Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Tundra vs the Big 3 Continued IV

Comments

• mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    That you?

- Tim
  • rwellbaum2rwellbaum2 Member Posts: 1,006
    Rube,
    Explain them chevy frayed wires, cross-threaded bolts, clunking rear-end and steering that wears out right after the warranty expires. Your feeble old tobacco stained brain can't comprehend what we all know. $33,000 Chevy truck = repair after repair after repair...!!
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    33K msrp not actual out the door price. RWELL why cant you understand that????

Ryan
    ...driving "the truck that just wasn't quite big enough"....aka Tundra will do that to people...

as I've said.....where's the 2500/3500 Tundra?....I guess they gotta make a 1500 size first!?

Dohh!

- Tim
  • justtheonejusttheone Member Posts: 403
    Them folks aint got the envy, they be mad. They got tricked into buyin em, and now they be knowin it just be this years t100 one! That factory has tricked a few, but not too many. If ya goin work em, get ya a full size big3 one. Good luck on this one now!
    haha hes back !!!!!

Ryan
  • bcobco Member Posts: 756
    post #404 mission accomplished...
    Yep BCO way to go!!! This topic is back on track

Ryan
  • ratboy3ratboy3 Member Posts: 324
    The posts here are hilarious as I have said before. But it's sad to run into a live person with such bitterness towards my rice burner. Yep ran into one the other day. Came out of nowhere and screamed at me to take my [non-permissible content removed] truck back to where it came from (apparently he hates Indiana?!)or at least drive it like a man (doing 47 on a 45)
    I couldn't quite hear the rest of his rambling because he's got those really loud tires and those double exhaust things. Last thing I saw before he sped off was the mud flaps with the Yosamite Sam character saying 'Back off!'. I guess he really hates [non-permissible content removed] and my kind, yeah I am of Asian background.
    He better not hate indiana. Ill have to show him a little something about how indiana people settle things. RATBOY keep me updated if he bothers you anymore or talks bad about indiana. Thanks

Ryan
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    Robbie,

700+ posts, 20 pages on Shakerundras!

50+ posts about non-Shakerundras!
    Yep,
    540 of those posts are by one person..."erkme73". 3-4 others have posted hundreds as well. BTW, how'd your Silverado buyback go? I heard you got screwed on the miles. Oh well, I hear they've got all the bugs worked out on the 2001 Silverado. I guess you'll be pluckin' your money down on another lemorado! ;) LOL
    Them little ones aint got no haul in em. If they aint got no haul, then how is folks goin work em? Eyeball that bed now, that bed aint deep enough for haulin. Them t100 ones had that bigger bed for sure, and there aint no haul in them too. I just cant figure what folks be doin with them littler ones, cept chasin that fad. They sure aint workin em anyways. Good luck on this one now!
    Rube,
    Your too old to drive and have not even so much as sat in a Tundra. Try to keep whats left of your mind on things you know about, like them coffin nails you help make. You best keep to peddlin' your death sticks to the target group, that'd be the young folk now!
    get in a tundra once...damn thing tried to chop my leg off!!! ROTFLMAO!!! couldn't resist!

bco
  • jcmdiejcmdie Member Posts: 594
    Don't even try gettin in the back of one of those tundras if you have even a hint of claustraphobia. And make sure you have a few buddies around to help you get out if you get stuck.
    i think 540 is a little high for ole erkme73. you might be exagerating a bit. but i'm not when i point out that ONE of the NINE HUNDRED AND SEVENTY-SEVEN was made by a certain someone at 1:47 PM on August 28th... ;)

"I have joined the ranks of the vibrating Tundra owners. At 13,000 miles I rotated the tires (back tires are now on the front). I got a slight shimmy @58-63mph. Took it to the dealer and had the front tires balanced. There is still a slight shimmy at the above speeds. My tires are 32 psi all the way around. I do not have any braking vibes or other problems. I'm going to jack up the front and check for tire runout and bulges. Incidently, when looking at the balance weights on the front tires, I cannot tell if anything was changed. Normally, you can see an outline of the dirt where a weight was removed."

bco
    I wonder why would someone have utter disgust for an innate object such as a truck. Yeah I bought a different object than yours but why try and dig it into my skull the difference. I may or may not know the difference but I don't really care. It's all personal preference, as far as my decision anyway. I know some have chosen what they bought for some purpose. And I do hope that it is the best suit for them. Nothing better than a whole bunch of happy content people. Except for the clown that yelled at me the other day. Bitter bitter man for actually telling me off on the road because I drove something different.
    that's just plain ignorance. no room for it, but unfortunately it exists. where did this happen (what state)?

bco
    i guess i didn't realize 1080 pounds was sooo much. quad/rube...there's a thread over there called something like: "who uses their tundra as a work truck?" too...there are a whole SEVEN replies to THAT one. maybe the post below answers why... LOL!!!

thread: "TRD Suspension Bottoms Out?"

