Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Pilot 2006

Comments

• jimmy5150jimmy5150 Member Posts: 30
    Is this your first Honda?
  • odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    Mine as in my name yes, but my wife Had a 2000 Civic EX, and a 2003 Accord EX (current). both of which have been purchased since we were married in '99.

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
  • master1master1 Member Posts: 340
    Odie6l, I just want to suggest so be careful with posting pictures of your children. You never know who is looking at those pictures. Too many cases like this, especially with americas most wanted.

Just please be careful when doing that.
    that's why it's only thos 2 pictures, because really we are not even to put family pictures in Carspace, but I didn't want to put my daughter on the hood of the car just to get around a technicality. :shades: And also if anyone came near the oldest, I pity them, she can shatter eardrums and nerves.

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
  • allison5allison5 Member Posts: 130
    I am curious on what people think of the leg room in the drivers seat of pilot? I have not heard of too many people complaining about it so I am just thinking maybe it's me. I am woman with average height 5'8" and I found that I couldn't really stretch my left leg while driving. Has anyone else had this experience? I am still trying to decide between this and the odyessy. I am getting close though because I have to make a final decision in the next week or so. I have 3 kids 12 and under, Odyessy is really nice but my old one (2002) was kind of uncomfortable in the lower back on long drives.
  • czpczp Member Posts: 15
    We are very close to purchasing a 2006 4WD Honda Pilot EX-L. While doing some research on this vehicle, I came across "Recall imminent" listed as a con on a Pilot owner's rating of his vehicle on Consumer Reports' website. Is this true? If so, would have anything to do with the steering column vibration I have read about on this forum, or something else? Or is the recall comment a crock? Just wondering. :confuse:

-CZP
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    well, there is certainly not a lack of legroom. It comes down to how you sit and how you position yourself for driving.

I'm 6'5" and never had a legroom problem with the Pilot. The problem with ours came down to the lack of a telescoping steering wheel. I had to sit closer to the dash so that my arms were more comfortable, which meant, like you, I couldn't stretch out my legs.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• bandemommybandemommy Member Posts: 20
    I know this is an old post, but I had the same problem with my sons Graco Turbo Booster. I was able to find a more narrow seat made by Combi. It does not have cup holders, but that hasn't been a problem. The seat is about 1.5" narrower, does not cover the buckle and he is able to buckle himself no problem!
  • cindijocindijo Member Posts: 1
    I am hearing a low to loud rumble or what I call a baratone noise in the rear of my 06 Pilot 2WD. It is so intermittent that I cannot get to Honda to have them hear it. The noise goes away before I get there. Did you happen to find out the cause? I called my dealer but they claim they never heard of this before. Thank you!
  • mar10mar10 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem. I took mine back to the dealer and they disengaged the noise reduction box that is installed behind the radio. The sound is like a sick moose, getting louder as it travels through the vehicle. It happens mostly around 45 - 50 mph, but happens intermittently at all speeds above 45 mph. According to the dealer, this is related to the ECO fuel system. When the ECO kicks in, the noice starts. According to the dealer, the Honda engineers authorized disengaging the box. I will be calling Honda to verify this. Does anyone have a number to contact Honda directly?
  • mseenviromseenviro Member Posts: 64
    I just purchased a new 2006 Honda Pilot 4WD, EX-L, Black/Gray(No NAV or RES) for $26,300 (plus tax and title) from Phil Bachman Honda in Kingsport, TN. When I began looking for a new car a month or so ago, my first thought was Nissan Murano or Mazda CX-7. The Pilot was not even on my radar screen. After talking to a neighbor who had one, I added it to my list. Once I test drove it and discovered the deals people were getting on them, it rose to the top of my list.

My first impression of the Pilot is awesome. It drives like a dream, very quiet, smooth. Perfect size, not Suburban big, but not Pathfinder small. Exactly the right size. It will be used primarily for road trips including to the snowy Midwest, so the 4WD was necessary for me, although I won't be taking it on the Rubicon.

