Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda3 Real World MPG

Comments

• dridedride Member Posts: 139
    I agree, that is great mileage! I am thrilled to be getting about 30 w/ a 75(hwy)/25(Cty) mix.
  • zskzsk Member Posts: 2
    I just gassed up for the first time yesterday. I have a 2005 Mazda3 5 door with the AT. Averaged 27.2 split about 60% highway, 40% city. Air condintioner running and didn't baby it at all.
  • the1maddogthe1maddog Member Posts: 20
    2005 M3S 5 door w/ MT

240 miles on 7.3 gals = 32.88 mpg
    100% hwy (90% cruising 60-80 mph & 10% stop-n-go), no A/C

first time i saw my fuel economy exceed 30 mpg. made me a happy camper! :)
  • chiefjojochiefjojo Member Posts: 39
    I am looking at selling my 4Runner and buying a used (probably 2005) Mazda 3S hatch (manual). Part of the reason for me to do this is the gas mileage benefits, which seem to be limited based on the comments here. It's a little bit disappointing actually that a 4 cylinder hatchback can't get better mpg number than what most people are seeing. My goal for my next vehicle is a ~50% increase in efficiency over my 4R (18/23), which would be in the range of 27/34, but I can settle for 25/32 on the hatch, but it seems that is unrealistic. What is it reasonable to expect?
  • slate1slate1 Member Posts: 84
    I tell everyone that if MPG is your primary concern - the Mazda3 is probably not the way to go. You really can't have your cake and eat it too in this game. A car is either exceptionally fuel efficient (the Fit for example) or it performs well (the Mazda3).

The Mazda3 is geared for performance over efficiency - plain and simple. That's not to say it's not a fuel efficient car. It is - especially for the amount of performance it affords. It's exceptional, in fact, for its performance level. Hope that makes sense.

If you're looking for a reliable fuel efficient hatch - something like the base Toyota Matrix (30/36MPG) or the new Honda Fit (33/38MPG) are going to be the way to go. However, they're a snooze to drive compared to the Mazda3.
    I wish Mazda put the 2.0 in the hatch! That would be right up my alley. All the handling performance with improved milage of the i version in a hatchback package. The sedan doesn't quite do it for me like the hatch in terms of styling or practicality. I am a big fan of this car, so I may have to compromise and go for the 3S 2.3H despite the underwhelming fuel economy.
  • slate1slate1 Member Posts: 84
    I understand where you're coming from and I find it odd they don't offer the 2.0 in the hatch at all.

I've got the 3S-GT Sedan (hey! no more sedan bashing now!! ;) )and love it. There's no other car on the market that performs this well, with these amenities (Leather, Xenon HID's, Automatic Climate Control, Navigation, etc.) at this price point.

I drove the 2.0 3i when test driving and could have lived with either engine. There's a noticeable performance boost going to the 2.3 but it's not like the 2.0 is a slouch. The new Civic seemed like it was draging a bucket 'o lead compared to the 2.0 3i.
  • gib11gib11 Member Posts: 47
    I have the hatch, and it averages 30mi/gal 80% highway, which is very good for a 2.3l with big numbers compared to other cars in the same category.
  • jerchrijerchri Member Posts: 6
    '06 Mazda 3i Touring
    First fill up after 396.4 miles. 12.37 gallons.
    32.05 MPG
    60% Highway/40% City

Not too shabby. Still babying it, of course, while it's in the break-in period.
  • the1maddogthe1maddog Member Posts: 20
    like you, i wished mazda offered the hatch w/ the 2.0. however depending on your driving habits including how much you're using the A/C, the 2.3 can deliver very good fuel economy. just as some of the other owners experienced, i've got the MT hatch and get between 30-32 mpg in 80% freeway driving at speeds btwn 70-90mph. if i keep it at around 70, i'm at 32-33 mpg. if i'm in a hurry and keep the speedo needle nestled btwn 80-90mph, my fuel economy drops to 30-31 mpg. my wife drives hatch w/ AT and consistently sees between 29-31 mpg on the freeway w/ a significant amount of rush hour traffic. we don't use AC very often.

so as you can see, the fuel economy of the 2.3 is not bad at all. and it's a full on blast to drive especially on winding roads! you can carry some serious speed through corners!
  • madvey333madvey333 Member Posts: 4
    06 Mazda 3 i touring
    5,000 miles now and averaging 30 mpg on roughly a 50/50 split

On anther note and posted in the wrong forum. After driving, espically after longer distances, when I stop and the car is idle, there is a low key buzz that will go away when I start moving again. I think i read in another post that this may be the power steering, Can anyone explain?

