Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Malibu MPG-Real World Numbers

Comments

• djm2djm2 Member Posts: 712
    Hi Gonogo:

Did you purchase this vehicle new? ----- The reason why I ask, is because I have never heard of "Hankook Tires" on a new vehicle! ----- Could you be getting this good highway mileage because of these tires? ---- Best regards. ----- Dwayne :shades: ;):)
  • gonogogonogo Member Posts: 879
    Yes , new.
    My neighbor bought a new Ford pickup a few years back and I noticed it had Hankook tires, so it's popular with OEM.

Best tires I have ever had for handing in turns, sticks like glue.

Remember Pontiac and Chevy are not the same. When I traded my 04 Malibu that was falling apart, I told them the G6 was like my Malibu, they were offended. BTW my Malibu had 40 K miles.
  • dleitdleit Member Posts: 1
    It is the EPA that determines the mileage ratings for all cars sold in the USA. This is the only mileage numbers that can be advertised, and are required to be posted on the window sticker. If you cannot achieve the posted numbers, blame Obama! :D
    That said, I just got a 2011 4 cyl 6 speed, have gotten about 26 mpg in mixed driving with temperatures -5 to +20 F. My last car was a Honda Fit, in that car I could drived the pants off it and still get near the highway rating, in the Malibu I have to work to get good mileage. Moderate acceleration and maintain your momentum. I think I could break 30 mpg with a little effort.
    edited February 2011
    How come you didn't buy another Fit?
    We had another snow storm the other day, I know it's Obama's fault.
  • e_net_ridere_net_rider Member Posts: 1,380
    edited February 2011
    Numbers are required, but they may be a manufacturer estimate until EPA gets around to testing. That is fact. If EPA finds a discrepancy, they can fine maker.
    Your mileage for mixed sounds pretty good.
    As to Obama, that would be a possibility because he pushed through that alcohol content can be raised to 15%. I had been considering it trying to determine the sudden drop of about 3MPG on 3.6L. But all pumps I've used still state up to 10%. Do they have to put new stickers before changing? Or did Obama law allow backdooring as it now does in military? :mad:
    Tier One, a vehicle requirement states no less than 8%, no more than 10%. Engine makers seem to have come out against E85 or high alcohol content claiming it causes short life of engine. I really don't know about that since I presumed the opposite figuring it would burn cleaner. I've seen the oil in propane burners and it looks like new after a few thousand miles. :confuse:
    I had 09 LT2 I4 A6 and must say mileage was quite good. What does the inst.MPG show at a steady or cruise of 60MPH. Mine would show well above 33MPG. On a 2600 mile trip, heavily loaded, with 200 of that being local driving I got 29+MPG and much of that was 75MPH or faster.
    Tires were GY stock and crappy. That little I4 would frequently break them loose and worse on wet road. They were not the touring tire the sticker said was on vehicle.
    If you are not getting close to that mileage, I'd say something is wrong. Talk to dealer. One thought that comes to mind that might kill local mileage is quite a few complained about the way it shifted and they came out with an update. I don't think mine ever got it and they may have made that standard on new vehicles. I always used Chevron 87 which was supposed to be between 8 and 10% alcohol. It might now be 15% and that would hurt. If not the fuel, then they must have changed something. Some were having issues with the pre-converter plugging and that would hurt mileage.
    I own a 2010 LTZ 4 cylinder Malibu with a 6 speed automatic transmission, and Goodyear Eagle tires. ---- These tires are garbage! ---- (Do the research on the net! ---See for yourself! ---- Protect yourself and your family!) ----- I just replaced them with Michelin tires. ---- The Goodyear tires are an "accident" looking for a place to happen! ----- Best regards! ----- Dwayne :shades: ;):)
    I think I said mine came with GY, which the 11Lacrosse CSX did, but the Malibu came with lowly FS FR710.
    Both have had some bad bad tires.
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    What type of Michelin tires did you get? Hopefully you got a good deal.
    Good Morning:

I had Michelin HydroEdge tires placed on the Malibu. I am very happy with the results! ---- The Malibu now drives like a much heavier vehicle! ---- "Quality tires" do make a major difference. (NOTE: ---- A Ford Fusion comes with Michelin Tires. ------ QUESTION: ---- What does Ford know that GM does not know about tires!) ---- I will be looking for a NEW vehicle to replace my 2007 Camry in 2012. ---- I like the Impala, Malibu, Fusion & Camry. ---- (I might also look at a small four cylinder SUV in the GM & Toyota line of vehicles.) ----- The Toyota Dealer would have no problem removing the Bridgestone Tires, and replacing them with Michelin Tires as part of the deal, on the other hand, the Chevrolet Dealer might not be so cooperative! ----- This will be a DEAL BREAKER! ----- If I cannot get Michelin Tires on the GM vehicle, (without any additional cost on my part), I will purchase a Toyota or a Ford product. ------ YES, this will cost GM a sale! ------ (It is too bad than GM is so short sighted! --- In a time when competition is so fierce in the automotive marketplace, you would think that management would go the extra mile to make a customer happy! ---- This is not the case with GM, so as a result, they will lose a sale and all the service work over five years of ownership.) ------- Best regards. :shades: ;):)
    Good Morning All;