The Pilot is very well thought out and ergonomic. Little things like the storage space for the rear headrests, the cell phone holder, sliding cover for the console, etc. shows that Honda "gets it" when it comes to designing cars. This is my first experience with XM radio and I'm hooked. I thought with my ipod I wouldn't care about XM, but so far I really like the XM.

My other car is a 2002 Ford Explorer XLT $WD and it is a piece of junk compared to the Pilot. It looks so much cheaper on the inside and does not ride nearly as well as the Pilot. I realize they are very different vehicles, but unless someone was going to do a lot of towing or serious offroading, I cannot imagine purchasing an Explorer over a Pilot. The Explorer rides like Jed Clampet's truck compared to the Pilot. (I purchased the Explorer because my job required me to navigate muddy mountain trails to do survey's on oil and gas wells and it served me well in that capacity...took it places I would never take the Pilot)

I'm glad to join the ranks Pilot owners. These forums, especially the pricing forum, were extremely helpful in allowing me to know what other people were paying for their Pilots. I'm convinced having this information saved me well over $1000. Considering the MSRP was $33,595; Invoice was $30,400. With the factory to dealer incentive of $3000, I would have thought $27,500 would have been the best deal one would find. However, seeing where people were getting well under $27,000 allowed me to negotiate an even better deal. A friend of mine who paid $15,000 more for an MDX can't believe how nice the EX-L is, to the point he is considering trading the MDX for one. I realize the MDX is more upscale, but I'm don't believe it's $15,000 more upscale, certainly not for my pocketbook.

If you are shopping for an SUV that "gets it", be sure to drive the Honda Pilot. I believe you will find it the best value on the market today.
    Happy you like it! But don't worry, everybody is trying to sell cars now since the economy is not good right now. But enjoy your Pilot!
  • erik_herik_h Member Posts: 77
    I looked on honda's web site and it has been updated for the 2007 pilot, I didn't notice any differences from the 06. Does anyone know what diffs there are yet ?
  • kalbo607kalbo607 Member Posts: 12
    Just 2 color changes Sage Brush and the Red are gone, new are DArk Cherry, Sage Brush, and Nimbus Gray.
  • luv2chatluv2chat Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a new 2006 Pilot EX-L 4x4. I had the dealership install the tow package. But, I am concerned that on several occasions my vehicle has rolled backwards while in the drive gear. When this has happened my vehicle was on an incline, either on the street or my driveway (which is only a slight incline, about 15 degrees), and the roll back occurs when I take my foot of the brake pedal to push on the gas pedal. Once I give it gas it thrusts forward. I have always owned automatic transmission vehicle, which the Pilot is, and have never experienced this rolling backwards when the vehicle is in the drive gear. However, this is the first SUV I have ever owned/driven, as well as the first 4x4. Should I be concerned, or is this normal foe larger vehicles. I was thinking that maybe the installation of the tow package could have be done improperly. Please let me know what your opinion/experience is. :confuse:
    that's normal for the FWD system on the 4WD/AWD vehicles to drift when on an incline. You will notice it more when you have a load in the rear, or pulling a trailer. My '01 Escape did the same thing, and so is my new '06 Pilot. Also the steeper the incline the more likely you are to drift.
    Hope this helps

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
  • karkarkarkar Member Posts: 6
    I just purchased a 4WD, EX with Navigation. Be careful...lots of techie items to play with when you should be driving. Once you get all that figured out, all voice activated. I must say I love this vehicle and I've only had 3 days. I'm taking back next week to get the Xzilon added. I'm told it will never need waxing. 5 yr guarantee on that part.
    I love this SUV!! Drives like a car. I traded in a 2000 Accord EX.
  • mcdermott2mcdermott2 Member Posts: 68
    What is Xzilon?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    No new car needs waxing - it's all for show. :shades:

Mr_Shiftright, "Teflon Paint Sealants Revisited" #7, 10 Jul 2003 10:33 am
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    What is Xzilon?