Other than the buzz have had no problems and my mpg has gone up slightly as i break the car in
  • path4path4 Member Posts: 24
    Does your 4R really get 18/23 ? If it does, I say, keep it. People mentioned Matrix. As a matrix owner, I can tell you it gets about 20mpg for city driving, and I don't drive fast. My pilot can get as low as 11mpg. Real life mpg is a big myth, especially for local driving. One should be glad to achieve the local EPA mpg on highway. My pilot always does that, but my matrix sometimes does not. Anyway, I have my eyes set on the MS3.
  • duff333duff333 Member Posts: 41
    Good morning all. Just purchased a 3i Touring with the 5-speed. In rather conservation driving during the brakin period and about 65/35 highway driving I got 33.75 mpg on 324 miles at 9.6 gals. Not bad! The 2.0 offers a great balance between performance and mileage. Hoping to come close to these numbers in the future - - we'll see!

Mark
  • jerchrijerchri Member Posts: 6
    I do notice a buzz similar to what you describe while idling as well. It gets a bit louder as I turn the wheel, so it makes sense that it's the power steering. For me it's present the second I start the car.
    Does your 4R really get 18/23 ? If it does, I say, keep it. Yes. 18 with 100% city driving and 23 with 100% highway driving, but I probably average only 19 or 20 in mixed driving. It's not only the improved mileage I want... also would like to get my payments down on a cheaper, efficient, fun, practical, and hopefully just as reliable car --> that screams HATCHBACK!. I walk to work so I don't really need a large vehicle expense right now, and I have been a fan of the 3 hatch since it came out. The 4R is great for some things like camping, off-roading and I can sleep in the back, but I rarely do those things, and the price of gas has me thinking about downsizing. If there existed a Mz3 Hatch 2.0 manual with SABC I'd buy it today.
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    If there existed a Mz3 Hatch 2.0 manual with SABC I'd buy it today.

Actually that sounds like the previous generation Mazda Protege5 2.0. Still lots of fun to drive and for far less cash. It is also highly rated for reliability and delivers 25 mpg overall according to Consumer Reports (and according to my calculations).
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    "If there existed a Mz3 Hatch 2.0 manual with SABC I'd buy it today. "

Add ABS and I would also buy one today. As it stands Mazda is not even on my short list. The 2.3 uses too much gas (the Accord even does better ) and I want a hatch or wagon.
    The 2.3 uses too much gas (the Accord even does better ) and I want a hatch or wagon.

Really? What are the fuel efficiency numbers for the Accord? According to Consumer Reports the 2.0L Mazda3 has respectable overall fuel economy; unfortunately CR does not provide statistics for the 2.3L Mazda3.
  • bradford1bradford1 Member Posts: 7
    Most recent fillups: April 14, 5.48 gallons, 199 miles, 36.31 mpg, 85 percent highway, 15 city; April 25, 5.67 for 167 miles, 29.45 mpg, 75 percent city, 25 highway; May 3, 4.98 for 166 miles, 33.33 mpg, 70 city/30 highway; May 12, 5.88, 183 miles, 31.12 mpg, 40 city, 60 highway. Overall for first 2285 miles, 66.24 gallons, 33.5 mpg.
  • waygrabowwaygrabow Member Posts: 214
    When I read about the Mazda3 S not being fuel efficient, I am left wondering what is going on. With over 30,000 miles on my 2004 MT, it is averaging about 35 mpg. The lowest mpg it has recorded in the past year was about 34 mpg. The first tank full of gas gave 30 mpg and efficiency quickly improved from that point. On 100% highway it has achieved 39 mpg. I routinely drive 400+ miles between fillups and, on the highway, think I could go over 500 miles. Before you start thinking I drive like grandma, explain my two speeding tickets last year (that has slowed me down). Yes, I avoid stop and go; I have a commute route on county roads that has few stops and averages 45-60 mph, but my wife also takes the Mazda to the mall. People may not achieve the same results that I do, but the car does not inherently have poor fuel efficiency. By the way, I have a neighbor who has a 2005 Mazda3S MT and averages 34 mpg. He drives alot on the interstate and maintains higher average speeds than I do.
  • heel2toeheel2toe Member Posts: 149
    The 3s AT only had a 4 speed transmission through MY 2005. I don't own one of these, but forum postings seem to validate that it was reving a lot on the highway, and that probably contributed to uninspiring MPG numbers.

