Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Escape Real World MPG

2»

Comments

• twaintwain Member Posts: 185
    We've had our 2007 Mariner FWD V6 for about 6 months and it averages 21-22mpg. That's half city, half hiway.
  • boyceboyce Member Posts: 48
    Just did my 1st mileage check. All local driving. Most trips under 5 miles. 80% stop and go. Longest Distance without a stop, 4miles. Got 19 mpg on second tank. No opportunity for a road trip yet. Just passed 500 miles.

2015 Mazda 3 Skyactive 6spd. auto 2008 Mazda Tribute S 4spd auto.

:) Just did my 1st mileage check. All local driving. Most trips under 5 miles. 80% stop and go. Longest Distance without a stop, 4miles. Got 19 mpg on second tank. No opportunity for a road trip yet. Just passed 500 miles.

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    It's Tuesday, so that means it's time for our weekly chat session. Meet and greet with some of your CarSpace forums friends and chat about your favorite cars!

The Mazda Club Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
    2nd mileage check, same conditions as post#56. 19.2 mpg. Now have over 800 miles.

• bobsw1bobsw1 Member Posts: 4
    Recently bought 06, with 30k miles, and calculated first 3,000 miles for gas milage. Mostly country roads, very careful use of gas pedal and RPMs. Full average 28mpg. Not bad but for all the effort, wanted more. Will try removing cross bars. Any new ideas?

thanks
    bob
  • twolfordtwolford Member Posts: 2
    I have the above (03 Ford Escape, V6, 4WD) which I recently purchased. It has the heavy duty Luggage Rack. I am looking for ideas on how to improve my MPG. Anyone out there have any? I get about about 16-17 MPG average combined highway/city. Have yet to get 300 miles from the 16 gal tank but have taken no roadtrips yet but will over Thanksgiving so I'll soon know what my Hwy MPG will be, I am happy with the vehicle overall but had hoped to get better MPG when I purchased.
  • fjb37fjb37 Member Posts: 5
    My wife drives an 05 Escape V6 w/AWD and got about 13 mpg in combined city/suburban (Chicago area) driving when we first got it from CarMax. The vehicle was a Hertz rental from LA and how and why it ended up in Chicago is anybody's guess but it looked like new and had 13.5K miles on it so we bought it.

I had no idea what kind of oil CarMax put in it so when oil change time came around I used the 5W-20 Motorcraft semi-synthetic as recommended in the owner's manual. The mileage increased to the 15 mpg range. The next oil change I used 5W-20 Mobil1 full synthetic and sucked 5 qts. of fluid from the tranny and replaced it with Mobil1 synthetic tranny fluid. The in dash mileage computer is now in the 18 mpg range for city/suburban driving. You might want to try full synthetic oil if you are not using it now and use 5W-20 as recommended by Ford.

My wife loves this vehicle, I do not care for it. I prefer our 94 Dodge Grand Caravan.
    The Caravan has what the Escape has not. A comfortable leather seat, foot room, a comfortable gas pedal angle and enough room between the gas pedal and brake pedal so I don't hit both with my size 11/4E New Balance shoes. It also does not have cheap hard plastic where I rest my elbow! I will admit that the Escape does quite well when the snow flies. The auto AWD works beautifully in the snow.and the vehicle goes where you point it without slipping or sliding. Other than that, Ford could have done better. Just my $0.02.

FredB
    Just an update from 10/8, now another 1,500 miles approx, milage still holding between 26 &28 over country roads, and hwy.

Suggestions: Drive by the Tachometer, try and attain 30mph at no more than 1250rpm, 45mph at 1600rpm, and 55mph at 2000rpm. Dont use cruise control on hilly areas, carefully raise the speed, and country roads use OD on any hills. Take your foot over the gas any down slopes, dont idle the car, dont warm up and no jack rabbit starts.

Keep tire pressure mfr specs, and of course find the shortest distances to where you have to go.

good luck.
    bob
  • twolfordtwolford Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Fred and Bob for the input to my question.