Xzilon ia a brand name that includes several products. I suppose karkar is referring to their paint sealant/protectant.

tidester, host
  • mcdermott2mcdermott2 Member Posts: 68
    How much does that cost?
    How much does that cost?

Karkar - what are you paying for the Xzilon?

tidester, host
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 9
    I have this same problem! I just discovered it last night while pulling in NY baseball here in NH. Clear for a moment, hit a bump, and it's gone... Open the door, slam it, and it comes back. What's up with this? :sick: Has anyone figured it out?
  • mattchalmersmattchalmers Member Posts: 159
    Is Roadside Assistance included with the Honda 3 year / 36,000 mile warranty?
    Roadside Assistance is usually on luxury cars. It is not on Honda's. I think the powertrain warranty is 5 year/60,000. But with Honda's and Toyota's, you wont have to use the warranty. :)
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.carspace.com/master1
    Even my POS Pontiac has Roadside Assistance for the length of the Warranty. So I have to get AAA just in case my wife has a flat or runs out of gas?
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    My 2006 Ford Focus has Roadside Assistance for three years. Honda has been very slow to institute this policy. Certainly does not just pertain to luxury models.
    This is kind of disappointing. It is not that I expect the Honda to break down, but I prefer my wife not to change flats on the side of the road. I guess we will have to go back to AAA for that service. :(
    You could always get some runflats....
  • nxs138nxs138 Member Posts: 481
    I had looked into it for my car, but passed on it, mainly because of price, and also because other normal sealants can work just as well.

Some of the Xzilon packages include exterior and interior treatment (i.e. the $500-800 packages). I think you can buy a pint of it for ~ $100 and do it yourself, but no one does that it seems.

IMO, read the fine print very, very well: if you happen to wax or polish the car before the 5 years are up, you void the Xzilon warranty. So if you find that's the treatment is fading, go get it reapplied before the 5 years is up, don't wax the car. Some people get it reapplied every 6 months.

In the end, it's worth it if you absolutely don't want to spend any time taking care of your paint. But a $10 bottle of acrylic sealant at Autozone will give the same results if you reapply every year, if you're willing so spare an hour of your time applying it on the car (and saving yourself $500-800!)
    IMO, read the fine print very, very well

Excellent advice! As for the $500-800, I suppose it depends on what your priorities are. :)

tidester, host
    That is a good point Steve, but I really didn't want to spend $1,000 on new tires when the vehicle is new. :)

I will just have to get back into bed with AAA. Not my preference, but that is probably a better deal.
    I think Odyssey tires are close in size (but maybe not the runflats?), so there's an option. Then the tire pressure monitoring system probably would flake out, lol. :shades:

I've never liked AAA's lobbying efforts but then again, I've always changed my own flats and never had anything but towing coverage and now that's be changed to roadside assistance and it's free with my auto insurance (AIG).
  • gollamgollam Member Posts: 29
    anyone know if honda is planning on a hybrid pilot?..model year 2008?..i'm sure it will sell like hotcakes if they do?...
    Well, my wife and I closed the deal on the new Pilot last night. Just in time for the end of the month. We ended up with a Silver 2006 4WD EX-L with Navigation. It is a beauty of a vehicle. It was delivered yesterday morning, and we were out of the dealer by 8 PM last night. First time I have bought a vehicle that did not even spend the night on the car lot. We are looking forward to many years of happy driving.
    :D :shades:
    Definetly not for this model Pilot. Possibly the next redesign model will have a hybrid some time.
  • gollamgollam Member Posts: 29
    anyone know if honda is planning on building a bigger pilot?..i.e. bigger third row, making access easier...

if so, for 2008 model year?..

