Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Porsche Cayman S

SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
Can't afford a 911, but don't like the look of the Boxster? Now there's a new Porsche coupe with a unique look and a slightly more reasonable price.

2006 Porsche Cayman S

Comments

• teds1teds1 Member Posts: 180
    I have to say Edmunds and every other automotive news source is pretty much dead on with this one... It looks really cool but doesn't really serve a purpose. If you have $65k to spend on a porsche... chances are you can swing $75k for the 911 or pick up a slightly used one. I really do like the styling though... porsche purists won't however. Should be a moderate hit, not as accesible as the boxster but I think you will see similar sales numbers to the BMW 645. They aren't true competitors but I think they will appeal to the same buyers. 285 hp (or thereabouts) is a little slim for $65k even in a light little body. When you have g35s, z's, subarus, and evos less than half the price with the same performance it looks like much less of a bargain. I actually like the controversial name though ... it actually kind of looks like a cayman
  • speeds2muchspeeds2much Member Posts: 164
    This car is beating 997s around the Ring by 4 seconds and the 0-60 is only a tenth or so off the 997's pace. More luggage room than the 997 and a superior, mid-engine design. I also like the front fascia, which beats both the 997 and 987 imo. The protruding-yet-plain nose is the main thing I don't like about the latter-mentioned models' styling, btw.

Is Porsche trying to phase out the 911? I think so. Will they succeed?/ Again, I think so. Maybe the rear-engined cars will survive at the very high end, i.e. Turbo/GT2/GT3. Once the sedan Porsche comes out, those who buy the 997 for the jumpseat will have a better option.....
  • royalredroyalred Member Posts: 16
    Love the look of this car. Waiting to see it in person.
  • zephyr750zephyr750 Member Posts: 1
    i'm looking forward to the non-s version that will be coming out about a year after the initial offering. it'll come with the engine from the current boxster s. hopefully they'll leave off some of the luxury and technology items from the s model to drop a couple hundred pounds of weight (and several thousands of dollars) and will result in a car thats a little lighter on its feet.
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ..on this one. The high-end Cayman debutes Jan '06.

After a year or so, the non-S will be at the top of my short list...........best, ez
  • carol44carol44 Member Posts: 2
    I HAVE A 2005 CAYENNE S. I HAVE TAKEN THE CAR IN 3 TIMES FOR ALIGNMENT ISSUES. THE CAR PULLS TO THE RIGHT CONSTANTLY. DEALER CLAIMS THE ROADS ARE SLANTED AND THE CAYENNE IS HEAVY ON THE FRONT END & IT WILL DO THIS; HOWEVER, NOT AN ALIGNMENT ISSUE. ANYBODY HAVE THIS PROBLEM?
  • navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    I think you're in the wrong forum.

Your issue is about a Porsche Cayenne S, and this forum is discussing the future Porsche Cayman S.

Sorry, about your problem. Post it in the Porsche Cayenne forum, and good luck!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    And here's the link:
    Porsche Cayenne

PS - Please turn your CAPS LOCK off - it makes your message hard to read, and people think you're shouting at them.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• chris65amgchris65amg Member Posts: 372
    is a pretty one. It looks enough like a 911 and Boxster to looke Porsche, but it has a unique shape.
  • phde1phde1 Member Posts: 3
    Dear Sir,I'm interested to know the speed of a FERRARI F430 spider 0 to 100 Km/h or a faster vehicle?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Since this topic is about the upcoming Porsche Cayman S, please visit one of these discussions:
    2006 Ferrari F430 Spider Convertible - First Production Photos!!!
    Ferrari-the Ultimate classic (Ferrari Lovefest Topic)
    to talk about Ferraris.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

A review on driving the Cayman S
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,046
    I really like it.. .but..

1) A hatchback? I know it really maximizes the cargo room... but, I'd rather it be a true coupe...

2) It doesn't look like they can fit a sunroof in there.. but, I may be wrong..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Not sure about the sunroof, but they may have a Targa model in the future.
  • avoguyavoguy Member Posts: 11
    1) I love the hatchback style. Think of it as a Porsche station wagon.

2) A sunroof is not available in the Cayman.

I've driven a Boxster S for the last four years and think its a wonderful ride. The Cayman S adds more power, better brakes, handling, body tightness, and utility. Add in that everyone who's seen it in the metal says it looks better than in the photos and it looks drop dead gorgeous in photos. I couldn't resist and ordered one on Monday which should be delivered in January.
    Have they started taking orders yet? A dealership I talked to in Northern California did not have any more information than what is on the prosche site. Call you tell us what price they quoted for taking orders?
  • davidnj1davidnj1 Member Posts: 13
    The Z06 has equal street practicality, significantly more raw performance, and costs the same.