I took the Malibu out in the recent snow storm with the new Michelin Tires! ------ The vehicle drives like a different car! ---- It has no problem going through snow! ----- If you want a "great performing vehicle," -- take off the Goodyear tires and install Michelin Tires! ----- GM should have installed these tires, on the vehicle, as part of the "original equipment package." ---- I purchased the "TOP OF THE LINE" (LTZ) Malibu, --- and I got "BOTTOM OF THE LINE" ($98.00 / retail), tires! ----- Help me understand this corporate logic! ---- The vehicle is a "quality product," -- but GM "dropped the ball" when they installed "cheap tires" on this vehicle! ----- WAKE UP GM! ----- Hyundai & Kia are going to take your market share. ----- Take a "hard look at their vehicles!" ----- They are producing a "quality product," and their dealers are willing to work with the customers! ---- I would bet that I could get a Hyundai or a Kia dealer to switch tires prior to delivery! ----- Just something to "think about" while you are in your corporate offices drinking coffee!

Best regards! -------- Dwayne :shades: ;):) :confuse:
    You think? Bought 40K Lacrosse which came with GY tires, 19" Eagle RSA. Damn. Rated pretty low compared to others of same type. They quieted after about a 1000 miles but their wet and snow performance is just bad. I'm hoping a different tire would improve ride a bit as well. Over $1200 of tires + mount, ship, etc. per tire rack. Could not get them to budge and no tire dealers wanted them. One place offered me $400.
    Good Evening:

Replace the Good Year Tires on the Lacrosse! ------ (They are an accident looking for a place to happen!)

I will be making a new vehicle purchase in 2012. ---- I know that the Toyota dealer will remove the Bridgestone tires, and install "original equipment Michelin tires," (without any out of pocket expenses to me!) ----- On the other hand, the Chevrolet Dealer might not be so accommodating! ----- I am going to price a 2012 Toyota V6 XLE Camry, and a 2012 LT 2 Chevrolet 3.5 V6 Impala with the same equipment and a maximum extended manufacturer's extended warranty (Zero deductible to 100,000 miles.) ------ The criteria for purchase will be: ride quality, comfort, fit & finish, body style, performance, overall quality, the trade value of my 2007 Camry, (as defined by each dealer), and the tires on the vehicle. ------ I like both vehicles. --- (If Chevrolet decided to offer the LTZ Malibu with a four cylinder Turbo like the Buick Regal, I would also take a look at the Malibu!) ----- If I had to guess, I would say that the Impala would come in as the cheaper vehicle, but I would have to factor in the cost of the Michelin tires. ----- On the other side of the issue, the Camry would have a better "trade in value" in five years, than the Impala! ----- My 2007 V6 XLE Camry is one "HOT Vehicle!" ----- (Coming out of a toll booth on the GSP I could easily stay with an average Mustang to 65mph!) --- I do not think the Impala has that kind of performance built into it with a four speed automatic.

Best regards. ----------- Dwayne :shades: :confuse: ;):):D
    I test drove a 10 Impala and it seemed to be a nice handling ride. The down side seems to be that 09 was the last intended year on that platform and options had become very thin. There were some I wanted that just were not available on the Impala. But then I can say of the Lacrosse that there are some I feel should have been standard equipment especially on CSX but not even available. Air self leveling shocks on rear is definitely such.
    It is my understanding that the intent was for a new epsilon platform to be used on a new Buick Lasabre would also become the new Impala. It has been greatly delayed and won't be out till at least 2012. That would mean no Impala for a few years so they keep building the old.
    You seem to be a bit power concerned so possibly the LTZ which comes with 3.9L and probably increased gas, but more options also.
    Good Morning:

Here are the issues:

1.) My 2007 XLE V6 Toyota Camry easily gets 30mpg at 60mph, (on the highway), and in the process has outstanding performance.

2.) The 3.9 Chevrolet engine is NOT a flex-fuel engine, and it does not come close to the mileage of the Camry

3.) I think the V8 Impala has an engine that cuts out cylinders while cruising on the highway. (I will have to do some research on this issue.) ---- [I had an opportunity to drive a 2007 version of this vehicle when I was looking for a vehicle in 2007! ---- This is one "HOT" car and it sounds "HOT!"

