Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Pilot 2006

Comments

• laureljlaurelj Member Posts: 2
    Ok so maybe I paid a little too much? 06 Pilot EX-Navi with tow package out the door, dest charge, tax license, $39.8k. from Livermore California. Did I pay too much? what do you think?
    picking it up tonight. Steel blue metallic, real pretty color. forgot to say this was a 4WD

Base MSRP was $35.3k
  • bjack1bjack1 Member Posts: 1
    I have never used Costco. Do you know if the Costco markup the same everywhere? I'm in Indiana. Thanks. Jack
  • denadadenada Member Posts: 18
    Are you saying @29.8k
  • hkeinerhkeiner Member Posts: 11
    Has anyone confirmed that the factory audio system on the 2006 Honda Pilot EXL can play MP3 cds (i.e., actually played a burned CD-R containing mp3 files) ? The owners manual does not mention this capability.
  • laureljlaurelj Member Posts: 2
    No, denada, $39.8 K Just signed the paperwork tonight will pickit up this Friday
  • onlysurferonlysurfer Member Posts: 96
    congratulations....enjoy the car.
    knowing if you paid too much or too little shouldn't make a difference now...
  • jamiejjamiej Member Posts: 4
    I agree with the earlier message. Enjoy the car. I had two dealers going at it over my business, plus the threat of a Volvo XC90 for $33,900.00, working in my favor. I didn't opt for the tow package now, but did go with 4WD to avoid strapping the chains on in the cold.
  • jlee6jlee6 Member Posts: 13
    2WD RES has it all!
    I'm very happy to save gas by this 2WD VCM. "ECO" light comes on automatically to save gas. I do not need 4WD in So Cal. I may go up to mountains about twice a year

The great 2006 improvements are
    1. Headrest
    2. Sidecurtain Airbags for the 3rd row
    3. Interior color for the white
    4. Fog Lights
    5. Grill Design
    6. Rear and head Lights
    7. 9 inches DVD
    and I can go on...it's definately worth waiting to buy 2006.
    If you research and negociate, then you can get a great deal even now.
    I paid $31500 plus TTL
    Good Luck you all.
  • amosbamosb Member Posts: 12
    Hi Laurelj,

I think you paid too much. Little difference in the long run because from all the posts I'm reading your going to love the car / suv. Don't dwell too much on the price paid. Out the door, with tax title and destination charge should be around $35,600 +/- ... I know, everyone will tell you that they bought it for a lower price but don't forget that sales tax changes from state to state. I'm from Long Island, New York and our sales tax is 8.65%. I am about to close on my pilot this week and my price for the car was $32,860 plus the other things I mentioned above T,T,D. This price is for the '06 with Navi. Oh, by the way, good choice on the color -- I opted for the same.

Enjoy,

Amos
  • rocklincalifrocklincalif Member Posts: 1
    congrats on your purchase!
    Can you clarify what you paid for the Pilot?
    You paid $ 700 over $31,178.00 invoice and did you pay destination charges and
    tax and license?
    I test drove the Pilot today at the same dealership and the salesman started the
    bidding at $40k!!! (for ex-l with nav)

Can you tell me what you paid "out the door"?

Also, did you deal through the internet sales or with the salesman directly?

Thanks!
  • portland_orportland_or Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2006 Pilot EX-Leather, 4W Drive yesterday in Portland, OR

It was a very good experience. I went thro Costco

I paid $ 30741

The invoice on it was = 29730
    Destination = 550
    Registration transfer = 61
    So what i paid was 400 $ over invoice.
    No Sales tax in Oregon

Every other Honda dealer was asking for 1000 to 2000 dollars more, the worst being Beaverton Honda.
  • jbeenyjbeeny Member Posts: 3
    I will be picking up the pilot on Saturday. I live in NY but am travelling to New Jersey as the few dealers in NY either did not have the 06 Pilot in stock or they quoted very very high.
    I went thru Carsdirect.com. They found the car for me. My out the door price was $ 34,944.

-JB :)
  • greglbsgreglbs Member Posts: 6
    How did you go through Costco?

I'm a member and have been to their website but can't find the link or how to start. I'm sure I'm missing something simple but...

Thanks
  • turquoise_e1turquoise_e1 Member Posts: 18
    Can you share how much you paid and name of dealer in SoCal?
  • amosbamosb Member Posts: 12
    Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to tell you all that if I want the Steel Blue Metallic is going to take me a little longer to get my hands on. Got he deal, Got the money, Got the driveway .... I just don't got my Pilot Wahhhhh!!!!! :cry:

Of course I could solve my frustration by just getting it in Sage Bush but .... well... I'm waiting for my color. :shades:

Peace to you all.

