Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Pilot 2006

Comments

• run264funrun264fun Member Posts: 1
    Been reading lots of posts on pricing...dealers here in Az aren't budging too much. However, I did manage to get $33,400 OTD, with a selling price of $31K (750. over invoice of $30,250, doc fees, tire tax), coupled with sales tax of 7.6%. Have to wait until 1 December for the vehicle to arrive, but got the dealer to throw in floor mats for the wait. The selling price also is under what Edmunds considers TMV. For us it came dow to two dealers, as most dealers came in around 34K OTD and weren't willing to deal too much. I've read that someone in NJ got one for 27,100 OTD???! Was that on an EX-L AWD? Find that hard to believe, seeing as Invoice is 29,750. Keep in mind that invoice prices differ in various regions. Here in the SW, Invoice is $30,250.

As I negotiated, pricing really comes down to you feeling that you got a fair deal, and that's different for everyone. I downloaded a spreadsheet from www.carbuyingtips.com and calculated a tartget price that would represent a good deal for me and a good deal for the dealer. I may have received a better deal, but given the facts of time of year and popularity of color (sage brush pearl), I think we did pretty good.

Amazon Green was our second color choice, but heard that it didn't do well with the Ridgeline. I found only one Green in Arizona, so decided against it. Not sure how this color will affect resale in say 5-8 years, when that color isn't the 'in' color anymore.

I'd be interested to know how others faired in purchase experience, especially those from the SW.
  • michael40michael40 Member Posts: 1
    I am confused. I have been viewing the posts on this forum for about a month, and the purchase information posted here would seem to be quite helpful ($500...$300 over invoice, etc.). Armed with that information, I spoke today with an internet manager for a local dealership, and I advised him of the deals reported on this forum. He laughed, said people lie on forums about the deals they supposedly get, and told me to look at Edmunds TMV -- which he claims is the true price paid by persons purchasing Honda Pilots in this area. The Edmunds TMV for the 2006 Honda Pilot in my area (Mobile, Alabama) is only about $700 less than the MRSP. When I went through Carsdirect to get quotes from those dealers, the Carsdirect "target price" for this zip code was listed at $100 over invoice, so I do not believe that buyers in Mobile Alabama have lost their collective minds. What value is the TMV? Thanks for any help.
  • floatingcloudfloatingcloud Member Posts: 27
    I tested drive a Highlander, and the 3rd row was really only for a small kid. I may not have chance to test drive a Pilot in the near future. Could you guys share your feeling on the 3rd row? Is it to for a less than average adult (I am 5'8)?

Thanks a lot.
  • tcasboytcasboy Member Posts: 214
    TMV is worthless, just another number out there in space. All that matters is that you feel ok about the price YOU pay for YOUR vehicle.

If the TMV was at 100 under invoice you can be that the sales people would be telling you that it was meaningless. In that case I would say they were right. All that matters is what you are willing to pay and whether or not they will take the deal.

Good luck.
  • denadadenada Member Posts: 18
    I compared the HL and Pilot before, sure that the 3rd in pilot is better.
    You can move the 2nd row forward to free more leg room for the 3rd row. IMO, it is good for me(5'8") if the trip is less than 30 mins.
  • sandydee1sandydee1 Member Posts: 26
    We test drove the Ford Explorer/Mercury Mountaineer, Dodge Durango, Toyota Highlander, and Honda Pilot. Two of our criteria were good 3rd row seats and 3rd row air conditioning. I am 5' 6" and sat in all of the 3rd row seats. The 3rd row seats in the Ford Explorer and Honda Pilot were the best. The Highlander had the worst 3rd row seat. The Explorer and Durango had the 3rd row air conditioning. The Pilot and Highlander did not. In addition, the Highlander did not even have 2nd row air conditioning. We eliminated the Highlander for the bad 3rd row seat and no 2nd or 3rd row air conditioning. We eliminated the Durango and Explorer as being too big and low on gas mileage. Thus, we chose the Honda Pilot even though it did not have the 3rd row air conditioning. We bought a 2006 silver EX AWD and have had it for 36 hours.
  • denadadenada Member Posts: 18
    I don't think there was a simply website problem. I bought a 06' Amazon Green EX in the end of Sep. Then I log on the honda owner website, the website show the the picture of the amazon green 06. After I read the post about the color discontinuous, I go back to the owner website, they change the picture to 05' pilot.