"Okay, here's an interesting one for you all.
    I've done some research on the boards in regards to this topic, and I've seen other people with similar problems.

Here's the situation:

Yesterday afternoon (10/18/00), I went to the local Home Depot to get some gardening stuff. This gardening stuff comprised of 4 bags of mulch (60 lbs total), 2 75 lb bags of sand (150 lbs total), 4 fire extinguishers (for my home, my mom's home, my wife's car, and my Tundra), and 24 2 foot long edger bricks (about 600 lbs). Total weight is estimated at 810 lbs of payload, excluding myself (240lbs) and the fire extingushers (30lbs). Myself and the fire extinguishers included, this only is 1080 lbs.

Now, upon leaving Home Depot, I ran over 5 sets of speed bumps (rather, crawled over). Each time, my suspension in the rear bottomed out with a rather severe clunk. Payload was with the heaviest stuff (the edger bricks) towards the center of the truck, sand in the middle, and mulch in the back.

Confused, I parked the Tundra to the side, and reversed the load (bricks to the rear toward the tailgate, mulch and sand towards the cab). I ran over the same 5 speed bumps again and the suspension bottomed out just as badly.

So, since I will be hauling bricks and stuff, what helper spring/suspension upgrade do you all recommend ? The most I've ever hauled before this was about 300-400 lbs worth of furniture. I've seen the Firestone Air Springs, and the Hellwig suspension stuff...which one would you all recommend ? How easy was it to install ? Etc.

Thanks again.

Steve"

bco
    I've posted even the slightest problems I've encountered (stuff chevy owners would think is normal). When I rotated my tires the steering had a slight shimmy at 58-63mph. Getting a good balance job corrected the barely perceptible problem. Of course you know all this already! Why are you mentioning this anyway? In regards to the 500+ posts by "erkeme73" anyone can verify that on the Tundrasolutions site. BTW Kyle, you look silly questioning easily verified information.
    Damn straight it was plain ignorance. It's quite funny now that I think about it. I'm Arizona. I hope I dont run into that clown again. I might actually do something dumber.
    Thought maybe you'd learn by now. The amount of negative posts about your Shakerado is endless.

"After logging 7400 mile in 3.5 weeks I have other
    observations to make, some minor:
    -Gas mileage sucks! But I knew that from the
    get-go.
    -The rear plastic hub-cap lugs tend to loosen
    after long highway runs. I just snugged them down
    and check them often.
    -The 2WD (tires with E rating) will get stuck in
    wet grass or soft sand, especially without load.
    Trust me, it's embarrassing!
    -The convenient cup holder vibrates a lot, drinks
    require lids.
    -I have decided that I don't like the 4 DR cab.
    Although a convenience, it appears to lack
    durability, and prone to future leaks. loading or unloading the back seat. QUESTION? Have others experienced similar
    problems?
    Robert Klein"
    More testement to the great quality of the Silverado:
    "I still haven't decided for sure if I want
    to take a chance on getting another shaker. My
    arbitration hearing was last Tuesday for requesting
    a buy-back on my 2K Sierra. I drove a 2001
    Silverado LT a few weeks ago and the steering wheel
    vibrated badly at about 68 mph. I was very
    disappointed, as I thought surely they had fixed
    this problem by now."
    mission accomplished. rob...seriously, that's the best you could do? barely perceptible? that's why you posted in the tundra vibes thread, huh? "i've joined your ranks with my barely perceptible vibe..." LOL! and frankly, no, i don't consider wheels out of balance normal. not that i'd know...hasn't happened to me. let's answer some of these complaints now...

gas mileage sucks? better than a tundra (or any comparably equipped full-size out there) how many folks buy a 285 hp full-sized truck for gas mileage anyhow?

plastic lugs on wheel caps? mine have been fine...you can hand-tighten them for pete's sake! rather have problems with that than have my legs chopped off each time i pause getting in my truck! LOL!

