Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Malibu MPG-Real World Numbers

Comments

• paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    are we seeing a significant difference in MPG between the sedan and the Maxx here....it appears so....but hard to tell unless every one specifys if they have the sedan or the maxx here..instead of the malibu with the LT/LS package....still..cant beleive there is that much of a difference between the cars that would account for the difference in mileage...again..a Maxx LT here....24-25 city...and 28-30 highway....an 04 with 45k on it..Im seeing quotes of 33-36 MPG average here...and I have never gotten those numbers on my car since I have owned it...uuuummmmmm and using nothing but Shell and Chervon gas, Mobil 1 5w30 for oil changes...all top tier fuels....interesting
  • bhw77bhw77 Member Posts: 101
    04 Maxx LS - still 17.5 MPG in city (18MH average spreed)... :cry:
  • willscarywillscary Member Posts: 21
    The Maxx is less aerodynamic and, all things being equal (LS w/ V-6) will see about a 4 mpg decrease over the sedan simply because of its drag coefficient. Secondly, the maxx has bigger heavier tires (I believe). I specifically bought the LS sedan because of its 205/65/R15s. The LT sedan sports 215/65/R16s, as did the maxx in '04. This tire is wider (more contact area creating more friction) and taller, which adds up to more wieght to get rolling (and to stop). Ialways look for the smallest recommended tire for my car. Bigger and wider is cool and sporty, but mileage usually suffers. A bigger tire also means that the final gear ratio changes, many times putting more stress on the motor by getting in out of its most efficient RPM range.

Don't get me wrong, the Maxx is a great car. I am not knocking it. But when people stress mileage, they need to look at the big picture. How do bigger wheels and tires affect the car? How does my driving technique affect the mileage? How does the type of commute affect mileage (long trips w/ cruise or short stop and go trips)? How fast do I drive?
    not so sure the drag coefficients are that different between the two cars..they are identical in the front the B pillar foward.....only the tail is different..cant beleive that would account for up to 4 MPG total.....all others you mentioned I do agree with....
  • crosby1crosby1 Member Posts: 23
    While EPA numbers might be suspect, they do indicate that the Maxx will get less MPG than the sedan. I do not understand aerodynamics well but the Maxx may well have a poorer drag coefficient than the sedan. At highway speeds the difference between the sedan and the Maxx would be even greater.
    The Maxx is quite a bit heavier as well which undoubtedly have an impact, especially in stop and go driving around town.
    The sedan also comes with smaller wheels in the less expensive models.
    I don't know that the gearing is any different between the various models.
    "On the outside, the Malibu cleaves to the obligatory wedge profile, with gently raked front and rear windows and a slight slope to the hood. The overall shape gives it an admirable slipstream, with a coefficient of drag that rings in at 0.31 (for the sedan - the Maxx will have a CD of 0.37)." excerpt from an online review.

Just for an idea of how big of a deal this is...the new Accord is touted as being extremely aerodynamic for a family car. The last version Accord had a Cd of .33 while the new Accord has a Cd of .30. This translates into about 10% better mileage at 55 mph, and an even greater amount at higher speeds. So I am sure that the Maxx to Malibu difference will be greater. As another comparison, I know that the new Vette had a Cd of .28, and I believe the old Vette was either .30 or .31.

As far as gearing differences, I don't know if the tranny or differential are different between the sedan and Maxx, but the final drive can definitely be different due to different sized tires.
  • ronbo10ronbo10 Member Posts: 45
    Malibu's for '06 will be offered with 15 inch (LT0), 16 inch (LT1), 17 inch (LTZ) and 18 inch (SS). My guess is that the outside diameter of each of these isn't exactly equal across the range (though close, as they spec tires with increasingly lower aspect ratios as rim diameter increases), and they might be within a few cm. of each other. I imagine that Chevrolet would have a baseline calibration of the speedometer/odometer for a given model, and then make the decision whether to recalibrate them based on how far off the accuracy falls from this baseline. I believe the feds give auto manufacturers guidelines within which the accuracy of a speedometer or odometer must fall.

The question I ask myself is, as the outside diameter of a tire increases and the manufacturer were not to recalibrate sp./od., logic tells me that it would be manifested as an apparent decrease in gas mileage (because the wheels would travel a greater distance for each revolution of the wheel). However, if the driver were to measure the fuel used for a fixed known distance (your commute, for example), you would be able to calculate if the mileage really did fall off. Perhaps the true fuel mileage might even improve, as what you are doing when increasing the tire diameter is tantamount to lowering the final drive ratio (numerically lower).
    So, I wonder if you could increase your true gas mileage by increasing outside tire diameter, no matter what your trip computer might tell you.

