Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hybrids & Diesels - Deals or Duds?

19495969798100»

Comments

• winter2winter2 Member Posts: 1,801
    I believe we will see the Ranger and trucks like them in the next few years. I believe Ford and others are letting companies like Daimler and VW break the ice with their diesels and they want to see how the American public responds to them.

I think they will sell well. If VW had a waiting list for their diesel powered vehicles and Daimler-Chrysler sold way more Jeep Liberty CRD's than they originally planned, and all of this with almost no advertising dollars spent on them, then if they advertise them, who knows what will happen.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Funny how Ford can design a decent vehicle for the rest of the world and crap on the country that made them what they are. Ford has never offered a crew cab version of the Ranger here. That ugly Exploder crewcab. We get so much junk like that in this country. The Ridgeline and Avalanche were BIG disappointments. I guess the rest of the world really get a laugh at what we will settle for in vehicles. It is clear to me that the EPA and CARB do not want us to use less fuel. They put up roadblocks to anything that looks like it would save on fossil fuel. Then the push full sized flex fuel vehicles. What a joke they are.
  • danogodanogo Member Posts: 2
    We are talking about gasoline engines. Why? Is it me or is all of America just stupid? I am old enough to remeber 5 block long lines at gas stations in the early 80's during the first oil shortage. If you have a senator or congressperson in your district still in office they should be shot for treason. And you should be feeling a little negligent right now. We knew then there was a NATIONAL SECURITY issue with global oil suppliers. At that point we should have had our government created huge disincentives for gasoline vehicle manufacturers and a huge incentives for alternative fuel vehicle manufacturers.

So with that in mind...Better late than never. A diesel hybrid is the greatest opportunity for a renewable resource fuel transition vehicle.(Transition-to get us to the next mobile fuel resource) As we ALL KNOW internal combustion is a no go for the long term, but for the next ten years... Hey we can grow our own fuel(biodiesel)and burn less of it(in a hybrid)and produce anywhere from 1/4 to 1/10th the greenhouse gases of gasoline engines. And if we don't want to grow it, it can be grown almost anywhere, creating a competative supply that is always available. That sounds like real solution to me. Check it.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/05/28/bloomberg/sxhonda.php
    http://www.greencarcongress.com/2006/09/honda_previews_.html

Of course it's a foreign corp that is moving on this first.

Puleeeeez stop voting your religion or your own selfish ends and start voting your love for: your fellow man, your community, your country, and of course your planet. This is about EVERYONE not just you or just your friends or your football team. The politicians don't want us to find common ground they want us to be trivially divided so they can serve their masters(corporations;national & international)and keep giving themselves pay raises, while voting down increases in minimum wage. Working class America can vote people into office that represent us not our corporations or religions. Or don't and keep taking it(no matter who you are except the top 1/10% of the income bracket).
  • highenderhighender Member Posts: 1,358
    I agree....

Right after 9-11, when all commmercial aircraft were grounded.....all the skies cleared up and SMOG went down precipitaciously, causing researchers to think that directly putting all that pollution up there is the main cause of our pollution problems...
  • jkinzeljkinzel Member Posts: 735
    Very well spoken and I must agree with you. I did take offence of the (Is it me or is all of America just stupid?), but then after giving it some thought and the total failure of our educational system; I’ll go 40/40/20 with you. Ignorance and oblivion account for 40% and apathy the other 40%. 20% of us really care, but the lack of a forum prevents us from making much of a difference.

It appears that change is in the wind and we might see good things come out of a few auto makers in the form of diesels.
    They absolutely hate my broken-record posts. Over and over and over and over again, I sight the emission ratings. Not changing the subject makes them absolutely crazy.

I agree that diesels spew more exhaust gases that are dirtier , compared to the prius. Biodiesel is much better, but like you point out, sometimes it still may spew a bit more...depending on the engine, and the makeup of the biodiesel. Also, I think you mean 'cite', and not 'sight'.

The future scares them. They fear the computer industry, knowing it is doing everything in its power to improve battery technology. So whether or not the automotive industry invests in research, they'll end up with better (higher power density and lower prices) anyway. They don't have to do anything. The by-product of portable computers, cell-phones, MP3 players, bluetooth devices, digital cameras, DVD players, etc. will be something the hybrids will also take advantage of.

While I like the better tech...do not forget that this increase in tech also makes for more possibility of breakdowns. I once lost my Prius keys at Great America Amusement park, and had no backup key that AAA could make...( AAA will make free plastic emergency keys for its members) But it will not work on PRiuses.

