Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Corolla Real World MPG

Comments

• kenymkenym Member Posts: 405
    I live in North East Ohio, and starting in November until late March they add some sort of additives to the gasoline to prevent fuel line freeze ups. On average it could be close to 10% reduction in the MPG for that period. :sick: .
  • kestner6kestner6 Member Posts: 1
    I own 3 corollas, 09 LE 4 speed auto, 06 CE 5 speed manual, 02 LE 3 speed auto transmission. I receive different MPG with each transmission. The 5 speed manual gets 39-41 on highway at 70+ with air. awesome. The 4 speed auto gets 35-37 on highway and the 3 speed auto gets 32-36 on highway.

We drive about 50-50 (city/highway) driving sometimes slightly higher for city. Corollas offer the best fuel economy + reliability + resell value (but I don't plan on selling them)

List your transmission types with your mileage.
  • tucson_miketucson_mike Member Posts: 11
    I agree - the manual is a bit better is seems on MPG. I have a 2006 toyota corolla 5speed. Long interstate drives I get about 37 to 38MPG while in the city I get about 31 to 33 MPG. I think this latter is a bit higher than EPA estimates which are probably automatic transmission numbers - I think it also helps in the city that I coast a lot with the clutch in if I see a stop coming up.
  • kipkkipk Member Posts: 1,576
    BINGO!
  • terceltomterceltom Member Posts: 1,024
    Wow! I bet you save on fuel with that method but really go thru the burned clutches, huh? Try using the engine for braking instead of coasting up to a stop with the clutch depressed and you'll not only save your clutch but your brake pads as well. Lets see, what cost more, a clutch, brake pads or gasoline?
  • xbubbleheadxbubblehead Member Posts: 2
    The steering is a little weird but I have become used to it.
  • ajr2ajr2 Member Posts: 2
    I have a similar issue with my 2007 LE. Within the first year of purchase I took it across country and logged about 42 MPG, and that was with the AC on much of the time. Needless to say I was thrilled. A year later I took it across country again, and I began to notice that the mileage was down by about 7 MPG or so. I even stopped at a dealership on the way because of this concern, who could not give me any reason for it. Air pressure was within acceptable limits.

My most recent highway trip yielded me around 29 MPG a few months ago. Toyota isn't interested in looking into this and they are acting clueless. I think the problem is probably more widespread than most people realize, and I have a sneaky suspicion that the problem involves the problematic PCM which I'm sure Toyota would prefer for that problem to just go away as they are going to wind up spending a fortune when they are forced to do a recall because of the safety issues.

I would love to see some people with this same problem all get together and put pressure on Toyota or some regulatory agency to have something done about this
    What is a problematic PCM ?

Thanks,
    Kip
  • tucson_miketucson_mike Member Posts: 11
    That seems like a pretty dramatic fall off. I thought I had a similar thing with my 2006 corolla - when I first got it (used), thought I was getting about 39 to 41 on the highway. Immediately after putting on new Michelin tires, it dropped to about 36 to 38. Turns out the older tires were just worn and hence giving a shorter travel distance per revolution. This showed up in my MPG calculation as a longer distance than I was actually traveling (the odometer is counting revolutions not distance). For good MPG accuracy should calibrate your odometer to actual distance - I did this on the interstate by noting what my odometer read after travelling about 100miles by the mile markers on the side of the road. With the old tires, I am guessing that 100mile physical distance would have shown up on the odometer as something like 103 to 105. My new tires, incidentally, are a little "taller" (kind of odd terminology, but what the mechanics use for "diameter") and I have to adjust my reported miles up by 1.01X. I am getting 1% more actual distance per revolution than the odometer is expecting.

