Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda3 Real World MPG

Comments

• Options
    autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    So what I may be doing wrong? Does it sound like I just got a lemon? Any suggestions or driving tips would be greatly appreciated!

Suggestion: for the next two weeks slow down by 10 miles and see what happens.
    I predict your fuel economy will miraculously improve!
  • Options
    brtedbrted Member Posts: 7
    My manual 2.0 liter sedan gets about 28 mpg with similar driving and about the same number of miles (3000 miles in the six months I've had the car; I drive a mile to a transit station for work and most other driving is in town). When I was really having fun driving I was getting 22-25 mpg and was horrified. For some reason I thought it was better to have the AC on fresh air at first (in hot humid Georgia). Driving to conserve fuel and putting the AC on recirculate got me to 28 mpg, which is about what I expected, though I hoped for more than that. With a bigger engine and automatic like you have the mileage would be less.
  • Options
    wackypawnwackypawn Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the feedback. I'll slow down and will throw away the dead buck. :) If I'm not too lazy, I'll report in couple if weeks.

I use Costco gas in SoCal so if they are known for adding ethanol/crappy gas let me know.
  • Options
    damian1962damian1962 Member Posts: 28
    2.0 m3 auto with a combined mpg of 29, I have fun and I make sure not to go over 65 mph. I simply drive in a way where I avoid stop and go sequences. My M5 2.3 gives me a combined 24.5 mpg. You have to know what speed to apply during your routes. There are times when 65mph is no problem with no stops, but there are times when 50 mph is the velocity. When you find yourself passing and being passed your driving wrong, your suppose to catch up without braking harshly. You'll notice the cars that pass you get stuck ahead because there racing thinking they are going to get to a place faster by doing so, in a stop and go it's best to flow.
  • Options
    ylzylz Member Posts: 45
    Hello all. Buying a 2009 Mazda 3 Hatch this month and I had some questions. I am thinking of buying a cold air intake for more power but my friend who owns a 2008 says I'm nuts. I have test driven this car a few times and I know it has power but what about the highway? I frequently drive over 80 and am I going to have trouble passing people, making two lane passes, etc...?? Do I need this intake? Also, does the intake really help that much? I have heard mixed reviews about it. And I can't seem to find one online for a 2009, I only see for 2008 models and below. It's the same engine and should fit, right? Thanks.
  • Options
    percussionistpercussionist Member Posts: 204
    Slow down and skip the air intake - you'll save gas by doing both! Why would you need to pass anyone on a two lane road (I assume you mean one lane in each direction) if you are travelling at 80 MPH?

PS - We may live in very different areas, but there is no place around here that it is legal to go anywhere near that fast.

All that being said, however, I don't think you should have any power problems trying to pass at highway speed with just about any car on the road today - they can all go over 80. The only time this ever becomes a problem is when the person you are trying to pass speeds up (which, surprisingly happens often). If that's the case, don't bother. It's not worth it to save three minutes on your trip.

Good luck - the Mazda 3 is a great car!
  • Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Car: 2009 Mazda3 i Touring Value Edition 5-Speed

Worst tank: 1,809-2,129 miles (319.9 net) -- 11.480 gallons -- 27.87 mpg
    - - Notes: Includes lots of local driving and sub zero temperatures.

Best tank: 2,895-3,301 miles (406.1 net) -- 12.389 gallons -- 32.78 mpg
    - - Notes: 85% highway, mostly on cruise control set at 70 mph, temperatures in the high thirties/low forties.

Overall: 3,301.4 miles -- 110.024 gallons -- 30.01 mpg

Given that the engine is still far from being broken in (from a fuel economy perspective), and given that the temperatures have often been well below freezing, I'm thinking that a 30 mpg overall average is pretty good for a car used for a daily commute to and from work.

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539
    That is pretty good, Shipo, considering the conditions. At 3500 miles, I was averaging 31.25 mpg, but the weather was a lot more pleasant here, and I've managed to avoid the worst traffic.