BTW, the Maxx does have a numerically higher final drive ratio when compared with the sedan's, surely to account for both it's higher weight and poorer coefficient of drag. I've noted that the Maxx, while typically getting somewhat poorer mileage than the sedan, the difference seems to be hardly worth mentioning. I'd guess the difference would be more pronounced at higher cruise speeds, where the Maxx's higher CD would have a greater impact (drag being a function of the square of your speed through the air, and all that...).
  • e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    Yeah, what he said :)

ronbo10, you must be an engineer or something, right? :shades:
  • kurtamaxxguykurtamaxxguy Member Posts: 677
    My '04 Maxx didn't do well on mileage until after around 3-4000 miles of run-in. With almost 30K, it gets average of 25-26 mph for freeway/town mixture, and 30-32 mph on the freeway at crusiing speeds of 70 mph or so.

For one thing, the transmission appears to calibrate itself to the driver and itself, which helps improve mileage.

It also helps to run the tire pressure a little higher than recomended (especially in the front tires which are carrying most of the vehicle's weight) - I usually run 33 psi front/ 30-31 psi rear. Good note on the Yokahama tires (CU toprated one of these recently) - will check those out!
  • redmaxxredmaxx Member Posts: 627
    I drive the car very easy and use the cruise control 95% of my miles. I may shy away from the Comfortreds as I am reading quite a few stories of 5-7% mileage losses over OEM tires. I am now looking into the Tripletreds.

What did you eventually decide? I have the Comfortreads and have no loss of milage at all. They have a good ride, they handle well and are very quiet.
  • redmaxxredmaxx Member Posts: 627
    About 24MPG mixed city and highway (about 60-70% highway) with Goodyear ComforTread at 30/30 psi. I use the cruise control every chance I get. I try to cruise at 70-75 on the highway, but sometimes hit 80 (or even 85 but not so often). I can really make my mileage go down (to about 22MPG) if I don't watch the RPMs, make quick passes and go 75-80 regularly.

Note: These numbers are from my DIC, which I've found to be usually right on or within 1MPG high. Average speed as indicated by my DIC when I get 24MPG is around 35MPH and is 38-40MPH when I get 22MPG.
  • icedog97icedog97 Member Posts: 141
    Our 04 Maxx LS has been pretty good with mileage. We average about 20.5 in what is considered by definition (lots of short trips with frequent stops), city driving. As a comparison, we previously owned an Isuzu Axiom (funky looking truck/suv) that had a 3.5 litre 6 (250 hp). The Axiom averaged 12.5 over the same driving conditions.

We drove from Pgh to Hiton Head in the summer and averaged 31 on the way down and 29 on the way back (drove about 5-10 mph faster comming home).
    I put Tripletreds on the car 6 days ago. Immediately my mileage dropped, but a lot of that had to do with a tank of gas that was about 30% city driving instead of the normal 3-5%. I have noticed that on downhill slopes where I used to gian speed with the OEM tires, I now hold a steady speed. I will not comment fully on these tires and their rolling resistance for several months. We are coming into winter here in WI and my 'bu seems to get better mileage in warmer weather. Also, driving changes at this time of the year as cruise control usage is less due to the amount of deer, raccoons, turkeys and other critters that bless us during the deer rut (a lot of hunters chasing animals out of the woods, and the deer, well...they just get stupid during the rut!)

The only real comment I have about the tripletreds are their grip. Holy cow do they hold the road! I have always had an all-season tire. The OEM Bridgestone 450s that I replaced were not a bad tire as far as grip is concerned, but they became a bit noisy and rough at about 28k miles. There tread design was a bit blocky, which to me means "noise". The Tripletreds are quite a bit quieter than the OEMs, but they are a bit stiff. On smooth roads they are perfect. On rougher roads, they are quiet but not as soft as I would have liked. The flip side is the handling. These tires handle awsome! Wet or dry, these things corner like a dream. The car is much more responsive. I will see snow in the next few weeks, and by January can comment on thier snow capabilities.

