Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Escape Real World MPG

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
Escape/Tribute Owners, please post your actual MPG! Please be sure to include whether it is manual/automatic, 4cyl/6cyl, and AWD.

"Real World" Fuel Economy vs. EPA Estimates

Comments

• rcinmdrcinmd Member Posts: 139
    2005 Tribute

4 cylinder
    5 speed manual trans
    All Wheel Drive

not quite 2000 miles

20 - 22 mpg "suburban" driving ( have seen 19 mpg during colder temps )
    26 - 27 mpg highway, but no long trips as of yet, with multiple fills
  • j30j30 Member Posts: 30
    05 Trib

V6 FWD
    6000 miles
    50% Highway

No trips yet...
    Average is 23 MPG
  • hermannhermann Member Posts: 38
    My girlfriend new Mariner as described above is averaging 20 MPG. Hoping for 22-23 MPG after 10K or so.
  • escapenutescapenut Member Posts: 117
    2001 Escape V6 FWD XLT; 70K miles, real world mileage figures are at present :

16-17 City
    20-Hwy

Don't know if I'll ever be able to get any better but I'm still trying. From all forums/ posts, mileage seems to be better with the '05 Escapes/Tribs./Mariners or at least
    a couple of mpg better than '01-'04 models. I think maybe it's d/t electronic throttle
    linkage and some re-tuning of the 3.0 V6. My friend with an '05 Tribute seems to have better throttle response and pick-up in his too as well as about 2-3 mpg better
    mileage.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,308
    17 to 22 mpg. longest trip 125 miles one way. most trips between 5-15 miles.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • henry_nhenry_n Member Posts: 33
    New 2005 Tribute, V6, automatic, 2wd. Three tanks so far, best at 22.7, lowest at 20.5, mostly highway driving (with a heavy foot).
  • mikezakmikezak Member Posts: 95
    Believe it or not, I got 24.9 MPG on a highway trip,...and I only have 1084 miles on the vehicle. I will soon be changing to Mobil 1 and as it breaks in, I expect maybe 25-26 MPG on Highway.
  • kam327kam327 Member Posts: 115
    Got almost 24 mpg on a trip this past weekend. Onlyhave 1500 miles on the car so it's barely broken in. I had the A/C on, cruise control, and only made one quick pit stop.
  • 204meca204meca Member Posts: 369
    Sold at 38K. Ave in city was 18-19, ave on highway was 21-23. Best on highway was 24.6. Sold for Subaru Forester. Tow my boat just as well, as comfortable, and gets 20 -25% better gas mileage
    '04 escape; about the same mileage(as '02 trib).
    Just finished a 1200 mile round trip with the '01 Escape V6 moderately loaded-down and actually averaged 23-24 mpg for the whole trip, doing ~70 mph. On one stretch of highway (flat-straightway for the most part) I actually got 27-mpg. I thought that this was a mistake, so on the homeward trip I filled-up at ~the same-time and location, etc. I achieved the same mileage on the same stretch. Normally though it was the above average which is about right, but I've never before
    gotten that good of mileage, ever from my '01 Escape.
    Just arrived in Florida for the annual Christmas visit. This is the first long drive I've taken with the Tribute. It's a 2005, 4 cylinder, all wheel drive 5 speed. It now has 7600 miles. For the I-95 portion of the trip, during which I ran a consistent 75 - 80 mph, I averaged 28 mpg. Not bad, though I'll admit I was hoping for 30...
  • odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    Well, my mileage has been much better most of the run of the vehilce after I added a Tornado to the engine.

Vehicle: '01 Escape XLT
    Engine: 215hp V6 (after Tornado install and checked on a dyno at dealership)
    Drive: 4WD
    Mileage: 76454 (as of 02/07/06
    MPG: 20-22 City / 28-30 Hwy (but have had it as high as 32)

Odie
    My '01 XLT V6 FWD mileage has never been above 19 mpg City. Normally it averages 16-18 mpg City. I currently have ~87.3K on the odo.
    I believe I have done everything I know of to increase mileage (except the Tornado): K&N air filter, Mobil 1 synthetic oil from 22K miles, Mobil 1 synthetic transmission fluid, Magnaflow free-flow muffler. I know one thing, it goes faster and sounds good too, than when broken-in new. I figure my HP gain must be about 20, bumping it up to maybe 220 HP. This really may be the cause of my low(er) mileage too, but I try not to rabbit-start.
    I may be buying a 2006 Mariner V6 FWD which on paper gets better mileage by about 25% than my '01 Escape. One of the things holding me back is Ford's continued issue with brake-pad dusting. It drove me crazy until I switched to ceramic pads a couple of years ago.
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    XLT V6 4WD averages about 20 in the city, 25 on the Highway.. If I keep my speed down to about 60 I have gotten as high as 28ish..
  • dearbornborndearbornborn Member Posts: 6
    I certainly would take those numbers. I recently drove from the Willamette Valley to Seattle with the cruise set at 65 and the roof rack off (hate the wind noise) and got 23.5. I've never gotten close to 20 in town. Only have 6K on vehicle so perhaps it might improve but I'm not holding my breath.
    I also have to confess that I have had a little engine work done to help me get those numbers. First I had the Tornado, then having the Turbo added along with the Tornado.

