Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Corolla Real World MPG

Comments

• sales2010sales2010 Member Posts: 33
    Thanks so much for your review!!!!!!! :)
  • mtadmtad Member Posts: 1
    I've tried to drive with a soft foot and on long road trips the best mgp I have seen on my 07 S with an automatic is 36 mgp. Are there any aftermarket bolt-ons that can help?
  • sales2010sales2010 Member Posts: 33
    Sorry, I do not know of any aftermarket bolt-ons. Do live near hills, mountains, etc.? What is your average MPG? Thanks.
  • electrobuzzelectrobuzz Member Posts: 47
    Sorry, my friend. Keep following the 'real world' means of ensuring fuel economy. Aftermarket "bolt-ons" (e.g. Vortex, ecm chip, etc.) are conclusively (but certainly not anecdotally) worthless.

Try some of the tips here:
    http://resourceful.wordpress.com/2007/02/04/saving-motor-vehicle-fuel/

And a summary from the FTC on "aftermarket" products:
    http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/autos/gasave.shtm
  • stryker1dnstryker1dn Member Posts: 9
    hello all,

i have an 03' Corolla S 4cyl, 5spd. Mileage is between 32-40mpg. if kept under 75mph, soft footed, and shift to higher gear, i can get 400 miles out of a tank( roughly 10-11 gallons of gas). I drove 50miles once on the gas light (1/8th of tank) to see how it'd do. Made 400 miles that day. Only changes i made was to the tires and oil. Went a size wider and size shorter so i had more traction, and i changed oil to Castrol Part Synthetic. changed every 5,000 miles. car now has 85,000+ miles. I commute 30-40miles per day to work, and sometimes work as far as 50 miles away. Week i pulled 400 miles on a tank, was 95% highway, 4 days of 47miles back and forth from My home town to Manchester, NH at 70-75mph.

enjoy
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Are they 205/60/15's?

The Sandman :)
    Yes there 205/60/a5's made by Mirada. There ok alittle squishy around corners, feels like your wigglin in your seat, but i put them at 40ish Pds, and it went away. Not totally impressed with them. Plannign to try the "GT" style tires. abd go with a 16" rim in the summer.
    and i just got 400 miles to a tank, filled with roughly 11 gallons of gas.

enjoy.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    Braking wastes so much gas

explain how pressing the brake burns more gas?
  • pulgopulgo Member Posts: 400
    What was probably meant is that once you brake you must make up that lost speed and burn more energy (gas or diesel, etc).

You must have noticed those drivers that seem to speed up and brake all the time.

They are the ones whose cars use the most gasoline.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Do you notice a difference between winter and summer gasoline mixtures? Thanks

Yes, but the difference is usually offset by heavy A/C use in the summer (I live in Alabama = HOT in summer). Heck, it is fall now, and the high yesterday was in the 90s.
  • rajivn6rajivn6 Member Posts: 3
    Hi All,

It would be freally great if anybody could help me out on this issue. I have a 2006 Corolla LE with 41000 Miles in it. Am getting 10 MPG in city driving. And i tested in the freeway and am getting 32 MPG. What could be tthe reason? I bought this car from a dealer as a used one.

Hope i can hear a solution soon...

Thanks
    Sounds like theres something wrong, possibly air intake (glogged air filter), map air flow sensor (located on the tube from air box to fuel injection), or even possibly bad spark plugs. But best deal is to take it to the dealer and request a computer scan and see if there are any codes, and let them know of the problem. Winter time can effect the gas mileage but do not see it effecting it that bad. I have a 2003 corolla and usually get 32 plus no matter, and can pull almost 400 out of a tank of gas in the summer weather, now im gettin roughly 300 + mile per tank, 200 usually on a half tank.
    Start with checking over airbox make sure its clear of leaves, acorn stuff from critters, etc. Air box on my corolla isnt the best design, small animals can get into box area. check spark plugs for wear, things you can without paying $75 an hr for a tech to do it, then if nothing works have a computer diagnostic check done by a Toyota dealer, not a back yard mechanic......

hope all goes well, im not an ASE Tech, and dont claim to know all, just giving advise that i would follow myself ( for those that might comment).....
  • moonshine1moonshine1 Member Posts: 1
    I have been getting really bad city MPG like rajivn6 too. I'm getting about 13mpg city and 33+ mpg on hwy.