Ask me in spring about mileage gains or losses.
  • boogie_downboogie_down Member Posts: 1
    My parents bought a 2000 LS with 36,000 miles back in September of 2003. We have now had the car for over two years, it now has just over 74,000 miles and it gets lousy mileage. It is 21 miles to the town where me and my sister go to school and my mom works. Total round trip daily, including about 5 miles of crosstown driving to Wal-Mart, etc. is almost 50 miles. It is 85% highway and 15% city driving. We go in 6 days a week, Monday-Friday for school/work, Sunday for church and sometimes Saturday too if me or my little sister have some activity or another. We practically live in that car. The car gets 22-25 mpg consistently. :mad: We usually fill up at home (we live on a farm so we have our own 500 gallon gas tank) with the mid-grade we get from our local Co-Op, which is as good or better quality gas than some of the gas station premiums. We've tried almost everything, and the car still averages 23 mpg. Sometimes it dips down as low as 20 mpg. :mad: The only time it has got better than 26 MPG was when my mom was taking classes down in Limon and making 180 mile round trips every other weekend for about 9 months. On those it got almost 28 MPG. It liked those long trips, it seems. It is extremely frustrating as that while we were waiting for this car to come in, the dealer let us drive a 2002 silver base model. We took it on a 400 mile roadtrip and it got 32 mpg, and the rest of the time it got 28-30 mpg consistently. :)
    Where we drive so much we can't even drive the 2000 for a full school week without having to refill it (as it only has about a 280 mile range, which is lame for a car of it's size; this is due to GM advertising it's gas tank as being 3 gallons bigger than it actually is.) It is extremely frustating :mad: WE have friends that have a 1997 Buick LeSabre and they get 27 mpg reguarly, and up to 30 on roadtrips. How could GM produce a full size sedan 3 years older that gets better mileage than a 3 years newer midsize sedan? A mechanic at the dealer we got the car from said GM changed something on the 2001 models so they got better MPG. Has anyone else had this type of consistenly low MPG on a pre-2001 Malibu? If so, post because I would like to know about it. Because I have an inkling that if other people HAVEN'T been getting this low mileage like our 2000 LS has, we might have a lemon on our hands. :lemon: Other than the MPG, everything else about the car(aside from interior plastics quality)has been great thus far. Hopefully typical GM reliability issues will not begin to manifest themselves as the miles continue to accumlate (this car will probably be pushing 90,000 miles by May of 2006 with the amount of driving we do.)
  • frogger123frogger123 Member Posts: 20
    I am considering buying a used Malibu Sedan with the 4cyl ecotech engine. What is real world mileage? Seems to me that most posts here are V6 mileage. Am I correct? Does the V6 get better mileage or the 4? What is the reliability of the 4cyl engine?
  • gdubya2gdubya2 Member Posts: 32
    I recently leased a new 2006 LS sedan with the 2.2L 4 cylinder. Last weekend I had an opportunity to take it out for a lengthy road trip. Mind you that it only had about 500 miles on the odometer when I started so it is really not broken in yet. Topped off the tank and bumped the tire pressure up to 32 PSI cold. Just my wife and I were in the car plus some light luggage. Left from my home in mid Michigan Friday evening into a slight headwind, cold temps and light snow. I drove a total of 260 miles to Chicago then parked the car for the weekend. Before returning I topped off the tank again (gasoline there contains 10 percent ethanol). Headed home Monday afternoon with a fairly stiff tailwind most of the way. Filled up again when I got home. Each way I drove 95 percent expressway, keeping my speed at 70 mph or under and used the cruise control as much as possible. Total miles driven = 508, total fuel used = 15.2 gallons, average MPG = 33.4.
    On the trip west I averaged 32.4 mpg and on the trip east, with the wind, I averaged 34.4. I am more than satisfied with these numbers and expect that they will improve somewhat in warmer weather and after the engine is broken in. I can offer no advice on the reliability of the 2.2L. I can tell you that it is somewhat lacking for passing power at highway speeds but most of my driving is on the interstates so that is not critical to me. I leased the car primarily because of it's fuel mileage rating plus it's value for the dollar and am not disappointed with the results so far.
    Here's an update to my post above (#67). On 3/7/06 I filled up for a trip to my son's home in Dearborn. I had driven 225 miles since the last fill up, mostly city driving with some short highway commute from my home to the city. Some idleing in the mall parking lots with the engine running. But mostly typical city driving. It took 7.9 gallons to fill up = 28.48 MPG. I then made the round trip to Dearborn, which was 90 percent freeway driving at about 70 MPH with cruise control as much as possible. I filled up again upon arriving back home. This trip was 278 miles and it took 7.8 gallons to fill up = 35.64 MPG for the trip. My MPG average since I got the car is now 31.67 MPG and it has 1,686 miles on the odometer.
  • absolut_chaosabsolut_chaos Member Posts: 1
    I don't know if the features on your car are making much of a difference... I've got a four-door, no CD or cassette, no power locks or windows, new battery. :cry: I also carry very little extra weight in the car, trunk is empty, maybe a textbook or sweatshirt, a car repair kit, but that's about it. Oh yeah - no cruise.

My 2000 Malibu gets about 35-37 MPG highway on regular unleaded. (Calculated by 65 mile one way trip using an eyeballed 1/8 gas tank, tank capacity given as 14.1 US gal in the owners manual.) :blush:

I haven't calculated out her city MPG, but I do 90% long trips and maybe 10% short.
  • mdennishmdennish Member Posts: 16
    got 30 mpg at 85 mph from indio,ca. to phx,az with approx.300 pds of cargo,80% of drive is level rds, i can get 32mpg at 75mph on same trip,but then i get passed by semi trucks on a regular basis!
  • thobbshobbsthobbshobbs Member Posts: 1
    dear gdubya,would like to find out if your maxx is a 4 or 6cyl.engine. you have the best mileage in the forum pages. are you a light foot or lead foot or in between. thank you for whatever info. you can provide
  • kmaurerkmaurer Member Posts: 48
    The Maxx is only offered in 6 cylinder. I've been getting between 32-34 MPG on my 04 LS Sedan, 32,000 miles.
    that is correct..the Maxx comes in a 3.5 (201 HP) or 3.9L (240HP) V-6....the sedan however comes in a 144HP 4 cyl, or the same engines above..my 04 Maxx LT...averages 27-28 combined city driving in northen VA....usually getting about 400 miles to each tank.....and have averaged 30-32 on highway trips...
  • jimlockeyjimlockey Member Posts: 265
    This is one of the problems we face today. Some people can't stand being passed even though they may be driving at 80 MPH. No one is going to get good mileage at that speed. We just keep burning up the fuel and the fuel prices keep getting higher and higher.

