Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Pilot 2006

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    My favorite link here is Confessions of a Car Salesman.

When I got my last new car, after researching Edmunds (that's how I found this site in '98), I went to the dealer on Christmas Eve, then did a fax exchange to nail down the price and finalized the deal on New Years Eve.

I felt good about the deal - looking back though, I still left a couple of thousand on the table, LOL. Salespeople do this everyday, so don't beat yourself up too badly when you discover someone got a better deal than you. :shades:

Steve, Host
  • tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    Great insight! It's definately a great idea to put a HEALTHY perspective on the energy level that goes into getting a good deal. Sure, it's a good thing to put some effort into it, as you did, but don't lose sleep over it! I totally agree. Thanks once again, Steve.
    TagMan
  • sas1sas1 Member Posts: 19
    Just bought an EX 2wdr for 27305. Out the door including splashguard (free), and tinted windows (229) it came to 30535 (tax 7.6%, doc 299, Reg 512, Tire 5,-) This was at Dobbs Honda in Tucson, AZ For a limited time Honda Offers 3.9% finance up to 60 month - we took advantage of that. Only downside was that i had to choose models in stock - fortunately they had a Sage brush pearl, my second choice after Steel blue. There is no question about the dealers beeing "jittery" sales are down and this is really a buyers market. Cant wait to cruise along Arizonas wide open roads on 3 cylinders and a green ECO light on.
  • colhazardcolhazard Member Posts: 8
    hi sas1, congratulations on your new Pilot!... I'm interested in the same deal, however, I looked up the standard features that the EX comes with and one of them is the tint on the windows behind the driver, is that a special tint they did on your EX? thanks.
  • emkcswemkcsw Member Posts: 6
    Is the 3.9% financing through AHFC? Dealers here in Texas claim that Honda is not offerring that special rate.

Thanks
    I see some leasing incentives for a couple of models of the '06 Pilot and $1,500 dealer cash for the '05's. That's just in my zip code though.

(Incentives & Rebates)

Steve, Host
    Thanks for the update.

I have yet to find official 3.9% financing info by AHFC. Do you think these rates are dealer specific rather than by Honda? It seems the rate is offered to the west coast (CA, AZ), but I have yet to seen others post similar rates even on Odesseys, Civics, or Accords since it was mentioned that the special rate applied for all hondas.
    It seems odd that American Honda would just put incentives on the coast where foreign cars typically sell well, but anything is possible. The only California zip I know is 90210 and those incentives are the same as for my zip. It's also the end of the month and it takes us a while to learn about any new incentives so the low interest rates may have just been announced.

The rate sounds good, but if it's just a dealer offer through a local bank, then you have to wonder if it could be even better:

steve_, "Any Questions for a Car Dealer?" #14190, 9 Oct 2005 10:44 am

If you're in the market, you should be monitoring the Honda Pilot: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion too.

Steve, Host
    Thanks Steve.

I've been posting to the other forum as well just to vcover my bases. I'll let you and others know what I can uncover through AHFC.
  • tsytsy Member Posts: 1,551
    I guess Honda periodically comes out with lower interest rates here for just a few days at a time. Maybe it's just to certain regions if stock builds up?

Honda's sell very well here in the Seattle, even '05s go for over invoice (although not much). I was able to get $700 over invoice which is better than most other dealers were willing to do (over the internet) Which I felt was fair but not a great deal. I just didn't have the time to haggle more. (that and my trade certainly wasn't exactly a highly sought after vehicle!)

I'm pretty sure the financing is through AHFC, but I'm not positive.

tom

edit: oops. I think this is in the wrong thread. Sorry
    I remember this was discussed recently, but I'm just wondering if anyone ever determined with any accuracy just what the AUX button on the nav-satellite radio is for?
  • dnrocksdnrocks Member Posts: 1
    I just asked this on Saturday while test driving a Pilot with NAV. If you opt for the RES, there is a set of audio/video inputs on the back of the center console. Plug in a Playstation or other device, press the AUX button, and you'll get the audio through the Pilot's stereo system.

