Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Tundra vs the Big 3 Continued IV

Comments

• rwellbaum2rwellbaum2 Member Posts: 1,006
    Even when being beat by the Tundra you make apologies for the chevy. You lament that your regular cab chevy, with a larger engine, lost ground to the Access cab Tundra because it carried a heavier passenger. That argument is as weak as the Tundra's stock horn. ;)
    should read "crate engine"
    Rented "the informant"! Great movie about big tobacco companies and their strongarm tactics used to crush testimony from company execs turned whistleblowers.....How is trucks4me/rubluetoo?
  • bamatundrabamatundra Member Posts: 1,583
    I checked out the Chevy before buying my Tundra.

Chevy - 70's era styling Fisher - Price chintzy plastic interior

Weak brakes - the Tundra handily outbrakes it with its drum rear brakes. Leave it to Chevy to come out with weak disk brakes. And there is a NHTSA recall out on their antilock brakes. That is Chevy quality (or lack thereof) for you.

Numerous rattles, squeeks, wind noise, road noise etc. on the Demo truck I drove. The salesman said that it was normal - they all do that.

Horrible handling with the 4X4. It needs rack and pinion steering (that works) like the Tundra.

The Chevy does have a slightly bigger back seat, but my Nissan sedan puts it to shame. My 70 yr old father in law rode in the back seat of my Tundra for 325 miles without one complaint. I got 19.5 mpg while going 75 to 80mph most of the way including a 4000 ft climb. I consider this excellent for a extended cab full size 4X4 pickup.

And let us not forget that Consumer Reports is already rating your '99 Silverado as a used vehicle to avoid. Way to go Chevy! J.D Powers rates chevies 26th - right there with Hyundais.

The Toyota Tundra won 2000 J.D Powers award for best quality in a full size pickup. And it did this in its first year of production.

The Tundra has a 5yr, 60,000 mile drivetrain warranty. (not that it will need it). The Chevy has a 3yr, 36,000 mile warranty (it will need it)

Quad - my advice is to unload that piece of junk Chevy while it is still worth something. Get a real full size truck - the Tundra.

I agree that the Tundra horn is not very loud. Darn - I guess I will have to spend $30 to replace my horn.
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    ....Tundra.....full size..

ROTFLMFAO!

- Tim
  • swobigswobig Member Posts: 634
    I don't even know what that means, but it sounds good to me!

rwell,
    You and your buddies childish names. Tell you what - I have a buddie that has a one ton Dodge, I'll get a piece of rope/chain, drive to where ever the hell you live, hook em together, and we'll see first hand who can outpull the other. Sound stupid? Done it before and it's pretty fun. But I gotta tell you I already know what the result would be...
    I'll put my riding tractor in the Dodge and after it blows you away, we'll hook up my garden tractor to you Toy - now there's a battle!!!
    ...if it's a Deere....that's not fair...

LOL

- Tim
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    fisher price interior bama you really like to hear yourself say the same thing over and over dont you.

Toyota only outbreaks the silverado cause it weighs less. DUH it doesnt take a genious to figure that one out.

Ryan
  • bamatundrabamatundra Member Posts: 1,583
    Or is it Werking? Or is it BCO? Or is it Werking?

It doesn't surprise me that you accuse other posters of changing identities since you know about it first hand.

I have no need to change identities. Now you, on the other hand with your childish "Tundra dicks" post apparently do have a need.

I don't blame you for lashing out. It seems that a lot of Chevy owners are insecure about their truck purchase. Chevy managed to make Consumer Reports used vehicles to avoid with the '99 Silverado already. The 2000 can't be far behind.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    The similarities are incredible. f150rules and you. Did you take a few lessons from him? Dan, I mean..... ;)
    "I don't even know what that means, but it sounds
    good to me!"

