Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Corolla Real World MPG

Comments

• mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Any car (except a Prius or something similar that shuts off the engine when slow or stopped) gets 0 (ZERO) mpg when stopped. So the more you are stopped, the lower your mpg will be. Try another car, you will see VERY low mpg in NYC, or any place with heavy city traffic. Read how the EPA does their mpg tests - it is NOT in NYC traffic!
  • circuitsmithcircuitsmith Member Posts: 117
    How old is your daughter? Under 25?
    If she is accelerating hard from stop sign to stop sign that can really make a difference, in brake pad life too.
    In the worst stop-and-go in Wash DC the lowest I've gotten with my Matrix is 23 MPG.
    But I drive a 5-speed pretty gently.
  • terceltomterceltom Member Posts: 1,024
    edited October 2011
    What you said is absolutely correct, but I would add a light foot on the accelerator is just as important. Most start out way to fast and all this does is over revs the motor and makes for harsher shifting, not to mention wasted gas. Give the motor a chance to catch-up to a lighter accelerator pedal push.
  • coroodycoroody Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2011
    I drive mostly suburban local roads - 20 miles per day and I get 30 mpg. Pretty happy with the car so far.

Model : 2010 Corolla LE
    Odo : 1000 miles
    Owned this car from: July 2010
    Hope you have contunued good luck with your car. I love my 1992, 2001 and my 2009 also.
  • trippletimertrippletimer Member Posts: 1
    Hi. My first post. I usually never post anything, but enjoy the comments. I have a 2010 corolla. In the first year of driving , I averaged 32 mpg overall. In the second year 34. I recently wanted to see what i could get on a 3hr trip trying to conserve gas (A lot of this really is about how you :shades: :surprise: drive)and going around 55-65 mph. I pulled into duluth averaging 42mpg!! shocked! Then i drove around for the day in the city and drove home that night with a trip average of 40 mpg! Im a very happy camper. I m guessing with some minor hypermiling techniques I could get 45mpg on the hwy. 45 is the lowest i get on my 04 honda insight up to 60mpg on the hwy. both are automatics. Can you imagine if they had 6 speed transmissions in them? :)
  • kipkkipk Member Posts: 1,576
    Even a 5 Speed automatic would be nice.
    Kip
  • w0bymagnusw0bymagnus Member Posts: 19
    To highonreef:
    You're not getting 45.1mpg. There's no way. It's physically impossible for a Corolla LE 2011. Try to do your math just a little better next time, bud. You *wish* you were getting 45.1. Not even the 2012 Accent gets 45.1. People with a Prius are only reporting real world 45-50mpg. You are quite hilarious.
    Remember his handle is "highonreef".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLsVyeQEM68
  • tucson_miketucson_mike Member Posts: 11
    One of the better practical jokes I remember was, in the late 70's, we had a guy at a large IBM plant in Boulder burdening everyone with his amazing mileage (might have been a Toyota then too?). Turns out some of the super sharp guys there were dumping a gallon of gas a day into into his car at lunch - then they stopped, this poor guy raised hell with the dealer on how his car had gone to [non-permissible content removed] MPG wise. Oh well, fun memories.
  • kipkkipk Member Posts: 1,576
    edited December 2011
    Dude we regularly get 35MPG on our RAV4 on the highway at 55-60 mph.
    It's EPA ratings are 22-28.

This us a much heavier car with a lot more frontal area and lot larger engine. than the Corolla.
    Surprising enough at 55-60 mph our Honda Ridgeline gets 26-28 mpg on the road. It's EPA is 15-20 mpg.

With the RAV4 and the Ridgeline the mileage dash gauge, and at the pump calculations, are extremely close. Generally the dash will be 1/2 -1 mpg optimistic. Sometimes it will be slightly pessimistic.

And yeah, I've been calculating milesge at the pump for 52 years, so I have a general idea on how to do it.

In an earlier post, I said the mileage we got on a rental Corolla. I have no problem believing mileage with the Corolla to be in the 40s on the road. With reasonable weather and driving techniques.

Not hard to improve on EPA mileage with the proper mindset.

