Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

98 RAM 1500 4X4 Premature Brake Wear?

vaportrailvaportrail Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Dodge
I had to have front brake pads AND rotors replaced
on My 98 Ram 1500 4X4. It is less than 2 years old
and has 21K miles. No towing, hauling, etc.. just
normal driving to and from work. Personally, I
thought the wear was premature and excessive,
considering the driving conditions. Of course, the
repairs were NOT covered under the 3 year bumper to
bumper warranty. Is this the result of normal wear
and tear for 21K miles or should I pursue it
further with the manufacturer? Your feedback would
be appreciated.

Comments

• davids1davids1 Member Posts: 411
    I put 33,000 + miles on a 97 Ram. It still had the original pads on it when I traded and they were in very good shape. I would keep after them.
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    known for crappy brakes and trannys.

...and I'm not saying this cuz I'm a GM man...it's the truth. Keep on them..

- Tim
  • jcmdiejcmdie Member Posts: 594
    The front brakes wear out if the rear brakes are not kept in adjustment. They should be adjusted every oil change. Rotors should not need replacing unless you let the brakes go too long after hearing the wear indicaters.
    ...must be a Dodge thing....

- Tim
    It is sort of- but only on the Delco produced for dodge rear brakes. Dakota does not have this problem, nor do they have Delco rear brakes. Ultimately its Dodges fault for buying and installing brakes made by thier competitors.
    then why do my Delco brakes not require this?

uh huh

any more answers?

- Tim
    perhaps GM is selling them their old style brakes...from the 60's....you know...to match the rest of the Dodge mechanical technology!

- Tim
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    I think GM brakes from the 60's adjusted automatically whenever you back up and put on the brakes. You need to go back to the 50's to get the brakes that need to be manually adjusted. But give Dodge a "break" at least their engine design is from the 70's.
    - Tim
    Actually the brakes are supposed to self adjust when you back up. They just don't work. I suspect 4 wheel disks will be in the 2002 model.
  • cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    if that is the case, its not the brakes

Its Dodges self adjuster that doesn't work right.

Dodge is pretty notorious for this, nonetheless. Vaportrail, I have heard of folks getting this work done under warranty, so stay on your dealer about it.

I am unsure, legally, if brake wear qualifies for warranty, since it is like tires, a wear item.
    What GM makes for dodge is the entire assembly, including the adjusters. The dakota has the same type of system but made by dodge and it works. I don't know if its poor manufacturing (GM) or design (Dodge).
  • cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    ahh, I see.

Don't know how to fix, only that folks have to live with it.

I wonder where exactly the design came from? All the GM truck self adjusters work fine, and have for years.
    I know. The best fix is- LETS HAVE WHHEL DISC BRAKES. Do you think dodge heard me?
  • wwhite2wwhite2 Member Posts: 535
    jcmdie do you think they care ??
  • geno7geno7 Member Posts: 10
    The new 2500 & 3500 Ram pickups showing up now on the dealer lots have 4 wheel disc brakes. They are also antilocks. I have been told by more than several dealers that Allison has helped Dodge beef uo their automatic transmissions. Stomping on those 4 wheel disc brakes brought the 2500 Ram Quad cab to a quick halt. A good sure feel to them.
    Thats good to know that they are improving. As to do they care - sure they care. They are sales driven and if they don't try to please the buying public, they will go elsewhere. They got a hell of a sales boost in thier trucks since '94 but that is petering out. They need to stay on top of it or lose customers.

I own a '98 dodge 1500 and like it. My next truck will be a 3/4 ton and a purchase within two years is inevitable. If I had to make a decision today on a 3/4 ton, dodge would lose.
  • abaltoabalto Member Posts: 22
    That questions and technical advice web site...

I have also looked for a good Dodge web site to ask questions and technical advice, opinions, etc. The best site I have found is www.moparchat.com This site is clearly the best in quality, with over 60,000 posts! Good luck either way Trevor!
    There is good info on that board but is so very slow operating it about puts me to sleep.
  • meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
    After 30 or more days of inactivity....

this topic is being "frozen." It will be archived or deleted in the next 10 days or so.

Front Porch Philosopher
    SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host
This discussion has been closed.