Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus ES 350

Comments

• tomdtomd Member Posts: 87
    My understanding is that Toyota places the fuel economy over drivability.

If that's true, there are certainly enough cars, trucks, etc. in the Toyota family where they can favor fuel economy to boost the fleet average and while I'm not suggesting that they ignore fuel economy for the Lexus line, I think they need to favor drivability for the Lexus line if they really want to compete with the likes of MB, BMW and Audi.
  • ricwilliricwilli Member Posts: 10
    One or two MPG?? MB is touting their excellent 21 MPG highway on their TV ads...I am getting 30 MPG highway and 21 MPG city. I have a June build Premium Plus with Nav and have had zero problems! I love this car, and I came from a performance car (2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP). I wish I could find some fault but with 2,500 miles I have found none!
  • ncdaydreamerncdaydreamer Member Posts: 31
    Problems with gear slippage in the six-speed automatic transmission in the ES350 cannot be duplicated by a drive around the block. The vehicle must be driven at least 20 miles under specific parameters (set by Lexus USA engineers) for speed and RPMs. The technician reports back the findings to the engineers and they determine if your transmission is "DOA". However, probably all of the "bad" transmissions were released in vehicles produced in March and April, 2006.

It has been stressed in this forum before, regarding "cannot duplicate" for transmission problems: insist that your Lexus dealership open a trouble ticket with Lexus USA. Lexus engineers will help the technician troubleshoot the problem and, if warranted, have them use the parameters for checking the transmission. If your dealership is not cooperative in doing this, call Lexus USA Customer Service. Do not accept your vehicle back from them until they have done so or Lexus USA Customer Service resolves your complaint. Signing the repair ticket, to get your car back, is stating that you are satisfied with the work (or lack of) as satisfactory.

If your transmission proves to be defective, you do not have to settle for a transmission replacement right away. Call Lexus USA Customer Service and tell them you are not satisfied with the decision to replace your transmission, especially if it is low mileage, and that you want another vehicle, your money back or tell them you have purchased your last Lexus.

Lexus USA will work with your dealership and the regional Lexus USA office to settle your dispute. One of three outcomes will result, if your transmission is defective: 1. You will still be offered a replacement transmission. 2. Lexus USA will buy back your vehicle. 3. Lexus USA will find you another Lexus, even if you choose a different model and color (you must pay the difference in MSRP between vehicles). Naturally, they are going to offer you a new transmission first. If you accept this offer, it is like a criminal history report for your vehicle; it is forever "flagged" that it has a replacement transmission, in the Lexus service records.

The person that speaks to you, from Lexus USA Customer Service, becomes your advocate in helping you resolve your complaint and will communicate with you until the issue is resolved. Even after that decision, you can still tell Lexus USA Customer Service that you request an arbitrator to assist in the dispute. Lexus USA really will help you, when your dealership is either uncooperative or does not fix your car to your satisfaction. You do not have to sign the repair ticket and accept the vehicle until you are satisfied.

As a footnote, anytime there is a problem with your vehicle and the dealership cannot fix it or they cannot duplicate the problem, ask your service representative if the technician has opened a trouble ticket with Lexus USA for help in resolving the problem. Sometimes, there is a fix or reported issue that local dealerships are not away of because Lexus USA has not released a service bulletin.

Lexus USA would rather have a "happy" customer than a dissatisfied one. Happy customers are good advertisers for Lexus and more likely to purchase another Lexus.
  • nhislopnhislop Member Posts: 2
    I have had my ES350 (black/black) for about 3 weeks and have also noticed a significant rattle coming from above the stereo area, but towards the back of the dashboard (sounds like it's near the center speaker on the top of the dashboard). I took it into the dealer yesterday, they claimed to have fixed it, but in fact hadn't :mad:

Did the dealership fix therattle? If so, how?
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    )) "Call Lexus USA Customer Service and tell them you are not satisfied with the decision to replace your transmission, especially if it is low mileage, and that you want another vehicle, your money back or tell them you have purchased your last Lexus." ((

