Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Porsche Cayman S

Comments

• kmanskmans Member Posts: 20
    Have you looked in the Cayman gallery at:
    http://www.caymanclub.net/gallery/browseimages.php?c=2

Oh wait I see your question there as well,you might ask it in the forums instead to see if you get a response. Meteor is a new color for 07 so not as many pics yet.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    That is a great link...

Wow.. would it ever be hard to decide after checking all of those out... :surprise:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• amstuartamstuart Member Posts: 6
    Hi:

Just took my 2006 Cayman-S in for a 15K mile service. I forgot to mention to the service department that my car alarm, once activated, goes off intermitently, several times each day. Typically, I get to work in the morning, activate the car alarm after exiting the vehicle, and within the hour the car alarm goes off. I can see my car from my office window: nothing and no one has touched the car. Is this an easy troubleshoot, or are intermittent alarm issues hit and miss? I don't want to sit and wait for several hours at the Dealer if the prospect of finding the fault is slight.

Thanks.

Adam
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    How sensitive is your alarm?

I ask because, on days when I drive my BMW to work, there is a car in the parking garage that starts chirping like a canary every time I slowly pass by. The alarm doesn't actually go off, but it sure sounds like it's thinking about it! I suspect that the frequency of my Supersprint/Magnaflow exhaust reverberating off the cement walls, floor, and ceiling tickles that car's funnybone.
  • amstuartamstuart Member Posts: 6
    How can I tell "how sensitive"? I can kick a tire, for example, and not set the alarm off. I park on an isolated concrete pad in the morning, and the asphalt road that allows nearby traffic is several feet away. Can the alarm system be tweaked?
  • topspin628topspin628 Member Posts: 373
    So a couple of days ago I took a 30 minute test drive in the Cayman S. Wow. It's a great car. The handling and sound of the engine were fantastic. I love the looks. My quandary is this: is it a good daily driver for the congested and often cold Northeast? I would use it almost every day and at times I am in the car for upwards of 2-4 hours in a given day (round trip). Much in traffic, so don't scream at me, but I would go for the auto tranny.
    My other possibilities are (different animals but I don't always cross shop the same class)
    BMW 650, 5 series or 3 (twin turbo)
    MB E Class- very different but a great daily driver.
    The Cayman stirs my soul but does the fantastic sound of the engine turn into an annoyance when you are driving for a long stretch? Do you miss a great stereo, ipod attachment, bluetooth for phone etc.?

I would love any input. I think it's one of the top 10 "lookers" in the auto world.
    Thanks
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    I have two things in common with you: I too am in my car for at 2hrs. or so per day and I too lust for a Cayman.

My daily driver is a 3 series BMW and my lease is up in Aug.

The way I have rationalized it is that the BMW has been comfortable, fun, safe and even thrifty and is thus ideal for its "workhorse" status. I see the Cayman as being a fun driver on weekends; i.e., for leisure rather than work activities.

My next lease will probably be another BMW.

I'm still considering the addition of a Cayman, in addition, though.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Only YOU can answer this question of "tolerability"for yourself. Everybody's risk/reward equation on having a sports car as a daily driver is different.

But (and I'm speaking quietly, not screaming), if you need to go for an automatic because of traffic, I think the Cayman may not be the right car for you. When we had a Honda S2000 as a third car, I found it delightful but my wife could only tolerate it for short drives due to the engine noise and high strung nature of the car. Our 911S is more "civilized"; the Cayman is probably in-between. But in spite of her lower tolerance level regarding noise, my wife NEVER would have given up a manual transmission in her daily driver SUV by choice. When we traded our Isuzu Trooper for a MDX, she had no choice.

My point is that driving a stick in traffic may be a good metric. If you can't tolerate that, driving a high strung, relatively noisy sports car 2-4 hours a day might get old real fast.

