2010 Camry LE is 221 lbs. "heavier" than the 1997 Camry CE.
    Also, the 1997 Camry CE has a "lower" MPG fuel economy than the 2010 Camry LE.

The 1997 Camry gets 20 MPG City & 29 MPG Highway with an average of 23 MPG.

The 2010 Camry gets 22 MPG City & 32 MPG Highway with an average of 26 MPG.

So the 2010 Camry LE 4 cylinder automatic gets "much better" MPG fuel economy than the 1997 Camry CE, 4 cylinder, 5 speed manual even though the 2010 Camry LE weighs 221 lbs. "more" than the 1997 Camry CE.

I don't really think that the 2010 Camry LE weighing 221 lbs. more than the 1997 Camry CE is a huge weight increase. In other words, I don't think that the 2010 Camry LE being 221 lbs. heavier will make it be less fuel efficient with its MPG fuel economy.

With all the above listed data and specs for both the 1997 and 2010 Camry vehicles, I think that I must have been lucky to get an "overall MPG average" of 31 to 32 MPG fuel economy on my 1997 Camry CE that I used to own back in the late 90's when the "maximum" fuel economy for highway driving was "ONLY" 29 MPG and when the "overall average" MPG fuel economy was "ONLY" 23 MPG for this particular vehicle.
    If this was the case when I used to own the 1997 Camry CE, then what are the chances and odds that my current 2010 Camry LE will get the same 30 to 32 MPG or better fuel economy just like I got when I used to own my 1997 Camry? This is the million dollar question.

If the current 2010 Camry LE has a "better" engine and a "better" transmission than the 1997 Camry CE and if the 2010 Camry LE is also "more" fuel efficient than the 1997 Camry CE, then the 2010 Camry LE should "hypothetically" get an "overall average" of 30 MPG fuel economy without any problem when its 2.5L engine has been broken in after 2,000 to 3,000 miles.
    WHAT DO YOU THINK?
    Don't forget the dense air means more fuel is added to the engine to get the correct air/fuel ratio.
  • camry2k5camry2k5 Member Posts: 38
    The Hybrid is not that much of a great MPG than the regular gas engines.

2010 Toyota Camry Hybrid
    http://www.fueleconomy.gov/Feg/noframes/26424.shtml

Fuel Type
    Regular

MPG (city)

MPG (highway)

MPG (combined)

Fuel Economics

Cost to Drive 25 Miles
    $1.90

Fuel to Drive 25 Miles
    0.74 gal

Cost of a Fill-up
    $39.94

Miles on a Tank
    526 miles

Tank Size
    17.2 gal
    I think that the 2010 Camry LE will get "much better" MPG fuel economy than the older 1997 Camry 2.2L, 4 cylinder once the 2.5L engine on the 2010 reaches its optimal break-in point after 3,000 to 5,000 miles. The 2.5L automatic is "much more" fuel efficient than the 2.2L manual. Hopefully, the 2010 Camry LE that I have will reach 30 to 31 MPG after it has 3,000 to 5,000 miles on the odometer just like my 1997 Camry CE did.
    I just filled the tank in my 2010 Camry LE again 2 days ago on January 3rd with 17.11 gallons of regular unleaded gasoline. This time around I went a total of 444.2 miles with the 17.11 gallons of fuel that I used up and I averaged 26 MPG fuel economy. I got +1.4 MPG better fuel economy than the previous fill-up. My Camry had a total of 1152 miles on the odometer during this fill-up.
    It's been very cold up here during the whole week last week while I was driving and I would say that I did about 65% highway driving between the speeds of 50 and 57 MPH before this fill-up. Also, I have NOT been keeping the engine on and idling the engine. I have been driving VERY GENTLY.
    I am hoping that I will start getting better and higher average MPG fuel economy in the 30 to 31 MPG range after my vehicle's engine and transmission reaches its break-in period.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Warm weather will do wonders for the mpg of your Camry.

I have an Accord, but the same principals apply. I have averaged 34.5 mpg over 76,000 miles. I rarely get a tank under 30 mpg in the summer, even when it is all city driving. Now in the dead of winter my last tank was only about 26 mpg and half of that mileage was on the highway. The first half of that tank my mpg was at 17 (according to my scangauge) that is with temps rarely getting above 15 for the last few weeks.

BTW if mpg is important you should look into a scangauge.