Fred,

I had planned to go to synthetic as you had done and see if that helps but was wondering if there were any aftermarket add-on's like headers/exaust bolt or a chip that might help but so far have not seen any for the escape. I'm thinking of replacing all the oil's in the vehicle with Red Line and see what that does but the oil is fairly expensive and harder to find so may to to Mobil synthetic instead.

I have just returned back from a Thanksgiving trip (525 miles one way) and on the way up was able to acheive 20 mpg without babying the vehicle and running 70-75 most of the way. My vehicle is a V6 automatic and I have previously tried running 65-70 on the interstate in overdrive but when I go up any hills the vehicle will downshift and the RPM's jump from about 2200 to 3000 which I assume reduces my MPG. I seem to have to only run about 63 MPH to keep the vehicle from downshifting up small grades. I'll keep expiermenting and see what works best. We like the Escape so far. We have the leather seats and electric drivers seat and padded console so it's all pretty comfortable and there seems to be plenty of space between the gas pedal and brake so no issues there for me. I think I would have liked the 4 cyl model better as I'm more into saving fuel than having the extra power but will make the best of what we have.

Terry
  • kam327kam327 Member Posts: 115
    I have a 2008 Mazda Tribute V6 AWD. It now has about 9,000 miles. I have been averaging around 19-20 mpg overall with mostly suburban driving and some highway driving. Max highway economy was about 22.5 mpg. I just took a 450 mile road trip this weekend after doing the following to try to boost fuel economy: 1) Remove roof rack cross bars, 2) Install a K&N air filter, and 3) keep speed below 70mph and try to avoid hard accelerations at all costs (even turning off cruise control while on up grades to prevent transmission from downshifting and increasing engine rpm's). To my shock, on the way out I calculated 25.8 mpg and on the way back 26.7 mpg. I thought on the way up it was a mistake, like somehow I didn't as much gas back in the tank at the end of the trip. But since I did even better on the way back a mistake is much less likely. I'm going on another road trip this weekend and will try to confirm these numbers, but so far it looks like making a few simple modifications and changing your driving habits really does make a huge difference in fuel economy.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Tuesday means Mazda chat night! The chat opens at 8:45 pm ET and runs until 10 pm ET. I hope you're able to join us tonight to meet and greet with your fellow CarSpace members!
    See you there!
  • chiricanochiricano Member Posts: 1
    I got my Tribute on 2008/03/08. We had a record snowfall this year in Quebec city area, around 4.8 meters (15 feet) of snow.

I got around 14 MPG (U.S gallon) up to early May, 2008. The last tank I got 17 MPG (July 2008). Modifications done: I put 5W-20 mobil one syntetic oil and I just put last weekend a K % N air Filter and I got an "scan gauge II" recently as well.

Average around 15.5 MPG up to know with 80 % city and 20% highway driving.

Please note that temperature in the winter in Quebec city can go below minus 30 degrees Celcius January, February and March.

I love the car so far, but fuel consumption is overrated by Energy Canada (23MPG city/31 MPG highway) in Imperial galons, not U.S. gallons.

I hope the mileage improve with the K & N filter and changing my driving habits. .

The Mazda dealer told me around 5000 miles are required to break the engine.
    hi chiricano

we have Tribute 2.3 front drive auto 2006 with just over 50k miles now. For the past 6 months, I have getting a steady 29-30mpg (us), The key is careful use of the tachometer, keep your rpms as low as possible to get to your target speed. Don't be afraid to drive at 55mph even if the MAXimum speed limit is 65, No jack rabbit starts, ease off on the gas just before topping a hill, and use overdrive on level or near level grades. keep the tires properly inflated and the SUV well tuned.

I rarely top 2900 rpm.