If I were faced with your situation, I'd be keeping my semi-retired 1995 Nissan Maxima SE 5-speed with 155k miles for most of the daily commutes (it's book value is about $3,500) and buy a 6-speed Cayman S for the weekends and days when I felt like commuting in (real) sport. Given that the tiptronic costs about $3,400 and diminishes resale, that's a better than even wash in my book. If that didn't work, I'd probably get a 335i - but still in manual mode. I'll be 50 soon and I'm getting too old to learn how to drive an automatic and smile at the same time. ;)

If I did have to forego my left leg exercise, the E320 Bluetec might be worth considering.
    The 335i looks like a killer on paper. 0-60 times are faster than the current M3. Throw in good gas mileage, lots of creature comforts and tech stuff (bluetooth, killer stereo)and a good value (45-50K loaded)and how can you beat it? But...
    I test drove the sedan and liked but didn't love it yet. I had the last version of the 330i and that was a car I loved.
    This one also had all the right moves but maybe I've changed, since it didn't "rock my world". I may have to try the coupe which will have sport suspension. Now the Cayman is really a special car. It's not nearly as fast (in base), costs more, doesn't have the tech stuff but it's got show stopping looks and slot car handling. You know you're in a special machine. I like the tiptronic; one traffic jam trying to get into the Lincoln tunnel for 45 minutes has cured me of a stick as my everyday ride.
    Anyone out there using the Cayman as an everyday car and putting 15K of city driving on her per year? Chime in please.
  • redsoxgirlredsoxgirl Member Posts: 67
    "Anyone out there using the Cayman as an everyday car and putting 15K of city driving on her per year?"

I averaged 13,500 miles a year in my Boxster S before trading it for a 911S last fall. It looks like I'll average 12,000 miles +/- in the 911. Less commuting (moved from North Carolina to Boston and live/work downtown) but more long weekend trips. Properly maintained, Porsches are pretty durable, if that's your concern.

"I like the tiptronic; one traffic jam trying to get into the Lincoln tunnel for 45 minutes has cured me of a stick as my everyday ride."

One traffic jam "cured" you? I'd re-label that as "poisoned" you. And only one - that's a pretty sad statement of intestinal fortitude. :confuse: ;)

FWIW, Boston traffic is a lot worse than Charlotte and Raleigh, but it's never once caused me any additional pain or frustration to have a manual transmission. I happen to agree with the suggestion that if you can't endure a manual transmission in traffic, you will probably find a sports car as a daily driver will also wear on you. Obviously, it's your decision, but after driving a Cayman S tiptronic as a loaner whan my car was in for service, I was rather dissapointed. My previous test drives of a 6-speed were extremely positive - to the point I considered it in lieu of the 911S. But the tiptronic seemed to significantly sap the power (down to the level of a base Cayman with manual).
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    My quandary is this: is it a good daily driver for the congested and often cold Northeast? I would use it almost every day and at times I am in the car for upwards of 2-4 hours in a given day (round trip). Much in traffic, so don't scream at me, but I would go for the auto tranny.

I couldn’t think of better reasons not to get a Porsche. It’s the last car I want in traffic short of an Elise. Adding an automatic transmission to this equation is just insult on top of injury. Big waste of money all around. These cars are made to be driven with the freedom of a bird, not wrangle with traffic, potholes and winter. Every once in a while I get stuck in traffic on the uphill approach to the GW bridge on route 46 and it tests my sanity. Another thing, fours hours a day is a lot of time to spend in a bumpy, noisy sports car; you should consider this also. What should be fun could become a prison. It’s not the time in the car, it’s that traffic combined with urban roads. Now, fours of ridin’ down the freeway and twistoflexeroonies, that’s a different story, but a roller coaster that doesn’t roll is no fun in my opinion.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    What should be fun could become a prison. It’s not the time in the car, it’s that traffic combined with urban roads. Now, fours of ridin’ down the freeway and twistoflexeroonies, that’s a different story, but a roller coaster that doesn’t roll is no fun in my opinion.

