Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Malibu MPG-Real World Numbers

Comments

• javon7065javon7065 Member Posts: 15
    I really like my 2005 LS. Nicest car I have ever owned. however, the one thing I do not like is the gas mileage. the computer info display says that I am getting 19.8 or 20.8 MPG. And it seems about right. I got this car with 19k on it in Jan 2007 it now has 28k on it. I just do some local driving. don;t use it for work. just for errands here and there. From all of the reading I am doing, MPG is the one thing that everyone loves about this car. could it be the fuel filter? the tires are inflated properly. I changed the air cleaner about a year ago so I know that is due.

just wondering what the deal could be before I ask this loaded question to a mechanic and they start seeing $$ signs and suggest a tune up

thanks for any input

joe
  • malexbumalexbu Member Posts: 169
    Try the following:

1. Find the true MPG over a period of time (miles passed divided by
    the fuel purchased), writing down and resetting the DIC reading
    (plus compare the distances with the odometer readings.)

(I do the recording at every fillup, then compare the real MPG
    with the one DIC shows.)

2. Post the data on your average speed between the fill-ups. While you
    are not using the car for work, you may be stop-going excessively
    -- the average speed is some indication of your driving patterns.

3. If you haven't done so recently, dump a bottle of fuel cleaner into
    your tank during a fillup.

You mentioned replacing the air filter: did it have any impact on the
    MPG? Is it a good filter? Was everything clean and clear in the area
    it covers?

How about your oil? Changed well and often?

My two 2005s (more economical than your LS, obviously), have roughly
    this regular pattern, usually (from the two last readings on one of
    them):

tank-mpg 24.94 computer 26.1 speed 24
    tank-mpg 26.93 computer 28.0 speed 25
    Did you record the average speeds from the DIC? Are your numbers from the DIC or calculated from your fillups?
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    based opn yuor statement that you just use the car for errands, here and there..what distance do you drive...16 months ownership with only 9K driven tells me you dont average very long trips...short trips, city traffic, stop and go will generate the worst MPG. I would simply suggest a good fuel injector cleaner, a new air filter, oil change and hand calculate your mileage....the DIC can be up to 2 MPG off in its calculation.....but I would suggest you probably will not see better than 22-23 MPG based on you short trips.......

no need for a tune up.....the first isnt due to 100K as I recall, but consult the owners manual...
    Thanks for the recommendations. I'll admit that I have not yet done the manual MPG calculation. I just read in the manual that you can reset the DIC MPG info, so I just did that. This really was not an issue until gas hit $4 a gallon. since I get gas kind of infrequently, it seemed like gas was about .15 higher from the last fill up each time. so like most peopal now, I am looking into how to get better MPGs. I know that the stop and go driving I do is the worst but I just thought something was up since it was reporting MPG in the teens.
    Oil changes are regular, always at the three month mark versus the 3k mark due to the limited use. I'll replace the air cleaner again. wasn't concerned about MPG when I changed it last year.

what type of injector cleaner is recommended? I have never used any of that kind of stuff.
    I'll replace the air cleaner again. wasn't concerned about MPG when I changed it last year.

Really no point in it now -- a filter should be changed every 24,000 miles.
    But you may want to check that the one you have installed is clean and sitting well.
    (Easy to to it yourself -- read the manual.)

what type of injector cleaner is recommended? I have never used any of that kind of stuff.

Hard to recommend with true knowledge: one can't look inside the engine and see the results after using one. I used various brands available at Autozone and the one thing I know, I didn't have negative consequences: Chevron, Valvoline, Gumout. You won't go wrong with Chevron.

Also, try to use a good brand of gas: Shell, Mobil, Chevron -- at least most of the time.
  • tsgraysontsgrayson Member Posts: 9
    2008 LTZ with 4 cyl and 6 speed on a 1000 mile roadtrip...34.2 mpg
    2005 Base Sedan on a 2300 miles (1150 miles each way) round-trip this
    May:

36.6 mpg one way (empty)
    36.8 mpg back (fully loaded)

(by the fuel purchased).
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    Even with this kind of driving you shouldn't be dumping oil at under 3K. Follow your OLM, if that shows under 10% at that kind of driving you really do have a problem, no one's driving patterns can show that kind of oil abuse.
    I was just changing every three months due to the old "3000 or 3 months, whichever comes first rule" I was not following the OLM. The few times I looked at it when I got the oil changed, it did indicate a whole lot of life left in the oil. do most people follow the OLM system? this is my first car with any such system.

thanks for your reply
    You should really read that manual and follow it -- for oil changes and everything else.