4.) I was hoping that the Impala would have a 6 speed automatic transmission in 2012.

5.) I think that the Impala would look great in a dark Cherry exterior color with beige leather interior. (GM needs to "up-date" their color choices!) ---- [A dark green would also look great with a beige leather interior]

6.) With the Camry I get both performance and mileage.

7.) Recently, I rented an Impala and it handled very well in the snow.

8.) If GM installs a 6 speed automatic transmission in the Impala it should be a shiftable 6 speed automatic with controls on the steering wheel! ---- (GM needs to improve and up-date the Impala line and their drive train technology!)

7.) I have both a great GM dealer and a great Toyota dealer!

8.) I like my 2010 LTZ Malibu, (now that I have installed Michelin tires.) ---- This car now can go "head to head" with a four cylinder Honda Accord, or a four cylinder Toyota Camry. ----- (I would like a little more punch in the GM four cylinder engine! GM offers a turbo in the Buick Regal, and this should be offered in the LTZ Malibu!)

Best regards. --------------- Dwayne :shades: ;):):D
    Hi:

QUESTIONS: ----- What kind of mileage do you get on the Buick Lacrosse? ----- Does it have a 6 speed automatic transmission? ----- Can you shift it manually? -------- Best regards. --------- Dwayne :shades: :confuse: ;):)
    2, I think both the 3.5 & 3.9 became flex fuel in 2010. The Lucernne using 3.9 is flex.
    3, My stepson has SS, maybe 08. He loves it except it won't go past a gas station. About 20MPG on highway.
    4, What I find amazing is that in some cases coupling the 6 speed to an existing engine seems to lower MPG. Maybe coincidence with new EPA regs.
    5, 09 and prior had many more color choices in some GM vehicles.
    8, I found the shift paddles near useless. They are coupled with electronic control of tranny so any shift comes with a delay and if it is considered out of range it won't do it.
    Does not the LTZ come with 3.6 standard?
    edited February 2011
    Good Morning:

Thank you for your response to my comments. ----- Kindly be advised that the LTZ Malibu comes standard with the four (4) cylinder engine, and the six (6) speed automatic transmission. ------ If I was to consider another Malibu, (and a Turbo four was not available), I would most probably go with the 3.6 V6. ----- Think of this possibility; ---- a two door Malibu with a 6 speed manual trans, with either a 4 turbo or a 3.6 V6 engine, and dual exhausts on either engine! ----- If this vehicle was offered with a deep cherry exterior it would be a "smoking machine!" ----- ARE YOU LISTENING GENERAL MOTORS ???????????? ------ Best regards. ----- Dwayne :shades: ;):):D
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    As a follow up are the Michelins holding air better than the Goodyears? Or was it a rim problem?
    Hi All:

I am happy to report that the Michelin tires are holding "Nitro." ---- In addition, the Michelin tires are great in the snow, unlike the Goodyear tires! ----- The ride is a little harder than the Goodyear tires. ----- The handling is very good. ---- If I decide to purchase another GM product, I will be negotiating a "trade of tires" prior to taking delivery of the new vehicle. ------ If I purchase another Malibu, I will most likely purchase the V6! ------ I just got back from Atlantic City, and the vehicle performed very well on the NJ Turnpike, and the Garden State Parkway. ----- The vehicle drives like a much heavier car with the Michelin tires. ---- Quality tires make a "BIG DIFFERENCE!" ------ I have been using premium fuel in the vehicle as an experiment. ----- It seems to be a little more powerful with the 92 octane fuel, especially when passing another vehicle on the highway! ---- I like the performance of the fuel that is sold by the "WAWA" convenience stores! ------

Best regards. --------- Dwayne :shades: ;):):D :confuse:
  • onespirit555onespirit555 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 4 cylinder Malibu and I have always gotten excellent gas mileage. Once in the city I got 30 MPG.
  • truckdriving88truckdriving88 Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2010 malibu with the 6 speed automatic trans, the fuel milage is great but the motor is underpowered for the trans and when I take off the engine shudiders and shakes like it is going to fall out of the car. GM has attempted to repair the problem 3 times and has now refused to acknowledge the problem, telling me that the severve viberation is NORMAL. Buy anytihing but a GM product.
    I purchased a new 2010 Malibu with a 4cyclinder engine and an 6 speed automatic trans and have had nothing but problems with the trans since the car was recalled last June when the car had 200 miles on it. There is a problem with this trans and it the same driveline that is in the 2011 malibu also. GM has recalibrated the trans 3 times and now tell me that what I have is the "Normal characteristics of the car". When I accelerate from a stopped postition there is a severe vibration and shuddering in the transmission. I would recomend not buying a new GM vehicle, they have failed to stand behind their product.
    Hi Truckdriving88:

As you know from prior postings, I have a 2010 4 cylinder LTZ Malibu with a 6 speed automatic. ----- I presently have 10,000 + miles on the vehicle. (No problem outside of the original Goodyear Tires.) ---- What was you vehicle recalled for?????? ------- SUGGESTION: ----- Purchase a GM 100,000 mile "top of the line" extended warranty. (I have one on my Malibu!) ----- What is the "Lemon Law" in your State? ----- I can only get 30+ mpg if I keep the vehicle at 55 mph on the highway. ----- If I drive at 60 / 65 I get 27 mpg. -------- My other vehicle, (a 2007 V6 XLE Camry), gets 30 mpg easily at 60 / 65 mph. I have had this vehicle up to 34mpg on a long road trip! ----- GM needs to do some better engineering with regards to this engine & trans in terms of mpg! ------- Best Regards. ------------ Dwayne :shades: ;):)
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    edited April 2011
    > I can only get 30+ mpg if I keep the vehicle at 55 mph on the highway.

Dear DJM,

Have you tried a different brand of gasoline and used the midgrade octane level for a couple of fills to see if that changes the mileage? I find our Cobalt seems particular about some fuels and I wonder if it's higher alcohol levels in them that affects the indicated mileage.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

I-4 & AT-6 is not a rocket, but far faster than when it was couple with AT-4.
    It sounds like you have an engine problem. With this combo, some had issues with pre-cat just over a year ago causing low power. Are they trying to force you to use lemon law so they can recoup from government?
    Hi imidazol97:

I am in the process of trying different brands of fuel and octane. ----- (Fuel does not seem to be a problem with the 2007 V6 XLE Camry. ------ I easily get 30mpg on 87 octane, "name brand" and / or "off brand fuel!") ----- The Malibu seems to be more comfortable on the highway at 55mph. ---- Once I get past 60mph, the engine seems to be working much harder. ----------- (I am not sure that the six speed automatic trans is a good combination with the four cylinder engine. ---- Maybe this vehicle should only have a five speed. The vehicle seems to "down shift" at every little opportunity, and this kills MPG! ----- The V6 Camry does not operate in this fashion! ----- There is more "leeway" between the accelerator movement and a forced downshift. ----- The Malibu's accelerator seems to be very sensitive to the slightest movement.) ----- At the higher speed, 60+ mph, keeping a very steady pedal, without using cruise control, is an effort! ----- (I do not like "cruise control"! ----- I want to drive my own vehicle!) -------- Best regards. ------------- Dwayne :shades: ;)
    I guess, I have been dealing with representives in Detroit for 9 months trying t solve the problem, then suddenly they tell me the "Lugging" is normal and that I have to to live with the car in this condition.
    Dwayne: Last June I took the car in for a dash problem and when I picked it up I was told that they had preformed an computer update on trans. problem recall. 2 car had 300miles on it. I drove the car 10 miles and the trans started shifting between 5th and 6th gears at 2100 causing a surging problem. The dealership told me then that GM was aware of this issue and in OCT. they provided a new recalibration and it has been all downhill from there. They tell me to just drive the car as it is and that it has a 100,000 mile warrenty and that the lugging, chugging I feel when I take off is normal.
    edited April 2011
    Hi truckdriving88:

What is the "lemon law" like in your state? ------ I would invoke the "lemon law" ASAP! --------- Hire a "lemon law attorney" is necessary! ----- Keep us posted! --------- Your vehicle is NOT safe! ----- Best Regards! -------Dwayne ;)
    There seems to be some disparity about mileage judging from complaints. the 09 LT2 I had showed me good mileage although it seemed to drop off a little as I approached 10K. On one round trip across the Smokies & about 2700 miles it showed me 29.5 MPG including about 300 miles of local driving and fast on the interstate.
    Could the disparity be related to your chugging complaint? I have noted that on many vehicles with 4 cylinder it is hard to hold a steady speed because of the tight gearing ratio for best mileage while meeting EPA requirements. And it seems to have crepted into V6 with AT6. Newer ones using VVT, DI, etc. might have more speed creep than prior models.
    Since you seem to think the tranny calibrations are making it worse, have you tried getting it calibrated back to what it was when you took delivery?
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    truckdriving88,
    Can you please email me your VIN? Has your dealer involved technical assistance?
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    I have asked the dealership to calibrate it back to what it was when I purchased it, but they refuse saying that this is the solution to a GM recall on the trans.
    I have been involved with GM representives in Detriot at the GM ecutive offices since November 2010 and have had no resolution. I was also contacted by GM rep.s that work in Portagul and Milasia, one was rude, loud and tryed to intimidate me over the phone after I had requested that GM buyback the car, he also refused to provide me with a last name or return phone number. I am really disappointed with GM, my father was a ASE certifed mechanic at a chevy dealership his whole life and although I never made being a mechanic my profession I have restored a few Chevy Camaro's and a 57 Belair over the last few years. My family including my children have only purchased new Chevrolets. GM has lost a lifetime customer.
    Perhaps I should have guessed that would be the outcome of reprogram.
    Time to go back to square one with troubleshooting. Your complaint is lugging, chugging. I presume that means you get the feeling it is in too high a gear at start from stop? Like maybe it is in 2nd or 3rd gear?
    Can you do a few accelerations from a stop and check for gear changes? With light, medium, & heavy pedal, + maybe WOT? Also note when TCC engages.
    Note speeds & RPMs at changes. Do any of the shifts flair, that is, does the RPM increase during the release & engagement of the next higher gear?
    What happens if you attempt manually shifting?
    The big question here is with your description of problem, is it tranny or is it engine?
  • dispencer2dispencer2 Member Posts: 299
    I'm very sorry that the Malibu went with a 6 speed. My new car (38 miles on it) slides through the gears and feels funny -like it isn't solidly moving from gear to gear. Hard to explain - feels like the gears are slipping. My 09 Cobalt with a 4 speed automatic feels much more familiar and precisely shifts from gear to gear. The new Malibu feels slushy. GM ought to ressurect the old twin turbine Dynaflow or the Turbodrive I had in a '58 Impala where you didn't feel any shifts at all. I may suffer from a lower gas mileage with a 4 speed but I doubt it. I got 43.1 on the Cobalt coming east with a tailwind from Albuquerque to Clovis on Saturday. Wish I could have ordered a 4 speed on the Malibu.
    Hi All:

My 2010 four cylinder Malibu LTZ with a 6 speed transmission has turned 12,500 miles, and it has developed the famous "surging issue!" ------- When going up a hill from a dead stop, or when merging into "bumper to bumper traffic" on the highway at 20mph, the engine / drivetrain surges like a manual transmission stuck in a high gear range for the vehicle speed. The engine lugs! ---- I have an appointment with the selling dealer to have the vehicle service for this problem, but I have no faith that anything can be done for this issue. ---- I think GM knows more about this problem than they are telling the customers. ----- While I have a 100,000 mile GM extended warranty on this vehicle, if this problem cannot be solved, this vehicle is HISTORY! ---- I might consult a "Lemon Law Attorney!" ----- Best regards. --------- Dwayne :lemon: :confuse: :mad:
    Hi All:
    UP DATE ON THE SURGING PROBLEM!

The problem is getting more prevalent! ----- Today, I was traveling on the highway at a steady 55mph with the A/C ON. ----- When the vehicle approached a hill, and started to climb the hill the engine started to surge. -------- If feels like one of the cylinders is cutting out under load. -------- It is heat related, as you must be driving for a while before the symptoms appear. ------ I cannot wait to take this vehicle in for service. One of the ignition coils could be going bad, or I might have a problem with one of the injectors under load. ---- I will keep you posted. ---- I AM NOT A HAPPY OWNER! --------- I will be taking my Malibu in for service in the near future. ---- Best regards. ----- Dwayne :lemon: :sick: :confuse: :mad:
  • phil53phil53 Member Posts: 54
    I have been complaining about mine pretty much since I bought it. So I took it back in recently (now that it's out of warranty, of course) and asked them to look at both the transmission and throttle mapping.
    Now, it appears that GM has a service bulletin for the programming of the 6 speed automatic. Since being re-programmed, it has made a big difference. It has not cured all its ills, but well worth the visit and the $80 they charged me. Of course, I think they should have covered it, but didn't feel like arguing that point.
    Hi All:

UP DATE ON THE SURGING PROBLEM!