This is unlikely to account for all of the drop you are seeing, but something to consider.
    edited February 2010
    More aggressive tread, ie M/S, and wider tires will not give as good mileage as narrower "Smoother" treaded tires.
    Interesting, when the the PCM (whatever that is) become problematic? First I've heard ! Perhaps the time of year you took your second trip could have been a determining factor in your lower gas mileage. In the winter months in certain areas more additives are added to the gasoline which hurt gas mileage. Can't say I can fault Toyota for brushing you off regarding why your getting ONLY getting 35 mpg on the highway when you think you should be getting 42. Do ya think they got more important things to worry about ???????
  • davidsd1davidsd1 Member Posts: 11
    I have a 04 Corolla base model with 70K miles and MPG is been great! Went to Vegas on Jan for CE show and averaged 44.78MPG. The trip was from Chula Vista to Las Vegas using almost all I15 and I drove around 70-75. PSI was 36-38. On normal daily use, we get 33-35MPG, and if we go to LA, there is a good chance getting close to 40MPG, if there is no traffic.
  • kingfans1kingfans1 Member Posts: 137
    hi my 2006 toyota camry le v6 automatic average 32.3 mpg for 738.6 miles driven... warm weather driving. no ac/heater. 95 % highway, cruise.. the car have 176,000 miles. 29-30 mpg is very easy..

I am using shell 87 octane.. I am going to test shell 91 v-power to see if I can get 33-35 mpg.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/hondavtec/camry
    The cost of the premium gasoline will most likely off set any MPG savings you have.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Higher octane will not give better mpg unless your car is tuned for it (timing is advanced).
  • dvd0060dvd0060 Member Posts: 8
    I have excellent MPG. I can average as High as 48.5 on the highway no A.C
    with A.C 47.9. In the city it never drips below 29. For the week on average I get between 30-36 depending on how much highway driving I do. Yes, I drive at 60 on the highway...............not less,not more. in the city about the speed limit or just above.
    I've touched 52mpg average again just going 60 mph. I think that speed is reasonable.
    Wow, that's great! I can't get more than 26 in the city on both my 2001 and my 2009. What year is your Corolla?
  • mnfmnf Member Posts: 405
    I get a average of 30-32 in town with a 60/40 split ( Hwy-city) on trips the best i have gotten is 36-38 on the Hwy. No i dont go 60 usually 65-75 mph in the speed limits of 60-70.

MNF
  • highmiler650highmiler650 Member Posts: 75
    Automatic or manual?
  • dvd0060dvd0060 Member Posts: 8
    Just got my first oil change at the local Valvoline. They put in 5w30, like an Idiot I didn't think about it. I immediately notice a difference in my gas mileage about 2-3 miles per gallon less. ON oil cap it states 5w20. I went to the local Toyo dealer, had them do another oil change using 5w20. Gas mileage is back up. One thing I keep my tire slightly over inflated at just 32 pounds. The dealer adjusted the pressure down to 30 again. At 32 pounds I can touch 50 mpg on the highway doing just 60 and using cruise.
    edited May 2010
    I would have probably given 5w30 a longer chance, 2-3 miles per gallon mpg difference sounds like it might have just been an over-calculation. Other than synthetic vs. dino oil, these oils aren't that much different in weight. Just curious though, you followed Toyota's recommended oil so precisely, yet you through their recommended tire pressures to the wind. You're willing to compromise handling and safety for a few bucks ? I think it's especially important to follow Toyota's recommended tire pressures with the very light touch of the EPS steering.
  • truzzotruzzo Member Posts: 3
    I hear you. by inflating the tire by only two pounds more I find the handling less mushy. I spoke to a trusted mechanic about it and he seems to think 2 pounds is no big deal, ten pounds maybe.
  • echo2001echo2001 Member Posts: 17
    Get about 33 MPG Avg 20% city, 80% HWY
  • hoopitup2000hoopitup2000 Member Posts: 46
    edited August 2010
    I've been running 38-40 pounds of air in my '05 Corolla for years with no problems other than the ride being a bit stiffer, but never uncomfortable. I drop the pressure to 38 pounds in the winter when ride becomes stiffer in cold weather.

The increased tire pressure does make a difference with improved handling, fuel economy & tire wear remains excellent & even. Warm weather average is 40 MPG (39 city/41 highway) with a 50/50 mix of driving. This is possible only with the 5 speed manual when using shifting techniques to reduce engine pumping losses. The automatic is great on the highway, but unremarkable in the city.