All high-sounding fiction that ignores the fundemental fact that under all so-called "Lemon-Law" statutes, an automanufacturer is extended the opportunity to repair a given vehicle malfunction three times (four in some states) before the vehicle owner may seek court redress in seeking a vehicle exchange or buy-back. Vehicle warranties are not a fundemental federal or state constitutionally protected legal "right" - they're a purely marketing-driven, voluntarily-entered into contract issued by automakers, though once done, are enforceable through the Federal Trade Commission and individual state consumer advocacy agencies, the latter usually operated through state attorney general's offices, such that if the vehicle owner does such and such in the way of prescribed maintenance and operation, the vehicle manufacturer will likewise do such and such as spelled out in the warranty supplement booklet or section in the owner's manual (the vehicle owner's copy of the contract provisions) to repair listed parts and systems. Another of the provisions reserved by automakers in those contracts is the use of factory rebuilt or factory-approved rebuilt parts, when available, in executing warranty service.
  • ronwynronwyn Member Posts: 16
    Car has been at dealer since 10/23. When I went to pick it up on the 25th they discovered a bulletin on the transmission. Car is still at dealership and I will not get it back until next week. Stated the kit they need to install is on back order and it will take care of engine noise and transmission, that remains to be seen. They are also replacing drivers seat because of the headrest. Car was manufactured in July 06 so possibly the problem still exists with the transmissions.
  • frostyrfrostyr Member Posts: 20
    They didn't fix it. They said they can't reproduce the sound. I didn't have time to take a ride with them but will do it the next time.

Please tell me if and when they fix your problem. It sounds like you have the same noise.
  • vpatelvpatel Member Posts: 17
    How do I check which month my car was built?
    I have the same cold transmission slippage/gear searching.
    To my suprise,I was ginen a new new es350 loaner last week with only 20 miles on the clock.It also did the cold tranny slippage.
    I would appreciate it if someone can help me on date of manufacture on my es350.
    I picked it up in Sept.I only have 600 miles on it.
    Thanks
    Open the drivers door and the label with manufacture date should be there.
    "All high-sounding fiction that ignores the fundemental fact that under all so-called "Lemon-Law" statutes, an automanufacturer is extended the opportunity to repair a given vehicle malfunction three times (four in some states) before the vehicle owner may seek court redress in seeking a vehicle exchange or buy-back."

Are you stating something useful to Lexus vehicle owners with transmission problems?

Buying a Lexus is not the same experience as purchasing a Toyota Camry and even more so than a vehicle from an American-owned vehicle manufacturer. Unless you have utilized Lexus USA Customer Service, concerning transmission problems, you have no basis to compare the service or Lexus warranties to your loquacious knowledge of information that is probably more suited to the Ford forum.

The Japanese government holds Toyota/Lexus to a higher standard than the FTC. Just like German and French beer and wine quality are regulated by the governments of those nations, vehicle manufacturers in Japan are regulated for quality compliance. Toyota was actually fined this year for slow response in correcting a vehicle problem and slow response in notiftying customers who purchased the vehicles. Unfortunately, once vehicles are delivered to Toyota or Lexus USA, they are not subject to Japanese govermental control. Luckily for us, Lexus USA is concerned with customer satisfaction.

I sincerely believe that there is not a need to threaten Lexus USA with your legal rights under state and federal vehicle-warranty legislation, unless you choose to, nor will you find that Lexus dealerships are going to state the rights afforded them under the same laws to you.

I have personally utilized Lexus USA Customer Service with one of the ES350s with a bad transmission. The result was that the representative at Lexus USA acted as my advocate, coordinated activities between me, the Lexus USA regional office and my local Lexus dealership. The result was that Lexus USA purchased back my ES350 Premium-Package vehicle, let me order a UL Edition with a different color, supplied me with an ES330 until my vehicle arrived and paid all of the transaction, title transfer and tag fees, all without any hassle whatsoever and I received a personalized letter from Lexus USA and the dealership, thanking me for my patience and purchasing another vehicle from Lexus. My "advocate" from Lexus USA then called me to see if I was satisfied with the transaction and if they could be of any further assistance.