Well said. 'nuff said.
  • clemboclembo Member Posts: 253
    Buy the Cayman S for weekends - you don't want to do your commute in this car, get a used Accord for $10k and use it for the traffic fighter. When you get home from work and on weekends you can fire up the Cayman and relieve your stress. It is a great car, I have had mine for almost a year although it hasn't been out of the garage in a while due to crappy Boston weather. I think that I only have about 5k miles on the Cayman in a year, I should have more it is a blast to drive.
  • rmddsrmdds Member Posts: 10
    Manual drives Porsches have very little residual value in my country. Probably because of urban driving most of the time - lots of city congestion and numerous numbers of traffic light junctions.I have ordered a Cayman S in manual, but members in the local Porsche club have discouraged me against it. I have done a poll with the dealer of the number of caymans and 911s ordered in manual over the past year, and the figures reinforces the point.

It would be an injustive spending so much on the car and not derive the maximum satisfaction of driving this beauty in manual. Sigh...My heart says manual, but my head says Tiptronic....

Any opinions?
    Go with what you want but I for one see no shame in an automatic. They have become so good that the performance is very close. It's what you like and want that counts. By the way, read the comparison of the new Audi R8 and the Porsche turbo at Edmunds and you'll see that the Porsche has a 5 speed tiptronic and that's in a super car for 123K.
    I agree with topspin - go with what YOU want.

I have lived in DC for 20+ years and have yet to feel that "urban" driving was incompatible with a manual. With respect to resale, in our area a tiptronic has a lower residual value on leases and lower resale value - the opposite of what you are indicating. But even then, I'd repeat the advice to buy what you would enjoy driving and owning. Paying top dollar for a Porsche based upon what the next guy's preferences might be is, IMO, not what the experience is all about.

P.S. I would also not pay attention to road tests of the 911 turbo tiptronic as any indication of the Cayman. From what I understand, you have to go through quite a "launch sequence" to achieve the claim of quicker than the manual - and that's only in a straight line from a dead stop. What matters is how you will be driving the car and what feels good to you. Stop light drag racing isn't why most people buy a Porsche - and certainly not the lower powered but exceptional handling Cayman model.
  • kmnsownrkmnsownr Member Posts: 1
    Definitely go for what YOU want. I have driven a manual Cayman S for the last year and have never found it to be bother in traffic or not. As for the engine noise...I have never found it to be intrusive but rather enjoyable instead of the radio....
    How many miles on your Cayman S in the last year?
    I agree with you about the engine sound. I took my Cayman out today for the first time in a few months and I turned the radio off so I could enjoy the sweet mid-engine sounds of my car. It enhances the driving experience.
    So you moved from NC and now you are part of Red Sox Nation- well done. I live in NYC but unlike some here, I love the sox fans and a day at Fenway is hard to beat anywhere. Is your 911 a coupe or convert? If convert how is it at keeping out the cold/noise. Yeah, traffic in Boston is some of the worst I've ever seen. As for the tiptronic, I know where you and some of the P Fans are coming from and even at the bimmer boards you get a lot of folks who think that the manual is the only way to go. I have a miata that I use for weekend fun and it's a stick but for my everyday ride, I prefer an auto. To me the trade off is worth it. By the way, if Porche begins to use the DSG of Audi, then you will have a car that shifts faster and loses 0 performance(I guess it gains performance in fact). But if you love the experience of rowing the gears, I certainly can appreciate that. I think an auto Porsche is still a Porsche.
  • getty1getty1 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I am a new owner of a silver cayman S. I love it. It is such a fine machine.

I was wondering if I can ask for some opinion about tire maintenance.
    I seem to have a tire pressure leak on one of my rear tires (19 inch). I say I'm losing about 5 pounds per day as I have observed if the car sat all day.

I called the dealer and they suggested I replace the tire with a brand new one versus doing a patching due to the dynamics of the tires when travelling with higher speeds.
    My driving habits dont take me up passed 90mph. The tire replacement is anywhere from $400 to $500 a pop.