The Cayman has a better handling mid-engine configuration, more upscale interior (although I image slightly cramped a la Boxster), more class, and still acceptable performance (probably at a 350Z level).

If the Cayman had the 381hp X51 997 engine and the DSG transmission it would be the hands-down choice.

I am not fond of either car's styling. The Corvette styling says your compensating for something (and attracts police). They Cayman is just strange. Front grill is over done. Side intakes are a bit tacky, and the tail lacks strength. A 904 look would have been so much better.

The Z06 has one interesting problem for a car that seems like a race car for the street: there is virtually no place to race it! It is not allowed in stock autocross or Solo I classes. It is so fast that drag strips will require a roll bar with front door bars; a big PITA. And the center exhaust on C6 Corvettes apparently precludes towing a tire trailer. Oh, the aluminum frame makes roll bar installation problematical. And there are really no track tires in the right sizes.

Which way to go? Or maybe wait for an E90 M3 with SMG transmission?
  • halfkrauthalfkraut Member Posts: 2
    I read rumors of a DSG type gearbox for the Cayman S, can anyone here confirm?
    Royalred,

Sorry to be late to reply but I was putting miles on the Boxster S. The dealership called me Aug. 27 saying the ordering guide was available (online). I ordered it Monday the 29th. The base price is $58,900 and I added about $11,000 in options which included an expensive color and the nav system. My cost will be MSRP -- too new to start getting discounts.

The SMG transmission is not available yet. Porsche is working on one and hopefully it'll be ready for the 2007 models.
    I can't find any price details on the porsche site? Where is the ordering guide available? The dealership here was asking for $3000.00 over MSRP when the car is available. WHere is the dealership you booked your order? Getting this car at MSRP at this point is a very good deal.
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    Preview booklets and ordering guides are now available at dealers. You can also get them at caymanclub.net. I’ve heard nothing but MSRP so tell that dealer to take a hike. I can't wait to drive it either. I think this one is going to go down as the best pure driver's car around.
  • _da_paladin___da_paladin__ Member Posts: 2
    I talked to the guys @ RUF, and guess what, they confirmed a new model based on the Cayman S... :D

Can't wait 4 it to come out... ;)
  • _da_paladin___da_paladin__ Member Posts: 2
    Hey, HP ain't the only factor. The Cayman S is lightweight, those G's, Z's, and Subarus are quite heavy, and the Cayman S is a true track car, most to these cars can only go in a straight line...

Also, the Cayman has those strong points. From the offical site (England site), the Cayman has no external hoses, and needs a oil change max. (and other changes) every TWO years/54,000 km)!

Love the look, if you took a side-by-side comparison of a Cayman S and the species of Caiman, you can actually see them similar to one another.

Justan't wait for the RUF conversion...
  • jcp1958jcp1958 Member Posts: 1
    does anyone have a feel/answer for whether the cayman S will comfortably seat a 6'4'' driver (200 lbs) and carry 2 sets of golf clubs in the trunk/boot??
    I’m guessing the clubs may fit. However I heard someone who saw it in the flesh say the rear trunk area seemed smaller than it looks in photos. I think you could run into a problem with legroom and possibly headroom but you’ll have to wait and see. Needless to say, at 6’ 4” I wouldn’t be ordering one sight unseen. Do you fit in the Boxster? I would expect the same, maybe a little more headroom in Cayman. Again, just guessing.
    Reportedly, the Cayman S has been designed to have more headroom for the driver and passenger. Note the windscreen has slightly less rake than the Boxster and the roof line arches higher than the Boxster's convertible top. Also a sunroof is not offered or planned which they say is to give more headroom. I have a hunch given the curve of the roof it was also just too difficult to fit a sunroof.

Whether or not a couple sets of golf clubs will fit is probably dependent on the size of the bags. We know the clubs will fit but if the bag is too thick then there might be problems.

BTW, the Sept. 26 issue of AutoWeek has several pages on the Frankfurt Show. They chose the Cayman S as Best in Show and say the reason was "Because Cayman is sexy as hell, that's why--and looks far better in the sheetmetal than it does in photos, which don't even begin to capture its aggressive stance, strong hips and overarching roofline." Sounds like the guy should get a room.
  • rjlaerorjlaero Member Posts: 659
    You really have to add 10-15 grand to the base price on any Porche to get some decent options. So a 70-75K Cayman is what your looking at in most cases.

