Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Pilot 2006

Comments

• gearjammer62gearjammer62 Member Posts: 108
    I like the '06 better, too. Looking at them side-by-side at the dealer, the '06 just looks a little fresher - the Pilot has always gotten a lot of reviews that rave about the driving, handling, etc., but they generally always say it looks bland. The new standard fog lights add a sportier look to the front, as do the new BMW-like fender-mounted side marker lights. .

. If you like leather, the '06 leather is far superior to the previous models - which had numerous problems with premature sagging - and the seat bottoms are a bit longer for '06, making for a more comfortable sitting position. At any rate, I don't let little things light the color of taillights detract from larger issues such as improved safety. Honda focused on improvements beyond the cosmetic. If you're just into superficial looks, this isn't the best looking SUV. But it is one of the best SUV's overall, and improved in many subtle ways for '06 - beyond just what you can see..
  • jtighejtighe Member Posts: 1
    Dealers are loaded with pilots. 2005 are going for at least 2000 below invoice. I have had 2 quotes this week for a 2006 pilot EXL RES 4WD at 100 over invoice and 180 over invoice.. Prices are falling It is a buyers market..They may go lower within 1 month..
  • bogiejimbogiejim Member Posts: 51
    Thanks for that info. jtighe. I am curious, in what part of the country are you located? I have been shopping in the MA-So. NH area. So far the best quote I have had, on the internet is $29,500, plus $180. for dealer prep costs for an '06 AWD EXL. I will be ready to buy in about three weeks.
  • tinatinatinatina Member Posts: 388
    jtighe, you are right. Dealers are loaded with Pilots. At one dealership, I counted at least fifteen 2006s on the lot, who knows how many more back in the storage area. Another dealership claims to have 26 2006s in stock.