....the words of yet another "informed" domestic truck owner. ;)

ROTFLMFAO
    My neighbor just 2 houses down bought a brand new silverado. He drove by my house for 2 weeks untill his truck started with that awful "clank" sound going over the speedbump and his "superior" disc brakes were squealing like pigs. Now his embarrassment forces him to drive 2 blocks out of his way, just so he can avoid being humiliated in front of a "Tundra owners" house. I feel bad for him but at the same time he acted all smug the first day he drove it home.
    I will continue to humbly drive my Tundra and try really hard not to snicker at his albatross...er, I mean silverado.
    same old crap eh? Sorry I'm not as informed as you "think" you are. So now that you think you can out pull a Dodge one ton are you going to try to out run a Viper, or out carry a Caravan, or get better mileage than a Neon. Sorry, bud your Toy can't do any of those thing, but keep comming up with those stories - good entertanment. And you can come up with better names than slowbig - come on, I'm dissapointed...
  • redsilveradoredsilverado Member Posts: 1,000
    a stupid soap opera. leave for 1-2 months and you
    can pick up almost where you left off. LOL BTW
    guys, ca...can...can't we all just get along or
    do we go to tim's site and let's really get it
    on. what'd you say, anyone care to spout off
    where there isn't gonna be a referee?
    ...Kyle changed his name to BCO due to a nickname we came up with....he made it clear who he was...and not hiding like others do...

Get the facts before you spew..

- Tim
    One more time for the understanding impaired:

I'm not the one who said the Dodge 3500 could not tow 8000lbs. So who did?.........

Dodge representitives themselves admitted to that
    fact in court!!!!

If you don't like the truth...that's too bad, suck it up and press on! If
    you want to get mad, take it up with Dodge and
    their false claims/advertising.
    ..so what you are saying is you said it?

- Tim
    BAMA

BCO aka werking did state clearly why he changed his name and who he was. It was no mystery you ......... ill leave that to your imagination.

Whats this brake squealing thing? Something else made up???

Ryan
    Whenever i drive past this guys house that has a tundra ny my gf its always in the garage. I am still wondering why its in the garage everyday it never leaves that spot. It doesnt even tow his bass boat. (ive seen it hooked up to his 4runner).

Ryan
    If you can't beat them, join em. Ok, I can't take this anymore...I said it! You got that! I SAID IT!!!! ;)
    So the Tundra is always there when you go to pick up your girlfriend?
    in a neighbors garage on her block. I notice it only cause everytime the garage is open. Its a nice looking truck but ive never seen it outta the garage
    maybe he is preserving it...hoping one day twenty years from now it'll be a classic and sell for thirty grand...
    ..alllriighttyy then...

- Tim
    so you admit it. Dodge one ton can't tow 8000#, but a Tundra can tow 7200# - Toyota must be better right?

The new 4.2L I-6 from GM sounds like a good little motor. 270 horse is impressive - even has more horsepower the I-Force V-8 Toyota Tundra. hehehe
    "so you admit it. Dodge one ton can't tow 8000#,
    but a Tundra can tow 7200# - Toyota must be better
    right?"

Yes! I agree with this statemant.
    Maybe his garage is always open because he just ran in there, before you came. Try going over to your girlfriends house unannounced.
    I have i am going in a little bit. Ill put $100 down that his garage is open and his truck is in there.

Ryan
    truck, it's where is the neighbor?
  • bcobco Member Posts: 756
    bama - diggin' deep with the bco/werking thing, eh? LOL. that and the abs recall. been over THAT before...10,000 units back in aug 99. caught it in a month. next topic. oh, and check your father-in-laws pulse. he's either dead, mute, or a double amputee if he rode back there for 325 miles without a complaint. LOL.

toyunone - changed it once. one, cuz i like the new one, two because some folks get upset when you tell them the truth. so...they come after you. i give a rip what goes on here. it's when folks take it personal and take action "offline" that the entertainment ceases. as has been previously stated, i made no attempt to deceive. bama, however is still struggling to get past this major obstacle in his life.

bama - as to the fisher price interior of the chevy, maybe you'd like to tell us all how many times you've had your armrest replaced? guys on tundrats solutions seem to think the fabric on their armrests is falling apart too easily. you can call it fisher price if you like, but at least my dashboard is still in one piece after 2,000 miles - unlike your armrest. LOL

rwell - talkin' real big right now. hoping everyone forgot (like you're TRYING to) about that little vibration problem you had a while back. how those five pound wheel balance weights looking rob? LOL

toyunone - oh, so it's impressive that a weaker, smaller, but oh so much "higher tech" engine (in the tundra) gets the same (if you're lucky) gas mileage as the chevy? keep back-pedaling. you're not fooling anyone. soon rwell and bama will be telling you to stop embarrassing them just like the ford guys did when you were f150drools. won't be long before the sexual frustration shows through!