Here's my info since Nov. 2007:

2008 Mazda3i Touring 5-speed

Worst tank: 245.7 mi., 8.806 gal., 27.90 mpg
    Best tank: 397.8 mi., 11.414 gal., 34.85 mpg

Overall: 18,126 mi., 576.574 gal., 31.44 mpg

Also just a daily commuter. Sometimes I beat traffic and cruise along at 60 mph the whole way, sometimes I sleep in and it takes an hour to go the 22 miles to the office. There have been no long highway trips at all. I'm pretty satisfied.
  • Options
    Overall: 18,126 mi., 576.574 gal., 31.44 mpg

Congratulations. You beat Consumer Reports overall fuel economy rating of 30 mpg for the Mazda3i with manual transmission. These days it probably helps if you're in Texas rather than Vermont ;)
  • Options
    saulstersaulster Member Posts: 48
    After over 15K miles, I am averaging just under 28 MPG. Most of my driving is urban ( SF Bay Area ) freeways, some local / city thrown in. I usually drive the freeway at about 73 - 75 MPH ( indicated 75 - 77 MPH, per my Tom Tom GPS, the speedometer is a few ticks optimistic at this speed ).

I am very pleased with the real world mileage, especially considering how peppy and fun this car is to drive. It's not a sports car but is nicely powered and handles well. It's comfortable and a darned good value for the cost ( OK, I got it for $800 UNDER dealer invoice after a long bargaining session! ).

I thought about some modifications, such as CAI and cat back exhaust. Yep, I have done the mod thing before, I like it! But in this case, why bother, this car is "transportation", it's plenty powerful and works well as is.

Saul
  • Options
    nadeemknadeemk Member Posts: 1
    Hey.. I have the same car.. Mazda3 GTS 2.3 L sedan, Automatic. I live in Seattle in a very very hilly neighborhood and deal with mainly stop and go traffic. It's also pretty cold lately. To reassure you, I also never get above 20-21MPG.

I once did a trip to Vancouver, B.C. driving mostly at 65-70mph and got late twenties.

If you came across any techniques to improve your mileage, it would be very helpful to know.
  • Options
    Nadeemk, it seems that the fuel economy for your automatic equipped 2.3 liter Mazda3 sedan is almost spot on compared to the EPA estimates. Other than waiting for warmer weather and altering your driving habits, I seriously doubt that you're going to be able to do anything to improve you mileage to any significant degree.

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    glen13glen13 Member Posts: 3
    Can anyone can recommend a mechanic in Austin?
    Some details appreciated. Trying to avoid dealers.
  • Options
    '09 Speed 3 Sport

2100 miles so far - worst tank (first tank) 19.829 mpg
    best tank (most recent) 22.495 mpg

So far, each tank has improved - just had first service performed yesterday, so hopefully will continue to see improvement. My driving is combined and very spirited - this car does not seem to want to travel at less than 80 mph.
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362
    My driving is combined and very spirited - this car does not seem to want to travel at less than 80 mph.

A while back a couple of punks in a slammed and fart-canned 240 SX floored it when I pulled out to pass them. My wife wasn't with me so I nailed the throttle. In an instant I pulled on the morons by something like 8-10 cars. When I checked the speedo I was north of 100 mph. Whoops... :P

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    homerj31homerj31 Member Posts: 13
    Wrong forums for this, but I am thinking about getting a 09 Mazda 3i Touring. If the dealers are bad, I will have to second guess my myself.

I don't want to deal with bad service or "denied" warranty work for changing my own oil.
  • Options
    slammed and fart-canned 240 SX

I laughed and laughed at that phrase! And then I continued laughing when I thought about the look which must have been on those punks' faces.

Priceless!

To stay on topic, I filled up the other day (mostly highway driving) and had averaged 24.42 mpg with that tank - very happy with that!
  • Options
    In the United States, no dealer can deny warranty coverage on engine related issues when you do your own oil changes; if (and that's an important "if") you keep all of your reciepts and oil change logs.

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362
    To stay on topic, I filled up the other day (mostly highway driving) and had averaged 24.42 mpg with that tank - very happy with that!

Not bad; I just got back from an overnight trip which consisted of interstates and rural two-lanes. I averaged 25.32 with my MS3. But I was showing uncharacteristic restraint... ;)

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    After 3 months and 4 days I've racked up 7,624 miles. During that time the car has been driven roughly 80% on the interstate where I usually drive at speeds somewhere between 70 and 80. In addition to the obvious "break-in" mode, it's been cold up here with maybe as much as 30% of my driving done in temperatures within ten degrees (either way) of zero Fahrenheit, which as most folks know is not exactly good for enhancing fuel economy. And now, the numbers:

Car: 2009 Mazda3 i Touring Value Edition 5-Speed (2.0 liter engine)
    Gasoline: 259.556 Gallons
    Mileage: 7,624
    Average MPG: 29.37
    Best Tank: 406.1 miles / 32.78 mpg
    Worst Tank: 339.3 miles / 27.38 mpg

All in all not too bad given the conditions. :shades:

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    mazdazedmazdazed Member Posts: 34
    2009 2.3 manual 5 door.
    70% highway driving. Driving it easy during break in.
    First tank got 31 mpg.
  • Options
    smoothsailinsmoothsailin Member Posts: 73
    Results for all of my car's fillups are posted at www.brianbauer.org. See the ones for Chesterfield, VA.