Amos
    $31,878.00 ($700.00 over invoice), $35,4something out-the-door including tax, license, & doc. fee. In addition I paid $249.00 for the cargo max, fabric floor mats, and mud gaurds. Bit of advice, forget paying the dealership for the mats and other accessories. I found a site that has all the OEM stuff at much lower prices. honda.autowebaccessories.com.
  • 2moreyears2moreyears Member Posts: 14
    jamiej, where did you get a quote for $33,900 for an XC90. In new england, you cant find one for under $39,000. So yea, if you'd let me know, that would be great, because I am saddened at the facelift/tail lift of the 2006 Pilot :cry: . Yea, maybe the taillights I could get used to and the interior has been tastefully updated, but it looks like Honda just gave up on the front. In a way,and I hate to use this analogy, but the Honda Pilot and Volvo XC90 seem to have switched paths. The Volvo is getting to be more nicer and more curvy where as everything forwards of the 2006 Pilot's A pillar (minus the wheels) has become square, boxy and Volvoish. Go to their website and Honda will tell you that the new design is more dramatic, but is it just me, or is this redesign pushing buyers away?
  • parkerobedparkerobed Member Posts: 2
    I own a 05 Pilot EX-L Navi, and I think the 06 has some much needed improvements like the adjustable front headrests, better leather and bolstering, XM radio & updated larger Navigation, and I think the new design look better. I do wish they would add more room to the rear of the vehicle and put the Pilot on a weight loss program.
  • mccautohntrmccautohntr Member Posts: 4
    This board has been very useful and I thank all that have contributed.

I just purchased a 2006 Pilot EX L with RES and Running Boards, Billet Silver

After sending Emails to 20 dealers within New England I went with the lowest bidder. Price was 32,245, that includes everything (including destination charges) but excludes Tax and title. I was able to get 3 dealers to promise this same price. I did have others that bid anywhere from 600 to 3000 higher. Quite a range.

Good luck to all that are searching, it appears that there are some dealers that are willing to deal. Too many 2005s sold trying to clear the lot so 2006 are sitting on the lot? Maybe. But some seemed very willing to deal, especially over the internet.

Oh, I also was able to get Honda Financing at 5.34 for 60 months.
    2moreyears,

Unfortunately I never had such a quote, or I may be driving the XC90. Just a leveraging tactic. Sorry if I may have gotten any hopes up out there... By the way, we love the 06 Pilot and are thankful not to have to be buying premium grade gas.
  • jam8jam8 Member Posts: 22
    I received a quote on the same vehicle in Orlando for $31,600, although they have not sent me the Members Price Sheet to confirm the quote. I am surprised the difference is around $700 :mad: Does the dealer you purchased from charge a doc fee, and if so, did you have to pay it?
  • jcingsjcings Member Posts: 8
    Just curious...what accessories, if any did you purchase? Also, what dealer did you end up going with? :confuse:
  • gcooleygcooley Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone noticed wether the Interior plastic trim was upgraded, in the past I noticed it easily scratched and marred. This actually stopped me from considering the Pilot several years back. Honda CRV is the same as was last Gen. of Accord which I own and first noticed it. My 88 Integra trim looks better than my 2001 Accord, guess it saves them money
  • htuttlehtuttle Member Posts: 3
    I'm closing on purchasing a 2006 Pilot for a decent price from an internet dealer who doesn't have it in stock.
    One hangup - I'm hesitant to sign anything or leave a deposit as the salesman wouldn't guarantee the maximum mileage -(he also claimed that Honda considered a vehicle with up to 2800 miles on it still a "new vehicle"). He added if I didn't want excessive mileage on it, I would probably have to pay if it was driven in on a truck. I would think 250 - 300 or so miles should be maximum mileage and anything else I would consider a demo or a used car. I'm curious what the average customer's expectation for a new auto is? I may have to insist on getting "maximum mileage" in the contract unless I'm being unrealistic.
    Any ideas what a good maximum mileage to settle for is...or a better way to approach this?
    Thanks
  • markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    hutttle, what's going to happen is that after you close the deal and place a deposit, the dealer is going to cast around to find you a car that meets your spec. It could be smething coming directly to the dealer with nearly zero miles, or it could be one that they'll have to horsetrade from another dealer. It sounds like you've pressed them into a bare-bones deal so they want maximum flexibility, including accepting a car that has seen considerable demo miles which are always more difficult cars to trade between dealers.