This summer we will probably have $3.00 plus fuel. Both gas and diesel. This is not going to get any better until we cut down on the use of fuel.

Add a good diesel to these cars and our fuel use would be much less. We wouldn't be able to win many 0 to 60 contest, but our billfold would be happier.
    My Malibu is a 20O6 LS four door sedan with the 4 cylinder engine. I wouldn't consider myself a lead foot, I just try to "go with the flow". I have found the four to be more than adequate for my driving needs. I just keep it in the back of my mind that I don't have a ton of horses under the hood and drive accordingly. I have found that my MPG will vary a bit depending on whether I keep it at 70 or a little under on the freeway or drive 75+. Head winds and tail winds make a difference too. I have just over 2,800 miles on the odometer now and my average for these miles is 30 MPG with a low of 28.5 and a high of 35.6. I would guess that about 75 per cent of these miles have been highway driving. Overall, I am more than happy with this car!
    the speed limit in az is 75 mph on the interstates, but if you stay under 85 mph you areok, but the big problem is the semis that will tailgate you because you are going the speed limit!
  • clarencehollowclarencehollow Member Posts: 60
    I love my 2005 Malibu I bought Nov 2004 ... and on a recent trip cruising at approx 65-70 MPH with stops in some towns a few times I got 36 mpg. In fact, my Malibu has at time gotten 38 mpg for long intervals .... and I noticed on the highway, it now really KICKS into passing gear. I put a new set of Bridgestone Invicta L400's ... the best rain tire I ever had, and very quiet.
  • bryan200kbryan200k Member Posts: 64
    I have a 2000 Malibu Std (loaded up like a LS), with the 3.1 V6 and 151,000 miles. I drive 100 miles roundtrip each day for my commute. One fourth of those 100 miles are city, the remainder in heavy traffic highway driving. I have been driving between 70 and 75 with the cruise on, with occasional accelerations to pass or play 'dodge-em' with the other traffic. I have been averaging 28.5 at those speeds. In recent weeks with the gas prices up, I've been allowing more time and taken my speed down about 5 MPH, and have increased my average MPG to 30.5. I also mix in about 25 miles of city driving on that same tank of gas, for the usual hop to the store, bank, gym, etc... I always use regular unleaded, and I almost always have the AC on.

On a trip from Central Pennsylvania to Chicago, I got 35.9 on the trip out and 34.5 on the trip back, with cruise on, and taking it steady and easy, and with my trunk loaded up.

Just my opinion, but I think maybe something is not adjusted right with your car's fuel system..??? That mileage sounds low for a Malibu of that year.
  • scinazscinaz Member Posts: 2
    I've been keeping a log on fuel, gas mileage and the meter readings for the last year (since 6/18/05) and the last 12,331 miles with a total of 50 fill ups of regular UL gasoline. The vehicle currently has 28,500 miles on the odometer. All the results where calculated unless indicated as coming from the meter. The meter average speed and mpg was reset after every full up.

My overall average fuel economy is 26.915 mpg calculated. The meter's average is 28.384 but the meter is usually more optimistic than actual calculated. The best fuel economy was 38.17 mpg and the worst was 22.564 mpg. On a 3000 mile mostly highway and freeway trip last summer I averaged 34.97 mpg at an average highway speed from the meter of 67.556 mph.

My normal in city commuting with a combination of freeway and city streets in about a 50/50 mix yielded an average fuel economy of 25.147 mpg at an average speed of 25.76 mph.

Personally I'm quite happy with the Malibu, the level of performance of the 201HP V6 and the comfort when taking long trips. It has delivered better than the EPA fuel economy and is the first vehicle I've owned that I've been able to regularly exceed the EPA's average highway mileage.