The 2006 3s AT comes with a 5 speed, which seem to make the situation better.
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    My last tank -12.6 gallons 235 miles = 18.65 MPG -

Mostly city - 90% of the time AC was on -

just to compare -

Filled up my Tahoe (5.3L V8) today - 23.9 gallons 429 miles = 17.95 MPG mix of city & highway - AC on most of the time.

So my 4 banger Mazda3 is getting almost 3/4 of a mile per gallon more then my full size SUV!
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    "Really? What are the fuel efficiency numbers for the Accord? According to Consumer Reports the 2.0L Mazda3 has respectable overall fuel economy; unfortunately CR does not provide statistics for the 2.3L Mazda3. "

Reading my full post would have made it clear that I was referring the the 2.3 vs the Accord. :shades: :)

Yes the 2.0 is more efficient (that is why I would like to see it in the hatch). While the 2.3 does OK getting mid 30's on the highway, CR got the auotmatic Accord at 38 mpg on the highway (manual should do better still) and the manual 3i at 42 mpg on the highway.
    Yes the 2.0 is more efficient (that is why I would like to see it in the hatch). While the 2.3 does OK getting mid 30's on the highway, CR got the auotmatic Accord at 38 mpg on the highway (manual should do better still) and the manual 3i at 42 mpg on the highway.

Interesting. Is there a particular reason why you post the highway numbers and not the overall MPG? Consumer Reports shows only the overall MPG on its website; that's where we find the Accord 4 cyl. EX gets 24 mpg compared to the Mazda3i 2.0L at 27 mpg.

There are two reasons I can think of that the Mazda3 2.3 litre is used in the hatch: a) the hatch is a heavier vehicle (between 150# and 200# I recollect) and b) the hatch is considered a step up from the sedan. This may be a carryover from the previous generation Protege sedan and hatch; the hatch, i.e. the Protege5, was the most expensive of the bunch.

I agree with you that Mazda should reconsider its offerings in light of the escalating fuel costs. A lighter vehicle with a more fuel efficient engine sounds like a winning formula to me.
    "I agree with you that Mazda should reconsider its offerings in light of the escalating fuel costs. A lighter vehicle with a more fuel efficient engine sounds like a winning formula to me."
    I just refueled my Mazda3s yesterday, 434.1 miles and 12.0 gallons, for 36+ mpg. Seems like a fuel efficient engine to me. With 160 HP I do wonder if this car couldn't use a 6-speed transmission and slightly lower (numerically) gearing to reduce rpms and further improve gas mileage. But that would probably increase the price. It has great handling for an economy car. Now that my car's A/C is finally functioning, it has everything I wanted. Although I have been thinking about AWD.....
  • nifty56nifty56 Member Posts: 279
    autonomous, what was the problem with your A/C? what was done to it to now finally function. was it weak?
    thanks
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    The wife says hers is weak also. What was your fix?

The Sandman :confuse:
  • papito289papito289 Member Posts: 1
    I am consistently getting about 18-20 mpg with my 2006 2.0AT in 50-50 city/highway (230-270 miles per tank). I am quite disappointed with these numbers, although once I got almost 32 mpg on a long highway trip averaging 75mph. I always make sure that my tires are at 32 psi. Any ideas on how to improve gas milage? Is it worth contacting Mazda about this?