I don't think there is any law that precisely says how many miles are acceptable to sell a car new - it is more of a dealer policy thing. If the car hasn't been titled, then it theoretically is "new", regardless of mileage. 2800 miles is certainly very excessive - a car with this many miles is almost always sold at a fairly deep discount as a demo model and it would be unacceptable to me for a dealer to fill an order for a zero-mile new car with such a car. Even 250-300 miles is quite a few and deserves some discount from a zero-mile car. Keep in mind that these miles are likely to be "hard miles" - many drivers taking the car out and "seeing what she'll do."

Personally, I would hold out for a zero mile car. Of course, the car won't actually have zero miles since it will have been driven between transporters and lots during delivery, but typically these miles are 2-10 or so, plus whatever miles are put on by the dealership as part of the prep process. Alternatively, you could negotiate for a car on the lot which may have some demo miles on it, but at least you can drive it and make your own assessment of how it runs and how many miles it has. I wouldn't go into a blank check sort of agreement where you put a deposit on a car you haven't seen or driven which might have a fairly large number of miles on it. This is too much risk.

So I'd let the dealer find you a specific car (either on the lot, incoming, or on another lot) and then negotiate on this specific car. Otherwise, I'd insist on a low mileage limit (e.g., 20 miles) or completely refundability of the deposit for any reason.

Are you ordering something unusual or on a tight time frame schedule? Most dealers have a lot of cars on the lot or incoming, so I'm surprised this can't be handled simply by waiting a few weeks for a car that meets your spec to arrive.

- Mark
  • mccautohntrmccautohntr Member Posts: 4
    In response to JCings

The only acecessories I got were the running boards, which were included in the Price of 32,245 for the 2006 EXL w/RES, and then I added the All Weather floor mats, on top of that.

I purchased from Hoffman Honda-West Simsbury- Dealt online to get the price on the Pilot, then we worked my trade numbers at the dealership. Probably spent 15 minutes online with them over a week, 2+ hours at the dealership on Saturday and went back that night an drove home the new Pilot. Overall a very good experience.
  • jcingsjcings Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for the info-- good luck with the new car! Sounds like you got a great deal!
  • matchstickmatchstick Member Posts: 1
    Well, 2800 is just too much for a new truck. Make sure that this is not a Demo truck. If it is, you would be able to get a much lower price than what they quote. Otherwise, anything over 100 miles is too much. The perfect mileage for a new truck would be about 4- 6 miles, taking into account, driving it from the production line to the lot, then to the transporter and then from the transporter to the dealer's lot. I got my 2005 Pilot with 5.4 miles on it. Hope this helps in making your decisions.
  • htuttlehtuttle Member Posts: 3
    Thanks markjenn and matchstick for the advice - I agree with your points. It's been a long time since I've purchased new. I've come to my senses and 250-300 miles does seem pretty excessive without a substantial price reduction. I'm looking for a 2006 AWD EX-L NAV with minimal, if any, add-ons and I'm not too picky about color. I would think they'd be plentiful. I'm in no huge hurry, so I think I will insist on test driving the SUV and/or waiting for more of them to arrive on the lots.
    Regards,
    HTuttle
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Sorry, we don't allow information about specific salespeople to be posted on the boards - see the "rules of the road." Thanks!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• lawgirl5lawgirl5 Member Posts: 6
    I just purchased my Pilot on the 7th and am loving it. However, I was talked into buying the after market alarm option since it will be sitting at a park n ride all day 14 hours, 5 days a week. The car already has a "security system" per the window sticker. I was told that the security system will alarm only if the door is opened without the key. So if the window is broken it won't go off unless the door is then opened. The alarm system will also add a kill switch. I was told it will alarm if the window is broken and if there is any jolting of the car--so if someone were casing it looking in the windows and they bump it the alarm should sound. Hmmm...does this really make sense to anyone?? Also, the alarm will use a separate horn vs the security system which uses the regular car horn. Do I really need both or was I tricked? He said he'd refund the charge but I don't know. I keep thinking--is more security really a bad thing?! HELP!!! :sick: (I also added the day/night rearview mirror and rear splash guards--not that they are related to the alarm...)
  • tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    Took Delivery of an AWD EX-L w/ NAV, and just want to inform anyone who's questioning the choice of rear-entertainment vs. NAV. Firstly, there are some amazing aftermarket rear-entertainment systems that can be fitted in many ways, including the usual swing down type or even the lcd screens in the headrests, and these can be purchased equal to or better than the Honda rear-entertainment system. But, it would be impossible to fit an aftermarket navigation system into the vehicle like Honda's amazing navigation system with it's integrated voice-recognition system that automatically responds to your voice commands and controls the entire climate control, the entire audio system including the built-in satellite radio, rear-view camera, as well as the new wide-screen navigation system itself. It is an amazing voice controlled system and I want to recommend it to everyone out there that is not sure whether or not to get it. It's easy to use, and works like a charm. Remember, you can always add a cool rear-entertainment later, but you can't add the integrated navigation, so if you're trying to choose between the two . . . get the factory nav!!!!! Cool is the word for it!
  • opus4opus4 Member Posts: 11
    I don't know if it's different, but my new 2006 center console does mar easily. I haven't tried to "buff" it out yet. I'm surprised that Honda doesn't correct this. I work in the automotive market as a raw material supplier, and there are a lot of mar resistant materials out there that are not expensive.

