Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus ES 350

Comments

• klee3klee3 Member Posts: 57
    Are the rattles that loud? You've mentioned quite a few issues with 2007 ES 350. Would you recommend this vehicle, 2007 model? Do you think Lexus will have the issues resolved for 2008 model?
  • prazpraz Member Posts: 163
    No, the rattles are not loud but you can hear them and sometimes it might be irritating. I don't think they will resolve the bumper and trim issue because that is how it is designed (as per a customer supervisor of Lexus) but I might be wrong. You can wait till the new model comes out and than decide which one to go for. I'm sure you'll get a good deal on 2007 model when they have 2008 models on floor.
  • larrymitlarrymit Member Posts: 80
    My 350 is rattle free and I don't have any bumper and trim issues, so I don't think you can generalize about the car.

As for rear reading lights, they are already in the 2007 model. It took me 10 months to find them, but the tiny LED lamps above the front console (the ones with a "doors" button on one side and an "on" button on the other) are aimed at the rear passengers and make it quite bright back there. The only disadvantage is that the rear passengers have to ask the front passengers to turn them off and on.
    The car is excellent and I personally like the car. I have spent lot of time at couple of dealers in Phoenix and all new cars (especially darker ones) have the bumper issue. To be more precise, please look at the area where the rear bumper meets the rear fender. Since the rear bumper is made of some kind of plastic or fiber it swells in heat and expands which will make it misaligned with the rear fender. If parked in shade, there is no misalignment. They changed the bumper once at no-cost but the issue came back again as mentioned by the service manager.
    Also, the rear door metal trim piece had same issues on new cars(all colors). The trim on the bottom side of the window does not align with the trim piece of the front door as the clip to hold the trim piece is placed at 5" from the end which will make the trim piece to pop 1/4"(max). Had them re-placed twice and also Lexus tech looked at it and gave the same report as mentioned above.
    As far as rattle is concerned, I have driven 4 news cars with service consultants at two dealers and all had some kind of rattle either in front or back, with AC and sound system turned off. The rattle and engine noise when starting in winter is not new for this forum. You can check for both these issues yourself if you don't find one than I'm unlucky to have these issues.
  • crazymacrazyma Member Posts: 20
    I just saw this today and thought you might be interested. Has anyone had any problems with this previously?

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/08/02/lexus-facing-lawsuit-over-es350-airbags/
  • jj_lujj_lu Member Posts: 1
    I bought my ES 350 on a week ago. I have about 120 miles on the car. I noticed the same problem -- when slowing down by lightly pressing on the brake pedal, the car speeds up (lurches forward) when it changes gears (down shifts) in automatic mode. The tack flashes up by 200-400 rpm. It occurs at around 20 mph (between 1st and 2nd gear) and 40 mph (between 3rd and 4th). Called my dealer, and they say they heard of that complaint before and ask me to bring in my car tomorrow for check up. Joede, let us know how you resolve your case, and I will do the same.
  • kewl1kewl1 Member Posts: 11
    If you watch closely I think you will find that the car isn't speeding up. At about 32mph, if you are coasting, the car downshifts (engine brakes) and then upshifts again at around 22mph and the sudden lack of engine braking just feels like the car is speeding up. Watch the speedometer, not the tach and I think you will see what I mean
  • jerrys2jerrys2 Member Posts: 189
    Lots of info. regarding transmission problems in the Forums section on the Lexus web cite. (Google Lexus, go to Community/Forums,