Thanks
    Filled up for the second time and got 429/11.5 = 37.3 MPG. Probably 75/25 highway/city. I drove a little more spirited this time as the odometer hit 619 miles (1000 k)about 2/3 into this tankful. My "highway" is interspersed with some stop and go on Baltimore's beltway but overall I have spent more time cruising at 60-65 than normal.
    autonomous, what was the problem with your A/C? what was done to it to now finally function. was it weak?

Absolutely nothing wrong with my A/C, nifty56. :)
    I think you wanted to address your question to waygrabow.
    Congratulations on the excellent mileage. My impression is that the manual trans. gives much better mpg than the automatic, but it may just be that people who experience a lot of stop-and-go driving prefer the auto. I know I would for those conditions.
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    I have read the posts from waygrabow for a long time - his MPG is fantastic - I know at one point I thought maybe he had gotten a car with an odometer that registered kilometers (rather than miles)!

If I convert the miles on my last tank (235) from miles to kilometers I get 378. It took 12.4 gallons to fill up so I am getting 30.5 KPG.

Just does not seem fair - his car gets more miles per gallon than mine gets kilometers per gallon.

BTW - I know kilometers per liter is more common (than KPG) so lets not get to technical.
  • cticti Member Posts: 131
    I have a 2005 Mazda 3 with the 4-speed automatic. The EPA rating is 24/29. I get 25-26 MPG in my typical commute driving - 6 miles to work with several (spirited) accelerations on the urban highway from 25-65 or 0-65 if I am stopped by the stoplight.

On long, mostly highway trips at 70-75 I get 29-30.

I can't really complain that I get EPA ratings, but a 4-cylinder engine in a compact getting less than 30 MPG is just wrong.
  • peteb2peteb2 Member Posts: 2
    2006 3i Touring 5-speed:

tank 1: 27 mpg (mostly short city trips plus some spirited backroads driving)

tank 2: 34 mpg (75% interstate, 25% short city trips)

tank 3: 39 mpg (90% interstate, 10% backroads)

tank 4: 32 mpg (100% interstate, including a 20-minute crawl due to an accident shutting down the highway)

I'm fairly certain that tank 3 was not a complete fillup, but the pump kept shutting off. I noticed that the gas gauge didn't read way above full like it usually does, and tank 4 seemed to use the 1st quarter-tank unusually fast. Assuming that tank 3 was actually a gallon short of full, that would still give it 36 mpg, with tank 4 at 35 mpg.

Also, tanks 3 and 4 were with 4 people in the car, plus the trunk was packed to the gills with luggage.

All around, I'm pretty happy with the mileage!
  • lrivera72lrivera72 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all, I have a '06 3i Touring w/MT. So far the gas mileage has been good but also puzzling. When I drive in the city (I live in Fort Lauderdale, FL) I shift almost exactly as the manufacturer would recommend for ordinary driving and I actually pull off 27 mpg (Note, I shut the engine off during long idling). This is only one mpg off the EPA estimate so I am very please with my city mileage. This is especially good for me since I commute only 8 miles to and from work. And no, it is not a blessing because it takes a half hour to and from :)

However, when I drive on the highway I am used to getting at least 5 mpg better than in city from all the previous cars that I have owned. In pure highway driving I average 28-30 mpg. Now, I do drive pretty fast on the highway. I average probably 75-100, and run away from toll booths as fast as I can as if being chased by the cops ;) I get better mileage if I kept speed in check, but my old '96 Mazda 626 ES V6 AT would get the same mileage w/similar driving on the highway. My current '04 Mazda Miata MT gets about 33 mpg when driving highway in the same fashion. I can get 40 mpg on the highway when I drive rationally ( < 70 mph average).

My question to you guys is, those with the 2.3l engine, does gas mileage suffer as much as mine (2.0l engine) with higher engine speeds on the highway?
  • mazdaboy2mazdaboy2 Member Posts: 12
    Here's the MPG data from my first 3 (almost) months with the car:

March 2006 (729 mi): 31.7 mpg
    April 2006 (1399 mi): 35.2 mpg
    May 2006 (1475 mi) : 36.3 mpg