Considering you're going to pay full sticker for the Cayman for quite a while, it's not exactly a budget 911.
  • stinger7stinger7 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,
    I have a dilemma. I saw pics of the Cayman and the new BMW Z4 coupe. Now, I'm not going to push either to their limits so performance wise, they are both acceptable. I'd like to know which one you would prefer and why. More hp, braking, engine capacity etc don't really matter as either car will be driven in the northeast, to and from work and maybe over the weekends. Thhanks :confuse:
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,425
    I can't recall any car getting the great press this car is getting in every single magazine/review I read (maybe the E36 M3). Porsche definitely hit the nail on the head with this car. I love the styling! I can't wait to see the sheetmetal. That being said, I probably won't be able to afford a Cayman until the second generation base model comes out...I can still dream can't I?

Is the car going to be built at the same factory as the Boxster so they can play with production nunbers as demand increases for one product and decreases for another?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,046
    Car & Driver that just came out has a pretty good road test of the Cayman S..

Same factory as the Boxster...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• brandonfbrandonf Member Posts: 1
    Any idea why Edmonds refers to the Cayman as "Porsches little Roadster"?
    Does "roadster" not imply convertible in the popular vernacular?
    AUTOWEEK Oct. 24 says the Cayman S "places high on our 'best drives ever' list." "Wonderfully balanced" "superior handling" "wonderful aural experience, greatly adding to the driving thrills."They also think Porsche is mistaken and that many potential 911 buyers will opt for the Cayman S.

Roadster is defined as an open automobile. Don't have a clue what Edmonds was referring to.
  • kattengellkattengell Member Posts: 6
    I just ordered a Cayman and was wondering if anyone else has one on order or plans to in the future. I would like to know what options you chose.

Aloha Russ
    I don't think the Cayman will steal any sales from the the 911, too big a difference in price. I would have loved to have had a 911, but that was not within my 66K budget.

Aloha Russ
    Avoguy,

I just read that you ordered a Cayman. What options did you pick. I got the Cobalt Blue 3K, the Bose 1K, and the 19" Carrera 5 spoke 2K, Crested wheel caps $185, and Floor mats $115. everything else is standard. Whadayathink?

Aloha Russ
    My Cayman is a December build and February delivery. I had to fight for that as they were 13 people ahead of me. I threatened to got to Beverly Hills Porsche and buy it, and that did the trick.

ANyone else?

Russ
  • patch2patch2 Member Posts: 4
    What did you pay? MSRP?
    I called Beverly Hills Porsche, Honolulu, Newport Beach and all said the same thing, the price is set and there is no negociating. They had 13 names ahead of mine all of whom paid MSRP.

Have you found a lower price?

Aloha Russ
    I have been shopping and hearing the samething. Has anyone received a discount out there?
    I joined a chat group called the "Cayman Club" and at least three people there say that they did not pay MSRP, but could not say how much under they paid. They all ordered theirs way back in July, I ordered mine on Friday!

Russ
    How do I get on the Cayman chat club?
    caymanclub.net
    Thanks, The Cayman will sell out quick once it hits the streets in January. I also have a Dec. build and late January early February delivery.
    I'm anxiously waiting to get a build date. I ordered mine about a month ago the day after the ordering guides were posted. Mine is Artic Silver with Coco full leather, Bose, seats, 18" (cause I love the standard wheels in all the photos). This will also be my first Porsce with tiptronic. I order thru Ruznak in Thousand Oaks and will pay MSRP ($72,500) when it arrives in January--that is unless the market for Cayman's has collapsed by then. When I ordered my Boxster S 5 years ago there was a six month wait, but I did benefit because the market was much weeker when it arrived and I was able to buy it for under MSRP.
    I'm anxiously waiting to learn the build date. I ordered it about a month ago the day after the ordering guides was posted. Artic Silver, coco leather, premium tiptronic pkg, Bose, seats etc. This will be my first Porsche with tip. I'll pay MSRP of $72,500 -- unless the market for Caymans collapses between now and January. When I ordered my Boxster S 5 years ago that's what happen during the 6 month wait and I paid several thousand under MSRP.
  • daymandayman Member Posts: 2
    how did you get it for less when it arrived? I would have assumed once you order it, you are locked in.
  • daymandayman Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know anything about doing European delivery on a Cayman? Has anyone done it with another model? I am wondering how this affects negotiating... I've already seen on this forum that the Cayman is going for MSRP... although some allude to another site (Caymanclub.net) on which Cayman buyers purportedly paid less than MSRP. Assuming there is any room for negotiating, does European delivery hurt or help?
    I was obviously joking about the Cayman S market changing between now and January. However, from 2000 to 2001 the market for Boxsters changed remarkably. It seemed every dealer had waiting lists then six months later most dealers had too many Boxster's in inventory. When my S arrived I suggested it was now worth less than MSRP. The dealer agreed and we had a very pleasant transaction. There hasn't been a contract involved with either order, the Boxster or the Cayman, just a deposit for a few thousand dollars which I have assumed is refundable.