My car's average based on all fillups for the first 60k miles is 38.6 mpg. Results per tank have ranged from a low of just over 32 mpg for the first fill up during initial break-in to over than 45 mpg averaged over one 624 mile tank. For some partial tanks I've calculated as high as 53 mpg. Take that Prius owners!

The 3i can produce awesome mileage if you're willing to drive it smoothly and with some restraint. I purchased a ScanGauge II a few years ago and have learned a lot from observing the data it can provide. At a steady 50 mph on fairly level ground in light winds I've seen 53 mpg in my 3i. When you dig into the throttle though the mpg can drop significantly.

After 4 years I'm very satisified w/the performance and reliability of my 3i. So far I've experience no problems at all and the car's fuel economy has more than exceeded my expectations.
  • Options
    familydadx4familydadx4 Member Posts: 26
    Smoothsailin:

Those results are outstanding! Are you practicing hyper mileage techniques? (coast in neutral, california stops, etc..). My son has an 08 with the same engine and is getting 28-29 around town. Of course, he is 19. I'm looking at the 10 with the same engine.

Thank you.
  • Options
    mazdaboy2mazdaboy2 Member Posts: 12
    I bought this car exactly 3 yrs ago, with MPG one of the primary considerations. I have not been disappointed. For the past 2 yrs, I've had the DIS computer unlocked so I have been recording MPG both that way and the old-fashioned way. The results: computer 36.2 MPG, old-fashioned way 35.4 MPG. This covers about 26K miles. This is Wash DC area so there is a certain amount of cold weather. The driving is probably 70% hwy miles at 62 mph, the rest short trips. Recently I started using the DIS to record average speed, and based on that, the avg speed has probably been 36 or 37 mph (seems low to me, but maybe those stoplights really add up). I have gotten as much as 41 MPG on a summer tankful. And on a 600-mile hwy road trip with 4 occupants, 39 MPG. I have been mostly using max-mileage techniques such as cruise control, maximum coasting, minimum braking, etc. Personally I think the real-time MPG readout should be a mandatory feature in all cars - some people might wake up and realize the cost of their driving habits.
  • Options
    mazdaboy:

Those are very good real world numbers. Just the kind of thing I was looking for. You're absolutely right about the real-time mpg readout. It's amazing more folks don't coast. Do you need to be the first one to the red-light? Here's your sign!

Thanks again.
  • Options
    psychogunpsychogun Member Posts: 129
    I just bought my Mazda 3 s Sport hatch 5-speed manual on Tuesday the 10th. Filled her up today with 11.701 gallons (US) with 307.8 miles traveled equals 26.3mpg.
    Mix was about 50/50 city/hwy with somewhat spirited driving and also bouts of gentle driving (shifting under 3000rpm). I live in Phoenix, AZ and temps were in the high 70's during the day.
    So far I am happy with this result, but hope average mileage will improve a bit over time.
  • Options
    sshprsshpr Member Posts: 13
    Well it has been over a year since I visited this site by my experience was very similar to yours. I did not believe the break in advice but I started getting better mileage around 10k. I had the dealership check fuel settings, transmission, and alignment and everything was reported up to spec. I felt sometime as if the tranny (AT) was no shifting crisply and the shift points were way to soon. But the biggest gain came after I replaced the original Goodyear tires at 12k. Terrible tires, loud and worn out in 12k. Put Michelins on and a world of difference. The 3 now averages 24mpg with an 18 yr old driver and 42,000.
  • Options
    Thanks familydadx4!

While I do practice some hypermiling techniques, I do not claim to be a "hard core" hypermiler. One purchase made two years ago and highly recommended is a ScanGauge II computer (www.scangauge.com). Since I began observing and using the information provided by the ScanGauge I've probably improved the results obtained w/my 3i by at least 3-4 mpg on average.