What mechanical or electronic problems could be causing this? or is it just shifting too early at low rpms (less than 2k rpm) causing this low MPG?
  • electrobuzzelectrobuzz Member Posts: 47
    My guess is there is a pinhole in your gas tank! :sick:

Shifting too low, as stated... or shifting too high (3k-3.5k) will take off economy. Of course, it is winter fuel additive season, so that takes off a few MPG as well. Also, if your fuel is 10% ethanol (or, egads, greater), your overall mileage will drop at least 5%.

These factors combined, best case, would reduce 32/41 to approx. 24/34... so numbers in the teens/city do seem to indicate an additional problem. Sorry, I'm just an Analyst, not a technician :)
  • rajivn6rajivn6 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for your time and valuable advise.I will definitely go and check with the dealer once again .

Have a nice time!!!
  • hoopitup2000hoopitup2000 Member Posts: 46
    For best winter driving mileage
    1. DO NOT WARM UP YOUR CAR-Drive gently till your heater is putting out somewhat warm air. All cars runs very rich during warmup. If you are siitting still you are getting "0" MPG. Even if you do warm up your car it should be driven gently beacuse you have only warmed up the engine; the transmission and other moving parts are still cold, They need to be warmed up before normal or aggressive driving or their life will be reduced.

2. SHIFT EARLY(MANUAL TRANSMISSION CARS ONLY)-Believe it or not shifting before 2500 RPMS with a heavy foot on the accelerator will provide the best MPG.(ONLY WHILE IN GEAR; NOT WHEN THE CLUTCH IS ENGAGED!!!) This is because you are reducing the engines "pumping losses". Go to the "MOTOR TREND" website and put "TEN TIPS FOR FUEL TEMPEPENCE" in the search box, and see why this seemingly crazy driving procedure really works.

I am getting a consistent 34 MPG using these techniques in winter driving with many short trips in mixed city and highway driving.

In the summer my mileage "averages" in the upper 30's to low 40's using the same technique with a 50/50 mix of city and highway driving. Summertime highway driving can yield numbers in the mid 40's.(Over 70 MPH driving will start to reduce these numbers). Even driving in mountainous areas can provide low 40's if the RPM'S are kept as low as possible without lugging the engine.
  • toyoman3toyoman3 Member Posts: 11
    I have a 98 with 250k miles and been consistently getting 28/29mpg mixed city/hway I thought I was doing ok but after reading all these posts, I guess not, it could be the miles or the fact I have no overdrive tranny. anyone out there with a3 speed rolla?
  • viva_unixviva_unix Member Posts: 14
    I am the owner of Toyota Corolla S 2006 5MT

In the winter I get around 36-38 MPG (combined, depends how cold the weather).
    In the summer I am constantly getting 44MPG combined.

I usually drive 80% of the time on highway. This summer I will try to get into 48MPG mark (I know how...). :)
  • dkeaniedkeanie Member Posts: 16
    does anyone know how many miles you can travel when the fuel warning light comes on? I have only done 239 miles town driving and the light flashed on then went off. This is from a full tank too !! :( I thought I would get better mpg than this. I have a 1995 Corolla 1.6 efi.
  • viva_unixviva_unix Member Posts: 14
    I do not know about Corolla '95. I do usually my refueling around every 500 miles. But majority of my milage are done in highway.
    One time I got 50/50 driving (city/higway), I was forced to refuel at 400-420miles.

Again, everything is depends how you drive and where you live. If you live in Alaska, 240 miles in city is normal. :) In winter I am not getting more than 400 miles per tank.
  • waltchanwaltchan Member Posts: 124
    For a Toyota Corolla with automatic and cruise, is driving 55 mph the most fuel-efficient highway speed, or is it 60 mph? I know it's either?
  • tbarrytbarry Member Posts: 2
    I just picked up a 2009 Corolla S on Friday and I'm EXTREMELY happy so far!