It is noted that prices will be going down shortly, and are starting to. Did you see the post about $400 below invoice on 2006 EX-L with Nav? I read a business report showing that Honda sales will be down at least 8% this month, and Toyota sales will be down at least 10%. Looks like a very ugly month for car sales in general.
  • millergnhmillergnh Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone noticed that the HONDA website no longer shows the AMAZON GREEN METALLIC or TAFFETA WHITE colors for the 2006 Honda? I can't find it on the site, even when I "build and Price". Has anyone seen the AMAZON GREEN at their stores? I'm in colorado and they don't have any. Oh, and I think we have all the 4wd, because I can't find a 2wd one here in Colorado at all. :confuse:
    You are right about the Honda site, no longer showing Green or White. However, websites of several local dealers in my area have both of those colors in stock in various 2006 models.
  • 2moreyears2moreyears Member Posts: 14
    Thats so weird. There could have been bad customer input, so they removed the two colors from further production. Although, if you go to the Acura website the MDX (the Pilot's twin) still comes in Amazon Green and Taffeta White :confuse: .
  • aggiebradaggiebrad Member Posts: 6
    Hey, I just thought of a common link between the Green and White 2006 Pilots. If I remember correctly, the both share the same interior fabric (green I think) which is different from all other colors. Possibly a problem with that specific fabric? Can anyone who has a paper brochure confirm?
  • lmuellerlmueller Member Posts: 29
    I have seen both the Amazon Green and Taffeta White in person on '06 Pilots. The Amazon green is like an army green. Looks to me more suited to a Jeep than a Honda, but that is just my opinion. Both the green and white are the only colors that come with "olive" interior, which is more like a very dark taupe. I like the olive leather (didn't see a cloth one). Would have bought the white one, but someone already had a deposit on it, and it was the only one. Dealer should get another one on a truck within 2 weeks, so we'll wait for that one. As for the poster who can only find 4WD Pilots, in this part of TX, it's hard to find a 4WD - almost everything is 2WD. No snow and no hills don't make it a big seller around here...
  • player4player4 Member Posts: 362
    I've personally seen Amazon Green Metallic and Taffeta White 2006 Pilots at my local dealership. The brochure says that Amazon Green Metallic and Taffeta White 2006 Pilots share the same color interior which is Olive throughout the LX, EX, and EX-L trim levels. BTW these two the Amazon Green and Taffeta White colors are the only colors that have the Olive interiors. No other exterior clolor has the Olive interior the otehr exterior colors have either Gray or Saddle interior colors. So maybe there is a problem with the Olive color in both the cloth and leather?
  • snowtechsnowtech Member Posts: 14
    In a recent newspaper ad I noticed that the local Honda dealer in Fairfax VA was referring to the Honda Pilot as as "Honda Pilot Station Wagon" rather than a SUV as they did in the past. Has anybody else noticed this anywhere ? I wonder if they are trying to get away from the word SUV these days and referring to it as a station wagon.
    :confuse:
  • tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    The olive interior is actually a taupe color, that needs to be SEEN to be understood. It is very hard to describe or represent with printed ink in a brochure. The ridgeline also uses it, so it's hard to say why the pilot has stopped. There may be some color shifting about to happen, and I've made some calls to find out, and when I know, I'll post it. BTW, once SEEN, it's actually very attractive. The gray is just too plain and boring for my taste and feels too much like a cloudy day, although I'll admit it is a relatively safe color for a purchase decision. Saddle is always good and so is Ivory, except for showing all the dirt. Anyway, we'll all find out soon enough what's happening here. White is one of the bigger sellers, and it's hard to think that it would be discontinued. In spite of that, it is still entirely possible that it will be discontinued, and it is possible that a METALLIC white (like the Acura) will replace it, or a different shade of white, or simply a different interior color will be available soon. All very interesting.
  • lawgirl5lawgirl5 Member Posts: 6
    I just bought the '06 EX-L. Its far better than the '05's and before that I see on the road. The front end has a more truck-y look to it. The grille is nicer too. A lot of the options on the '05 are now standard on the '06 which is really great!
  • mldj98mldj98 Member Posts: 378
    Just for info purposes...I called American Honda today and they told they have stop production on the 06 White Honda Pilot....when I asked why....the rep said he did not know....but he said that the stop was for the model year 06....what does that mean...hmmmmm....what I will say is those 1-800 reps are about clueless anyways...not all their fault though....Honda is known for being very secretive about stuff like this....hard to think that the color white would be gone for the rest of the model year.....my guess is that it will come back with saddle or ivory interior...they will have to just re-up production on that....we shall see....
  • alexashaalexasha Member Posts: 51
    I would not be suprised that it is a mistake. Notice that on HOnda website the only interior color available is gray. That can not be. In addition, white is a very popular color. I would be suprised if honda decided to change colors in the middle of the production.
    Just my 2 cents.
    "Alexasha", there are gray AND saddle interiors offered on the '06 Pilot, shown on the Honda website. If you go to the colors section, you need to click on one of the exterior color choices and the interior that goes with it will be shown. I think that "mldj98 " is thinking correctly in guessing that ivory or saddle will replace the olive. It makes the most sense so far, but it's hard to outguess Honda. Overall, historically, white has been the number one selling exterior color for most automobiles for most model years in modern times, so it's very likely to return soon. The first person to get to the bottom of this should hopefully post it.
    I just bought my 2006 Pilot EX-L (with no navigation as I don't get lost...and no entertainment system as I don't have kids and will never be in the back seats) from Capitol Honda in San Jose, CA for $29,602. If you are in the area and are a member of Santa Clara County Credit Union, DEFINATELY go through their car connection program. This was the best car buying situation EVER! But no matter where you live, ALWAYS buy through the fleet manager! You will get a better deal as they get paid for how many cars they get off the lot vs the sales people who get paid on commission for how much you over paid! :)
  • jmoothjmooth Member Posts: 12
    Just to make sure I'm reading this right, it appears that the 2WD Pilot is rated to tow 3,500 lbs, while the 4WD does 4,500. Are there any issues with going the 2WD route? I'll need to tow infrequently, and fuel mileage is an overall higher priority.

Thanks,
    Jerry
  • dennis65dennis65 Member Posts: 2
    lawgirl5,
    Could you clarify that it's EX-L 4WD or 2WD, and provide details on fees and other options?
    Thanks.
  • brokedudebrokedude Member Posts: 13
    Just wondering if you all thougth this is a competitive price for 06 EX-L + Nav for NYC area----$32,857 (includeds dest.) but not TTL .
  • austxaustx Member Posts: 4
    Does the NAV system integrate with a bluetooth cell phone for hands free calling/talking? Was yours a 2006?
  • jbeenyjbeeny Member Posts: 3
    Brokedude,

I also live in NYC but got my 06 EX-L with Navi 10 days ago from a dealer in Jersey. I used Carsdirect and got it for $31,771(including destination). TTL was additional.
    Hope this helps. :D
    I did preorder white Pilot AWD EXL with Navi about a week ago and you got me worried. I emailed my dealer this morning and he assured that he did not hear about any plans to change white color. I sure hope that he is correct.
    BTW I got a price of 32732 with 250.00 document fee. The price includes destination and mud flaps. Towing package was an additional 991.00, which is much cheaper then in all other dealerships (about 1200). I got this quote from Alabama dealer.
    That was the price for the 2WD "standard" EX-L. I added on an additional $900 in options, but was not including that amount in the price I paid. Price out the door with tax, license etc. came to $32363.17. But now that you can write off sales tax...its a moot issue in my opinion.
  • pilothondapilothonda Member Posts: 8
    jbeeny:
    Was this for a 2wheel drive or 4(awd)? If 4wd could you share the name of the dealer? Also, were there any other fees outside of TTL not included in $31,771?