As far as hypermiling techniques, I do:
    1) occasionally coast in neutral w/the engine idling while descending some hills
    2) occasionally shut off the engine while waiting at long stoplight intersections
    3) try to avoid using the a/c except when temperatures and humidity levels soar-say above 90 deg F. w/over 80% humidity.
    Note: in a Mazda 3 the a/c compressor will engage automatically behind the scenes (a/c light doesn't illuminate) if the fan is turned on and the vent controls are set @ the 12:00 position (floor) or to any any position right of center (defrost). Except when air dried by the a/c is needed to defog the windows, I generally only use the left-of-center vent positions when driving my car. Why Mazda has engineered the HVAC controls to engage the a/c compressor when the vent position set to floor is beyond me!
    4) try to reduce speed and coast up to red lights (vs maintaining speed to the light before quickly braking to a stop).
    5) generally stay in the right lane and my limit cruising speeds to posted limits or no more than 5 mph over.
    6) plan most my trips to avoid short drives Note: my commute to work is ~26 miles one-way, so I generally plan to run most errands while driving to, or back from work.)
    7) generally avoid warming up the engine in the driveway. I just wait 10-20 seconds for the oil pressure to build, then drive away gently. In winter I usually cover my car so avoid having to scrape frost off the windows. Otherwise, I'll scrape the windows before starting the engine and driving off. Getting the engine up to operating temperature as quickly as possible improves fuel economy results in my experience.
    8) I try to get into high gear quickly, generally avoid operating the engine rpm above 3-3.5k, and also avoid lugging the engine under load in a too-tall a gear.
    9) I try to be very smooth on the throttle and pay attention to opportunities to conserve momentum as much as possible.
    10) I limit my use of the brakes as much as possible by making gradual speed changes and using engine braking when possible. Note that with modern fuel- injected engines all fuel delivery is cutoff when the engine is decelerating in gear above idle speed.
    11) Keep tire pressures at the maximum allowed (44 psi for the original equipment Toyos that came on my car). I've only noticed two negative aspects from doing this:1) car rides stiffer and 2) after 60.5k miles the original equipment tires on my car have gotten "noisy". Of course, the same may be said for most tires after similar mileage though. In any case, I've definitely gotten my money from the original tires and may be purchasing replacements w/in a few months even though the wear bars aren't showing yet!

On the other hand, I:
    1) don't tailgate trucks or other vehicles for drafting advantages
    2) don't employ pulse and glide techniques (at least I haven't yet)
    3) generally don't coast w/the engine off. However, I have done so and have realized some improvement in my car's mpg when I did this.
    4) don't drive below the speed limit when in traffic
    5) don't get in the left lane except to pass

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    wise1wise1 Member Posts: 91
    What is your rpm reading at 60mph? Will Mazda make the I with a 6 speed manual with a tall 6th???? My 2007 Accord clocks at 2000 rpm at 60 and is getting 30 mpg 50-50 mix. Tires are pumped to 38 psi and does ok but can ride harsh on rough surfaces. I let the car upshift at 2000rpms and drive grand ma style, and try to predict timing of traffic lights and turn car off at RR crossings. WE HAVE A TRAIN EVERY 20-25 MINUTES IN OUR TOWN. Some go quickly others take forever!!! Thanks!!! :shades: By the way the accord is auto.
  • Options
    Smoothsailin:

It sounds like we drive almost exactly! I've managed to get 29 mpg city in my son's TSX by doing much of the same.

I'll be testing a Honda Insight, 2010 m3, and Honda civic in the next week back to back. While the Insight should beat them all from a mileage standpoint, the 2-3k price difference can buy alot of gas. As we all know, the m3 is a whole lot of fun to drive (another son has a 2008 m3). I doubt whether the Insight will be as entertaining as the m3.

By practising moderate hypermiling you can improve mileage by 4 mpg (I'm at 5 mpg on the TSX).

Outstanding getting 60.k miles on a set of tires! I would be very curious as to what replacement tires you buy, and why.

Great info!
  • Options
    In 5th gear @ 60 mph the engine in my 3i turns around 2,550 rpm. I've calculated that engines in the 3i atx (4-speed) and post-'05 3s atx (5-speed) turn around 2.2k rpm at 60 mph.