Pilots without the RES don't have the inputs, but still have the AUX button on the radio. It does nothing. Maybe someone with a Pilot can tell us if these inputs are available on the back of the radio that you can plug into, or if they are permanently deactivated in the radio if you don't have the RES.
  • pup975pup975 Member Posts: 13
    So does this mean you can hook up an iPod to the audio-in inputs and play your iPod through the speakers (with the correct connectors of course)? Has anyone tried this yet? This would make getting the RES even more worth it.
    One problem with getting the RES is that you can NOT get the NAV at the same time. You are forced to make a choice. The Acura MDX lets you do both, but the Pilot still has this limitation. The solution for buyers that want both in the Pilot, is to get the factory NAV with all of the cool features that come with it (rear camera, satellite radio, voice command, etc.) and then add third-party RES that is equivalent or even better than the factory version. This is the best approach, since it is not possible to add equivalent third-party NAV. Some buyers do not need or want the NAV, but most of the buyers that have tried the NAV know that it is MUCH more than just getting directions. As I've said before, it's VERY cool.
    So. . .for vehicles with the NAV, the AUX button is still a mystery. We need to find out whether or not it can be utilized. Is there acces to the input from somewhere under the dash? Even then, would it work? We all might be on to something here. Let's really try to find out the REAL deal on this!!!
  • wbwynnwbwynn Member Posts: 246
    Honda has announced a new ipod integration accessory kit for the re-designed Civic, which is expected to be available in December. There has been no news as to whether this would work or is even available for the new 2006 Pilot. Honda is really missing the boat if they don't address this need on the Pilot.
    I just spoke to very copperative guy at Honda Corporate, and I am told that it appears that Honda will likely release there OWN MP3 accessory to attach to the center console. It has not yet been officially determined as to whether or not there will be an attachment to allow the ipod to integrate into the system, but it makes good sense to expect it. One of the considerations is the way the "user graphic interface" would work with the various devices. Honda's own device might allow for touch-screen integration on the NAV screen, while it is not clear what would happen with other devices. Possibly a default that would surrender to the other device's own control panel. But none of this is in stone yet. I was promised a follow-up on this from Honda, so when I learn more I'll post what I find out.
  • jagnmgjagnmg Member Posts: 3
    Been shopping the internet for the same 06 2WDEXL. Dealer called today and offered to sell at invoice $28625. I said I appreciate the offer, not in any need for a new vehicle now, and said I purchased my Odyssey at MSRP less10% and my Accord at MSRP less 15% and to let me know if Honda has any incentives or rebates for the 06 Pilot and that the first offer at MSRP less 15% gets the order. I normally deal late Dec. to Mar. I also told him if the MSRP 15% deal is not available I will wait and either buy late when the 2007's are out or purchase a certified used 2006 that has a better warranty. I expect a call for the 15% deal. Honda Pilot SUV sales are flat as almost all Subs. This dealer has about 25 that are not moving.
  • jagnmgjagnmg Member Posts: 3
    For better fuel economy I am considering purchasing a 2WD 2006 Pilot EX-L for my wife. However I noticed that only the 2WD, not the 4WD uses the Variable Cylinder Management (VCM) and the Active Control Engine Mount System (ACM) and the Active Noise Cancellation (ANC)?

From the information available the 2WD VCM provides some increase in MPG and the ACM and ANC technology is used to reduce or mask engine vibration in the VCM mode. To me any engine vibration is not desirable and may result in premature failure of engine components.

The following is a statement about the Honda VCM development.
    “Since VTEC kicks in at high rpms and VCM at the lower end, Honda had to design a new hydraulic circuit with a three-way solenoid spool valve that could move the synchronizing pin in two directions. And to deal with the increased engine vibration that results from running on only one bank of cylinders, Honda fits the VCM engines with an active-control engine mount system whose actuators move in synch with the vibration to keep it from being transmitted into the passenger cabin. For the booming noise that does make it into the cabin, there's an active noise control system that analyzes the incoming sound waves and transmits an opposite sound wave through the audio system to cancel it.”

Would appreciate any comments especially from anyone that has a Honda Odyssey or 2006 Pilot with VCM. Is there any vibration and is noticable?