Since this is my first Porsche I was wondering if that advise is justified to anyone. Thanks and I appreciate anyone's input.
    How "new" is the car / tire? If you just bought the car brand new, and you have noticed the leak immediately, I would think the dealer should take some responsiblity.

On the other hand, did the leaking start after an "event" such as hitting a pot hole or running over something? If there isn't an obvious nail or other source of a leak in the tire tread, it may be caused by a bent rim. In which case you are looking at a lot more than $400 to $500.

As far as fixing a hole, I don't think a small nail hole type patch would throuw the tire dynamics out of whack. But it sounds like you haven't identified the source of the leak.
  • chanderchander Member Posts: 21
    I am seeking advise on 2 issues-Can anyone chime in re the PASM feature pros and cons? Does the lower ground clearance pose a possibility of body damage from potholes?
    Often times the PASM comes with 19" tires,does this cause a significantly rough ride?,Thanx :)
    There has been a lot of discussion about just this point on the Cayman Club forums, but in a nutshell PASM helps compensate for road conditions on the fly so you are apt to have a smoother, not rougher, ride with 19" wheels although it can certainly be very firm on smooth surfaces. Best advice is to test drive cars with and without and then decide.
    I assume you are aware that PASM has two settings you can toggle between via a push button. I have a 911S in which PASM and 19" wheels are standard. The "normal" setting is at least, if not more, comfortable than the standard suspension on a base 911 w/ 18" wheels. Yet, even on the normal setting, body roll is very minimal and the car handles very well. The "sport" setting is noticably stiffer and great for "enthusiastic" driving on smooth surfaces, but too harsh for daily driving on city streets, IMO. After 18 months and nearly 13k miles, I am a fan of PASM. But I must admit that I probably only use the "sport" PASM setting 10% of the time. On the other hand, I use the "sport" setting on my sport/chrono (faster throttle response and braking) closer to 50% of the time. The two can be toggled independently.

I have had no negative issues with the lower ground clearance of PASM, although I have yet to hit a major pothole and do my best to avoid them. I think the difference in ground clearance is minimal and if you hit a big enough pothole, it would do damage wither way.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    .. that the bigger risk to 19" wheels is tire/rim damage from having 1/2" less sidewall..

I've not heard too many stories of body damage from potholes... on any car. I doubt 19" vs. 18" would have much effect there... the axles are still the same distance from the ground.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• bgsntthbgsntth Member Posts: 92
    This is the reason I have 17" rims on my Cayman, as I drive through SF everyday and take advantage of the pot-hole ridden commute lane on Bay Street to cut time. The Cayman base suspension is very compliant and rarely bottoms-out, much less so even than my previous OBXT, ironcially enough.
    SF traffic is probably similar to NYC so I have to ask how you like it and if you use as a daily driver? I am very drawn to this car for the looks and performance but I'm concerned a bit on the noise factor and the comfort as a daily driver. Also, just curious why you chose over a boxster? I like the looks of the Cayman much more but how much fun are you giving up without the vert option?
    Did anyone cross shop the Cayman with the Vette?

Thanks to all for input/opinions.
    "Did anyone cross shop the Cayman with the Vette?"

I have a 911, not a Cayman, but was asked that question by a friend who is considering a Porsche now. My response is that the two couldn't be further apart on the subjective qualities. Porsche is all about precision, finesse and quality, the Corvette is all about brute power and quantity. In actual statistical performance, a 911S and Corvette (or Viper, for that matter) are not all that far apart. But how you feel in the drivers seat is night and day. Both when the car is moving and when it isn't.
  • bgsntthbgsntth Member Posts: 92
    The Cayman works very well as a daily driver, if you are an enthusiast who accepts it is a true sports car. The suspension is stiff, but compliant. The engine makes a lot of noise, but it is glorious. It also is very comfortable, and has a lot of space for gym bags and such.

I chose it over a Boxster because I never really fit in the Boxster; albeit I have not sat in one in the last 3 years, I had a convertible previously and actually prefer a hardtop, and I will at some point start participating in trackdays.
  • rmddsrmdds Member Posts: 10
    Anyone out there who has driven both - the Cayman S and BMW's new 335i? Any perspectives or thoughts on the relative performance. I have yet to test drive the latter.

