Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Pacifica Real World MPG

13»

Comments

• nuruc7nuruc7 Member Posts: 98
    Sofar mpg seems a lot better, car seems to stay at 2k rpm on the highway even doing a pretty good clip. Now I am determined to see what upgrades I can install on the car. I want

ATC to replace the manual TC (might require some additional wiring and sensors?)
    Automatic Headlights (I think they work in conjunction with the auto dimming mirror)
    Autodimming rear view mirror ( dunno if this can be installed as I checked up in the overhead console and the additional wire like in my 05, did not appear - the liner has the hole for the wire but the wire I did not find?)
    DRLs (switch to Canada code)
  • waterdrwaterdr Member Posts: 307
    I just recently check my mpg against the cars computer. The weather has been cold and snowy and the car has been sitting a lot ideling and also a lot of short-trips around town.

My calculations were 18.3 mpg and the car showed 18.5 mpg.

I seem to be getting 22 - 24 mpg consistantly on the highway.
    Well, no luck on any of the upgrades except potentially foglight and even that might be a maybe! :cry: I like the performance of the car but I do miss the leather seat (can do), sunroof (can do), autodimming rear mirror (need to get harness), ATC ((need to replace entire AC system according to the dealer.), Mini-trip computer and compass (not installed according to my dealer.) I am gonna do some additional research but it may be tough even with the parts in some cases. :surprise: :confuse:
    Well, i looked over the service reocrd my dealeer gave me and it indicatted that on my EVIC the Tire Pressure Sensor system isnot installed. Well that is not true, as when I picked the car up, the EVIC was telling me that 3 tires were low. I showed the salesman as i was leaving with the vehicle and told him I would fill the tires. I did and initially 2 tires dropped off the alarm display, then I found the last tire and then the displatye cleared for that one. Howeve rit was clear from the behavior of my EVIC, it definitely monitors and reports any issues with Tire Pressure. Noww my Dealer's Service Team did not see that, and they told me that they could change the Country code, as it was not an available item. So I am left with thinking that maybe I need to get a cheap version of the CAN tool and see what is there or not.
  • miser1miser1 Member Posts: 6
    Hers the scoop new 2 board. I just purchased 2007 fwd touring Pac. Took a couple to the Metro airport in Detroit Mich. from Ontario Canada. approximately 1 hour 30 minute trip mostly all highway miles but had to stop for shopping (the wifes were in the car) using regular gas worked out to 24.8 mpg. If no stops made would have made 25mpg easily. Speed averaged 60-65 mph with a very smooth and comfortable ride. Read other posts regarding transmission problems but at highway speeds ran like a gem. When at low speeds sometimes you can feel tranny shifting maybe just me not used to the 6 speed transmission. Good luck on your purchase.
    Well, instead of trying to perform an upgrade to get ATC and the mini trip computer, I traded in my 2007 base model AWD for a 2007 Touring AWD, with a few more miles (` 10k), only owe 1k more than I previously owed and not i have a touring version and I am happy. :)
  • tumbleweed_biftumbleweed_bif Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone compiled a table of real world mileage at various speeds?
    I am quite interested in know the difference in mpg going 55mph, 60, 65, 70, and 75.

On a routine trip of 20 miles, the time to drive in those speed ranges spans just over 6 minutes difference, with 55mph taking 21.82 min and 75 mph taking 15.6 mins. But what is the cost difference in fuel efficiency? Does anyone know?
  • kf5kf5 Member Posts: 1
    Hey. I want to get a pacifica. But I can't decide with one. I am looking at an 06 and 07 AWD. Both are the signature series and equipped nice. I want to hear yours thoughts as I am having trouble deciding. MPG is important to me as well. The 07 cost more. The 06 has the dark interior I like. But, the 07 has the better engine and trans. Help. Kevin
  • faroutfarout Member Posts: 1,609
    kf5: I have a 07 PAC Touring AWD. WE really like it! The huge difference is the engine and transmission between the two. The 07 has a 4.L engine and a 6 spped Automatic. the )^ has either the 3.5 or 3.8 L engine mated to the 4 speed Auto trans. The gas mileage is really a big diference. The 06 will be lucky to get 16 to 18 mpg, and the 07 is pretty consistant 19 to 26 mpg is our exerience in 14,000 miles.
    There is a lifetime warranty powertrain for the 07 if it's new. There has been some 07 that have had a shuddering or lugging problem at very low RPM's in 6 gear. Chrysler has replaced the Tourque Conveters and had a reflash on the TCM. For us this is the very best vehicle we have ever owned! The PAC is the biggest vehicle inside and outside over the Chrysler 300 or the SRT. The power of this 4.L engine ia amazing and so is the fuel mileags, we have reached a high of 27.3 mpg on a trip. For us thats fantastic. Hope that helps you...my opinion buy the 07.