That same service is afforded every Lexus owner, unless you don't want to use it and choose the Ralph-Nader approach as stated earlier.
  • zekeman1zekeman1 Member Posts: 422
    Excellent information.
  • beltelmelbeltelmel Member Posts: 6
    If you call Lexus Corporate (1-800-255-3987) and give them your VIN they will tell you the "exact" date the car was built.
    "Ralph Nader" approach? Again, you overlook the rational in pursuit of an ill-defined ideal - which seems to be changing with your subsequent post. If I'm not mistaken, it was you who explored the notion of opening buy-back litigation (if that isn't a "Ralph Nader" approach, then you're living in denial) as a means of reconciling unproductive warranty service and now are heralding Lexus Division of Toyota Motor Company's superalitve customer service. (Under the skin of every Lexus ES 350 beats the heart of a Toyota Camry V6, by the way - same powertrain, same basic body platform/suspension componentry. You may find it personally convenient to overlook the ES 350's humble parentage, but that won't make it go away. ;)). What I posted regarding opening a "Lemon Law" buyback case was FACT based on referenced law in these United States of America. How Toyota chooses to deal with issues in Japan is between Toyota and the Japanese government, and certainly not applicable in the U.S. You're free to disagree with any and all facts you choose to, but, at the risk of stating the obvious, facts are still facts. But, just to show you that I'm a standup guy, I'll graciously afford your the opportunity for the final word on the subject in this thread if that's all it'll take to calm you down. Have a nice day. :D
  • suddocsuddoc Member Posts: 1
    I have had my Lexus Es 350 for about four months and unlike many others have not had any transmission problems. However at about 5000 miles I began noticing a slight rattle in the dashboard in the region of the vents. When I took the car in for the 5000 mile check I reported the rattle and was told by service that this was not uncommon and seemed to be related to the cooler weather in the Northeast ( I didn't notice it in the summer. They were actually repair two cars the days that I brought it in. Anyway they do have a kit to repair it and it is on warranty. I takes about 3 hour to repair as they have to remove the dashboard. I took my car in for the repair today and it seems much better but not totally gone. When I turned up the heat it seemed to go away.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Actually, ncdaydreamer has provided some very helpful information from his own experience. I'm sure his information and advice will be useful to other Lexus owners. Let's be careful not to make this personal.
  • rileyjrileyj Member Posts: 13
    ronwyn,

Do you have the service bulletin number and the name of the kit that they will install to your car to fix the cold engine noise and transmission problems?
    Point taken, Pat. It won't happen again.
  • frostyrfrostyr Member Posts: 20
    Thanks for the info. I don't know if I want them to take the dashboard apart. I'm not sure that they'll put it back together correctly.
    It's great that they knew about the service bulletins subdoc and that you told them that you hade a problem with the dash.

I've found that, when it comes to service bulletins, if you don't tell your service advisor that you are having a problem with something, different service techs will not always tell you about service bulletins that exist to fix specific problems. Tell them everything that is "bugging" you, no matter how slight.

When I purchased my car and was introduced to the service department, I picked a service tech that I had a very good rapport with from my previous experience with my ES330. I always make my service appointments with that service tech. I always ask him/her, confidentially, what service bulletins have come out for the ES350. I may not have that specific problem but I know there is a fix if it does happen.

The negative side of that is that you can be like a hypochondriac with your ES350, waiting and listening for a problem covered by a specific bulletin. The positive side side is that if you discover there is a service bulletin, you might remember that you do have that problem but forgot about it until you were reminded.

Either way, it doesn't effect your relationship with the service department because all the service bulletins are warrantable items that they will be reimbursed by Lexus USA for fixing. It's just a policy of "don't ask don't tell" or probably "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

And don't forget, if you have a problem with your ES350 that is new and there is not a service bulletin for, ask the service tech to have the mechanic enter the problem into the Lexus database, asking for help from the engineers. This way, Lexus USA will be looking for your specific problem and issue a service bulletin that may save time and help the rest of us if that problem occurs in our vehicles.
  • dreyfusdreyfus Member Posts: 24
    I agree with egm1, don't pass on this fine car due to problems you read here.

The very nature of forums is that they're skewed towards people who have problems. This doesn't mean that those problems aren't real, but it does mean that transmission problem (or other problem) posts will far outnumber no transmission (or other problem) posts.