I'd like for my car to have a taller 5th or add'l 6th gear if it would drop rpm by 500 rpm or so at 60 mph. Unfortunately, from what I've read the 2010 s-models will be equipped w/6-speed manuals, but the i will still only come with a 5-speed manual or an automatic. Also don't know whether the new 6th gear in s-models will be significantly taller than that of the 5-speed manuals in all first-generation Mazda 3 models ('04-'09).

I've calculated that there is little difference in the final drive gearing between post '05 MX-5 models equipped with 5-speed manual or 6-speed manuals. So my guess would be that the new 6-speed manual 2010 s models won't drop engine rpm much in top gear either, and probably will be geared lower 1st-5th for improved performance and with 6th gear only being slightly taller than the prior cars' 5th gear. Also, from what I've read the 6-speed in Mazda Speed3 models is only geared slightly taller than the 5-speed in non-turbocharged models.

I have read that there's a taller 5th gear available for 1st generation Mazda 3 manual transmission models through the aftermarket. However, my impression is the difference isn't significant and may only result in a drop of 100-200 rpm @ 60 mph. If so it would not make enough of a difference for me to be willing to spend the $$ to purchase the part & pay for installation.

From what I've heard late model four-cylinder Accords can be very fuel efficient even when mated to automatics. There's a fellow who contributes to the Mazda 3 forum who owns a '07 or '08 Mazda 3s mtx. His wife drives a fairly new ('06 or '07) Accord I-4 mated to a 5-speed automatic. This guy seems to be more dedicated to hypermiling techniques than I and has posted that his wife's Accord can out-accelerate his 3s at highway speeds, yet can also match or exceed his Mazda 3's mpg results in normal driving.

My parents own a '07 Toyota Camry (2.4L I-4 w/5-speed automatic). The engine in that car only turns around 1,750-1,800 rpm @ 60 mph, or about the same as their significantly more powerful '04 Toyota Sienna V-6 (3.4L w/5-speed automatic). The Camry's tall gearing is very nice on flat roads, but at the slightest hint of a hill the car's transmission tends to down and upshift a lot. While the tendency to shift so much at highway speeds can be somewhat aggravating, I'd rather have the option of a tall top-gear for flat roads cruising even if the transmission does tend to shift a lot when roads aren't relatively flat.

You can always manually shift out of 5th gear to reduce the amount of shifting when the roads are less than flat!
  • Options
    marcvillmarcvill Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2004 Mazda3 5d with a manual and 61000 miles. I have been taking mileage reading since the day I bought the car. For the past three years I have been averaging 28.6 miles per gallon. This includes all trips to airports, different states and my daily commute. I am a pretty conservative driver when comes to acceleration and braking. I just had my original brakes changed at 55k. I use my A/C constantly because of a black interior and I live in Florida. I try keep the RPMs down by using neutral when coasting. I use 5th gear a lot because I am lazy and Florida is really flat. Just my notes on MPGs in a Mazda3.
  • Options
    Like you I have just under 61k miles on my '05 Mazda 3i (4-door 2.0L engine w/5-speed manual). Average mpg w/my 3i to date is 38.6 mpg based on all fill-ups since new.

All of my car's results are posted at www.brianbauer.org. Look for 2005 Mazda3, 2.0L manual transmission. My car's results are the ones listed for Chesterfield, VA.

Before choosing to purchase my 3i I researched fuel economy results for both engines (2.0L and 2.3L) w/manual transmissions. Haven't regretted choosing the 3i's 2.0L engine over the 3s's 2.3L. Although the difference in performance is relatively minor between the two engines @ less than 15 hp, the difference in real-world fuel economy results can be significant.

Btw, my car still has the original brake pads AND the original equipment tires (16" 205/55 Toyos)! Although the tires are getting close to needing replacements, when recently rotating them I observed that the brake pads are only about half worn out.

Needless to say, in general I drive my 3i fairly gently.
  • Options
    dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    I will second the efficiency of Accords (especially last generation stick models). I have a 2007 stick shift I4 and have averaged 33.7 mpg over 58,000 miles. I have recorded as high as 39.8 over 10 consecutive tanks and have had tanks as high as 45 mpg (well over 600 miles). This is for slower speed state highways not high speed interstates though. I do use 40 psi and 0w-20 mobil one to help out and employ some minor hypermiling - coast to lights and down steep hills, shut off at long lights.

I was very interested in the Mazda 3, but the SO wanted something larger. I really wish Mazda would put their excellent 2.0 engine in the hatch as an efficient hatch back would have been hard to resist.