bco
  • gotribe1gotribe1 Member Posts: 81
    is that nobody uses them for anything other than personal transportation. I just returned from a trip that covered over 5000 miles, almost 4000 of them were towing 5500 lbs of trailer and gear. Yes I was in the first snow storm of the year in Wyoming! My Silverado could not have performed better. Autotrac was fantastic on the snowy and icy roads in Yellowstone. It was so bad they were closing all the roads! The truck was so filthy I couldn't tell whether it was Carmine or Indigo. It averaged 10-12mpg while towing and sometimes got over 20mpg without the trailer hooked up, in mountainous terrain yet. Once again I must report that there weren't any Tundras in the campgrounds that I stayed at; but I finally saw a Tundra towing a something more than a pair of bikes. They were towing a horse trailer, but it was a small one. That is what I was referring to when I said they don't work Tundras like people do the full size trucks. Of course a truck that is worked hard is going to get a little worn and maybe develop some rattles but I doubt that many toyotas get used the way many of us use our trucks, thats just my 2cents!
    "rwell - talkin' real big right now. hoping
    everyone forgot (like you're TRYING to) about that
    little vibration problem you had a while back."

Sorry, after having my front tires balanced, the slight shimmy is gone from the steering. Yes, I had forgotten about it. Does this disappoint you? From your seething rant, I take it you had a bad day or....?
    Since you guys have precious little ammunition to bash the Tundra with I'll let you in on some secrets. The Tundra uses the same oil filter as my 1978 toyota 4 cyl. The Rav4 has larger diameter wheels.
    That should keep you guys going for a few posts.
    ;)
    Well ill be damned tonight. I went past that guys house and the tundra moved. It was backed in the garage this time. Guy must have taken it out for its monthly gas up.

So i guess im out $50 then
    i was half right

Ryan
    it doesn't disappoint me at all. seething? where'd you come up with seething? i was laughing the whole time i was typing! like i said when it happened, i hope it works out for you. i don't wish anyone ill will just cuz they don't drive the same truck i do. i just remember how panicked you were, and how you mentioned the shot-puts they put on your wheels to get them to balance.

just funny how you wanna bash your neighbor's 'rado when you know yourself that your truck hasn't had a perfect track record.

but i'm sure you'll let us know how it was "just a wheel balance problem..." so i'll drop it now.

incidentally...my 'rado has been perfect to date. no rattles, squeaks, vibes, etc. guess i better put it in dry storage huh? LOL!

bco
  • mrurlmrurl Member Posts: 116
    I have a '00 Sierra x-cab sb 4x2 5.3l, 3.73 rear, P255/75R16. Average mileage at 16.5 mostly city driving (commuting). If I were driving a truck hundreds of pounds lighter with a 4.7l engine and only getting 16.5 I'd be pretty pissed off.

My rated towing capacity is 8600 lbs, and I won't have to change my timing belt at 60K miles either.

Peter
    You need to drop in on your girlfriend unannounced. Then see If the Tundra has moved or the garage door is closed.
    I have dropped in unannouced many a times. Yesterday though the truck had moved like i stated. Today would you beleive the garage was open and the truck wasnt there. Oh by the way the guy lives like a few blocks away not like next door.

Ryan
    "incidentally...my 'rado has been perfect to date.
    no rattles, squeaks, vibes, etc. guess i better
    put it in dry storage huh?"