How much one exceeds the oil change interval is a personal choice (some posters at forums here claim there is nothing wrong in going 12-15 K miles between *synthetic* oil changes -- and this is also what Mobil says about its MobilOne syntheitc oils), but changing oil more frequently than the manual says (and it, basically, states, "Trust the oil monitor"), is not only an unnecessary expense for you, it's polluting environment without a reason.
    Your OLM is set for dino and should do about 7-8K between changes. It's very, very sophisticated, and very conservative. If you change at 3K you're throwing money away.
  • packer3packer3 Member Posts: 277
    Is it a four or a six. I had the six and it would get up to 37mpg on a straight highway ride, however in the city 15/16 mpg is what I would gt and I turned in the car with 23,000 on it. The six actually got better gas mileage that the four. Doing all that stuff to your car will not improve the gas mileage.
  • frankcdfrankcd Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 malibu and I am getting the same 17/18 avg mpg. I called the dealership and they told me to make sure I have enough air pressure in the tires. Plus, I was told it will improve with about 10k miles. I am ready to unload the beast.
    Tell the dealer to you know what, when they sold you the car was that information given to you or did the dealer read some of the blogs. Wait until the winter comes and those number drop to 15/16, do you add more air to your tires.
    4 ior 6 cyl? depends on driving style, region you are in....yes gas varies by region on blend additives etc,...proper tire inflation yes...and break in period..yes will maintain MPG....so what was the EPA rating....remember if you look under that number is show a range of MPG, based on driving styles......
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    17/18 mpg is pretty normal for any car in that weight category (Accord, Malibu, Camry) in the city. There isn't much difference between the 4 and the 6 in the city. City mileage is terrible on all cars.

If you have the 4 cylinder, it should shine on the freeway. Take it on a long freeway drive at reasonable (65-70mph) speeds. Reset your miles per gallon readout in your DIC (digital information center) and read the mpg during your trip. If you reset it while you are driving level, constant speed, you should see about 34 mpg. After you drive for a while it should settle down to 28 mpg for the overall trip. If you have a light and steady foot, you might hit 30 mpg or 32 mpg.

You can confirm the numbers by looking online at the Consumer Reports website (subscription required). They do straight city driving and straight highway driving using a metering device they attach to the fuel line. They drive softly. Their numbers don't lie.

Your car is fine. Your expectations don't match your driving conditions and driving style. You may not be logging your fillups and miles per tank. This is typical in America where we often jump from one experience to another without investigating very deeply.

If you want to really test your driving conditions and style, you need to rent a similar car and see what your mileage looks like on the competition, before you take a loss on a trade in.

Also, fwiw, we got the same mileage, in the city, on an Impala with a 6 cylinder as with a PT Cruiser (normal, non turbo 4). It's the driving conditions and driving style, vehicle weight second, and size of engine third.

That's when I laugh when I hear people begging for a 1.0 liter Fit over here (that's the small car from Honda). By the time people "work" the 1.0 for acceleration it will have the same, if not worse, mileage than our 1.5 "export only" version. It's all about vehicle weight and that old "lead" foot. I drive my Fit softly and get 38-40 mpg on my freeway commute.

The only time vehicle displacement comes into play is (1) gas consumption with a lot of idling and (2) taxes you pay in certain other countries, that tax on the basis of engine displacement instead of vehicle weight. My 1.5 liter Fit is "pumping" almost as much air through the engine at the 4,000 rpm required to hit 80 on the freeway as the 3.5 in our minivan, which only turns over at 2,000 rpm at the same speed. Of course the 3.5 requires a richer mixture to push the larger minivan through the air, and more gas to accelerate it, but within certain limits (cars the same weight) the gas mileage on a larger engine with lower rpm often match the gas mileage of a smaller engine with higher rpm. That's why Consumer reports indicated only a 1 mpg advantage to the 4 over the 6 in the last generation of the Malibu in combined driving (but if you cruise long freeway distances at a steady speed, the 4 is more frugal).