Good luck...
  • ronwynronwyn Member Posts: 16
    I had an ES350 with a May 06 build date. Had a lot of problems with the whole car. Trans was rebuilt, replaced and they wanted to replace it again. I told them I didn't want the car anymore. In July 07 they replaced it (11 months and 12,000 miles) with a new car that had a May 07 build date. It has the Premium Plus pkg with Nav, I paid for half the Nav and Lexus the rest. In four weeks I have put over 2500 miles on it (NJ,FL,SC,NJ) and so far have had no issues with the trans. I hope the trans problem has been resolved once and for all. The engine noise on startup has been resolved.
  • tdohtdoh Member Posts: 298
    You have to insert the DVD movie disc into the 6-disc changer, not the slot that holds the nav DVD.
    New sleek side rear view mirrow and rear reading lights beside the handle on the roof and no UL package. Check this out...
    http://www.lexus.com/models/ES/
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    A reporter would like to talk to owners who uses parking sensors in their vehicles to assist them in parking. Please respond to [email protected] no later than August 29, 2007 with your daytime contact information

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• melody1002melody1002 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2007 ES350 4/19/07, it only has 2400 miles on it, a couple of weeks ago, the transmission started surging up the rpms up on acceleration. I took it to the dealer who upgraded the computer and added a "chip". The following week the car would not shift into a higher gear and would surge up to 4-6 rpms. The dealer put a whole new transmission in last week, the day I picked up the car when I merged onto I-75 via a left ramp into the fast lane, the car would not shift into gear and I could not go over 50 miles a hour, it just kept floating up to 6000 rpms, I almost got killed trying to get over 6 lanes in rush hour in Atlanta. The car is at the dealer and it has been 5 days
    of trying to get Lexus or the dealer to buy back the car, they want to put a 3rd transmission in the car! I filed a claim with Lexus and am trying to get my money back. :sick:
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    I'd dump this clunker at any cost.
  • ctlctl Member Posts: 129
    That's a better description for junks like impala :)

I'd dump this clunker at any cost.
  • meadoelmeadoel Member Posts: 18
    I would work with an attorney to get Lexus to address this issue. Lexus will be far more responsive if you have an attorney, and they will work on a contingency basis.
  • kicktheboxkickthebox Member Posts: 2
    I bought my ES 350 in June and have developed a love/hate relationship with it since. I wanted to ask others on this board if they have noticed the inferior level of material quality. It is not something you notice when you are buying it. It begins after you own it. The metal is amazingly thin and the interior materials are really thin and cheap. My seats already have two tears, one from regualr blue jeans a passenger was wearing, so now I sit on a towel, and the other from a paper grocery sack that had a case of soft drinks in it. The corner tore the leather when I set it in the seat. I have not had this happen in a car before. The most important thing I want to ask about though is the paint finish. Is the paint or clear coat exceptionally thin on this vehicle? It seems I can't leave the house without some paint coming off somewhere. The lightest touches just take the paint down to the metal. I have a neighbor who bought one as well and she is having paint issues as well. Lastly, has anyone else experienced that theirs is a rattle trap? I hate that I am so disappointed in this beautiful car.
    I agree with the paint and rattle. Also, has issues with rear bumper, door metal trim and poor sound system.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    has been a hallmark of Lexus for years now - don't know why, but they do chip easy.
  • crazymacrazyma Member Posts: 20
    Almost ready for my 5k mile service. I am already a pro at the touch-up application. No wonder they push those clear bras so hard at purchase. ;)
    Yes, but those bras age too. In a few years of sun, they become cloudy and brittle, and removing them is a real pain. Not sure those are the answer if you're going to keep the car over 4 years either. As much as I love my Lexus, I think the paint on my Explorer and my Escalade is tougher.
  • richard43richard43 Member Posts: 23
    anyone know of any available
    blind spot detection systems
    for the es350?
  • atomicdog1atomicdog1 Member Posts: 4
    My dealer wants $1,895 for me to upgrade. Just wondering how you upgraded to 10-spoke Lexus chrome wheels for only $1,000?

