Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS 430 Real World MPG

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
edited March 2014 in Lexus
This topic is for Lexus LS owners to share and compare their actual MPG.

"Real World" Fuel Economy vs. EPA Estimates

Comments

• jamesnz888jamesnz888 Member Posts: 1
    As titled , 703KMS / 73 liters for LS400 1990 on the high way at qround 100KMS with cruiser control. NOT bad actually.
    This car is imported from Japan and done 78,000KMS.
  • rgswrgsw Member Posts: 333
    Just drove 1000 miles last week. I got 29 MPG (maybe a slight tail wind) from Albuquerque to Denver. On the way back (with 40 mile per hour head wind) only 25 MPG. All driving was at 75 or 65 MPH. Very pleased with MPG.
  • todd2004todd2004 Member Posts: 18
    I just completed a 390 mile round trip from Indianapolis to Columbus and back on I 70 at 26.9mpg with an average speed of 74 mph on my 2003 LS430. The mpg was calculated on similiar filled tanks of Shell premium. Winds were out of the west between 10--15 kts both ways.The car computer said the mileage was 27.1 mpg. Great car !! I have 29,900 miles on it and I will be putting Michelin MXV 4 tires on it next week.I have to replace the OEM Dunlops due to poor wear. I am really looking forward to driving it with the Michelin tires!
  • famwaldfamwald Member Posts: 114
    Re: your tires --- I had Michelin MXV-4 tires on my last two Volvos and loved them. When these factory Dunlops to wear out I'll be putting the Michelins on..
  • bcleepebcleepe Member Posts: 53
    My wife uses it for commute with an average of 20 mph for stop and go traffic. When I drived it during weekends, I got average 25 mph mostly on freeway with rolling hills.
  • edspider1edspider1 Member Posts: 195
    I would get about 19.5 in combined driving. About 24 going 75-80mpg. I was pretty impressed actually. These numbers are from the trip computer. I didn't calculate myself. I recently switched to an 2006 M35 AWD. It only gets about 16.5 using a V6 so the LS looks pretty impressive!
  • jerry5506jerry5506 Member Posts: 2
    Just wonder if Michelin Tires are better than Toyo Tires. I have Dunlop tires on my 2004 LS and have approx 25,000 miles on it and seem to have plenty of rubber on them so far.
    I put ToyoTires on my 97 LS but traded it off soon after, so don't know how they lasted.
    Jerry5506
  • rce15398rce15398 Member Posts: 1
    We just returned from a 4,800 mile trip from California to the Midwest and back. We averaged 27.2 mpg overall. Outstanding for a vehicle covering territory at 75 mph, in serenity and comfort.
  • famwaldfamwald Member Posts: 114
    With the cost of gasoline rising, yesterday I decided to see how the mpg would be going 65 on the interstate instead of the posted 70 mph limit. I cleared the numbers on the display and strictly on the interstate got 30 mpg. That is with no stop/start driving and no major hills.
    :)
  • flatlanderflatlander Member Posts: 25
    Is it kosher to use regular gas for constant speed long distance driving? I know if I hear the engine pinking that the answer is no. If I use a light foot on the gas pedal and use the cruise control will I be doing any harm to the engine?
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    I am in the middle of an extended road trip with mostly interstate hwy driving, and on one tank I got 28.4mpg and on the next I got 27.5mpg. I can't account for the difference; if anything, the speeds driven were lower on the second tank. Maybe it's the brand of gasoline. Still, this is pretty good mileage for a car of this size and weight, I think. So much for the claim that nobody can get mileage as high as the EPA estimates. In town I typically get 18-19mpg.
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    On our first tank of gas in California we are getting only 24.5mpg. I assume that this is due to the formulation of the gasoline for California.
  • rpbassmanrpbassman Member Posts: 2
    I asked my service manager this question - he returned a question to me: How long do you expect to drive the car? His feeling is if you are only going to drive the car for 100,000 miles or so, then use regular - if you intend to keep it longer, use premium. He said he's seen LS models with very high mileage (300k +) that have not yet had major engine work, excepting engine accessory replacements, and he attributes it in part to use of premium fuel. So if this is in fact the case, wouldn't it be nice to know, if buying a used vehicle, what fuel has been used in it? Another good reason for not buying an LS from a rental fleet. You can be certain they live on a regular-grade diet. So I tend to buy the more expensive stuff, always wondering if I'm throwing money away in so doing.
  • sbadeauxsbadeaux Member Posts: 3
    Lexus does not sell to Fleets. You cannot buy a lexus from and fleet, rental or otherwise.