Once again, in your situation blame your gas mileage on the timing of traffic lights and the devolution of our auto culture into a "stop light drag race" mentality. The potential mpg you can get from your Malibu is very fine.
    Your pretty much dead on about the city driving for the weight class you spoke about.
    I've said it a few times on the blog, when I leased my 05 Malibu V6 200 hp straight city driving was 15/16 mpg, straight highway run at 65 mph 37 mpg. mixed 28/30.
    It still amazes me, thats better than any 4cyl. on the market, even GM's own, they have magic in the bottle and don't evevn know it.
    My 3.5 Maxx beats my wife's 4 cylinder Optima by a couple of MPG. Probably 22 v. 20 around town. Most of the difference is probably driving styles, however. Her car is driven for extremely short distances and the average MPH is considerably lower on her DIC. I think the 3.5 'Bu is an exceptionally nice engine for low cost in both maintenance and fuel economy.
  • mazda6dudemazda6dude Member Posts: 283
    Does anyone know what is the rpm for a 2008 chevy malibu 4 cylinder when its going 65-70MPH on the freeway? Thanks.
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    Does the 2008 have the 6 speed or the 4 speed?

I'm interested in the answer too.

Automatics often get the same freeway mileage as manual transmissions because the manufacturer can gear them lower, confident that the automatic will unlock (first) then downshift as necessary for pickup. Manufacturers seem reluctant to gear their manual transmissions for optimal freeway mileage since it would then require a manual downshift to 4th for good pickup on the freeway, and then (apparently) consumers would complain that the vehicle is "gutless." (There seems to be an aversion in some drivers to downshifting when already on the freeway - I don't share that aversion.)
    I'm interested in the 4 cylinder 4-speed automatic. I know the LTZ 4 cylinder comes with the 6-speed automatic.
  • malmouzamalmouza Member Posts: 141
    I do not think is better that any I4 on the market. I get 40 or 42 MPG on the highway at 65MPH with the 08 accord I4 and MT transmission. and I get 25 MPG on stop and go traffic, my average per tank is 33 - 34 MPG which is not bad for a large vehicle. And remember I am not hipper-milling, but I am not crawling like turtle either. To sum it up, there is not a lot of difference in highway mileage between cars, it does not matter the engine displacement, but the only difference is the aerodynamic. Friend of mine drive the Honda Fit, at moderate speed on the highway he gets 36 – 37MPG, I get little better numbers with the Accord. The difference is the cd for both cars is different.
    Very good point. I would have to agree with what you said. The highway MPG for 4 cylinder midsize sedans are not that different.
    I'm talking about a 05 model V6 Malibu that is four years old, wouldn't you think technology would have improved ten fold. Your also talking about the aero dynamics of an 05.
    And last of all engine displacement, it is important other wise you wouldn't see the V6 getting as good if not better highway gas mileage than any four. The Fit's 109 hp engine is rated at 34 mpg highway and thats suppose to be the best in it's class, a little smaller than the Accord that is rated at 31mpg and has a 177hp engine, I dont think the aerodynamics have to much to say in this matter.

And by far you are not getting 42 mpg with the Accord your lucky if your breaking 35 mpg, I also have an 08 Accord LX-P, that I got when my lease ran out on the Malibu a few months back, I know the mpg difference by my experience with both cars not some numbers from a car magazine.
    have to concur with the V6 in the Malibu, rated at 200 HP....my 04 Malibu Maxx averages 26-28 combined.....and 32-34 on the hwy.......I cant see a reason to get a new car at this point....based on the fuel economy and size of the Maxx, despite it having 130K on it.....the scheduled maintenance is less than most imports and far less expensive as well...

