Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Pilot 2006

Comments

• mattchalmersmattchalmers Member Posts: 159
    I agree. Our Pilot has not "broken in" yet, but I think that the EPA ratings are off by at least 10-20% for this model. Either way, it was the vehicle we wanted, so we are dealing with it, but there is a level of disappointment.
  • momto3momto3 Member Posts: 12
    I have to agree with this, as it seems the Pilot is getting near the same gas mileage that my 2003 Explorer did. We love the extra room, nav, and other features that the Pilot has, but I had been hoping to do a bit better when filling the tank. I have less than 1000 miles on it, so maybe it will improve?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    Interesting. Out of all ~20 cars I've owned, our Honda Pilot and now my Accord are the only 2 vehicles that have gotten near the high end of their EPA numbers. We consistently got 20-21 in the Pilot and I am getting 27-28 in the Accord (V6 6-speed).

I've owned many many other different makes and models and they consistently gave me within 10% of the CITY number only (except my Dodge Dakota which was WAY below!).

Just goes to show you, experiences vary greatly.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

it seems the Pilot is getting near the same gas mileage that my 2003 Explorer did.

What kind of explorer are we talking about here? For instance, if I look at an '03 XLS AWD, its got a 4 liter V6 with 210 hp and carrying 4400 lbs of vehicle. The Pilot, in contrast, also carries 4400 lbs and has over 240 hp. To get the same mileage in these 2 vehicles is to be expected, and even favorable towards the Honda given its increased output.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

wow, you are lucky, that is not the norm at all.
    but its not abnormal. I've heard from many many folks on a dedicated pilot message board who have similar and some even better.

I think I am on that board. :-) I have not heard many people getting over 20 on their 2006. I am not sure of that though. I guess mine is still breaking in.
  • tsytsy Member Posts: 1,551
    We just took a long road trip- mostly highway- I got 21mph with a Yakima rack on top.

City wise we only get 13-14, but we live where there are a lot of hills and my wife has a lead foot!

tom
    i don't know about the '06. I assumed it shouldn't be a whole lot different than the '03-'05.

• allison5allison5 Member Posts: 130
    Just when i am getting ready to go to the Honda dealers and see what kind of deal I can get on a 06 or maybe an 07 I have another snag to worry about. A friend of a friend told me that the Pilot is not any bigger than the Ford Explorer and 3 kids would be too squished in a pilot. THey are 12, 10 and 6, only the 6 year old in a booster. So now I am back to thinking do I get the Odyessy even though it is not as comfy as the pilot. But maybe it will just do. Can anyone give some advice on whether they would do the pilot with 3 kids, and if not what car would you do? The Sienna is OUT and can't afford the big SUV's. We also have a labrador dog but she only goes on a handful of trips with us. THanks
    according to the specs, the Pilot's 2nd row is a bit wider than the Explorer, but not by much (2 inches, i believe).

I suggest going to the dealer with all the kids and trying it out.

• markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    "Big enough" is so subjective, I don't think we can help - you need to go try them out.

The Pilot and Explorer are roughly equivalent in size.

I'm not sure why you're assessing that the Pilot is more comfortable than the Odyssey. In general, the Odyssey is the more comfortable people hauler, rides better, is quieter, and gets better gas mileage. The Pilot provides a bit of SUV utility for towing, off-road, and inclement weather driving. If you don't need the SUV capabilities of the Pilot and you're most interested in hauling your family around, the Odyssey will do a better job.

- Mark
  • salenetsalenet Member Posts: 64
    They might be taking the cover off the redesigned 2008 Pilot at the LA Auto Show this December. They will probably call it the Pilot concept, much like Acura did with the 2007 MDX when it previewed many months before it's release.
  • fujisfujis Member Posts: 27
    Well, my 06 Pilot-2WD got 20 mile/gal in mix city/highway drive since July when I bought it. I live in Houston, A/C is always on. There's 4000 miles on it.

My 1994 Explorer got 15-16 mile/gal, :( not comparable to Pilot.