Today was the first day I drove it to work (80 miles about 90% of that is highway). Just before I exited the highway I had an average of 44.1 MPG! By the time I exited and pulled into the parking lot I was at 43.3 MPG!

I haven't changed my driving habits at all as of yet - I rarely go below 70mph on the highway.

I just hope this fuel economy keeps up as the car starts to break in!
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    I do not have an exact answer for you but I can say that you have at least a gallon left in the tank when the light comes on. The owner's manual does not say. It would be safe to drive 25-30 miles. This occurs when the light stays on. It might go on and off before it stays lit. Acceleration or braking or inclines or declines make it come on temporarily.
  • dgecho1dgecho1 Member Posts: 49
    Just curious as an accomplished high mpg-er, myself....tips for this 48 mpg experience?? :)
    Thanks,Don Gillespie
    That does sound like you are getting good mpg. I am driving a 1.6 efi and am only getting 31.4 mpg which i don't think is very good. My Corolla is a 95 N.
  • geomungeomun Member Posts: 1
    First time vistor to the site. Just wanted to comment that I average 36-37.9 mpg on my 99 automatic 3 speed with overdrive. All my miles are I85 and I285 Atlanta roads driving at speeds that average 80 miles per hour. Thus far, I have been quite satisfied. With the price of gas though, I have been considering the toyota prius to bump the mpg to 45 or higher.

ps- I have a 12.9 gallon tank and usually refill once I hit 420-450 mile to the tank. Normally try to get an extra 50-100 miles once the low light comes on.
  • pgppgp Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 06 corolla LE (auto) with 2700 miles on it. I refueled just today and I did the math to realize that I only got 200 miles with almost 8.7 gallons. That comes out to be around 22.3mpg, which is waaaaaaaaay lower that what i expected. I am driving in the city, trying to minimize the brake pressing. Only reason I bought this car is for the great gas mileage that everyone has been talking about, but I'm not getting it =/. Can somebody help me out?
  • busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    A 2006 model with only 2700 miles?

Where did you get such a low mileage car?
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Is this the first refuel that you did? Reason I ask is you don't know if the tank was full when you bought it, or how many miles it had been driven on this first tank before you started recording.

Also:

1. You can't base MPG on just one tank.
    2. All makes and models have people complaining about MPG, but the driver and the conditions are HUGE variables here. A problem with a car that affects MPG is pretty rare.
    3. The Corolla will deliver excellent MPG (best in class) if you compare equal conditions (driver and traffic, etc) to other cars.

Refuel at the same station, same pump, and use the trip odometers to track total miles driven until you refuel again. Refuel only until it shuts off - don't top off.

Try a few more tanks and let us know. Also note the driving conditions, speeds, how long stopped, etc.
  • kipkkipk Member Posts: 1,576
    >"explain how pressing the brake burns more gas"

Obviously pressing the brake is necessary.

How and when we use the brake will affect mileage. If we never had to use the brakes, we would get considerably better mileage. It would be like driving on the highway all the time.

Here are a couple of extremes to ponder.

Up ahead is a stop sign. If we let off the gas at a point that we will coast up the the sign and use the brake very little, there was an amount of road traveled using only the amount of gas necessary to idle the engine. If we stayed on the throttle until almost there, we burned unnessary fuel over that distance. If there are a couple of cars waiting their turn, when we get there, we may start-stop a couple of times before it is our turn to go. If we had "coasted" to the sign, possibly 1 or all the cars would have been gone and we would only have to stop and start once.

The traffic light ahead is red. There are several cars sitting. Slow down back here.
    Let the car coast toward them. Hopefully by the time you get there they will be moving and you won't have to stop at all. OR we can keep accelerating, then slide up behind the last car while the light is still red. Wasted gas getting there, more wasted idling and waiting on the light to change, and more wasted accelerating the car from a stopped condition.

