Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus ES 350

Comments

• mac1lsr1mac1lsr1 Member Posts: 20
    I know it's been a month and a half since you posted this question, and you probably have your answer by now, but I did my 1st oil change on my ES 350 this past weekend. All went well by lifting the front of the car using a floor jack and placing jackstands under the front frame rails. I placed the jack under the single lifting point on the front crossmember, as shown in the owners manual. Since the oil drain bolt is on the back end of the oil pan, lifting the car this way helps get a little more old oil to drain out. The frame rails are wider than my jackstand saddles, so I can't get nice even contact between the car and stands; however, the car didn't budge when I grabbed one of the front wheels in the air and tried to shake the car sideways. I always do that after I place a car on jackstands to make sure it is secure. What did you mean when you said you didn't have enough room for your jackstands? Not enough clearance, or you didn't see where to place them under the car? Anyway, I'm glad I bought the 65 mm oil filter cap wrench at NAPA before I started the job. None of my existing cap wrenches fit.
  • nedb52nedb52 Member Posts: 10
    What does/would "key not detected" indicate if one does indeed have their key in possession while driving? Is that the indication of a low/dead battery?

Thanks.
  • ontheroad10ontheroad10 Member Posts: 2
    Its a serious problem to pay this much for an auto and have the front paint look like its 4 years old before the 5000 mile service. Lexus dealer states it is not a problem and no one has this problem. Normal driving chips are a fact of life , but a peppered front before 4 k miles is a paint problem , Buyer beware.
  • brucepbrucep Member Posts: 3
    Hello,
    I have a 20 month old daughter who uses the car seat in the rear, I'm a little concerned about the side airbags which the dealer said could not be turned off. What happens if the airbags deploy and the child seat (forward facing full car seat) is in a side seat rather than the center? What are others with child seats doing, putting them in the center? If I do that, due to the narrowness of the car no adult can sit in the back which is pretty useless, but of course worth it if the side seats are not safe.

Thanks!
  • kicktheboxkickthebox Member Posts: 2
    You are exactly correct in your observations about this paint problem. I just sold mine because the paint was chipping, scaring, and falling off. The seating surfaces are also cheap too, but that is another post. Anyway, look at others in parking lots, they are scraped up too. Maybe the owners just aren't noticing. My dealer admitted paint is an issue with Lexus. I hated that beautiful car!
  • ontheroad10ontheroad10 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for the reply. The paint is a problem and they need to fix it and admit its a problem instead of acting like the buyer (owner) is the problem. They were singing a different tune when they were taking payment.
  • techman41973techman41973 Member Posts: 83
    Did any of you decide to install a K&N oiled-cotton gause air filter on your ES 350?
    On my Accord it seemed to improve acceleration a bit.
    Thanks
  • mcmahon1mcmahon1 Member Posts: 1
    Where can I purchase or exchange stock cast wheels for OEM chrome wheels ?
    I live in eastren PA.

Dave
  • acat1234acat1234 Member Posts: 5
    I agree with your assessment of cheap interior material. I have a dark grey 350 with light grey interior. The plastic trim between the seats and door jambs is really black plastic painted grey!! The paint just rubs off with the slightest abrasion, exposing an ugly patch of black. The material around the door arm rests is a thin, cheap pvc that tears with the slightest pressure.

I agree that the paint is the worst I have seen on any modern car. It scratches and scars at the lightest pressure. It is more fragile than the finnish on my black Corvette (now that is a real car)!

This car has been a major disappointment in most areas. The highly acclaimed Japanese Engineering is pure bunk!! The stereo system is inferior to any other car in this price range, the interior temperature control system is worse than the old American cars with the slide temperature control, the rain-sensing wipers are useless - they keep going even after the water has been removed, smearing the windshield (yes - I have had it to the dealer several times and they cannot do anymore. I just turn the Rain Sensing function off), the car sounds like a diesel engine for the first two minutes after starting. I could go on but I think you have the idea.