I'm sure, if you wanted to tell us, there might just be something that isn't "perfect" about your rado. Your pride is keeping you from admitting to even the smallest of flaws in your heaven sent chevy.
    I've described every little problem I've had with my Tundra to help others to make a valid choice in trucks. It's kinda silly to put your pride in a truck you had no part in making. If the I-force engine blew up tomorrow, I'd be sure to let you guys know.
    I talk to BCO alot online. He has never mentioned any problems with his truck and trust me if he had any he would share he has shared all kind of info about his truck (maintenance info, oil change info, countless pics which has been a huge help). I have mentioned many times about my dash rattle. It drove me nuts for about 2 months (oh my god my truck was 100% perfect but how many are? 0). Well today i have solved the problem and it is fixed. And no i didnt sell my truck just added some foam inside the dash.

Ryan
    Good deal! Rattles are the most annoying of car problems.
    BTW, nobody seems to care that the rav4 has bigger wheels than the Tundra or that the Tundra uses the same oil filter as Toyota's 22r.
    maybe because its no big deal???

Ryan
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    I love the predictability of Bama's verse, chapter recitals.

I'm with Kyle, and actually Robbie too, a.) I don't have any problems with rattles at this time, and b.) If there is a problem, I will state it like I did when I got the steering column fixed.

Silverado brakes are better not only because they stop as quickly as Tundra, laden or empty, (see Truck Trend), but because they LAST longer. Car and Driver long term Silverado update measured the pad wear, and predicted them to last for 100,000 miles. Think about that next time the Midas cobbler is putting the shoe horn to your drums, linings.
    no, nobody cares about the rav4's wheels or oil filter, why should we?

apparently, you're the one "disappointed" that i've been so satisfied with my truck. i'm sorry if that's the case. now, you asked for it, here it is, my huge list of flaws on my "heaven sent" chevy:

1. when i put the bug deflector on, it caused a sublte "rippling" sound with the gasket around the windshield at speeds exceeding 70 mph. if it ever becomes TRULY annoying (it's been doing it for 12k miles) i just might go out and buy a tube of silicone and seal the rubber boot around the glass.
    2. it came with firestone wilderness tires on it, which i've since replaced.
    3. i didn't care for the tenneco shocks that came stock with z71 package, they were too "floaty". so, i bought a set of barely used bilsteins (which used to be oem with the z71 package, gm's just getting cheap i guess). much better.

that's it. i've told anyone who will listen the same thing. i EXPECTED when i took delivery of this truck that there would be one or two little annoying things that would taint the overall experience. that expectation was the only one not met. i have yet (in 12k miles) to find any that really upset me. the climate control functions are great. radio is great. no uneven wear of interior materials. all the controls are laid out perfectly. no squeaks, rattles, or vibrations that i've noticed (including two tire rotations and balances). gas mileage has been as good as i expected, except when i make a habit of flooring it to get on the highway - duh. do-it-yourself maintenance is easy as far as tools required and access to necessary parts. for example, the oil filter is a cinch to take off and replace. i understand it's a little more difficult with the tundra. though i've never looked - that's just what i've read. everything about my purchase was easy, especially for having bought it from a dealer in kentucky, who personally trailered it to south carolina. and one of my local dealer/service centers has done a great job of "adopting" me. my experience has yet to sour...*knock on wood*

bco
    that should read "subtle" not sublte. LOL!

and, yes, if i do experience any problems, i can
    guarantee i will be the first to post what it is
    and how it's being handled. (as i did with my
    deathstone tires...)

i can't wait to see the misinterpretations by people who think i bought a 'rado cuz the oil filter was easier to get to than a tundra! LOL!

bco
  • ratboy3ratboy3 Member Posts: 324
    the difficulty changing the oil filter on the Tundra.. have to remove or at least get the skid plate out of the way.. by the way which I thought was a heavy duty piece of metal.. turned out it was plastic.. seem like it anyway.. I was surprised about that skid plate being in the way like that.. didn't have that problem with my Tacoma.. but then again it was a 4x2 and didn't have a skid plate down there..

as for the interior.. I'm disappointed it is not fire proof hehe.. I put a little burn mark on the door panel.. that ought to teach me not to smoke in the truck anymore.. or not smoke at all period!
    stop trying to create arguments rob. We already know your Tundra is sh*t without you telling us...

bco
    What! No remarks about the Dodge lawsuit? Did you tire of posting your nonsensensical flames and actually read the article for yourself? Still no apology for Toytunone? That's a sign of a little man.
This discussion has been closed.