*** news flash for those driving 2wd trucks*** ...your rear wheels will tend to slip more easily on wet grass, in soft sand, and in snowy or icy conditions...
    how many people do you REALLY think are surprised about that statement?

vibrating cupholders? uh...ok, i guess i'll concede that one (though it's not a problem i've heard much about)...LOL 'bout as big a problem as the premature (less than 400 miles in some cases) armrest wear in your tundra.

four door extended cab: "appears to lack durability, and prone to future leaks" APPEARS? huh? ok...looks like all major truck makers screwed the proverbial pooch on that one...doh!

say...what about johnny home depot who's TuRD suspension bottomed out as he "crawled" over speed bumps with a whopping 1080 pounds in his bed? guess he needs to be heading up that 28 degree grade with 18 people in the truck for that not to happen, eh? LOL!!!

bco
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    I mean this is like watching reruns of Star Trek. You know exactly what's going to happen and what each person is going to say..... ;)
    "Earlier this week I took my 2000 Tundra in for vibration problems and got a 2001 Tundra SR5, Ex-cab, TRD as a loaner. That particular 2001 did have some very minor vibrations @ 56-58. This was only noticable when you got to those speeds and let go of the steering wheel. 2001 had 46 miles on OD with BFG tires. The center console vibration has been minimized by the addition of a plate attached to the transmission hump and a runner to the seat assembly. This modification has greatly reduced the seat/console vibrations. Unfortunatly, this fix is only avalible on the 2001 model at this time.
    Tried to get the dealer to install the 2001 seat fix and was told "your 2000 was built that way"! If one takes that statement one step futher then why is Toyota even attempting to fix warped rotors, bad break pads and other vibration problems when "it was built that way"!
    Go figure.... I won't give up till it is fixed!"

or...

"My Tundra vibrates intermittently. Some days it does it and can go a couple of days without, unless I do the following. Take truck up to 56-64 mph on a straight road and let go of the steering wheel. More than likely you will notice the steering wheel shimmy at some point. When there isn't a more noticable vibration, this test will rear the ugly vibration problem. This was the case for the 2001 "loaner" Tundra I drove as well as my own when it seems ok. Hope your vibs are gone! Don't need another member to the vibrating Tundra club...."
    had a crappy day...thought i'd lighten it up a bit and it worked! going home with a smile on my face now. got rob all worked up and should definitely have some interesting reading waiting for me in the morning...

bco
    Looks like that factory smoke be clearin way. Folks who put the load in them little ones be learnin quick bout that lack of haul. Facts is facts, and thats the truth of it now. They aint got no haul, just like them t100 ones. They aint no "full size" one, thats for sure. Use your eyes on this one, the eyes dont lie. They be goin the way of them t100 ones for sure. Good luck on this one now!
  • swobigswobig Member Posts: 634
    robbie's response - but mines better than yours, won't answer your questions, and then sling some more mud - sound familiar???
  • bamatundrabamatundra Member Posts: 1,583
    I could hear BCO squeeling - scrambling to do some damage control. Problem is - only the Chevy pack is naive enough to believe his B.S.

Phelps - "Your mission - should you decide to accept it is to act like a total fool."

B.C.O. - "Mission accomplished!"

It wasn't too much of a stretch for him - he doesn't even know what ideological means much less how to spell it. Maybe he isn't acting.
    : launch shudder (wilver1) Sat 07 Oct '00 (01:01 PM)

vehicle-99 c1500 ex cab, 3 dr, 5.3L, 460 trans,
    3.73 dif, 75r16 tires at 44 psi, rated to tow 8200.
    problem (1); launch shudder.
    when connected to 7200lb fifthwheel (wet), from
    dead stop to 8 to 10 mph dashboard shudders
    violentl,like will the guts fall out before the
    dash tears off? above 8/10 mph problem disappears.
    does not recur under any load or road conditions.
    not temp relater-weather or engine coolant. road
    surface - no impact.
    history;
    1200 mi, egr code reset, no problem found.
    1500 mi, transmission self destructs, replaced
    with factory new unit. launch shudder begins.

6 trips to local (selling) dealer with following
    action.
    replaced both rear springs and shackles
    replaced all four tires
    two trys at wedging pinion shaft angle
    tried heavy shocks
    replaced front spindles
    all replacements same as original factory.
    launch shudder continues......

problem (2) degraded performance
    19000 mi egr code again.
    outstate dealer clears code, reprograms computer
    to retard timing, lower shift points, and who knows
    what else ((?). local dealer refuses to reset
    computer back to factory settings. says all are
    within gm guide lines.

what was a strong pulling gutsy engine is now a
    slug, trans down shifts continue on the slightest
    grade as the tach heads for the red line.gas
    mileage down two and one half mpg across the
    board.local dealer has been kind, courteous, seems
    to be honestly trying to help within gm rules
    anyone outhere with similar problems ? fixes or
    improvements? would especially like to hear from
    anyone pulling rv trailers.