There are definitely a significant number of ES350s with transmission issues (too many). Most, but by no means all of them have occurred in pre-July builds. Most owners with these problems have had their situations successfully resolved by Lexus, usually via a new transmission or car. There are also a number of owners who aren't happy with the attention they've been getting from Lexus about this and are voicing their displeasure. This is as it should be and is what these forums are for.

For the record, my March build has had no problems other than the Climate Voice Recognition problem that was covered by a TSIB and fixed via a warranty replacement of the display screen.

The power, comfort, styling, features, fuel economy, and total value of this car continue to make it my first choice among automobiles. If my ES350 was totalled tomorrow, I'd buy another one before the week was up. It's a great car.
  • tdohtdoh Member Posts: 298
    FWIW--here's my two cents' worth regarding this issue...based on both my own experience w/ the tranny flare issue, and from reading other posts about it:

My ES 350 is a 7/06 build, and it too has the 3-4 tranny flare; however--or, so far--in my case it "only" happens:

a) shortly after a cold start;
    b) only if I can get up to speed so as to get to the 3-4 upshift, in a relatively short amount of time (by that I don't necessarily mean accelerate as if trying to set a new 0-60 time)--see point e);
    c) when the flare does happen it happens just once during the current engine cycle, although in all fairness I did not test under multiple acceleration/deceleration/acceleration runs within a short timeframe to see if I could get the flare to repeat;
    d) for the moment, the flare results in the engine revs going up only around 500 rpm;
    e) if after a cold start I manage to drive around a minute (possibly in combination w/ having the car idle for about a minute during cold-start warm up) w/o having yet reached a 3-4 upshift (quite possible, as I have to drive in a residential area where kids are walking to school), the flare does not occur once I encounter the first 3-4 upshift;
    f) was observed under "normal" throttle application--i.e., at most I was accelerating like any sensible driver would...at worst, I was almost driving like a granny. Or to put it another way--if someone had stated that the flare only occurs if the throttle was at least moderately-applied (e.g., fairly-brisk acceleration)...well I can tell you now that one doesn't need to mash the gas pedal--even halfway--in order to get the flare to occur.

Given the above, it would seem that my issue isn't as bad compared to some of the others I've read about here and elsewhere. Not to say that it should be acceptable period, but given my specific circumstances it would appear somewhat difficult to convince the dealer to do anything as "drastic" as either replacing the tranny or buying back my car. Also--I read that supposedly the dealer won't even bother fixing the flare issue unless the rpm surge is at least 1000 rpm and can be duplicated easily (during cold start conditions). This flare issue hasn't (yet) affected the overall driving function of my ES, so it's not as if I'm not getting my money's worth...so for now I'll be content just acting as if there is no flare issue in my car until it becomes a major issue which would make a visit to my dealer completely unavoidable.
  • coolcowcoolcow Member Posts: 4
    tdoh,

Mine is mostly like what you described. I've noticed this 3-4 upshift flare (around 500 rpm) from the very begining of my ownership. The car is also a 7/06 build. I am more and more concerned after reading all other posts. The gear shifts are also rough when the car is cold. I can obviously feel every shift. :confuse: What about yours?

I drove with my dealer this morning, but couldn't reproduce that on a flat road. I don't know whether this happens more often uphill...
  • coolcowcoolcow Member Posts: 4
    Mine is also a July 06 build. The flare is not as dramatic as others, only about 500rpm...
  • vluuvluu Member Posts: 100
    Thanks for your reply. Believe me.... passing up on the ES350 isn't an easy decision. I wanted to get a new car before the end of the year... but I'm wondering if I wait until Feb-March 2007, maybe by then... some of the issues with the transmission will be identified and solved.

I'm currently looking at a 2006 Acura RL, but it doesn't "Wow" me like the ES350, but at the same time both cars are about the same price... but the RL has an edge b/c it has the SH-AWD. That is handy..... since I live where there is a bad weather and snow.

I may reconsider?
  • vluuvluu Member Posts: 100
    Mine is also a July 06 build. The flare is not as dramatic as others, only about 500rpm...

Does anyone have a transmission flare/issue with a ES350 build after 7/06? Just trying to pinpoint maybe when Lexus fixes and identifies the transmission issue.
  • meadoelmeadoel Member Posts: 18
    I'm in the same boat. I drove an RL last year. For $53k it didn't wow me. Since you can get RL's fo about 40k right now it's suddently a worthy competitor.