running full synthetic....oil changes every 7500 miles, a complete 100K service done... all fluids, plugs, wires, belts replace...two brake jobs (64K and 115K), replaced front rotors on the second, one battery, about to place third set of tires (68K on the current set) and no other repairs required. Insurance is low, property tax is low, and its paid for......
  • malmouzamalmouza Member Posts: 141
    I will have to disagree with you on the aerodynamic. The resistance from the air at high speed is one of the big issue that Car maker and Airplane makers are trying to solve to decrease fuel consumption. An example is the train is designed with less surface resistance so Cd is low, and that is why trains can travel 200 miles on one gallon of diesel, carrying tons of merchandise. If the train travel sideways the air resistance will increase and the train will need hundreds of gallons of diesel to travel 200 miles.
    The other thing is the car engine technology did not change that much over the years, except for the switch from carburetors to fuel injection to direct injection; the principle is still the same combustion chamber where the air and fuel are mixed and ignited by spark plugs or by high compression for the diesel case. Not that much changed, we increased a little bit the fuel efficiency by not that much. But one thing we did over the years is adding more weight to our cars, by adding more motors for the seats, motors for the moon roof, motors for the windows, motors for mirrors, motors for trunk, motors for rear seats, motors for rear wipers, motors for rear climate control fan, etc. Every motor weight a pound or two or more, and you are wondering why we are not getting a good fuel mileage, get ride of half of those motors and you’ll see a 25% increase in MPG, not counting that all those motors drain the battery of energy needed for the engine to run the computer (ECU), and other electrical systems. There you have it.
    Nice try but I dont think the air theory seems to be working well with the auto makers.

Though I'm glad to see that Pao's Max is still rolling strong.
    Right, like this wind train theory, if an electric train was going 200 miles per hour which way would the smoke be blowing.
    What I find amazing or scary is the fact people are buying cars somewhat clue less.
    I just read the one review for the 2009 Malibu, I didn't understand if the person got the 4cyl or the 6cyl, I don't even think they know.
    The real stopper is that the person just got the car less than a month ago and already there thinking that the gas mileage will get better after it breaks in.

Here's a news flash, what ever mpg they are getting today is what they are going to get tomorrow and the next day, etc. The sales rep. should get an Oscar for that sell, also I hope he told them to inflate their tires past the mfg's recomendation so there mileage will increase, but not telling them that their tires will wear out faster.

See below article.

Vehicle

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Review

Our Malibu has V6 option. Very good feel with power and handling. Looking forward to after break-in to see true gas mileage. Beautiful auto.
    Although I haven't noticed much improvement in mileage after break in with GM engines, HyunKia engines are very tight when new and improve steadily in MPG for at least 10-15000 miles.

36 lb. gives better gas mileage than 32 in most cars with no problems with increased tire wear.
    keep in mind 36 lbs goes higher in the heat, one thing you never want to do is to push the tires limitations
  • hickorychickoryc Member Posts: 25
    My '04 Maxx did not get over 30 MPG on highway until 50,000 miles. Now at 60,000, it has averaged 33 on the highway and 28 mixed. Wife's '08 Civic has been inching up in the MPG category each fillup from 32 to 37. I fully expect it to increase even more. To qualify the statement regarding the Maxx, I previously posted that I added STP (Red can) for the first time at 50,000. On a side note, in June we fully loaded the Maxx for vacation and it still got 33 highway miles out of every gallon, about the same as my solo daily commute.
    Two long trips this year (a college parent's duties), in the 2005 Malibu Base Sedan (MPG computed as distance/fuel, the distance one way about 1150 miles):