Kip
    Far from "physically impossible"! I can get 40 plus mpg on the highway driving at 65 mph with the A.C. on, so I don't doubt 45 mpg at all. By the way, that's with calculating mpg 100 % accuracy to the hundreth of a gallon and a tenth of a mile.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    45 mpg is very possible in a Corolla. I can get that in my Accord occasionally if conditions are perfect and I drive just under 60 mph. My lifetime average is 34.8 (over 123,000 miles)

My father has a Prius and his lifetime average is about 57 mpg. If you drive correctly excellent mpg is not hard to achieve.
  • fishinronfishinron Member Posts: 1
    Could it be imperial gallons? That would make somewhat of a difference.
  • omega2010omega2010 Member Posts: 1
    The Day I took over my car the temp drop to -30 degree Celcius. I have been warming my car a lot and the block heater is plug in when car is not driving. I just filled gas after 15 days of city driving. I got 470Km out of 42 Liter of gas. About 31MPG.
  • caazcaaz Member Posts: 209
    OBYmagnus.. Lets get the facts straight. I drive E V E R Y week from phoenix to Orange county, and back again for work. With my 03 camry my highest ever mpg was 40.058, a much bigger car, can Highonreef get 45.1? Absolutely. Let me explain Los Angeles to Palm springs is primarily downhill , at least 60 % downhill. its the exact freeway i use when i did the 40.058 in the camry, Were at sea level, cars breathe easier. If i can get 40.. he can get 45.. i currently do this trip with my 2000 jetta tdi... 80 mph =43 mpg... but 65 mph = 68.7 (my best tank ever) . And he did his 45.1 @ 67 exactly where my camry and jetta get their best Mpg. Come to sea level and try it for yourself, I gurantee you'll hit mid 40's with a corolla.

Caazguy
    I don't think downhill gas mileage is what we're really trying to compare of this thread. "Real World MPG" would lead me to believe average mpg. at an average speed, not 80 mph. I don't believe cars are like humans and breathe easier at lower altitudes either, is there any factual evidence to back this up?
  • caazcaaz Member Posts: 209
    If you read his thread, highonreef stated he went both directions. from Los Angeles to Palm springs and back again. So his gas mileage was an average of both up and downhill. Obviously theres alot you dont know beside what Air will do at sea level.... Ask car and driver or road and track. They'll both tell you its true. my cars are all faster 0 to 60 in calif then they are in Phoenix. Another thing you dont know about calif. EVERYBODY drives 80 mph on the freeways, lol. I do that speed all the way to phoenix EVERY week. and i might add get passed up by several caravans of cars at that speed. So i'm not sure where you live, but this IS our real world, these are our averages in both mpg and Speed. Youd dont drive that fast in so calif. you'll get run off the road.

caaz
    If anything gas mileage will be lower at sea level because there's more wind resistance.
    However the higher air density will allow the engine to "breathe easier" with more power available.
    Less power due to thinner air at higher elevations, but thinner air equals less wind resistance and better mpg at higher elevations.
  • tomaswintastomaswintas Member Posts: 1
    I'm getting 39.1 average for the last 3200+ miles/2 months combined city/highway. I'm impressed!
    Wow, that is awesome! My driving is split evenly between highway and city and I never can't get better than 25 mpg with my 2009 Corolla XLE; but just on the highway I can top 40 mpg. I've had many Corollas and my top combined mpg. seems to always be around 25 mpg. I love all Toyotas but especially my Corollas. Some day I hope to see either a convertible or a plug in Corolla. In the mean time I just drive my "91" Miata when I want to go "Top Down".
  • j06j06 Member Posts: 90
    95% city driving. Alot of stop and go... getting about 23 mpg.. on Highway with old bridgestone tires 35 mpg, after new hankook tires hitting close to 40 mpg.
    I too drive about 95% city and get almost identical city gas mileage as you with all my Corollas. Like you said though, 40 mpg is no problem on the highway.
    edited April 2012
    On a long trip on 2 lane 55 mph roads, some, but not many traffic lights, light winds, using AC, 60 degrees, I averaged 40.8 mpg in a 2010 Corolla.

100% City, approx. 29 mpg, but my city is different than yours, so it is hard to compare.

Some complain about not getting good mpg, but there are so many variables about how and where you are driving. Most people are doing 70 mph + on the highway, which drops mpg considerably for ANY car, and they have lots of stop and go, etc., etc. that they forget about.

Bottom line - Corollas get EXCELLENT MPG, better than most other cars in it's class. Consumer Report's real world mpg tests rate the Corolla # 3 in it's class, beat by a Hybrid and the VW Jetta TDI. I'd say that is really good.
  • hoopitup2000hoopitup2000 Member Posts: 46
    Been considering trading my 2005 Corolla for a 2012. Looks like the 2012 model is over 200 pounds heavier than the '05. Other than the addition of electric power steering, I don't see how the mileage can match the '05 with what looks to be the same engine. Am I missing something? With the 5 speed manual I am averaging 39 MPG year round with a 50/50 mix of driving.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    If you would be trading mainly for the chance to get better fuel economy, I doubt that you'll get better than 39 mpg in mixed driving on the 2012. That is excellent for ANY non-hybrid car.
    OMG no! You'll never get 39 with a 2012. I have a 2001, 1992, and a 2009 Corolla and I only get 24 mpg city consistantly with all three of them.
  • toyotafan6toyotafan6 Member Posts: 49
    I had a 2001 Corolla LE for almost 11 years, sold it a few months ago and bought a 2012 Yaris LE -

My Corolla was (and still is I'm sure) a good little car, very dependable, I got 30 MPG city pretty consistently for city and 39 on the hwy, just as the sticker stated. Only a few times over the 11 years did it get a mile or two below/above 30 mpg, the most I ever got was 32 mpg and the lowest was 28 mpg. When I got 28 mpg I checked my tire pressure and it was a little low.