I have used Mobil 1 in the vehicle ever since the first oil change, it was purchased new in April of 2004. Oil is changed when the meter reading gets around 10% oil life left. The air filter is changed every 10K miles. I live in Phoenix AZ where the AC is used a lot more than it would be in a more moderate climate.
  • e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    Nice update :)

Just keep in mind that the GM Oil Life System is algorithm based and calibrated for "normal" oil. So it isn't allowing you any extra miles for using a synthetic.
  • hgallardohgallardo Member Posts: 3
    did u have any problems changing the oil filter on your 2005 4cyl malibu??
    Just turned over 4,000 miles on my 2006 Malibu LS sedan with the 4 cylinder engine. Total average for 4,060 miles is 29.1 MPG, with a low of 24.4 MPG on one fill up (city driving) and a high of 37.1 MPG on another (highway driving). This average was figured using miles divided by actual fuel purchased - not the DIC computer. No problems what so ever with the car. Very satisfied! :)
  • jackd928jackd928 Member Posts: 3
    With cruise on, at 70 mph, and using AC,on Texas Interstates, I get 36 mpg on my 06 V6. Calculations made from onboard computer minus 1.5% error. Computer gives inflated numbers.
    i am averageing 26.5 mpg in mixed driving and i get 30 mpg at 80mph with the a/c on full blast, i am very pleased with numbers.
    Just returned home from northern Michigan. Filled up just before getting on the freeway. Drove at 70 mph using the cruise control. Some slower speeds through construction areas. Kept the A/C off. Mostly level driving with some rolling hills. Filled up again near my home. 162.1 miles driven, 4.04 gallons to fill up = 40.12 MPG for the trip. This is a 2006 LS sedan with the 4 cyl. and 5,702 miles one the ododmeter. My average for the 5,700 miles is about 31.6 MPG combined city/highway driving. :)
  • malexbumalexbu Member Posts: 169
    gdubya2,

Your number (40.12 mpg) is very heart-warming for a Malibu owner, but
    I am afraid it is an aberration and can't be taken as a serious data
    point. It is well above of what I remember other people have been
    reporting, including your own post #87.

Consider this:

| Just returned home from northern Michigan. Filled up just before
    | getting on the freeway. Mostly level driving with some rolling
    | hills.

1. Since you didn't make a round trip, you can't be sure that your
    trip was not "net-downhill". It might have seemed "mostly level
    driving" to you, but in fact the difference in the start and finish
    altitudes might have helped you to get the high mileage you are
    reporting in this post.

| Filled up again near my home. 162.1 miles driven, 4.04 gallons to
    | fill up = 40.12 MPG for the trip.

2. Your fuel purchase might have been too small to expect an accurate
    MPG computation.

At the first and second gas stations, the fuel valves might have
    shut off at slightly different levels of gas in your tank, either
    due to to a sensor operation, or to the "attendant" (e.g. you)
    holding the handle at slightly different angles.

How much of an inaccuracy should we expect here? I'd say, 0.25
    gallons would not be too much.

Let's do the math:

162.1 / 4.04 => 40.12 (reported by you)
    162.1 / (4.04 + 0.25) => 37.78 (much more realistic -- and surely great).
    162.1/ (4.04 + 0.5) => 35.70 (even more realistic -- and still great).

| This is a 2006 LS sedan with the 4 cyl. and 5,702 miles one the
    | ododmeter. My average for the 5,700 miles is about 31.6 MPG combined
    | city/highway driving.

About 31.6 MPG I am not surprised :-)

I love watching the economy display going to 42 MPG and higher on a
    short (say, 10-mile) trip, soon after a fill-up -- only I know this is
    not a real data :-)...

I just returned from a five-day round-trip. Here is what I've got:

* Distance: 2741 miles
    * Avg. speed: 59 mph
    * Fuel used: 75.47 gallons
    * Fuel economy computer reading: 38.6 mpg
    * Fuel economy real: 36.32 mpg

I am not unhappy with 36.32 mpg for that trip -- not at all!

Was going through the terrible (North-) Eastern rains, pouring over
    the roads from MA to VA this past week. Was climbing the great Smoky
    Mountains in NC and TN -- mostly in the left-most driving lane, both
    in the mountains and on the roads with the posted speed limit of 70
    mph :-)

Never felt a lack of power, always was curious as to what my real MPG
    was going to be in the end (the economy display was mostly fluctuating
    between 37.3 and 38.6).

36.32 -- a mile better than the advertised economy range.

I am **very** happy with the car.

2005 Malibu Base Sedan.
  • mr_botsmr_bots Member Posts: 236
    I don't know if 40mpg is that unrealistic for the 4-banger Malibu. I hit just under 40mpg (39.7) with my 04 Malibu LS V6 going 75mph on Saturday on level highway with a slight wind. I get 38 fairly regularly, so 40 isn't too far off for a smaller engine.
    3.5l V-6 in my 04 Maxx on a good day will get 30-31...most days....26
  • gonogogonogo Member Posts: 879
    You won't even see the mileage of the sedan V6, the Maxx is lower geared for pulling power.
    First, let me say that I was not trying to boast about my fuel economy in my earlier post, I was just reporting on the results I obtained under the conditions stated. But here is some additional info in response to your post:

1. I checked the elevations for both the start and end points of my trip. I actually climbed 246 ft. in elevation to reach my destination. If you have ever been to Michigan you know that with the exception of the Porcupine Mountains in the western end of the Upper Peninsula, we have very little terrain that could even be described as "hilly". The rolling areas I referred to were located along the Lake Michigan shoreline south of Ludington MI. Most of my trip was on relatively flat terrain.