Atomic Dog
  • bobbo55bobbo55 Member Posts: 25
    I just noticed that Lexus is giving $1000 cash back on the 2007 Es 350. I wonder how long this ha been going on for.This is very rare for Lexus to do.
    I had the lexus tech look at the car and the rattle seems to have gone away, not a single rattle for the past week.
    I got my recall notice yesterday. It said they will be replacing the driver's mat sometime in November, with a notice to bring the car in at some future date.
  • ronwynronwyn Member Posts: 16
    When I told them I did not want the 3rd transmission installed, the dealer notified corporate of my decision and the claim was filed. I did not have to get an attorney. Lexus corporate in California handled everything. It is a time consuming affair with communication between myself and corporate. I was allowed to use the old car until the new one arrived at the dealer. I now have over 6,000 miles on it and do not have the transmission problems that affected my previous vehicle.
  • jaspalbjaspalb Member Posts: 84
    For 10,000 mile oil change (and some minor service) Lexus charges $239.88. Should it really be worth that much? Next one at 15,000, they say costs over $450 !!! What do they do for that much?
  • zhiminwenzhiminwen Member Posts: 17
    My last 10k service was $132. I went there because of a minor warranty issue. Otherwise I would have gone to a Toyota dealer for an Express Lube oil change and tire rotation. Lexus dealers charge these high fees based on the highly inflated hourly rate (> $100/hour) of their technicians and the time it takes the technician to do all the so-called checks. Per ES350 maintenance schedule, for 5k and 10k, the only required service are oil change and tire rotation. Only for driving in dusty condition, some checks (brake pads, CV boots, steering, suspention, ...) are required. Even for 15k, the real service (requires change /replace) are still just oil change and tire rotation.

For my last 10k service, the invoice says they did all those checks, but for $132, they didn't top off windshield fluid, didn't adjust tire pressure to specs, and didn't install engine cover bolts back properly. Obviously I don't plan to use this dealer again. For cross- reference, my Acura dealer charges $32 for an oil change on my MDX, that also includes a car wash, top-off all fluids, inflate tire pressure and check CV boots and battery. Lexus dealers are quite bit more expensive than Acura's.

This is just my humble opinion. If your car drives normally, there is need for these checks every 5k/6m. So I would just do oil change and tire rotation at Toyota dealer. Or you could go to Lexus dealer but request only this simple service. 15k is a close call. Go to a Lexus dealer if it makes you feel better that the technician performs these checks (assume he actually does do them). I would go to a Lexus dealer for 30k service (if not for anything else, to maintain a relationship with a dealer).

BTW, Toyota dealers can also do 15l/30k services. The only things they can not do are warranty work.
    I drive on major highways only, and very rarely take my car out even when it is raining. Among several so called services, one of them was "battery service", but I found they did not even clean the battry top. When asked, they told they just check the terminals. I don't know what they did for $239. Oil was spilled all over the engine cover. Don't know if they adjusted tire pressures, etc. Next time I am not going to them either.
    My Lexus dealer throws in a car wash and a loaner car while the service is being performed. Even so, with synthetic blend oil, they still only charge about $140.00 for oil change, lube, and tire rotation. I go to my local mechanic, who uses the same oil and charges about $100.00. Still high, but 6.5 quarts of that synthetic blend oil is pretty pricy.
    I don't know what oil they use, but I had a car wash too (which I didn't like). I was asked for a loner, which I didn't need (I waited instead). I don't know what is $239 for? Anyway, next time I am going to check before I leave my car with the dealer.
  • rh350rh350 Member Posts: 1
    Just curious as to whether anyone has experienced an intermittent creaking around the gear shift area.
  • jano2jano2 Member Posts: 141
    I have only had my car for about 2 months and have not had any problems with the paint yet. I do have what seems to be a permanent crease in the passenger seat leather. I do not normally have a passenger unless it is me in the passenger seat (I weigh around 120)and my husband is driving. Recently I had to take my Dad (who weighs around 190) back and forth to doctor. Trips were only a couple of blocks, but the crease appeared after these trips. Also the back seat has something weird happening with it after my Dad's wife sat back there. I only have around 2,000 miles on this car. Is this normal wear????????
    Also I do not have a Lexus dealership in my town. Can I get my 5k, 10k check ups at the local Toyota dealership?
    One last thing - sometimes when I shift into reverse it seems very hard (can't think of a better word) and it is loud - like a clunk. I thought it may be the doors locking that made it seem loud. Anyone else have this problem? Does it sound like the transmission?