farout
  • ibthesndibthesnd Member Posts: 2
    I have an 07 FWD Touring, 4.0 6 speed, and the computer says I get between 22-25 mpg at 75 mph and 25-28 at 60. In town I pull between 12-19 depending on route and traffic.
    Are there any inexpensive upgrades to improve my mpg? I have found Hypertech ($379) and Jet Performance chips($320), a K&N filter, plus a bunch of items in Ebay that I am leary of. Has anyone tried these or anything else? Are there any cold air intake kits?
  • faroutfarout Member Posts: 1,609
    Better check out if you added any of these "upgrades" if that might voil your warranty. How much better do mpg you want? Gee at 75 to get 22 to 25 mpg pulling a load that is nearly 4,700 lbs that is real darn good! AS you say that 60mph is where you get super good mpg, so that's the "sweet spot" for you PAC and mine as well!.
    The only thing that could save you anything is the K&N filter, as the Chrysler one is about $20. and if you held onto the PAC eventually it would pay for it's self. I don't think these other so called gas savers will add engoug to pay for the cost in a million miles.

farout
  • waterdrwaterdr Member Posts: 307
    I just went on a 450 mile trip and got 24.4 mpg. The computer showed 25.3 mpg. I drove at about 72 mph and has tires inflated to 45 lbs. Pressure was up a bit due to warmer weather. I am going to pull about 5 lbs.

Chips? I have a lot of experience with chips and tuning as I drag race and have spent a lot of time around dynos.

Here are my thoughts:

1 - You could absolutely get better mpg with the correct tune. The fact that the computer reads high, means that the car is running richer then the manufactur intended. In my case, I could probably pick up 2 to 3 mpg on my PAC. It will vary from car to car.

2 - Buying a chip or hand-held tuner with a "mail-order" tune will be a shot in the dark. The ONLY way to get this right is to put the car on a dyno to get the perfect tune. With a mail order tune, you might pick-up 1 mpg, loose 2 mpg, or mess-up the tune all togther and create problems. Pacificas are not exactly a car that people dyno a lot, and thusly, the data base is poor.

3 - A proper chip or hand-held tuner with a custom dyno tune will cost about $600.

4 - ONLY buy a reputable device such as a Diablo or SCT. Hypertech is "ok". Don't waste your time with anything else. A good tune cost money....PERIOD. If you have a local reputable dyno tuner that uses another product, that is ok too.

5 - I have an SCT 4 position switch chip. It allows me to have 4 custom tunes....so you can have tunes for different octanes of fuel or types of driving. The added cost for each tune is minimal once you have the car on the dyno. I pick-up 30 hp on my tune by running 93 octane, or can run on 91 octane to save fuel $ when I don't care much about power. (BTW, this is on a 450 hp Mustang, not on the PAC. Hp increases will be less on the PAC).

6 - Now for the kicker.....if you care about your warranty, DON'T MOD THE CAR. Changing the tune will void the warranty if you get caught. If you install a chip, this is a blatant voiding of the warranty. If you use a hand-held "flash" style tuner, you might be able to get away with it by installing the stock tune before taking the car to the shop each time.

7 - Using a CAI (Cold Air Intake) can help with power and mpg especially with a custom tune. They can also pose warranty issues. One way around this is if Mopar sells one and you have the dealer install it. K&N filters are fine.....no warranty issues with this. I plan to purchase one for my PAC. I use them on all my cars.
  • smokedemt1smokedemt1 Member Posts: 4
    When I got my 04 Pacifica three months ago it read 21 MPG on the gauge. I reset the readout and since have been getting 18.5 18.6. Last weekend I towed my 2000# pop-up camper on about a 400 mile trip. 1/2 way through my mileage readout was 18.9!!! I checked it with the fill-up and sure enough was getting almost 20 MPG. It showed 18.9-19 on the way back. Anyone else seen simillar results. Or am I getting WAY too little mileage without the trailer. I am considering towing the trailer all the time to see how much I can gain...
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,930
    Could it be because you are driving much more cautiously with the trailer?
    Try driving without the trailer, but drive as if it were still there.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• smokedemt1smokedemt1 Member Posts: 4
    Always drive it like I stole it, 70+, I even spent some time in 3rd instead of OD on the hills and through towns. I figure at this rate if I continued to tow trailer I should be around 30 at the next fill-up.
  • bqdarlingbqdarling Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased an 07 Limited AWD with 12K miles. Over the past three weeks, I've been driving around town in northern Virginia. Standard suburban driving, no highway, no towing, regular stuff. I'm getting 11.1 mpg which I consider pretty pathetic. Anyone else experiencing this?
  • charger3charger3 Member Posts: 210
    I have an 04 and 05 all wheel drive In the winter about 16.8 city hwy about 21 in the summer with air off 21 city 26 hwy turn air on 19 city 23 hwy