Odie
  • mo4mo4 Member Posts: 4
    Unlike a lot of the messages before me, I am experiencing lousy mileage, 12 -14 in town and 18 on the highway. Only once got 20 -22 but that was at a constant 65 - 70 mph. Mazda checked it out twice and said there is nothing wrong with it and it is operating as it should. It is not the driving, we are very careful. Any suggestions?
    check to make sure your tires are at the right pressure. If you tires are under pressured you will get crappy mileage.. also when it comes time for new tires, if you don't do any serious off-road driving or live in an area that is prone to massive snow in winters, I would recommend switching to a street tire over the heavy duty off road gripping tires, you will get better mileage and a quieter / smoother ride. If your in an area that get mostly rain, then a good rain highway tire would be better.

Hope this helps out.

Odie
    Odie's Garage
  • mo4mo4 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the tip. already done that. New tires, Yokohamas and they are a good quieter tire and inflated properly. It must be something else!!!

Mark
    only other thing I can think of is since we are coming into the spring months, try a can of DryGas in your tank along with a fuel line cleaner. You may not be getting optimum fuel pressure and it is making your engine work harder.

Odie
    Odie's Garage
    changing tires can affect your gas mileage. was an alignment done?
    i took off the front crossbar and changed the air filter on our '04 escape. mileage is up about 6% over last year.
  • mcsp00mcsp00 Member Posts: 3
    CHange the air cleaner. I've experienced significant gas mileage loss due to a dirty air cleaner. Aftre replacing the air cleaner, I picked up 3MPG.
    i agree, the air filter makes the biggest difference. a lot of cr-v owners report higher mileage, so look at them to see what could be different. i noticed a lot of them don't have the crossbars on the top.
    the only time I put my crossbars on the top of my escape is when I need to use them (christmas tree, larger items that won't fit inside, etc.)

Odie
    Odie's carspace Garage
  • joelampjoelamp Member Posts: 4
    Just about 1,000 miles on our new Tribute now and we have been getting just shy of 20 MPG (about 19.45).

The owners manual says not to consider MPG accurate until the engine is broken in (around 1,000 miles). So I guess we will see how the mileage goes from here on out.

If we can get/keep around 20/gal in a mix of highway and city driving, I will be satisfied.
  • homermedichomermedic Member Posts: 10
    23 mpg (or 10l/100km)
    2006 Escape
    6 cyl, 17500 km on it
  • bodysurfer04bodysurfer04 Member Posts: 1
    We really like our 05 Tribute,however, the interior noise level, even with all windows closed, seems to have increased.Does anyone have a similar experience?
    Has anyone found a way to reduce the noise level? It has become difficult to have a converstaion with passengers.
    Any feedback would be appreciated before we bring it to the dealer to check out.
  • chitown777chitown777 Member Posts: 13
    What is a tornado?
    Check your air filter and plugs. I would also use a treatment called "Complete Fuel System cleaner". It's about $10 and Chevron makes it. You can get it at your local auto parts.

If you drive a lot of small distances, or leave your car on for a few minutes here and there, that's the numbers you will get.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    What is a tornado?

It's a device that gives some vorticity (spin) to the air in your intake that supposedly improves engine efficiency.

There has been some discussion of it in Gas Saving Gizmos & Gadgets.

tidester, host
    Took a quick trip from Central Md to Lynchburg and back. Ran about 70 mph on 81 / 64, then down various state roads to the destination.

Overall mpg as expected - 28 mpg. 2005 Tribute, 2.3 liter 4 cyl, 5 speed manual, All Wheel Drive.

The big question is why the gas in Va has fallen to as low as 2.599 per gallon regular in Va, while here in questionable-practice Md, it has gotten no lower than 2.899 here, and still far higher towards DC, which is somewhat understandable, in a round-about way.
    A tornado is a piece of equipment that make a vortex (spiral) of air to create a better air / fuel mixture. Some vehicles already have this system in place but call it different names (ex. Vortec, Ram Air). It is basically an air charger system that induces more air into the intermix chamber.