My biggest hesitation is that it looks like an Accord. I don't want to pay $40k for a "nice" Accord.
  • ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    Would you pay 40k for a "nice" Camry ;)
  • wavebreakerwavebreaker Member Posts: 8
    I've got an 08/06 build and have the same flare as described by tdoh. It only occurs once each day when very cold and only on the first 3-4 shift. blip is about 500 rpm. Does not effect my enjoyment of the car one bit. If it did it every shift, then maybe.... but once a day while the eng and transmission temp are warming up is not an issue. It is much like th throttle blip being designed into downshifting transmissions these days
  • austincharlesaustincharles Member Posts: 10
    No kidding

I still can't tell the difference between the ES350 and the Camry when going down the road. I have to be right up on it to tell.

I just didn't see the WOW in the 350 ever.

Nice car but looks WAY to much like a Camry. Drove to loose for me. It did have all the bell's & whistles though. But just could not pay top dollar for a car that seemed no more than a super nice Camry.
    To each his own.
  • jaspalbjaspalb Member Posts: 84
    I need to find month and year of manufacture of my ES 350. It is told to be on a sticker at the driver side post, but I don't find it there. I just find, besides VIN, stickers with tire pressures and some airbag information. VIN has year coded in it, but not the month. Any help please?
    rileyj

I do not have that information as my car is still at the dealership (Oct 23 - Present). It seems that they do not have the kit and it is back ordered. I did read on a previous post that someone did have it installed and the part # was TC 004-06. I do not know if that is the kit they intend to install on my transmission.
  • beltelmelbeltelmel Member Posts: 6
    Call Lexus Corporate Customer Service at: 1-800-255-3987
    Give them your VIN number and they will give you the "exact date" your car was built.
  • bishop4bishop4 Member Posts: 6
    I live in the Indianapolis area and put money down on a Ruby Red ES350 back on 10/7 and still don't have car. Is this kind of wait common? Car is not special order just want Ruby Red w/Black Interior.
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    Yeah, ok! I bet if a magazine didn't tell you that the Camry and ES350 shared a platform you couldn't tell the difference by sitting in it, driving it, or looking at it!

the statement "I can't tell the difference between a Camry & ES350" is a old played out lame joke!
  • psychdocpsychdoc Member Posts: 147
    I have a ruby red/black UL and it took about 6 weeks to get delivery. I got it on June 8th.

Be patient, you'll love it.

It's not a perfect car by any means, but for the money it's a steal.
    Hey, i didn't like the car. I thought it drove like a Park Avenue.

"Yeah, ok! I bet if a magazine didn't tell you that the Camry and ES350 shared a platform you couldn't tell the difference by sitting in it, driving it, or looking at it!"

Your words LOL then why pay more for a 350? just get the Camry same car but the Lexus blows air up your butt.

I ended up with a BMW 530. They don't call it the Ultimate driving machine for nothing. But if the Lexus drove like any other car in it's class then i could agree to spend the extra money, but to spend all that money to drive a Park Avenue i just could not do it.

It is a nice car but to think that it stands out from a Camry on the road your just kidding yourself.
    If you ended up with a BMW and not the 350, why are you on the 350 forum badmouthing the Lexus? Why do you care...you now have the "perfect" car (for you) :confuse: :confuse: :confuse: So what if the 350 is a pumped up Camry (in your opinion)...many, many owners are extremely pleased with their Lexus...enjoy your 530 and give the accolades on it to the 530 forum! ;)
    I'm not bad mouthing Lexus at all we own a 330. I thought that Lexus would have done a little better job at distinguishing the two.(Camry)

Also i'm sad that Lexus can't get the handling right. I looked up what Car & Driver wrote and it is right on as to how it felt to me. I had hoped that the new 350 would handle different from my 330.