Other things that will improve mpg besides warmer weather are making sure not use gas with ethanol if you have a choice, and bump your tire pressure up a little.
  • janderson8janderson8 Member Posts: 30
    You are lucky to have an Accord rather than a Camry if you get 30 mpg in city driving. Our Camry (2000, 4 cyl) NEVER has gotten even 20 Mpg in city driving and we are not hotshot drivers. We have a Civic and in summer average 33-34 mpg in city driving. During that time, the Camry might get close to 19. On the road the Camry will get 28-29, which is closer to its expected MPG. In winter, both cars go down quite a bit, with the Civic averaging 27-29 and the Camry probably getting about 17. We have been quite disappointed with its mileage, but otherwise it is a nice car.
    Unfortunately, up here in the Communist Northeastern part of the United States all the gas stations use ethanol in the gasoline supply. I don't know what the purpose is of putting ethanol in the gasoline when ethanol makes the vehicles get very lousy fuel economy.
    The weather up here has been very cold lately. I am looking forward to when my Camry breaks-in properly and that it will get the 30 MPG fuel economy that I am looking for even in the very cold weather. The 1997 Camry CE with the 5 speed manual transmission that I purchased brand new and used to own used to get 30 to 31 MPG without any problem even in the very cold weather during the wintertime up here. I want my 2010 Camry LE 6 speed automatic to be able to attain the same 30 to 31 MPG fuel economy when it breaks-in just like my 1997 Camry did. I will be very happy if it does that. :)
  • crazedcommutercrazedcommuter Member Posts: 281
    I seriously doubt that you will ever average 30 mpg in the winter while driving in the Northeast with the 2010 Camry. I live in the Northeast and I have a 2008 Solara 4 cyl and 5 speed automatic with 17000 miles. In this cold, snowy weather I have averaged only 25-26 mpg for my last 3 tanks, while in the warmer weather I averaged 29-31 with 75% highway driving. As other posts have noted the combination of the cold and the ethynol gas mix will rob your car of MPG.

Last weekend I filled up in NJ and drove to DC and back. All highway miles and all I was able to avg was 25.87 mpg. The same trip in warmer climes got me 30-32 mpg consistantly. You will have to wait until the weather gets warmer to get better mpg.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Well that explains a lot. Your last Camry was a stick shift. They are much better in the city than automatics - despite what the EPA might say.
    "Well that explains a lot. Your last Camry was a stick shift. They are much better in the city than automatics - despite what the EPA might say."

Yes, BUT the newer 2010 Camry LE automatic which I am driving right now is supposed to have a much higher MPG fuel economy than my 1997 Camry 5 speed manual. Even though the 97 that I owned had a 5 speed manual the 2010 automatic that I drive now is supposed to get much better MPG fuel economy than the 97.
    BUT so far, I have yet to see that. After the last fill-up, I calculated that it got ONLY an overall average of 26 MPG fuel economy.
    Right now, I've got a little over 1,500 original miles on the car. Just this evening, the "Low Fuel" light lit up and the needle on the fuel gauge is exactly on the last smaller line just before the large thick white "Empty" line. I have only gone 375 miles so far on this particular tank of gas. The needle on the gasoline gauge has one more line to go before it reaches the last large thick white Empty line. Between right now and when the needle on the gasoline gauge reaches the last large thick white Empty line, I am hoping that I can go "beyond" the 444.2 total miles that I went on the last full tank of gas.
    I am hoping that I can go at least another 100+ miles or more before I completely run out of gas.
    Just my 2 cents, but why not just fill up now? It's not exactly fun to run out of gas, especially now with this bitter cold weather much of the US has been experiencing.

I looked up my sale notes when I listed my '97 Camry 4-cylinder automatic on eBay in 2004 (I have more detailed records, but they're handwritten, and I didn't want to bother finding them). I said I got 23-24 mpg city and 31-35 mpg highway on this Camry, which is much better than the current, adjusted EPA ratings of 20/28 city/highway for the '97. The original window sticker said 23/30, which is a lot closer to what I used to get.

So as I keep saying, don't sweat it. This forum was nearly ruined by a smart aleck (go back several hundred posts) who claimed it was impossible for any Camry to break 30 mpg on the highway. This was because he claimed never to get over 26-27 mpg in highway driving on flat land in southern California. He basically kept demanding the rest of us for irrefutable "proof" that our Camrys could do better.

Oh, BTW, I just filled up my '04 Camry 4 cyl auto today, after the gauge showed a little more than half a tank remaining. I got a relatively low 26.7 mpg, considering that most of the miles since the last fill-up were accumulated on the highways or rural back roads around where I live. But it has been very cold, with lows in the teens, highs in the low 30s.