+----------+------- +--------+
    | Where | Whn | MPG |
    +----------+-------+---------+
    | MA-TN | May | 36.64 |
    | TN-MA | May | 36.78 |
    | MA-TN | Aug | 36.55 |
    | TN-MA | Aug | 37.37 |
  • phil53phil53 Member Posts: 54
    I'm looking for some information on a specific model. I'm seriously considering the 09 LTZ with the 4 cyl and 6 speed automatic. It's rated at 22 city and 33 highway, but I'd like to get some real world input. I've gone back through several pages and seen only one post on this particular car. The 08 similarly equipped or a 2LT with the same drivetrain would be OK too, since it is the same car.
    My driving style is somewhat aggressive. I drive 5- 10 over. I don't over-inflate my tires (whatever it recommends in the manual is what I go with). I get away from stop lights quickly (I hate people who dawdle when there's a string of traffic trying to get through a short green light). I come up to speed quickly when entering the freeway. My commute starts in suburban traffic (2 - 3 miles with lots of lights), then about 25 miles of freeway (65 -75 mph) followed by another 5 miles or so of suburban traffic with several lights (40-45 mph, when it's moving).
    I really like this car, but I'm also considering a small CUV (Subaru Forester Limited) for the AWD and utility it offers. I've been following that thread pretty closely and it appears that I could reasonably expect to average about 23 - 25 mpg. I'd like to know that I can do significantly better with the Bu, if I'm giving up the AWD and utility.
    So any input would be appreciated.
  • 08ltz08ltz Member Posts: 1
    We took delivery of a 08 Malibu LTZ 4 cyl 6AT on 8-23-08 with 360 miles at delivery.

On the first tank with a lot of idling to figure out onstar and play with all the functions, we averaged 28.3 with an average speed of 38 mph. Tire pressure is at recommended 30 PSI. My wife is driving the car and has a heavy foot. Her commute is about 2 miles of stop and go followed by 16 miles of highway(65-80mph) and then another 2 miles of stop and go. She uses no fuel saving techniques.

So far on the second tank we are averaging 28.8 with an average speed of 39 MPH. On this tank I drove on hilly/curvy country highways for about 90 miles and the readout was at 32.5 mpg and climbing when we got home. I checked instant mpg at 60 mph with the cruise set on a level road and very little wind and it was between 43 and 46 mpg, I think the car will easily get the advertised 32 mpg highway.

On the first fill we had 14.4 gallons and 413 miles for an actual average of 28.68, so a little better than the readout calculated. So overall the readout appears pretty accurate so far.

We really like the car so far, it is comfortable, rides and drives very nice and is quiet inside.
    That was very helpful! That's just the sort of information I was looking for and is very encouraging. :shades:
    I have been vacillating between the Malibu and a small SUV ('09 Forester). The SUV offers more utility and AWD. It doesn't do too badly on mileage (~25 mpg). But it looks like the Malibu will do quite a bit better, plus it offers a few more creature comforts in LTZ guise. Plus, I know the Chevy dealer and they're close-by.
  • kam327kam327 Member Posts: 115
    Rented a '08 Malibu 1LT with 4 Cylinder and 4-speed auto during a visit to Florida this weekend. I topped off the tank, ran a round trip between Tampa and Naples, and when I refilled the tank I calculated 28 mpg. That's 2 less than the EPA rating. It's puzzling since it was 99% highway driving. I was doing about 75-80 and noticed the RPMs were around 2800 which seems high. Maybe you have to do 65 or less to get 30mpg? If you do 65 on I-75 in Florida you'll get mowed down by pickup trucks.
    It probably has to do with 2 things.
    First and foremost, your rental has a 4 speed automatic. The 2LT and LTZ are now available with the 6 speed automatic. I'm guessing the addition of 2 more gears makes a significant difference.
    Second, while I, myself, have a heavy foot and have been known (frequently) to drive those speeds, the EPA test does not. I suspect if you slowed down to 65 - 70, you might gain 1 to 2 mpg.
    With a 2.4L 4 cyl and a 4 speed automatic, 2800 rpm at those speeds is probably not out of line. Our VW 1.9L diesel with a 5 speed manual churns nearly that hard at those speeds.
    FWIW, a bigger engine with a couple more gears will do about as well. My 2003 Corvette with the 5.7L V8 and 6 speed manual would have returned 28 mpg on the trip you described. But, of course, it has enough power and is light enough that it is hardly turning at those speeds. Having said that, I once rented a Buick LeSabre with the 3.8L V6 and 4 speed auto. I drove it from Indianapolis to KC at about 75 mph and it returned right about 28 mpg. So smaller doesn't always equal more economical.
  • kam327kam327 Member Posts: 115
    What surprised me was that it was quite a bit lower than the EPA rating of 30. I can get the EPA highway rating in my Mazda Tribute driving around 75-80 but if I slow to 65-70 I have gotten 3-4 mpg over the EPA rating. I was expecting the same of the Malibu but I guess all cars are different. The lesson here is that you really have to work hard in the Malibu to get the EPA highway rating. I would expect now that with the 6-speed transmission you may get 30-31 on the highway whereas the EPA rating is 33 for '09.
  • kpugh2kpugh2 Member Posts: 20
    My wife has traveled a total 87,123 miles since 2003. She has used 3,120.577 gallon of gas = 27.919 MPG. This is with a 3.5 V-6 Malibu
    Yes we have synthetic oil 0W-30 with once per year oil changes.
    Ken
    I took the plunge and bought the Malibu yesterday. '09 LTZ, 4 cyl 6AT, granite black over cocoa/cashmere. I'll let you know how I do after I've had the chance to run a few tanks through it. Right now, I'm averaging about 24 mpg on this tank. Some around town, some freeway. I hoping for a something better.
  • hjr3hjr3 Member Posts: 2
    What's the MPG everyone is realizing on the 6 cyl/6 speed auto Malibu? And, at what speeds?