My new Yaris got 36.5 mpg (90% city driving) on my last tank according to my calculation, the onboard mpg computer said it was 35.2 (as I recall) - the sticker states 30 mpg city and 35 mpg hwy.

So far I really like my new Yaris but that Corolla was a great car!
    Well, minor tweaks in the tuning, gearing, and aerodynamics can get more mpg from basically the same engine block, even though the car is 200 lbs more than the 2005. The 2012 also has way more electronic control of the engine.
    Thanks, I guess the city mileage will suffer the most with the extra weight when starting from a full stop. Once up to speed, I'm sure the improved aerodynamics would offset the weight penalty somewhat. I wonder if the electric power steering makes much difference?
    Electric power steering improves mpg, but probably not more than 0.5 mpg. However, if you combine all these minor mpg improvements, it can start to add up. For as much as the Toyota haters like to complain/talk down about the Corolla, it really delivers excellent mpg, only beat by a diesel and a hybrid in CR real world mpg tests. Just wait until the next generation comes out, no doubt with a 5 or 6 speed auto and (hopefully) a 6 speed manual, along with many other improvements. Then, it will have even better mpg.
    I have plenty of Corollas right now, a Miata MX5 and a Plymouth Voyager; I told myself no more vehicles until they debut a Corolla "plug-in". I guess we'll be talk'in Miles Per Kilowatt Hour then.
  • kitcloudkick3rkitcloudkick3r Member Posts: 15
    1999 non-VVTI 5-speed Stick averaged 28MPG city (NYC) and 40MPG Highway in the winter.
    1999 Non-VVTI 5-speed Stick Averaged 26MPG City (NYC with AC on) Highway 38MPG with AC on.

2003 Corolla LE 5-speed Stick shift Averaged 30MPG city (NYC) and Highway 46MPG
    2003 Corolla LE 5-speed Stick Shift Averaged 28MPG city (NYC With AC on) Highway 43MPG with AC on.

If you drive it like you stole it you get roughly 26mpg average in the 99 and 30 average in the 03.

Ultimately the 99 was more comfortable to drive in, better seating position and better quality materials on the interior.. so while the 03 was better on gas, id take the 99 due to comfort.. I'm convinced the 03 was designed for monkeys... short legs and long arms..
    edited May 2012
    How fast are you driving on the highway; 50 MPH?

Sorry, but I can't imagine the '03 Corolla is averaging those numbers at realistic highway speeds. The '05 is only 28 pounds heavier & averages 40-42 MPG at 65 MPH under ideal conditions. I've only seen 45 MPG once in almost 7 years & it was likely a calculation error.
  • martialcompmartialcomp Member Posts: 1
    I am in the hoopitup camp. I own a 2005 Corolla LE auto. fueleconomy.gov says 31.5 mpg average with 61 samples. I am averaging between 34 and 34.5 in with about 75% highway driving. I suspect that the 5 speed manual would yield about 2-3 more mpg. I live in So Cal. I think that the people claiming 45 mpg are cherry picking specific runs with mostly highway miles at slow speeds and maybe even downhill terrain.

Don't buy a Corolla automatic if you are expecting more than ~ mid 35 mpg with mostly highway driving.

My highest ever was 90+% freeway driving with no traffic slowness and yielded about 37.4. I suspect the car is capable of 38 with the cruise control on driving 65-70 on almost 100% highway driving.

If you driving suburb city driving in a planned community then you can probably expect around 30 mpg. If you are driving in a dense urban area, it is going to be much lower (26 or worse).
    I could imagine 45 under ideal conditions driving at speeds of 55 mph. By your own example of seeing 40-42 mpg at speeds of 65 mph getting 45 is not unlikely because your best mpg occurs at speeds of 55 mph.
  • tucson_miketucson_mike Member Posts: 11
    Early on, I thought I was getting about 39mpg on by 2006 corolla manual. But then I calibrated my odometer and found I needed to adjust its reading by about 0.97 for the effect of my tires being worn down. So for instance, going by the mile markers on the interstate, I found a 100miles by those markers showed 103 on my odometer. Since the tires were physically a little lower diameter, they had to rotate further (picked up by the odometer) to get the same distance. A 3% decrease in circumference is less than a 1% decrease in tire height is another way to say it. Making that adjustment got the mpg back to about 38mpg.

