Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Corolla Real World MPG

Comments

• mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,680
    The automatic from those years was a 3 speed, instead of 4, so yes, the CE only gets 33 mpg. Now, all automatics have the 4 speed auto.
  • 2006 Corolla LE Manual.

Driving from Telluride to Denver -- 322 miles, I used exactly 7 gallons. 46 mpg on the dot. I had one adult passenger and luggage. Speed ranged from 50 to 80, averaging 70. Maybe there was a tailwind. I doubt the total elevation lost of 3000' made a difference.
  • Before my 98 corolla le gave up the ghost in a car accident (see my post under the 200K miles section), I was getting a solid 33 mpg on the freeway and 30 about town. Then I got a rooftop kayak rack and the numbers plummeted to about 24 highway. I always kept the tires well inflated, didn't really carry around any extra weight, and mostly just drove with another passenger. I usually do btw 65-75 mph in dry, mild california weather. Given that our gas prices are well over $3/gallon, I looooved that mileage without the rooftop rack.
  • I think they are already dumping the winter fuel additives in... average is down to 35mpg (granted, 60/40 city/highway)
  • I love my new 06 Corolla S - great look and ride. But after 3 tanks - still only getting 22MPG around town (no highway driving at all). Can I expect this to go up to the 30's like everyone else gets around town?
  • kenymkenym Posts: 405
    My wife has a 06 Corolla S ( auto ) with about 3800 miles on it and she is getting 30+ with all city driving. We live in North East Ohio and I don't think they started adding the winter fuel additives yet, so this may change. However the mileage has been very good with only one tank full under 30 mpg since we purchased the car in May and that was in August when she ran the A/C constantly. If you are use to driving a bigger car with more power you may have to adjust your driving habits.
  • So far, I filled up 3 times in the 3 weeks that I have the 2007 LE. 2/3's highway miles and 1/3 city. Averaging 31 MPG. Hope to do a little better soon. It's got 900 miles on it.
  • My average is right around 37-38mpg highway. During the summer I'll peak at around 44 and in the winter drop down to about 34.

My '88 FX has 207k miles on it and is in tip top shape.
    I live in North East Ohio and I believe they start using winter fuel additives around the end of October. My wife's 06 Corolla S was averaging 30+ since she bought it in May.
    However since the end of October her mileage has dropped to about 27 or 28 mpg. Nothing in her driving habits has changed. We still fill up at the same place. Still use 87 Octane and the car seems to run and idle the same. Just the difference in the mpg. I was told the reason for the winter fuel additives is to prevent fuel line freeze up. The gas itself wont freeze but the condensation in the lines could freeze and cause the car to stop running. I believe they remove the additives around the end of March or early April.
  • Wow. You really keep track of your car's MPG.
    Yes I do. I am retired and golf season is just about over here in Ohio, so I have a lot of time on my hands and it gives me one more thing to drive my wife nuts with. :shades:
  • cxccxc Posts: 122
    I had a rental 2004 LE auto for a week about two years ago. I got 42 MPG on average. I simply did not believe that it is TRUE. After using the navigation system of my Lexus to check how many miles it really is from my home to my work in addition to MapQuest, it turned out that the Corolla recorded 23 miles for a 17 mile trip. The real average MPG for that Corolla is about 31 MPG as compared to a 24 MPG of my Lexus.
    I don't know about your rental Corolla or how you came up with the 6 mile difference, but my wife has a 2006 Corolla S auto and up until last month when they started adding the winter additives in the gas she averaged 30 + in the city and around 38 + on all highway driving. I have never noticed a difference in the trip or actual odometer readings either and I do pay attention to the mileage.
  • Yes,it is a good idea to check the accuracy of your vehicles odometer if you want to get accurate MPG figures. A good way to do this is to use the mile marker signs on any interstate highway. I have found that my Corolla is off by 3 miles for every 100 miles of travel.(I checked this on 2 different roadways just to make sure).
    I have to admit I never checked it that close. I did the mile marker thing on the interstate several times and it seemed to check out, but being off three miles for every 100 miles ( 3% ) is really bazaar. My wife doesn't use the interstate very often and we don't use the Corolla when we travel. However I wonder what would cause that.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,726
    Apparently many cars of different makes have speedos that read 2-4% high, so that if it says 65 you are actually doing more like 63. Naturally, that would mean that when the odomoeter said you had gone 100 miles, you would only have actually gone 97.

But the fellow whose total trip distance went from 23 miles down to 17 is relying too much on the mapquest thingy which is not giving him the information he thinks it is. That would mean that when his speedo said 60 mph, he was actually going 45, and I think he would have noticed something like that, don't you? ;-)

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Yes I do agree with you. I believe even at 3% I would notice that my speed was off. I live in the city and travel through a lot of school zones every day. Most of which are monitored by the police, and believe me they strictly enforce the 20 MPH speed limit. ANYTHING over 20 MPH is pulled over and ticketed ( and rightfully so ). We also have some school zones who post your speed on a monitor above the road. I always check the speedo with the monitor more out of habit than anything else but if it wasn't the same I would definitely take it to the Dealer to have it checked.
  • I doubt you (or more importantly, the fuzz) would notice a 3% difference in observed vs. actual speed at 20 MPH. Unless the detector rounds up, you'd still be at 20 MPH (20.6)!
    You are correct about the detector. However most of the school zones in my area have an overhead screen posting your current speed, and my speedo is right in line with them. We don't normally use the Corolla to travel in but I am planning on taking it on a short trip to test the overall accuracy of the OD. It really doesn't matter if it right on or 3% off or whatever. At this point I am just curious and besides it's my wife's car anyway.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,726
    To really test this, you have to be going high enough speeds for something like the detector to give you any meaningful information. Even at 65 mph, 2-3% error only means 1-2 mph, so you are going to have to be very careful checking the speedo and keeping your speed perfectly steady.

The much better way to do this would be to take it to a speedo shop and have them calibrate it. And I will be very surprised if they find that yours is perfectly calibrated, unless that is something you have had a shop do for your car already. Heck, just driving on old tires with 50-75% of the original tread gone will cause your speedo to read as much as 1 mph too high, because of the decreased radius of the worn tire.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)