Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Front Porch Philosopher

2»

Comments

• Options
    mahimahimahimahi Member Posts: 497
    Ok Ct, Didn't like that point? Well, what about the number of recalls or TSB's? So now we take the customer complaints out and bring the number of items the manufacturer themselves say needs corrected. I quite certain that you'll find that there are more of these for the domestics. I completely understand your point about the more sales the more complaints. The key to my point, and maybe this is where we crossed, is that it's not all the same problems. There numerous problems with many people. What we would see with your point(being higher sales numbers equal higher number of complaints)if alot of the same problem. What I'm talking about here is not the TOTAL number of complaints but rather the total number of DIFFERENT complaints.
  • Options
    cthompson21cthompson21 Member Posts: 1,102
    I'm sure that I don't need to explain to you that we don't have a representative sample of the population posting on this board. To even argue about something like this would be stupid.

Then, there's the whole general attitude of foreign vs. domestic. If you have a domestic vehicle and it breaks down, it's just expected (so say the import owners). An owner of a domestic would openly admit to a failure. If you have an import and it breaks down, then it's just a fluke (also so say the import owners). The import owner would never openly admit to a failure and just dismisses it as some sort of fluke. It's just two trains of thought.
  • Options
    To compare numbers of TSB's is completely useless. Different manufacturers use them for different things. Ford uses them to explain to their mechanics how to fix certain things, and they use them to distribute other info too.

It seems that import companies either see TSB's as a negative things, or they use a different system for distributing info.
  • Options
    cncmancncman Member Posts: 487
    Hey CT;
    good to see you here, actually, Nissan, Toyota and Honda use the same system, and yes a TSB is not necessarily a bad thing, it is basically a newsletter that gives updates and such, but the majority of them have to do with some "known issue" with the vehicles listed. There is stuff in there from a better way to change wiper blades to safety recalls, I think you really need to look at the number and type of recalls, I myself had a recall on my frontier when it came out, there was a clip for the AC line that could start rubbing the line, took 5 minutes to replace and saved my AC most likely, this are the kinds of recalls I don't mind. But you have to admit, especially lately all of the MAJOR recalls ford has had lately, (I will leave the firestone tires out, I don't blame ford unless they really covered it up.) Look at the reason you can't get a manual transmission Sport trac, look at the missed paint jobs on them and the leaky roofs, Look at the number of recalls on the escape and it hasn't really been out yet, and some serious stuff, steering wheels falling off, forgeting to put ABS in them, so how does this fit in with your theory about the owners complaining and domestic vs foreign owners? It really doesn't, these are inexcusable quality problems before they even get to a customers hands to complain about it. Why isn't Nissan or Honda or Toyota in the news with things similar to this, the media loves to jump on stuff like that.
  • Options
    "Why isn't Nissan or Honda or Toyota in the news
    with things similar to this?"

Well, Nissan, Honda, and Toyota iron out the pre-production bugs before putting the vehicles out on the lots.

It seems that Ford and Chrysler just gets the car/truck to market as quickly as possible and then corrects the problems as they arise. Just look at the Focus and the Escape. I do think that this is a stupid way of doing things.

I think GM does just about the same except that they don't bother to fix the problems. :^D

As a general rule, I never buy a vehicle if it is in its first year of production or major redesign.

Also, take a look at import line-ups to domestic line-ups. Domestics have more unique vehicles with less shared parts. Domestics also seem to "turn over" more frequently. Import line-ups are smaller and share many parts (engines, trannies, etc...) and they don't turn over as frequently. They just tweak a platform to fix problems. Domestics seem to wait until the major redesign to correct some of these problems.
  • Options
    wdoyle9752wdoyle9752 Member Posts: 73
    Some of their cars have a problem with thier passenger airbag. It seems it deploys without reason.

GM's fix: move the seat back as far a possible because they can't get enough parts until november or december so the recall can begin.