I'm pretty happy with the Pilot. :)
    your experience is more what I would expect in real-world results, as opposed to the other poster who is getting the same in the 2 vehicles.

Sometimes there is just no predicting what you will get.

Take, for instance, my wife's last 2 vehicles. When she would drive the PIlot, she'd get 20-21 compared to me driving it around town and getting about 17. In her Pacifica, I get 19 while she gets 16-17. One would think that she'd get better mileage than me in any vehicle. Turns out that's just not true. So you just never know.

• vin14vin14 Member Posts: 2
    I bought my first Pilot last month (06 EX-L w/DVD). I have a little over 2K on it - took a 3+ hour trip, split the driving, cruised at 65-75, came in at 21.

As for comfort for kids, This was the first long trip with my 17 year old and 12 year old -
    after three years of travelling in an 04 Quest.

Bottom line, and no surprise here, if you want passenger comfort and room, a minivan is the way to go. The Quest was a foot longer and we were always able to pile up the back and still have the three rows accessible, with each kid having their own row. I'm 5'11" and was able to stretch my leg out completely in the middle row. The Pilot is reasonably comfortable in the middle row, the third row is for emergency use only- the seat is very low and there is no room.

As a driver, I like the pilot, but do find the front leg room to be lacking, maybe it's that strangely place foot rest, but it is tolerable. I did the return trip of 3.5 hours and it was tolerable. (I drove nearly 10 hours in the Quest with little discomfort.)

But it handles nicely, I like the ground clearance and AWD, the stereo has excellent sound, and as an end-of-year closeout, the price could not be beat in it's class.

The video screen dims when you turn the lights on, though, at least it did for the connected xbox.
  • parsonadamsapparsonadamsap Member Posts: 4
    We own a 2005 Odyssey and a 2006 Pilot and of the two, we all prefer the family functionality of the Odyssey. Our kids are 2 and 3 years old. There is (far) more leg room in the second row, and grandparents or friends can more easily fit in the third row than in the Pilot's. The ride in the Odyssey is also better. Plus, there is an almost unlimited amount of storage capacity in the Odyssey-even with the third row of seats in use. Plus, it is likely to be less expensive to purchase.

We plan to use the 4WD Pilot for the winter trips skiing locally and around Tahoe. Because Calfornia enforces chain control on snowy roads, I hope to avoid what happened last year on one trip to Tahoe--driving the Odyssey the last 40 miles or so on snowchain cables. Because I used to own a 14-year-old 4Runner, last year driving to the local ski area I avoided chains probably 12 of the 15 times. Hopefully the the 4WD "lite" of the Pilot will get me over icy roads and the hub deep, spring mud freshets of the access road.

For me and for the money, the Odyssey is a much more practical family vehicle. Got to love those electric doors, too!
  • allison5allison5 Member Posts: 130
    If it were you choosing between the pilot and odyessy with 3 kids sounds like you would choose the Odyessy. After having a van and now a SUV I truly do miss those sliding doors and the space. However here is my dilemma, we live in California as well and we drive up to Lake Tahoe on those snowy roads at least a half a dozen times in winter. Really looking forward to the first good snowfall!!!! Anyway after owning an old odyessy and having to deal with chains that year I was really liking it the last few years, I was able to completly escape the chains. So I just do not know what to do. I have checked out Sienna AWD, too expensive and not comfy for me. SO I am not sure whether to get minivan and not worry about snow conditions or not worry about the room for 3 kids and dog. Any ideas??!!!
  • gowmtribegowmtribe Member Posts: 5
    I have had my '06 Pilot for a month now. Last night I left work and turned on my radio to discover no sound. XM, AM/FM, CD all with no sound. I kept pushing buttons DVD/AUX and finally heard a pop and sound came back. I have heard theories about cold weather -- it was midnight and the coldest night since I have had my pilot -- about 55 degress. Has anyone figured out what is happening with the radio -- it has only happened once and has not happened since. Thanx.
    No suggestions about why or whether the problem is likely to re-occur, but the same thing has been reported bo other 06 Pilot owners. You could probably get the dealer to replace the radio if you complain. I'd probably wait and see if it happened again before doing anything - perhaps it was a one-time glitch and it's always good if you can avoid having someone tear into your dash at the dealership.