Come on BCO - I want to hear your damage control on this one. Or will you leave with your tail between your legs? Regretting opening up this can of worms - aren't you?
    I assume you got my email address off Edmunds.com? I have a 99 GMC Z71 ext cab, 5.3 motor. My problems have been: 1: torque converter would make a grinding noise when it locked in at 40 mph. They re-programmed the the trans so it locks in at 54 mph. 2: now my I get 11.5 to 12.3 mpg in town driving and 14.3 best driving 50/50 highway/city. 3: when I shift from D to R I get a loud clank like bad u joints. It seems that the clank is coming from the trans or transfer case. If I get under the truck and turn the short front drive shaft you can hear the clanking. I think the 4x4 is still partly locked in. If I take off from a stop and turn I can hear the front tires start to slip, especially when the front tires are in sand. 4: it shifts hard into 3rd gear when driving like grandma at about 23mph. it sounds like slack builds up in the drive train and when 3rd grabs clunk. I have never had the 60 mph problem like the tires need to be balanced. I do hear/feel a slight grinding noise which I feel is the torque converter but it is hard to tell because of all of the highway noise. The service manages says they have had very little problems with the 60 mph vibration. They think it is because the sales managers only orders 2 different types of mag wheels. Keep me posted.
    Marc

I ended up dumping my 1999 Sierra because I was sick of the little and somewhat bigger things that were going wrong and could never be repaired properly. The last straw was when I took it to the dealer to have the front/rear axle gear lubes changed and they didn't put the required synthetic lube in the rear axle. It was frustrating that I knew more about the truck than the dealer that was servicing it! If you want more details of all the stuff I'll be happy to pass it along. But since I'm no longer a GMC truck owner I'm not sure if you want my input or not. Let me know!
    Bob Ross - a Former 1999 GMC Sierra 4X4 extended cab owner.

I purchased a new 1999 C1500 Silverado about a year ago. It developed numerous problems including a vibration that could not be fixed. Gm decided a buyback was there ultimate fix! Of course I agreed. Three weeks ago I purchased a 2000 Silverado. So far, with 200 miles on it, they have replaced the differential carrier, all bearings, some gears & one rear brake rotor. After the fix I ran it up to 70 mph, for the first time, to check for vibration and found tires out of balance. Also, the weather strip at the upper rear of the right rear door does not contact the door, the gap is approx. .015- .020". Doors can not be adjusted! Another discovery, With engine at idle (500rpm) and the air-condition compressor running, the oil dipstick is in resonance, vibrating with an amplitude of approx. .400". At this rate it won't be long before metal fatigue sets in and it snaps off. I'm wondering what's to come? Sorry I bought it. The ride is not as good as it was with the 99. There are numerous transient vibrations.
    Milt

Just thought you like to know about the problems I'm having with my 2000 Silverado ext. cab 2wd with 6500 miles. First of all I have vibration or what I would call dithering at all speeds on any surface that is not perfectly smooth. It is more noticeable a 35 - 45 mph range, but is noticeable at all speeds. All four tires were out of tolerance, dealer ordered tires twice before getting tires in tolerance, still no change. The dealer then load balanced all four tires, still no change. Next they shaved all four tires, rides a little better an smooth surfaces but still no change on rough pavement. The other problems I'm having are rattles in the dash, premature engagement of the ABS (especially on rough surface stops), rough idle, whining in the steering when turning left, drivers seat fabric is loose. I have had my truck in for service 5 times now for this and still no change. Going back in on Thursday for the same problems with probably the same answer, tires out of balance and normal conditions, not acceptable for a new $27,000 truck. I also had a bad vibration at 30 mph, the fix was a new drive shaft original one was out of round. 30 mph vibration fixed at 3000 miles after which I started having all these other problems. GM better get on the ball and admit these tucks have problems. Reported my problems with the BBB last week. Please feel free to email me with any new info you might come across, for know I'll keep trying my dealer. Wish I had my 91 sport back. Unhappy Silverado owner.
    Scott Simpson
    Them folks was workin them Chevys now. Heard tells on that fifth wheel and such. Them ones with them tundras aint got the knowin of them fifth wheels cuz they aint workin em any. Them that work em may break em, but they be getin em fixed up, and then workin em some more. This be the way with any tool that gets the workin it was designed for now. Not expectin ya to be gettin this one, as ya choice for trucks was based on that reachin for that fad, instead of the need of a tool for workin. On the farm we work em hard all day long, they break, we fix em up, then work em some more. Trouble with them forien ones is they cant be fixed after bustin em up. They call that one the throw away now. For them who be chasin that fad, this dont be matterin none, but them that works em has the need for a strong one. Get ya a big3 if ya workin em, that tundra if just chasin that fad. Facts is facts, just use them eyes for this one. Good luck on this one now!
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    It's actually nice to see you back!
    Wrong! Check her profile - her name is Libby. She actually made a better choice than the Shakerado owners - a '52 Chevy. Much cheaper, better quality and more reliable than a Shakerado.
  • toytunonetoytunone Member Posts: 56
    Problems pestering new cars
    By James R. Healey and Earle Eldridge, USA TODAY