BTW, I have the 2WD EXL and on my first tank I got 18mpg in mixed driving.
    Overall, don't you think the interior is much better on the '06? I think the leather is particularly good. BTW, my first tank was mixed driving in an AWD and it got 18.7 mpg. If it stays like that, I'm happy! If you figure out how to buff out your console, share it with the rest of us.
  • sas1sas1 Member Posts: 19
    Iam about to buy my first new car since I moved to the US. I still trying to figure out what invoice price exactly is - In Scandinavia where Iam from you just pay the sticker price - end of story, here there seems to be so much wheeling and dealing going on. However this is the qoute I got from a Dealer in Tucson AZ.

Honda Pilot 2wd LX

25,594 (some special internet price)
    1.945.14 saletax (7.6)
    299.00 Doc fee
    5.00 waste tire disposal fee
    471.27 License plate fee

28.314.41 out the door

Does this seem reasonable ? Appreciate all inputs.

Have you noticed by the way how much better the cheapo LX model looks compared to the 05 design where it looked real real cheapo Thanks Tom
  • mldj98mldj98 Member Posts: 378
    IMO you were somewhat tricked....the security system that comes with your Pilot is more than adequate for today's safety concerns....first off your key has a chip in it which controls starting the engine...once you place the key in the ignition and system doesn't verify the key the motor will not start.....the other thing I think about is how much of a problem is there with people stealing Pilots....my guess....very low.....and most of the time when thiefs break windows usually it is a smash, grab, run type of theft....breaking car windows now days is allot harder than it use to be because glass is made safer....so unless you have something inside your car in plain view that someone might want then I would not worry to much about someone bumping into or breaking out your glass....
    How many times have you heard those after market alarms going off? All of the time right? You might take a glance over in the direction of the noise but for me it is kind of like crying wolf....after hearing it so many times you tend to ignore it....Honda makes a fairly good factory alarm that come with their vehicles and I think most after market alarms are for the older cars that did not have them on them when the vehicles were bought or if you bought an entry level model that did not come with one then you could add one...bottom line is this....if someone really wants to get in your car then nothing will stop them...especially if they do it all the time... they tend to be pros at it...remember time is a key issue....they don't break into cars and sit around on the inside of them.....they take what they want and leave in a big hurry...IMO IF they will return your money then I would try that route....but for some reason I don't think that will happen....of course this is just my opinion....enjoy your new Pilot!
  • lawgirl5lawgirl5 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks! I'm still on the fence. I DO happen to live in Stockton, CA...the number two city for vehicle theft. Right up the freeway from the number one city...Modesto. Your thoughts are well appreciated and I will ponder them until I get to the dealer on Friday! :confuse:
  • gcooleygcooley Member Posts: 5
    Referance the easily scratched Honda interiors. I was hopeing they would have corrected this obvious flaw in their otherwise well thought out designs, am sure they have to be aware of the inferior properties of their plastic panel trim. This has to be a deliberate decision, the bottom line must be driving this continuation. I have had no luck with removeing the affects of the easily marred surfaces in my 2001 Accord.
  • hondaguy12hondaguy12 Member Posts: 10
    Is there any one bought the '06 Pilot w/NAV and running board with invoice price of $32,257 including the $550 destination charge in Washington DC metro area?
    I went to a local dealer after failing to get any dealers' response through internet (cars.com, edmond.com, costco.com, etc). The dealer would not deal with me since they only have 2 in the lot and none of them have NAV. They told me to come back early next month.
    I like the new Pilot and does not want to wait.
    Any advice??? :P
    Thanks
    Hondaguy
    Tom,

I dont know much about other prices in the Tucson area, but based on what we pay in Connecticut, that car is a steal! That car retails at $26,995 and roughly has an invoice of $24,200 or so. Invoice is basically what the Honda dealer pays the factory for the car. Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price (or MSRP) is the price Honda suggests the dealer sell the price at. MSRP mines Invoice equals dealer profit. So welcome to the U.S., and I suggest you but that Pilot. $25,594 is a pretty sweet deal without having to negotiate.