My next car will not be a Lexus!!
  • prazpraz Member Posts: 163
    Today, I noticed that when the engine is running and the vehicle parked, if you turn the steering wheel, RPM will flare atleast 200 (mine did from 800 to 1000). Is this normal?
  • amf1932amf1932 Member Posts: 79
    Very normal. When you turn your wheel, an extra load is put onto the power steering pump, and the engine computer senses this and raises your engine RPM slightly.
  • bash4bash4 Member Posts: 13
    Hello,
    You seem to know a lot about the tire system. My tire pressure light has been on all winter. Do you know how to reset it? I followed the directions on page 299 of the manual but it still is on. Any help would be appreciated.
    Bruce
  • rou1rou1 Member Posts: 7
    Did you check your spare? That may be flat. The tire sensor system also has a sensor on the spare tire. My service guy says it's actually inside the tire. I found this out the hard way.
  • jaspalbjaspalb Member Posts: 84
    I had the same problem - tire light coming on in winter. After noting that pressure seemed good, I reset it using instructions in the manual. I don't recall what they were, but you have to follow them precisely. I had to make a couple of tries.
  • seaweedseaweed Member Posts: 5
    I have one of the first ES350's bought in May of 2006. It is a top of the line UL and has been in the shop more than any other car I have owned.

I just got back from a trip from Florida to Charleston and had my PCS fail for the third time. In case you don't know, the PCS is the pre-collision radar system. When it fails you lose the cruise control. I had to drive I95 for almost 1000 miles without cruise control.

I have had it in the shop for wind noise, navigation failure and transmission firmware. Most of these required multiple visits to find a fix.

It is back to the shop tomorrow and I have told them to keep the car until they figure out how to make a permanent repair.

Beware the desire for new gadgets. Those with the stock ES350 only contend with transmission and wind noise problems. :cry:
  • soitgossoitgos Member Posts: 1
    Can someone tell me if there is a way to defeat the TPMS on the ES350.
    Thanks
    Thanks.
    Can someone please let me know if this makes sense. I had my car in for 10,000 mile service and after I picked up the car found that the tires were not rotated. The dealer said that they might not have rotated them because the tires in the front need to have more thread than the rear as it is a FWD. I always thought they do clockwise tire rotation. Thanks in advance.
    Please provide info regarding tire rotation. Thanks in advance.
  • jano2jano2 Member Posts: 141
    Unfortunately on the way to W. TX we hit a deer and now I want to know if anyone knows of a good body shop to work on my car In College Station or Houston, TX. I really will need a car so has anyone dealt with a body shop that has loaners while they do repair work? I know one of the Lexus dealer in Houston has a body shop (it may be independently owned and the dealership does referrals to them), but I do not know how good their work is.

My car only has about 12,000 miles on it and this just makes me sick! Any info that anyone has would be appreciated....

Thanks
    I have some concerns so please let me know if anyone is noticing the same issues as I do so that I can address these issues with Lexus. What I noticed with my car (Ruby Red 2007 ES 350) but did not on the loaner (Moon Shell Mica 2008 ES 350) is:

Cosmetic: Rear door metal trim is pulling away (upwards) where it meets the front door trim.
    Rear bumper is pulling away (near tail light where it also meets the fender).
    The front dash is pulling away on bottom left side where it meets the center stack

Engine: Little rough noise while idle and in motion, the loaner was very smooth.

Transmission: Flares to 1800RPM when started in the morning but the loaner flared to 1200RPM only.

Thanks
  • is0is0 Member Posts: 4
    I just had to replace a rim on my ES 350. A dealer charged me $599 just for the part. After that my insurance said that they overcharged me and that according to them a list price is $495. I tried to get price for a brand new rim from two other dealerships in the area and one of them quoted price $517.90 and the other $432.50. So now I know that the dealer just ripped me off. Can anybody give me advice on what can I do?
  • sirrafsirraf Member Posts: 55
    What was the name of the dealer that ripped you off? We would all like to avoid them.

Let the dealership know what prices you have gotten from the other dealerships and they should give you credit.
    Call Lexus Corporation @ 800-255-3987 and register your complaint.
  • dunde71dunde71 Member Posts: 33
    I thought I would share the ES350 maintenance cost. The ES350 scheduled servicing cost is higher compared to other vehicles. You have to get it serviced every 5000 miles unlike Acura where its once in 7500 miles. Even a 5000 mile service is $140. Cost of ownership is pretty high. Here is the chart :

Cost ..... Mileage

$140 .... 5000 / 25,000 / 35,000 / 50,000 / 65,000 / 85,000 / 95,000
    $260 .. 10,000 / 20,000 / 40,000 / 55,000 / 70,000 / 80,000 / 100,000
    $350 .. 15,000 / 45,000 / 75,000 / 105,000
    $580 .. 30,000 / 60,000 / 90,000 / 120,000