- Mark
  • gowmtribegowmtribe Member Posts: 5
    I agree totally. I decided to wait -- it has not happened since. Last thing I want is to rip into the dash board. Thanks for your input.
  • master1master1 Member Posts: 340
    Enjoy your Honda's!
  • ksayersksayers Member Posts: 59
    Has anyone tried to cut down the road noise by
    installing Dynamat on the front driver and
    passenger floors ? If so, did it work ? How
    much was it ? Any issues installing ?

And... are there alternatives to Dynamat that
    work ?

Thanks !
  • gunga64gunga64 Member Posts: 271
    I just saw a picture of the new MDX and it's ugly!!!! It looks exactly like the CRV 2007 that is also very disappointing. What is going on over at Honda? WHo are they getting to design these duds???? Shame I really want to break out of my Toyota mold but if this is what Honda is going to offer, I may have to look elsewhere.
  • sasukesasuke Member Posts: 77
    I'm buying an SUV this month, and I don't have children or anything, but plan on using my next SUV to take roadtrips with friends...I was wondering what you guys though of the middle row as far as comfort.

I wish you can slide the middle row back more to make additional leg room.
    I have found the middle seat to be comfortable and have plenty of leg room. That being said, I have only ridden back there for short trips around town. The only long trips I have taken, I have been in the front seat.
    oo..It's really gonna be down to the Pilot and the Outlook, because I hear it's coming out very soon.
  • gollamgollam Member Posts: 29
    anyone have inside news if the pilot will have a complete redesign soon?..
    Most think the Pilot will have a re-design for the 2008 MY, probably released in fall 2007. The new MDX is getting a year head start, then it will trickle over to the Pilot.

- Mark
    OK, this is bugging the hell out of me..I can't find any pics of the Pilot with the saddle interior...I'm dying to see what it looks like..anyone know a website that has it?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Please go to the group top level and create a discussion that fits your comments/questions or post in an existing discussion.

Honda Pilot
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Enjoy!

tidester, host
  • 02xls02xls Member Posts: 40
    Can anyone tell me why on a 4x4 there are two tail pipes coming out of the muffler and on the 4x2 there is only a single pipe?
    No real reason, other than to differentiate I think.
  • odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    I believe it is to allow the engine to breath easier by allowing the exhaust to flow more rapidly out of the system because of the added pressure of the 4wd system on the engine.

But this is only my best guess.

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
  • jdaniels120jdaniels120 Member Posts: 1
    Were and how is the A/C and Heat controlled for second seats. Where is location of vents? I saw a post that A/C is comfortable for cooling legs .. what about the heat?

Thanks..
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    After reading some of these posts, the Ford Freestyle may be an option for some folks here. It's as long as an Odyssey, but not as wide. The 3rd row can hold adults, and there's good cargo space behind the 3rd row. It has the highest safety ratings. Consumer Reports increased its rating to "Recommended." MPG is in the mid-20s. It has ceiling A/C vents for the back, and a rear floor vents for the heat...even for the 3rd row. It's quiet and comfortable. You can get one in the mid-$20s because it's sort of an unknown CUV. Anyway...an option.
  • goateegoatee Member Posts: 51
    I have an 06 Pilot ex-l with the tire pressure monitoring system. The system seems to be set to warn of low pressure when it senses 26psi or less. I have factory Goodyear Affinity tires on the vehicle, never wrecked, driven carefully. Seems like every 3 weeks or so the TPS light goes off one at a time eventually having to fill every tire back to factory spec 32psi. Any suggestions or solutions??
    Check out the Problem and Solutions thread, there has been some discussions about the tires over there. I have all my tire work done by Goodyear itself, and they had checked the bead on the tires, and adjusted the pressures also. My advise is let Goodyear do the tires, since they know them better than a Car Dealer.