I had an '02 with the 4 speed auto & hated it because of the inherent downshifting/lateshifting resulting in a higher RPM fuel consumption penalty during city driving. (30 city/40 highway)
  • kevin08kevin08 Member Posts: 6
    I had same problem.
    The 2010 corolla I bought had only about 28 MPG in highway, about 3 miles lower than city(45MPH). This is definitely a problem they need to face.
    Gas mileage is not a common problem in the 2009 and 2010 Corollas. Notice the dates on the posts on this thread, it seems to be that only a few new Corolla owners believe they have a problem. Gas mileage is very tricky for some owners to track. Perhaps you are having some kind of isolated problem on your vehicle that should be checked. With my partcular style of driving I get 27 city and 39 highway on my "09" Corolla and am very satisfied. These same figures seem to be very consistant with my "92" and "01" Corolla as well. Actually, my "02" Celica and my "86" tercel were very similar as well. All had basically the same motor.
  • toyota420xptoyota420xp Member Posts: 1
    i drive on a lot of slow back rodes and small towns and some highway. pretty much zero stop and go city traffic. my 09 automatic le gets probably about 33 average
  • jamaicanredjamaicanred Member Posts: 3
    I recently made a 110 mile round trip and averaged 39.3 mpg on the trip!!! Freaking awesome!!! Say what you want about the steering/paint/whatever, but the drive train on this car is flawless. Engine runs like a top and the automatic transmission can barely be felt when it shifts gears. 39 mpg is why you buy this car.
    I agree!

We recently had a Corolla "S" rental with the 1.8L engine and auto tranny for a few days while my wifes RAV4 was in the dealers shop for a hard to find problem.

In local driving I averaged in the high 30s mpg. With some stop signs and traffic lights and little traffic. My wife averaged in the mid 30s commuting to work, with medium traffic and several traffic lights and stop signs and a bit of stop and go. . For comparison she averages 22-24 with the Rav4 auto and 2.5L 4 cylinder. I took it on a short trip on back roads, with just me in the car and averaged in the mid 40s. We took it to church with 3 inside and averaged 41+ mpg.

These mileages are from the on board dash gauge and it is likely a bit optimistic. However when comparing it to the gauged mileages we are getting on our Honda Ridgeline V6 and Rav4, the Corolla is a winner by a long shot. And yes, the tranny shifts were almost un detectable unless I monitored the tach.

Great little car.

Kip
    Oh yeah! The steering in these cars is awesome, I've been saying that all along on the EPS Steering board. I have a 2009 Corolla and never had a problem. I get 39 MPG consistanly on the highway and A.C. on with my 2001 Corolla as well as my 2009 Corolla.
  • skiddingcatskiddingcat Member Posts: 1
    My 2005 gets 38 mpg hwy, my 2009 (I drove for 2 years) got 40 mpg hwy and now my 2010 gets 32 mpg hwy!!! I've had it in the shop and "nothing is wrong" and was suggested to add HEET to each tank of gas! My last 5 tankfuls have been from different stations, which eliminates the " bad tank" bit. It got better mileage at first, now it's crap, drives like it has an anchor off the back! I'm so disappointed! I'm considering trading it in! I can't afford that, but Toyota is making all kinds of excuses! I can feel they are hiding something, but I don't know what. Now from this forum I realize I am not alone. We need to all write to Toyota and Consumer Protection about it, I mean it isn't safe when I need to try to pass and the power isn't there! Also, at 70mpg the RPMs are at 3000, they are 2300-2400 on my 2009 one. There is something wrong and I'm getting mad that Toyota won't admit it! I am now driving 60 mph on the highway, to try to get the mileage up.
    32 miles per gallon highway and your dissappointed ? ? ? Even Toyota only advertises the manual transmission as getting 35 miles per gallon highway. One thing I would suggest is make sure you are driving in the "D"side of the "D/3" selection on the shifter. I've read some people think they are in "D" but are actually driving fulltime in "3". The shifter must be moved all the way to the left when driving in the "D/3" selection. This would certainly explain the loss of power when passing.
    32 mpg is horrible for a Corolla with a manual on the highway. My manual Accord gets 40 mpg easily at 65 mph, and has averaged a calculated 34.5 mpg over its 106,000 mile lifetime.