I check it today and they switch back to 06 Amazon green now.

I think they are the completely difference website( Honda.com and Owner Link), if there is only a simply website mistake, should not affect the owner link.

But everything is resume normal right now , and I don't have to worry about that anymore.
  • alexashaalexasha Member Posts: 51
    My choice of color stays. As I wrote, I already have preordered white pilot. I myself would prefer saddle leather, but green will do. The main choice is white external color and NOT grey internal. I though that honda.com had problems with their website. I the last couple days prior to release honda.com had a lot of changes that were not finished. I think it is a pure fault of the honda's webmaster. Only time will prove us wrong, only time.
  • mldj98mldj98 Member Posts: 378
    Tagman,

I don't think that you need to take the comments in this forum so seriously....
    It is obvious that people need to buy what THEY like not what they read here....at least I do....and since I am the one that made the comment about alligator color...if it makes you feel any better I was kidding! Jeeezzzz......
    The olive interior is not that bad....however, you must admit it is an unusual color correct?????? Life is simple....if you like something, go for it....if not, don't!
    There is no reason these forums can't be informative and entertaining at the same time....for me....I can tell when someone is having fun and when someone is not...
    hence the :o) at the end of my prior post!
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    The Row 2 & 3 space was important to me too. I ended up buying a Ford Freestyle. From Cars.com in the order of Freestyle, Pilot, Highlander, Dodge Durango:

Front Legroom: 41.2, 41.4, 40.7, 41.5
    2nd Row Legroom: 40.2, 37.4, 36.4, 37.4
    3rd Row Legroom: 33.3, 30.2, 30.2, 34.4

And the Durango is bigger overall. Of course there are lots of reasons to pick a car.
  • alexashaalexasha Member Posts: 51
    I do not have any problems with calling green leather an alligator color. I think it was funny, nothing else. THis is especially true after such comments as
    "So long plasma TV.....hello alligator leather!" - I loved it.
    My 2 cents
  • berardberard Member Posts: 13
    Delighted to hear you got your Amazon Green Pilot. We've been enjoying our red one. Happy motoring!
  • khoakhoa Member Posts: 64
    Based on what I've seen, TMV tends to lag behind current values. However, each area is different since price is dictated by supply&demand. Your best bet is to get quotes outside of your area. Even in my area, quote varies from 500-1500 above invoice. The funny thing is, the dealer that quotes 1500 above doesn't believe the 500 over invoice quote I get from a dealer just 10 miles away. Shop around and good luck.
  • tcasboytcasboy Member Posts: 214
    Dealers will hardly ever admit that another dealer might be willing to undersell them. Part of their make up I guess.
  • ngvincentngvincent Member Posts: 3
    Jensad,
    We would love to know the name of your Dealership and salesman. You have the vehicle we have been looking for! Not to mention a price we can live with! Unfortunately that particular Pilot is very hard to find in the Monterey area!
    Thanks for the help!
    ngvincent
  • rix66rix66 Member Posts: 3
    I posted recently about our buying experience and though I didn't lie, the price wasn't quite correct - it was actually slightly less than stated - $320 over invoice. Someone else just posted that the only thing that matters is you being comfortable with the price but it's a lot easier to be comfortable if you know what others are paying. Again, for a 2006 AWD EX-L, $30,600 including destination. If one dealer doesn't want to sell at a good price buy elsewhere. Another thing to consider, I went in in response to a holiday sale ad and their offer was $32000 so I walked. They called back the next day with the above price and we didn't haggle as we thought that fair.

We got our car Monday and I drove it today for the first time and it was quite nice (this car replaces a 98 Mercedes ML320). Very smooth, solid and well behaved. I don't care for the shifter but considering the cavernous storage between the seats, it's a worthwhile tradeoff. Someone mentioned road noise and it was not noticable at all but I never got over 45mph either. And yes, Edmunds TMV was quite a bit more than we paid. Good luck.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Per the note above the "post a message" box, we don't permit info about specific salespeople; however, dealership, city & state are welcome!