I enjoy the car, and in the land of $4.25 us gas, the SUV goes a long way for a moderate amount of money.

good luck.
    bob
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,252
    you mileage does seem low.
    since you replaced the air filter, we can rule that out. how did the original filter look when you replaced it?
    i would check the tire pressures and bump them up a couple of pounds(or whatever) over the number on the door sticker. if the ride is too harsh for you, knock it down a bit.
    on a street with a slight slope(not a hill!), i would put the windows down and coast a bit in neutral. do you hear any noises that sound like something could be binding or dragging?
    i might take off the roof cross bars if you have them, but i don't think they make much difference in primarily city driving, and be careful you don't scratch the roof if you do.
    check the odometer over a long run 20-40 miles if you have a chance.
    none of these things will result in a big upswing in mileage, but they might help a bit.
    let us know how things go as time goes on.
    my wife has an '04 with part time 4x4, which has averaged i tick over 19 us mpg over 60k.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • rooski41rooski41 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2006 Tribute. 4cyl auto, fwd. I drive 85% freeway and back roads and use the cruse control at 30+ mph as much as possible. I can get a consistent 28-30 MPG and have repeated 32+MPG on 100% highway trips. I have 36,000 miles on it.
    great job rooskie41,

I havn't been able to break through 32mpg yet, may have to remove roof crossbeams, drive w/o spare tire, since I drive very carefully. The regular 30mpg has been very good overall when you consider the total cost of ownership for this tribute. Just oil changes & filters so far with 53k total miles. A great wagon with plenty of room to load, and drives well.
  • rooski41rooski41 Member Posts: 6
    I never thought about the cross beams or the spare.... Sounds like good idea's. I am about due for new tires though. I understand good year makes a tire that's advertised as quiet. That would be a change from the Conti's road humm.

Are there any other add on's that can increase the mileage? K&N filter..etc.
  • hipnetichipnetic Member Posts: 2
    I read through this entire thread and it definitely sounds like the 4 cylinder can provide significantly better gas mileage than the 6 cylinder (it looks like I'm reading up to an 8mpg improvement). This contradicts Ford's own literature which, I believe, indicates more of a 1-2mpg improvement. Are they purposely downplaying the advantage of the 4 cylinder (perhaps because they want gas-conscious people to spend more on the Hybrid model?).

We're moving back to CT (from PA) and will likely pick up a used ('05-ish) Escape. We would like the AWD model, just in case we need it for some snow storms, but haven't decided whether to go with the 4 cyl or 6 cyl. If there really is such a significant difference in gas mileage, I'm thinking that the 4 cyl would be the better choice. That said, I'm also a little concerned that the 4 cyl could feel underpowered, and there's a possibility that I might someday want to use it to pull a small sailboat, so I don't know if the 4 cyl would be capable of towing anything.

Advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    You are going to like the V6 a lot better, especially if you are towing anything. The 4cyl. up to and including the 2008 model is best suited for a front wheel drive model with a manual transmission. It sure doesn't have much go with an automatic and all wheel drive. For 2009 Ford has a more powerful and larger 2.5 litre 4 cyl.
  • hipnetichipnetic Member Posts: 2
    Bruce, thanks for your input. FWIW, I don't know that I'll ever be towing anything. It's a possibility, but who knows how things will turn out. I'd be curious to hear from some 4 cyl AWD owners to hear whether they think their Escape feels a bit underpowered or if they think it's perfectly fine.
  • newfordmannewfordman Member Posts: 1
    just bought 05 limited v6 was expecting 20 around town trip computer says 13.7 avg ford guy told me the computer is out of whack I bought the limited for the trip computer can anone verify I hope this thing gets better than this
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    Figure the mileage manually and compare it to the trip computer read out. That will tell you if the trip computer is correct or not. Mileage in the city depends on how heavy the traffic is and how many stops you make. Twenty seems on the high side and 13.5 seems a little bit low.
  • fjb37fjb37 Member Posts: 5
    Computer on my 05 V6 AWD reads low by about 5%. Mileage in and around Chicago area is about 15 MPG. On a recent highway trip I got 27.1 MPG driving at 60 MPH or less on flat ground without the A/C.

I am using 5-20 Mobil1 full synthetic in the engine and have about 50% Mobil1 synthetic tranny fluid in the automatic.

You might want to check the Nov. 08 issue of Consumer reports. They have a report on SUV and P/U tires. They also cover rolling resistance and its effect on MPG. Just my $0.02.

FredB
    how about posting the results?
  • bj02176bj02176 Member Posts: 115
    My long gone and forgotten 2005 v6 got around 16 to 17 highway and suburban combined, it was a fine vehicle though.