2. I agree with your point that the short length of this trip could compound any error in determining actual MPG. However, I did attempt to make fuel use as accurate as possible by "topping off" each time by slowing adding fuel until the tank would take no more. I may be off a little here but I don't believe by more than the quarter of a gallon you mention.

3. As far as my 40 MPG being an aberration, I'm not so sure. Remember, this trip was made during dry, warm (upper 70's) conditions on a weekday with very little traffic to contend with. I was alone in the car and did not use the A/C. I did use cruise control set at 70 mph for most of the trip, except when slowing for construction areas with posted speeds of 60 mph or 45 mph. I filled up just before entering the highway and just after exiting it.
    In my previous post #87 I mentioned getting 37.09 MPG. This was done on the exact same route only going north instead of south and the car only had 3,797 miles on it at that time. The trip was in mid May with much colder temps.
    In your post you mention that you came within 3.68 MPG of getting 40 MPG yourself in a year older car on a much longer trip that entailed mountain driving and heavy rain. You didn't mention if you used your A/C during any of your trip. Were you making on conscious effort to stretch your fuel?
    Anyway, I put the info up for what it's worth. Maybe others out there can confirm that the Malibu 4 cylinder sedan will do 40 MPG under the right conditions?
    Gdubya2,

First, thank you for your detailed response -- it does clarify some
    things.

,--- You said
    |
    | First, let me say that I was not trying to boast about my fuel
    | economy in my earlier post, I was just reporting on the results I
    | obtained under the conditions stated. But here is some additional
    | info in response to your post:

In post #93, I, of course, didn't mean to say that you were trying to
    boast. You definitely provided interesting and detailed information
    -- but the number seemed too good not to be scrutinized.

| But here is some additional info in response to your post:

| 1. I checked the elevations for both the start and end points of my
    | trip. I actually climbed 246 ft. Most of my trip was on relatively
    | flat terrain.

You just eliminated one suspicion I had. Very impressive!

| I agree with your point that the short length of this trip could
    | compound any error in determining actual MPG. However, I did attempt
    | to make fuel use as accurate as possible by "topping off" each time
    | by slowing adding fuel until the tank would take no more. I may be
    | off a little here but I don't believe by more than the quarter of a
    | gallon you mention.

So, let's say that you MPG was not less than

| 162.1 / (4.04 + 0.25) => 37.78 (much more realistic -- and surely great).

-- which seems great to me, too.

| 3. As far as my 40 MPG being an aberration, I'm not so
    | sure. Remember, this trip was made during dry, warm (upper 70's)
    | conditions on a weekday with very little traffic to contend with. I
    | was alone in the car and did not use the A/C. I did use cruise
    | control set at 70 mph for most of the trip, except when slowing for
    | construction areas with posted speeds of 60 mph or 45 mph. I filled
    | up just before entering the highway and just after exiting it.

With this information in mind, 40 mpg doesn't seem like a stretch to
    me now -- it doesn't go against my own data.

| In my previous post #87 I mentioned getting 37.09 MPG. This was done
    | on the exact same route only going north instead of south and the
    | car only had 3,797 miles on it at that time. The trip was in mid May
    | with much colder temps.

Yeah, I have noticed the dramatic difference the temperature makes to
    the MPG. The data you have reported looks very coherent now.

Mind you, I am a **huge** Malibu fan -- so huge that I have two of
    them -- almost complete twins (and I am the only one who drives them
    both for now). Your data makes me love the car(s) even more :-)

| In your post you mention that you came within 3.68 MPG of getting 40
    | MPG yourself in a year older car

First, the car that made that trip from MA to the South and West and
    then back is not quite a year old -- it was produced in November 2004
    but then spent a year on some dealers' lots. I purchased it in
    January 2006.

I started the trip with 5458 miles on the odometer (counting from the
    gas station, right before the trip) -- and ended it with 8199 miles
    (again, counting it on the same gas station, visited shortly after the
    trip).

Three days before the trip, I dumped the OEM oil and replaced it with
    Mobil-1 synthetic (I change oil and rotate tires myself).

The trip was by far not under the optimal conditions. Consider this:
    my average speed for the trip was 59 mph. This is after going mostly
    over the roads with 65 and 70 mph posted speed limits (and not
    dragging feet there).

That is:

a. I did have some city driving during the trip (my points of
    interest were obviously off the highways.)

b. I did go through some stop-and-go maneuvers on the major
    highways. In this regard, going from DE and MD to Washington DC
    was the hardest -- we had to creep for miles to cross bridges
    and toll plazas... A sad experience.

Both "a" and "b" accrued much smaller miles compared to the rest --
    the normal highway driving, but obviously they took my number somewhat
    down. I want to say, by 0.5 mpg -- but I don't know, of course.

| on a much longer trip that entailed mountain driving and heavy rain.