The miles have all been pretty consistent: about 80% hiway, on cruise 63 mph where possible, and the rest short trips and stop-n-go congestion. The increase toward the end is probably mostly due to warmer weather - my last 2 cars had the same pattern. I admit I have been driving conservatively to maximize mpg, to see what it would do. I have not used A/C yet (but it's time to start). It seems possible that it could get 40 mpg in a pure hiway trip on cruise 63. I'm happy, since this is only maybe 1 or 2 mpg less than my 98 Protege.
  • bruce6bruce6 Member Posts: 29
    I've been averaging about 24 -- up to 28 or so when I do a lot of highway driving, down to 20 when I'm doing all city driving (in San Francisco). One thing I've noticed that isn't helping: The engine is so much quieter than my last car, a 2001 VW Golf 2.0 liter, that I sometimes belatedly realize I'm in a lower gear than I thought I was -- and could have upshifted and saved myself some gas. So I suspect as I recalibrate my ears, my mileage will improve at least a bit. But it's such a kick to drive a car with some oomph (the VW with the 2.0 liter in the Golf is not exactly a kick-[non-permissible content removed] engine), I don't mind the mediocre mileage.
    Our mileage isn't spectacular but I still get a smile on my face when the wife lets me drive her 3. I've never had a car that shifted so smoothly and is kick [non-permissible content removed] fun to drive! She plans on keeping the car now, so I've got my sights set on a Civic LX, which we'll buy within the next 2 weeks. Just not bowled over by the 3i and the 2.0 engine.

The Sandman :)
    3RD fillup with a good dose of highway driving netted 35.3 MPG. A little lower than last tank at 37.3 but still above the sticker. I do agree with SANDMAN46 that the 2.0 is a bit weak, especially off the line, (and compared to my previous a ride '98 Buick Regal GS)but I really do enjoy driving the car. I just have to remember that I can't blast through a merge situation like I did with the GS.
    I am far from unhappy with the performance of my Mazda 3 2.0 MT. Its 0-60 and quarter-mile times are almost identical to my 1987 Alfa Romeo Milano V6, which when I bought it new in Europe, was considered to be among the fastest small sports sedans in the world. The Mazda 3 does not have the 132 mph top end of the Alfa, however.
  • barich1barich1 Member Posts: 143
    I just got 29 MPG on my last tank of gas in my 2006 3S AT with about 75% highway/rural road and 25% city. That makes me very happy considering I don't exactly drive economically (the engine just seems so happy at higher RPMs). What's odd is that my trip computer tells me that I got 24.6 MPG. It has read low consistently through every tank of gas I've had (I reset it after each tank).
  • automotoautomoto Member Posts: 5
    I've 20 MPG (2nd tank) for the worst case scenario in NYC. :surprise:

-85-90% City drive.
    -Extreme heavy city stop and go NYC traffic.
    -Extreme daily traffic jam.
    -Always the fastest on the road if possible (Hard Acc + Hard Brake): 40~50 MPH Local (30 Limit) and 85+ MPH highway (40~50 Limit)
    -AC always on Max cool, Level 2~3 fan.
    -2~4 pessangers.

I don't think I can get nor I expected to get the EPA 26/32 rating since I'm running 80% 600 ft stop & go in the city. And the worst is Mazda has put the "Zoom Zoom" curse on my car, and can't slow down anymore. :P
  • mryummryum Member Posts: 12
    Just got the car a week and a half ago, but so far am extremely pleased with the mileage.

The dealer filled it up during the final test drive so I ran around town with that, along with some freeway jaunts just because this thing's a kick to drive.

Last Monday was the first day my fiance' was going to be driving the car for her commute...which is why this car was purchased. She had been driving my 02 Chevy Avalanche for her 80 mile/day roundtrip commute...we both tired quickly of sending the oil companies close to $300/month.

So, I filled up the 3 on Sunday in preparation for her commute Monday. It only had 176 miles on the tank and took 6.3 gallons to fill. Being that first half tank was about 50/50 city/hwy, I'm very pleased with a 27.95 mpg return.

Here's the results of her first full week commuting...which is about 20/80 city/hwy.

382.2 miles/12.143 gallons = 31.47 mpg

These are exactly the kind of numbers I was hoping this car would achieve. Actually, they're a little bit better since the car isn't even broken in yet. And we ended up getting the 3s which has the bigger engine.