My not so long gone 2007 Sante Fe with the 2.7 got slightly less, same driving conditions.

My current 2008 CRV gets around 24 with similar driving. However it accelerates as well as both of them, all had and have auto trans.

However nothing beat getting bad mileage like the Jeep liberty that I use to have.
  • sven5sven5 Member Posts: 2
    We had a '05 Escape 4 cyl. manual AWD for about 50k miles. I was very satisfied with the power and especially mpg. I rarely got below 27 mpg with usually mostly road miles and with an interstate highway tank of gas at 68 mpg got 28-29 mpg. We didn't have any problems in the 50k miles, but the clutch was a little touchy and every so often it would stall at starting. I enjoyed driving the car and it clearly was useful as a utility vehicle and handled snow well with its AWD.
  • twoplankr22twoplankr22 Member Posts: 15
    a few people seem to be in my boat, but not many. 05 xlt, 34000 miles. new air filter, new and properly inflated tires, oil changed every 3-4k. I have been driving the thing like an old lady and am averaging 14mpg city dry streets. with the 2 tons of snow this week the 4x4 has been on alot, and now averaging 9 mpg. these numbers seem insanely low to me. any ideas?
  • pdmclaypdmclay Member Posts: 4
    I have been very happy with my 2008 Mazda Tribute when it comes to gas mileage. It is the smaller 2.3L 4 cylinder manual. I use full synthetic oil, platinum plugs, upgraded air filter, BP gas, and constant check on the tires. My drive is a 45 mile drive at 55 mph on all country roads one way in the relatively flat area of Eastern North Carolina. Now at 45,000 miles, my MPG is consistently 32-33 mpg, even with occasional AC use. Drive easy and drive long. Clay
  • bachmanbachman Member Posts: 31
    edited September 2010
    I have about 113,000 on it and as usual, my wife driving anything will do better as mpg. City is 19 with her and 17 to 18 mpg with me. We do very little highway miles but I can track it soon as we'll be doing about 2600 on the I-80 slab in mid October ... provided I have the trans rebuild done by then. I can re-post some hwy numbers but I'll be nudging the limits so to speak. Probably won't be too impressive but I'll guess at a best tank of 24 mpg on a flat spot going with the wind. :)

We live at 6800 feet in thinner air and it's hilly so I don't expect anything at or above average around town. I don't hyper mile but I'm thinking more along those lines and in general as per being a less conspicuois consumer.
    edited September 2010
    We have an '04 Escape. So pretty much the same thing. overall average 19.2.
    Did hit 24+ a few times (rated @ 23 HGY in 2004).
    I-80 is a long road. On the flats, could maybe hit 25, depending on load and weather conditions.
  • hackattack5hackattack5 Member Posts: 315
    edited April 2011
    I just checked my mileage from my first tank of gas on my 2011 Ford Escape XLT FWD. the average mpg was reading 28mpg on the readout most of the tank so I was thrilled because I was hoping to get at least 26mpg. When I filled it up and did the math it turns out that I got 29.4 mpg !! When I tell my friends and family they asked if I bought the Escape hybrid. I could not be happier with this SUV.
  • hackattack5hackattack5 Member Posts: 315
    Well the first tank was 85% highway driving. The 2nd tank was 75% city and my mileage shows. 25mpg. As long as you can keep these baby's in 6th gear you can get some amazing mileage. Even at 25mpg its still 25% better gas mileage than my Tacoma.
  • shadescapesshadescapes Member Posts: 21
    edited June 2012
    I have 2 Escapes- 08 4WD, V6, 4 speed auto- 09 4WD, V6, 6 speed auto

trip to and from the mountains the 09 beat the 08 by 2.8mpg
    interesting- so some checking showed the 09 had more HP/TQ

so I purchased the Ultra Gauge- 4 weeks now- at 60mph without cruise I regularly average 31.7mpg- in town driving for mileage I average 24.6mpg- I can get 35.8mpg at 57mph if there's no wind and only slight rises in the road-