High-profile first-year vehicles are arriving to showrooms with disturbing quality problems, according to a private report to automakers by J.D. Power and Associates, the industry's best-known marketing and consulting firm.

Despite the industry's computer-design technology, getting the first ones right "continues to be a challenge," the annual report says. The results were compiled from questionnaires mailed to tens of thousands of buyers who were asked to document quality problems, from minor squeaks to engine failures, during the first 90 days of ownership.

Mechanical problems reported in the survey would have been fixed under warranty; some problems, though, were design complaints that would not have been fixed.

These redesigned '99s slipped furthest in quality when compared with the models they replaced: Honda Odyssey minivan, Porsche 911 sports car, Jeep Grand Cherokee sport-utility, Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra pickups.

The report is in an executive summary of the 1999 Initial Quality Study sent only to automakers and obtained by USA TODAY.

According to Power, Odyssey had 64% more problems than the van it replaced. The 911 had 41% more problems than its predecessor; Grand Cherokee, 29%; Sierra, 23%; and Silverado, 22%.
    You just don't learn, do ya!http://agmlemon.freeservers.com/

ROTFLMFAO!!!!!!!
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    >>>
    "I have joined the ranks of the vibrating Tundra
    owners. At 13,000 miles I rotated the tires (back
    tires are now on the front). I got a slight shimmy
    @58-63mph. Took it to the dealer and had the front
    tires balanced. There is still a slight shimmy at
    the above speeds. My tires are 32 psi all the way
    around. I do not have any braking vibes or other
    problems. I'm going to jack up the front and check
    for tire runout and bulges. Incidently, when
    looking at the balance weights on the front tires,
    I cannot tell if anything was changed. Normally,
    you can see an outline of the dirt where a weight
    was removed."Robbie, you are no longer trying to convince me. Look in the mirror bubba.
    a truck that sags with 1080 Lbs!

Now there is a truck man!

- Tim
  • smith53smith53 Member Posts: 72
    at least its not permanent like my silverado
    1080 lbs? damn ive seen S-10s carry more than that including mine a few times

Ryan
    I could hear Bama squeeling - scrambling to do some damage control. Problem is - only the Tundra pack is naive enough to believe his posts like #450

Phelps - "Your mission - should you decide to
    accept it is to act like a total fool."

Bama, Rwell, Toyunone - "Mission accomplished!"

It wasn't too much of a stretch for him - he
    doesn't even know how to do anything besides cut and paste. Maybe he isn't acting.

ROTFLMFAO!!!
    bco
    i told ya'll this topic was getting boring. now see, all i had to do was poke the roadkill a little and all the maggots came crawling right out! LOL.

say, who was it that said he liked the tundra bed shallow so it was easier to reach his fishing pole and stuff? it was that salesman guy...what was his name? anyways, it all makes sense now, cuz the thing obviously can't haul 1000 pounds!!!

LOLOLOLOL!!!
    It be very rare that them tundra ones be saggin with 1080 lbs now. Why is that? Cuz it be very rare that folks even try workin them ones, thats why. This is the fact that slaps them folks who got them little ones now. Ya just cant be workin em, lessin ya be wantin to bust em quick. Them tundra folk be pointin to this survey or that, which be claimin this or that bout the quality of them big3 ones, but they never give them tells on how folks be workin them big3 ones and hard. Facts is facts, them big3 ones last and last, but them toys be gettin all used up, and quick. Look about, use your eyes on this one. Dont be needin no doodad survey for this truth. Good luck on this one now!
This discussion has been closed.