At we all can agree that GM is bottom of the line in terms of reliability.

And people thought Ford handled the tire recall badly (which wasn't even their fault).
  • Options
    croy2croy2 Member Posts: 45
    It is a proven fact that domestic makers work out the bugs after the vehicle has gone to market. In the case of some vehicles, such as the Ranger, many bugs can't be worked out. If you own a Ranger, good accessories would be a good pair of ear muff (to conceal rattles) and a nice pair of walking shoes.

Ya, I know Vince, some Rangers have more torque than my Frontier. I really don't give a F about this fact. Find some other feature where the Ranger beats the Frontier. LOL Kitty.
  • Options
    It's quite obvious that you've never even ridden in a Ranger.

For one, they don't rattle. For a < 20,000 vehicle (and a truck at that), their interiors are downright impressive in both ergonomics and build quality.

The Frontier's interior (at least for the pre-01's) is functional but rather boring and border looking cheap.

Secondly, Rangers ARE reliable. You can find all of the anti-Ford links that you like. I couldn't care less. They haven't got a thing to do with the truck sitting out on my driveway. You've got the same chances of walking home driving a Ranger that you do driving a Frontier.

Finally, tell me these "proven facts" about problems not being addressed and corrected in Rangers.

Oh wait, that's right. You can't. There aren't any.
  • Options
    Reliability, reliability, reliability, reliability.

This is the only thing that I ever hear import owners talking about when it comes to their trucks.

Don't you guys like any of the other aspects of your trucks? Or, do you just jump in, hit the gas, and start chanting "reliability, reliability, reliability."

I think that a few of you guys jump in and start chanting "Ford sucks, Ford sucks, Ford sucks." I've never really understood hatred of a certain brand and the need to bash it. Maybe buyer's remorse, insecurity, or immaturity? Hmmm...

I guess when I walk out and get in my truck I think quite differently. I admire its good looks and well engineered and built interior. I love to hear the exhaust note when I fire it up (thanks to the Gibson cat-back). I step on the gas and feel the mounds of torque press me into the seatback. I enjoy its leisurely cruising speeds and firm ride (my preference).

When I see some other brand of truck, I don't feel some dumb hatred. I admire it for what things it does best. For instance, I think Nissan has the ONLY quad cab that looks good on the market today. I don't wish its owner any ill will (like burning alive in his truck like I've seen people post on this board about Ranger owners).
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    people like vince8 and f150rules....LOL!!
  • Options
    scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    Ok, you Nissan whiners, just face it you bought the compact truck lowest on the food chain!! LOL!
    Enjoy your weak 3.3 and 2.4's. Ford has 3 engines, but I guess you don't want to mention that huh? Nor do you want to mention a 3.0 is only about 300 dollars more than a 2.5, Nor will you then mention a 3.0 has 150HP and 192f/lbs of torque, is available in ANY Ford RAnger, Along with its 4.0 is Available in ANY Ford RAnger..
    Rangers rule! The Frontier doesn't even make the top 30!! LOL as far as sales numbers.. Nor has ANY Nissan truck even broke the top 25 mark in sales, Why Cncman? If the Nissan is so superior why after over 15 years hasn't Nissan taken the number one spot in sales? Sales do matter as much as all of you want to try to say they don't. Sales make money! Something Nissan hasn't done for years! LOL...
    Yes, I smoked one of your precious 4 door high tech 3.3 Frontiers with my older pushrod 4.0!
    See you in the Cascades
    Oh, I don't see Frontiers up there, they can't make it!! LOL....
  • Options
    You don't buy a truck because you dislike another truck. You buy a trucky because it has the qualities you desire. If I wanted a Ranger I would have bought one. Simply put everytime I think of a Ranger, I think how stupid you act.

Vince, do you go up to Nissan owners in person and tell them how stupid they are for buying a Nissan. You don't even have the guts to do it...

You are the retard that says Ford is better than everything which is simply not possible.