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• ngvincentngvincent Member Posts: 3
    Sorry, did not know the about the salesman rule. No problem. I would still like to know the name of the dealership though.
    ngvincent
  • hoshos Member Posts: 31
    I have been studying the pilot for the past year. As I have stressed before, amongst all the cars in the same class, this is the safest, most versatile, and most comfortable car. Third row seat is important for me too and this car has be far the best. The third row folds down in two sections (single and double). For one thing getting in and out is very easy due to roominess of the inside. Also, I took a friend along and we were able to sit on the larger section of the third seat and fold the single section down. We did not have any trouble sitting. I am 5'10" and my friend was 5'4". No third row in a SUV is comfortable for a long journey (van is the best alternative), but this car has by far the roomiest third row in its class.

You may ask why I have not bought one !!! I have been waiting for 06 with curtain airbags. This car is very popular in the northwest and I can get good deals around christmas. Last year around christmas dealer kept sending me emails to come and buy a car $200 over invoice.
  • tinatinatinatina Member Posts: 388
    Hos, I concur with your points about the Pilot. I think its the best SUVs out there for the money. I have also been waiting for the 2006s to arrive in N. California and good pricin. At the start of the month, they were asking $1,000 above invoice, then $500, then $250, and now "at invoice." The dealers here have a ton of Pilots on hand - ranging from 29 to 35 just at two dealerships I checked. I've held off because I think the units here (for whatever reason) are not moving, and I have been going back and forth with just getting a 2005 one. I also heard that Honda sales are going to be down by 8% in October (per an AP business article). This could be a blow for Honda because of the re-design Civic and the restyled Pilot and Accord. Christas has always been a really good time to get a Pilot though - so that's why I'll wait. It sounds like your market may be more stronger for the seller than the buyer (at least for the moment).
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    This discussion is now located on the SUVs board, where steve & tidester will be your new hosts!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• jensadjensad Member Posts: 388
    Hi Kirstie h and nqvincent

We purchased our Pilot at Berkeley Honda, and I dealt with the owner. And for others, no, I have no interest in Berkeley Honda, nor do I work for them.

The sales manager was excellent, and the sales person who spent about 30 minutes going over the controls et al inside the vehicle was also courteous and knowledgible, (sp). This was done at 8:30 PM. And we drove home with the new Pilot. And my wife loves her car.

The experience was A +. And I DO NOT give praise to people unless they are worthy.

Good luck to all and stay safe.

jensad :)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Welcome all - please note that we also have a Honda Pilot: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion so please post your deal details in there for easy access by other potential owners.

There's also a Honda Pilot: Lease Questions discussion as well.

Thanks!

Steve, Host
  • gearjammer62gearjammer62 Member Posts: 108
    Folks - Pilot sales are down 25.6% year-over-year in Honda's latest sales report released a couple of weeks ago - and that is even with some very aggressive leasing incentives out there. Most dealers have lots of '05's still on the lots. Demand for SUV's getting under 20 MPG is falling like a rock, so there is absolutely no need to pay more than invoice on a Pilot - or any other SUV- period. Honda and it's dealers still make money on them at that price - so be patient and let the downturn in the SUV market for FOR you....
  • jimusa95jimusa95 Member Posts: 1
    I thought I had heard that the Pilot and MDX were based on the pre-2005 Odyssey chassis -- and that at some point they would be updated with the '05 Odyssey's new chassis.

Is the '06 Pilot based on the new Odyssey chassis? If not, does anyone know if that's planned for a future redesign?
  • tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    Yes, the market will shift towards more fuel efficient vehicles, as it should, but where can anyone get an eight passenger vehicle with all the features of the '06 Pilot for its bargain price? The '06 Pilot is still an outstanding balance between gas mileage, passenger and cargo capacity, features, and price. Shortly, the market will finish making its initial adjustment to the gas situation, as it always has historically. So be careful not to wait too long for the future and miss out on these great deals today. After all, one day you might just trade-in your '06 Pilot towards a Hybrid Pilot, right?
  • lawgirl5lawgirl5 Member Posts: 6
    I find the road noise is unbearable when driveing with the moonroof open. So much so that I'm considering getting the moonroof visor installed--but not sure if those really even help at all or not. There is always some noise from an open moonroof, but this is the worst I've heard! Otherwise, I don't notice road noise when its closed, or else, it doesn't bother me.
  • hkeinerhkeiner Member Posts: 11
    What does the AUX portion of AUX/XM button do on the audio system of an EXL? I understand that XM radio exists in the unit but am not clear on whether this AUX button allows you to also plug other auxiliary components into the back of the audio unit. I would like to plug an MP3 player (iPod for example) into the audio unit using an auxiliary cable.