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I bet if you took yours out and reset the ecu, your mileage would stay about the same (or even go up a little bit). The $60 swirly gizmos don't increase the amount of air going into the intake. People spend big bucks to do that (Breathe Easy: Int. & Exh. Headers + Mufflers and Pipes).
    considering I no longer have the Escape, taking the tornado out would be hard at this point, even if it was still in. I had to take the tornado out when I had the Turbo system installed on the Escape.

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
  • faroutfarout Member Posts: 1,609
    Our daughter is considering an Escape. she drives 2,700 miles a month. She either wants the Escape or a Jeep Liberty. She is certian she wants 4x4 but which is better the 4 or 6 cynlinder? and is there much difference between the 06 and 07?

Farout
    a subaru will probably be a better choice. neither the escape or liberty are know for gas mileage.
  • gussguss Member Posts: 1,167
    I have had it now for 6 mos. and 10k miles. Total mileage is 54k.

Overall 21.3 mpg in mixed driving. Best yet has been 24.2 on a trip.

I am pretty satisfied with that, considering it's a v-6 and shaped like a brick.
    this weekend.
    average of 19.5 mpg over 31k miles.
    longest trip has been about 250 miles.
    i will be draining the tank a few times.
    first tank 303 miles 23.1 mpg. this included some nyc traffic across the gw bridge stop and go on I95 especially delaware.
    next tank 268 miles 21.9 mpg. worst traffic encountered was a stretch of 15 miles that took 2 hours. also dead stop on 1-95 in maryland for a while.
    last tank pa 15 to I81 to I84 317 miles 25.7 mpg.
    lots of hills in pa/ny/ct. tried to maintain 75 as much as possible. i'm really happy with that!
  • dodgedudedodgedude Member Posts: 17
    Just went over 30,000 miles. Mileage seems to be the same regardless of conditions, traffic, etc. (40% hwy, 60% city), averages between 24.5 and 25 mpg. With heavy hwy driving, tends to get close to 26 mpg. Overall, extremely happy with it, mileage is definitely better than the pickup I had before.
    How many more MPG do you get with the Tornado/Vortec?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You may be interested in Gas Saving Gizmos & Gadgets.

tidester, host
  • zoom_utezoom_ute Member Posts: 13
    nice link.

I find that my 2006 Tribute 2.3 AWD 5-manual is achieving closer to "old" ratings vs new. Although my highway MPG hasn't ever been as good as 26 (was ~25 though, in the winter with a full load at 70+ mph). As the car is breaking in the mileage seems to be improving. This winter I've averaged 23-24 mpg, with one tank as low as 22 (very cold with lots of slow driving i nthe snow) and one recently as high as 25.3. I have less than 7k miles on it so far, I expect it will go up another 1-2 MPG by 10k miles Based on info from my brother who has a 2005 Escape 2.3l 5-M (he averages about 25 per tank and gets 27-28 on the highway)

I looked up my old car as well with the link, a 2004 Passat 1.8T 5-manual, that car definitely achieved the "new" lower MPG ratings. AC, lots of stop and go turbo use, and cold weather REALLY killed mileage in that car. And it was geared low so the highway MPG at realistic speeds was not so great.
  • krtributekrtribute Member Posts: 1
    Hi guys,
    Just signed on after writing a review in Edmunds.
    I have the 2005 Tribute i, 4 cyl front wheel drive, 5 spd Automatic tranny, all the std. features, plus cruise as option. Bought it new 3/05

Just checked MPG again for a 40% hwy/60% local tank. I get 29.1 mpg. No word of a lie, the thing is amazing considering it is a small suv that you can fill to the brim with stuff, AND it handles like a sports car.

You start adding 4 wheel drive and 3L 6cyl and the mileage of course falls off. I am so pleased with this vehicle I can't even tell you.
  • ron1958ron1958 Member Posts: 9
    My FWD 4cyl XLT which I bought early May has been great on gas so far. It has the trip computer which for the first 2 tanks of fuel showed 24.5 and 25 mpg. I verified these figures against fuel used, and pretty much spot-on. My driving is a 60/40 mix of highway/city. I am sure in 100% highway miles it will exceed the rated 26mpg.
  • garboogarboo Member Posts: 2
    When I drive with OD OFF I seem to get better
    gas mileage than with it ON.The owner's manual says the opposite is true.I usually drive around 95 km/hr.I computed 24.8 mpg..mostly highway.
    It seems like the gas gauge goes down quicker in OD..weird.
  • ryland2ryland2 Member Posts: 1
    At 42,000 miles I have an average of 20.9mpg with mostly country driving.
  • elkay38elkay38 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 awd Escape v6 LTD 90% local driving- computer is steady at about 13.7 mpg. Not driving like grandma but don't have a lead foot either. I like this car and am ready for a new one, however the mpg is making me look at other small suv's. Any advice?