EPA is a joke - especially for manuals. My car is only rated 31 highway.

It does sound like you are not getting into high gear, but the newer corollas should be about 2,820 rpm at 70 mph with the automatic and over 3,000 rpm with the manual.
  • smknipesmknipe Member Posts: 3
    Is the "D" side on the right or the left? I haven't paid much attention to it but I thought it was marked "3-D" and the "D" is to the right in my 2011 LE. I'll check today at lunch...
    Even so my average (calculated by dividing the mileage traveled- the difference in odometer readings between fill-ups- by the amount of gas it took to fill up) thus far is an unimpressive 27.99 MPG; even though the indicator in the dash says a suspicious "31.9" MPG. This is still an improvement for me (coming from a Land Rover Discovery at about 17 MPG), but disappointing considering many of the posts here, and considering that other than myself, my car is empty and this car is split at least 80/20 highway/city driving mileage-wise, and 60/40 time-wise...
    Since I'm of course not in my car right now, I really can't remember either what side the "3" and "D" are on but all you have to do is push it to the side "D" is on. Trust me this will make a difference in MPG. I made the mistake of driving my 2009 Corolla in "3" instead of "D" for my first three tank fulls before I realized my mistake.
    Yeah I drove in 3 during the test drive without realizing it, and remembering that gave me brief hope that perhaps that was my issue, but alas, "D" is on the right and so that is not why for me...

image">
    I just bought my Corolla on Monday, is it possible that I am getting 28 MPG because the engine is not "broken in," or is that a myth on modern vehicles?
    I know this isn't going to make you feel any better but I'd take 28 mpg. no problem. I get 24 mpg on my new Corolla driving 70% city and 30% highway. I would say I'm a little heavier on the accelerator than most people, but certainly not a lead foot by any means. I've had several Corollas, some new and some used, and I've never been able to get more than 24 mpg. driving 70% city and 30% highway. That being said, I can get 40 mpg. highway no problem even with the air conditioner on.
    City driving is very hard on mpg. Combine trips so the engine is always warm. Avoid idleing (no drive through etc.) Easy on the gas - don't be the first one away from the light. anticipate stops so that you coast down to the stop. Never let the engine warm up, just start it and drive away (this will not hurt the engine). Put a little extra air in the tires and use 0w-xx synthetic motor oil. Never go over the speed limit. The faster you drive the more gas you use. Buy a stick shift if you can drive one - much more control and much better mpg even if the EPA says otherwise.

All these things will help.
  • etho1416etho1416 Member Posts: 18
    2009 corolla base model manual transmission.

I drive 95% highway, usually alone in the car. I drive the speed limit on the highway (occasionally a bit under). Going 55mph for long drives I average 48mpg and going 65 I average 42mpg (with summer gas at least, winter gas is a bit lower mpg for each speed). I use 5w-30 mobil 1 full synthetic.

If I do a bit of coasting down hills I can get 50mpg.
    My wife's Rav4 was in the shop under warranty for several days and she was given a 2010 or 2011 Corolla "S" rental with 1.8 liter and auto tranny to drive.

We were both super impressed with the comfort of the car and the fuel mileage. Her 09, 4 cylinder, Rav4 yields a pretty consistent 23 +/- for her work commute. The Corolla yielded 32+ for the same commute.

I drove it on some back roads with rolling hills and speed limits of 35-55 and got 48 mpg. No traffic or traffic lights, but a few stop signs. Drove it to church with 4 people inside and averaged 42 for the round trip. I do tend to be light on the brake and gas pedals. Whereas the wife tends to wait until the last second to take her foot off the throttle and apply the brake.

Wouldn't have surprised me at all to get 40+ mpg on the x-way at 60 mph.

Kip
  • hoopitup2000hoopitup2000 Member Posts: 46
    With the automatic, around 28-32 is about what you will get unless driven on the highway with few stops. The only way to get upper 30's to 40 with a lot of city driving is with the manual transmission. (If driven properly) The claims of extraordinary average mileage are simply not true with the auto.