Tail gateing burns a lot of unnessary fuel. And doesn't get us there a bit faster. Actually someone tail gateing me will get there slower. I tend to slowly reduce speed to the posted speed limit when someone is on my bumper. If there is going to be a "Crash", I prefer it to take place at a lower speed. :)

Running up behind someone and hitting the brakes constantly, will burn a lot of unnessary fuel. Gas-brake, gas-brake.....! Any time the car accelerates, it uses more fuel than when "cruising" the same terrain. Stay back a few car lengths and enjoy the "cruise". This saves fuel, brakes, and tires.

So yes, using the brakes does cause extra fuel to be burned. Every time we use the brake we either just used extra fuel and/or we will use extra, getting the car back up to speed. :)

Kip
    I had the same problem although i have got a 95 1.6 Corolla.
    First i git myself a bottle of Redex and followed the tips on how to get more mpg by the way you drive,and it has worked for me. I have just filled my car up today it took 45 litrres which gave me 380 miles which works out as 38.39 mpg :) which isn't bad.
    I will be using Redex more often, and I am driving differently now. Couldn't beleive the price the petrol is.............£1.11. 9 ! what is this country coming too we are not all millionaires. :sick:
  • jimwwhitejimwwhite Member Posts: 16
    Now that you've had your '09 for a couple of months what do you think of it? Are you still getting the 44+ MPG? I'm looking at one this fall and I was pleased to read that you were getting such good gas mileage. I was considering a Prius because I drive almost 120 miles a day roundtrip to work and it's about 95% interstate with no slowdowns along the way. But if I can get into a Corolla that gets 44+ I'll go that way. I can't justify spending the extra $$$ the dealers have jacked the Prius up.

Thanks!
    Jim
    I doubt anyone averages 44+ MPG with any Corolla. My 2005 has only gotten 44 twice in 3.5 years. I "average" about 40 Summer/34 Winter in mixed driving. If you want the highest MPG, avoid the automatic(will average only low/mid 30's mixed driving in warm weather), the sunroof and leather seats(extra weight). Regarding the 2009; I doubt the mileage is higher since it weighs more than previous model with basically the same engine. The revised EPA estimates are also lower on the newer models(37 vs 35 Highway). Get the 5 speed; learn how to drive efficiently(stay off those brakes & keep RPM under 2500 whenever possible) and you should be very pleased.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    With the automatic, the 2009 is rated one point higher than the 2008 was (with the 1.8): 27/35 now, vs 26/35 for the 2008.

Sadly, the manual is now rated two points WORSE for both city and highway.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• harvey44harvey44 Member Posts: 178
    I don't care what the EPA says. A good driver can beat the automatic with a stick. Except maybe in ideal conditions for the auto (where it never shifts and stays in top gear) 70 (?) mph on a flat highway.
    Tha automatic adds about 100 pounds to the weight of the car. A skilled driver with a manual will always come out ahead of the automatic; especially in heavy city driving. On the open road the main factor is speed. Anything over 60; and the mileage starts to drop.
    A skilled driver with a manual will always come out ahead of the automatic; especially in heavy city driving.

Traditionally, I would have agreed with you without a doubt.

I question that possibility nowadays with the advent of CVT's. They are lighter in weight than traditional automatics, and can be programmed to maximize the powerband/fuel economy of the car.

I'm not contesting your claim about the manual getting better MPG, but it does make me wonder if it is still true, or at least, much more difficult to do now...

Just a thought....
    If you can find an issue of the June 08 "Automobile" magazine, there is an excellent article about every available transmission in todays cars.(5 different categories)

For the CVT the article states;
    "PROS-Silky operation, potent passing"
    "CONS-Minimal fun, high pressure hydraulics that sap efficiency"

Meanwhile for the manual;
    "PROS-Utmost efficiency and control"
    "CONS-Taxing in stop and go traffic"

It's a great article; unfortunately I don't seem to be able to find the article on their website
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    And a modern automatic (with lock-up torque converter) or manual can out-mpg a CVT while cruising on the highway, for the reason the article stated: "high pressure hydraulics that sap efficiency." They are of help in city driving, especially vs. an automatic, but not as much on the highway.