If the v-6 upgrade is so cheap, why do most consumers still buy the 4cyl?

In any case my 2.4cyl can grill the joke 2.5 any day. LOL.

The difference is Vince, You're more inclined to attack our frontiers, but we're more inclined to attack your stupidity!!!
  • Options
    goobagooba Member Posts: 391
    vince said over all the boards:

Gooba, you are so lame! I really must have pissed
    you off when I showed you just how weak, cheap and
    where the Frontier stood in the compact truck food
    chain, at the bottom! LOL... Also, a solid diff
    is
    better, ask any offroad shop. Just goes to prove
    once again, you don't offroad. When the Ranger
    switched in 97 there was quite a controversy.
    And why don't you tell everyone here what the 0=60
    times are for your 3.3 Supercharged bandaid? How
    about 9.5-9.9!! LOL... Why can't Nissan make a
    naturally aspirated engine to compete with
    Ford/GM/Toyota? Can you imagine a Supercharged
    SOHC
    4.0 in a RAnger?? it would absolutely trounce
    your weak 3.3 Supercharged! LOL....

Once again, Bad Vince, for being happy with your
    Ranger...
    Good gooba, cncman, mahi, for liking your Nissan.
    Same old story, never ends, Ford bad, Nissan good.
    I just pissed you guys off showing you why the
    Ranger is NUMERO UNO, number one for those of you
    who don't speak two languages..
    Live with your choice and don't challange any 4.0
    5spd Rangers with those weak 3.3's. And another
    word of advise, Really, don't challange any new
    SOHC 4.0 Rangers... LOL@!!

Mahi, your kidding yourself along with anyone who
    knows about towing. A 4,000 lb boat with a truck
    that has 170HP and 200ft/lbs of torque! LOL! Nice
    story. Anyone can do the math, the two don't add
    up. Add your truck weight, people weight, gear
    weight...Yes, it may be able to barely pull it,
    but
    not as you wish or dream......
    "laughing" how about grunting.... LOL!!!!

Ok, you Nissan whiners, just face it you bought
    the compact truck lowest on the food chain!! LOL!
    Enjoy your weak 3.3 and 2.4's. Ford has 3
    engines, but I guess you don't want to mention
    that
    huh? Nor do you want to mention a 3.0 is only
    about 300 dollars more than a 2.5, Nor will you
    then mention a 3.0 has 150HP and 192f/lbs of
    torque, is available in ANY Ford RAnger, Along
    with
    its 4.0 is Available in ANY Ford RAnger..
    Rangers rule! The Frontier doesn't even make the
    top 30!! LOL as far as sales numbers.. Nor has
    ANY
    Nissan truck even broke the top 25 mark in sales,
    Why Cncman? If the Nissan is so superior why
    after
    over 15 years hasn't Nissan taken the number one
    spot in sales? Sales do matter as much as all of
    you want to try to say they don't. Sales make
    money! Something Nissan hasn't done for years!
    LOL...
    Yes, I smoked one of your precious 4 door high
    tech 3.3 Frontiers with my older pushrod 4.0!
    See you in the Cascades
    Oh, I don't see Frontiers up there, they can't
    make it!! LOL....

Anybody see a pattern?
  • Options
    goobagooba Member Posts: 391
    I find it hard to believe somebody getting overly excited about an engine that has 740 more cc's or 45 more cubic inches,but having less hrsepower and only 25 ft/lbs of torque more then the Nissan.Just does not seem like an efficient use of engine size.
  • Options
    yeah, even if Vince had a 6 liter engine that gave the same performance as his 4.0. He'd still be telling us how much more superior his truck is.
  • Options
    meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
    I shouldn't work when I'm tired....

This topic is a corrected continuation of Topic 1932....

Frontier vs Ranger - III. Please continue these discussions here. Thanks!

Front Porch Philosopher
    SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host
This discussion has been closed.