Thanks
  • jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    Conditions: daily drive, ~25 miles of I40 between Old Fort NC to Asheville NC, speeds between 55-65, ~5 miles rural route, speeds between 30 and 55, and between 1 and 8 miles in downtown Asheville, all 1 way. Around 5 to 6 miles of the I40 drive is on Old Fort Mtn, steep grade. Granted, on the way home that stretch is all downhill, but it's the opposite on the way to work. The rest of the I40 slog is mostly slight uphill / downhill between Asheville and Black Mountain.

Now to my numbers- driven in these (nearly ideal? I always thought flat terrain would be better, but..) conditions, I have been getting anywhere from 28 to 32 mpg, with the overall sitting right at 29. The overall includes the initial break-in of 500 miles where I stayed off the interstate as much as possible (more stop'n'go), kept speeds below 55 where I could, etc.

I have noticed while driving around strictly in downtown Asheville that the reading varies between 16's and 22, with the lighter traffic usually being higher, but lots of stop'n'go / accelerating against the hills being closer to 17. Speed zones anywhere from 35 to 50 mph, though sometimes barely getting up to speed before stopping again.

Those are my observations. Let me know if there is anything more specific you want to know.
  • bibo2bibo2 Member Posts: 9
    Bought my new Malibu 2008 2LT, 4 cyl engine, last week from CarMax. It is almost brand new and has only 1600 miles on it. The DIC currently shows 21.6 mpg for my last 400 miles driving. I drive about 25 miles one way to work, which has about 60 % City/40% Highway.

I have been scared to notice the fuel gauge moving down quickly while driving it on highway. I never experienced something like that. I own a honda Civic 96 and Sienna 04, and have never seen the fuel gauge noticeably moving while driving these cars. My Sienna Van has 6 cyls with 54K miles on it and still average 20.5 mpg.

I researched this car for the last 4 months and saw many praises on its fuel economy. But I did not expect it this bad. I was hoping for 26-27 mpg average.

When I bought the Malibu, I wondered why the last owner would resell the car after just couple of weeks driving it. I remembered to see 16.7mpg when resetting the DIC. I guess that might be the reason he dumped the car to carmax.

Now I am wondering I would do the same. I will start measuring the gas manually tomorrow to see exactly what mpg I got.
    In my opinion/advice. Don't give up yet. Here are somethings I do to increase my MPG and maybe it can help you. I don't drive a Malibu, but this might be helpful.

1. Roll to Stop's and Red Lights. Anticipate and judge beforehand and let off the gas pedal and roll to stop.

2. Use as much cruise control as you can. For example whenever you have long strecthes of a certain speed limit cruise control it.

3. Find the speed where you engine hits its last gear. In other words if you have a 4 speed automatic, try to feel at what MPH its goes into 4th and engine enters smooth rpm. What I am getting at is try to get to your highest gear as soon as possible. Obviously obey speed limit as all times.