By the same token I would have also been very interested in the 6 wagon if it had the 4-cyl. For some reason Mazda thinks that their most efficiently packaged cars (hatches and wagons) need their least efficient engines. In the case of the Mazda 6 V-6 it actually gets worse EPA mpg than our V-6 minivan - could never convince the wife to go that way.

Anyway I would love to see a 2.0 hatch with a six speed MT. Great mileage with lots of flexibility, but I don't think it will happen. They would rather sell SUV's to the people that want cargo room - more profit.
  • Options
    Congratulations for the excellent long-term results you've achieved w/your '07 Accord mtx dudleyr!

I agree that it sure would be nice if Mazda would offer their Mazda3 hatchback equipped with the 2.0L engine and 6-speed manual. Also agree that it's not likely to happen though.

Mazda also offers the 3 equipped with a diesel engine in other countries and from what I've read this engine produces significantly more torque than either of the normally aspirated gas engines available in the U.S., yet is capable of producing fuel economy results above 50 mpg. Of course, it's a costly endeavor for an auto manufacturer to design and certify a diesel engine that will meet EPA standards here in the U.S. Also, since the Mazda3 is generally marketed here as a sports-oriented vehicle, a diesel-engine version probably wouldn't be a huge seller here unless fuel prices rise above $5/gallon again.

In any case I've been very satisfied w/my '05 3i mtx and wouldn't hesitate to buy another Mazda sometime in the future.

I'd really like to own an MX-5 after the kids are out of the house! :)
  • Options
    igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    I have a 2006 Mazda3 s Sport 5-door with manual transmission. For the first 42,000 miles I had a horrible commute (50 miles round-trip in grid-locked Atlanta traffic). I never managed more than 26mpg. I visit my best friend who lives 200 miles away at least once per month. Driving at 75-80mph on 90% of the trip, I average 27mpg if I'm lucky. If I set the cruise control at 70-72mph on the same trip, with the A/C off, I have hit 30.2mpg for the trip average.

It's a far cry from the days of my '93 Civic getting 40mpg even during 80mph highway treks, but the Mazda is a lot more fun (and comfortable)! :)
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
  • Options
    mazdazedmazdazed Member Posts: 34
    I have two 2009 Mazda 3's. One "i" and one "s". Both manuals.
    75% highway driving 65-70 mph.

3i- With 7,800 miles on the car the "i" is averaging 35-36 mpg with 39 being the highest achieved and 32 being the lowest.

3s- With 4,000 miles on the car it is averaging 31-32 mpg.

Running Motorcraft 5w-20 Synthetic Blend oil in both cars.
  • Options
    dc_driverdc_driver Member Posts: 712
    I have had my Mazda 3i Touring edition sedan (bought new) since 2006 and am consistently averaging 37-39 mpg in about 80/20 (highway/city) driving going 60-80mph.

It does have the manual transmission but I am not a soft footed driver. If I slowed down and drove softer I am positive I could squeeze at least 2-3 more mpg out of the car.

The car has had zero issues (not one) since owning. I would buy another in a heartbeat (but will probably keep this one till it dies) and my sister in law is looking into buying one now.
  • Options
    tj6968tj6968 Member Posts: 23
    Probably around 26mpg in the city.... Not too bad. Wish it was like quadruple that though.
  • Options
    acdacd Member Posts: 11
    My 2007 Mazda3i touring 5speed manual averages about 28 mpg in my urban commute/ short trips. It used to do better before 10% ethonal in gasoline. I just took a long, mostly interstate trip averaging around 72 mph. Over the 1600 miles the car averaged between 35 and 36 MPG. (My highest tank ever on a trip was 37 MPG.) So I'm still happy driving this wonderful little car at almost 37,000 miles. :)
  • Options
    vanquish421vanquish421 Member Posts: 4
    I will agree with you that the difference in real world fuel economy between the 2.0 liter engine and the 2.5 liter is significant, but saying the difference in performance is relatively minor is absolutely FALSE. The numbers for power on the 2.0 liter are VERY overrated by Mazda. Corksport did a dyno pull on both engines and the 2.0 liter only put down a measly 118 HP and 110 lbft of torque, while the 2.5 liter put down 158 HP and 161 lbft of torque. I would call 40 horses and 51 lbft of torque a very significant difference in performance.