These two were likely significant factors working against me.

Roughly a third of the trip was under a scary blinding rain -- with
    the car's AC working periodically to defog the windows.

Mountain driving was such that the car's MPG display (showing the
    cumulative data for the trip) went from 38.3 to 36.8 -- and this after
    making one third of the (long) trip. The mountains certainly didn't
    help...

| You didn't mention if you used your A/C during any of your trip.

Moderately -- perhaps running it over 1/3 of the miles, too.

| Were you making on conscious effort to stretch your fuel?

No -- my absolute priorities were getting to the four pre-set
    destination points on time.

Also, I should mention that I had a passenger in the car, plus a
    meaningful load to stay mostly autonomous for five days -- food,
    water, clothing -- perhaps an equivalent of a slim second passenger.

| Anyway, I put the info up for what it's worth.

Me, too :-)

| Maybe others out there can confirm that the Malibu 4 cylinder sedan
    | will do 40 MPG under the right conditions?

Thinking about what your reported and my own data, I want to hope that
    under the right conditions 40 mpg is possible -- and I mean a long
    trip, taking at least 8 gallons of fuel -- without net-descending, of
    course.

But I've never seen an evidence of such an experience -- that is,
    until reading your last post. Would be lovely to hear from somebody
    else that 40 mpg has been achieved -- on a long "level" trip.

When I was going on my long trip, I was hoping to get 38-39 mpg in the
    end, based on my past experience.

Got 36.32 mpg, as you know -- great in itself, and even better when
    taking the circumstances into account.

BTW, my MPG experience is very consistent between my two Malibu's.
    The first one was bought in May 2005 and, as of last fill-up, has
    11562 miles on the odometer. On both cars, MPG falls during winter
    months, and during warm months (April-November?) the city MPG can be
    estimated as falling in the range of 24-26 mpg, while on a level
    highway, under good circumstances, I could hope to get around 36-38
    mpg -- in line with the results of my long trip.

Hope to get 40 mpg, one day, though :-).

All in all -- Malibu is a perfect car for me, and the MPG is just one
    of the things I love. Thank you Chevy and e2helper, if you read this!
    Read your post with interest. Only other thing I can add is that I keep my tires inflated to 32 psi cold. This might make a slight difference too.
    Coincidently, I just changed out the OEM oil today with Mobil One. Car has 6210 miles on the odometer and the DIC was showing 22% oil life left. Didn't want to push it any further on the original oil though.
    I will be making this trip to and from northern Michigan often as I have a summer place "up north" in Manistee. Will see if I can duplicate the 40 MPG again.
    ,-- You (gdubya2)
    |
    | Only other thing I can add is that I keep my tires inflated to 32
    | psi cold. This might make a slight difference too.

I keep mine at 32 psi cold -- checked right before *that* trip, too
    :-)

| Coincidently, I just changed out the OEM oil today with Mobil
    | One. Car has 6210 miles on the odometer and the DIC was showing 22%
    | oil life left.

Which comes to the 7961 miles (6210 / .78) OCI, per your computer.

I do this computation after every gas fill-up and (just checked it)
    normally have an estimate of full oil life to be somewhat lower than
    your number. It may fluctuate from 6500 to 8000+, but, I'd say, 7500
    is my idea of what the average result would be. Your reading, if
    consistent, probably indicates that you are driving gentler than I --
    and/or under better conditions.

FYI, after my long trip (with the oil changed on the eve of it), the
    oil data was:

* Run on this oil: 2785 m
    * Oil life left (as per DIC): 64%
    --> Estimated oil life (between the changes): 7736 miles.

| I will be making this trip to and from northern Michigan often as I
    | have a summer place "up north" in Manistee. Will see if I can
    | duplicate the 40 MPG again.

I will be rooting for you and expect the results eagerly. Good luck!
  • maybenowmaybenow Member Posts: 1
    I got my 2001 malibu V6( basic type but almost full loaded) last year. I live in LA. These days I caculated the MPG and found that the combined is about 24 with 68% high way ( half of it has terrible traffic, Mph is only 20. another half mph is about 56-60) and 32% local.
    Almost AC on all the way.

I must say based on the standard figures given by Chevy(20 local 29 high way), the result is reasonable. But I have seen so many of you have a terrific mpg which my result is only a mediocre. :blush:
    Most of the results quoted are for the new Malibu, which were rated 24-35 MPG for the 4-cylinder engine and ??-32 MPG for the 6-cyl one. "Were" -- that is, before model year 2006 when Chevy adjusted them down (to max 32 MPG, if I remember correctly).

This is just a very different car than the 2001 Malibu.
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    I think the torque peak of the new engine is higher RPM than the old one...what I could find suggests the LX9, older engine has 220 lb-ft at 3200 rpm, while new LZ4 has 220 lb-ft but at 4000 rpm.