And of course for spite, I sometimes point out how biodiesel causes increased NOx emissions.

did you count all the extra pollution it takes to make a Prius, with its two engines and spare parts...plus all the extra batteries ? must be a ton of extra NOx emissions there.....not to mention you are burning a lot of nonrenewable resources in the PRIUS.

Better be more careful driving your Prius...as it costs more to insure....and maybe...just maybe....it stops too slow...so that the majoirty of Prius for sale on ebay...most have front end damage from running into other cars...? I am not sure if this is true...but after 6 months of research...it seems like Prius' have a disproportionate number of front end accidents....just my 2 cents...

I have no problem with Priuses....I like toyota and we had a Previa for 10 years, and a Camry for 7 yrs.
    ""If you have a senator or congressperson in your district still in office they should be shot for treason. And you should be feeling a little negligent right now. We knew then there was a NATIONAL SECURITY issue with global oil suppliers. At that point we should have had our government created huge disincentives for gasoline vehicle manufacturers and a huge incentives for alternative fuel vehicle manufacturers. ""

YOu are oversimplifying the situation, IMO, using hindsight which nobody has ahead of time. NO one wanted to have a hybrid back then...not even you. The oil shortage back then was a political problem more than a supply one.

" A diesel hybrid is the greatest opportunity for a renewable resource fuel transition vehicle.(Transition-to get us to the next mobile fuel resource) As we ALL KNOW internal combustion is a no go for the long term, but for the next ten years... Hey we can grow our own fuel(biodiesel)and burn less of it(in a hybrid.....""

Here I agree with you. I was shopping for a hybrid or diesel, and settled on the diesel. I would buy a turbo hybrid diesel if one were available....

""Puleeeeez stop voting your religion or your own selfish ends

That is a rather broad statement...and not taking into account alot of things that are more important than gasoline.

and start voting your love for: your fellow man, your community, your country, and of course your planet. This is about EVERYONE not just you or just your friends or your football team.

Here I agree...we should all be united..as Americans !! and get the terrorists who bombed us and will think nothing of doing the same to you...

The politicians don't want us to find common ground they want us to be trivially divided so they can serve their masters(corporations;national & international)and keep giving themselves pay raises, while voting down increases in minimum wage. Working class America can vote people into office that represent us not our corporations or religions. Or don't and keep taking it(no matter who you are except the top 1/10% of the income bracket).

Why don't we vote to give everyone a raise to $30 an hour, and watch what remains of US industrial production go down the tubes and go to another country, eh ? You want us to commit economic suicide ? I thinnk not. Well, we cannot all get paid alot when the rest of the world is just aching to get any job for less than what we are willing to settle for..and they will do it while putting in 110% of their time....(Not that they have anything else to live for...)

86% of Americans believe in GOD. Most even understand that you cannot give a person who produces inferior products, a raise.

I wish that it were different, but the facts are not what you said...and your statements , IMHO, do not answer those problems...but will make our country worst.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    >after giving it some thought and the total failure of our educational system

What total failure. You've been listening to Rush too much. How does this relate to diesels?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Your comments are much closer to my way of looking at our country. I would add that until we have term limits we will end up with leaders that are self serving. It is our nature.

You did not get any response to your comment about aircraft pollution. Just as a reminder jet airplanes burn diesel fuel. It is number one diesel or commonly referred to as Jet A. Because of the low temperatures in the Arctic our diesel supplier only sold #1 diesel. He was also the supplier for the airlines with Jet A. They would drain off the Jet A tanks on occasion into the diesel tanks to filter out any dirt or water. Because of government regulations fuel for aircraft has to be certified as Jet A. This fuel still has a rather high sulfur content. No one wants to mess with the aircraft industry so that pollution will continue for a long time.

Meanwhile the citizen that wants to cut consumption and GHG is not given any real choices.
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    Also there are numerous studies that indicate burning of fuels, such as jet A (high sulfur fuels) at cruising altitude 25,000-45,000 feet pollutes EXPONENTIALLY GREATER than at sea level. Interestingly enough, environmentalists advocate mass transit such as aircraft travel!!!?? Green Peace also runs a ship that burns, (again many times) higher sulfur fuel. (3000 ppm) The USA government also operates the LARGEST unscheduled airlines and ship fleets which, yup you guessed it, uses higher sulfur fuels.

One also does not have to be a rocket scientist to do the math here. How many gals of 15 ppm diesel do I have to burn to equal 1 gal of 3000 ppm diesel fuel?
  • jkinzeljkinzel Member Posts: 735
    Rush who?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Well, we've somehow turned this discussion from hybrids and diesels into hybrids versus diesels, which wasn't the intent. Time to move along, so feel free to join one of these discussions, based on your interests:
    Is this the Day of the Diesel?
    one of the many general hybrid discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

This discussion has been closed.