High RPM's kill the MPG of a car. Hope this helps. The Malibu is a nice car and you should achieve good MPG.
  • bryanbryan Member Posts: 198
    I too have a 2LT with the 4cyl and 4-speed transmission--now have 2500 miles since May delievery. Each tank the mileage is creeping up--first tank got right at 31 on the highway; I'm now getting 34 making the same trip each weekend. Your mileage should improve as you rack up more miles. I also have an '07 Malibu LS, and routinely get 36 plus on the highway!

Good luck and keep us posted as you too rack up more miles.
    I can sympathize. I just bought a new '09 LTZ with the 4 cyl and 6 speed automatic. I've been driving a combination of suburban and freeway with the majority being the latter. I don't take any great pains to increase my mileage, nor do I care to; I just drive normally. I flogged our old Beetle and got 40+ mpg (it was a TDI).
    The end result is, my first tank was under 24 mpg (23.7 or 23.9, depending on whether you believe the DIC or the calculator). My second tank was just under 26 mpg. My current tank is under 25 mpg. I too have been alarmed at the rate the needle on the fuel gauge drops. I truly expected better. Had I known this was what I could expect, I'd have purchased the Forester for the additional utility and AWD the mini-SUV provides. It's fuel mileage is about that good. I have a list of niggling complaints about the Malibu, but this is the biggest.
  • ohc6sprintohc6sprint Member Posts: 23
    I have been reading these posts for some time now while shopping for a car. I was trying to decide between the 3.6 and 2.4 both with 6speed transmissions. I started looking at the Malibu but both me an my wife like the Saturn Aura better. Tonight we took a test drive in two Aura XR's with each engine. The purpose of the drive was to travel the same route and compare the MPG after driving as efficiently as possible. The route included a short stretch of highway (3/4 mile) having a couple of traffic lights and about 5 miles of hilly urban 6 lane highway with light traffic. The average speed was 45 to 50 MPH on the highway portion. The 2008 3.6 had 5,000 miles on it and returned 28.2 miles per gallon. The 2009 2.4 had 1,000 miles on it and returned 30.6 miles per gallon. The 2.4 was at 31.7 when I caught a light on an uphill grade and had to reaccelerate up the hill to get back to my starting point.

It is true that the mileage improves on these engines after break in. I would run regular oil during the first 10,000 miles to be sure that it is broken in then maybe switch to synthetic oil.

I wanted the 2.4 which performed very well, my wife wanted the 3.6 because she liked the dual exhaust look and color better. I liked the 2.4's 17" wheels and she liked the 3.6's 18" wheels better. I felt that the 2.4 could easily achieve over 33 MPG on level highway.

The sales manager that drove the 3.6 told me that he put the 5,000 miles on the demo mostly driving from Pittsburgh to New Jersey and that he would get 33 MPG going to NJ and 29 MPG on the return trip.

These numbers are from the on board computers and were not hand verified. In any case I lost and we ended up buying the 3.6 Aura. I tried to sway my wife by telling her that we will be owning this car for 8 years or more and who knows how high gas will be by then. But she was not to be deterred. I know that the 3.6 will tease me to drive faster and will result in lesser mileage if I succumb. At least we both agreed that we liked the Aura.

I fully expect that the 2.4 has the ability to return 6 more mpg's than the 3.6, but my test only showed 2.4 mpg more and maybe 3.5 mpg if I had not caught that last light. Also the 2.4 was not yet broke in with only 1,000 miles.

Hope this helps the discussion some. I will be taking a trip in two weeks and will report the results and back the figures up with hand calcs. I will also use my GPS to check for speedometer error.
  • bibo2bibo2 Member Posts: 9
    All, Thanks for your tips and encouragement. Yesterday I measured my 44 mile trip and got 24.3 MPG. I had the AC off, tire pressures at 35PSI. So there is some light at the end of the tunnel here!
    Mazda6due, I've been doing tip (1) for years. I understand (2) but find it practically hard to do it with my highway as the traffic is unreliable. (3) is new to me but I don't think I want to do it. I want to save mileages, but I don't want to try it too hard either. I want to be relaxed and enjoy my drive.
    I hope it is true that after the break-in period or after 5000 miles, the mileage will be improved. But I am skeptical about it.
    I will let you know my mpg for the next tank