Once I got new tires, had to go the other way slightly, and increase my recorded odometer by 1%.

Anyway, it is great to see super high mpg. Where you are getting that, check if your tires are worn down a bit and calibrate the odometer reported to actual miles is an easy adjustment to take that estimate out of the range of reported results.
    Great observation Mike!! I'm wondering if this is common on the Corolla?

I discovered by accident that my odometer is off by 2 miles every 100 as well. To confirm this, I re-checked on another roadway to make sure the mile markers weren't to blame. Still off by 2 miles every 100 on an interstate highway.
  • janderson8janderson8 Member Posts: 30
    I'm considering purchasing a new Corolla. The listed mileage isn't that great (26/34). Current car is a Civic and it easily gets 30-32 city during the warmer months. So...I don't want to go down a lot but like the Corolla. What is the real world mileage in the city (where I do most of my driving)? What about highway? I see many reporting close to 40, but they have older models, which seemed to be given higher mpg ratings. Thanks!
    Well, if you look at Consumer Report's real world mpg test, it says that the Corolla is best in class, except for a hybrid and a diesel.

My experience is it is easy to get 37 mpg on the highway at a steady 70 mph, light winds, 40+ degrees F. If slower than 70, not a problem to get 39 mpg.

City - it does very well also, but it is too hard to compare one person's "city" with anothers. That's why I say compare Consumer Report's real world mpg.
    I currently have three Corollas, I have a 1992, 2001 and a 2009 and I never got better then 28 mpg with 90 % city driving on any of my Corollas. Highway is another story, I can easily get 38 with any of them with the A.C. on and cruising at 65 mph. That being said, I love all of my Corollas. The only other small car I would even consider would be a Mazda 3.
    What year is your Civic?
    I just looked on www.fueleconomy.gov
    I compared the 2013 Corolla, 2012, 2007 & 2000 Civics, all 5-speeds:
    2013 Corolla - 27 city, 34 hwy
    2012 Civic - 28/36
    2007 Civic - 26/34
    2000 Civic - 27/33

The 2000 Civic is 1.6L, others are 1.8L
  • janderson8janderson8 Member Posts: 30
    My Civic is a 2005. It is rated, I believe, at 29 city, but I have had no problem getting over 30 during the warmer months in city driving. (The same exact kind of driving got me only 18-19 in a 2000 Camry (rated at 23 city), so I'm wondering if Toyota inflates their mileage ratings or finds some way to list them higher. My Civic is a manual. The Camry was an automatic. Of course, a new Civic would probably cost $2000 more than the Corolla, which would compensate money wise for the extra gas but it wouldn't do the environment or our national oil consumption any good.
    Toyota does not "inflate" their mileage ratings any more than Honda. They all are EPA ratings, not individual ratings, and all the makers try to score the highest possible on the EPA test. Did you check out Consumer Reports' real word mpg ratings?

For 100,000 miles, but the car costs $2,000 more, you would have to have much more mpg to make it worth it. For example, at 28.5 mpg a new Civic is 3.5 mpg better than a Corolla, but $2,000 more, then it is break even.= 25 mpg. At 34mpg vs 29 mpg, that is break-even. Assuming $4.00 per gallon.

I have no problems getting EPA or better on a 2010 Camry with a 6 speed manual, or 2010 Corolla auto.
    I don't believe Toyota or any other automobile manufacturer "inflates" their EPA gas mileage ratings but I do believe the EPA ratings are mostly unrealistic. It's just a measure of how to gauge one car over another as far as one being better on gas then the other.
    The manual transmission is the difference. The EPA ratings favor automatics. It is easy to beat the EPA ratings in a manual.
    I suppose if you terribly under rev the motor and really labor it, you might be able to match or even beat the EPA MPG ratings; but who wants to drive like that ?
    When I say beat them I mean by like 10 mpg. My '07 Accord stick is rated 31 highway and I have averaged 35 mpg for 160,000 miles. More than 60 tanks have been over 40 mpg. My '90 Integra actually gets worse mpg, but it is only rated at 26mpg highway. I very rarely have a tank under 30mpg in that car and it can get 40 mpg occasionally.

Never heard of an MT that could not easily beat EPA ratings.
    Well if the 2013 Corolla is rated at 27 city and 34 hwy and your going to tell me you can "easily beat" that and get 37 city and 44 hwy consistantly without altering your driving habits severly I would have to ask, do you use 1st and 2nd gear at all ? ? ? ? LOL