thanks
    Honda has not told the public about their plans for the 2008 Pilot - redesign. Only some Honda employees know about the next redesign Pilot that will come out. But I can say that this Pilots third row seat will not change, and they will not be manufacturing a larger Pilot this year. The next Pilot will be smaller, and a bit lower - that I can tell you.
    I can guess and say the next full redesign Pilot will come out sometime around 2007 summer or 2007 fall.
  • jenn158jenn158 Member Posts: 3
    What is the width of the Pilot including the mirrors? I need to know if I can fit it in my garage or not.

thanks
  • 99blaze99blaze Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have some light-duty off road experience in a Pilot? We occassionally drive on a local beach w/ some soft sand. All the Pilot owners I've talked to haven't ventured off of paved roads. Thanks.
  • tsytsy Member Posts: 1,551
    I've driven our '06 4WD Pilot on some beaches here in Washington. Nothing like sand dunes but I pushed my luck in some deeper sand and the Pilot did just fine, I didn't even have to deflate my tires. I've had no problems in snow either so I doubt any light off roading will cause much trouble. Even a 2WD version would probably do ok with light offroading.

tom
  • sas1sas1 Member Posts: 19
    I have the 2wdr version and have taken it into some pretty rough Arizona terrain. A wide stance, decent ground clearence and particular traction control does wonders.
  • glv2glv2 Member Posts: 7
    I am considering buying a 2006 Pilot 2WD LX. Honda says the mpg estimates are 18/24. I have seen several people post reviews saying they are only getting 13 to 14 mpg for a combination of city and highway driving. I am assuming this is for the 4WD model but still concerns me because the 2WD is only supposed to get a mile or two better mpg than the 2WD. Should I really expect to get 18/24?
    Check out the Honda Pilot Owners: MPG-Real World Numbers discussion too.
  • 01mdx01mdx Member Posts: 45
    I have an 06 Pilot from this Spring but I also have an 01 MDX, which basically shares the whole understructure of the Pilot. Last summer I had the MDX on the sand dunes (ORV sticker required) and after deflating the tires it handled pretty darn well. The biggest limitation was the tires and the ground clearance/suspension as I bottomed it out by going a bit too fast. But I never felt that I would get stuck. Assuming you are careful, you should have nothing to worry about in the sand - just avoid the obvious sand traps that will require a jeep or a buggy.
  • baron64baron64 Member Posts: 41
    Does anyone know why Honda has not put automatic door locks on the Pilot? This seems to be a basic safety feature found on most vehicles. Thanks
    It's just because they didn't. Maybe to save $10.
  • allison5allison5 Member Posts: 130
    I have test driven the pilot after finally making a final decision NOT to buy the Odyessy. For some reason the Odyessy seats are just not good for my back, my 2001 odyessy was just as bad. However the pilots seats are a lot better, they sit me up straighter and feel better. Anyway the left rest thing on the driver side on the floor feels kind of funny when you have long legs like me. My friends 2 year old pilot does not have that . Has anyone had any problems with not having enough leg room in this car. I am hoping it will be okay and I will get used to it. THanks
  • markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    The general concensus is that the Honda numbers are optimistic, perhaps moreso than most vehicles. Some are approaching them, but most are doing considerably worse. I'd guess the overall average for the 4WD version is 15 city, 20 highway. Because of cylinder deactivation, the 2WD does slighlty better, just as the numbers show. So figure 16-21 for the 2WD.

Of course, it all depends on your driving. Some are getting into the sub-12 mpg range and others are eeking out 25 or a bit better on the highway. But these are the outlyers.

Personally, my Pilot is the first car I've owned that hasn't matched or exceeded the EPA city number in my overall mix of driving. And it gets two-mpg under itw EPA city rating whereas my previous SUV, with one mpg lower EPA ratings, typically exceeded the city number. My Pilot is basically getting what I'd expect a V8 Tahoe to get. Honda says it is to spec, but I'm disappointed in the fuel mileage of the Pilot.

- Mark