But then, the Corolla isn't offered with a CVT, at least in North America.
    And a modern automatic (with lock-up torque converter) or manual can out-mpg a CVT while cruising on the highway, for the reason the article stated: "high pressure hydraulics that sap efficiency." They are of help in city driving, especially vs. an automatic, but not as much on the highway.

Well, I was referring to city driving...guess I didn't make that clear. Of course, a manual should always beat any other transmission on the highway, since it is a direct-connection, and friction has all but been eliminated with roller/ball bearings and modern lubricants...and, less weight, usually.

So, I guess we are in agreement...
  • yobry1yobry1 Member Posts: 1
    you need to re-do the math. 45 liters= 11.89 gallons. 380 miles divided by 11.89 gallons equals= 31.96 mpg, not 38.39.
    I have a 97 corolla 1.6 liter engine with a 3 speed automatic tranny and I am getting 34 mpg combined (city and highway driving). I get 38.7 mpg on the highway which is 30% more than the EPA estimate and I live in the mountains. How I do it? I put 4 more psi in my tires, I have a K&N air filter, and I put 2.5 ounces of Acetone per 10 gallons of gas when I fill up. Now I know the acetone mpg increase is SUPPOSEDLY a myth, and even Mythbusters busted this myth. What Mythbusters and everyone else don't realize is the first tank of gas with Acetone is basically cleaning your fuel system so you wont see much of an increase in mpg. You will see an increase in mpg on the second fill-up but it's the 3rd fill-up is when you see your maximum increase in mileage. I have been using Acetone in my corolla now for 2 years and my car has more horsepower and idles sooooo smooth now. Adding acetone does not work the same in all cars. I only get extra 3 mpg in my 85 Ranger pickup (V6-5 Speed) with 3 oz pr 10 gallons and 5 xtra mpg in my 92 Ranger pickup (4 cyl-5 Speed). I tried it in my Dad's 2008 Dakota quad cab 3.7 liter engine during a cross country road trip with NO increase at all, we actually got 1 mpg less. Like I said acetone does not work in all cars. For those of you who want to try it in your car, you must experiment to find the correct acetone to gas ratio. Mine is 2.5oz per 10 gallons gas. Try 1 oz pr 10 gals gas first time and record your mileage, then try 2 oz pr 10 gals gas and record it, if your mpg increased the try 3oz pr 10 gals gas. It's recomended NOT to use more than 4 oz pr 10 gals gas. When you start to see a decrease in mpg, then cut back 1/2 oz pr 10 gals gas at a time till you find your peak mpg. Thats how I got mine at 2.5 oz pr 10 gals gas and I think it would be the same for all 92-97 corollas with the 1.6 liter engine. You can purchase Acetone at Lowes, Walmart, Home Depot in the Paint Dept. I recommend buying PURE Acetone from a Beauty Supply Store as the more pure the Acetone, the better the increase in mpg. Also, ALWAYS use a funnel when put it in your tank as acetone is a paint thinner and the ingredient used in fingernail polish remover. I buy a 1 gallon jug from Sally Beauty Supply. I have a 1 pint plastic fingernail polish remover bottle, a funnel (the long skinny orange one from walmart automotive section, and a plastic 1 cup measuring cup with the ounces on the side to measure, all in a small cardboard box in my trunk.
    ENJOY YOUR SAVINGS
  • jweaver39jweaver39 Member Posts: 15
    just had 1st fillup with a 60/40 mixture of city highway driving, getting 33.6 mpg! good show from 18mpg in my 98 rodeo, this is with a new 09 corolla le
    you need to re-do the math. 45 liters= 11.89 gallons. 380 miles divided by 11.89 gallons equals= 31.96 mpg, not 38.39.
    I don't think that Torquecars.com mpg convertor is wrong buddy.38.39mpg is right.,
    :) .I have recently just filled up and am now getting 39.15 mpg using Redex and going by the driving tips for getting more mpg. :D
  • sbtattersbtatter Member Posts: 47
    He's probably using imperial gallons, as we do in Canada and the UK..... 1 gallon = 4.54 litres
  • sbtattersbtatter Member Posts: 47
    Look at the mileage the 09 got in this test, compared to rivals, (imperial mpg or L/100km)
    http://www.canadiandriver.com/50litre/
  • arb5643arb5643 Member Posts: 2
    My 2000 Corolla, with 37,000 miles (I'm the little old lady who drives to church and the grocery store !) gets 27 mpg in mostly stop and go city traffic. The only repair I've had to make was to replace the Oxygen Sensor, and of course, routine maintenance.
  • dave594dave594 Member Posts: 218
    I just started a new job this week, 60 miles each way mostly highway. My 2002 Corolla S with 5 speed usually gets between 30-35 MPG around town in mixed driving. For this commute, I drive really relaxed, upshifting early and letting the car coast in gear as much as I can get away with. Average highway speed is between 65 to 70. I just filled up yesterday and my mileage was 43.42 MPG. Needless to say I was very happy, but hope this isn't a fluke. I'll update on future fillups.
  • caazcaaz Member Posts: 209
    Hoopit........or Tbarry........any of you guys keep really accurate records like i do with my camry?... i.e.
    60 mph 39-40.058 mpg
    65 mph 1 tank @ 40.059 yes it get about the same at 60 as 65
    70 mph 37 mpg
    75 mph 33-35 mpg
    80 mph 30-31 mpg
    82 mph 29.97 this is when i drop under 30 mpg
    82+ mpg goes down significantly. like if i was to do 90 mph prob 24mpg