I took my 2010 four cylinder LTZ Malibu to the dealer for this problem. They took the time to troubleshoot the problem, and they found that the vehicle needed an "up-dated software package." ----- Now, the vehicle operates like a totally different car. The surging problem is gone, the acceleration is smooth and quick, and I am getting better fuel mileage. ----- From the day that I took delivery on this vehicle, I always felt that I was dragging a "sea anchor" behind the vehicle. The vehicle did not seem to roll freely. Now, after the up date, the performance has improved 100%. While I appreciate the efforts of my dealer, I feel that GM / Chevrolet dropped the ball big time, when they did not advise the owners of these vehicles that an "up-dated software package" was available for installation. ----- (Once I hit 12,000 miles the performance of my vehicle went down hill! While the vehicle did not perform as expected at first, it took 12,000 miles for the "surging issue" to surface! ---- They question is WHY? ---- What happened between delivery and 12,000 miles? ----- Did the existing software become "corrupted" while being in use? ----- Will the new software suffer the same fate in another 12,000 miles? ----- Will this be an "on-going" experience for the life of the vehicle every 12,000 miles?) ----- My dealer is OUTSTANDING! ---- I am now enjoying the vehicle. ------ Best regards. -------- Dwayne :shades: ;):) :confuse:
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A reporter wants to talk with people who expected to get better gas mileage in their relatively new vehicle. Please email pr@edmunds.com by Tuesday, July 19, 2011 with your daytime contact information and a few words about your experience. Thank you.
    My 04 with 3.5 got 35 mpg at times, it fell apart at 40 K so traded.
    Sounds suspicious. That is unless you saw such with multiple tanks in a row, you may have parked so that the fill was not equally full.
    It seems the 3.5 was better on mileage than 3.6.
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    I too have an 04 Maxx LT...and I regularly see 30-32 MPG on the highway over long distances...at 65-70 MPH.....around town I average 24-25 MPG....there was a definite a slight gas mileage drop when they upgraded to the 3.6.....should roll 185K this today or tommorrow....
    Hi All:
    Now that the Chevrolet Dealer has installed the "up-dated software package," my 2010 4 cylinder Chevrolet LTZ Malibu easily get 30 MPG, --- and the performance of the vehicle is outstanding for a four cylinder engine. ------ (This surging problem goes back to the 2009 model year of this vehicle. If this situation has existed with the 2009 models of the Chevrolet Malibu, ------ why did GM produce the 2010 models with the same defective software? ----- Logic would dictate that the new models would get the "updated software package!" It is this attitude that turns off the customer base of a given manufacturer.) ----- Ford has issues with their spark plugs blowing out of their heads, and refuses to correct the problem with their engines. (The defect is in the threads that are cut into the aluminum heads. Ford takes the position that it is a "spark plug problem" and as such, it is NOT covered under the terms of the extended warranty, but the fix is to install a steel threaded sleeve into the spark plug hole. This is an engine head problem, NOT a spark plug problem, but Ford avoids responsibility.) ---- Chrysler has major problems with their 2.7 engines in terms of "engine sludge" and they blame the sludge on the customer even though the owners have changed their oil and filter according to factory recommendations. Some GM engines are burning large quantities of oil and GM tells the customer that it is a normal operating condition. ----- The management of car companies think that they can sell their ideas to their customer base by simply telling the same story over and over again. They forget that many owners are well educated in term of automotive technology. ----- I like my Malibu, BUT I would have liked it better "IF" I DID NOT have to go through the "software experience!" Based on the malfunction of the 2009 Malibu, GM new about the problem, ---- but did nothing to correct the problem with the 2010 production run! This action on their part is showing contempt for the customer. ----- Will I purchase another GM vehicle? ----- I like the Chevrolet line of vehicles. ---- The new 2012 Chevrolet Impala looks very interesting. I like my dealer. They went "out of their way" to correct the problem with the Malibu, and for that I am grateful. It is NOT their fault that GM did not take on the responsibility to correct their production run. ---- The American Manufacturers have come a long way in terms of quality, but they are NOT playing fare with the buying public. They treat the customer in a shabby manner at times. ----- It is time that the American Manufacturer's "wake up" and realize that "if" they want loyalty from their customer base, they must take care of their customers. That translates into taking responsibility for defects in manufacturing. (The customer did not manufacturer the Ford Head. Ford designed the aluminum head, and cut the spark plug threads into that head. If a failure exist, and the customer has an extended warranty, Ford should repair the problem with the head! ------- THIS BUILD CUSTOMER LOYALTY!)