I do think the new 5 speed auto in the S model is contributing to the good mileage returns on this car. Since we live in Florida, most of the time the A/C is running. And when she's commuting, it's usually at 80 mph. With the 5 speed auto, the car is only taching about 3k rpm's at those speeds.

In a word...SWEET! We both absolutely love this little car. It's a blast to drive, very good mileage even with the auto (and downright quick too I might add), and fit n finish is comparable to cars that cost twice as much. Mazda hit a homer right outta the part on this one :)
  • jim33jim33 Member Posts: 10
    Papito, that seems like awfully low mileage. Since you got almost 32 on the highway, I would really look at your driving habits in traffic. Looks like a heavy pedal when starting out. If not that, have you checked your math?
  • easygoer66easygoer66 Member Posts: 4
    Bought my 2006 Mazda3 2.0L,4dr. itouring model. in January. Have 1900 miles so far, and can only get as high as 16 mpg. I live in NYC, drive mostly city, but felt when I bought the car with a sticker that boasted 26/34, I should at least get 20 mpg.

Went to the dealer 5 times, and they said was that I needed to break the car in. They then told me that I need to put 7500 miles on the car to see the advertised mpg.

This is false advertising on the part of Mazda. I would never have bought this vehicle if I knew this was the case.

Anyway, I am going to see what happens after 2500 miles, then if no change, I will trade it in.

By the way, I would like to sue both Mazda & the Dealer.
    You 1st need to calm down a bit. Look at the window sticker more closely where the EPA figures are. And yes, you have to few miles too be this upset. Let the engine break in a bit longer and see what's going on about the 7500 mark. Most folks don't quite understand the EPA figures and the RANGE that accompanies those figures.
    If you wanted a car with great gas mileage, why on earth did you buy a Mazda man? They can't match Toyota's & Honda's for mileage. This coming from a person who's wife drives a '05 Mazda 3s and who just bought a Civic LX this past Monday. I wanted great mileage, so I passed on the 3i 2.0 liter and got the 1.8 liter in the Civic.
    Did you do any research before buying the car at all? The 3 is a fun car to drive but mileage is not it's strong suit. Suggest you chill out for awhile and your mileage will improve a bit to where you think it should be. And you also need to use your brains here also...all EPA figures are just ESTIMATES done under perfect driving conditions...nothing like real life driving!

The Sandman :)
  • mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626
    Bought my 2006 Mazda3 2.0L,4dr. itouring model. in January. Have 1900 miles so far, and can only get as high as 16 mpg. I live in NYC, drive mostly city, but felt when I bought the car with a sticker that boasted 26/34, I should at least get 20 mpg.

Went to the dealer 5 times, and they said was that I needed to break the car in. They then told me that I need to put 7500 miles on the car to see the advertised mpg.

This is false advertising on the part of Mazda. I would never have bought this vehicle if I knew this was the case.

Anyway, I am going to see what happens after 2500 miles, then if no change, I will trade it in.

By the way, I would like to sue both Mazda & the Dealer. "

Did you ever hear of the term your mileage may vary? You can't sue them.

And when they talk about city driving, they aren't talking about NYC traffic.

What did you get in your last car?
  • modockmodock Member Posts: 55
    Just wanted to give some of you out there my milage. The last tank was 385 miles and about 12 gallons to fillup. This is mostly communting from Denver to Boulder. I did get an increase of about 1 to 2 mpg this tank as I removed my golf clubs from the trunk. My commute is mostly done at highway speeds except that the a couple of known slow down locations. So while my commute is mostly highway it is not like going on a strictly highway road trip.
    My Mazda 3 2.0 MT has averaged 34.31 miles per gallon for the first 4,000 miles. The last fillup was 35.9 mpg for 334 miles of mostly highway driving. However, the previous fillup for 276 miles of about 10 percent highway and 90 percent light city traffic yielded 34.5.
    Just filled the tank yesterday on my 2004 Mazda3S MT: 438.4 miles and 12.41 gallons. That computes to 35+ mpg which is what this car has averaged for the past couple years.

If the Honda Civic really gets 7 mpg better than the Mazda you should buy it; that would be 42 mpg. We never got near that with our Civic EX, more like 27 mpg, but that was an automatic trans.