Thanks!
    I also noticed some crease in the seat leather joint areas, but that seems to be normal. For the hard shift, do you park on a slope? Do you use parking brake? If you don't use parking brake, and there is slight incline, there may be hard click when you shift from Park.
  • jano2jano2 Member Posts: 141
    No I don't park on a slope. I don't know what it could be and I am hoping it is nothing.
    Don't worry about the clunk. If it's a problem with the transmission, have them check it the first time the car is serviced. You're covered, so even if the transmission falls out, it isn't going to cost you. Relax, and drive :blush: You're in great hands.....or wheels. :P
  • strapperstrapper Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2000 Es 300 which I have had from newwith no problems at all and hoped to buy a ES 350 but am very concerned with the transmission problems.Strangely Consumers Reports refers to the problems but still has the car as Recommended but does not recommend the V6 Camry which I assume has the same powertrain.Can anyone comment on this.What if anything is Lexus doing to fix this problem on effected cars and are more recent cars still effected? :)
  • justbassjustbass Member Posts: 11
    I would consider hanging on to the ES300 for one more year if it is causing you no troubles, and monitor how the ES350 evolves through some of it's problems.
    I always wonder what the transmission issues are with ES350. It is my second car and first luxury car that I have ever purchased. I had rattle issue which is fixed now. But, can anyone please enlighten me on the issues regarding transmission and what I should look for to check if my car has issues? Thanks in advance.
  • strapperstrapper Member Posts: 7
    Thank you for replying to my message and like you suggest I will hold of till we see some resolution to the problem.I am going to speak to the service managers at the local Toyota And Lexus dealerships and seewhat I can find out --Strapper :)
  • justbassjustbass Member Posts: 11
    Also try clublexus.com in the ES section for members' transmission problems, as well as other items of concern are noted.

Disspite the problems, with fingers crossed, my wife and I will still consider this model and hope that all concerns have been worked out in the spring of next year.
  • ahrjrahrjr Member Posts: 2
    I have a 07 ES350 and, being an old retired dude, enjoy doing oil changes and tire rotations myself. However, I noticed in the manual they only show two jacking points and both raise the front or rear tires entirely off the ground. Also, I don't have any room for my jack stands. Does anyone know of any alternate jacking points or do I need to buy myself some ramps?

Thanks
  • scottinmemscottinmem Member Posts: 9
    Jack,

Check out this link for good information on changing oil on an ES350. I have done one oil change on my 350 without problems and without raising the front end. It would be easier to raise the front, but it is not necessary. This link also shows a homemade ramp, that I will probably make before my next oil change. BTW, I did have a little problem sticking the plastic hose adapter into the filter - you've got to push hard and that is difficult with the hose attached.

http://members.cox.net/n0v8or/avalon_oil_change.pdf
  • ahrjrahrjr Member Posts: 2
    Jack,

Thanks for the info and the link.

Art
    When we were in the market to buy car last year, we were looking to buy either ES350 or RX350. I was leaning towards RX but my wife wanted to go for ES. Since, it was for her, we bought ES. I would like to know if there are guys out there who are in the same situation as I was and what did they buy and for what reasons. My wife did not like the looks of the RX inside as well as outside. She thought it looked small from the outside and design outdated. She said that the ES looks more luxirours than the RX inside and outside. She liked the dash layout, ignition, more leg room in rear, steering wheel, etc of ES while the RX had cheap plastic for buttons. I thought both were equally good but went with ES hoping to buy redesigned RX in 2008 but I have to wait for one more year as the new RX will be available as 2010 model.
  • laeggolaeggo Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone experienced or heard of 2007 model ES350 having brake failure? My in-laws where on the interstate where they experienced brake failure. Luckily they were able to shift into neutral and coast to a stop on the shoulder of the freeway. Pretty scary and luckily no one got hurt.
This discussion has been closed.