Best Regards. ------------------- Dwayne :shades: ;):)
    I lemoned my 09 with I4 AT6, not for powertrain issues, but a host of related issues most safety concerned. Sticking calipers, defective electric power steering, unsafe handling, and the trio of stabilization stuff that either did not work or was slower to react than I was.
    But shifting was not one of them although mileage seemed to drop a bit past 5k miles. It took some getting used to as to how the vehicle responded, ie how much accelerator to use as conditions changed.
    As part of agreement, I agreed to buy another GM. I got a '11 Buick Lacrosse CSX quite loaded, but no sunroof because I did not want. Required special order to get.
    What a mistake.
    I back up a bit because I've been in lots of loaners through Chev dealer and now Buick. There is no way I'd accept a I4 with AT4 in Malibu. The difference is like moving from I4 to V6 on power. With some modest changes, the I4 AT6 Malibu should be a nice economical vehicle. Of course if you are looking for cheaper, I was put in an Aveo because I refused to accept anything with electric power steering from GM.
    Back to Buick. I'd rather have an Edsel. Likely less problems and once it was fixed I'd have something of value. Not only do the problems keep coming, I'm certain some will never be fixed. Since the gas mileage started dropping 3MPG city and highway as the same time as the loud bang on start that was traced to a defective factory oil filter, I have reason to believe the camshaft train was damaged. A new oil filter stopped the loud bang on start, which was a dry start because oil drained down. But the mileage never recovered and now seems a little strange on top power like a bit of a flutter like you'd get in old days because points were floating.
    But even worse is GM cures, especially in software area. They ruin what works or don't fix.
    case one, seat memory. It would move forward the instant door is opened and stupidly move forward if rear door was opened. After several trips they got it reprogrammed so most of the time it remembers position and it gave a three second delay. After driving a newer loaner, I discoverd it waited five seconds and didn't move ahead when opening rear. I wanted mine the same and took it in.
    Dealer explanation, GM wants them to make all of them alike, and the loaner I was in had a defective side blindzone alert. That is it would not alert until almost to late along with having a spot where someone small, especially motorcycle could hide. They made the loaner, I had it more than once, so that it acted stupid like mine, 3 seconds and rear door activating. Also they made my blindzone alert so it is like the loaner, making it unsafe and untrustable.
    This vehicle has had more problems than any vehicle I've ever owned, used or new, in 45 years. And most of them I had far longer than this one.
    Hi e net rider:

I enjoyed reading your posting! ----- I especially enjoyed your posting dealing with the 2011 Buick Lacrosse. ---- A friend of mind had a 2009 4 cylinder Malibu that had the same problem as my 2010 4 cylinder LTZ Malibu. --- He bought himself out of the lease five months early, because he could no longer drive the vehicle with this problem. ---- He then leased a 2011 Buick Lacrosse and his Buick has a LOUD BANG on start up! (Dry start ups will destroy and engine.) ---- My friend is VERY disappointed with the Buick and GM. QUESTION: ---- Did we forget how to build engines and oil filters? ------ At this point in time my Malibu is operating properly, ---- BUT I have a "feeling" that the "software" will become corrupted with use, and the surging problem will return in another 12,000 miles. (I could also be wrong, and I am hoping that I am wrong.) ----- I am starting to look for a replacement vehicle for my 2007 Toyota Camry. ---- I make it a point to read the postings on Edmunds. (Real life owners will give you the information that you need to make a purchasing decision.) ------ Manufacturers do not understand that customers can share information on the "net," and this information can cost a sale! ---- It takes me a "LONG TIME" to make a purchase. ---- Once I make a short list of vehicles, I then visit dealers solely for the purpose of picking the dealer that I want to do business with in terms of the sale. ----- I refuse to be handled. ----- There are dealers out there who have a "basic script" that they run each customer through! ---- Some dealers will not answer any questions until the customer first takes a test drive. ------ (Customer's forget that they are in the "driver's seat" of the vehicle purchase process.) ----- I would NEVER allow a sales person and / or a sales manager to dictate to me in terms of how the "sales process" will unfold! --- It usually take me at least three (3) visits before I make a commitment to buy! ---- During the first visit, I get the "feel for the dealership" and the sales person. I ask to see the service department and I like to talk to the service manager. I want to know that it is a professional operation. I sit in the vehicle in the showroom, and I ask questions about the vehicle, options and extended warranties. I take the sales person's business card and I thank the person for his / her time. ---- My second visit to the dealership I reserve for a test ride. I engage in more conversation about the dealership, service and options. ----- Based on this second visit, I then schedule a third visit to make the deal. ----- I look for "professionalism" on the part of both the sales and service department. ----- I will not do business with "high pressure" highway dealership operations. ---- When I see that behavior I simply walk. --- With my credit rating I deserve to be treated in a professional manner. ---- GM, Ford and Chrysler needs to understand that there are people like me in the automotive marketplace. ---- We will not be handled, and we will not be sold and forced to accept a vehicle that is not 100% in terms of operational characteristics. ----- There are too many foreign name plates to choose from, so as such, we are not obliged to purchase an American name plate. ---- One of the vehicles that I admire is a Ford Mustang. Why should I purchase a Ford product when the Ford Motor Car Company will not repair their aluminum engine heads when the spark plugs blow out of the engine because of defective threads? ---- If you check the "net" you will see GM engines burning large quantities of engine oil, and GM takes the position that it is normal, and they put the owner of the vehicle through an oil monitoring program, when they know that a problem exists with some of their engines. (If GM wants to retain their market share and increase that number they should fix those engines!) --- I have a 2007 V6 Toyota Camry with 65,000 miles that does not use any oil between oil and filter changes. ( I change the oil & filter at the dealer every 2,500 miles / my choice.) ---- It is time that the manufacturer's take responsibility and fix the vehicles in a professional manner when something goes wrong in production. ---- When I deal with my dealers I am VERY professional with the staff, and I expect to be treated in a similar manner. If I am not treated properly, I spend my money in another place. I personally like the GM products. That is why I purchased the Malibu. But on the other hand, I expect to have the same quality of a Honda Accord. This is a logical expectation for the amount of money being spend on the product! ---- GM is not doing me a favor by selling me a vehicle, rather I am doing GM a favor by purchasing their product over a foreign name plate. The "customer is KING!" This is because the "customer" has the money!