I know both are entirely different cars. But, I have been hearing big raves about the 335i's twin turbo, never mind the new M3 which will be out next year.Just wanted to hear out some comments. Tks :confuse:
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    That's easy - the Cayman is sportier and the 335 is roomier.
  • vodkavodka Member Posts: 2
    In every family there’s one person who thinks a little differently than everyone else. Someone who is very much in touch with his roots, but interprets them in a totally different way.

Check the powerful expression of the energy:

Performance, acceleration, speed. Terms subconsciously associated with the rear view(if you can only see the rear) of the new Cayman S. Central to the look: the dual tailpipe. Framed by two ribs that allow a glimpse of the twin-branch performance exhaust system. An effective synthesis of forms and function. In true Porsche fashion, the open design not only offers outstanding looks, but also provides additional cooling.
  • seamus6seamus6 Member Posts: 7
    I've driven both and now own an '07 Cayman S. They are two completely different cars. The 335i is an excellent sports coupe (I traded a Z4 for the Cayman) that offers typical BMW performance, handling, quality and comfort. For my money the 335i is a better choice than the new M3. But the Cayman S is a superior sports car, not a GT, not just another sports coupe. If Porsche would endow it with 50 more hp, it would outperform the Carrera and the Carrera S. As it is, it is a wonderful driving experience and stops, goes and corners better than anything one could buy for $25k more than its lofty price. And it works as a daily driver with excellent storage space for a true sports car. The gas mileage, while not in the econo car class is acceptable for a car with its performance. Its quality is first class, too, as it should be for the price. Check out the J. D. Power ratings. Porsche and the Cayman in particular, is tops. One personal quality is that is does not come with runflat tires as do all BMWs. In my opinion, they are awful tires and awfully expensive to boot. RFs cannot be repaired under any circumstances and the cost well over $200 each to replace even when you run over something as simple as a small nail that barely punctures the tire. In the final analysis, it's what you want.. do you need four seats? If so, get the BMW. If not, drive a Cayman, preferably an S with a 6 speed, and you'l be smitten. It is simply a superior automobile. :):):):)
  • shanemstrshanemstr Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 Cayman S. I lowered my car 8 months ago with H&R springs. About two weeks ago, I heard a dragging noise from the rear of the car. I took the car to the dealership for inspection, they information the stroud had slip and ripped the cv boot. They didn't want to cover the repairs under my warranty because I lowered my car with after market accesories. A friend told that a lot of owers had the same problem without lowering the car. Has anybody had the same problem, or similar. I'm trying to get more information.

Any feed back is appreciated.

Thank you!!
  • uniklyunikly Member Posts: 3
    Im new to this forum. Planning to buy me a new car since I just relocated to the US. I got a limited budget but fancy me a small car rather than a huge truck. Options are Caymen S or SLK 55 AMG. Both have the same price range. Am using the car for a short drive to work. Anyone care to expose the comparisons between these 2 cars, lets hear it. Cheers. :blush:
    You seriously need to test drive these two cars. They have almost nothing in common from a driving perspective, IMO.

The SLK55 isn't really a sports car, IMO. It's a nearly 3,500lb SL-lite, with lots of torque attached to a lousy slushbox automatic. If you like to drag race between stoplights, it's the bomb. But for any other kind of driving, I'd take another of my former $32k Honda S2000 over it any day.

The Cayman S is a serious sports car. According to my Acura/Mercedes dealer, who owns one, it is the 911 of old. I happen to like my 997 version, but I know what he means. He may sell SLK55's and SL65's, but he drives a Speed Yellow Cayman S. Six speed manual, of course.