If this is AWD, it looks as if you got it below invoice. Does anyone out there no if there is now some kind of cashback/incentive for dealers on the 06 Pilots?
    I am looking for an '06 AWD, EXL and am shopping in the MA/So. NH area. I have received quotes on the internet from two dealers for $29,500. which includes the $550. delivery charge. This appears to be approx. $780.00 under dealer invoice, has anyone shopping in this area gotten better pricing? The only other fees I have been quoted are for "dealer prep" and this is in the $180. range.
  • sas1sas1 Member Posts: 19
    Jerry - The 2wdr rating is lower because of only one axle pulling. Ratings are defined by engine power, gear rations, hitch config, brake capacity and axle lenght.
    Note that ratings are best case scenario: Sea-level, flat dry surface etc. If you are to tow in mountanous areas or less than perfect traction areas I would go with 4wdr. I am going for the 2wdr because I live in Tucson AZ - no snow and rarely mud in the dessert. All things considered the 200Lbs less weight should translate into better pickup. I tested the VCM on a test drive. It is completely seamless and on everytime decelerating, at stop light or cruising at highway speed. I have an LX offered for 24.944 - out the door it is 27.946
  • navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    Can we move this discussion to the SUVs board since this vehicle isn't really a "future vehicle" anymore?
  • surffishjimmysurffishjimmy Member Posts: 4
    I called American Honda and basically told them the issue with the Amazon Green and the White no longer an option on the website. They said they would find out and call me back. It turns out they said that it is just an issue with the web-site. They are still offering and producing the Amazon Green and the White in the '06 model.
  • hoshos Member Posts: 31
    bogiejim,

This is an owefully low price . Mak sure they did not quote you 05. This price fits the 05 not 06.
  • hoshos Member Posts: 31
    hondaguy12,

The breakdown on your price quote is 30780 for car + dest and Nav is about 1950. totalling 32730. If you've got 32257 + 550 dest, it pretty much brings it to my total, which is basically invoice price (I don't know what the invoice price is on the options such as nav; the 1950 Nav is MSRP). I have done a lot of research on this car for the past 15 months. Its the best in its class (in qualify, reliability, safety, comfort, flexibility) and most bang for your money. I will get one myself in a month or so once I can squeeze a little more out of the hungry dealers.
    Hos,
    They definitely quoted as I specified, an '06 AWD EXL, and it does include the $550. delivery I don't think I'm going to do much better on the pricing. They've got to be only making a few hundred bucks from the Honda holdback that they get quarterly.
  • jbeenyjbeeny Member Posts: 3
    pilothonda,

It was a 2WD. The Doc fee and registration was not included in the $31,771.
  • sperk99sperk99 Member Posts: 2
    I just got one in NH for 27,100 incl all fees
  • sperk99sperk99 Member Posts: 2
    This was an 2006 EX no further options
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    Yup, that'll happen next week.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• hondaguy12hondaguy12 Member Posts: 10
    Hos,
    Thanks for the info. Based on the cars.com, the 2006 4X4 Pilot EX-L invoiced at $29,730 plus $550 for destination and $1977 for Nav. I totally agree with you on the value of the Pilot in compare with oters such as Pathfinder, MDX, Explorer, ML350, BMW M5. This is limited to pricing and reliability and safety only. I donot want to discuss about style which is varies depend on persons.

Right now Ourisman at Tyson Corner, VA offer the car for $1000 over invoice through email. I have not been to that dealer yet.

Based on my experience, the best time to buy the car is close to end of month and close to end of year when the dealer want to move cars on their lot to get the "reward" from Honda. I plan to do just that and get the invoice price or very closed to it.

Is there any one in the Washington DC area has a good deal that can refer to me.
    Thanks
    Hondaguy.
    Mine is an '06. It would certainly be cool to use the nav system and talk on the cell handsfree, but I am not aware of any bluetooth capabilities.
  • vault2vault2 Member Posts: 31
    I purchased a 06 Pilot EX-L 4WD with NAV Amazon Green from KenDixon Honda in Waldorf MD. Here is the breakdown of the Price:

Vehicle Price $32,907.00 (Includes freight and $650 dealer profit)
    VA Tax 3% $ 987.21
    Process. Fees$ 100.00
    Temp Tags $ 15.00
    Plate Transfer $ 2.00