above is with my 2003 camry 4 cyl auto, i travel every week same route from So Calif to Phoenix... Every stinkin week, lol these are extremly consistent numbers. But the high speed traveling over 82 kills my mpg. been considering a corolla.

So, my question is, with a corolla, what is the mph breaking point where it really begins to frop like my 03 camry does at 82.??

Due to my 4500 miles a month, i have to trade out cars quite often. my 03 camry had 39,000 mi on Jan 1st. now it has about 70,000. so 31,000 in 6 months. So i want to sell it while it has good value still.

Any help would be appreciated

Later Caaz
  • caazcaaz Member Posts: 209
    Hoopit........or Tbarry........any of you guys keep really accurate records like i do with my camry?... i.e.
    60 mph 39-40.058 mpg
    65 mph 1 tank @ 40.059 yes it get about the same at 60 as 65
    70 mph 37 mpg
    75 mph 33-35 mpg
    80 mph 30-31 mpg
    82 mph 29.97 this is when i drop under 30 mpg
    82+ mpg goes down significantly. like if i was to do 90 mph prob 24mpg

above is with my 2003 camry 4 cyl auto, i travel every week same route from So Calif to Phoenix... Every stinkin week, lol these are extremly consistent numbers. But the high speed traveling over 82 kills my mpg. been considering a corolla.

So, my question is, with a corolla, what is the mph breaking point where it really begins to frop like my 03 camry does at 82.??

Due to my 4500 miles a month, i have to trade out cars quite often. my 03 camry had 39,000 mi on Jan 1st. now it has about 70,000. so 31,000 in 6 months. So i want to sell it while it has good value still.

Any help would be appreciated

Later Caaz
    Don't count on great mileage with the Corolla over 75 MPH (even with the manual) It is geared too low for good MPG numbers over 65-70 MPH. If I go over 65-70; 43MPG is not attainable.(Once you go over 3000 RPM; mileage drops fast!!) The manual Corolla really shines with it's "average' mileage abilities during city driving, when the RPMs average 2500 or less. I don't know of any car; except maybe a diesel that will do extremely well at 75+ MPH. My warm weather "average" remains at 41 with a 50/50 mix of city/highway driving. The manual will beat the automatic by 8-10 MPG in city driving if driven correctly. The highway difference is about 2-3 MPG; unless the automatic is downshifting frequently. The Corolla automatic needs an Economy/Power switch like Mazda used on the MX-6. The Corolla automatic downshifts on the slightest incline; which kills mileage.(I hated the 4 speed automatic in my 2002 Corolla; too much unecessary high RPM operation. Only able to average low 30's with 50/50 mix)