Is that true?
  • clarencehollowclarencehollow Member Posts: 60
    :) My 2005 Chevy Malibu, puchased Nov. 2004 is the new styled version with the 4 cylinder, and I have owned it since new and it now has 43,000 miles. Most delighted, I just finished a trip from Gulf Shores Alabama to Buffalo and back - I logged 2,600 miles. From Start to stop, including all the hills, traffic jams, city driving, I posted an over-all 33.7 MPG average. However I got 39.9 the last leg of my trip where I was doing 72MPG, and up and down hills for a point. I have seen my car get over 40 MPG before, but I am making this post because I know many people just can't beleive this car get's this mileage, but for me and the other owners, it's not fantasy, rather reality. Why this car isn't listed in the Top Fuel Economy Sedans is beyond me. I now have ZERO respect for Consumer Reports who hasn't given this car much praise, but I have owned Toyota's and Honda's and my 4 cylinder acts like a 6 cylinder, and divvies up some impressive numbers for it's owner.
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    I actually subscribed to the extensive buying guide on Consumer Reports, and they did praise the 4 cylinder Malibu (new version) for good handling, slightly better than the 6 cylinder (less weight in front). Admittedly they then opined that you might as well get the 6 since the gas mileage was so close. What they didn't point out is that the HIGHWAY mileage on the 4 cylinder is much better than the 6 - but if you mix in an average amount of city driving, the difference narrows.

I have a Cobalt with the same 4 cylinder, but a stick shift, and get 35 mpg on my daily freeway commute and up to 37 mpg on road trips. I'd love to have a 4 cylinder Malibu for the extra space and the automatic!
  • beedublubeedublu Member Posts: 236
    My 04 Maxx LS with 31000 miles on the odometer still gets a combined 60/40% city highway figure of 26 MPG. A recent trip on the NY Thruway gave 32 MPG and my all time record (last summer) on I-90 and I-71 in Ohio -- temps in the 80s, AC on and cruise set at 65 mph -- was 34.5 MPG. Not bad at all, I'd say!
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    That's less than a mpg more than I'm averaging. No complaints what so ever on this car. I'm happier with the additional gas mileage the electric steering gives me than I am unhappy with the slight loss of road feel-- I got used to it within a couple of thousand miles.
    ,-- clarencehollow --
    |
    | I just finished a trip from Gulf Shores Alabama to Buffalo and back
    | - I logged 2,600 miles. From Start to stop ... I posted an over-all
    | 33.7 MPG average. However I got 39.9 the last leg of my trip where I
    | was doing 72MPG, and up and down hills for a point.

But can you tell that you were not going net-down-hill on this last
    leg?

| I have seen my car get over 40 MPG before, but I am making this post
    | because I know many people just can't beleive this car get's this
    | mileage, but for me and the other owners, it's not fantasy, rather
    | reality.

I love my two Malibus (both base 2005 sedans) -- love them more with
    every day I drive them (well, one at a time :-) -- and am glad to hear
    other people's happy stories about the car, but I haven't seen the
    evidence that this car can make anywhere close to 40 mpg on a "closed
    loop" trip.

See my posts starting from #93 and notice #99 by gdubya2 -- I am still
    waiting to see anybody to report a long (more than 8 gallons of fuel
    spent) round trip with the result exceeding 37 mpg.

My own best result (as stated in #93) was 36.32 mpg on a 2741 miles
    round trip.

| Why this car isn't listed in the Top Fuel Economy Sedans is beyond
    | me. I now have ZERO respect for Consumer Reports who hasn't given
    | this car much praise,

How could CR have adequate knowledge about essentially every car on
    the market? It takes at least weeks of operating to get an idea of a
    new car's behavior and peculiarities. Where would CR get time and
    money to do this research?.. Their reports are a joke, often carried
    over from a year to a year.

E.g., in the 2005 and 2006 (if memory serves) April editions, CR
    claimed that Malibu Maxx was more reliable than the sedan.

Where did they get it? I've been watching the Malibu forums on
    Edmunds.com from the early 2005 and am under a firm impression that
    the number of problems with Maxx reported in these forums is by orders
    of magnitude higher than the ones for the *new* sedan.

Was CR comparing the reliability of Maxx to the reliability of the
    *old* (Classic) Malibu, maybe?

Beats me how people can still take CR seriously, when better sources
    (e.g. Edmunds.com) are available.

| but I have owned Toyota's and Honda's and my 4 cylinder acts like a
    | 6 cylinder, and divvies up some impressive numbers for it's owner

Can't compare Bu 4 to Bu 6, but I drove on a 6-cylinder 3.8L engine
    for 6 years prior to Malibu and don't have a bit of regret that both
    my Bu's are Ecotec 2.2L-driven. Nice torque, among other things!

,-- micweb --
    |
    | I have a Cobalt with the same 4 cylinder, but a stick shift, and get
    | 35 mpg on my daily freeway commute and up to 37 mpg on road trips.

These numbers sound just right -- higher than Malibu's numbers I can
    trust, as they should be.