Best Regards. ------------ Dwayne :shades: ;):) :confuse:
    I'm not impressed with Ford's warranty. If there product was good then they should be able to match others. Period.
    I drove by a Ford dealer yesterday and saw a big banner out front that said 10 year, 100K bumper to bumper. I had to turn around in heavy traffic to find out what this was about. Turns out it is a dealer warranty and it sounds like it is in lieu of Ford warranty. Label me suspicious, but it sounds like someone is having to up the warranty to get customers. How it will work when you need it is a big question.

As to your friend with the banging Lacrosse, did he buy or lease?
    Now this is not the exhaust rattle that is common and they replaced my exhaust about two weeks ago. That started after the loud bang. It sounds much like a big hammer on an anvil, very metal to metal.
    I suggest he does his own oil change and retains that oil filter. I might even like to buy it from him. The problem with the filter is easy to spot once removed. Mine was missing the anti-drainback valve which is easy to see if it is there. Mine was not. And I'm holding on to that filter like it is gold. I showed it to several people at dealership and they just shook their heads.
    I questioned one of the owners about them giving feedback to GM on a particular issue, may have been the filter. I was irked that when i called AC Delco they acted like it was not an issue when I was informing them that they needed to check what was going on. The owner said they did give feedback to GM, but they work for GM essentially, GM is much biggger, and 'stuf' flows downhill. (not very encouraging)
    I must say my dealer has been very professional. It is GM that is very lacking and that company definitely needs to go bankrupt. If it is salvageable, it will get sorted out and become stronger. But in current state it is going to shut its doors forever unless it eeks by on the Barnum slogan of a sucker born every minute.
    Mine used very little oil so far. I had my oil tested and it had high amounts of many metals, which did not concern testers because it was break-in oil. But they were alarmed about high gasoline content. I will be changing again soon and definitely test.
    I know people with foreign vehicles that have only required routine maintenance out past 60K miles and unless their luck changes it looks like they'll make at least 100K without even needing a brake job. Yet I've had sticking calipers on two new GMs less than 10K. I had maintained myself until the last couple of weeks. Now I'm so mad I'd like to see a bunch of GM nitwits FUBAR.
    Good Morning E Net Rider:

Thank you for your posting! ---- (If you want to communicate with me outside of this forum, my profile has my E-mail address. Please feel free to use that address.)

My friend, (who has the Buick Lacrosse), leased this vehicle. At this point in time, he is on vacation, and he is aware of the exhaust noise, but he does not know about the oil filter / anti drain back valve issue! (He is NOT going to be a happy camper.) ----- I will try to get in contact with him today.

Best regards! ------------- Dwayne :shades: ;):) :confuse:
    Hi All:

As you know from my previous postings I own two vehicles. (A 2007 V6 XLE Toyota Camry, and a 2010 Chevrolet LTZ 4 cylinder Malibu, both with a six speed transmission.) ---- Today I took my Camry to Atlantic City, using the New Jersey Turnpike and the Garden State Parkway. ---- My average speed was about 60 MPH for the entire trip. The V6 Camry averaged 33.5 MPG. My Malibu might get close to that mileage, but is DOES NOT have the performance of the Camry, and both vehicles have a 6 speed automatic transmission, and both vehicle use 87 octane fuel. -------- QUESTION: ---- While I enjoy driving both vehicles, ---- what does Toyota know about engine design that GM DOES NOT KNOW? ---- If a V6 engine can get 33.5 MPG at 60 MPH, then a 4 cylinder should be able to do much better!

Best regards. -------------- Dwayne :shades: ;):)