2moreyears
  • tinatinatinatina Member Posts: 388
    He is paying $1,300 above dealer's invoice which is just way too much, if those figures are correct. I would not pay more than $500 above the dealer's invoice at this point on a 2006. The quotes on 2006 EX 4*4 that I received were initially $1,000 above invoice, then $500 above invoice, and finally $300 above invoice or about $28,5XX plus tax, license, and documentation fee. I still balked at this price knowing that the invoice is around $28.2k and there is a holdback of about $900. This is in N. CA, so your and sas1's markets may be different. The vehicle looks impressive and I do like the changes that were made. Sas1 - can you just wait a bit - perhaps another month or so? However, if you need a vehicle right away, then its your call.
  • jensadjensad Member Posts: 388
    The problem hondaguy may be that the 06 four w/d are, according to the dealer I purchased it from last night) are just now coming to the dealers. There are many 2 w/d however, 4 w/d he said are now getting into the Bay Area where i live.

My Pilot is what you wanted w/o running boards. Pilot ex-l w/ nav., $ 32,250 + Ca tax et al.

The dealer said they made money on the dealer holdback. I THINK they have about 13-14 % to deal with. Sticker price on mine was $ 35800 before discounting.

Good luck to all

jensad
  • tinatinatinatina Member Posts: 388
    This sounds like a great price. Yours is the 4*4, right? Did it include the destination charge?
    You are right about the 4X4s. I heard the same thing from several dealers. They have a ton of 2wds, but no 4wds. According to one dealer, he said that the 2wds were built first. I am leaning for a 4*4 EX or EX-L w/o navigation.
  • bobob20032000bobob20032000 Member Posts: 69
    I would rather buy the 2005 Pilot. I like the lights much better on the 05 than on the 06. The 06's front and rear lights are not as attractive as the 05's.
    jensad,

You are right that the dealers only have 2wd pilot. The SUV I was quoting was 06 Pilot 4x4 with NAV, running board and destination charge. I told the local dealer sale manager that I want to pay at invoice price of $32,245. He did not reject my offer and suggest that his saleman will contact me later when the SUV I want arrives. I think the best time to get the good price is mid-December when every one is busy for the Holiday and feel broke and stress to buy a SUV. I hope I will not be broken by then.
    Thanks
    Hondaguy :P
    bobob,
    The major differences between 06 and 05 are:
    1. Side curtain airbag in the rear seats (good for family with kids)
    2. Navigation with voice activation and rear camera

There are other minor cosmetic changes (headrest, fog light, dash oard background light, etc.) but by looking at the front light and grills between the 2 SUV at the dealer lot last Monday, I donot think it really change at all. However, you save some serious money to pick 05 over 06 because the dealers want to move them badly.

Enjoy.
    Hondaguy
  • sas1sas1 Member Posts: 19
    Thanks tinatina & 2moreyears for your input. I believe invoice in my area is 24.843 for the 2wdr lx - which makes me 750 over invoice. I'll get some more quotes though from the Phoenix area 100 miles away and see what happens.

A point to Hondaguy:

Your right you can save a bundle on going 05 vs. 06. But on the same token your resale value takes a hit as you are going to be with the "Old" model design.

General:
    I just realized the the 2wdr weighs about 250 lbs less than the awd - would that make it quicker :P or is is the difference to small ?.

Cheers Tom
    I second that. There is a HUGE cosmetic difference between the 05 and 06:

-Headlights are two squarish and give me the chills
    -Taillight are exactly the same except altezza style, I think they make the Pilot look cheep
    -Honda has given the hood the same bulge that the BMW 7-Series trunk is infamous for

Unfortunately, I'm not in the market to lease a Pilot until Late 06/Early 07, so all the 05s will be gone and I may have to resort to Acura, Volvo or Toyota :cry:
    My vote goes for the '06. The '05 front grill looks plain and a bit weak and the '06 just simply looks more powerful and distinctive. The rear lights don't make a giant difference either way, but the front end is definately an improvement, and the built-in fog lights are also an improvement. The color-keyed door handles are definately nicer now. The interior on the '06 is so much better with the new leather and the improved navigation with amazing voice-controlled climate control, audio, and navigation. Full side curtain airbags are a must for the loved ones that sit in the rear. How could anyone pass them up? All in all the '06 is very cool, but needs one thing...automatic headlights at night. There's little reason to get an '05, except for price issues, and most of the savings on the '05 will be lost on its resale anyway. So, get the '06 and all the cool improvements.