JAG
    The *3.9% APR was financed through AHMC, the offer lasted only 3 days. I believe the dealer told me this deal was only for AZ and a few other western states. The Pilot EX comes with tinted windows - but in AZ even that wont do much for the scorching sun, so many dealers here apply an extra film on the inside, this is done by an "outside" vendor. (looks real good by the way).
    * 720+ creditscore required.

The VCM is completely seamless - it operates anytime over 30mph when engine loads are light. Thats why it does not wear the engine unevenly, had the 3 cylinder been "alone" during acceleration and towing it would be a different story". Someone mentioned that an engine shaking to the point where it needs anitvibration is bad. - One of historys most famed engines for durability was the very shaky 1200cc engine in the VW "bug" - the vibration issue is more one of luxury than a mechical problem. Typically the VCM will be disengage 3 cylinders once you are done accelerating from a light, as you release pedal pressure and speed stabilizes it will come on - you can even increase speed slowly. I find myself cruising along in the city with VCM on 60-70% of the time. My first tank of gas has mainly been light city driving (no heavy stop and go traffic) - a rough estimate of the mileage lands around 20. (My friends Ram 1500 HEMI gets 12-13 :cry:
  • tawneycattawneycat Member Posts: 114
    I could feel VCM engage and it was irritating over time. Not brand new. I suspect engine mounts gave up some resistance. On long trip to NM on interstates flat. I constantly felt it while sitting in back seat and wife driving. Some people do not notice it. But I have midrange hearing loss and perhaps my dog hearing is sensitive. Regardless, jury is still out on this long term.Great idea, just shakey on a v-6. V-8 work better as it is balanced. Still it is a noble attempt at 2 mpg.
  • socamposocampo Member Posts: 7
    For those wondering if there is an extra connector behind the head-unit for the AUX button, the answer is no. Take note, this only applies to an '06 EXL head-unit with the in-dash CD-changer (no RES or NAV), which is what I have. I pulled out the head-unit last weekend to see if I can hook up the auxiliary adapter I took out from my '04 Odyssey. All connectors at the back are all spoken for. There are no extra connectors available. I guess I need to come up with another way of hooking up my MP3 player. Any suggestions (other than the FM transmitter which I hate)?
  • floatingcloudfloatingcloud Member Posts: 27
    I bought an EX AWD, which shows XM ready. What does that mean? What do I need to do to receive satellite radio?

Thanks!
    Great work! Thanks. It is IMPORTANT to distinguish between the units WITH NAV and WITHOUT NAV, as you mentioned. They are DIFFERENT! The units WITHOUT NAV possibly will NOT be able to use the AUX function, but the units WITH NAV possibly WILL have some use for it, because there is reportedly an actual wired input for the AUX function on the units WITH the NAV. You can see the difference because the units WITH NAV reportedly have a dedicated AUX button located all the way to the right-front side, which might be activated in the near future by an upcoming Honda accessory. This is not official yet. THANKS AGAIN!
  • comancoman Member Posts: 11
    I'm planning to buy an 06 Pilot EXL in the next couple of months. I have a 97 Mercury Mountaineer to trade in which has low mileage and is in great condition except for a small dent about the diameter of a tennis ball next to the right rear door where some Bozo backed into me in a parking lot about a year ago. I've gotten estimates of about $475 to fix it.

My question is whether it would be to my adavantage to fix the dent before trying to work a deal or to just go with it as is? I appreciate you're opinions. Thanks.
    Trade-in values for SUVs are so depressed I wonder if it'd make much difference fixing the dent. Have you thought about selling it yourself and telling a buyer that you knocked $500 off the price for the ding?

Check with the pros over in Real-World Trade-In Values too. And ask around for a "Dent King" quote.

Steve, Host
  • aggiebradaggiebrad Member Posts: 6
    Hi,

I just bought an '06 EX this weekend, and wanted to check if anyone else is experiencing a rattling sound coming from the upper part of the seat belt side pillars on both the driver and passenger side. The rattles are not there when the car is stationary, but appear when moving and are accentuated on rough surfaces. I suspected the seat belt hight adjustment mechanisms, but I tried touching them while the rattle was going on and it had no damping effect.