Plus,
    every 60,000 miles add $350.
    every 90,000 miles add $730
    every 100,000 miles add $130
    every 120,000 miles add $290

So for 15,000 miles / year, here is the break down for maintenance cost / year
    1st year - $750 ... 15,000 miles
    2nd year - $980 ... 30,000 miles
    3rd year - $750 ... 45,000 miles
    4th year - $1330 ... 60,000 miles
    5th year - $750 ... 75,000 miles
    ----------------------
    5 yr Total $4560 + Tax + Inflation
    ---------------------
  • lexusguy3lexusguy3 Member Posts: 12
    My vehicle is an early model and had the transmission replaced to take care of the flare from 3rd to 4th gear. It only happened once a day when the car was cold even following the replacement. I recently had Lexus look again and they brought n a Lexus engineer and he loaded new control software for the transmission. The car now works fine. I understand the new software will be available soon in a Bulletin. Perseverance works and keeping a friendly relationship with the Dealer!!
  • johngreisjohngreis Member Posts: 70
    I'd be interested to know where you got these figures. As far as I know, the 5,000 and 10,000 procedures consist of oil change and tire rotation. $140 to do that is extreme. Is your dealer adding things to the factory recommended procedures to fatten up your bill???
  • johnymackjohnymack Member Posts: 18
    I bought my ES 350 a year ago (Sewell Dallas) and currently have 13,000 miles. The first 5,000 mile service was free. When I hit 10,000 miles Lexus gave me a choice of paying $138 for service or I could just pay $55 for an oil change. I chose the oil change, they came to my house dropped off a rental and brought my car back to my house the next day. So I had a rental for two days and paid NO GAS in the rental, plus they washed my car. Where the heck else can you get a deal like that???? All said and done I pretty much got the oil change for nothing because I used at least half a tank of gas in the rental.

I just called Sewell and asked them what they charge for a 15,000 service, they told me $258 or I can just do an oil change for $55.

Not sure where you live but you are getting screwed, you must be an unhappy customer because I have seen you post this several times.

You should not have to do any service until you hit 70,000, other than usual air filter, tires, brake pads and oil changes.

I absolutely love my ES 350 and have not had anything wrong with it. I have not been back to the dealer for anything other than an oil change.

My last car was a Mercedes E320 – this car was a complete junk! $14,000 in warranty repairs for the duration of 95,000 miles
    If you get oil and filter change every 5,000 than do have your tires rotated and balanced as well at local shop. As per my tech, the extra +/- $100 is for tire rotation and balancing which is quite high where as the local shop might charge you as low as $20.
  • johnymackjohnymack Member Posts: 18
    If you buy your tires at “Discount Tires” they will balance and rotate for free. I have been going there for years, so when I brought my new ES in they still did it for nothing. I would defiantly not pay $100 to the dealer for a rotation.

I also would not buy rims from the dealer, Sewell wanted $1,700 for OEM Chrome wheels; I got the same OEM wheels for $750 shipped to my door from L.A. Wheel and Tire.
  • enigma2enigma2 Member Posts: 3
    If you have complaints about this dealership, don't hesitate to file a complaint with the Montgomery County Office of Consumer Protection. It's a county government office. Others have already filed complaints with this agency against Lexus of Rockville. Some of the investigators are better than others, but I've heard that getting a bad record with this agency is effective.