The only way to check mileage accurately is the old fashioned way using the odometer. The trip computer generally gives a higher number than what is true.

Over 6 1/2 years the highest mileage my 2005 S-5 speed has gotten is 45, but only once. It averages mid 30's winter & upper 30's/low 40's summer with a 50/50 mix of city/highway driving.
  • windgracewindgrace Member Posts: 84
    After spending a few months researching cars and looking at several (test drove a Civic, Corolla, Mazda 6, Hyundai Elantra/Accent, and Yaris) I finally took home a 2010 Toyota Corolla LE I got for $14.9 with 9k on the odometer (edmunds values the car at $16.6k)! I was very surprised at how smooth the transmission and suspension felt for a compact car, after driving an 06 Civic for the past year. My sister is moving from her dorm to an apartment next year and is taking said Civic with her, so it was time for me to get my own car. I'm very stoked, and I look forward to reporting what kind of fuel economy I get with the car!
  • windgracewindgrace Member Posts: 84
    Just recently filled up the car for the first time. 75% freeway and 25% around town (about 100 miles on the freeway were with 4 other adults in the car) and I averaged 34 mpg. Not too bad!
  • jimwwhitejimwwhite Member Posts: 16
    I drive 60 miles each way to and from work every day in my 2010 Corolla LE and I've been getting 40.4 mpg all summer long. Of the 60 miles each way, 48 miles is on I-40 between Statesville and Greensboro, NC. The other 12 miles are back roads and city streets with little or no traffic stops. The speed limit on I-40 is 70 mph and I drive it normally at 65 mph. During the colder months it drops down to around 38 mpg with the winter gasoline. I love this car! And I just can't understand why anyone has a problem with the EPS steering. They say you can't feel the road but I really think someone just has to have something to [non-permissible content removed] about. If you want great mpg and don't want to put out an extra $8K for a Prius, get yourself a Corolla. Great car!!! :D
    Well said my friend! I second evrything you said about the new Corollas. I had a "79" and currently have a "92", "01" and "09" Best little car around !
  • highonreefhighonreef Member Posts: 1
    Got a 2011 Corolla LE, 2,095 miles on Odometer; just did a trip from LA to Palm Springs this morning with no A/C - 45.1mpg. On the way back in 114 degF head, got the A/C on and scored 40.1 mpg overall. That's all freeway driving with cruise control set at 67mph. Not bad for a 4-speed auto transmission. With city driving only I'd get around 27mpg. So your 28mpg is right on for a new car.

Joe
  • mauidiver15mauidiver15 Member Posts: 1
    I cant believe some of the claims im reading on this discussion board.... i have a 2010 corolla s with 11,000 miles on it. Automatic. I have been EXTREMELY disappointed in the car due to the fact that i wanted increased fuel economy. So far, i get around 25-27mpg in town which is perfectly fine with me...but when i get on the highway, set it in cruise control at either 65 or 70mph, i usually get 29-30mpg. My best run was when i drafted semi's and that resulted in 31 mpg. I do have 18inch aftermarket rims but its all set up to the dealerships recommended specifications. I just dont understand how i can get up to 20mpg less than most of the people on this forum!
    Your city mpg. seems spot on but your highway mpg. seems lower than what it should be. I get the 25-27 mpg city like you, but on the highway with a/c full on and cruising at 65-70 mph., 39-41 is my range. My first thought would be to blame it on the oversized wheels. Your positive your driving in "D" and not "3" right? Surprisingly enough this is a common mistake with the design of the newer Corolla shifter.
  • rararara Member Posts: 2
    My daughter has a 2010 LE Corolla automatic and she regularly gets less then 20 mpg
    in NYC stop and go driving. I know it's hard to believe but I've verified it myself several
    times by regularly dividing miles driven by fuel needed to top off tank. Now realize this
    includes little to no highway driving and driving often only one block at a time before
    stopping either at a light or for traffic. But it still was quite disappointing and has never
    been resolved. Strange or is it just about any car will get very poor mileage in NYC?