The Ultra Gauge or the Scan Gauge 2 is your best bet to help you to understand where your engine runs best and you are getting the best mileage as you adapt your driving based on the reading

I can also tell you the mileage goes down quick if I drive over 65-
    I don't mind cruising along and all other vehicles scream past- I just smile

I took a few pictures of my dash/Ultra Gauge on a recent long trip- can post it if this is unbelievable

there are ways to drive your vehicle to beat the EPA estimates
    many do it quite regularly- without falling for the scam gas saving gimmics

I use Trop Artic 5W20 synthetic blend- I'd be very concerned with putting anything but MercronV in your auto transmission

there is a forum where MPG is the focus- I learned alot there

just recently found this forum and wanted to say hi- seems like a great place
  • bachmanbachman Member Posts: 31
    I'm pretty sure at some point, the aerodynamics of any vehicle reach a 'sweet spot' that is the ideal and speed alone bumped up or down will have a negative effect. Other than that, variables are almost too numberous to count. In city driving, a big imapct for favorable outcome is reading the flow or waves of traffic patterns, slight adjustments and hitting the green lights.
    well said-

a vacuum gauge is pretty good- "old school"

I had a 2007 Honda Civic- my sister had a Prius
    on a dare- I beat her mileage

not being in a hurry and knowing how to drive for ultimate mileage is key
    there used to be schools/classes that teach

we have 30+ mile winds out here- it wouldn't be fair to state mpg going with the wind
  • roller4roller4 Member Posts: 3
    Purchased my '09 Escape Limited AWD 4cyl/6spd Auto about 8 months ago. It has about 55,000 miles on it now. I've done about 6,500 miles since purchase. Just love it! 70% hwy. Fuel computer says 23.5 mpg. Jumps up to 26 mpg on long highway trips. Generally I cruise at 65 mph. This sounds about right to me.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    edited October 2012
    "Purchased my '09 Escape Limited AWD 4cyl/6spd Auto about 8 months ago. It has about 55,000 miles on it now. I've done about 6,500 miles since purchase. Just love it! 70% hwy. Fuel computer says 23.5 mpg. Jumps up to 26 mpg on long highway trips. Generally I cruise at 65 mph. This sounds about right to me. "

Not too shabby! I'm getting about 27 on my Hybrid 2008 AWD on the road, but that is at 80 MPH. I'd say your MPG is about right for that truck setup .. and yours cost considerably less than mine!
  • roller4roller4 Member Posts: 3
    As an update, took a trip over the last weekend. 2-1/4 hrs away and back the next day. 50/50 mix of 65 mph super highway and 55 mph secondary highway. Trip average was 28.5 mpg. Pretty happy with that as gas is $4.92 per US gallon for 87 octane in the Toronto area.

09 Limited 2.5
    "about 27 at 80" can't quit chuckling
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    edited October 2012
    ""about 27 at 80" can't quit chuckling "

Glad I could be of service. That was August of 2011 during a trip to New Mexico. Obviously, the 80 was only on the Interstate portions... sure is nice to have those higher speeds in NM and AZ.

I rarely get it that fast here on the LA freeways.

Actually, that is about what I've gotten on my last three cars. My 2003 CR-V had a similar engine, so that isn't surprising. But my 2006 Freestyle had a 3.0 V6, and it returned about the same (maybe a half MPG less).
    edited October 2012
    The '04 V6 4WD averages a little over 19 mpg, the '09 V6 AWD averages about 22, and the '13 2.0 I4 AWD my wife just brought home, not sure yet. :)
  • printerman1printerman1 Member Posts: 68
    AWD is where you can lose mileage. Depends on how you drive. The computer runs the car/truck. Any vehicle in the city, mileage stinks. Real world? lower than advertised, always will.
  • nortdnortd Member Posts: 13
    500 Miles and so far averaging 29.1 mpg local and 30.1 hwy. :)
    Houston, we have a problem. There is no such thing as a 2012 with Ecoboost.
  • vango357vango357 Member Posts: 5

2003 Mazda Tribute LX AWD, 120,000, 3.0 V6..... 20-23 highway. 13-14 city if I drive like my Grandmother