I know that no car will be rattle free, but this is a significant annoyance. And the fact that it happens on both sides of the car indicates to me that this is not a lone defect in my Pilot.

Anyone tried having this rattle corrected by the dealer?

Thanks!
  • bahondaguybahondaguy Member Posts: 17
    I'd appreciate any input you all have. I just bought a new 06 EXL AWD and on its first tank I filled up when it was half full and we calculated 14.79MPG mixed driving (75% City/25% Hwy) and then on the first full tank fill up (about same driving ratio) it was an abysmal 12.49MPG!! I try to keep revs under 3500RPM and I do not do alot of bumper to bumper. Currently car has about 371 Miles total on it in about a 2 weeks of driving and I do not haul anything heavy or used the AWD.

Thanks!
    Hi.

In my 06 EXL, I heard not so much a rattle but what sounded like rubber against metai sound (light sqeak) in the same area you reported. Could that be same thing? If so, I suspect that the rubber seals in the door are rubbing against the metal in the door frame. A little mineral oil might help.

Good luck
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    That's a pretty city-heavy mix, but I'd still suggest trying this.
    qbrozen, "Honda Pilot Owners: MPG-Real World Numbers" #43, 23 Sep 2005 1:15 pm

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

It's definitely not a squeak in my car. I've tried using my hand to dampen the rattle by touch various parts like the seat-belt adjuster, window, etc.), but it doesn't change the rattle. Thanks for your suggestion about the squeaking though.

-Brad
    I've noticed a little "buzzing" rattle on the drivers side by the seatbelt on the B pillar in my '06 EXL. I haven't found the source yet, and it's not constant. Just a little annoying. Sometimes these early rattles work themselves out over time. I'm taking my car in tomorrow and I'll ask the service guys if they know anything about this.

tom

PS I have been in rattle free cars- they just cost 2-3 times as much! :D
    It's like a scavenger hunt getting to your idle-learn post with the pdf link, Gbrozen. :-)

Here's a shortcut:

qbrozen, "Honda Pilot Owners: Problems & Solutions" #731, 9 Aug 2004 8:58 am

Steve, Host
    yeah, its my sad way of having fun. ;b

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Steve,

Thanks for the link. Hate to be ignorant, but are you telling me I should do the idle learn procedure and that it may not have been completed on the PDI? I'd imagine it should have been, but who knows? Also, is this the same procedure for the 2006, since it is drive by wire?

I'll blow through two more tanks before I really am miffed. Plus I have yet to open it up (go above 3500 rpm yet). I'll wait til at least 600-1000 mi before I do that, but that is a month away at least.

D
    Heh, if it hadn't been for Gbrozen popping in I would have simply told you to let the engine break-in for a few tanks before getting too worried.

Dealers are a bit notorious for skipping pre-delivery items. Check your tires - if they are over-inflated that's another sign they may have glossed stuff over.

Steve, Host
    Hi tom,

Please do let me know if they identify the source of the problem. I'll probably be back at my dealer in a week or so and will ask them also.

Thanks, Brad
  • comancoman Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for the help. I didn't know about the trade-in forum. I'll see what the folks have to suggest there.

Yes, I've thought about selling it myself but, in this market, it may just sit in front of my house and rust! Don't think the wife or the neighbors would appreciate that!

Thanks again.
    good question.

well, i started searching around to find the answer, and the only bit of info I could track down are instructions for an accessory on College Hills Honda site for the '06 Pilot. Basically, after reconnecting the battery at the end of the instructions, one of the steps is to perform the PCM idle learn procedure. So, if these instructions are indeed accurate for the '06, then the procedure does still apply.

• khoakhoa Member Posts: 64
    XM ready = wired for XM, you still need to get an XM receiver
    I read the complaints about gas mileage, Iam still on my first tank which appeared full when I got it. I have now 360 Mi and no empty tank warning has come on yet - Iam a couple of the fine bars above the red mark (1/16, give or take). My driving is somewhere between city and highway (never actually had it on highway, but live in a suburban area where you typically cruise along at 45-55mph with stoplights 1-3 miles apart.)