I called a few dealers and none of the salesmen could answer my questions with any certainty without pulling the audio unit from the dash, which of course they did not want to do.
  • kirsten514kirsten514 Member Posts: 3
    Sorry for the cross-post, but I am new to the boards and I am in the market for an '06 2WD EXL in Memphis, TN. I talked the dealer down (reluctantly) to $28,750 today and he wants to sign by the end of the month - not surprisingly. Based on everyone's research and experience, is this a fair price? I have heard a rumor that Honda may release some dealer incentives in the coming months since sales have been down, so I would kind of like to hold out. But....at the same time my 10 year old car (the reason why I am shopping) is on its last leg, so I do need to make a decision fairly quickly. I look forward to your thoughts!!
  • sas1sas1 Member Posts: 19
    Iam In the market for a 2wdr EX. Quotes has been sliding down the last 2 weeks. I startet 500 over invoice and now have to offers at invoice which for AZ is 27232. As long as you pay no more than invoice your set.
  • hondaguy12hondaguy12 Member Posts: 10
    Does any one know what is the right price for
    1. side step (just like running board but round shape and look sportier, in my opion)?
    2. Does 06 EX-L AWD w. NAV including the roof top side bars (was standard in 05)?
    3. Do you know of any Honda or after market bluetooth conversion that will work with the 06 Pilot stereo system.

Thanks
    Hondaguy
    Hondaguy12, Your local dealer may charge a slightly different price on accessories than the recommended retail price, especially if you are at the point of making a deal on the vehicle with certain accessories. The best way to do this is to get the deal on the vehicle at the price you know is fair, then to request the accessories be added at the dealer's cost (which would be less than the retail price of the accessory plus an internal labor rate on installation). To answer the main point of your question, the Honda retail price for the side steps (round bars, not the running boards) is $525 for the black and $650 for the chrome. The crossbars for the roof rack were optional last year and are again this year for a price of $178. All these prices do not include any installation costs. I do not know of any bluetooth option from anyone that will work and I would love to know of one myself. Hope that helps you out. TagMan
    Tagman,
    Thank you for the prompt response.
    Last year my brother bought the Pilot EX-L AWD with NAV along with cross bar and side steps. He paid $200 over invoice price. He got it around mid December when traffic at the dealer was low. He was suprised that he could get the pilot at that price.

I hope I can do the same.

Hondaguy
    I hope you can, too. Market conditions are in your favor! The new nav w/ voice command is very cool! Sounds like a great family Christmas present.
  • sfbntpcsfbntpc Member Posts: 1
    That's an excellent price--only about 100 dollars over invoice. We have 5 lots in the hampton roads area of VA and the lowest I could get anyone down to was around 30,000. Sign the papers!! I just bought my EXL on thursday and I love it. I am discovering new things about it every day. You just need to sit in there a while to figure everything out.
  • snowtechsnowtech Member Posts: 14
    "While analysts expect Honda to outpace the industry thanks to its fuel-efficient cars at a time of high pump prices, the auto maker said it now expected to dish out more on sales incentives -- as much as $1 billion this year instead of the $890 million forecast three months ago and $690 million projected in April. "

Source:
    http://money.cnn.com/2005/10/27/news/international/honda.reut/index.htm

May be worth the wait I keep reading about on this board.
  • ev6284ev6284 Member Posts: 5
    I wanted to see if I got a good price on the new Pilot I just bought. I just purchased a 2006 Pilot EX-L with DVD Entertainment system. No navigation. Bought it here in San Diego CA. I was able to get the sales person to include the chrome running board along with the upgraded alarm. Also included were the wheel locks, cargo tray, wheel & door guards, and mud guard in the front and back. I purchsed the Pilot for $31750 plus tax & licenses....How does it sound?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Congratulations! Consider sharing in Honda Pilot: Prices Paid & Buying Experience.