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    http://www.carspace.com/videos/play!id=.59cc5481 - don't forget to vote and comment on it!
    I was just coming over here to do that, so thank you Sylvia.

Link to my video.

http://www.carspace.com/videos/play!id=.59cc5481

Again, thank you to everyone who views it. I tried to do 'The Beast' some justice in the video. I also wish the sound would have come through with my daughter at the end, she say's "Give 5 stars, please." She was so proud of herself and loves going off-road with daddy.

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
  • alngranniealngrannie Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2006 Honda Pilot (2WD) in Dec 2005. After three months of driving, a loud rumble noise was heard from engine especially when A/C is on. It is so intermittent that I may not be able to show it to dealer when I get there. Recently, it was getting worse. It happens when the car has been on the road for at least half an hour and when the car is idle waiting for on the light no matter A/C is off or on. When it's idle, if I open the driver side door, the noise is gone, but it comes back immediately when I close the door. When I am driving pushing gas pad, the noise is gone. If I release gas pad, it will come back. The noise is very uncomfortable and you feel like you are sitting in a low roaring mechanical room. I saw many other posted complaints but their case found different from mine, such as it happens when the car is driving around 75 mph. I need to take it back to dealer. But I am not sure if this is a problem without solution.
    I'm going to be putting up a new version of the Pilot Video. I will post a link once it's up and running.

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
    http://www.carspace.com/videos/play!id=.59cd8305

The new version is up. See how you like this one.

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
  • buzmanbuzman Member Posts: 1
    Reply to alngrannie,

Your problem sounds VERY similar to mine. Here is how it goes for my 2006 2WD Pilot. I can be driving between 45-70 mph and as I reach my cruising speed I ever so slightly back off the gas pedal to hold my speed. Suddenly a very low frequency noise, similar to a truck running on knobby tires begins to resonate in the car. I can ever so slightly speed up or slow down and the noise disappears. I have now noticed my problem only occurs when I have some weight in the back of the car. Once it happened with 2 in the front seat and one person about 200 pounds in the right side second row seat. This weekend it happened with 4 adults and about 150 pounds of cargo. Honda Pilot has under 4000 miles. V6 engine with the economy 3 cyl shut off engine.
  • justaveragejoejustaveragejoe Member Posts: 268
    Please post this in the problems and solutions discussion. This sounds very interesting. I haven't heard anything like this in the 2WD vehicles.
  • lewennlewenn Member Posts: 1
    Sounds like what happened (long ago) with my dad's car (not a Honda). At certain highway speeds, we'd hear a humming noise. Slow down, it's gone, back up to speed, it's back. Turns out it was the luggage rack. He had an add-on luggage rack, and the air flowing through the space at certain speeds created the noise. Annoying, but not a real problem.
  • trdprerunnerdctrdprerunnerdc Member Posts: 52
    I just read this morning, my slightly outdated design suv is actually classified as a "cross over vehicle".

YaY!
  • spyderredspyderred Member Posts: 138
    Need some help. 2005 Pilot EXL, the center row seat, on the passenger side (single seat) won't slide forward as you move the latch on the side of the seat, so that someone can get to the 3rd row seats. Is there a lock somewhere that needs to be undone. Tried moving the seat forward by pulling up on the lever under the seat cushion, but it won't move either. The only way to get into the third row is by folding the seat flat down and climbing over it. Anyone have any ideas before I take it back to the dealer?

TIA,

Spyder.
  • rekhrekh Member Posts: 47
    I have about 6000 miles on my Pilot and I am hearing a brief noise (about 1-2 seconds) from the engine when I start the vehicle first time in the day(every day) and It won't happen again during the day . The noise is like If you are "Over starting" the vehicle/ or rubbing two metal parts on each other. Can it be from starter? or does it come from another part of the engine? Is it related to cold weather? any idea? Can anybody help, please?