A/C has been on most of the time (Tucson,AZ - still in the high 80's). 60-70% of the time I run on 3 cyl (ECO light ON) and I accelerate "normal" from stoplights, keeping with the flow. Brgds Tom

PS. I noticed that the AWD is about 200LBS heavier than the 2WDR - no question that if you're heavy on your foot, this will make more of a difference than the nominal 17/22 - 18/24
  • cracoviancracovian Member Posts: 337
    I sent my 2005 Pilot EX-L to Warsaw, Poland and it's been on the road there for the past week. It will be registered locally but there are some issues that have to be resolved in the next month and a half. The headlights can be adjusted to euro standards, a rear fog light can be added, however, the taillights need an amber turn signal, and a few local shops said it would be challenging if not impossible.

The new 2006 rear light covers would be much easier to modify and they can be ordered for $142 a piece. The delership in Atlanta is unable to give me a definite answer but the shape seems to be the same when I look at the pics of 2005s and 2006s. Does anyone know if these can be swapped? Should I get them?
    Cracovian,

From all accounts and brief inspeaction of the lights in a 2005 and 2006, it looks the same to me, but I cannot be 100% sure until I have tried fitting them myself.

On eBay, you can find replacement (aftermarket) taillights for the 03-05 pilots that are clear and very similar to the 2006 versions.

Here is an example: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-2005-HONDA-PILOT-BLACK-TYC-TAIL-LIGHTS_W0QQcmdZViewIte- mQQcategoryZ33716QQitemZ8013244778QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Hope that is helpful.

Cheers!
  • cracoviancracovian Member Posts: 337
    Thank you so much for the link! Those ebay lights look good, are much cheaper, and can be sent to Warsaw directly. This is the best solution - thanks again.
  • alexashaalexasha Member Posts: 51
    I will pick up my 4wd EXL with Nav this weekend. It does come with some kind of security system, but my dealer claims that honda has more advanced kind, that protects "better" He was not able to provide any details. Honda rep did not know anything about security system. Does anybody knows about different type of security systems.
    It comes with an alarm and immobilizer chip in the key. There is no shock or glass breakage sensor- so the alarm doesn't go off unless you open a door.

Basically if a professional thief wants your car, no alarm will stop them. If it's just some kids, the stock alarm will be fine.

My insurance company has given me the maximum discount with the stock alarm- it's like $20 per year. I added an antitheft gps system called mobile guardian which lets me track the car whenever I want and will tell me if the car exceeds a certain speed (like if you have kids!) which I though would be fun, but not really necessary.

tom
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,255
    your mention of speed guardian brings back some (bad) memories for me. since it was not a honda, it is not techically on topic, but maybe it will be ok to post about.
    back when i was in high school, my dad had a buick electra 225 (455 ci engine). it had a pointer on the speedometer that could be set to buzz if you exceeded the mph it was set at. kind of like setting your alarm clock.
    my cousin from out of town was visited us for the weekend, and it was decided my best buddy and i could drive her back to school.
    we started out and about a mile from home the engine started making a rattling noise. on the highway, the engine overheated, and we limped to a gas station. my friend and i attempted a repair which was a total failure, so we ended up calling my parents and telling them the car broke down and we were stranded.
    bad news for me was that at some point, i turned the speed alarm all the way up to 120 mph. this is the first thing my dad looked at. the ride home after dropping my cousin off was not pleasant. so dad, up there, 30+ years later, i really wasn't messing around with your car. my friend dave will back me up.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    My mom had a Buick station wagon with that feature back in the 60's. Every once in a while one of us kids would set it for 38 or some other low number and scare her when the alarm buzz would go off heading out of town.

Steve, Host
  • alexashaalexasha Member Posts: 51
    Thank you for the input
    Where do you get mobile guardian?
    HOw much does it cost. I found their website, but no prices or dealers in where I live.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,255
    LOL!!! darn, i wish i thought of something like that. i still think i got in more trouble. :sick:
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • dtos01dtos01 Member Posts: 22
    Anyone who has one please let me know the features of the Navi as far as tracking the status of the car and specifically MPG. Thanks!