Scott
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    That's what I thought....
  • pearlpearl Member Posts: 336
    You are getting "only" 24.5 mpg on your FIRST tank? In my humble opinion, you are doing pretty well. Remember you are driving a luxury V8, not some econo-box four cylinder. Read the Infiniti M boards. Most of them are getting 16-19 mpg on a V6. Don't blame the California gasoline. Be thankful that in addition to getting great gas mileage vs. almost any other peer automobile, you are also helping the environment.
  • i5cpai5cpa Member Posts: 1
    I have taken a number of trips between Oregon and Washington along the interstate. Quite consistently, like you, I am averaging about 24.5 MPG with a 1990 LS burning premium gas at 70-75 MPH (When not stuck in traffic.)
  • blk99lsblk99ls Member Posts: 4
    Is it true that you can only use 93 octane in the 99 LS?
    How about 91?
    Can't be. Most places you can't get 93.....
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hmm ... here in SE Va you can't get 91, you can only get 93 if you want something higher than regular octane. I was under the impression that was true in most parts of the country. :confuse:
  • pearlpearl Member Posts: 336
    where do you live? I think octane is also frequently a factor in the altitude of the location. When I lived near Denver, 91 was all you could get. Now I live in Maryland and here, as well as most of the (low altitude) east coast, the octane is 93 at pretty much all stations/brands. I also used to note 91 octane in WY and UT - again mostly high altitude locations.
    I'm in Las Vegas. 91 & 100 is all you can get here. We're at 2000 ft. though. Coastal areas probably get 93. In Utah and the rockies, you can actually get 85, whereas 87 is the lowest we can buy.
  • luckylouluckylou Member Posts: 308
    My wife drives her 2006 LS430 about 99.5 % , the rest of the time I drive it, to put gas in it.
    This past time , while distracted by this beautiful , young , attractively dress blond , I push the Regular gas , and so far my wife has not notice the difference but for me , I want to gas up everyday at the same time.
    This was an accident ( the Gas ) , the next time back to High Octane, just the car.
    Around town, you probably won't, (and your wife for sure won't) notice a difference. On the highway, hills and passing, I notice a fair difference.....
  • rpbassmanrpbassman Member Posts: 2
    The fleet reference was incidental to the topic of the proper fuel to use. However, as a matter of information I have rented a Lexus ES from Thrifty Car Rental in Los Angeles as well as an LS from Midway Car Rental. They may no longer offer rentals, I don't know. But - if you cannot buy a Lexus from a fleet, rental or otherwise, how does the rental company eventually dispose of the vehicle?
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    390 miles, 14.55 gallons, 26.8MPG, 66MPH "moving" average (garmin).

1995 LS400 with 211,000 miles.

A/C...OFF.
  • 2002ls430girl2002ls430girl Member Posts: 1
    Very happy with MPG on 2002 LS430

Just got back two days ago from a road trip. The car was loaded with 4 adults (3 who drove) and a trunk full of luggage. I calculated the mileage on paper instead of the computer as I didn't want to zero everything out. 1780.3 miles 68.95 Gals at a total cost of $281 - 25.8 MPG. We paid between $3.919 and 4.219 for high test. Also this raised my average MPG two tenths on the 'puter. It now sits at 22.4 MPG.

The car has low mileage, about 80,000 miles. I have to say I am very pleased with the MPG. It easily holds four people and a hugh pile of stuff. Fully loaded it's a quiet, smooth, very comfortable ride and the mileage is wonderful for what we have.

I was toying with buying something new next year, but for the value I am re-thinking. I may just keep my trouble free car. :)
This discussion has been closed.