Lexus of Rockville is the worst car dealership I've ever encountered.
  • glevitanglevitan Member Posts: 8
    I am looking to lease a new Lexus ES350 with Nav and the Stock lexus 8 speaker system. My question is how good is the stock system? I would love the ML but its too expensive in my opinion. I am not quite an audiophile but I do appreciate a nice crisp and loud system.
    2009 ES and IS was posted on www.lexus.com on 09/05 but not the pricing. The price increase on ES is $200 and on IS is $300 MSRP.
    I may be wrong but this is what I found on www.lexus.com.....
    2009 ES 350 w/premium plus package(no nav) is cheaper by approximately $800. They have increased the base MSRP by $200 but reduced the premium plus package by $1,000. Premium package is no longer available.
  • mdamesmdames Member Posts: 79
    I have the stock system in my ES350. Like you, I'm no audiphile. But I think the system is fine. It clearly is no Mark Levinson. My wife has the ML system in her SC430. It is a wonderful system. But listening to CD's and the radio in my car is actually good. Not as good as the ML, but it works for me. Unless you really must have a top notch sound system, the standard system should be fine.
  • toddantoddan Member Posts: 5
    Is it true that any Lexus owner can go to any Lexus Dealer and get a free car wash?
    No, it's not true! But if you have your car serviced there than, yes.
    Lexus dealers on not in the business of washing cars. ;)
  • emedwayemedway Member Posts: 17
    The ES comes standard with an IPOD port, but an interface allowing for easier viewing/use is optional. However, the dealer tells me no ES's come from the factory with the IPOD interface, at least in New England where I live. Instead it is a dealer installed accessory. Unfortunately, this both increases the price and requires the dealer to remove and replace the dash. My main concern is the potential for squeaks and rattles later on caused by this procedure. Thoughts?

thanks
  • djdjdjdj Member Posts: 111
    I test drove the 2009 ES Monday night (in the rain) and really liked it. Very quiet even with all the water on the road.

I want satellite radio in my next car. The A4 and TL have their modern antennas but the ES doesn't. According to the salesman, the demographics for the ES are for 'older drivers' who don't often purchase satellite radio so Lexus doesn't bother integrating the radio.

I was told that XM radio gets the black box (about 1 inch square on the trunk and that the Sirius radio gets an antenna inside the rear window.

I know you have to pay a lot extra but that is okay. I'd prefer XM but don't want the antenna on the trunk.

Does anyone here have Sat Radio? Which network do you have and where is the antenna?
  • noisylcarnoisylcar Member Posts: 7
    does this engine noise get worse....described as piston slap by regional tech after being diagnosed as fuel injector noise by lexus of tulsa.
  • alien2alien2 Member Posts: 33
    Hi. Since Sirius and XM are merging it probably doesn't make a difference. I have a 2007 350 and had the small black box placed inside the car on the back ledge behind the seats right next to the third brake light. No problems with receptions although at first the dealership said that it wouldn't work there I pressed the issue and found out that their GM had his put there too. Good luck.
    I ending up buying a 2008 ES350 with XM. My dealer said they only mount the antenna in the rear package shelf. Works fine once the single got activated. Quite a pain to get that done. The salesman said he has a lot of trouble with XM activations.

Unfortunately we've had a lot of snow in Cleveland and I won't drive the new car in that so its seen a lot of garage time. Maybe tomorrow I'll take it out.

Love it so far.
  • mackfammackfam Member Posts: 5
    Just a quick question. Does the rear seat fold down or is it just a pass thru like the TL? Thanks
    The rear seat in the ES350 just has a pass thru. All model ES's from the 1992 until the present did not have fold down rear seats.
    anyone with an ES having unusual engine noise?

kind of a loud "tick" for a while with a cold engine
  • gkoffgkoff Member Posts: 36
    Is there a button to disable the traction control system on the ES 350? Most cars have a button to turn it on/off. I literally can't get up my snowy driveway with TRAC on. Once the wheels slip the engine cuts back and I stop going forward.
    I know what you mean. I've had my ES about three weeks. I noticed it the other night. When cold, it had a rough sound, almost like an old diesel engine. My noise goes away very quickly once the engine gets a little warm. Does yours also get quiet pretty soon?
    we drive about 10 minutes to work each way and the noise goes away right when we get there...makes a good car seem "cheap"....what do you think?
  • qkslvrqkslvr Member Posts: 34
    We have a 2008 es350 with the Ultra pkg and ML audio. The dealer installed the Sirius. We are having reception problems that have gradually gotten worse. It now takes 5-10 minutes of drving before we can get satellite signal. Anyone else having this problem? We have the inside windshield antenna. I even had special window tint used that was non metallic to ensure no interference with satellite or GPS.
    I have XM radio with the inside rear window antenna; little black box by the high level brake light. For me it works fine. The rear window is so big maybe it gives better access to the signal. It even receives the signal before I back out of the garage in the morning.
    I find it disappointing considering how quiet a Lexus is supposed to be. I think mine warms up faster than 10 minutes. After about 2 minutes I either forget about it or it has gone away. Once that noise is gone, I think the car is really quiet. I do wish it had about one inch more headroom though.
This discussion has been closed.