Don't get me wrong, the 2.0 liter certainly gets the job done, and has better power and low end torque for good pick up (especially in city driving) than the competition (civic, corolla, etc.). And the gas mileage is incredible, very underrated by Mazda. My girlfriend has an iSport and is getting 34 MPG city and 43 MPG highway! Real world results for the 2.5 liter engine, however, are pretty accurate to the ratings, though reviews have claimed that driving it hard hardly decreases the fuel consumption.

Just some things to think about. The 2.5 liter DEFINITELY has much more power, about 50% more. But it's up to your priorities, efficiency or performance, that ultimately determines the decision when purchasing. I'll probably go with the 2.0 liter iTouring model and spend the few grand I save over several years on gas and get a sound system and dvd/nav touch screen in the dash.

And there's my 2 cents.
  • Options
    If you read my post again vanquish421 you'll see I was comparing the 2.0 L and 2.3 L engines-not the 2.0 vs. 2.5 L . The 2.5 L was not available when I purchased my '05 3i.

I'm unfamiliar with corksport and have no idea if their figures are reliable, but since drivetrain power losses s/b similar between two Mazda 3 models I find the differences in crankshaft vs. "at the wheel" results for the two engines out of sync based on the figures you quoted. The 2.5 L is rated by Mazda at 167 hp and 168 lb/ft at the crank and Mazda's published specifications for the 2.0 L and 2.3 L engines models are as follows:

2.0 L: 148 bhp & 135 lbf•ft
    2.3 L: 156 bhp & 150 lbf•ft
    2.3 L MZR DISI Turbo: Mazdaspeed3: 263 bhp & 280 lbf•ft

So the 2.3 L is rated for just 8 hp and 15 ft/lb more than the 2.0 L. My lawn mower puts out more than that!

The 2.5 L of course does better with 19 hp and 33 lb/ft over the 2.0 L. A 19 hp advantage still is hardly earth-shattering, but I can understand how an additional 33 lb/ft could be enough to be appreciated in a small car like the 3. Of course, the 2010 modes ARE also heavier than first generation models too and from what I've read differences in real-world performance between '04-'09 2.3 L models and 2010 3s models w/the new 2.5 L engines are negligible.

The figures you cited from corksport indicate the 2.0 L engine lost 30 hp and 25 lb/ft to driveline losses from engine to the front wheels, but the 2.5 L only lost 9 hp and 6 lb/ft? If so then either the 2.0 L may have been a poorly running example or the 2.5 L could have been a ringer since driveline losses between the two should have been similar (imo). From what I've read a 10%-12% loss from cranshaft to the wheels is fairly common.

148 hp x 10% = ~ 15 hp...which would result in 133 hp at the wheel for the 2.0 L
    167 hp x 10% = 17 hp...which would leave 150 hp at the wheel for the 2.5 L

So the corksport figures don't make sense. If anything, the 2.5 L should have lost more power from crankshaft to wheel vs. the 2.0 L...not less.

In any case, when browsing the Mazda 3 forums I've read where real-world results have shown a stock 2.0 L mtx can produce n e.t within a 1/2 second of a stock 2.3 L mtx in the quarter. Of course differences in driver experience could easily make more difference than that.

If bragging rights or racing for pinks is important to you a ½ second difference in the quarter or from 0-60 may be significant. But during my day-to-day commutes I could care less about a ½ second difference for rarely do I need maximum performance from my 3i's 2.0 L anyhow. However, when I have the 2.0 L has been more than powerful enough for my needs. I'd also like pit my 3i mtx against someone with an equally stock 3s w/the 2.3 L atx . If more than a car length separated us by the end of the quarter mile I'd be very surprised.

In any case, if I wanted high performance in a 3 I'd bypass a 3s motivated by a normally aspirated 2.3 or 2.5 L engines and choose a Speed 3 anyhow.

It all comes down to what's more important to you. For me, I'd rather pay 25% less at the pump for 99.9% of my driving in lieu of paying at the pump all the time just to have a hair more performance available for the other .1% when I may want to floor the pedal.
  • Options
    It all comes down to what's more important to you. For me, I'd rather pay 25% less at the pump for 99.9% of my driving in lieu of paying at the pump all the time just to have a hair more performance available for the other .1% when I may want to floor the pedal.