You aren't going to get much help in this forum. I think the answer resides with you. Do you want a real sports car, or something else? And I hope that you are going to use whatever you get for more than just a short drive to work. Otherwise, you might as well get a Prius.
    As habitat1 said, these cars have almost nothing in common. The Mercedes is a luxury barge (albeit a smaller one) trying to be disquised as a performance car. The Cayman is a true sports car down to its last bolt. They serve different purposes and usually appeal to different drivers / styles. You owe it to yourself to do your research and this site along with Cayman Club both have a ton of information on the Cayman.

Then get out there and test drive each of them and report back and let us know what you think!
  • rking2rking2 Member Posts: 1
    Im new to this but I have been thinking about getting a cayman s for my self.
    Need some feed back.
    What sort of feedback are you looking for? There is a Cayman Sales and Leasing forum at the CaymanClub.Net website if it is a sales or leasing question check there. If you are just wondering whether or not the car is a good one, simply YES it is an outstanding car. :)
    Start with placing your rear end in the seat for a test drive. Then come back if you have any further questions.
  • john200john200 Member Posts: 6
    I came very close to getting Cayman in November, but as usually, my wife jumped in and we ended up getting the "practical car", an Audi Q7 3.6 Premium to replace her Allroad. That being said, she assured me I could get my Cayman, a weekend toy, next year and she won't say a thing. Deal. And no, I did not get this in writting. Does anyone feel my pain?

However, during my apparent mid-life crisis theropy, I tested three medications: One, a 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe, a 2008 Cayman and 2008 Cayman S. BMW had some very good lease deals on 2007 BMW Z4 M's and M Coupes. Almost too good to pass up. Then I drove the Cayman and the Cayman S. They are, as all the car magazines say, the winners. The Z4 M Coupe was fun too, great lease deal and a brute, but in a good way.

Had the stars aligned properly, I would have ended up with an Red/Tan '08 Cayman. I am sure Porsche will make more next year.

My biggest complaint with the Porsche was the absolutely terrible stereo system. Even the upgraded Premium Bose systerm sounded like it came from a 2001 Toyota Corolla, and what's up the the FM tuner and it's slow station selection. No Ipod interface either. Come on Porsche, call your brothers at Audi and have then ship you one of their Bose systerms. The Bose system in the BMW Z4 M Coupe was a serious system and could have been a turning point. Hey, I like my I-Tune, o.k.?

I know the Cayman is due for a face lift in 2008/2009. I hope, I mean really hope, Porsche has decided the stereo gets a update as well. A $50,000+ car should have the best stereo systerm, par non. And don't hand me that bs about true Porsche drivers don't listen to the radio when driving.

A great car, I hope to join the club next year. Porsche, fix the radio!!!!
    John, I agree with you to a point, Porsche has always been notoriously slow to keep their electronics up to date. The stereo is a good example, their NAV systems, and their slow adoption of Bluetooth are also examples. Now to your point about owners not caring because they rarely use the stereo, well I have to agree. I have had my Cayman S for about 18 months, about half of the time I drive I have the windows down to enjoy the sweet engine sounds. I wouldn't have believed it but it is true, it adds to an already wonderful driving experience.

Good luck in your pursuit of a Cayman, stay persistant, it is worth it!
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    I'll make you a deal! If you get the Cayman and don't like it because of the radio, you can trade cars with me. I've upgraded the stock radio on my 2001 Honda Prelude Type SH to a Pioneer Head Unit with Sirius & Ipod integration. If you give me the Cayman, I'll even have the shop upgrade the speakers before I give you my Prelude....Deal? lol

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

If it's any consolation, the "upgraded" Bose system in my 911S Cab also sucks. And the Nav system is a royal pain in the [non-permissible content removed] to use compared to the touch screen in my Acura TL. Bluetooth? I-pod? Forget it.

That said, I have to agree with clembo that it really doesn't matter. After 2+ years and 17,400 miles, the enjoyment of DRIVING the 911 is still there.

And when I think about it, back when I had a Honda S2000 and had manual seats and a stereo system that wasn't as good as my daughter's i-Home, it didn't matter either. Nissan could have put a friggin symphony hall in the 350Z and a power, memory, heated drivers seat that massaged your do-dads while you were cruising the highway and I would never have traded the driving dynamics of the S2000 for it.