tidester, host
  • shimboshimbo Member Posts: 4
    Hard to say, I just got a internet quote from a dealer in Benton Harbor MI for a 06 AWD EX-L w/RES for $31,900 plus tax and license. I am not looking to buy for a couple of months so I think I can do better. (incentives wise) Anyone have any advice to the not waitiing?
    There is no evidence to suggest that waiting should cause you a problem. On the contrary, the deals are already favorable on '06's and the inventories are not depleted by any means. There is evidence of some increased incentives from the manufacturer, so as long as the supply/demand remains in the buyer's favor you will be OK. The thing to watch for is a shrinking supply. This is not likely, but at some point, it will balance out. So. always have a current price quote handy, so you can buy at the lowest level. If you should start to see (unlikely for a while) an upward price shift, then you would know you are passing the point of rock bottom prices, and it might be time to purchase. The good news is that this is a fantastic time to purchase an SUV, given the market situation. GOOD LUCK!
  • shimboshimbo Member Posts: 4
    Thanks.

I will post when I get closer to finalizing a deal.
    Just got a quote from a dealer for a 06 Pilot AWD w. NAV without any options such side step, roof top side bar, rear mud flap that I want:
    Price $32707
    Destination $550
    Processing fee $100
    Tag and title $245

I think it is too high since the invoice is $32256 including destination charge.

Any comments/help? :(

Thanks
    Hondaguy12
  • markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    I think a better approach is to buy a car if you are ready to buy a car, and postpone if not. So many factors affect the price that are highly unpredictable that it is like timing the stock market.

You can make getting the lowest price for a car a full-time job for a month or two if you really want, but if your time has any value, it's hardly cost effective and for most of us, it makes work out of something this is supposed to be fun.

- Mark
    markjenn,
    I definately agree with you that the best time to buy is usually when a person is ready, but I'm pretty sure that shimbo indicted that it wouldn't be for a while yet. I think shimbo indicated in the post that it was going to be a couple of months before ready to buy, and was concerned if waiting was going to be a problem. I doubt that shimbo was trying to be a "market timer", or "work full time" at it, as you made it sound, but merely was concerned if waiting would be a problem. It was a good and valid question. "Impulse buyers" buy spontaneously with little regard for price, while others look for the "very best deal". As I read many of the posts on this forum, it is clear that the vast majority of people want to get a good deal and are willing to work reasonably at it, without obsessing over it. I agree with the majority.
    TagMan
  • spelispeli Member Posts: 2
    Two days ago, I bought my Amazon Green Metallic '06 Honda Pilot 4WD EXL with Navigation at invoice with sidesteps, splash guards, cargo tray and auto day/night mirror from Roberts Honda in Downingtown, PA.
    I picked it up last night, and oh boy, what a pleasure to drive. I LOVE the voice input of the Navigation system - I can ask it what time it is, to switch to a different radio station or to take me home, and it LISTENS !
    Love my new toy, and the color is beautiful! :-)
  • bogiejimbogiejim Member Posts: 51
    Are you saying that you paid invoice and had all those extras thrown in by the dealer for nada?
    I agree, but as I said, when somenoe asks "when is the best time to buy", or "can I get a better deal waiting a month or two", to me is about the same question as asking whether a stock is going to go up or down in the next month - it's a valid question but I don't believe there a good answers. There are some major price trends with respect to the introduction of a new model, but once the market has stabilized a bit (as the Pilot market has) anyone saying they they can predict whether the price is going to go up or down in the next few months is blowing smoke. So it's mostly silly to try and time a purchase, especially given the small variations.

All IMHO of course.

- Mark
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Best time to buy? A rainy Christmas Eve 15 minutes before closing, provided there's a full moon.

When to Buy Your Next Car

Steve, Host
    Steve, didn't know Edmunds had this feature. Well-written. Exactly on target.

- Mark
    Steve,
    THANK YOU! It's no surprise that Edmunds has all sorts of buying advice and tips. In part, that's what it's all about! Great sense of humor, too!
    TagMan