Well argued. You are not alone!
  • Options
    almattialmatti Member Posts: 164
    vanquish..... I have a 2008.5 3 S Touring, picked up a leftover in April 09. Now has 8,800 miles on it, 95% of the time driven by my son, a young Adult home from College.. Driven in suburbia - mixed 50% local; 50% highway. I am the "sucker" who takes it out on Sunday mornings for Newspapers, Bagels, etc...AND ends up filling 'er Up. I am pretty meticulous about observing the Stars. I am nowhere near 34 MPG, never mind 43MPG!! Every Sunday, with about 270-280 miles on the trip meter, I put in 11-12 gallons of gas. That's about 24-24.5 MPG ... There must be something wrong with the car.....or he drives extremely hard with lots of pulloing over and "idling" - like Tiger Woods. LOL... Anybody in my Court!!! Tell me what I'm doing wrong..THX
  • Options
    I don't suspect there's much wrong with your car. If I drive hard in lots of urban traffic, I can get the fuel economy down into the mid twenties on my 2009 Mazda3 i Touring 5-Speed, that said, in mixed driving (and driving like a normal sane person), I typically get between 29 and 31 mpg. On three different long trips (New Hampshire to NYC and back) I've managed at least 37 mpg, and on one trip I got over 39. If I ever encounter a nice uncrowded five hundred mile long stretch of interstate, I have little doubt that I can cover it on a single tank of gas, and that would in turn yield an MPG figure well into the forties. ;)

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    By driving conservatively and applying some hypermiling techniques I once squeezed 626 miles out of a tank in my '05 3i mtx. That tank produced an average of 46.7 mpg (626.0 miles / 13.403 gallons).

To-date my overall average since purchasing my 3i on 3/1/05 based on all miles driven and gallons purchased is 38.81 mpg (67,771.5 miles/1,746.282 gallons).

I now average over 40-42 mpg per tank during the warmer months and in the high 30's (38-39 mpg) even when it's cold outside.

:)
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Really? That good? I'm two tanks into my 2010 GT 5 speed AT and I'm getting 20 MPG with 90% freeway driving. The car's gas mileage is insanely awful.

I just got out of a car with 300 HP and I was averaging 21-22 mpg per tank in mostly mixed driving. With my 07 Cooper S I got 30 MPG without trying. Both cars I beat on with WOT, lots of high RPM shifts. Yet with the mazda I'm shifting at 2 RPM, no WOT and seeing 20 MPG. What gives?
  • Options
    Sadly, judging from fuel economy results posted by other owners (www.mazda3forums.com) your experience is not unusual.

When equipped with the larger engines (2.3L & 2.5L) the Mazda 3 has developed a reputation for producing relatively poor fuel economy results...especially when these engines are mated to automatic transmissions.

Admittedly my results with a 3i (2.0L & 5-speed manual) are superior to what most 3i owners have been reporting too. However there are other owners of essentially the same model who have reported results which have been similar or even superior to mine from time-to-time. In any case it's fairly common for 3i mtx owners to report results ranging from the high twenties-to-mid 30s.

Hopefully your results will improve (as my car's did) after a few thousand break-in miles, but judging from what I've read results averaging in the low-to-high twenties in mixed driving and in the high twenties-to-low 30's for highway cruising at moderate cruising speeds may be all you should should reasonably expect to see with your 2010 GT. Sorry.

Note: you can view my and some other Mazda 3 owners' fuel economy results at http://www.brianbauer.org/

All of my car's results since purchase are posted there and may be viewed under "Mazda...2005...3 2.0L...manual".
  • Options
    I'm thinking the combination of the 2.5 liter mill and the automagic transmission are the issue here. When I picked up my Mazda3 (a 2.0 liter 5-Speed with three pedals under the dash) I was working a contract that was ~45 miles north of where I live, most of which were "cruise control" miles. For the duration of that contract (which ended prematurely last March) I'm thinking that on average, I drove on the highway about 70% of the time (lots of family errands and such on top of my commuting), and even on tanks when the temperature didn't make it above zero I still managed to get over 29 mpg.

Now that I'm working a contract ~45 miles in the other direction (the direction with 90% of the traffic) I simply drive 8 miles to the local "Park and Ride" and take a bus into Boston. Unfortunately that means that I only manage to get the car out onto the highway once or twice a week, and with winter here once again, my fuel economy is more like 27ish. :(

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Wow, that's horrible. I guess I believed that the epa numbers were conservative given my experience with my Cooper and BMWs which tended to do better than EPA would suggest, especially with my hard driving style.