Trust me. You may think it matters now, but if you actually get a Cayman S, you will be surprised that the lousy stereo and lack of modern electronics will become less important to you, the longer you drive the car. Not making excuses for Porsche. Just stating the reality of my 2+ year ownership experience.
  • john200john200 Member Posts: 6
    I do agree that I would most likely survive quite well with the radio off. Seriously, I do understand that it is the "Porsche Driving Experience" that is what owning this car is all about.

It is only my hope that, just maybe, someone at Porsche maybe scanning these comments and realize their are those of us, potential buyers and current owners, who do like our music too. That upgrading the stereo for the upcoming 2009 Cayman update is in order. It can't be that hard.

I too don't care about all the other luxury gizmo's either. I just want a great stereo with an Ipod interface. I'd rather not have some kid at Circuit City taking apart my Porsche and installing an aftermarket head unit and speakers that does not fit the looks of the Cayman interior. Nor risk the fact that it still may not sound good or void any factory warranties. Especially when it comes to electrical warranty issues. Not to mention, if you lease a Porsche you can't do anything to it anyway.

It does not help the cause when everyone agrees that stereo in Porsche's are no good and admit they turn them off. Again, I understand, but don't you think sports cars costing $55K and up should have a great stereo. Especially your 911S Cab.

Anyone at Porsche listening?
    Yes, Porsche *IS* listening and one of the ways they listen is through surveys. If you'd like your voice to count, take this survey:

http://www.caymanclub.net/cayman-chat/poll-165-select-all-items-you-would-defini- tely-buy-if-porsche-offered-them-via-tequipment.html

Porsche is monitoring the results of the survey and is planning to make some changes in their tequipment lineup going forward.
  • mean_porschemean_porsche Member Posts: 2
    I think everyone should remember...The thing that sets Porsche and all the other Exotic cars (Ferrari, Lambourgini, etc..) apart from the others is that they are *not* mainstream vehicles. The car is built for performance and I don't know too many people who want to listen to the radio when they are at the track in high-performance mode!

That being said, I understand around town is different and there are plenty of high-end shops that provide aftermarket support for Porsches and other high-end vehicles. I personally had an amp added in the boot (where the CD changer should go) and a 10 inch sub added in the rear compartment of Cayman. It enhances the overall sound far better than what can be achieve with any Bose car system. The highs and mids even sound better once you don't have to crank the system.

This was all done at a cost less than the Bose upgrade and I can pull it and reuse if I decide to sell my Cayman.

One thing is certain, 10-20 years down the road, no one is going to care about the Bose stereo or IPod connector or anything other than the performance of the car and shape its in if they buy it from you. Most likely the radios, IPods, etc won't be up to par with the "new market". But the Porsche technology will continue to out live Honda, Toyota, and any other mainstream car with all their fancy options.

MHO.
  • petew9petew9 Member Posts: 1
    I have a fantastic Yellow Cayman S. Anyone considering a car in this category get out and buy one... there's no other car in this category! I'm thinking of an engine re-map for more power, and feel I should also upgrade the brakes. Thinking of maybe yellow EBC. Anyone any knowledge comments.
  • tesla43tesla43 Member Posts: 2
    I bought a new 2007 Cayman S almost one year ago. I have had an occasional problem over the past few weeks when starting the car. Sometimes when I turn the ignition I get no response at all. It does this multiple times. I then remove the key and lock the steering wheel. I insert the key again, unlock the steering wheel and it will start. Today, the same thing happened, however, when attempting to start it after a few tries, the starter, or solenoid, sounded like it made a rapid clicking noise. I then went through the same scenario all over again of removing the key and locking the wheel, and then unlocking, and the car started. It doesn't happen all of the time. Does anybody know if there is a problem with either the solenoid or some other ignition component for the 2007? Or, am I just doing something wrong when trying to start the vehicle? Any help is much appreciated.