""Lexus claims it has put some extra starch in the ES350’s suspension to stiffen up its road manners, but we didn’t sense it. What we did experience was the same softly damped body motions and lots of predictable understeer. When it comes to handling, the ES350 is still as dull as a butter knife rather than as sharp as a scalpel, as our mediocre 0.75-g skidpad result indicates. We did notice a trait that the ES has always shared with the Camry: the annoying habit of feeding road imperfections back through the steering wheel without letting the driver know what’s going on with the front tires. Switching from all-season radials to a dedicated summer tire would probably help the situation, but that might also make the ride less buttery smooth.

The ES350 isn’t about excitement or sporty driving — it’s meant to get you from point A to point B in a stylish manner with the least amount of fuss and stress. And it does that damn near perfectly.""
    I really wanted to get the WOW effect in the 350 but Lexus just can't seem to get it into their entry level sedans. For the money you can't beat Lexus. Most comfortable car i own, but to say they got it right NO WAY.

as to why i still read these forums... when we were shopping for a car i came here. I started to see the complaints on the transmission, so i still follow the threads.

I'll leave LOL
    Lexus would have done a little better job at distinguishing the two.(Camry)
    How about BMW - what is the distinguishing difference in that line (until you get into the upper level) besides the price?

Suspension and ride is subjective - what is a fantastic ride to one person is mediocre for the next person - just depends on what you're used to or what you want (and how much of a purist you are or think you might be).

"WOW effect" - see paragraph above.

Transmission problems? I have an Avalon LTD (05) and the 07 350, both of which are supposedly notorious with transmission issues. None for me so far - both cars have been perfect so I can't knock either.

I had an 02 ES300 and can only compare the 07 to that one; true, the 07 is less of a "sport model" than the 300 but that was pretty obvious, so I didn't expect the same with the 07. Overall, I'm extremely pleased with what I got as I'm sure you are, with your BMW.
  • joelee72joelee72 Member Posts: 2
    Sorry, but this may have been posted in earlier discussions. But have anyone find the secret menu for the navigation system 6.1 which can override some of the limitations?
  • curt2005curt2005 Member Posts: 70
    "i'm sad that Lexus can't get the handling right."

That is why Lexus forked the low-end product line into two lines, the ES and the IS. The ES is for us stodgy types. :)
  • amf1932amf1932 Member Posts: 79
    Quote: "The ES is for us stodgy types."
    When will you learn that YOU CAN'T HAVE IT ALL
    If you're looking for a car with a smooth, super comfortable, quiet car, then get the ES, and if a harder riding, uncomfortable car, then the IS is for you. That's exactly why I traded in my Porsche 911 and BMW 330!! :P
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    With all the problems people are reporting, one could reasonably conclude that the 07 Camry and ES would do no better than average in its first year reliability. But looks like in the Car issue of Consumer Reports, both the gasoline and the Hybrid Camry does better than average and the Lexus ES 350 does much better than average in reliability ratings. Just goes to show one cannot reach conclusion based on internet forums exclusively.
  • larrymitlarrymit Member Posts: 80
    Here's how to override the greyed out buttons while the car is in motion: http://www.wikihow.com/Override-Lexus-Navigation-Motion-Lock

You must do this each time the car is restarted. Follow the instructions exactly. I don't know what damage you could do if you pressed the wrong thing.

Also, only do this if you have a passenger who can program the Nav. It is dangerous to try to drive and enter destinations into the Nav at the same time.
  • jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    Larrymit, the poster was asking about v6.1, which, aparently, doesn't have the override capability, or at least it hasn't been published here yet. The instructions you linked to work for v5.1
  • larrymitlarrymit Member Posts: 80
    I didn't catch the version. But my ES350, delivered about a month ago, still has 5.1, so maybe this will be helpful to some.
  • jaspalbjaspalb Member Posts: 84
    Does anybody know how the tire pressure measurement works?
  • psychdocpsychdoc Member Posts: 147
    Consumer Reports does their car issue in April and even if they did a piece of the ES 350 now it still hasn't been out long enough to have established a reliability track record.

Just exactly (month, page) where did you see this in Consumer Reports?
  • andy82471andy82471 Member Posts: 120
    Go to either Waldon Books or Barns & Nobles and checkout the auto issue of CR. The CR's new car issue comes out in November and not April. You have to remember, the 07 ES and Camry were released earlier than usual so they have 6 months of data to draw their conclusion.
This discussion has been closed.