The only reason I went to a dealer in MD is for the following reasons:
    1. To avoid paying the exhorbidant procesing fees
    2. To avoid the additional business tax (over 3%) that the dealer charges
    3. No other delaer was bedjing on the price ($1,000 - $1,500 over Invoice)
    4. This dealer did an online trade and got me the color I wanted (3 week wait)

If you are interested in purchasing at the price I paid, drop me a note, and I will give you a point of contact at the dealership (Sales Manager).
    Has your dealer confirmed that he can get you a white one, because they are going to be discontinued either permanently or temporarily until the interior color issue is sorted out. The likely reeason for this is that the Amazon Green exterior has been negatively received by the dealers, but it has been equipped with an olive interior just like the white. To cancel that Amazon green exterior color would have only left the white exterior with the olive interior. One exterior color may not be enough to justify the production of the olive interior, and therefore they have cancelled them both at this time. The other possiblilty is that they will both return with a different interior, but it is still not determined what the next step will be. If you are wanting a white one, I would seriously consider getting a hold of it as soon as you can, assuming you like the olive interior (which, BTW, does look great with the white).
    I have heard the same thing.....a couple of post up someone said that there was a problem with the webpage.....but I called American Honda and they told me that they had stopped production on the 06 White Pilots....wouldn't tell me why.....but if I was a bettin' man I would say there is something wrong with the olive leather.
    You do not see to many cars with that color of leather...other than the ridgeline.
    I did see one at my local dealership though....it was an 4x4 EX-L....actually sat in it and look at the leather pretty close....still on the fence whether I like it or not.
    Kind of reminds me of aligators.....
    Only time will show. I do not have the VIN for my car, so everything may change. My dealer has not been concerned yet. I will update you as soon as possible. I would not mind getting saddle leather.
  • aec1aec1 Member Posts: 21
    I also spoke w/customer service at Honda today. The guy I spoke to said Taffeta White and Amazon Green are still available and in production and that the problem is with the website. It will take an announcement on their web page or confirmation from a dealership to know the true status of further production of Green or White. Obviously, their own customer service reps (or at least some of them) do not know what Honda is doing with these two colors. :confuse:
  • pftpft Member Posts: 6
    FYI, the Amazon Green and White colors are back on the Honda website as of this evening. Probably just a website glitch, and not a discontinuation of these colors or olive interior.

Who said that Honda told them these colors were being discontinued?
  • nmpnmp Member Posts: 19
    Lots of rumors around this, but sadly very little info. So here we go again:

In 2003 the MDX received a new "compact" transmission. I believe the 2005+ Odyssey shares this design. However, the general concensus is that the Pilot soldiers on with the same potentially troublesome transmission (with whatever TSB patches applied).

On another board, someone provided actual screenshots of the exploded view of both the MDX and Pilot transmissions from 2003...sure enough, the MDX version was different and smaller. I haven't seen Honda mention that they've changed the Pilot's transmission since that year. If anyone has info, do tell.
    Aw....no! Now you have gone and done it!
    My wife wanted the white one....but when we called American Honda they said they had stop making them....and now you have told us they are back on the web page....my wife read your post.....and now my wallet is going to get much lighter!
    So long plasma TV.....hello alligator leather!
    Alexasha, The website has placed the green and white exterior colors back into position. Perhaps the problem was only the website itself, or maybe there was a problem with the colors that's been solved, or perhaps they will once again disappear, but at a more appropriate time after they use up the current supplies. It is not yet known for sure, because there were, in fact, some reps claiming that the colors were discontinued. Either those reps are not sure of the genuine situation, or Honda does indeed have a strategy that no one really knows yet. Either way, get the white (It's also my choice for the Pilot) as soon as possible. All the interior colors would be good with it, including the olive. Enjoy it! Did you say you were going to get the nav? The '06 nav is fantastic with the voice command.
    Alexasha, I also wanted to mention to you that you shouldn't let some of the comments in the forum affect your opinion of the color choice you made. The olive interior is not an alligator any more than last year's fern looked like elephant, or the gray is a cloudy day, etc. Those remarks are fun, but the bottom line is YOU need to like it. You are the one buying it. The '06 Pilot in white with olive interior is a great looking vehicle, especially if YOU like it!
  • bzbbzb Member Posts: 1
    I just bought the '06 Pilot in Amazon Green and love it! The first comment people make is that they really like the color. I also think the olive interior looks great. I prefer it over the saddle (grey was my second choice w/Blue ext.). The model I got was the only on in Green on the lot and the only one I could find in Memphis, which did seem odd. However, I can't imagine that they would discontinue this exterior or interior colors due to negative consumer response. And although I am not a "white car guy" I am sure they will continue producing it as well. :)